the Rift

[OPEN] something wicked this way comes...? [Bloodfall report]

Cathun Posts: 88
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 3 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Tai

Things hadn't exactly turned out the way he had expected them to. This and that had happened and before he knew it, birds were chirping, the snow was melting and the sound of running, rushing, gurgling and laughing water was everywhere. It made the progress incredibly slow and the travel messy beyond belief, but for once Cathun felt no inclination to stop and comb the mud and grime out of the hair. Because, well, there wasn't much hair left to comb. The embers were consuming it, inch by sweeping inch erupting into flame as the second bead in his necklace blinked on and off under the strain of suppressing the rampaging magic. The young stallion kept his mouth pressed firmly together in a stern line as he hurried south towards the coast, the panic at this erratic behavior hidden only by a thin veil of determination... but it grew harder to maintain for every hiccup and delay along the way.

He didn't pause to hesitate or skulk around as he reached the magical bridge, like he usually did. In long strides he gathered speed and leaped instead with reckless abandon off the steep edge. Immediately he noticed how the amulet finally caved in as wings of flame erupted from his sides to carry him across the sea, summoned by the key that glinted and gleamed among the billowing flames that now burst from his neck in place of hair. He grimaced but felt no pain, only a grim determination not to give in to panic. When he landed it was in an eruption of silent fire, red-hot but otherwise harmless where it licked his hooves. Any other time the boy might have cursed the signs of growing peril, slipped further into dark despair as he pondered death and misery, but... alas, he was in too much of a hurry this time. Something else was occupying his thoughts, something that was far more urgent than his private little hell.

As soon as he felt solid ground beneath the feet again he rushed off into the flowering desert with the course set for the eastern edge of the Oasis, the place where he knew he was most likely to find warriors, people of rank, maybe even the Sultans. Only a few days ago he would have withered at the thought of facing up to Gaucho after skiving off his duties for two whole seasons, but the news he brought went far beyond the humiliation of a scolding. They could do with him what they wished once he had told them everything he had seen so far...

"Heeey, anyone here?" he shouted as he skidded to a halt by the usual meeting spot, coat dark and lathery with sweat and so winded he could barely get the words out. "I've got news, big news, you won't believe what's happened up north!"

Cathun swirled on the spot as he looked for someone, anyone, to report to, too agitated to stay still even though he was tired to his bones from the long, hard run.

@Ampere @Megaera @Gaucho Open

Wonder Why A Lone Wolf Don't Run With A Clan
only Trust Your Instincts And Be One With The Plan
Credits

» Magic and Violence is permitted at all times
» Please tag me!

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine
She fell out of the sky like a comet. Scorch-tipped wings beat the atmosphere to propel her towards the ground and every muscle strained for speed. She’d been enjoying the skies, soaking in the sun and reveling in the Birdsong high she had been riding for days but the sudden disturbance had put a stop to that. Meg had seen the dust could first, a long plume coming from the north that could only be made by someone moving fast on foot through the desert. Confusion was the first to enter her mind, what on earth would be disturbing the perfect desert now? Then came the shout, and though the words were not distinguishable, the urgency was clear and the the carefree mare was gone in an instant to make way for the militant sultana.

She recognized the figure, one of Ampere’s warriors glimpsed often… the one that crackles and smolders like embers. He was little known to the Meg but trusted all the same as a herd mate and for his fire. Fire was good, pure. it only chose the righteous. Below she saw the grullo stallion spin, looking for an ear for his news and she strained to push herself faster. Almost to the ground, just a bit farther…

Then one word become clear. North.

The Sunspear’s mind went wild at the word. Each scenario that presented itself was worse than the one before. More conflict between the northern tribes? An invasion of the Throat? The wretched Moon Goddess returned to power? Anything that could threaten her home and her herd flew before her mind’s eye. I saw it. she thought, thinking of the Sun God’s mirror.

Dark clouds on the horizon. Had her bliss been too good to last?

She landed violently in a spray of sand. The short-tempered Sultana was half in a rage already at what her mind could conjure but with no enemy here to fight she had to shove it back. A few strides had her to the stallion, steps bold and broad, a soldier’s march if ever there was one. “Cathun!” For the fist time since her promotion she had a reason and so her voice rang like a command. Wide, wild eyes took in every detail of the sweaty figure and she needed to know the reason. “What’s happened?”
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Tai

From the vast, clear blue sky a bullet fell, faster in a nearly uncontrolled dive, and just as he thought the Sultana would smash into a sticky heap of broken bones, brain matter and scattered feathers she spread the vast wings and landed in the precious new grass. Even in the midst of his heart-throbbing panic and exalted state Cathun couldn't help but feel admiration and mingled envy at the expertise she showed in the air, the sheer power and agility she exuded as she hurried over, looking sharp and brisk just like a leader should. She was miles above himself in experience, maturity and skill, and with a renewed sense of self-loathing he recognized the possibility that she wouldn't approve of his decision to leave the battle without even attempting to lend a hand.

