the Rift

Helping Hands | Gaucho v Sialia
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

Gaucho had realized something ... he had offered to both Ophelia and Kaj that their warriors should spar with each other, and yet he had never taken any one up on the offer. Was it because he was too busy? No ... Gaucho always found time in his schedule for training. Perhaps it was simply a sort of hubris on his part. So many of his warriors complained that they wanted a chance of victory, that they shied away from seeking him out in the ring. Perhaps it had gone to his head, and he started to overlook those who would challenge him.

Had his ego prevented him from seeing the bravest among his warriors? The thought was troubling. And so, as word reached him that one of Ophelia's fighters would take him on, he had more than enthusiastically obliged.

Gaucho had decided to give her the home court advantage: fighting just outside of the Basin. He had found a relatively smooth grove within a ring of trees that he thought would do nicely. Although not all of the ground was covered with ice or snow, certainly it was much firmer than the soil was farther south. It wasn't so much that he thought she would need the advantage, but more that he wanted the disadvantage. Gaucho had sparred in a cave of ice before - with Sno - and perhaps a few other times as well. Although certainly his expertise lay in the bloody sands of his home, and the more fertile ground of the south. While his fire might prove helpful in these colder lands, the terrain would be more of a challenge.

A challenge that he was more than looking forward to.

And so, in the middle of the day as agreed, the Wildfire stood alone in the grove of trees. His dark stare scanned the tree line, searching out his opponent. He knew only that she was a unicorn, and little more. Was she late perhaps? No ... Gaucho doubted it. More than likely, she was merely waiting to try and catch him off guard.

A clear sky above bathed the clearing in a dull light, as a gentle wind blew. A shiver caused Gaucho to re-align a few feathers, as he noted how the wind held more of a bite and a different scent than the one that so often blew in from the ocean back home. Small differences make all the difference, he thought with a wry smile. In his antlers Mara hissed gently, her onyx gaze scanning behind him to try and discern movement that her bonded might have missed. Still fairly naive, Vorsa fluttered a few feet away, entirely unimpressed by the lack of sand with which to build a sandcastle. The young phoenix trilled her displeasure to the two, before landing in a pile of snow and almost melting it completely.

For @[Sialia]! Teaching spar. Feel free to just attack him :)

Setting: Just outside of the Basin in a grove of trees. The ground is relatively flat, although there is some snow and ice. It's midday and the sky is clear, and there is a light breeze.

WC: 475
Attack:0/3

Image Credits
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Sialia Posts: 169
Outcast atk: 6 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 8 Years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Nessie
Sialia
I tried to sell my soul last night, it's funny he wouldn't even take a bite.

I was running a tad late. But, Glacia would not stop talking and showing me her dried plants. I mean, I love her, but child, not right now. But I was quickly making up lost time by the large fast gate that carried me to our said meeting place.

The day was actually pretty good weather for the north this time of year, with a light breeze, and a clear sky. If you where unused to the weather it might have a bite to it, but for me it felt like a fairly warm fall day.

I wasn't sure what to expect, other than a huge pegasus. Named Gaucho. I had never met the beast in my life, but that was the description given to me when I had received the news that he had accepted the challenge to a spar with me. I wonder if the description given to him was equally vague. It more than likely was. Either way, I'm sure that I would know him when I saw him. After all, he was probably the only pegasus up in this area at the time being. And the hybrid mare I already knew, so she didn't count.

As I near the said meeting place, I slow my trot to a quiet walk, then to a halt, peering through the trees, looking for my opponent. As my eyes scan slowly I make note of absence there, absence here... Wait. Back up. My eyes move back to a certain spot. Oh yeah. Look. Giant fucking pegasus.

Holy shit he's huge. I mean, look at those wings. LOOK AT HOW PROUD HE STANDS. He's standing there all majestic and shit, and waiting for me to make my appearance. But I'm kinda okay with standing here, because he has wings. Wait. Wings.

HA!

I can go for his wings. As long as he doesn't poke my eye out with that shit. They are huge. Oh my god. Sia, focus. You are not chickening out right now. You asked for this, you fucking volunteered as tribute. So, get your ass out there and fight this giant bird. Yep. Okay.

Plan of execution. Quietly move through the trees until you are facing his left side close to the shoulder, then burst through like the scared chicken you are, and go for that left wing of his. If you can manage it, and he doesn't move, bite down at the joint there. Okay. So that's the plan. Alright.

I take a deep breath, and quietly move away to my right, taking extra care to be quiet, until I had reached my desired position. The sultan is scanning the tree's now, and I hold my breath, waiting until his head is turned from my position. Wait. Wait. Now!

