the Rift

[OPEN] I don't know how right should feel [open]

Ulrik the Engineer Posts: 235
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1 hh :: 11 HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kirchoff :: Common Hellhound :: Superspeed Tamme
Ulrik
the engineer
Ulrik didn’t know what right was, let alone what it should feel like. For so long he shoved his emotions down, pretended that they were not there (and sometimes they weren’t). He was numb inside and out, staring through unfeeling, solid bronze eyes at the world which hummed and churned like a machine, but what he saw with that bolt of lightning was chaos. Sure, patterns lived in chaos, but that was so unexpected, unpredictable, and unsettling, even for the engineer who admired such bright, natural shows of force. In a single second, the king of a herd was reduced to nothing, a soulless body smoking, patchy and damaged. All of his items were gone (taken by the Time God when he was looking away), and he had been left speechless.

No one should die that way. Even he recognized that fact, so when his instinct to hide the evidence and burn the body had subsided with the chastising of Essetia’s lovely voice, he had tried – more than he had ever tried before. Ulrik, the creature of few words and isolation felt sorrow. Under the cover of nightfall, he had dragged Midas’ body into the snow, preserving it beneath a layer of ice, and he had worked hard on making a machine that would carry his body across fast growing snow to the bulk of Helovia. Tirelessly, he maintained this rhythm, speaking to no one as he set about his task.

When he was done, he sent the machine in motion, a simple platform with four, mechanical wheels. Ulrik found Midas in the snow, tearing it up with his cloven hooves and heaving the dead weight onto the metal surface with a straining yank from his back and hips, teeth pulling on the large, white tail. As he stared at the body, he wondered what Essetia would think, trying to see the body through her eyes – the eyes of a friend. With care he had never truly expressed before, he placed all of Midas’ appendages in a natural pose – as natural as he could manage, and closed his eyes with his lips.

He couldn’t fix or hide the damage from the shock, and he hoped that he was doing the right thing. So much was uncertain about this journey, the outcome far too unknown for his comfort. Creatures with souls were so taciturn and unpredictable, and he preferred to stay away. But, here he was venturing into the fray with controversial data and a dead body well beloved by most, and he felt his tongue thicken in his throat. Head bowed and mind churning, he set the machine in motion again, walking it through ice and snow that gathered on his black pelt. He barely felt the cold, lost in his head as he was.

The Engineer arrived at the base of the Heavily Fields, knowing that his machine could never make it up the path – not easily anyway. He stood awkwardly by the body he had delivered, a deep frown marring his black, velvety lips. Bronze eyes did not shine today as he stared awkwardly at the ground, not sure that he would be able to speak – even if he had to. Instead, he turned to where he hoped Essetia would be. “You can go,” he said quietly. “You must hate me…” the words were whispered, and he wasn’t sure she would hear at all. Ulrik stood listlessly, so uncharacteristic for the magnetic, vibrant and darkly lit engineer, and he was afraid.

[[Ulrik is delivering Midas' body on a platform machine with 4 wheels
-- @[Essetia] can go free, and I hope she is able to accompany his body ;-;
]]
Image Credit to Imi

(Please tag me in every post)

Thranduil the Laurelin Posts: 598
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 11 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: Eight HP: 77 | Buff: ENDURE
Haldir :: Common Cerndyr :: Dark Mist Hawk

THRANDUIL

A groan he lets slip as his hooves wander aimlessly over Helovia. A black cloak, which he had found in the cave of a waterfall lay across his back. Little could he perceive its strange magic. He had been up for nearly two days, not to mention had drug his soul through the trenches, and flashed his blade in the firey belly of battle. So you’ll forgive him for a moment, for not realizing he was invisible. The cloak upon his back, shapeless and black, with an opal crest hidden in its folds, was an invisibility cloak. A rare piece of magic it was, which he carried, and he did not even know. His earth eyes, pitless, and distant were still tangled in the mess of Kahlua, whom he had left on the battlefield. The hawk charm beat like his heart against his chest, and it rang louder than all the noises about him. It was a walking zombie.

So it would take death to waken him. Well, nearly running into it. So dead were his senses he nearly walks into Ulrik’s machine. Jerking to a halt the invisible golden freezes, and in another second, awakens. Not though to himself or the live creatures around him. He awakens to the dead. There, right before him, on a platform was Midas. At least, it used to be Midas. Wings, though laying with a dignity at his sides were charred, feathers singed and rustled. Golden ends, not nothing but black. Body was laced with lacerations and gore which made even the golden’s stomach (having survived through battle), twist and knot. Worse of all, the smell of burnt flesh made every nerve tinge and shiver for his own mortality. Midas was dead.

