the Rift

[OPEN] Dead Inside

Destrier Posts: 180
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3hh :: 16 HP: 65.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo

Victory was a far cry from what it should've been called.

Few had come to the defense of the Hidden Falls, and those who had were gravely outnumbered as they found themselves face to face with not only the Edge, but the Basin as well. We had emerged from the sorry battle victorious, but for what? I'd failed to question the motives behind the attack in the first place and had rushed in blindly. Was it a just cause, or had our leaders grown greedy? Was it because of the Moon's betrayal that we had sought a new home?

No matter the reason, as the days went on, I felt myself growing bitter as those thoughts gnawed endlessly at my mind. I loved the Edge and those I called my family, my brothers and sisters, even those I'd never really spoken to before, and had followed them all to the Falls while leaving my beloved home behind. The Edge had become a part of me, a part of who I was, and had finally begun to fill the hole in my heart once held by Vallhea. It ripped me to pieces as I carried myself away from that misty land for what could be the last time, as though a monster was clawing at my very insides ready to tear my heart open.

Yet still, I held my head high as I entered the foreign territory of the Falls, the hefty glass cart rolling along behind me bearing the weight of Resplendence's beloved herb box. A distant look haunted my bister eyes as I took in the land, as though disappointed in what lie before me; it offered clear, wide open spaces whereas the Edge had been thick with trees and ferns; it offered the sight of beautiful, cascading waterfalls and towering mountains, but it lacked the beauty of a sun rising to cast its golden-red glow across the ocean.

It was only when a concerned coo from Suli sounded that I noticed my feet had drawn to a halt. With a sharp breath I looked back to her, the little green sitting perched on the edge of the cart by the even smaller Merlin. As young as the black dragon was, even he could sense the emotion that was keeping me so distracted, and he mimicked Suli in the way that she cocked her head to the side in clear worry.

Exhaling the sigh heavily, I turned my head back to face the Falls, my unwilling, reluctant new home. "I'm okay," I reassured them as I pressed on, picking up my feet once more as I spoke my hesitant promise and ignoring the tremor in my voice, "I'll be okay."

image credits

You may attack and use magic on Des at any time for any reason.

HP: 66.5

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba

resplendence ,
hold me now and leave me never

Aye, Destrier had been kind. He had once again pulled the cart with Resplendence's cart back to the Falls. She had gone with him back to the Edge, gathered all of her things and went with him on the trip. Her limbs moving in quiet time near him. Still she offered him a lot of space, moving into the Falls with the canopy upon her back as Destrier stopped. Aye, she hadn't even noticed it. She had kept moving forward, and with Valiance's help had carefully folded her canopy and placed it near the cave-like prison cells she had found not that long ago.

Still, though, it was Valiance who had gone back toward the borders. He had seen Destrier just standing there awkwardly at the border. "Destrier. Border, still there," Valiance explained, swooping back down to meet up with Resplendence as she started to make her way back to the border. She missed that he had spoken, though Valiance had landed on the ground a few feet in front of Destrier. His feathered wings were spread out before folding carefully at his side and swished his tail back and forth. A sign of reassurance to the stag, and thanks until Resplendence returned.

"Destrier, I thought you'd followed me." she said, when she finally pulled back up near him. "What's wrong? Can I help at all?" Resplendence instantly inquired, stretching her neck out to press her maw up against his neck in a comforting manner should he allow it. Aye, he was family - he would always be family. That would never change.

YAY RES AND DES ©

When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

Destrier Posts: 180
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3hh :: 16 HP: 65.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo

Despite my company from the Edge back to the Falls, I had remained quiet save for a word or two, my mind too abuzz. I'd hardly even noticed as Resplendence continued on without me, and she too seemed not to notice my halt, but I didn't mind - these astringent feelings were ones I needed to face myself and put to rest.

But only minutes later did the little red dragon I knew as Valiance return, garnering a cheerful chirp from Suli and a soft, childish squeak from Merlin. Before me the red twitched his tail back and forth, and for a moment I was confused as to the signal he was trying to give me -- I didn't know him well, after all, not like my own draconids -- but my answer came the moment that Resplendence resurfaced from her task.

As she outstretched her maw towards my neck, a soft smile tugged at my dark lips that did not quite reach my eyes. In a gentle action I returned the gesture, pressing my nose into her neck and lipping playfully at her mane for but a moment before withdrawing. Dragging in a deep breath and letting it out slowly, I gave a shake of my head to her question. Resplendence was a dear friend, a sister in my eyes, and I couldn't find it in myself to lie to her. "It's a matter of the mind," I explained, "It will fade in time, though. There's no cause to worry."

I didn't need or want to drag the strawberry mare into my assumptions nor my worries, as she surely had better things to do than listen to an old man like myself and try to bring him peace of mind. So, I did the only other thing I could think of, and attempted to change the subject. "Your garden," I continued, gesturing back to where it lie in the cart, "Where would you like it to be placed?"

[I'm so sorry, Abba >__< Busy life is busy!]

image credits

You may attack and use magic on Des at any time for any reason.

HP: 66.5

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence

one day i'll be stronger than my own doubt
Valiance got a joyful welcome from Destrier's two companions as Resplendence pulled up. Her maw was outstretched toward his neck, as he tried to offer a smile back. He returned the gesture, though, by playing with her mane for just a moment before pulling back. He shakes his head with a deep breath in. He says that it is a matter of the mind. He says that it would fade with time - that she needn't worry. "I always worry…" she responded with, the softness of her tone easily woven in. "If I can help at all, do let me know Destrier. I always have time for those I consider family," she insisted tilting her head to the side ever so slightly and offering one of her comforting smiles.

There were a few more clicks and swishes of Valiance's tail from the ground before he tried to turn to Destrier's companions. A conversation in the language of the dragons was going forth, obviously, as Resplendence watched her young one. She didn't know that Valiance was trying to tell them to grab him if Destrier got worse, if they felt he needed assistance from Resplendence. But, all the same, she was amused by his change in demeanor.

Destrier tries to change the subject, asking where she'd like her herb box to go. "There are prisons back there… one of which I've been making into my home with the canopy much as I had near the garden at the Edge. We can bring it there, if you have the energy to trek to the other side of the Falls,"

It was with that which had Valiance shoot back off to the skies again - a red beacon for the travelers to follow. "Then, we can put some salve on your hooves to help your joints. They must be bothering you…" she finishes, concern laced in her voice as she eyed the dark stag before her.
Image Credit
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love