Haunches buckle beneath me as they powerfully shoot me forward towards Gaucho out of the treeline. I am headed towards his left shoulder, and provided he doesn't move, I am aiming for where his wing meets his body. I gain speed as I near him, digging deep into the snow and dirt, and I'm close, but oh there is this patch of ice, and I kinda slipped, and now I am careening towards his shoulder. Okay, change of plans. I brace myself for impact on his left shoulder, pushing forward with my hind end, as I reach him. I attempt to throw my left shoulder into his left shoulder. I don't know if I hit. Oh god, I hope I got him. I quickly spin on my haunches taking off the way I had come, unsure if the numbness in my shoulder is from impact or anticipation for it.

"Speech here."
Tag;; @[Gaucho]
Words;; 611/800
Notes;; Attack: 1/3
Injuries: N/A

Attack Summary: Sialia waits until his head is turned away from her hiding spot, before bursting out from the tree's towards his left shoulder to bite at where his left wing meets his body. However, as she nears she slips on an icy patch and looses her balance, and changes her plan instead attempting to collide with his left shoulder with her left shoulder. After she thinks she has hit him she spins away from him heading back the direction she came, at the gallop.

Credits: Image by semper
[Image: 538c1505470d5]
Please tag Sialia in all posts! Thanks!
Ascended Helovian

The difference between sand and snow, was that it was far easier to move unheard in the sand.

Gaucho's dark ears swiveled. He was used to trying to discern the sounds of hooves as they parted gains of sand and while the ground here was not completely frozen, it did offer some resistance as his unicorn sparring-partner tried to creep unheard through the trees. In truth, it was Mara who first nudged her bonded's consciousness, indicating the arrival of their opponent. Although Sialia's dark body blended in easily with the trees, it was her movement in general that gave her away. The trees which grew this far north were not the leafy kind - there was no dangling foliage which turned in the slight breeze. Almost nothing moved, save for a black smear in the depths of the trees. Mara's onyx gaze watched as the smear moved purposefully to the left side of the grove. All this the dun watched through Mara's mental link, although his body didn't turn. He allowed Sialia to creep to his left side, hidden (or so she thought) by the trees.

Did she have magic? Or would she try to simply run at him? Gaucho had fought unicorn's before, and was more than aware of the danger that their horns posed. He had also fought on the ice and snow before, and knew that his speed and agility would be tested on these grounds. Still, Gaucho resolved not to fly unless it proved absolutely necessary. Having ranged magical attacks, and the ability to place himself at a considerable distance from his opponent was not necessarily unfair. But it was certainly unsportsmanlike. This unicorn had offered to enter the ring with him, and Gaucho would do what he could to ensure that the training he provided would be useful, rather than simply frustrating.

So when she made her move, so did he.

Spinning nimbly on his hind end, moving his shoulders to the left, he faced the direction Sialia had come from. Simultaneously, his front legs raised off of the ground a foot or two, as his flaming wings spread from his shoulders. As his blackened hooves slammed back to the earth, his wings shot forward. The magic that bled from his system was two fold. As his hooves touched the partially frozen ground, tremors raced forward, shaking the ground like some earthquake which had decided to appear only briefly. The ground rattled and rocked as flames shot out across the surface. An arc of pure fire had sprouted from Gaucho's already flaming wings. The blaze would stretch for 30 meters before dissipating, which Gaucho hoped would either force his opponent to divert her charge, or slow her down as she ran across the uneven and now burning path she had set herself on. The dun danced easily to his right, pivoting his shoulders and evading Sialia all together.

Lost in her thoughts, Vorsa's beak opened with a shrill of terror as her mental connection to Gaucho was filled with images of fire. Part of her was thrilled by his use of her element, part of her was surprised. Her small fiery body took to the air almost immediately, as she headed for a tree branch. She knew that Gaucho would not willingly hurt her, but nor did she want to be in his way. Still, as she settled onto a branch, above and away from the fray, she longed for the day she could assist him.

"Gaucho not called The Wildfire for nothing." He called, his steely gaze watching as his flaming wall retreated towards the trees. "Maybe unicorn not know that. Or maybe unicorn just like things hot." Although his words were in jest, his attack had been very real. Although this spar had been arranged on the basis of an alliance between the Throat and the Basin, it did not mean he would go easy on Ophelia's warriors. Somewhere in the back of his mind he thought of Ophelia, and how she likely would not want him to coddle her fighters.

The thought made him smile.

Lowering his pierced nose, Gaucho pushed a button around the leather collar he wore. As he did, 2 inch sharpened bone spikes appeared all around his shoulders.

"Come on unicorn. Again!"