Stumbling the golden backs away from the machine, just as Ulrik turns to him. Earth eyes shake away and body straightens. Ulrik had done this?! Now the golden was an enemy of the czar as frightful as any, but death. After crushing his homeland, and his family, it was too cruel- too- wait. A tremble in the dark engineer’s eyes, and a continuous awakening of the golden’s brain shows the emotion hitting the gold at his core. Sorrow. Pain. Shame? No, Ulrik had not killed him. Face wrinkles with confusion as he gazes back to the body, his own form, still loathing to be so close to the burnt shell of the king. Clues, began to connect, and theories to click. The storms. He glanced to the mountains in the north. Of course the storms were terrible through the night. The rumbling of thunder could be heard even from the battlefield. Lightening. A trembling rustles body, but a voice cracks through the ill sensation.

He could go? Body braced and head turns back to the dark engineer. Why was he saying this? Why-Then he sees those gold eyes look past him. And for the first time the gold looks down, and at last does not see his hooves, nor limbs. His brain checks on its rank magic, but finds it quiet and still. With a slow head he turns to the item that would have been on his back, had it been visible. Shaking his horned head the gold can not take it all in. Nor does he want to. The burnt body was all too much, the battle, the emotion, too much. Sleep. That’s what he needed. He was quick to find an excuse for letting his instincts grab him too strongly. He was just over reacting for lack of it. Suddenly his northern hide away, the cave, dark and still seemed like a palace. Turning, and brushing back the spy he knew only vaguely as Essetia he moves, still like a zombie, away from the scene.

"lieslieslies"

[Image: 5381546acbe33]
Feel free to use any force/magic on Thranduil, short of killing him.
Please tag in every post.
Ask Thranduil any question in the world, he'll be forced to answer on his profile. PM with your question.

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

She perched by the northern entrance to her home - the battlefield, now lost, and stained by the blood of their family. Healers, Resplendence and Alysanne (both mares once thought well of) had summoned the wounded to their care and the irony of that double-edged courtesy struck the frail parrot-mare to the bone. Africa watched with twisting, bitter thoughts as morning spilt new light through the land which looked so alien after all of it. The Earth God had betrayed his dearest follower - or so was her perspective. Midas had loved and served Him faultlessly, faithfully, above all else in this world. It was the cruelest treason, and her her heart ached terribly for the hurt which would no doubt consume her lover, upon his return.

“They can have Him…” she whispered grimly into the cool wind.

Silas had flown ahead to scout the borderline ahead before his weary, wounded beloved fell upon it. They could not know what the conniving creatures of the north were planning, still. Arah had portrayed their dishonesty perfectly, the truth of their hideous nature, and both the Roc and his bonded were suspicious. Though the stench of the butchery behind him was as thick across the region as salt was upon the coast, the immaculate northern brim of Hidden Falls suggested nothing but the purity which had been since its creation - the Windtossed Foothills had long been dead in their world. It was with a grieving heart that he climbed between the draped vines, the whistling roses and the old-world trees; they were so beautiful, but so damaged all the same by the heinous act delivered upon the soil that fed them.

What would become of them from this point, of those true souls who did indeed follow the Gallant and the Cadaverous…

There was movement ahead, by the base of the old mountain across whose jagged peak lay the open field once fought across for Africa’s safety. Sharp violet eyes narrowed carefully toward the dark figures - slow shadows lurking beyond the cusp. He cared not to worry the mind of his resting beloved some meters back, and slipped from one canopy the the high, gnarled arms of another even closer. He knew not the face of the black Unicorn stallion - but the manner of his lingering did not help to ease growing distrust. There was another though with him, the mare who had been stolen - Essetia… A wary rumble resonated through the flared breast of the watching bird and his keen gaze dropped to the peculiar contraption beside which they stood.

It was a cart - of sorts - not that Silas had ever before seen anything of its kind; nor did he particularly care for its existence. His eyes found the slumped shell of another and right away he felt a vice like grip choke his throat. With panic rising, he began to search for the flighted figures of Fina (his affection) and the child, Neve. Without thinking, he let a shrill call through the air - only the moan of wind slipping from the range above returned an answer. Thoughts whirled through his mind, and he could no more resist their spread than control his own heating temper. The Roc swooped from his timber perch and his warning scream echoed wildly around them.

Black lashes spread suddenly, revealing the panic in the golden eyes beneath.

’Silas?' she whispered nervously, silently.

There was silence following the strident cry of her bonded; a deceptive tranquility that seemed almost as unnerving as the melancholy in her mind. Though she was tired regardless, and filled with despondence; her gut throbbed excruciatingly and the mangled bone in the wing of the underlying form, Africa could feel the growing storm of bleak blackness through the connection shared with the Zephyr. His eyes were well shielded, every effort made could not penetrate the world which they saw, and that only worried her more. Trembling and with very little strength to draw from, the grey-feathered parrot fell forward through the jungle ahead. “Rah-Rah!” her rough avian voice threw to the wind, ‘Silas, answer me!’