But that could wait until later. He turned towards her and hurried on with the report, words tumbling over each other as he hurried to get it over with.

"The Time God is battling a monster in a part of Helovia I've never seen before. Heck - sorry, ma'am - I don't think anyone has seen the place before, it was like it just appeared form nowhere!

"Ranjiri and.. I think it was that Aithniel girl, was there, and a whole bunch of others, and there were foreigners all over the place, and you haven't even seen people as strange as them before, ma'am! They were glowing and swirling and had all sorts of crazy colors and horns and wings, and I have no idea which side they were on but by the sound of it, the thing that was fighting the Time whatever is their GOD so I can't imagine that they'd take kindly to being ripped from wherever and thrown out here."

He had to pause and draw breath, afraid that what he was saying made no sense whatsoever but still struggling to convey the sheer madness of what he had seen. Fire billowed and swayed around him in tune with the agitated pacing, just as hot and restless as him.

"Anyway, the battle was still going on as I left, I figured it'd be best to let you know, to prepare or something in case it doesn't end well... There were a bunch of others there, like I said, I doubt I would have made a difference anyway..."

He breathed heavily, stopping in his tracks to look at Megaera, as if to seek assurance he wasn't sure he would find. The words that steely unicorn bitch had shouted after him still rang in his ears, hot and furious, scornful at the cowardice of running in the face of a battle.

Was he even a man, if he didn't fight? Was that all there was to being one? If so, she'd had more balls than he did.

@Megaera

Credits

» Please tag me!
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

...the battle was still going on as I left...

That was really the only part of the conversation that Gaucho needed to hear. As he descended, seeing Meg and Cathun below and having heard the sooty-one's hails, his lips set into a thin line. Snippets of Cathun's account had caught his ears as he lowered and finally landed. Something about a monster, the Time God and strange refugees. But what popped out were the names he uttered: Ranjiri and that Aithniel girl, and how he had left as the battle ragged.

"Warriors do not leave a battle." Gaucho's words fell flat against the sands, as if their weight was too large for the wind to dare try and buffet in any direction. His flaming wings tucked easily against his darkened flanks as he moved near the pair, his heavy blue-gray stare leveled at the warrior. He halted next to Meg, though he didn't formally acknowledge his counterpart. He was far too intent on hearing whatever response Cathun might offer. Already the graying creature had disappointed him - having run off to attend to leadership in another herd, failing to complete their spar, and shirking his duties. Now he would rather play messenger than stay and fight with members of his herd? His family.

The fiery dun's mind spun rapidly with a plethora of thoughts. What sort of warriors was Ampere grooming? Was Cathun only a taste of her failings as Gladiator since being promoted to Chancellor? And Ranjiri - was she safe? She was battling the monster, surely. A crafter staying behind while the warrior ran home. 

GAUCHO
the wildfire
Image by perfectperfection!
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine
Words. Megaera had always had a need for them even if not a particular talent in prose. Words of confession, words of support; since coming to Helovia they had been as vital to her growth as her time spent training. Time and Time again she had reached out with words in a quiet moment and they had been a balm, a healing tonic…

This was not a quiet moment. This was not the time for words.

Already riding on a wave of adrenaline, the Sunspear listened to each of Cathun’s tumbled words with a growing impatience, though he spoke quickly it seemed to take forever for him to get to the damned point. ”Time God..monster…new part of Helovia…Ranjiri and Aithniel…foreigners… She picked from his speech all the pieces that mattered as her stony expression shifted to express her rage. This “warrior” spent more time on the appearance of these strangers and nothing about if the members of their family safe or where this supposed new piece of Helovia was. The stallion paced and she followed his movement with here eyes, almost shaking with her growing frustration, but then he finally stopped, finally looked at her and that was all she could take. The faint scars upon her muzzle stretched as her lip pulled back in a positive growl and prepared to shout her fury, but they were forestalled by another voice.

Gaucho! The Wildfire had appeared at her side and as always had a remarkable calming effect on the mare. Her ire was not soothed, but Gaucho’s interruption, his shared disapproval, his mere presence was a reminder for her to be better, and she was able to think through her temper. This warrior’s cowardice was not the most important thing right now, the safety of Dragon’s Throat was, and there was action to be taken and it was her responsibility to see it done. Megaera did not glow and spark like Cathun, did not blaze like the Wildfire’s wings, but she had a fire in her heart just as hot as any and it cracked and flared in her voice. ”Where is this place?”

