the Rift

[PRIVATE] Heroes of our time

Cathun Posts: 88
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 3 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Tai
Cathun

He came looking for her once the trials were over, before any verdicts had been made and delivered, before he knew which new path his life had been steered into. Curiosity drove him, because in the short time he had spent with his father there was one name that had been repeated more than any other, one mare in particular that stood out. He had seen her before, in the gathered crowd - it had been impossible not to notice her arrival as light turned to night and acerbic words were exchanged that turned his passionate bonfire speech into cold ashes, trampled and forgotten - and now he wished to speak to her. Because he wished to. Because he had a message to deliver. Because he should.

True dusk was falling now as he searched his way through the unfamiliar forest, his lanky teenage frame carried without half the grace and practiced ease his father possessed. Yet their resemblance was remarkable; it was the same steely coat, the same silvery sheen to mane and tail, the same calm determination in the gaze as Cathun wandered on, aimless with no set path to follow. He didn't need one; he just had to look for the place where the forest was darkest, where the burning twilight sky deepened into midnight blue and the only light came from distant stars. The pearly crescent of the moon would be absent; come to think of it, he had yet see her face since he came to Helovia. Did it have something to do with that thing the Goddess had done, she who was hated by everyone?

If it hadn't been so amusing to see a god shunned by her own followers, Cathun would almost feel sorry for the divine. Why did they blame her for acting according to her nature?

But it wasn't his problem. Not yet, maybe not ever. Tonight he wanted to talk about other things, explore different perspectives - sate his own curiosity.

When he finally found her his smile was eager, ears pricked and eyes burning as he stepped up to the fallen queen.

"Hail, Dragonheart" he greeted, brazen and confident and brimming with awe as he regarded her, the dragon mare he had come to see as a hero of legends. "I apologize for not greeting you earlier, there were so many loudmouths around that I hardly could hear my own thoughts." Never mind that he had been vocal too - in his mind Cathun had at least said something original.

"What did you think about the spectacle? I ended up participating, even though I originally had no intention to... It felt a bit farce like to me, I wonder if a fair verdict will be placed at all."

A verdict where he won, that is. Cathun, King of the World's Edge... It had a nice ring to it for sure, but his vision was bigger than becoming the leader of a single herd. Whether he won or not was irrelevant; the things he had to do remained the same regardless.

@[Mirage]

so tell me why, baby, they might call me crazy
for saying I'd fight, until there is no more

peretz partensky on flickr
larfsalot on deviantart

» Magic and Violence is permitted at all times
» Please tag me!

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
Mirage the DragonHeart
What indeed, did the DragonHeart think of the proceedings?

It was a farce, a joke, a ridiculous waste of time.

Time would only tell what the true outcome of the proceedings would be. No matter what leaders were chosen this day (or night), they would not last unless the Goddess of the lands willed it to be so. Mirage wondered what the Goddess of the night thought of everything, she longed to learn what thoughts drifted through the devious immortal's divine mind, if only so that she could compare her own thoughts to those of the divine's.

Though there was little use in comparing oneself to a God, Mirage found her thoughts filled with it more and more - better to think of a Goddess than to focus too strongly on the mortal concerns that would tether her too long to earthly concerns.. The mare was too attached as it was to those who lingered those from her past.. And now those of her future.

A sigh passed her charred, blackened lips, as she watched over her daughter through the draconic vision of her bonded. Broken, Akaith's murmured to her, sadness colouring the tone, and Mirage could not help but agree. She had seen it in the final look Amaris had given her, the long, silent gaze that betrayed everything the beautiful, brilliant girl had felt. She too, felt everything too strongly, and now she would experience the full wrath of self-doubt and depression; and there was nothing her mother could do to save her.

She should have expected him, and yet she was surprised to find her solace disturbed by the fire-eyed colt, the youth who was the image of his father. He speaks and greeted her with a cool, calm confidence that Mirage wished her daughter would copy, though on Cathun it reeked of arrogance and a youthful sense of 'know-it-all'. The mare sighed inwardly, hearing the irony behind his words (for surely he had the loudest mouth of the gathered), and she hardly felt like divulging her innermost thoughts to this youth when her heart and soul was with her daughter, and her mind on divine plans and happenings.

"Whatever happens, whatever assessments the winning contestants pass this evening, their test has only just begun. The Goddess will only accept those she finds worthy as rulers long term." The mare's accented tones spoke quietly - it was Cathun's own fault if he was not paying enough attention to her to miss them, she was not about to repeat herself. The mare allowed the silence to settle upon them, breathing in the misty air, knowing it was potentially the last time she ever would - depending on the outcome of this inquisition into the leadership.

"Why did you compete?" It was barely a whisper, her aged voice rolled over her tongue with all its years crafting the words, and only her eyes betrayed the curiosity that burned within her as she held his own orbs of molten fire. Why are you here at all? Why do you exist?

Why aren't you my son?

floweringfatality | larfsalot
on deviantart