She came upon them as the last ounce of her vigour was failing and to the earth she fell like an old leaf from the sky.

’Please,’ she begged as burning tears began to flow - the magic began to churn through her core. Her puny frame began to shake before the small crowd gathered, and Silas paused protectively above her with wings beating steadily, deliberately. The day began to slow around the couple - dignity the bird could at least provide - and by the time his grip released, she was standing hunched and injured awfully, by the front of the strange trolley-like machine. Blood leaked on from the lance-wound by her bowel, and still the broken wing swung disturbingly, limply to her right. Neither however, seemed to amount to the agony which seized her so suddenly, as her reddened eyes fell upon the defiled shell of her mate.

“What…?” she breathed wretchedly, achingly, as she hesitated before him. ..’happened?’ So terrible was the pain of her thoughts in that moment, that she could barely keep from falling to the grass. Frightened, quivering lips reached forward, ghosting above the cold hard surface of the platform - they touched timidly the lifelessness that possessed him, and recoiled again startled, as the reality unfolding sank in. “He is dead…” she revealed pointlessly, for the sake of herself, for Silas - this stranger, Essetia, already surely knew that fact. Cold, harrowed eyes turned to the familiar mare and there was unquestionable blame pooling through her expression; they switched abruptly to the stallion.

“How… could you?” she choked, devastated, blinded by the hot flurry of water in her eyes.

She knew not where the bronze-eyed creature had come from in truth, but it didn’t take much to guess - both her lover and Essetia had been taken (cunningly) before this heinous assault, the ruin played out in the territory behind. “Is it not enough for your kind to destroy lives…” Africa was angry. His despicable herd had taken everything from her - almost… “Why are you so mean?” She asked, tone dead flat, eyes flaming as the rage beneath spewed up through her tattered body. “Why do you hate us so much, really?” Africa knew they were racists, knew the hearts beating beneath the warm flesh of their breasts was as hard and cold as the stone mountain standing above - they were as artificial as the contraption Midas was draped upon.

Though it pained her even to look upon the face of her sister in that moment, Africa needed respite. Her raw, burning eyes turned to study the face of the other mare before returning. “It was good of you to give him back.” she whispered, grateful at least for such a small mercy in this perpetual war. Stark eyes rose to find his, and they were narrowed, suspicious because those he dwelt beside were expert performers - brilliant in fact. “Thank you.” They were like a ’plague’ infecting every last crevice of this continent…

Art by Angel

Rostislav Posts: 245
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.1hh :: 7 (Frostfall) HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Damaris :: Common Hellhound :: Acid Lauren
I never saw any of this coming. I mean, I suppose I saw the invasion coming, in a way. All the stealths, the increase of sparring not just by the Falls but by so many others.... Though, I had anticipated that the Basin would be the ones to invade, not the World's Edge. What did we ever do to them? Though I was victorious in my spar with Aviya, it was not without great personal cost. My body bruised and broken, I drag myself forward, head low to the ground. The Hidden Falls herd is defeated. I have no idea where Midas is and the fates of my fellows... well as far as I know everyone made it out alive. Many have scattered, though I suspect that they are gathering somewhere in the Wilds. Several stayed behind, and though it feels a little like betrayal, what can I do? I don't entirely blame them - it is the home they know, even if they've had their leaders replaced.

I feel largely responsible for the fall of the Falls. I was one of the generals. I was the LOYAL general. Oxy's betrayal was not surprising, but hurt me deeply all the same. I should have known there was something going on. With the Asylum, the fuss with the different leaders, the falling apart of the Asylum... I should have recruited more warriors, increased the pressure to spar and the repercussions of not doing so. A sigh escapes my lips as I wander, an outcast from the only home I've known, through these so-called 'Heavenly Fields' that grant me no solace for my tortured soul.

Limping through the fields - Africa's healing saved my leg, but did not erase all my pain - I see in the distance a small gathering. But one of those bodies I can recognize from a distance. Africa stands with three others, surrounding some strange formation on the ground, with something on it. I pick up a pained, off-balance trot as I hurry toward them. I need to see Africa, one of the only friendly faces still in my life. Upon reaching her, I examine those that are present. Essetia, one of the Falls (or what once was the Falls herd), and someone who is presumably her bodyguard. I don't understand the pain on their faces until I look down at the platform.

My stomach twists in an agony that remains just below the surface. 'Damaris.. he.. it's Midas.' I glance again at the faces surrounding us. 'Please.. I need you.' I feel her moving toward me from the edges of the Fields, running as fast as she can. The sorrow that is reflected back at me from every face present tells me that perhaps this was not the doing of the Basin, as I would have automatically suspected. Perhaps this was just the twist of fate that brought one who I thought of as a brother in arms to his knees. I feel a sorrow that I cannot express, and I feel like I might vomit, but I try my hardest to keep these feelings buried. "You've done right.. to bring him to us." Damaris is quick now to appear at my side, and she moves between my legs, rubbing against my knees in an attempt to comfort me. It was Midas who watched over her when I was in the race to become Legatus. Though they had not spent much time together, there was undeniably a bond that she too felt with the late King. Her words in my mind: 'We shall mourn together, my love.'

