the Rift

Trail of Tears {OPEN}

Cherokee Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Cherokee

I'll keep a part of you with me...

The mare stepped slowly though the underbrush, as though she feared making a wrong move. Three white legs cut a path in the bushes followed by that one yellow front, her broad chest enduring the whip like branches without flinching. She had been wandering for moons, unsure of where she was or even where she was going. All she was sure of was that she had to keep going, further and further she finally outran the pain of the past.

High above her the wind whistled sharply for an instant as a winged shadow flickered past, and the howl of a wolf in the far distance set a shiver down the buckskin's spine. Shivering against more than the growing night, she continued her slow descent of the rocky hill before her. Never once did it cross her mind that she could slip and fall, break any number of bones on the slope littered with traps of branches and stones, keeping her feet was as easy as breathing for the stocky mare.

As she picked her way down, the twilight fading away to dusk, casting the world into ominous shades of grey, she tried to keep her mind blank. It was no use thinking about the past, the friends she had left behind, the wonderful lover who no doubt blamed himself for disappearance, but most of all she tried to block out any thought of the beautiful corpse being torn apart by scavengers thousands of miles away. The poor thing had only breathed life for a few days before her fail body have broken down for good, but a few days was all Cherokee had needed to fall madly in love with her daughter.

She had been gorgeous, a deep bay like her father, but she had her mothers' unique markings. High white stockings on all her legs, a delicate face that looked as though someone had splashed fresh snow across it, and the plethora of white speckles on her underbelly. It had taken hours for the filly to make it back to the herd, and even then she was weak and unstable, born far too early. Cherokee had tried, given her heart and soul to the young creature, knowing that she could beat the weakness of her body and survive.

Oh how wrong she had been. It had been a peaceful death yes, at least compared to the ones Cherokee had borne witness to as a filly, but with the death of the tiny bay, a part of Cherokee fled the world as well. Flicker, she had been named, though the new mother had been told not to name her until it was sure that she would live. So positive that she could nurse her baby to health, the golden mare had named her in spite of the warnings. It had made her passing that much harder, though she refused to admit it.

Every night she would lay with her foal, keeping her warm and safe, standing and moving about periodically before returning to the tiny bundle that held her heart. On the third morning however, when Cherokee nudged and bumped Flicker gently to wake up, the filly had not moved. Worse than that, when Cherokee pushed harder, the body had rolled over limply, the once bright blue eyes staring dully at the sun rising over the tree line.

It had felt like a dream, or maybe a nightmare, pushing and biting at her dead foal, pulling at her mane and withers, begging her over and over to stand up, to blink or flick her ears, anything. At last Cherokee had been herded away from the body and the whole herd left, leaving Flicker's body to rot in the grass.

It had been only two days before Cherokee could take it no more. In the dead of the night she had slipped away unnoticed, or perhaps the others had seen her go but thought she would return. She had no intention of ever going back. As far as she could go was as far as she would go, to the edge of the world if that's what it would take to forget the past.

Shaking her head, and casting her ebony forelock out of her diamond eyes, the mare halted mid stride, yellow leg upraised. The wind had shifted, bringing a new scent to her. Water. Though this water smelled, different, foreign. Perhaps she had traveled far enough.

Now with new purpose she pushed forward towards the pure liquid. As the trees finally gave way, she stared in awe as the moon rose fully and its reflection filled the pool in front of her with an almost magical silver glow.

One hesitant step after another she gained on the waters edge and looked down into its depths. Reflected back at her was a snowy white face and blue eyes, that only served to remind her of Flicker. A sigh parted her lips, and closing her eyes tight against the pain, she bent her head to drink.

OOC: Holy crap on a gawd damn cracker, that was hard to pump out. I know it's a little rusty... Okay a lot rusty... Give me a couple posts, I'll warm back up :)

Word Count: 836

And everywhere I am, there you'll be.

Table background by AuroraWienholdSTOCK on Deviantart.

Colt Posts: 68
Hidden Account atk: 3.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14 hh :: 5 years HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Dark
Colt
take your aim when you take a shot
She was on the hunt, taking her time to view each and every new stranger who wandered through the forest, particularly fond of the few stumbling skyrats who had failed to land gracefully beneath the canopy of reddening leaves. She wanted to threaten them, but she was too focused on finding a sturdy equine to take under her watch. She found that there were few and far between who weren't sick or weak, so thin and fragile a simple kick to their side and they'd crumble and break. How pathetic, Colt lets out a disappointed sigh at the fact that there were few who looked like they could endure the pain of battle. All those she ran into these days were pansies, withering frail flowers that she could crush beneath her hoof with ease.

