the Rift

[OPEN] whats the sense in anything?

Evangeline the Pure Posts: 199
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 :: 10
Tallis :: Common Orange Dragon :: Fire Breath & Toxic Breath ali
Thor && Evangeline

The orange mare did not approve of the invasion that had taken place and the fact that Thor had marched off to fight in it left her with a bad taste in her mouth. What was the purpose of it? Because they didn't want to live in the Edge with the Moon Goddess there? Then leave and go live somewhere else. Why oust an entire group from their home instead of asking to live with them. To Evangeline the answer was clear. It was greed. It was power. It was because the Edge's leaders wanted to hold onto their power and not become just another run of the mill member of another herd.

She was disappointed, nearly to the point of being disgusted with the three of them. Did they really think that they would be safe from the Moon Goddess in another herd? Did they forget about the Sun God and his rampage that burned two herd lands that were not his own? Yes, the Moon Goddess had committed murders, yes she was despicable, horrible, dishonorable, and mean, but what made them any better than her? They had attacked a herd, uprooted the lives of families who were trying to go about their lives. They had no idea of the trauma they inflicted on young minds and how it would last and affect them well into their adult years.

No idea.

Did they even care or were they so wrapped up in themselves that it didn't matter what happend to anyone else as long as they were happy?

"Tallis..." Evangeline called to her dragon, who had flown ahead of her to scan the battlefield and look for Thor. "This is wrong." She sighed when Tallis didn't respond to her, probably because he didn't know what to say. He was a dragon and the instinct to fight was still ingrained into who he was no matter how often he chose not to for the sake of his bonded. Tears pricked Eva's emerald eyes as she came upon the Falls and saw the individuals that had been defeated that were leaving. She whispered apologies to them as she continued forward, though no amount of apologies could change what had happened.

The smell of blood was thick, heavy, nauseating, oppressing. It pricked at fears and memories that Evangeline had tried to keep burried and hidden away in her subconscious. Without wanting to she remembered the invasion of the Moonlit Tides. She remembered the smell of blood from broken bodies and the salt from the sea, the sound of screams intermingling with the crashing waves. It sent a chill down Eva's spine and she shook her head, but that alone would never be enough to be completely rid of the memories that haunted her childhood.

"Oh, Gods." She whispered as she continued farther into the herd land. She didn't know if she could do it. She didn't know if she could live there knowing that her family had just violently taken a herd when their issues could have been settled peacefully and diplomatically. But why settle for diplomacy when violence was so much easier?

"Thor?" Evangeline called out as she came to a halt on the battlefield. "Do you see him, Tallis?" She asked, looking up toward the sky at her dragon. 'No.' Came his reply, making Evangeline's blood feel like it turned to an icy slosh in her veins. "No?" She asked aloud, eyes still skyward. Where could he be? She'd watched him leave, had told him to be careful even though she didn't approve. Had he fallen in battle? If he did she would never forgive him, not after everything he had put her through. "Please, Tallis. Find him and bring him here." She pleaded with the dragon, watching as he disappered to do what she requested of him.

And so she waited, standing on the battlefield, the Moon Goddess' feather in her mane still giving off black smoke like it always did. A symbol that even in another herd she would still be there.

"."

ooc://
open to anyone!

@[Thor]

image credits

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
A heavy sigh escaped me, one made of relief and discontent. The multi-colored mare had ignored my attacks and fled the battlefield… But, that did little to soothe my mounting hysteria; I had done this to her. I had robbed her of her life, of her home, and of her personal comforts. Even as I’d watched her flee, even as I’ watched- I couldn’t go on. This was sick, this was inhumane, and this was… What had become of me? I had betrayed the man I was, because this creature was not the one I remembered from years ago. Where did I expect to go from here? How could I ever proudly represent any home I claimed to be my own? I had ripped the rug from beneath their hooves, just like it had been ripped from beneath me when Tamira died. I was a fucking monster. I was a murderer. There were families here; there were mothers and children and fathers… all of which had been engaged in bloody warfare, forced to protect what was naturally theirs.