WC: 598
Tag: ?

Rostislav
more than a drunken fool
x - x

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Rostislav excluding dismemberment and death.

Deimos the Reaper Posts: 527
Deceased atk: 7.0 | def: 12 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 72.5 | Buff: NUMB
Heather

Deimos the Reaper

master of nothing place, of recoil and grace

The Reaper knew death, embodied it, strived for it, created and carved its crawling opus, its seething maelstrom, its beating, bleeding magnificence, granted, gifted, and bestowed its sinuous raptures from the days of his youthful contortions. He wished it upon enemies, he craved it upon infidels, he yearned for it upon the inept, the frail, the virtuous, the toxic, the threats unwinding and serpentine around his home, his empire, his brethren. He bent beneath its immoral doldrums and listened to its blistering outcry, provided its release with the cool, enamoring wiles of enticed devastation, venomous ruin, and irreverent provocations of the merciless, of the relentless, of the heedless. But on this most recent quietus, on the crooning hells and heels of a Lord murdered and martyred within their icy walls – he was silent, brooding, ruminating on the endless debacle, on the sullen ways of the earth, on the twists and turns of mayhem. Where they once held and clenched acrimony and anarchy with an iron fist, the realm dissolved back onto its trappings, its snares, leaving them reeling with blame, with havoc, with wreckage well after the dust should have settled. Had they relished Midas’ death? Had they coveted for his slaughter? Had they beckoned for his assassination? Never in his soulless void had he truly manifested the desires to see the gilded one felled in rime and snow; defeat and failure absolutely, perhaps a sinking of his knees into sand and stone, maybe a chink plucked from his armor, but not the end of his life. Midas, like all of them, had been set in his ways, failing to change and alter and morph through the times, and while Deimos fought and clenched his teeth, bristled and seared, he’d also smoldered into the rhythms of life, drove onslaughts where they fit, cast away the broken, torn foundations, cast aside remnants of the past (and let them bleed in plaguing forms, secret, furtive, where all his hate resided, all his malice and menace could wane away the days, the hours, the minutes, the seconds) – the Falls King had ignored their requests. He’d committed error after error, flawed and faulted like all mortal men, but had paid the price for his inadequacies, faltering until he could do so no longer. There’d been no opportunity to rise from his mistakes (as the Basin had done, time and time again, the constant test of endurance, perseverance, and strength, when dominion and supremacy seemed so far away and so very close all at once), because they’d galvanized, fortified, and lanced through the holes, the defects, the deficiencies, and one by one, the towers fell, the walls collapsed, and the golden touch flickered away. In the end, it just meant they were all perishable.

But now, the northern King wanted truth, wanted distinction, wanted reality and corporeality, to see, to view, to witness the sight for himself. He followed the murmured trail of Thranduil’s prior whereabouts, he flanked the patchwork wiles of heaven and its glorious fields (his Elysium was different, painted in ichor and darkness and tainted beyond the stars); the piercing, puncturing void of his eyes, like hallowed heartlessness, saw the shift of movement beyond the rows of grass. Ulrik, stark and desolate amongst the gathering crowd, a cart carrying the token of Midas, murmuring, babbling souls crying for their fallen, gallant steed. The behemoth stood away, a thriving, beating, living shadow, staring at those assembled, waiting for something, anything, to carve them away from the tomb, from the sepulcher, a notion, a reason, for the vibrancy in his veins to split them apart. He recognized Africa, had known her before she was one-winged, had smirked when he murdered her fellow, trespassing kin, shook his head when she spat and hissed, tore about her outcries (for she’d been committed in the series of errors too, watching them spin and roll, witnessing them set flame). Stupidity, blunder after blunder, heartfelt, whimsical airs split apart in merciless shades; Helovia was not for the dreamers, but for the bold, for the treacherous, for the deceitful, and she, like so many of them before her, had stumbled into the faltering, gaping wounds of weakness, of shifting sides, of power tipping, tipping, tipping its ambrosial chalice into their machinations, their calculations. Midas’ death had merely been an unfortunate blip on the lilting triumph.