Almost giving up hope, steel sights catch upon a golden bodice with three definitive alabaster legs, the fourth a deep ebony. Her face was masked in white, her underside splattered with droplets of white snow. Ears prick forward, eyes wandering to wingless withers and a hornless skull. A devious, sinister smile creeps along chrome features as she steps forward, eager to ensnare this mare in her little web of lies. "Hello, new here are we?" She steps forward, letting her body bask in moonlight, appearing more silver than dun. The red splatter upon her foreleg appearing more prominent as she takes a step further, iron gaze meeting the mare with an almost sickening, twisted hunger gleaming within them. "The names Colt, and I'm here to take you home." She calls, admiring the mare's bulky body and toned muscles. How perfect she is, Colt wanted to add her to her currently petty little collection of soldiers. So far she only had Diesel, and who knows where he's wandered off to. She hadn't seen him in a while, a frown threatening to surface before she pushes away her concern for her precious spy. He better be off gathering important information or she'll be quite disappointed. "I'm Emperor of an outcast band, and I've come to offer you a place within our ranks." Colt pauses, and then, to sound nice, she offers information about the land. "And this is Helovia, a lovely place really, There are four main herds, the Hidden Falls, the World's Edge, the Dragon's Throat and the unicorn only Aurora Basin. The Falls is north of here, and the Basin is.. about as north as you can get. The World's Edge is more north west of here, and the Dragon's Throat is south. My outcast band roams wherever, though, and you're welcome to join us if you'd like. I'm also open to giving you more information on it, if you need." That works, right? Colt wasn't good at doing this, she preferred being blunt and straight forward, so trying to explain the herds to a stranger was unfamiliar. Surely by now she would've demanded or threatened this mare into joining her if it hadn't been for her curiosity on how well this would work out.
Speech
hey there, hope you dont mind me tossing colt in here c: shes inviting cherokee to the empire ( link to it in her sig vv )

art by dark -- table by abba
[Image: 5518a658038f0]
The Equine Empire wants YOU! Assuming you refers to an equine.
Join the movement.

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Unregistered

Cherokee

Usually she was so good about watching and listening for others, always keeping her guard up. Perhaps she was just tired, or maybe it was time for her to have a conversation with someone other than herself, either way when Cherokee heard a branch snap behind her it was already too late to fade into the trees. The moonlight on her brightly colored rump would have given her away she was sure.

Silently cursing herself for her clumsiness, the mare attempted to keep her cool, slowly finishing her drink before raising her head and turning to meet the other equine head on. As she moved, Cherokee subtly maneuvered her hind quarters to face away from the waters edge, she didn't want to be forced into the depths of the pool should this visitor prove unfriendly. As the new mare stepped out of the trees and into the moonlight bath Cherokee had to hide her amazement, she had always considered herself to be a uniquely colored animal though it wasn't always her proudest feature, but this mare was something different altogether.

She held an almost ethereal quality about her as the pale light danced across her silver shoulders. Cherokee almost let a grin play on her lips, quite ironic really, gold and silver meeting in one place, was it a sign? A sign of what though she wondered. Letting eyes as blue as a midday sky roam freely over the shorter mare Cherokee noticed that she too was built to endure, and the curious marking on her leg seemed to prove that.

It almost came as a shock when she spoke, naming herself as Colt before spewing so much information that Cherokee could hardly keep up. Something about herds and lands she had never heard of, and a band of Outcasts. Was she an outcast? Maybe not the organized Outcasts the silver mare spoke of, but an outcast by choice was what she was going to call herself for now.

When at last her voice faded into the night air, Cherokee realized that she was meant to respond. It had been so long since she spoke that she had to open and close her lips a few times in silence before she could squeak anything out. Realizing she must look the fool, the golden mare shut her eyes and let out one word, "Cherokee," She was almost shocked when her voice actually worked, and a smile did play upon her face this time.

Continuing, she let her voice grow stronger and more powerful as the words flowed. "My name is Cherokee friend. That's quite the load of information, but you're right, I am new in these parts," Maybe this was just what she needed, a distraction.

"You know nothing about me other than now my name. Why would you want me in your so called band of 'Outcasts'? For that matter, why have you been cast out, what would I be associating myself with should I entertain your offer?"

