the Rift

One.

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers

I wasn’t talking to you and you weren’t asking me much. You just sat there in a hoop in one of my ears, swinging along serenely as you watched me dig up those pieces of a blade. Yeah, I had hidden them somewhere remote, packing the dirt hard so that no one or nothing would accidently stumble on it. I don’t know what it was about that sword that made me want to sweat and work a whole bunch--whatever. I worked in silence anyway and you understood it enough to keep silent too, because things were passing between us whether we liked it or not and there were deep things in me that you knew I wasn’t ready to talk about.

The sun was setting before I had finally succeeded in gathering all the pieces again. I bound them together with some shitty wire I had found laying around somewhere--and with that, I draped the whole bundle across my back and set out south again, faking you out when you thought we were going back to the forest that you loved so much--but it turned out we were going somewhere else a lot more mystic.

A lot more scary.

The last time I had come here, I was with Leos and we had been shouting at the top of our lungs and it was a blast of awkward forgetfulness. That passed, though, just like every other bout of forced amnesia that I’ve ever made myself go through. I was gonna have to get out of that horrible habit of mine: that habit of willful ignorance. My eyes were open and even though my sight was still kinda blurry, that didn’t mean I had an excuse to miss the things sitting right in front of me.

I wasn’t expecting perfection. I mean--I’m me. But I gotta start somewhere.

Your little black eyes were probably sparkling with the delight I was feeling from you as you gazed at the shimmering blue fire that swirled around us. I was feeling things that were a lot more sober--memories of a tirade that I said we weren’t gonna talk about anymore, so we ain’t. But I came upon the broken stones that I had lounged sloppily over once before, about two years ago. Except now I was standing tall and--well, not proud, but my eyes were steady even though you were scurrying down to my brow to get a better look at what I was looking at.

I’ll admit: I got stuck.

You can’t just say sorry. You can’t just look your Pa in the eye and say “lol sorry bro that was weird”, like someone totally didn’t die because of it. ”Sorry” don’t mean shit, and it never will if it only ever comes out of your mouth. And boy, it had come out of mine so many times, spilling onto a crystal floor and a tangled white mane. I took a deep, heavy breath, slowly exhaling while I dropped the complexity of my worries in my head--and let my tongue do all the work for me.

Three things.

“I get it,” I said in a low, somber voice; you wiggled a little bit with the vibration of it reverberating around the inside of my skull. I get it. I know now; I know better, you had told me so but I was still thick enough to mamby-pamby my ass around the bush instead of getting shit done. I get it. I understood what you meant by darkness you couldn’t penetrate, a darkness I had seen, a darkness I had the power to help you intercept; I understood what you meant by the balance of the gods, and what it meant for you to be shackled to an ancient promise made thousands of years before anyone even had the thought to create this place, much less me. I understood what my place was supposed to be.

I didn’t know what that meant for the future. I just understood now.

I lowered my head and you scurried down from the bridge of my nose and onto the cold stones that was the broken shrine. I smiled down at you, the curve in my mouth damn-near painful, because it always almost hurt seeing you so small and bursting with light and curious and paddling your little feetsies all over the rock--

...Thanks, Pa,” I breathed. And that was my second thing.

With a grunt, I rolled my shoulders, shrugging the metal blade-plates off my back. They fell with a clang! and a clatter and I swore I saw your tiny body jump once or twice, but it didn’t fall close enough to you to be a danger. I closed my eyes for a minute--confused a little bit, and overwhelmed, too, with this…thing I was working on asking. I chewed on it on my tongue before I let it flutter from my lips, and it was a lot stronger than how I felt at that moment:

“I found this up north, locked in a glacier,” I explained, my voice still low, haunted, like my tongue knew I stood on hallowed grounds and hushed my voice because of it, “I don’t...I’ve never seen anything like it. Could...Would you tell me what it is? What it was?

I fell silent; I opened my eyes finally, because I wasn’t trying to look away from him when he inevitably showed his ass. He was gonna show. He owed an ass-whoopin’.

[If possible, I would like this to take place before the events of “The Last Sacrifice”

Using Roskuld’s COTM VOTG pass to quest for the restoration of Sparkmarrow (in other words, to enchant the Decrepit Old Sword she found).