He advanced then, not saying a single word. He was damnation, he was corruption, he was upheaval and chaos and bedlam all rolled into a singular carnivore, and bowed his head towards the painted figure, charred and damaged. Thereafter, he moved to stand beside his Engineer (one who protected, who pledged, while they were off embracing the croons of devils and the slide of iniquity), lending support, adherence, credence, through the quiet, hushed tones of his depravity, of his wickedness, of his sinister insurrection; a sword of brutality providing the most meager of comforts, the most minute of amiability. It was all he had to offer in the circle of calamity.

image credits

Elsa the Icebound Posts: 644
World's Edge Protector atk: 6 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2 Hands :: Six (Frostfall) HP: 73 | Buff: BULK
Edgar :: Plain Zephyr :: Arctic & Wakiya Klare
Elsa,
Feel lucky for what you have, when you have it. Happily ever after doesn’t mean happy forever.

Swallowing defeat was horrible. It drug down her throat like claws, tearing it apart as it went. Limping away from them all, from Oxy, it was just horrifying. The closest place she could go to relax was the Heavenly Fields. The name was different now, because there was nothing angelic about this place anymore. Instead of harboring growing beauty, everything seemed dead and decaying. Even as the lush fall grasses faded to cool mountainous air, everything was becoming more surreal. In the heat of battle, she had understood, and believed what was happening. Now, with the past behind her, she almost thought it to be a dream. She was far too dazed to even comprehend the gathering group at the top of the slope.

She nearly ran into them before she noticed them. Stopping abruptly, she stood dumfounded in a group of unicorns. She didn't see anything except the haze of horns and silence. Blinking a few times, reality began to settle in. The fog was slowly lifting, and finally familiar faces began forming. Africa was there, and something seemed off. Rostislav, the usually cocky legatus, seemed to be anchored in place by some force. There was Midas too, lying upon the ground.

Wait.

Midas? Suddenly she shoved her way through, refusing to let anyone get in her way as she went to him. He had left them. And now he was here sleeping among unicorns? Words of anger tipped at her tongue, only to find that the burns she wanted to throw were already seared into his body. Everything stopped then, and Elsa's breath hitched for a moment as she stopped. Her muscles began to contract, the juxtaposition of anger against intense sadness causing every muscle to vibrate. She was literally shaking, her nose lowering only slightly to make sure that it wasn't her blind eye playing tricks.

Midas was dead.

So this is why he was gone all along. The goddamn Basin knew about the invasion and took him. They couldn't even have the decency to keep him alive? Her shoulders lurched then, catching her neck as it seemed to be too heavy to keep up. She couldn't even speak or look at them. She knew fully well that doing either of those would cause more problems than it was worth, and she was in no shape to take them on. Instead, she shot a sidelong glance towards Africa, knowing that her child was his. Her child had no father. Rostislav was probably just as shattered, but it didn't matter anymore. He was gone, and there was no way he could be brought back. Even his precious Earth God could do nothing. That fucking God couldn't keep his biggest follower alive. How ironic, considering the life-giving God could only watch them die. Elsa had barely even been his friend, but this hurt. It was like an extra stab into the wound they had already created.

Better suited for anger at the Earth God, Elsa left. Without a single word she left Midas behind. They could take care of his body, but Elsa was out now to curse the name of the Earth God in every corner she could. He was no God to her anymore. That would change nothing, because to him, she was just an insignificant soul, like Midas apparently was. That God didn't know she existed, but the time her life was through, he would know every inch of her.

"talk"
image credits
  • Any force can be used against Elsa.
  • Please tag any posts that involves Elsa.

Essetia Posts: 218
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3HH :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Romul :: Arctic Wolf :: Confusion Linds

Fragility—it was the careful thread between life and death, but Midas was not fragile. He was the image of strength and grace; he was a God in his own right. Yet, how could this parcel, once so full of life and power, be the man I’d so foolishly tested on the sands? How was this skin -these bones- the vibrant soul that I had chosen to serve and respect? Darkness had fallen over my vacant heart, as heavy as it was with the pain of such loss and disappointment. Everything I’d valued or loved had been stripped of me. The walls that surrounded me and offered me security had once again crumbled, leaving the weight of the world to rest solely upon my shoulders. I had little else to depend on; I was again alone in life. I was again just a token to be spent on the spoils of war and death. However, I was no Phoenix… and I would not be rising from these ashes.

Time passed slowly in the Basin and I’d grown too tired and too ashamed to do anything other than survive. The days were long and I spent most of them watching the shadows of the forest stretch across the wood… until they too disappeared. Nights were bitter and cold, but I did not try to hide from the frozen winds or the ruthless fear of being cut down beneath the moon’s pale glow. It was a lonely affair that promised no end and no comfort- was this what death felt like?

I hadn’t seen Ulrik since I’d tried to escape for the Falls and I was truly terrified to find what remained of my home. I could only assume the worst of my fate after witnessing wounded soldiers returning one by one to the land of ice and snow. However, they were not battle-beaten… they were smug; they were victors. It was sickening to imagine that I’d thought so much of Ulrik before his cunning kept me from my duty and from my family no less… I wanted to believe the best of him, I wanted to embrace the warmth I knew he possessed and yet I couldn’t, because I knew. I knew that he had betrayed me of his own volition- he’d made sure to note that the Basin unicorns worked as individuals. It was not the Basin that had done this to me.