Cherokee was intrigued for sure, though a little skeptical. It could be that it was time to really put the past in the past, but even as the thought crossed her mind she pictured her precious baby laying dead in the grass and a wave of anguish hit her again.

Shaking her head to rid it of the image, she stared unwavering into Colt's eyes, standing straighter and puffing her chest out further. If she was to meet anyone in this new place she was going to make a good first impression.

OOC: Hehe, I could see Cherokee jumping on this just to try and forget. This might be the start of a beautiful friendship!

Word Count:590

Speech

Atlas Posts: 54
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 HH :: 5 HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Linds

The sullen light of dusk pushed through the wood, fading and ribboning into what would soon become darkness. It was days like these that reminded me of my fondness for Helovia and of the first time I’d set eyes upon her undeniable splendor. Somewhere in between my arrival and my present adventures, I’d lost something… I wouldn’t call it a loss of vigor, but more so my incessant need to roam. I had settled in the Thistle Meadow for a time, but it was lonely… it was not what I’d pictured for myself.

After living out my days in isolation I’d come to a brash decision that I would seek out somewhere to belong. However, the idea of committing myself to any one thing seemed daunting and I’d yet to act upon the notion… It was time though; I kept telling myself that it was time to move on and settle, but it still came at a price. I feared what would become of my desires and my dreams should I finally break my own bad habits.

Perhaps that was why I again found myself searching the Threshold for another purpose, one less demanding than confronting my own reality.

With the sun dancing across the stars across my skin, I swayed easily between the dense wood, inhaling the sweet scent of Fall. I was calm and level-headed which was more than I could say of my demeanor as of late… Maybe I was simply plagued with incessant thought and deliberation. Where would I go? Who would accept me, as I was? What if they turned me away? What if I had already made a name for myself? Although I honestly couldn’t imagine Amaris or Resplendence thinking that highly of me…

As I wandered, pressing myself for answers that I could not give, I paused at the slightest drift of conversation. It was clearly an intermingling of voices and pitches, but I prayed that they would distract me from my inner struggles… However, maybe one of them would allow me some valuable insight. I’d been thinking far too much and I’d been far too lonely for far too long… I needed a gentle push, or swift kick, to get me moving.

I just needed someone to tell me what was right. I was abandoning my only way of life after all…

However, when I had come close enough to discover that my company was a pair of ladies… I couldn’t help but smile deviously to myself. Helovia surely hadn’t disappointed me as a man by any means. She housed too many beautiful trinkets for a collector such as myself to ignore. I’d been lucky enough to miss their introductory discussion, but I almost wished I hadn’t… Surely one of them knew a little more about this place than I.

Well hello ladies. I don’t suppose you’d mind if I joined you?” I questioned with a particularly innocent smile. “I’m Atlas.

Atlas

Save your light
image credits

Run towards the stars, or make them shine. Fight the tide, until the day we die.

▌ Please tag Atlas in all replies
▌ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
▌ Pixel by DarkShadow

Unregistered

Cherokee

The words had hardly left the golden mare's lips when the voice of another drifted into her perked ears. The newcomer stepped into the small opening in the forest and in the moonlight, as Cherokee whipped her head around to stare, it seemed that she had crossed into the land of dreams.

'Is everyone here completely abnormal?!' the thought crossed her mind as she boldly looked the stallion up and down. At first she thought it was a trick of the stars overhead that made his coat shimmer, but as her eyes slowly coaxed her mind into believing what she saw it became apparent that she still resided in the here and now. It wasn't merely his stunning pelt that shocked the mare, with its million tiny stars, but for the first time she lay eyes upon an equine bearing a bone like shaft on his brow. Her mother had spoken once or twice of a legendary land where magic was possible and the creatures bore the resemblance of gods. Some who were born half horse half bird, able to soar high above the clouds, and other like this mighty beast who now stood before her.

Cherokee had never believed the tales, but here, now with her childhood stories within a few lengths of her, she began to think that maybe magic did exist. What else could explain the stunning animal in front of her.

With a cautious step towards him, she arched her neck and blew through her nostrils, trying to catch the scent of the otherworldly equine. He spoke again as the yellow mare moved, introducing himself as Atlas. 'Fitting,'

"Cherokee. A pleasure to meet you Atlas." She bobbed her crown briskly in greeting, "I see sleep evades you as well on this fine evening,"

It was becoming a lot of work for the young fem, socializing with so many after so long in solitude, but the manners she was taught as a filly held strong as the night wore on. Who knew how long she would be able to continue her discussion before the pressure of it all took hold. Would she run again? Steal away from this land as well, like she had twice before?