[Random Event] @[God of the Spark]]

talk

Like stars burning holes right through the dark
Flicking fire like saltwater into my eyes</style>

Please tag ROSKULD in every reply!

God of the Spark Posts: 111
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 15.3hh :: Ageless
Admin

The GOD of the SPARK

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate of everyone drops to zero

The God sighed into being. His body rippled and warped, parting the time-streams to allow his stout form to slip through as unceremoniously as possible. Pomp and circumstance was better saved for his worshipers and those he needed to use. His child needed grand entrances like he needed his conceited sister's irrational musings.

Clearly the God had been distracted as of late, for there was an air of surprise and curiosity intermingled with his normal expression of passive impatience. For all of his pseudo-omniscience, there was much the God didn't know. Having access to all of space and time was not the same as actually wading through it all. His focus had been upon his sister, and whether or not Helovia was in for any more of her little philosophically imbued surprises. He certainly hoped not, although she had taken her jail sentence quite easily. There was something unnerving about how quickly and quietly she slipped into the mists of her lands, and the God didn't want to be on the ass-end of any more of her games.

So while he hadn't actively been keeping an eye on his only child, he was able to arrive almost immediately when she called. In the big scheme of things as far as Godly parents go, he figured he was in first place. Both of his brothers were on protege #2, and Moony? Well she certainly wasn't winning any parental awards any time soon.

"I see he delivered your gift." The God rumbled, eyeing the Rougarou. None of his siblings had ever gifted their children with such a companion. Father of the Year? Just maybe.

Quickly his eyes flashed to the sword his daughter had heaved onto the ground. Immediately his ears plastered themselves against his skull, and his breathing quickened. His composure quickly resumed, but still his electric gaze eyed the sword with an intense and almost palpable concern. "That ... is something I have not seen for a very long time." In the air, thunder and lightning crashed and flashed out of no where. The smell of rain suddenly hung stagnant as the vapid scent of electricity wafted down from seemingly invisible storm clouds. His gaze narrowed as it pulled away from the item, and back to his child. "And that's saying something." He concluded, his voice lightning slightly as the ethereal scent and sounds of his anger dispersed.

"You found it in a glacier ..." He repeated her words, clearly rolling them around in his vast mind. "Long before you mortals came to these lands, others called them their own. Unburdened by the tentative mortality that your lot clings to, these creatures roamed with a sense of unbridled hubris and self importance. They came from worlds other than these, through gateways forged by the darkest and most terrifying of magics." His words rang with the air of an accomplished storyteller, and yet his gaze was hazy and distant, as if he was remembering, rather than reiterating. "My kin and I ... resolved the threat that their kind held, not simply so that your kind could thrive here, but for the safety of the entire world. Monsters of the kind that even your nightmares could not conjure. "

His nostrils flared as his gaze re-focused and dropped to the sword. Who had bound it with twine? Was it happenstance? Or had someone really tried to put the pieces back together? "One monster .. Drolgatha proved to be one of the most powerful. Her strength was not physical, but mental. She was a master of deception and deflection. A true artisan of death. That ..." He couldn't bear to call the thing a sword in its current condition. "... those pieces are all that is left of a blade once called Sparkmarrow - one that I wielded long, long ago. It fell into a place where not even time could find Drolgatha. But those doors were closed ... the links between the worlds sealed. That it is here now.." His voiced trailed off with a deadly seriousness.

If it was back, was she ?

"...is a problem." He concluded frankly.

CREDITS: Tamme & Boom

And look at that. There he was, struttin’ right out the nether like it wasn’t shit. And—to him—I guess it wasn’t.

I didn’t realize I had been holding my breath—at least, until I was kinda forced out of me when he started eyeing you. I reached for you, then, and you pitter-pattered your way off of his shrine and onto my proffered muzzle, climbing your way up my face and settling into the depression in my horn. “Yeah,” I said quietly, something nostalgic settling on my eyes for a moment. “It was weird as hell.”