She didn’t wait long for a response, she did’t need a roadmap but a direction. If the battle still raged, she and Gwaihir would find it. The battlemare turned her head to address her counterpart. “I will go.” Her words were clipped, militant. “I’ll take warriors if I find them on the way but time can’t be spared. Marshal the rest, protect the Throat if this threat spreads.” Protect them if I don’t come back. She left a heartbeat, of Gaucho ordered otherwise, she would alter her course but there was little doubt in her mind that the season Sultan would support her. With a quick glance at Cathun, a cutting glare, she turned and broke into a run. Gathering speed, the Sunspear launched herself into the air.
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Tai

"Warriors do not leave a battle."

The boy flinched visibly as he turned and stared back into the piercing blue eyes of the Sultan. He could feel their judging eyes weigh on him, brown and blue, blue and brown, all while his insides roiled in shame and his feet longed to start running again. The only thing they were good at.

But he didn't bow away, nor did he avert his gaze. Instead something sulky, defiant and angry flashed across the young face, self-righteous and stubborn.

"It wasn't my fight!" he snapped mulishly, pushing aside the small part of him that quivered and cowed in face of his leaders disappointment. He could oppose them, because they were only mortals like himself. Flesh and blood, doomed to perish one day, with no more power to smite or curse than he possessed himself. They weren't gods.

He pushed away the vision of Ranjiri's gold-kissed face too as he turned towards Megaera, ears still tilted back as he answered her question;

"North, more east than west; it'll be quicker if you fly over the Falls. Look for a mountain where the trees are red... you can't miss it."

He watched her go after that, gritting his teeth at the harsh glare. Who was she to put blame on him? Who were any of them to decide what he ought to do with his own life?

"It wasn't my fight" he repeated, as if trying to convince himself. Burning, glowing eyes returned to Gaucho and the pacing stopped, the colt growing rigid in the effort to refrain from raising his voice. "Why should I fight when it doesn't concern me who wins? What could I even do against a god? A god, Gaucho!"

Flames crackled and snapped as they burned on his crest, hungrily licking skin without singeing the steely coat. He looked angry and upset as he trampled grass into mush beneath slate hooves, prepared - or so he thought - for whatever scolding or punishment the Sultan surely would hand out.

Credits

@Gaucho

» Please tag me!

Aithniel the Inquisitor Posts: 169
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.0hh :: 4 Years HP: 75 | Buff: NOVICE
Zerachiel :: Royal Griffin :: Molten Dagger tamme
AITHNIEL
Aithniel was late, but wings carried her south. She was not about to miss informing her new herd about what she had just seen, especially since she had done little else but complain for a while and avoid anything with a pulse. Her anger issues were apparent, like a troubled teen needing to be left along, and fortunately the Dragon's Throat had done just that. In a way, that was the best option, because in her solitude she grew, and those here respected her; they did not treat her like a child. There was freedom here - not monsters talking about taking her wings away like in the Basin. Maybe she should actually tell Rikyn about that; what would he say?

Big, bloody sores had also started to fester on her body, and she grimaced, waving her lion's tail around her as she saw the fiery wings she grew to associate with Gaucho. Breathless, she landed, shaking out her black and golden mane from her pale face. Another one was there, someone she hadn't met, but she did see him turn around and leave the battle. Maybe that was how he had gotten here first? Still, the thought made her grind her teeth together, and she ruffled her feathers, opening her big mouth full of sassy words. 

"Oh, I don't know, asshole," she snapped, tossing her head and dropping the vial of blood at her cloven hooves.  "But we won, no thanks to you." A proud smile curved her lips, and she straightened her shoulders in a haughty way. She was the daughter of the Sun God and now she helped kill a god! To say she was a little high on power was putting everything mildly.  "Roskuld slayed the beast in the end, but the rest of us helped. You can check it out if you want to, but there isn't much left. The God of Time gave out pieces of the god's carcass and freed those who were oppressed in this foreign land." 

Would the Sun God have his chance? Would she be victorious? Aithniel the God Killer... That had a nice ring to it, right? The sores on her body would prove troublesome, but she didn't care. Everything would heal eventually, and she would be on the forefront of this entire god drama. Aithniel bowed her head to Gaucho.  "I am going to go out again - see if anyone else is pushing east in different locations. You should uhm... maybe... join us? I am sure the herd will be safe." 

If she could blush, she would have. Gaucho was the secret crush she held onto, though she knew it would go nowhere. 

Image Credit

@Random Event (because boils)

But burn down our home
I won't leave alive

Please tag me in everything!

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
(As this thread is dated before the infected list was posted, Aitniel need not be infected yet.)