Upon entering the Falls I had expected an entirely different stage. I hadn’t expected for my brethren to greatly outnumber our “adversaries”. They weren’t enemies; they hadn’t been expecting this! Had Mirage stood before us, this wouldn’t have happened. She believed in alliances and friendship and trust! This was nothing more than greed and arrogance… a blatant display of strength that led us nowhere. In a way I was glad that Essetia was not here to witness this awful… genocide of the heart.

Though lives were not taken, they may as well have been. Their lives had been taken and uprooted before their very eyes… How cruel of us to stand their corruptors, their fucking foes. This was the life I supported. These were the leaders I chose to honor, but no more would I accept their rule. They directed me toward corruption…

How did I escape it?

How did I erase this from my memory?

As I looked around at the bloodied soldiers, at the wounded members of the Falls… I couldn’t help but feel utterly helpless. Time had slowed considerably and I found that I could no longer move- not because I’d been injured in any way, but because I couldn’t imagine that I had helped in this horrific event. If I were to have yet another child, what would I tell them before they closed their eyes to sleep against the rushing of the waterfalls instead of the lapping of the sea? This was not the land I called home and it never would be… Why had I ever thought that I could exist silently in this bitter world- in this bloodied future?

This was not the World’s Edge and I had pledged my allegiance to the mists and the sea and the Moon.

Come what may, I would return to the only place that had comforted me since I’d come to find myself after so much turmoil.

When my thoughts had finally overwhelmed me and caused a single tear to brim across my bottom lid, I turned my face toward the sky in hopes of finding resolve, but all I found was… Tallis? Of course! Evangeline… I needed to find her and I needed to comfort her in her time of need. I needed to make sure she was okay. After all, she had finally admitted her loyalty to me and it was time that I proved my own diligence to her as well.

Though I had no taken damage in the battle itself, I was still worried that Eva would believe I was buried beneath the gales and the glades- left for dead. She was the love of my life, the love of my new life, and the perfect reminder of where I’d come from. She was everything to me and everything that I’d been looking for. It was time to ignore my fears about the future in order to nurture the needs of my present….

Tallis still loomed above, squawking and shrieking for my attention so that I might follow and I did. I worried that Evangeline had been targeted from the borders, despite her many encouraging sentiments. If Tallis was searching for me… did that mean that Eva was hurt? Did that mean that I was searching for more blood?

I ran.

Though I was not the quickest of breeds, I ran as fast as my wide hooves would carry me… I would find her and I would comfort her for all that she’d done for me, because I knew. I knew that she would have to follow me into yet another war if this one had not taken her from me, and one less riddled in blood and battle.

This one was quite different, you see, and quite personal. I needed to reclaim what was once mine.

When the glimmer of orange dusted the horizon, I stretched into a headlong gallop- one not natural to my gait or size. It was like trying to hammer aginst concrete pillars meant for stability… Yet, once I’d reached her, I couldn’t refrain from crashing into the heat of her. I’d longed for her, sought her out, and now she was finally mine… I would bring her again to the glory she deserved.

Eva,” I breathed.

She would again be safe…. in the World’s Edge.
THOR
image credits

@[Evangeline]

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Outcast
Thor && Evangeline

Evangeline felt grossly out of place and completely wrong standing where she was, in the Falls' territory as she waited for Tallis to find Thor. She watched the families as the left, her heart breaking for the foals that ran looking for their parents among the chaos. The battered bodies, tear stained faces, and panicked voices were like a shot to the gut and only furthered her resolve that she could not stay there. She wondered if Thor would feel the same way or if he would insist on staying since he had gone to battle to claim the Falls. If that were the case would she be willing to sacrifice her beliefs just to stay by his side? Her eyes fell shut and she sighed and she tried not to think of all the 'what ifs' that came along with such violence.

'Found him.' Tallis' voice made her emerald eyes snap open and she lifted her head to search for Thor. 'Coming now.'