I didn’t anticipate how interested you’d be in meeting my Pa. I’ve never felt you be so intense about your curiosity and your scrutiny as you watched him materialize, a being straight out of the thread and fabric of our very universe, all cool ‘n polished like a straight thug. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that you never seen anyone that looked remotely like me before. Short ‘n…awesome, I guess. Or maybe it was because I had told you before we got here that this was my Pa that we were gonna meet, and you still didn’t know what one of those was—so I guess you were thinking a Pa is someone with a peen, too, and they’re pretty much higher-tiered brothers. Somehow, that logic makes sense.

I could never shake this sense of nervousness that I got every time I saw my Pa. Even though this was the first time I had gone to see him willingly, of my own volition—he hadn’t called me here for once—I still felt a chill looking at it, wondering if I were in any sort of position to look the bastard in his eye. He was my Pa—but he was still a god, right? Still wasn’t sure what that meant for me in terms of etiquette. Ain’t like I knew the fucker on first-name basis.

(Does my father have a name?)

The nervousness didn’t help when I saw his ears pin and his whole body tense—and suddenly the world was tense and there was petrichor in the air and flashes of lightning so quick and hot the only evidence of their existence was their imprint in my retinas. Then…he was fine and the world calmed its breath, but that only shook me up even more , because I suddenly didn’t know the playing field anymore and what sort of game piece I had brought before him in the form of a sword.

But then—he told me.

I stood transfixed--mesmerized-- as my Pa wove a tale about something that I’d never really had a chance to learn about—the past. And I ain’t talkin’ about no personal history or any of that shit. I was learning a story about the earth I walked on, about the bones my reality was structured from. I mouthed the name Drolgathaas he spoke it—a title so bad-ass and terrifying, I wasn’t bound to forget the shit any time soon. I got starstruck at the idea of my Pa wielding anything--but especially with the idea that I had found something he had fought with, that he, too, had tied his own blood and sweat into the metal of this thing, long before it was rusted and lost in the north. It felt…it was like there was a tie between us now that didn’t drive me insane to think about, something tangible I could hold onto—something I could feel pride in. The tiny flame that started to flicker in my chest didn’t last long, though; cold reality drowned it.

*”But those doors were closed ... the links between the worlds sealed. That it is here now…is a problem."*

I felt my mouth go dry. “You—I didn’t—” For an absurd moment, I thought I was the one who opened the portal by carving out some shitty glacier up in the north. I snorted the panic out through my nose, taking a breath against the rising tempo of my heart. Had to keep my head straight. Sounded like more shit was coming, and losing my head wouldn’t do anything to fix it. “…Drogaltha could be here, too,” I breathed, finishing the thought, “Or…or whatever the hell else was trapped in that place.”

I looked down to the heap of metal with wide eyes. It had seemed so bitchin’ before I knew its history—and I guess it even seemed better with the tale. But my mind was growing its own personal Drolgatha and she was huge and shadowy and she had a face I didn’t wanna think about—but all that really mattered was that Drolgatha was alive and kickin’ and fierce in my mind, and fuck me if this wasn’t just some heap of shitty rust. “You tellin’ me this piece of shit could take down a monster? I asked, nudging the pile with a hoof, something urgent crawling into my voice.

talk

Helovian Ancient
Admin

The GOD of the SPARK

In hindsight the God watched the battle, trying to figure out what went wrong. These were memories he hadn't accessed for ... well, to say years would be an understatement. Grumbling, his senses reminded him that he was not alone. With a grunt, the God struck the ground and seemingly shattered the very fabric of reality. A tear opened, and through it rushed what appeared to be a river, composed of time rather than liquid.

"Watch." He grunted without emotion, sliding his stout frame over to make room for his daughter to stand at his side. What they saw, obscured slightly by ripples in the stream waters of time, was this:

The world looked far different, so unlike anything in Helovia that they could have been looking at another planet. Trees that grew in colours almost unimaginable were buffeted by winds which were visible. Magic ran rampant in these days in a way that the Gods had stopped before any of the original generation had arrived. Flickers of multiple dimensions bled through the sky, and the world was cluttered by every aspect of both the visible (and the invisible) light spectrum. Radio waves, x-rays, gamma rays - all could be seen. The world was a chaotic jumble of magic and beauty, and it was being destroyed.

