the Rift

I Will Fail You

Nayati Posts: 116
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 14.3hh :: four years
Rathunax :: Common Red Dragon :: Shock Breath cailyn

And so she came back to where it had all started. The woods were as constant as the sun in its rising, the moon in its phases. Her knees quaked to return to the land, and Rathunax cooed soft sounds of worry into her ears. He was not born when she had first entered Helovia, but she let the memory overcome her, let him see and gaze upon the broken, fragile doll she'd once been. Still as tiny as she ever was, ever more so, a mere weanling struggling through snow drifts taller than she. And blood. Bleeding. Pain across her side, a lance, a dagger of fire. Oh god, all the red. Like a cruel ironic mockery of her flowers, blooming in the snow around her, hot and fresh from her body like a waiting meal for the wolves. She remembered her scarred, blackened knees, her terror like turpine on her tongue. Venom and violence. She remembered thinking, horrified but in some way relieved, that she was going to die in that moment. And she would have, if Svetlana had not found her. But she remembered her terror, choked on it even as an adult, and turned her suddenly burning eyes away from the spot where she'd once crumpled into a defeated heap.

Rathunax cried a sorrowful song, leaping from her back to the east, knowing with a sinking sadness what it was Nayati sought to do in that moment. She merely stood among her flowers, watching them bloom, and wondering what had driven her to this precipice. No, there was no wondering required, she thought with a cruel cutting twist to her mouth. She had lost her home once more, in a way, though it was her family in the end who had won. Nayati understood violence, and she knew inside that they had done it all because they needed to get away from the Moon Goddess and her potential desires to utilize them, destroy them. But she felt as alone in Helovia as she had when she'd first wandered in.

Vadim...she sighed to herself, a smile coming reluctantly to her lips. Yes, she loved him. Though Resplendence had not reacted very well when she'd told her, Nayati could not help how she felt for the quiet, contemplative stallion. Would he forget her, when she left? Would he miss her, worry about her? It hurt to imagine that he would not, but he was a realist, and Nayati was a broken-hearted romanticist. For a moment she considered sending Rathunax to find him, but Helovia was extraordinarily vast, and it would take days if not weeks for Vadim to make it to the Threshold. No...she would tell her mother what needed to be said to the beautiful boy she'd fallen for. Perhaps it made her a coward to disappear without saying goodbye face to face, but she felt that maybe he would be better off without her in the end.

"Thank you," she whispered, to all the Helovian gods, the inherent magic of the land, the Threshold itself. A tear slipped from one ruby eye to caress her cheek lovingly. "You saved me, back then. Thank you." It was all she could say for the land she loved. The land she had to leave.

@[Resplendence]

the rose shadows said that they loved the sun, but they also loved the dark, 
where their roots grew through the lightless mystery of the earth. the roses said: you do not have to choose. 

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence

one day i'll be stronger than my own doubt
Aye, Resplendence was moving back toward the Threshold once more. It had become a biweekly habit for her during her time in the Edge. It had offered her a purpose even when her title had been stripped from her. And now, now it was just a comfort. While some of those which she met would never grace her lands, and some scared her half to death. She had grown to be braver as of late. In fact, she was definitely more at ease. Though, now it was concern which laced her features instead of fear. Quilyan and Rue had not returned to the Falls since the invasion was successful. She was growing even more antsy with each passing day. And, she knew that soon she would be dragging herself back into the lands of the mists in order to find them - to ensure that they were okay.

But, for today she would just go back to the next closest thing and trapeze through the threshold once more. Alas, what she found was not what she was expecting. Valiance shot forth at the sound of the sad dragon song, leading Resplendence toward Rathunax and Nayati. Aye, at least one of her family members had been found. "Nayati!" she calls instantly, her limbs pulling her forth faster than before. She goes to embrace her daughter in a hug as the mare stands in her field of flowers. And, their own respective pools joined. Glitter mixing with the flowers and causing the entire unit to end up glowing with Resplendence's joy.

Alas, as she moved in closer to Nayati, though, she noticed the one tear that slipped down her cheeks. "What's wrong m'dearest?" she inquired, concern once again filling her features and having it to increase even more.

Image Credit
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

Outcast

Fate had given her one last moment to shine, one final gift before Nayati left and faced the life of an outcast once more. Alone again. She knew that she could spare herself that ending, those next few lonely chapter of her life if she merely stayed. But something also drove her onward. She had to do this, for herself. She needed to find that inner strength that was budding, but restricted by the herd life she was in. There was still so much left to explore of herself, and it needed to be done in solitude. Her travels as an outcast had toughened her after the Foothills had fallen to the Grey, and Nayati needed that experience once more. Leaving would not be easy in the least, however. But perhaps that was the first trial? The initial hurdle? Baby steps, she told herself, and Rathunax sighed mournfully.

Wingbeats, small but familiar, brought her ears round towards the sound. Rathunax circled back around with a cry of recognition, calling out to his younger kin. Nayati turned slowly, blinking dumbly to see Resplendence hurrying towards her, relief painted artistically on her beautiful face and glitter descending from her mane and tail. Nayati smiled tearfully to see her there, standing before her like a vision from her dreams. Rue's birth had shoved Nayati far from the family portrait, and she'd descended into the shadows with a quiet sort of understanding. It had happened with Romani as well, experience had taught her that she was never going to be worth enough to be chosen first or kept around as anything more than a charity case.

"Momma," she whispered nonetheless, because of all the mothers Nayati had obtained, Resplendence had been there for her the longest. She hadn't walked away, not fully, and Nayati loved her so much it hurt. Leaving her mother would perhaps be the hardest part of walking away, and Vadim beside her. Because who else would care enough to miss her but those two? Perhaps Alysanne...and Nayati regretted not being able to say goodbye to her either. But if she turned around, if she walked back into the depths of Helovia, she'd never be able to go through with leaving again.