It was the Engineer.

Friendship was such a fickle thing and easily imitated…I’d been too soft and too weak; I was no match for Ulrik and his… family? It would be a shame to call them as much, because I certainly couldn’t imagine finding any warmth in a land known for its cold and isolation…

Was he lonely? Did he feel? Could he understand?

All of these notions would forever go unanswered if only because I couldn’t forgive. I couldn’t. Did I even want to? The idea of it angered me and frustrated me and again the tears welled against the bottom of my lids. Yet the wracking sobs did not produce tell-tale signs of weeping because there were no more tears left to cry… They -those heartless creatures- had already taken them, leaving me with only the shudders of grief to console my heartache.

When Ulrik came to collect me, I knew it was time to return to the shattered life I’d made for myself in the Hidden Falls. Though, I’d had no idea to what extent that life had been broken. As of late I hadn’t spoken to Ulrik or anyone for that matter… that day was no different, because there was nothing left to say. Midas was dead, I was being held captive, and the deadly blow of the truth would soon come to splinter my heart until there was nothing but hollow resentment to fill the bloody cavern in my chest. Despite Romul’s callous nature, he too remained quiet as we followed the Engineer through the barren trees and toward the figurative cross that would carry Midas home.

The strange device was much like its creator, as hard and angular as it was, and it reminded me of the unfeeling beast I’d almost thought to believe a friend. I saw something different in the way he regarded me and in the nature of his being… Had I been utterly wrong? That friend had almost managed to erase Midas from our memories forever and he was supposed to be immortal- a true vigil of enlightenment. I prayed, for my own sake, that the sloping of Ulrik’s shoulders were some small indication of remorse or at least something akin to regret. Even as I watched him trailing the metallic machine, I prayed that he felt… me.

For a long time silence was my only company on our journey toward the Fields. I was not compelled to walk alongside the Engineer, if only because I wasn’t sure that I’d be able to keep myself from lashing out at him for his actions and his deceit. Ulrik was not to blame for Midas’ unfortunate death, but he had done nothing to prevent it and, well… I had no one else to blame. But, I desperately needed to blame someone. I needed someone else to carry this weight before it consumed me- engulfed me in the flames of pitiless hate.

There came a time when the machine could move no more, leaving Romul and I to stare uselessly at the charred flesh and the lifeless eyes of our deceased leader. What was I supposed to do now? I certainly couldn’t bring him… home. Was there even a place with such a title anymore? Or was this… a confession? Perhaps this was Ulrik’s way of telling me without saying-

There was no home left.

The quiet moments churned and scorched me like the ocean’s undercurrent. I wanted nothing more than for it to pull me under and bury me beneath the waves of sadness and hurt. But, the Engineer would not let me fester, he would not let me mourn, and instead the soft and somehow familiar lilt of his voice tugged me again to the surface until my eyes were able to find him against the blurring of my senses.

I could go? I must hate him? Was that it? Was that truly all he could say for the many injustices he’d committed against me? “I-I couldn’t speak…

As if by certain fate, a silver image draped in flame appeared just beyond the slight rise. My chest tightened, unwilling to face her pain coupled with my own. I wanted to flee and hide from the anguish, but I was too rigid, too frozen by the realization that shaped her beautiful face. I could not embrace her, could not find it within my heart to face her after all that’d I’d seen. Perhaps it was best to simply let her feel… even if feeling was more like killing, because death brought only more death… Would her soul ever truly live again? I remained statuesque as the world seemed to fall apart around me; I was a stone, unmoving. I’d been living with the weight for so long, a secret of loss that made me so sick and so angry that the release of it was… remarkable. Someone else now had to carry the memory of Midas and his reign… someone else had to mourn, because I could mourn no more. I could feel nothing more. I could do nothing more.

As the edges of my vision grew black and unseeing, I stepped forward and past Ulrik and his machine. In that moment, I’d decided upon two things- the first being that the Engineer would never again be satisfied in life with anyone else, as long as I lived, and the second being that I would give Midas’ legacy to Africa. She would wear his life upon her sleeve, at her neck, and in her heart until she too met him upon the cusp of life itself.

Africa-” I whispered hoarsely. “I’m…Sorry will never be enough.

Then… I pressed Midas’ feather against her neck before finally setting myself free.
Credits

Ulrik Africa-- Amended because Linds fails.