The scene suddenly shifted, focusing. It was through the eyes of the God that they watched. His kin fought at his side, though their targets were different. His Earthen brother was focused on the earth, and the diseases that the monsters had introduced. Great worms and landsharks devoured all they encountered, and were seemingly fixated on reaching the core of the planet. His fiery counterpart was busy fighting off entities who tried to combine all light into one massive ball of energy. Different light particles were bound together in a way that defied physics. Finally, his sister was being dealing with the demons who came from alternate dimensions: doppelgangers and shape shifters.

But the God of the Spark was focused solely on her. The great bitch who had manipulated all of the lessor demons into doing her work. Drolgatha, like the man who had visited Ros in the forest, had no form. Her face constantly shifted behind a black cloak, which was somehow both dingy and unimpressive, and yet highly reflective and textured. Only her crimson eyes and wicked smile remain fixed.

In the stream, Sparkmarrow came into view. Wielded by a hand of electricity, the blade opened a rift between the worlds. Like a black hole, the rift began to pull and devour all within its pull. The God's kin forced their demons into the rift while he tried to ensnare Drolgatha.

Knowing pride would be her downfall, the God doubled down on a plan that would either win this war, or lose them everything.

He proceeded unafraid.

The hand of electricity holding the blade suddenly flung the sword forward. Carried on visible currents of electricity, it hurled towards the rift. As it grew nearer it began to move faster until finally its trajectory was guided by the rift, rather than the God's electricity. With a hiss, Drolgotha lunged for it. Her hands talons gripped it just before it would devoured by the darkness, a smile of success and triumph appearing beneath the folds of the cloak. She hissed her dominance as her red eyes turned towards the God.

Although his smile could not be seen through the time river, it could be felt. Lightning flashed from the sword, binding and freezing Drolgotha. Every fibre of her being was being simultaneously over stimulated by the current flowing through the sword, as well as fixed in time. Without her magic to hold her in place, the bitch flew into the rift. With an exhausted rear, the God's hooves struck the ground forever closing the rift.

Narrowing his eyes, the God leaned forward. Although in the memory he had turned away, the God adjusted the time stream so that both he and Ros could focus on the closing of the portal, rather than the sounds of jubilation from he and his kin.

The blackness closed, with a sound that resembled a giant zipper. At its base, hardly larger than the size of a pebble, remained dark. A red eye, knowing and wicked peered through that hole, before pulling back and disappearing all together. Time raced by quickly as the time stream sped up. Decades raced past, and Helovia began to look more and more like it did now. The vision remained stationary on where the rift had closed, and once it had slowed down into present day, can you guess what it showed?

Those mother fucking icebergs.

The infinitely small cracked which was left open, was just visible through the time stream if you knew where to look. And through it, after all those decades, that same red eye appeared.

And it was smiling.

"It didn't close." The God breathed breathlessly, raising his muzzle from the waters. His lips were tight and thin, and for a moment his body wavered with electricity so fiercely that it looked as though he might explode. "I am a fucking idiot." He concluded after a moment, grinding his teeth together. Spitting into the time stream, it suddenly dried up and disappeared, as the God looked at the broken pieces of sword.

"She used it to hold the rift open ... But if that's what the sword looked like when it came through .. I can only imagine how she looks."

Turning to Ros with a deadly and unquestioning seriousness, he regarded his child now. It didn't matter if she was ready, it didn't matter if he was reckless by asking this of her. She was the child of fucking time, and her time had come.

"We have to find her."

My Pa went silent, ignoring my words and brooding over…something, and even though I stood stock-still, my breath barely fluttering from my nose, everything else on the inside of me squirmed like mad, the sticky anticipation and anxiousness crawling up my spine like spiders of frost, piercing and degrading and making it hard to swallow. Then the tension snapped inside me as I watched the earth tear itself to make room for an eerie stream to flow through, dancing with things I knew, and didn’t know what the same time (Time is everything and nothing at all.).

Watch, he says to me. I come to his side, my eyes glued to the churning of the time stream.

The things we saw….well. Technically I shouldn’t have been able to understand the shit; it felt like I was looking into things that were taboo, because it was a paradox, wasn’t it, for me to see the world I lived in so altered by the past (but how can the past alter when it’s a record of what used to be--)? I watched the scene fly by my eyes with bated breath—and (shut up) I felt a blatant chill of horror erupt inside me when looked upon Drolgatha’s face (come, come comma--), at the strangeness of her red eyes, the maliciousness in her grin, the delight she had in the destruction that reigned all around her.

