the Rift

[PRIVATE] No Trouble

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen
A S H A M I N
on his own
Ashamin headed for the Basin once again, leaving the frozen arch and its caves of solitude behind him. There was more to see in the land Lena had shown him, of this he was sure. The sky was darker tonight than it had been when he had first arrived. The Aurora persisted still, shining dimly through the starry black cape that had spread itself across the heavens. So much for returning to the Basin before dark arrived.

In the distance, he could see the faint outlines of the Sentinels. The moonlight shone on their metal hides, creating a spectacle of them that he could see even now. He watched them, his eyes searching for something he likely wouldn't find. What was there even to look for? Maybe nothing, anymore.

The days had seemed longer as of late. He looked down the gentle slope of the hill into the Basin, but couldn't bring himself to go any farther. Instead he lay where he was, letting his body rest just for a short while. His long tail wrapped around his side and draped loosely over his back. His hooves, sharp and cleft, dug into the scraping ice. He had learned and felt a lot in his encounter with Einarr, but now he was alone once more and the darkness threatened to undo all his confidence.

What good could he do as a warrior, anyhow? And who would he fight for? What was there to fight for, pride? Bragging rights? None of those things had interested him in the past, why should they now.

But they didn't, he reminded himself. That wasn't what being a warrior, being strong, was about. It wasn't for glory, not even so much for honor, but memorial. He could do this for his father's sake, if for no one else's.

He snorted, the flakes fluttering away as he did so and catching in the slight breeze headed East towards the Basin. Perhaps the night of nature knew he belonged there, in the comfort of a herdland, but his heart tugged him out to the border. And so he lingered, somewhere between the wilds and a home, as the night wore on, unforgiving.

In between
heart and home
lies the buck
sorrowful
and always,
in darkness,
alone.

[[for @[Phantom]. Ashamin will probably join the Basin but his thread hasn't finished, so he's sort of in that place between the arch and the sentinels right now, just hanging out so as not to be trespassing in the event that his other thread ends unexpectedly.]]
(table by Tamme)

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Phantom Posts: 49
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: 10 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
ali

PHANTOM

I'm a whisper in the dark
I'm a victim and the killer
I am almost ready now, but you insist I don't exist

Time flowed ever onward since the invasion of the Falls and the Czar, Midas', death. Phantom felt no pity or remorse for the stallion who had been felled by a freak storm. He had seen the lightning, known he was wearing metal, and he still took to the sky and turned himself into a living lightning rod. In the end she felt that it was his foolhardy attempt at escape to help fight an invasion that couldn't be won by his herd that was his ultimate downfall. If he had simply accepted his defeat and waited then he would still be alive and he would still be with his family. She hadn't understood the reaction of the mare that she'd had to guard, but Phantom had never had a leader that she could say she loved as it appeared Essetia had loved her czar. She hadn't understood Ulrik's reaction, either, and thought it was foolish that he had panicked the way he had.

Snow crunched under her cloven hooves as she walked toward the sentinels. She had no true reason to be out so far so late. She wasn't patrolling the border and had no business to since she wasn't a warrior. It was her inability to fall asleep that drover her from her cave with the thought that a walk might tire her out enough that when she made it back to her home she could sleep. The farther she moved the more she began to realize that maybe, just maybe sleep wouldn't happen for her.

Phantom sighed and seconds later she heard a snort that made her stop. There was someone lurking at their border? For what reason? She frowned and strode forward, her red eyes searching for whoever it was that she had heard. The pale mare slipped past the sentinels and moments later she could see the body of a unicorn highlighted by silvery moonlight. "Who are you?" She called out, still continuing toward him. "What are you doing?"

"."
Image Credits

A S H A M I N
on his own
Ashamin had just begun to take comfort in the embrace of the cold, just started to close his eyes, when a figure appeared. She approached like a slow fog, coming in from the distance and making marks in the earth with her cleft hooves just as Ashamin had on his journey out and back from the steppe. The mare, carrying what Ashamin thought was the confidence of belonging to the land from whence she walked, stopped before the young buck.