◄ Please tag Essetia in all replies!
◄ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
◄ Pixel @ SongsOfInfinity

Ulrik the Engineer Posts: 235
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1 hh :: 11 HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kirchoff :: Common Hellhound :: Superspeed Tamme
Ulrik
the engineer

One by one they gathered to string him up on the pyre, listing his sins. Only, what they listed were not sins at all. Each of them condemned his few and brightest virtues, snuffing out the lights one by one. He knew better than to care – better than to try. The stallion had learned so long, long ago. Even as a child, his strengths were weaknesses, fuel for bully’s weapons as he clung to the shadows, taking solace in the unfeeling and cold nature. Souls were fickle. Souls were cruel. He didn't give a shit how many warriors told him that words did not injure; they did. Often, a careless yell would cut deeper than any knife and do more damage than broken bones.

He wanted to shout out at their stupidity. He wanted to laugh in the face of their irony. Every single one of them had tried to take from his herd. They were liars and fools to pretend that they didn't. They spat their injustices, blamed him for their faults when the truth was simple.

None of them were fast enough, strong enough, or smart enough to save their precious Midas.

Oh, they had come in droves, chasing after his own. But they failed. How dare they pretend to be righteous? How dare they pretend to be better? All of these agents of the Falls were the same as him. They bled the same. They tried the same for their family, but Ulrik was part of a herd that was simply stronger. With cunning and strength, the Aurora Basin had performed beautifully for their allies. Against all odds, their spies had pulled their very leader from the fighting force, tactics beautiful and ingenuity amazing.

And this wasn’t even their fight.

If they wanted to yell and blame someone, they should only look to themselves and their utter failure at every chance of peace. Ulrik stood silent, strong, velvet ears turned back. The sorrow lingered on his tongue like a bad aftertaste. He mourned for their loss, but he could not pity their blame. Deimos stood nearby, and he wondered if he was thinking the same. Honestly… Ulrik was grateful for the silent support as he hung his head, waiting and watching.

No words he could speak would clear his name. Adamant retelling of the story would make him seem suspicious. A factual turn of events would make him callous. A simple ‘sorry’ would be inadequate. Admission of guilt would be a lie. Ulrik’s only crime was being damn, fucking good at what he did. His honor didn’t matter. Bringing the body back didn’t matter. Maybe he should have burned it.

All of that faded away when he dared to look up, trying to glean anything from Essetia’s expression. She was speechless. He knew the feeling. The engineer dared to show concern, brows dipped low over his shadowy, bronze eyes. Every fiber in his body told him to step forward and say something… anything. Her struggle was palpable, so thick he could almost taste it. One, cloven hoof stepped forward as she moved away, and he found himself caring because she was the only one in the droves of anger who seemed as lost as he was.

The pale-eyed mare put a feather in a one-winged mare’s mane, and then she left. Ulrik watched her go, breath hitching once in his chest.

Could he turn back time?

Could he make a machine to bring back life? To go back to when she was delightfully amusing and he was a beast in the dark – mysterious? No. No such machine existed. The dead were dead. And he was… accused. Suddenly, he was that angry little boy again. He was outcasted and small, laughed at and mocked. Ulrik wanted to tear them all apart like he did then, heart pounding so hard in his chest as he made them see that he was not the weak and weird fool they all thought.

With a sharp snap, his gaze settled on Africa. “I do not hate you,” he said, deep and heavily accented voice as soft as it would ever be. He did not do this for himself. He did it for… Kahlua. Ophelia. Deimos. His allies. “I did not hate him. I did not know him.” Ulrik frowned, quickly diverting his gaze. “I’ll… leave you now. Keep… keep the machine. There’s a button on the… side. You’ll find it, I am sure.” The stallion stammered, finding each word more damning to his ears.

Slowly, he backed away, having to tear himself from the fading red blur on the horizon.

[[The machine can go to whoever is taking care of Midas' body <3]]

Image Credit to Imi

(Please tag me in every post)

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

She was blinded by her own sense of indigence, utter, unravelling grief - emotion that she was never particularly adept at concealing. The torture of all that she had witnessed in the days gone by without him plagued her good sense, and nullified the foreboding dread rising from the depths of her rattling conscious. Crimson rage had ignited through her piercing, accusatory gaze, but she had not at all the strength left to wield it. Sloping grey shoulders slumped beneath the weight of her ultimate despair, and her starving lungs gasped silently between each aching sob.

The villainous, dark Reaper arrived to shoulder his seemingly pensive follower - but Africa cared little for the silent, presence he offered the growing gathering. He was frightening, terrible - yes - but in a lifetime long left behind. On this occasion, as she stood broken yet again by the blood of his brood, he was more just an irritation, that itch upon her withers; a cocky blow-fly which with even the swiftest tail-strike, could not be shaken.