'No, it is time for you to grow up Cherokee. A new life, a new start, a blank slate. You should have changed your name too you silly girl. Too late now. Who knows if this Atlas is even a mortal like yourself! A god would know if you lied about such things.'

With almost a slight nervousness, she glanced from mare to stallion and back again, letting her words hang in the night air and praying one of them would speak. Perhaps this star littered animal would hear her prayers.

Dark
Colt
A twisted, wicked and tedious grin crawls across dark lips. Colt was getting giddy, her excitement for this recruitment was too much for her to handle. She looks the mare up and down over and over, making sure to pick her apart like a hungry, desperate scavenger that had just found a clump of meaty bones to shred. She begins to inform Cherokee, answering her questions swiftly and without hesitation. "I'm offering you shelter, a new family to protect you and for you to protect. Who care for you, and are putting their trust in your abilities. I want you with us because you look like you've got some power behind you, skills that we need." Smile. "I chose to be an outcast and not associate with other herds. It was a conscious, willing decision that I made on my own. I was not cast out. And you'd be associating with only the best, warriors and spies alike, all fighting for the same purpose—" And stop. Colt heard the approach of another stranger, ears flicking back as her grand reveal is ruined, the lever to raise the curtains jammed by the horn of a grotesque stallion.

A brow rises, untrusting of this new stranger. He introduces himself as Atlas, disgust crawling across Colt's features as she looks up at him. How foul and putrid. Revolted and sickened at the sight of the star dappled man, she stepped back to create space between her and the diseased man, hoping that whatever plagued his blood and created such a mess upon his brow could not spread to her. He didn't have the lost look of a newcomer first stumbling through the Threshold, dazed and confused, but in fact looked well off on his own without the aid of anyone else. "I never asked for your name, neither did she." She spits, ears laid flat against her brindled crest. She was angered that he thought that he could waltz into their conversation, interrupting and preventing her from taking this mare beneath the shadowed wing of the Empire.
Speech
--

Join the movement.

Linds

Now the Golden lady was something to behold. She was bright- evanescent. However, the little roan… well she was spiteful and a bit mean, and since she was unwilling to share her name, I’d just call her ’ole bitter. So, ole’ bitter was quick to draw conclusions about my character upon my approach, but it was neither here nor there. I didn’t give a shit what she thought. Did she not know who the hell I was? In fact, I found it almost charming that she thought I’d been sharing my name solely with her. Right.

Tsk, tsk ‘ole bitter. Better pick your competition more fairly. As far as I was concerned, the stars from my coat had been placed against the dark pupils of Miss Cherokee’s eyes. I guess a man didn’t have to search far for willing disciples. Besides, I’d only come by the Threshold on my way toward what I considered to be a far more intriguing venture… the Dragon’s Throat. Ole’ Bitter would have to top the infamous desert if she wanted to sway her conquest, though I knew better. Mares were so haughty and self-reliant. They didn’t need men like myself to make their decisions- of course they also didn’t need mares like ole’ bitter making their decisions either. I’d stopped by to offer a casual hello, perhaps an invitation to join me on my way to the Throat… I hadn’t expected ole’ bitter to bitch and moan about it.

Be gone you menace!

I couldn’t imagine such a caring soul like Cherokee finding comfort in your foul attitude anyway. Maybe you were sent by the devil to draw innocents like herself to their grave? Surely the Gods would deal with you at some point or another, or maybe you’d be overcome by someone just like me- or me.

You’re certainly incessantly cruel ole’ bitter, but not unattractive. I winked at the roan before turning to focus on my shining, golden star. She belonged at my side. I could just see it- at least for a time. ” Sleep has a way of evading me most nights, but I wouldn’t say it forces me to spend time with such devilish creatures as this,” I smiled while glancing at ‘ole bitter. What had her panties in a wad?

Perhaps she’d missed the memo. If you wanted to relax, a good man in your life would fix that. How ‘bout it ‘ole bitter?

I nearly chuckled at my own insinuations before again ignoring the vile hag who cared not about me… or anyone else for that matter. I’d come seeking a companion for travel because I’d been alone for too long. Plus, they would be able to help me transition into this new life I’d been seeking to live… Cherokee, are you going to help me?