He watched her from where he lay, his inky black eyes fluttering in a sort of disbelieving shiver. The mare was tall and uniquely marked in hues of crimson that trailed through her feathers and championed the crown of her head. Never before had he seen such horns; he had always thought that horns like his, like hers, tucked against the features and limited in their potential to cause harm, were rare. Perhaps, after being here for so short a time and now seeing them, this was not the case.

Ashamin watched the mare from his lowered position, feeling somewhat overwhelmed by her sudden questions. But Einarr had taught him some level of confidence, and he searched for it now, pulling it out from deep within his breast and letting it flow into the arctic air as gentle words. "I'm... Ashamin. Lena brought me here not long ago," he answered, somewhat hesitant. It sounded as if he was reassuring himself, as if he didn't know if it were entirely true. But still, he thought it useful to mention the mare's name, else he be misrecognized and chased from the border. "It's nice to meet you..." he added awkwardly, the comment trailing into silence. He wanted to ask her name, it seemed to make the most sense, but something inexplicable, some sort of je ne sais quoi that the mare possessed, left him uneasy.

In the end, he didn't even know if it was nice to meet her at all.

Accusations
of strangers--
identity
in demands.

What becomes
of the one
with the heart
stained in red?

[[for @[Phantom].]]
(table by Tamme)

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.

ali

PHANTOM

Phantom's expression remained impassive as the stallion claimed that Lena had brought him to the Basin not long before. "Then why are you out here and not within the borders? Were you denied a place within our herd?" The questions slipped easily from her lips and she was genuinely curious as to what his answers would be. Under the glow of the moon she could make out a horn (or what appeared to be one) though it seemed to be horribly misshapen. Could that have been a reason to deny him entry? A simple disfigurement? If so it would not surprise Phantom becuase she was confident that her father would have denied him entry into their herd. Or maybe he would have allowed the little stallion in and used him as bait for their warriors.

The possibility that Ashamin was lying crossed Phantom's mind, but how would he know Lena's name unless she greeted him and brought him there? "Are you not cold?" She asked instead. The Basin might not have been in the clutches of Frostfall just yet, but it was still cold. There was already snow on the ground (that he was laying in) and snowflakes danced in the air around them. If what he had said was the truth then he had not yet grown out a thick enough coat to be able to thrive in their environment.

"Its nice to meet you..."

"You don't sound very sure of that." The pale mare countered, an attempt at a joke that fell utterly flat. The corners of her mouth curved upward into a grin and that alone should have been enough to tell Ashamin that she was not trying to be ugly. "Phantom." She offered her name then. "I am Phantom and you will catch your death out here if you keep laying in the snow. If the cold doesn't get you then the wolves will." She snorted and flicked her long tail. "Stand up and come with me." With the command given she turned and began to walk back into the heart of the Basin.

"."

@[Ashamin]
Image Credits

A S H A M I N
on his own
As usual, Ashamin's fears were mostly unfounded. The mare before him was perhaps a little more blunt than Lena or Rexanna had been, a bit more curious and bearing less tact when pressing the issue of his purpose, but she seemed to mean him no harm. If Ashamin had ever had or known a mother, perhaps he would have recognized her fuss as maternal in its own, odd way.

But as it were he only felt nervous. Ashamin was a shy stallion, not accustomed to talking about himself so much as blending in, and the sudden interest in him was not what he had expected. He swallowed, his ears flickering back and forth, his tail twitching with uncertainty, and wondered what to say. What could he say about his entry into the herd? He wasn't even certain about that, and he feared that telling her of his wandering off, of his encounters in the surrounding lands, would only cause her to think less of him. But eventually, despite the turmoil of his thoughts, he pushed out a response.

"I grew up in a cold land," he offered softly; "this weather doesn't bother me." He offered a slight, imitative smile in response to her almost wild grin. He might have left it there, stayed in the snow as he had proven he was capable and willing to do, but her comment about the wolves left him feeling nervous. As much as he hoped to learn the ways of the fight, he didn't think now, in the dark against a starving pack, was the right time to do it.