She heard the thundering of his hooves long before she saw his body come into view and it made her shift nervously. A flash of orange in the sky caught her eye and seconds later she could see Thor barreling toward her. "Thor!" She called out to him. Unable to remain standing where she was she cantered toward him, her heart thundering in her chest and butterflies fluttering in her stomach like she was a filly again falling in love for the first time. She slowed as they came closer together and when he finally stopped she pressed her face into his neck. "I was so scared." She murmured against his skin. "Tallis couldn't find you at first, and I thought you were hurt...." She shifted so she could look at his face, into his eyes, but she could not hold his gaze. She had to blink to force back the tears of relief that had come so suddenly.

Was it selfish of her to be relieved that Thor was uninjured when so many others were?

Soft chirps and trills sounded from beneath the thickness of her mane, but they soon escalated into full blown squawks as Sabine made her presence known. Evangeline had forgotten that she'd found the small bird at the border of the Edge. She had known right away that it was Thor's companion and Tallis had scooped the young zephyr and placed it in her mane. Despite the current situation she found herself in, Evangeline laughed softly and moved closer to Thor so that Sabine could crawl onto her bonded. "I found her and didn't want to leave her behind." Eva explained as she stepped back once Sabine was safely with Thor.

The lightheartedness and humor of the moment was short lasting as the heaviness of the battle that had transpired came crashing down again. Evangeline sobered as she looked from Thor to the battle weary soldiers and civilians. "Look at them." She whispered. "This isn't right. None of it is right." Again, she could feel her heart breaking for them and, again, she wondered if the ousted Falls herd would retaliate; if it would mark the beginning of a long period of violence that would end with death and destruction, leaving them all with nothing but bloodied ground to call their own. Even then was it really their's to claim when the only reason they were even living there was because the Gods allowed them to?

"Did you fight?" She asked, though she truly didn't want to know the answer, but he looked unharmed. Had he refused once he'd gotten there? "Why? What reason did we have for doing this?"

"."

"."

ooc://
@[Thor]

image credits

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

Alysanne left Resplendence to her healing, rather than get in an argument with her it was easier to leave. She had felt hurt by the belief of her friend that if Resplendence had not been here than who would heal them? As if Alysanne did not also have the same knowledge, the same magic? It was insulting to be dismissed so readily by someone that had been her peer just moments before and she would not stand by and watch as the little mare refused her offer of help, as she moved to heal everyone that showed up. Because she was the only one that could heal them, right?

Her skin crawled, she hated thinking like this - hated the negativity that was pouring through her. She did not understand how to deal with the anger, with the hate, that was suddenly flaring up. Did everyone have these emotions regularly? How did they know how to handle them?

Hemlock remained on his perch atop her head, staying silent but trying to send reassuring thoughts toward her. She knew that in a day or several, she would feel wretched for the way that she was thinking about her friends but for now she still did not care - she was still angry. And she needed to get away from the battlefield, she wanted to leave the Falls and go back home. Why did it matter that the Moon Goddess was in the Edge? She hadn’t bothered them yet. It didn’t make sense for her to go after the herd that was devoted to her.

Her heart and her head felt restless when she was passing through the battlefield and found Evangeline and Thor. Her first instinct was to go toward them but she hesitated, not wanting to speak to anyone else from the invading group right now. She had appreciated Thor’s words when she had stalled at the sight of the fighting, he had given her the courage to move forward. Not that she had enjoyed unfreezing from that spot because everything had gotten so much worse from that moment onward. Perhaps it was because she did not know either of them very well but thought fondly of the few memories that she did have that she drifted toward them, “Evangeline, Thor.” She greeted them both, not even able to muster the ghost of a smile. “Are you guys alright? Resplendence is healing over there if you need it,” With no shortage of bitterness, Alysanne gestured to the group that she had come from further back.