I was actually on my way to the Dragon’s Throat –a herd land here in Helovia- and I was wondering if you’d like to come with me?” I was so fuckin’ smooth every time I found myself in the threshold. How did anyone ever deny me their presence after so much honesty and persuasion? “But, other than that… I don’t have much else to tell you about this place. I figure I’ll learn it in time right? I guess you will too.

I smiled as earnestly as a man of my caliber could manage, but when I turned toward the little roan again, I couldn’t help but chuckle. “You know ‘ole bitter, you’re welcome to come with us.

Thank god for my inability to give any actual shits.

Atlas

Save your light
image credits

@[Cherokee] @[Colt] --- and he's released >.>

Run towards the stars, or make them shine. Fight the tide, until the day we die.

▌ Pixel by DarkShadow

Unregistered
Cherokee
I'll keep a part of you with me, and everywhere I am there you'll be
As the moon rose higher in the sky, illuminating everything with an eerie silver glow, Cherokee could feel the tension between the two Helovians growing thicker and thicker. Colt seemed to instantly bristle around the newcomer, growing even hostile as he spoke. And the cool, cocky arrogance of the stallion was enough to send a shiver up the golden mare's spine. Both were vying for her attention, her company on their respective paths, it was almost too much for the young mare.

A quick step back from the both of them and Cherokee was more than glad that she had turned her hind end away from the water's edge when Colt had first appeared. She needed a getaway, just in case. She couldn't match the speed of the two creatures in front of her, but if she got enough of a head start she knew she could outlast them. As Atlas spoke directly to Colt, Cherokee chanced another half step away from the two.

It would have been easy to follow Colt had this starry coated stallion not turned up, she wouldn't have had to make a hard decision. Now though, she had three options, go with the silver mare to a home where she promised protection, safety. She could run again, run as far as she possibly could, perhaps meet another, or even live out the rest of her years in solitude. However, with the approach of Atlas, she had a third choice, she could take the road he followed to this 'Throat' he spoke of, an actual herd land, one that Colt had said was south. South meant warmth, and the warmth was never something Cherokee shunned.

It was so much to decide right then and there. Then it hit her, the stocky mare before her had mentioned spies. Spies for what, on whom? And if it was spies she craved, would they not have to be inside the herd lands gaining information? It also dawned on her that Colt had never finished her speech, her purpose still lay unclear in the night air.

How would she convince the mare that she could be on her side while playing this Atlas character at the same time? Both offers hung heavy between the three animals and Cherokee knew that it was now or never, she had to decide. Or did she?

She could spy in the Throat should Colt want it, gain the trust of the ones who lived there, this Atlas included. She chanced a look in his direction, praying he was not a some form of divine creature who could read her thoughts.

"Colt, you didn't finish your thought before this lovely gentleman joined us. Though I am intrigued by your establishment."

She left the statement alone for Colt to speak up before turning to the stallion, she had to gain both of their trust. It wasn't going to be easy though. Hopefully the bloodstained mare would understand what she was trying to do.

"This 'Dragons Throat' does sound appealing Atlas. Perhaps it would be a worth while journey."

A quick swish of her tail in towards Colt, maybe she would interpret it as a sign, it would be a worthwhile journey for a spy, as well as a newcomer to these lands. Sending up a quick prayer, she spoke again, this time looking past Colt to a stand of trees as she did so, would she take the hint without tipping off the horned beast in their midst?

"I have had quite an overload of information friends, would you excuse me? I'd like to have a moment alone. The past few weeks have been difficult."

Word Count: 620
OOC: Hmmm, Didn't expect to write that, but it turns out Cherokee is a sneaky bitch! ;)

chris_parfitt on flickr
larfsalot on deviantart

Dark
Colt
A scrunched up scowl finds its way to her dark ebony features, black ears slinking back against her dusty crest as she eyes the speckled stallion. How rude of him to treat her with such disrespect, in the future— his death would come slower. He would not find bliss or happiness after death, he would die just as her father did. Alone and forgotten. She simply cocked a sly smile in response to his words, tail swishing irritably as she stood before the buckskin mare.