Nayati fell into Resplendence's embrace, tucking her cheek into the warm skin that was so familiar to her. She'd been held in that manner before, when the two had first met, Nayati shaking and terrified in a thorn bush during the night. The motion had not ceased comforting her yet, and knowing it might be her last embrace for quite a while only made yet another tear crease down her cheek. A sob that was once supposed to be a laugh echoed in her hollowed-out throat, beneath the painted crimson rose marking that had one day appeared and never left. How could she possibly break the news? "I'm leaving, momma."

where their roots grew through the lightless mystery of the earth. the roses said: you do not have to choose. 

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence

one day i'll be stronger than my own doubt
She clung to the young one. Wrapping her in a warm embrace she had come to find comfort in as well. Aye, Nayati would always be her daughter - the one that was there when she had lost her twins. She had never told Nayati that - of how much the young one reminded her of the two fillies she had lost, that she hadn't been able to protect. And, the word momma simply pained her right in the heart. She clung to this embrace, giving Nayati as much time as was necessary for the young one to offer her some kind of explanation.

Alas, it was the half-sob half-laugh that caused her to press her maw in even closer. A type of massage urging the mare to either cry or speak, whichever was most needed at the time. And, when the three words finally escaped her maw Resplendence had to fight back the tears herself. She could feel her breath caught in her chest while Valiance continued to mingle with Rathunax. "Oh, baby," she whispers, finally pulling back when she had managed to clear her eyes of the pain it brought upon her.

But Nayati was strong, and she had shown it time and time before. She was becoming more than Resplendence had ever managed too, and for that she was grateful. "Be safe." she whispered, tears winning out and pooling at her eyelids. Her tail swished, Valiance clicking at the pair from his location with Rathunax - a support of sorts. "You're strong… stronger than I'll ever be." She tells her, eyes shining with both pride and pain. "I'm proud to call you my daughter… remember that, please…" There is a break, as her voice gives. Aye, Resplendence. Be supportive! Stop sobbing! But, that wasn't in her system. She would be supportive with the tears if they wanted anything else at all. "If you need me… for anything… I will do all I can." She looks up toward the sky, staring at the weak light between the tree-tops, for some sign that everything would be fine if her daughter left. That she wouldn't face the same fate as her twins. That she wouldn't die in pain because she had left. "Come back safe… I won't stop you from leaving if it's what you need…" There is a shatter, and her glitter's glow is weakening as certain memories flash across her vision. The blood, the torn flesh. Her eyes squeeze shut. "Just promise me you'll be safe…"

And she feels herself break more. Her adopted daughter gone, her mate and daughter not at the Falls yet. Aye, and for now it feels as if the world wants to rip her to shreds again. Build her up just enough to keep moving, and then continue the destruction. She was meant to suffer, that was her purpose. But, if it meant that Nayati wouldn't have to endure that suffering… she would take it. If it meant that Rue didn't have to experience that pain, she would harbour it. If it meant that Quilyan wouldn't have to fight as hard for everything, she would shoulder the weight. She would do it all for everyone else to live the lives they wanted. She would move the Earth, bring down the moon and the stars… she would do anything.

Image Credit
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

Outcast

Nayati fell into her embrace like an angel from grace, careless and without regret. She soaked it up like a sponge, drawing into her very pores, hoping to keep her mother's touch with her. Lingering for as long as Nayati disappeared from the lands that had cradled her limp, near-lifeless body and breathed hope and new chances back into it. Helovia and its rulers had given her trials, and she'd overcome them. They had given her Resplendence. Surely she had done something worthy, then?

Baby. Even when Rue was born, the fact that Resplendence still deigned to call her that was like a mountain shifting in her heart. Massive, inconceivable, meaningful. And her tears came faster even as a smile burned onto her face, painful but pleasant. Her fears put to rest moments before she abandoned her mother, who had been left behind and hurt too many times already. But Resplendence had others, a support group that would hoist her high in the wake of Nayati's absence. And the flower maiden truly believed that, with all her heart. So many people saw the beauty in Resplendence. She'd never be alone, not really. No matter what the dark insidious thoughts in her head whispered to her at night.

And she was given her blessing. Nayati laughed through her tears and shook her head against her mother's breast where it still stubbornly lay. "You made me strong," she assured in a quiet, quivering whisper. "I wouldn't be here at all if it wasn't for you, momma." They had started something special in that rosebush that night, and Nayati wouldn't regret it, wouldn't take it back for the world and all its treasures and powers.

It was her turn to press her sinful, blackened lips to her mother's pure tears. Brushed them away with little kisses that spoke a thousand words she could never convey on her own. "I will come back," she vowed, the strength that Resplendence saw in her rising up beneath her words, steady as bedrock. Immovable, indestructible. Leaving would only give it room to grow, and so Nayati had to leave. "I will come back to you." With a sorrowful cry, Rathunax pulled reluctantly away from Valiance, drifting down to land atop Nayati's hips, big sad brimstone eyes on Resplendence. Nayati similarly slowly began to draw away, her heart breaking to do so.

"W-Will you tell Vadim that I love him?" It was a tremulous thing, her question. "And Rue. I'm sorry I couldn't be the big sister I should have..." Nayati had to be aware that she was destroying their family, in a way. It was her fault, and she had to carry that weight with her through the gateway and away from the only little group that had cared enough to take her in and love her for more than a season or two. "I love you, momma. I'll see you again," was her last promise, tearful but sincere, and the pair turned reluctantly and made their way out of the forest. All that was left in her passing as she faded away was a singular trail of flowers.