Green eyes then looked longingly ahead, toward the entrance of the Falls that they had come through. She wanted to leave so much but she wouldn’t leave just yet, maybe she should not give up so readily on those that she had once shared her home with. Her anger was ebbing, giving way to sadness, and it was with a broken heart she looked to the pair again - unsure of what words had been spoken before she arrived but adding more of her own. “I can’t believe we did this.”
Alysanne</style>
I lit a flame in my heart to guide you home.</style>

image credits
table by boom <3
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

It felt as though I’d been years without Evangeline, though I knew it was nothing more than the adrenaline that battle provided and the anxiety that followed. Her voice alone produced a cold sweat that chilled my heated flesh and soothed my rampant thoughts. Never before had I encountered someone with so much pull- a pull to be near her, to please her, and to protect her. She was one of the first things I awoke to and the last thing I thought about before sleep… Of course, Sabine always found a way to interject my love-struck musings and with good cause; she would always be my leading lady.

When at last I was able to reach out and embrace the chestnut mare that I had come to know as my best friend, my best love, and my better half, I heaved a great sigh. There was nothing like finding her against the fading light of war, knowing that she was safe from harm’s clenched fist… No matter the chaos that surrounded us, all was right in our world. “You wouldn’t find a creature on this planet strong enough to keep me from you,” I smiled against her neck. I had found myself pressed against her, reveling in her sweet scent and the everlasting mercy of the Gods that she was unharmed. “I was more worried that you had found yourself dragged into the fray. I never would have been able to forgive myself for that… and I’m still struggling to come to terms with this,” I said while gesturing toward the injured natives. Of course, no one had been spared from bloody war and that was something unforgivable in my eyes.

I had never been a violent man and would never find myself as such… that was just who I was. I believed in peace and equality- was that really something so unspeakable? While I busied myself with haphazard thoughts of the future, I was forced to step away from Eva’s shoulder, still a bit taken aback by her need to face me after so much turmoil. I only wanted to bury myself against her mane and drown out the silent moans of war that surfaced from friend and foe alike. I abhorred what I’d participated in… I didn’t believe it fair or just. However, I was even more offended by the turn of events when I found the tears welling up against the green of Eva’s beautiful eyes. I hated that she worried for me when I was not the one she should be worrying about… I would always find a way back to her side, ‘til death do us part.

It wasn’t until I had come to face her that the incessant squawking began… and I instantly knew from whom it originated. I gasped in fear, shocked that Sabine had somehow made it into the Falls. However, Evangeline was quick to replace the distance between us so that the young bird could climb again into my mane, seeking the comfort and security that thrived between us because of our bond. For a moment I felt nothing, but when the desperate clawing and biting and muted shrills were again pressed against my neck, I smiled. Never before had I been so happy to endure the obnoxious little zephyr in her attempts to be near me… I loved her much more than any spoken word could express. “Thank you,” I whispered to Eva, almost hesitant to raise my voice in fear that I might upset Sabine now that she had finally quieted. Birds were so sensitive to their surroundings and I had learned that a quiet bird was a happy one…

When the quiet had finally reached outward, touching both Eva and I, I looked again for her emerald gaze, only to find it replaced by mortification and strife. She told of injustice and that fact that the invasion had been ill-advised, and I could only nod my approval… It certainly felt unwarranted and I felt so wrong for taking something that was not mine. It was much like stealing and yet there was nothing that either of us could do about it now. We had to move forward, because there was nowhere else to go… except home. “I don’t believe in it at much as you… but what else could we do? I was called to assist my herd and I did, no matter how right or wrong,” I stated coolly. Of course I hadn’t wanted to offend her, but what else could I do? There was no other explanation for this… and nothing to remedy it.

Before I could divulge my own truths or plans, I paused in order to nod toward Alysanne. Her approach was slow and perhaps a bit nervous or tense, but entirely warranted. I had tried my best to protect her during battle and I was glad to see that she was in good health. “I’m okay, though I can’t say the same for those of the Falls. Are you alright Aly?” I questioned tensely. It was as if the subject made me bitter and perhaps it did… I still couldn’t believe what I’d done- what we’d done. I trailed the Moon Doctor’s gaze toward the entrance of the Falls as I spoke and what I found there was freedom. I had already been planning for a few things that I would presently leave concealed, but Alysanne only encouraged me to chase what I believed to be the right path. Staying in the Hidden Falls had never been a part of my plan, even I hadn’t it known it in the past. “I know, no one deserves this,” I whispered. “I can’t stay here...