Stumbling, he gathered himself up off the ground and followed Phantom wordlessly. He watched the Sentinels with apprehension, fearing they might attack as he approached the border, before remembering that at this mare's side he'd likely be safe. He wanted to thank her for her kindness, as he passed over that border, but he found himself taking comfort in the silence again. Perhaps she would sense his implication of gratitude on her own.

For a fear
of the wolves
and what lurks
in the snow
he follows
delighted
and silent.

[[For @[Phantom].]]
(table by Tamme)

ali

PHANTOM

If anyone had even mentioned to Phantom that her questions had come off as maternal she would have demanded an explanation. How could her questioning a compelte stranger that made himself at home on the border of her home come off as maternal? If anything it should have been considered an act of protection for the herd and she would hope that anyone would have done the same as she. Nevertheless, the boy seemed harmless and the fact that he knew Lena backed up the assumption that she had made.

"I grew up in a cold land, this weather doesn't bother me."

"Suit yourself." Came Phantom's rather terse reply as she turned and began to walk back toward her cave. She would not force him to follow her if he thought that he could weather the cold temperatures and the wolves that often prowled the borders looking for an easy meal. He, she thought, would certainly be easy pickin' for any pack that could hunt together in a coordinated fashion, especially since he had decided to lay on the ground where he was at his most vulnerable.

Her ears rotated backward as she heard the soft crunch of snow under hooves and when she glanced back she could see him stumbling after her. So he was smarter than he looked. The movement of her body as she walked caused one of the thick braids that she kept draped across her back to slide and fall to the side. It tapped against her side and swung like a pendulum, tapping against her legs in the most annoying fashion. She paused long enough to reach for the braid and toss it back over her back then looked at Ashamin again. "My cave isn't far." She said. "You can stay there until its decided whether or not you can live here. After that you will likely be instructed to find your own."

"."
Image Credits

A S H A M I N
on his own
Ashamin passed through the gate created by the sentinel's at Phantom's side and sighed with relief as the silence of the night prevailed. It was good to enter the land as a part of it, without the fear that even at its very threshold he might be cast out.

As he walked with her, Ashamin watched the mare before him. She was taller than he, and larger as well; she had a confidence in her walk that he had never been able to emulate himself. She knew where she was going when he did not, he was sure that must have helped.

And it quickly became clear that not only did Phantom know where she was going, but she had a particular place in mind. They had not been walking for very long before Ashamin arrived, at her side, at the entrance of some sort of cave. Dim drips and echoes seeped out from its entrance, creating an atmosphere of dark, unfamiliarity. Unconciously, Ashamin pressed his ears to his head and squinted, as if looking in the dark for some intimation that a cave such as this could be called a home.

Then again, for months he'd been sleeping alone, in open fields; a cave was a cave, but a cave with company was a good place to settle for the night. "Thank you," he answered her politely, his tail tracing anxious lines in the frost, his mind contemplating her comment. Look for his own? No, he didn't think he'd want to have a home such as that, if it were to be an empty one. If he must find his own place to sleep, he would rather it be a place where he was able to see that captivating sky overhead and feel the chill of the frozen breeze.

But, perhaps when Frostfall came he would catch his death or come to his senses. Only time would tell.

Ashamin watched, mildly fascinated, as Phantom righted the braid across her back. So she was particular about her appearance, then? He caught a distorted glimpse of his own reflection in a patch of ice a few feet away, on the side of the cave wall, and frowned to himself. He looked a bit of a wreck, didn't he?

The young stallion sighed softly and took a few steps closer to Phantom, putting forth his nose and offering his cheek to touch with hers, as was his customary greeting. "It is very kind of you to take in a young wanderer," he added, his eyes soft, his voice a quiet shiver, and his neck still outstretched, reaching for the possibility of her touch. She seemed generous, perhaps even caring, but he wasn't certain she'd reciprocate the gesture.

What's a cave
to a buck
of the ice
and the snow?

What use is
a shelter
while the wind
rushes, blows?

[[For @[Phantom].]]
(table by Tamme)