WC: 713
Attack:1/3

Teaching Notes

Sialia is hilarious to read! I love that you give a bit of insight as to why she's late. Obviously we don't all have watches, but it's nice to see someone incorporate that sort of thing into their posts. Nice! I also think it was really believable that Sialia wouldn't necessarily know who Gaucho was since I'm pretty sure they've never been in the same thread together. But given that you're right, he's definitely going to be the only pegasus around, she doesn't need to know much more. You could have even played it up more than you did, like, And hey, even if I attack the wrong pegasus, it's still a win for me. Those feathered rats shouldn't be hanging around our borders anyways. .

You mentioned that Sia briefly thinks about chickening out, and then reminds herself that she volunteered for this. I would have loved to hear some inner monologue about why she volunteered. In my post, I explain that Gaucho loves to be challenged, and given his character it's really no surprise that he'll take on anyone. But Sia? Yeah she's a soldier, but why did she volunteer to fight some unknown peg? Does she want to move up in the ranks? Show off? Prove something to someone? She isn't going to chicken out, but what is really going through her head when she looks at Gaucho? Because you're right - he is huge. He's also on fire. You don't mention the fact that he has antlers (maybe she doesn't care that he's a hybrid, but you mention other hybrids so, maybe?), or that he has companions, or, probably most noticeably, that he's on fire.

I think your attack was good - especially given that the only real way to take out a peg is via the wings. The only thing, is that if Sia doesn't know him, then she doesn't know that the flames on his wings are only harmless. For all she knows, they burn everyone except for him. So running at an entire appendage which is on fire and could burn your face off seems fairly unrealistic to me.

Also be careful with sentences like this, pushing forward with my hind end, as I reach him. It isn't really PP, but it's getting close. Especially given that your attack missed, it's false that Sialia reached him - since I'm going to evade your attack entirely.

All in all, this was a great post! In your next one, things to consider will basically be tackling all of Gaucho's accessories. Mara and Vorsa, his antlers, his fire and magic, and his size!

Image Credits

Sialia Posts: 169
Outcast atk: 6 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 8 Years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Nessie
Sialia
I tried to sell my soul last night, it's funny he wouldn't even take a bite.

All I can see are flames.

"I hate fire!!!" My voice is more of a screech as my plan is backfiring... literally. Somehow he knew I was coming. Either he saw me moving, or he was psychic... No one was that fast.

Pain laces through the left side of my barrel as I had tried to move out of the way in time to not get turned into fried chicken. The pain also reminds me of my ever growing disdain for the fire element. I mean, Really! Why does everyone and their mother have fire magic. Its horrid! And painful, and just plain hot! And not in a good way!

Quickly I retreat, taking deep painful breaths, as I slow and turn to face him once more, His words ringing through the air. Yeah, no fucking kidding you stupid fire bird!

Alrighty... That did not go as planned. He easily evaded my attack. Frustration floods through me. In my last spars with my own kind I had been the loser. I, the soldier, had been the loser. I had lost to a healer! That, that was shameful.

I close my eyes only a moment as I try to take control of the pain on my ribs and the frustration pumping in my blood, then opening them to look at Gaucho. I mean to really look at him. Horns sprout from his head, which honestly is kinda cool looking. Wow. His antlers are even glowing. Kay, serious horn envy going on here. His wings are on fire, and thats kid of a big thing... so what to attack? Go for the legs? I don't plan on going head on agai- oh look, he just made more spikes on his shoulders. And now he is yelling again at me. Lovely.

Wait. Is that a snake on him? Thats a snake. A steely colored snake. Is there anything else? My mind rewinds, and I do recall a screech of some sort. My eyes scan and find a fire bird. AWESOME. More fucking fire. And, an answer to my question... how he had known I was coming.

I push forward again, my barrel protesting, skins stretching and compacting. My plan is to move around his front end, and his wings, only to turn sharply in towards his haunches. So, thats what I do. Forward, power, more power. I try to move around his wings, and attempt to move towards his haunches, where my ivory teeth try to clamp down on the luscious flesh of his stupid painted bird butt.

"Speech here."
Tag;; @[Gaucho]
Words;; 426/800
Notes;; Attack 2/3
Summary;; Sialia pushes from a halt into a canter, and moves around his wings and shoulders on the Right side in an attempt to bite his hind end on his right side, she then continues straight from there.

Injuries;; A burn on the left side of her barrel.

Okay, I had a hard time with this, because I wasn't sure how to execute an attack on him. So, there goes awkward attack. I also am having a hard time incorporating all of his stuffs into my post >.< and tbh I had like no idea that he was constantly on fire so this time I stalked his profile. Also, she doesn't really hate Pegasus's, she is just mad cause he has fire and she doesn't like it. I spent like 45 min just getting this here, and its... short. But I liked it. So. There.