She spared him not even a moment’s interest…

The Legatus of the land just fallen arrived, and the moments to follow were more surreal than than anything else. To her, it felt like a transaction were being made - perhaps he was numb, burying the grief as though it might bring upon him some kind of shame. Like they had face left to save. Africa glanced by him with hollow, incredulous eyes. Where was the anger? Surely there was adrenaline enough left to fuel any kind of outrage. But the fragments of a life born from a past deeply scarred began to settle through her mind - she began to see her own hatred, the racism that tarnished her own thoughts. It was too late though, their example had done nothing but serve to fuel her dislike; they were callous, conniving and cruel creatures. They were wickedness personified, gloriously arrogant and ready to squash any belief inferior to their own - there was just no hope for the lesser fractions of this world. Midas had seen it also, defied it, but the bold mind was no competition against the potent charms of the bully.

The smiling assassins of the north…

Essetia was speaking, though her hoarse voice could barely penetrate the chaos ringing through her mind. Pale, blood-shot eyes swing around softening only as the grief of the clever, once Sleuth became apparent. Africa was not alone in her mourning. The bay mare pressed closely her nose into the stiff sinew of the medic’s dappled neck and when she pulled away, a single feather slipped towards the ground. Rapidly she reached to catch it, dry lips snatching the quill in a soft, trembling embrace - the other turned then and left without even a backwards glance; without even a chance to hear the quiet, tortured, “…thank you.” Again her eyes began to swell painfully with tears, but there was yet another distraction, another beaten warrior pausing witness the scene. Elsa did not linger long, instead fleeing through the sunlight; fleeing the ruins of the home and family so dear to their hearts.

The release of a fathomless, shuddering sigh fluttered the broken mare’s nostrils as she turned back to the bronze-marked Unicorn - his penetrating stare was upon her, and she shifted with a start, unsettled by the unexpected softness of the accompanying voice. It was rich, exotic and Africa’s long ears betrayed by surprise as they flicked forward from the bed of flaming hair. She had no need for the cold, crafted contraption - except, unfortunately, to bear the body of her mate to his grave. Bitterly she watched his receding form before it vanished altogether. ’What world have we brought a child into…’ she thought gravely, sinking into the cold, rigid corpse of the Gallant to sob. The unleashed torrent of emotion was furious, desperate, and for the moment she forgot altogether that Rostislav was still there.

When finally she did turn, her eyes melted across his twice horned face. “Please,”” she whispered, drawn and breaking, “Will you bring him to my cave?” Africa couldn’t bear to think of the inevitable events to follow - sealing the nest he had crafted, revealing the death of her father to Zahra - and with her wing still swinging horrendously, barrel bleeding and gored, the Starry-Eyed turned weakly to follow the widest, smoothest trail she could find, slowly, towards her den in the southern stretch of the Falls.

Art by Angel

@[Rostislav] & any still there xD

Rostislav Posts: 245
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.1hh :: 7 (Frostfall) HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Damaris :: Common Hellhound :: Acid Lauren
The few words that passed between us all spoke to the feelings that were near inexpressible. Essetia tried to express her sorrow. Elsa - the anger radiating from her - could barely stand in our presence, and instead fled from the moment to do Gods knew what. Deimos the Reaper appears, and I send a silent, hateful glare his direction. As one of my attackers, how could I possibly feel anything less than odious rage. Essetia offers one of Midas's feathers to Africa, who gracefully accepts it. Of course there would be some sort of exchange like that, though, I do not understand what has gone on that makes Essetia feel so guilty or responsible - or perhaps it is just common grief that she expresses?

The words that Ulrik offers to Africa, and then to me as I am the only remaining 'Falls member', are the only salve that I could possibly hope for at the moment. Of course, it's more like putting a bandaid on a slit carotid artery, or a little hand pump for a collapsed lung, but it is better than nothing. He offers his cart, or whatever I should call it, and leaves us with the body. Africa turns to me, asking my assistance in returning his body. I have no desire to return to the Falls. I do not want to see the conquerors, I do not want to relive the memories, or realize that it is no longer the home I once -- loved? Did I love the Falls? Right now I do not know that I have experienced love, that I could ever experience it. I am numb, except for anger sitting deep inside. My emotions are constipated, unable to surface and be healed.

I sigh and nod to the one-winged beauty. What pain she must be feeling. I will go with her, for her, for Midas, for their child. Not for me, for them. I stretch my neck, muzzle extending in a gesture of comfort should she accept my touch. She needs a friend, and whether I like it or not, right now I am that friend. "We will go together, and put him to a peaceful rest." Out of harm's way, left in peace from the agony and strife of the world we live in. I reach down and press the button on the machine, then begin to walk along the machine toward the Falls, my heart as heavy as my footfalls. Damaris lingers near Africa, ready to accompany the mare and provide as much comfort as a silent canine can.

WC: 427
Tag: @[Africa]
(Meet you in the Falls?)

Rostislav
more than a drunken fool
x - x

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Rostislav excluding dismemberment and death.