This "Atlas", he offered her an escort to the Throat. Colt's reaction is a sour one, her expression becoming even more bitter as she focuses on him with such murderous intent. Stealing away a predators prey.. idiot. She readies herself, prepared to whip herself around and shoot him quickly and cleanly, an execution. Unscheduled, but.. it would do. Charcoal auds swivel to listen, the mare asking what Colt was saying before the brute interrupted. A pause, a sweet, terribly bittersweet smile crawls over her lips. "Ah yes— we fight for justice and peace. We go through the herds to hear of any violent occurrences, seeking to aid those involved." She looks at the stallion with a frown as her twisted lies fall from her lips, deceptive words flowing seamlessly from her mouth. "My offer only extends to her." She shakes her head gently, midnight tresses sweeping off to the left of her face. She anxiously waited to see if Cherokee was interested, trying to keep this Atlas fellow as far away as possible from her previous Empire.

She watches as the golden beaut perks up about the Throat, a dark tail brushing against her brindled legs. A relaxed body shifts beside a tense silver dun figure, steel sights settling upon the horned male. Disgusting, even laying her eyes on him made her sick. Drawing her back with unsteady words, Cherokee asks for a moment alone. A smile spreads over velvet lips, wicked and foul. "Why of course, take all the time you need." Her eyes travel as far as they can towards the space where the buckskin looked, her unfocused eyes targeting a clearing of trees. A small nod signals that Colt is granting Cherokee permission to do as she pleases, uncaring as to what she needed to do wherever she was headed.
Speech
@[Atlas] && @[Cherokee]

Join the movement.

Linds

Could you believe it? I felt more like an outcast than ever before and these mares were but fools if they believed me ignorant to their plans. I didn’t have to study astrology to read the signs or the gentle curve of their smiles… I’d been through it all before. I found it almost humorous that they assumed me so blind, as if a man of beauty might lack the smarts to survive. Little did they know that I had come from a woman more conniving than the two of them put together- a real harlot of the felonious trade. When I was but a boy, I adored my own mother, and rightfully so. She was my protector and my constant companion, but that did not make her righteous or just. She had been a swindling little mix, my mother, a real clever little lass. However, her age and her nature made her talent more accessible than these fools.

I didn’t need to read body language to know how Cherokee felt about ‘ole bitter-it was all in the conversation and the way she spoke of ole bitter’s group. For someone of such soft nature, I didn’t expect for her to accept Colt as easily as she did… unless there was something more that I was unaware of. Her praise was also something to be wary of, given that I’d seen my mother do much the same in my past. However, her tactics were a bit more elusive. Bless her soul, she would add a little fire to her ice and at least she made it believable. Besides, who in their right mind would be compelled to agree with someone who hired their band to herds unknown? Cherokee had no idea what she was facing nor did she want to know, apparently. What kind of herds would be interested in Colt’s little assembly? Or did that matter to the “golden girl”?

I listened to the foreign mare as best as my growing anger would allow before I finally grew tired of the banter. Let Colt have her (which I found humorous because she was named after a male foal after all). I could give a shit less what happened to the two of them, but of course, don’t say I didn’t try. I just didn’t need the baggage on my way to the Throat- I had much better arrangements waiting for me there… You could imagine that I would see Colt’s little band turned from their borders as well. What would her mission become when word spread of my encounter or if my intelligence sealed her from any opportunities with allied herds? I would see her destroyed if only for being a rude little bitch. I was sick and tired of humoring others when I had so much more to offer than simple entertainment.

I nodded and smiled at Cherokee’s attempt to absolve me in my pursuit of the Throat, though it still seemed quite insincere to me. Like my mother, I would see her forgotten. I was not some animated tool to be used and dropped… surely she would understand my motives at some point or another, though I doubted it. “Yes, it is appealing. A whimsical hybrid mare told me of its allure and I’ve contemplated it ever since. I find that the hierarchy of a herd is more appealing than relying on the insecurity of remaining an outcast like her,” I stated evenly. Of course the best part was yet to come.

Again the little roan found only more hurtful words to keep me from equality and I only smiled at her in return. I was not a man easily thrown from task… and I was admittedly driven toward the chore of swearing myself to the allegiance of the Dragon’s Throat. These mares were only a detour and one quickly surpassed. I was almost glad when Cherokee stated that she needed only a moment to mull over the information Colt and I had supplied. However, a moment was all that it took for me to abandon such a futile endeavor.

It was almost too simple to turn heel and walk away. What a waste of breath and time- no wonder the natives abhorred the Threshold.

Note taken.

Atlas

Save your light
image credits

@[Cherokee] @[Colt]

▌ Pixel by DarkShadow