the Rift

[PRIVATE] Rebirth

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Torleik the Bloodskald

Well look at this...

Torleik the Bloodskald and Mauja the Frostheart, kings of the World's Edge. From what he knew, Torleik was aware his counterpart in ruling had already run this particular area of land before and it gave him some pause to consider that Mauja might be pushy because of it.

He sincerely hoped not. Just because he hadn't ruled before didn't automatically mean he lacked the aptitude.

But, to Polkadot's credit, he'd taken the entire thing in good humor and Torleik wondered if, just maybe, this would be a decent fit. Maybe not good - not at first - but decent and workable. Their first matter of business was to discuss...everything. The herd, their plans, positions within the herd, the names of them, so many details. A frown briefly crossed his face as he thought of all the minutia he would need pay attention to now and silently beseeched the Moon Goddess to help him perform his duties to her with skill and vigor.

Once he and the spotted unicorn had walked a distance enough away that their words would be private, the slightly shorter rabicano turned and leaned against a tree. "It does not escape me that you have led prior. I will let you speak first - what matters do you find most important to attend to immediately?" he inquired curiously, wondering at how Mauja's mind worked when it wasn't fixated on...other women.

@[Mauja]

[[OOC: Short little intro for their discussion thread]]

"talk talk talk"

Art by valerie911 @ DA
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo

i am the vanguard of your destruction
"You, clearly. Come, my queen. Let us discuss."

For the first time in his life, Mauja was a Queen. It had been a long shot, trying to amuse the one who had, aside from a brief meeting in the Threshold a few years ago, mostly just called him filth and acted like all he'd wanted was to curbstomp him on the spot. But either it was the beauty of politics, or that flare of anger had gone out—Torleik had responded in kind, dark lips curving into a handsome grin, and Mauja found his eyes drifting to Ophelia. He could certainly see why she hung around with him. He did look good.

But Mauja knew that the moment they shared, that dark maw reaching for her delicate ears and whispering words she would never forget, was not for him. So he looked aside, wondering when things had ended up this way, and why it didn't bother him more than it did—which is to say, hardly at all.

Instead, he looked at Kahlua, and then to the blue-and-black Pegasus mare as she made her exit. "I look forward to it," he said to her, pure instinct, something curbing his words and turning the snarl into a smile. Silently he watched her go. It was a fault of his and a remnant of the past, but Mauja ill liked the Throat.

Then Torleik was moving away from the most mysterious woman Mauja had ever known, and with a flick of his tail the white beast padded after him, wondering if this was to turn into attempted regicide, or if miracles were truly happening in Helovia right now.

"Queen Mauja," he hummed under his breath, walking a couple of paces behind the black King—and how was that, for a match? A White Queen and the Black King. He snorted to himself, staring at the hypnotic swaying of Torleik's tail as it moved with the motion of his walk. Queen Mauja. He rather liked it. It sounded.. softer, somehow. And if there was anything Mauja had ever been, it was snow-soft, never quite the ice of his arsenal but frigid all the same.

Torleik paused and propped one shoulder up against a tree; Mauja stopped, tipping one hind hoof up on its tip and tilting his head. Looked peaceful enough. Maybe it was miracles, then, and not regicide. It brought a slight smile to his face.

In his curiosity he had remained silent, waiting for the Black King to take the lead, and when he did, it was with a broad question but one that Mauja had already mulled over in the back of his mind. He always spent too much time thinking about everything, anyway. "The herd," he said after only a slight pause. "The majority of them probably went to the Falls, but we'll need to figure out who we have, and who they are.. and I don't trust Helovia one bit—if it's not one of the other herds, it'll be a band of wolves eager to take us. While not a matter for right now, recruiting needs to be one of our priorities. We need numbers to discourage them to strike us while we're still.. weak," and he grimaced at the word, because it wasn't the word he wanted, but the only one he could find. He cocked his head again, pale eyes peering at Torleik. "That, and, uh, if we want to.. lay down any rules aside from 'don't be an ass, use common sense' ... What do you find the most important, right now?"

They were, after all, supposed to be the two faces of a single coin—and not the same side. Besides, aside from the fact that Torleik seemed incredibly territorial about a certain mare, Mauja knew nothing of him.

Unless that regicide thing was still going to happen.. he was surprised to find that he somewhat looked forward to figure out who this black king was, and what lay behind his so eerily similar eyes.

[ @[Torleik] ]
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Torleik the Bloodskald

Let us begin

The Bloodskald glanced back when he heard Mauja murmur his new title under his breath. In truth, it wasn't very suiting for such a large stallion, but in the ways that he seemed to carry himself so delicately sometimes...Torleik found it fitting in some aspects. Regardless of the humor, they were both kings now and should act as such. Thus it was that the dark stallion had no inkling of the white's wondering as to whether or not this would become regicide.

Torleik had no desire to kill him - not now, at least. Perhaps in the past, when the emotions were fresh and the wounds raw, but not now. Besides, that would be foolish. He could not run a herd by himself. So he paused, got comfortable, and posed a question to his counterpart.

The answer did not surprise him.