There. I’d said it. The words had finally come out… I wasn’t lying to myself, or anyone else for that matter, anymore.
THOR
image credits

@[Evangeline] @[Alysanne]

Outcast
Thor && Evangeline
“I was more worried that you had found yourself dragged into the fray. I never would have been able to forgive myself for that… and I’m still struggling to come to terms with this.”

"No." Evangeline murmured at the very idea of even being involved in the battle. Even if she had been dragged into it she wouldn't have lifted a hoof to harm anyone. She would have commanded Tallis away so he would not set fire to anyone who attacked her. She would rather be surrounded by those that wished her pain, that attacked her and hurt her than to hurt any of them. Her beliefs in peace were too strong for her to sacrifice and if she did sacrifice that then what? Who would she be? If she couldn't stand for peace no matter the odds then what would she stand for?

“I don’t believe in it at much as you… but what else could we do? I was called to assist my herd and I did, no matter how right or wrong."

"You could have said no!" Evangeline retorted, her exasperation unmistakable. "But you didn't. You said you don't believe in this and yet you sacrificed that belief because you were told to fight by warmongers. And for what? This!" She jerked her head at the beaten herd, snorting. It wasn't the time or the place for them to be arguing, but how could he asked what else he could have done? "All of this could have been avoided." She said sadly. "If they would have talked to me ... if they would have let me do my job. Why even ask me to be their Emissary if they don't use me? I could have negotiated, I could have ..." She shook her head, frowning. "But its done. My job, my title, everything I was supposed to do ... completely worthless. Pointless." They hadn't even gone to her to talk to her about any other possibilities. And if that was how it was going to be what was the point in even trying to force herself to stay in the Falls? Why try to help kings and a queen who thought so little of their advisors?

"Evangeline, Thor. Are you guys alright? Resplendence is healing over there if you need it."

"Alysanne..." Eva murmured the healer's name as she turned to look at her. There was no need for her to even ask her what she thought of the ordeal, she could sense the bitterness that rolled off of Alysanne. "I'm fine..." She turned her head away and looked at the battle weary herd. "They're the ones that need healing. If I had the healing magic I had in Isilme I would heal them all myself." But there was very little that she could do in the way of healing major wounds. The only thing she could do was point them toward a healer or give them some herbs to help for a short time.

She listened as Alysanne expressed her disbelief and as Thor said that he could not live in the Falls. "I can't, either." She said. "I will not serve or follow kings and a queen who throw diplomacy and negotiation to the way side." She turned and looked at Thor and Alysanne. "They said they wanted peace. That the World's Edge wanted peace." She shook her head and frowned. "This is not what they claimed to want. This is hypocrisy at its finest and I want no part of it."

"."

@[Thor]
@[Alysanne]
image credits

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

Instead of answering in words, Alysanne shook her head vigorously at Thor’s question - tears swimming in her green eyes that she did not wish to let fall and she knew they would as soon as she tried to answer that question. She wasn’t okay - physically, yes but the shock of seeing battle was not something she was going to dance away from. There was such a flurry of negative emotions in her heart that she wasn’t even sure she had names for all of them, nor did she understand where one ended and another began. They all mingled together and she felt lost, swept out to sea and finding temporary relief in the guise of these two acquaintances.

She felt relief to find them unharmed, though she would have certainly helped them if they had, and they both pointed out the need for the members of the Falls. She nodded sadly, hoping that all those who wished for healing found it today. “I did what I could, helped them out during the fighting. Both sides.” She did not feel ashamed at this - her herd betrayed her long before she betrayed them by healing who they considered the opposition. Alysanne had not been able to turn away when she realized the mare Archibald had been fighting needed more help than anyone on “her” side. She only wished that she had come to her senses sooner, she might have been able to help out the members of the Falls throughout the battle

A weight lifted from her as she heard first the whisper from Thor and the stronger agreement from Evangeline. She had already been planning on leaving but their words solidified her choice, made her feel better about it. Her bitterness, anger, hurt, and sadness was not uncalled for - she saw versions of the same emotions reflected in the two she stood with now. “The herd that invaded the Falls today is not the one I joined when I came to Helovia - I’ll not stay with them either.”