Credits: Image by semper
[Image: 538c1505470d5]
Please tag Sialia in all posts! Thanks!
Ascended Helovian

As the unicorn stopped and stared him down, Gaucho considered sending a fresh wave of fire at her for her stupidity. What sort of soldier just stops on the battlefield? Snorting, Gaucho shook his head ever so slightly. Instincts it seemed, couldn't be taught. It was one thing to understand the importance of knowing your opponent, but the way in which one went about it could vary. For instance, Gaucho's well trained and primal mind instinctively recorded and noted small details about Sialia; about how she moved, where weaknesses might be, how she used the ground. Sialia on the other hand, apparently needed a notebook and a timeout to figure Gaucho out. And so, the temptation to throw fire at her for her careless waste of his time (and hers) was fairly present in his mind. Still, he resisted. Something told him that she wouldn't learn the lesson he meant to teach her.

As her body began to move, Gaucho's muscles twitched with anticipation. He remained still and stoic as she charged his way - if she wanted to risk slipping on the snow (and what had just recently melted thanks to his flames), that was fine by him. Even better if she tired herself out on the way. With a grimace, he noted how poorly she had received his previous statement. Gaucho wasn't a big talker - and so when he did, there was a reason for it. Just like there was a reason they called him the Wildfire - an identity he had only moments ago called her attention to. And here she was, running at him again. Did she think his flames had such a short shelf life?

If fire wouldn't teach her a lesson, maybe a good body check would.

His eyes trained on her shoulders as his antlered skull lowered defensively. He was prepared to adjust his own position should she try and suddenly skirt around him. Gaucho had sparred unicorns before - multiple times now - and almost every time he was awarded a small incision, regardless of his level of care. They wielded their horns in a way that he just could not understand - the phenomenology of having a real horn, was so different than the 'fake' feeling of his own bulky accessory. No matter how many times he tried, he always seem to fall short when faced with their daggers.

Perhaps today would be different.

As Sialia leaned to try and twist around him, Gaucho allowed his shoulders to rotate with her. There was no way he was leaving his flank exposed to her horn. One benefit of his tandem movements was that she didn't need to try and evade his wing while going for his flank. Instead, as he moved it was his right shoulder and wing joint that her teeth found, as her neck snaked towards him.

Gaucho felt her teeth grip both feather and skin - finding a purchase precisely where the skin and feathering from his wing began to meld into his shoulder. An annoying burst of pain radiated outwards, causing Gaucho to grit his teeth and pin his ears. Still, he would take her teeth over her horn any day, especially when it provided him such easy access to ...

Surging forward, Gaucho threw his weight into his right shoulder. His aim was to slam the spikes that decorated his shoulders into her own - or her flank - depending on how long she dallied at his side. Continuing, he allowed his hips to rotate to the right as well, and, having already placed weight in his forehand from his shove, bucked out to the right to try and snag any part of her, should she have continued. Likely her flank or thigh would have been in range - but he was larger and the reach of his limbs was long.

As his dark hooves returned back to his body, Gaucho carefully continued his inward roll on the snowy terrain to try and bring himself around and face wherever she had gone. While he thought it was a stupid mistake that she had decided to use her teeth rather than her horn, it could have been a clever ploy. Time would tell.

WC: 694
Attack:2/3

Teaching Notes

Short can be fine! I know sometimes we get drawn into writing close to the 800 words, but if you don't need it, you don't have to push it.

Be careful with your spelling and grammar!
  • Its horrid! -- It's horrid!
  • ...as I slow and turn to face him once more, His words ringing through the air. -- ...his words...
  • ..and thats kid of a big thing.. -- that's kind of a big thing
  • Thats a snake -- That's a snake

Attacking a pegasus can be difficult when you can't fly yourself. It's hard to find a balance between something realistic, and something that they won't just evade entirely. I would have liked to hear Sialia thinking of that herself - she mentions that she might go for his legs, but then doesn't really explain why she decides to attach his haunches instead. I would have liked to see more internal struggle - like not only is he a hard target to hit (he's obviously fast since he dodged her last attack, has extra sets of eyes helping, and his whole body is basically booby-trapped with spikes, snakes, and fire), but he can also fly.

Also, in your notes at the end you mention that it's his right side you are attacking, but you don't mention that in your post. That will probably cost you - the judges don't actually read your summary. You don't need to post one - it's sort of a courtesy if your opponent needs it, but the judges certainly won't be looking at it. Also, in your summary you say that she continues on after the bite, but you don't in your post.

Also, why did you decide to try and bite him, and not use Sialia's horn? Horn would do way more damage than her teeth will.

I thought your comment about horn envy was hilarious! And how she called him a bird-butt.

Image Credits

Blu the Bootyful Posts: 443
Administrator atk: 99 | def: 99 | dam: 99
Mare :: Other :: 5'7" :: 25 HP: 99999 | Buff: TWERK
Blu
Sialia defaults to Gaucho. Gaucho earns 0.5 VP and +2 EXP for teaching posts.
 HP: 1100

Helovia Hard Mode