Turns out my Pa’s a cocky bastard. But could you blame him, with the brilliance he wielded against such a scary-ass hag? Because the Sparkmarrow in his grasp was a totally different thing than the rusted pile of bullshit I had pulled from the ice (--a record of what used to be--), totally decked out in every hue of blue and white light that could possibly be imagined by the eye. It didn’t look like metal, or a blade, or any of that shit; it looked like he was wielding the most radiant shard of lightning ever wrought by the huge metal smith in the sky.

My Pa went hard, and so did Sparkmarrow.

But of course it didn’t end with his eventual victory over SpookyBitch, because nothing can be easy and the world makes it a point to be as shitty as possible. By this point I was almost suffocating; I had been holding my breath for so long that I had started getting slightly dizzy, and when the world sped forward to our present era, you could feel a weave and a wobble in me from where you were perched on my head. Then we saw the glacier, sitting exactly where I had found it, where I had chipped into its center to retrieve a prize I shouldn’t have been able to find in the first place. And there was that strange red eye again.

I can’t even begin to tell you how horrifying it is to hear a GOD admit that they’re a fucking idiot. That’s what jumpstarted my breathing again—when he said that shit and I burst out two quick barks of laughter, both of them loud and bitter and unsettled and totally unintentional, but there they were, free and foolish and flying out of my mouth before I could reign it back in. And—no, I wasn’t laughing at my Pa. I was laughing at some cosmic joke that had haunted me from the very beginning, the punchline of which I had learned when I woke up one day, and I had grown.

But the laughter was gone just as soon as it left me, because it was misplaced from the start and the chill inside me was getting so much worse. He looked at me, blue eyes hard and piercing and unmistakable in their message—and I looked back, and I can’t even say what was going on in my own gaze.

*”We have to find her.”*

My mouth creaked open—empty of words, of air, of anything, and even you were frozen to my ear, petrified by the same ice that was sliding down my throat, piercing enough to rebound against our link. “Pa…” was all I could squeeze out—and even I didn’t know what I meant by it.

It was so soon after the complete and utter failure that was the Moonlit hell that we had all been subject to—a hell that not even god’s blood could escape. Did he not remember how I fucked up THAT task? Did he not remember the sacrificed my Toto had to make because none of us were competent enough to bring the Moon bitch to her heels before his blood was needed to be shed? But now here was an ancient threat that even put my Pa on hold just to talk about her—and here he was, looking at me with that look, that look that screamed and shouted and asked and demanded and expected and scrutinized and and and—

And it’s not like I had a choice, did I? (--whether you believe it or not, you are powerful, strong enough to change the course of history if you wanted--) It’s not like I could just let this threat slide by and ignore the shit with a clean and clear conscience. It’s not like I could look at those strange red eyes and sleep easy knowing that she’s somewhere out there, lingering in the darkness and in the hearts of all the people I—(--red tips, silver lights, blue eyes, gold trim and the heart of it--)

but still.

“I’m 0-3, Pa,” I said quietly, my voice just as serious as his, even if it was subdued. Was it cowardice? Was it laziness? Nah, bro; that shit was honest. The Darkness, the Infection, the Murders—all of them had dropped on my watch, and I had utterly failed my part in all of those things. There can only be so many chances before something has proven its failure, completely and totally.

I was thinking for the future, and what it would mean if this was just one more thing I failed.

talk

Helovian Ancient
Admin

The GOD of the SPARK

The seriousness that his expression bore did not change as his child admitted her previous failures. He knew of them already, could re-watch them and scrutinize them for error any time that he chose. Was it for his benefit that she was expressing her uncertainty now, or hers.

It didn't matter.

"Then I suggest you change that." He muttered. No fatherly affection, no consolation, no words of encouragement. She was a fool if she expected anything more from him. "We can't afford to fuck this up. Go - I'll meet you there."

His words lingered in the air longer than his body did. In a burst of electricity the God disappeared, leaving only the smell of something which had burned among the petrichor.

When you're ready for your quest to 'begin', go to the Frozen Arch and use the RE tag.