Once more her attention drifted past them and toward the entrance of the Falls though she caught herself faster this time, realizing that being angry was no reason to be rude. “I was on my way out, I cannot bear to linger any more.” No farewells needed to be made, she felt the need to get back to the Edge. A rush of guilt reminded her that her family was still there, waiting to hear news on what had happened today. There would be others too, left behind to guard the herd, that would face a choice. “Would you care to join me?” An offer with a ghost of her usual smile, feeling fond of the two as they experienced mutual disappointment over the actions of their leaders.

Alysanne</style>
I lit a flame in my heart to guide you home.</style>

image credits
table by boom <3

@[Thor], @[Evangeline]
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

There were a million things I could have said that would have satisfied Evangeline and yet none of them felt right. All around us, there was destruction and there was heartache. Nothing I could ever say would stitch together the wounds that plagued our hearts… But at least it proved that we were still alive It proved that we could still fee despite the trials we’d suffered through after discovering the Moon Goddess’ treachery. If we were looking to defy her in taking over the Hidden Falls, we’d been sadly mistaken… We’d fallen wholly for her trap and become the darkness that was rumored to curse the World’s Edge. Yet, this life was what we made it and we’d decided to make it something shameful and bloody and downright foolish. Perhaps I was bitter solely because there was nothing left to believe in, or perhaps I was looking for someone else to blame, but anger solved nothing, it did nothing.

The notion itself kept me from truly hearing what Eva had to say about my participation in the battle; there wasn’t anything I could do about it now. It was over and done with and the crimes were already committed. I didn’t have to confirm the idea that a monster existed in each of us, because we already knew the truth. It just so happened that I’d succumbed to mine. However, the Pure’s frustrations stemmed not only from the invasion itself, but also from a sense of betrayal. I understood her qualms and her inability to fulfill her duty, but what good did it do to voice them to anyone other than Kaj and Kahlua? Were they not the appropriate audience? It was almost humorous that she felt the need to condemn me when I had only done what was asked of me as a patron to the World’s Edge. This futile bickering was the final nail that sealed our coffin of hope- I couldn’t tolerate it.

Evangeline… stop, there’s nothing more I can do,” I warned softly. “If you feel so wronged, then do something about it. Otherwise, it’s best if we move on. Everything that happened today will become the past… I’m ready for the future.” I needed to forget and leaving the Falls would aid in my recovery as well as Evangeline’s. I wasn’t sure what would become of the land by the sea, but I would follow whatever rule was constructed to mend the rift left behind by the ever infamous Goddess of the Moon. “I’m alright Aly… In truth, I wasn’t given the opportunity of a full fight. Perhaps it’s just as well, because our cause is so unjust,” I confessed to the attentive Moon Doctor. I was glad to see that her heart of gold was strong enough to withstand even the most gruesome of intent. What was left of the World’s Edge were but bones and the next few weeks would determine whether or not our hierarchy had made the right decision in invading the Hidden Falls.

If it was by fate or by chance, I was surprised to find that both Alysanne and Evangeline believed in returning to the Edge. It didn’t answer the many questions that were born at the mention of my home, but it was the first step in admitting that the Falls simply would not do. “I would love to join you Aly. Clearly we do not belong here,” I stated while glancing toward Eva in spite of my inability to deal with her self-righteous outburst. All things would be solved in time and I only hoped that she would remain at my side to find out. I was exhausted and my adrenaline had finally faded and there was nothing left of my resolve that supported an argument of that size. That meant that Eva would have to wait for such a conversation if she so desired. In the meantime I was ready to go home.

My head had come to hang low in a combination of shame and fatigue, and though I required no healing, my heart did sit heavy within my chest. I only hoped that the World’s Edge would one day remember her former glory, because as it stood now, I always would.

THOR
image credits

@[Evangeline] @[Alysanne]