When the query was returned to him, he mulled over his options for a time before answering. "I wish to rebuild the wall," he stated firmly. "I believe that while the herd is new, having a task to unify us will be helpful. Something to focus on. A place to divert potentially restless energy. Others may see this as a sign of building up strength, and I believe that is important - but," Torleik emphasized, shifting off of the tree and standing now, the ground re-freezing beneath his newly moved hooves. "I also want the other herds to know that we bear them no ill will as a newly forged kingdom, if you will. I want them to know that the wall not only serves to keep those that would harm out, but those that would be harmed safe within, and that if they are our allies, we offer them our protection. Such thoughts are more long-term, but my reasoning is as such."

Taking to pacing leisurely, the Bloodskald glanced up at the trees. "For right now I agree that the herd is the top priority. We need to assess who we have left and give them positions of some kind. Give them purpose. When they have purpose, we can focus on swelling our numbers. As for rules...I suppose that depends on what kind of rules you mean. Are we talking 'you cannot murder your fellow citizen in cold blood'? I would tell others to use common sense but I've typically found them suffering a severe dearth of it, to be honest," he replied. "I say we start with rules about our ranks. We will have positions for general, head thief, head doctor, head crafter, and others. I would propose that our herd has two heads of each position, if we can manage it. That way if one is killed, missing, or sent away, the herd at home will not suffer for it. Do you think that is feasible?"

He awaited Mauja's response with patience and focused attention.

@[Mauja]

"talk talk talk"

Art by valerie911 @ DA

No man is an island.

Ascended Helovian

"I wish to rebuild the wall," the Black King said after a moment's pause, and Mauja's wandering eyes glazed over as he stared vacantly off in another direction. Rebuild.. the wall? With every word falling from those dark lips Mauja's snowy neck grew stiffer, and when finally the rabicano was done and moving on to the herd his head had turned all the way back. He wasn't sure what was written in his own eyes—if there was more than just ice. Incredulity, surprise, shock even.. that anyone would want to keep such a heathen monument, and worse, rebuild it—it was beyond him. The wall Kahlua had been so proud of was nothing to cherish, to treasure; it was a trap, a curse, defying unity with its dividing existence just like the Throat's fucking islandification.

Maybe times were changing in Helovia.

But that didn't mean Mauja had to help it along.

"I don't agree with rebuilding the wall," he said stiffly, realizing this was the goddamned problem with shared power: opinions were bound to clash, and who was in the right? How would a compromise look? Was bashing your co-ruler into a quasi-permanent bruise a legit way to solve the issue? "It's a remnant of Mirage's narrowmindedness, a symbol of division—they, the pure, high and mighty, guarding against the us, the outcast unicorn legion of the north. To me, it is not strength—it is cowardice. It..." He held his breath for a second, but then let the words roll off his tongue along with his surprise. "It is not something I wish to stand for.

"While I agree that it has some defensive qualities, I believe it could easily be our death. This forest has a history as being highly flammable. Gates would cause a choke-point for escape, potentially costing us lives. It is useless against flying enemies. It.."
But he paused there, and drew a deep breath, before looking at Torleik with a pained look. "I've made my case, I don't need to chew your ears off as well, unless you want me to go on." And then he shook his head with a tired sigh, running back his memory lane to what Torleik had said after the shocking revelation that he wanted to live behind a wall. Uhh.. rules. Ranks. Ranks, right. Two for the head of each "class", so to speak.

When Mauja had run the Edge, it had been smaller—there had been no need for two. But.. Helovia had grown, and Torleik's reasoning was flawless. "Two of each head," he said, a half-whisper. "Sounds fair. You mentioned 'others'—what 'other' jobs did you think of?"

[ @[Torleik] ]

Torleik the Bloodskald

And so it begins

The response he received was swift and contrary, and the way his black ears pinned flat against his skull was a clear indicator of how he felt about Mauja's small monologue. But feelings were not the point, here. Were they? It seemed the pale king considered it so, and Torleik disagreed with this approach. "I see. Should I become accustomed to you making decisions on past prejudices?" he queried sharply, the glare in his eyes as hard-edged as his tone. "I know nothing of this Mirage of whom you speak, and the wall means nothing to me but a tool to be used." Muscular shoulders shrugged, and his ears did not lift from his skull. "But have it as you desire. I will concede to your wish to remove the wall - but I will not live amongst a herd that has no defenses at its boundaries. Unlike the Basin, we are wide open here. I will not stand for it. No wall - but I want pikes. We can build them so that those inside can easily jump over should the need for escape be dire, while still making them a deterrent to those on the ground. I do not require gates, if you are so opposed. We could have guards, or perhaps I could convince my cousin to make us a sentinel or two like in the Basin," the former general suggested.

It seemed Polkadot was not so opposed to his suggestion about the ranks, and Torleik's ears finally began to right themselves once more. The beast had some sense, it seemed. "'Others' as in sub-ranks, I suppose. You say a wall would not protect against flying enemies - nothing but air defense would. I propose we have a regiment of pegasi warriors, a sky legion, for just such a purpose. Air patrols, air defense, first responders to events such as these fires you mention, sudden attacks, or dire emergencies within or near our boundaries." The black king thought for some time more. "I wish to have an emissary class. Those whose main purpose is to carry messages to and from other herds or groups. I want them to be trusted symbols from our herd, above reproach. We may make enemies come the future, but I will not have it said that we did not extend diplomacy first. I may be our military lead, but the impact of well-placed words can do more than an entire battle," the rabicano said with a flick of his tail. "And whatever you may think of the Moon Goddess, I would have those that are willing do their part to help our herd keep her pleased with our presence. I am aware this may be a foolish notion, and perhaps no amount of worship will matter, but I would be remiss as a leader if I did not try everything in my power to keep our herd in good health and good standing with the mortals and the goddess of our land. That is...all I have for now. I am sure, given some time, I could come up with more detailed ideas." The Bloodskald quieted, gazing at his co-ruler, wondering if Mauja would put up a fight about anything he'd said...and strangely, he found himself wondering the motives behind such fight.

This Mirage...who was she? Why did Mauja hate her? Why was the wall a symbol of her narrow minded views? To keep out the northern herds? This seemed to date back to when the Edge and the Basin came to blows...and Torleik's memory flashed to Lace, the one with the dragon who had acted far too aggressively towards Irelyn while her stallion bondmate acted far too aggressively towards the Bloodskald. The taste in his mouth was somewhat sour, and he offered one more morsel. "I remember when I first witnessed this wall. I was still new to this place, new to being general in the Basin...and new to being bonded to Irelyn. I was exploring, learning and found the wall fascinating. A unicorn came barreling out, hurling abuse at me and my bonded for...simply being who I was. It confused me, angered me, and I have never forgotten that as my first impression of the Edge. Two were kind to me. Kaj, and Evangeline. Two showed me respect. I may hail from the Basin, and I confess to you I have my deep rooted reasons to despise pegasi, but this herd will not be one that turns any being away simply for what they do or do not have on their head or their back. The measure of a man is in his words and deeds, not his body."

@[Mauja]

[[OOC: I said I'd be slow but omg using this to procrastinate studying is apparently my jam, currently. >.>]]

"talk talk talk"

Art by valerie911 @ DA

No man is an island.

Ascended Helovian

He was already disliking joint leadership.

Mauja, when he had had time to prepare, could be subtle. Could be convincing. Could be tactful. But when things were thrown in his face like this, he was about as subtle as an earthquake, and the ice-guards on his tongue couldn't quite catch all the emotion bleeding through his words. Still, there were things to be said for blunt honesty, and he figured that, in the long run, his honesty would be better than his lies.

"I see. Should I become accustomed to you making decisions on past prejudices?" It was sharp, a whip-lash, thin and needling and I didn't deserve that his mind growled; he deserved to be questioned and analyzed, not.. accused. Momentarily his ears pinned back too, but he didn't interrupt. And then something incredible dawned on him: Torleik and Ulrik were related.

But how could that scrawny, taciturn Engineer be related to this snow-bellied hulk?

It didn't matter. Nothing mattered. The feeling of satisfaction was subsiding, and in its wake came despair; wave after wave of worthless and useless rolled in to the shore of his soul, slowly drowning him as he listened to the black king speak with soft passion about the defense and structuring of their new home.

But even as he fell silent, Mauja did not speak. He merely gazed out between the trees, the sharpness of his pale gaze having faded into something soft, and almost sad; back at the gathering of horses, Diego and Irma shifted upon their perches, feathers whispering with their faint movements. Only when Torleik spoke again, this time of the wall, did Mauja's head turn back, peering at him from behind his long forelock.

That's what walls do to you, he wanted to say. That's what they do to your heart.

"I used to despise those who were not unicorns," he said after a moment. The words felt odd in his mouth. "It was something I took with me from my upbringing, and my early years before Helovia." It's marvelous, how easy it is to shape the mind of a young individual even without meaning to. None of them had said that the few born hornless, or with too useless horn arrangements, were worth less; but everyone knew it. The horns were the only effective weapons they had against the Magnar. Without horns, you could not fight. Without horns, you could not defend your home.

They usually went on to become medics. They had a place, but they were quieter, more mellow...

There's so much I ought to tell him.

"When I first came to Helovia, the Moon chose me as King of this place. I did not believe in equality, but it was nothing I said out loud. I offered the Edge as a safe haven for unicorns, and we lived here peacefully." He still couldn't betray the Plague. He didn't know if the sect was still active—but he still couldn't damn them. "That summer, the Sun God was on a rampage, in a terrible rage because Kri and her Pegasus band had thrown down the Order of the Sun. None was spared his wrath. When the Moon came down, here at the Edge, to let me know of this, another was present: a black, nondescript mare. Her name was Mirage, and I've later learned she led a group known as the Qian, and they were moon-worshipers. Despite her lack of a horn, I offered her and hers sanctuary in the Edge. She did not take me up on it.

"Later, your cousin called me out on my decision. Anyway—when the autumn came, Mirage came again, this time with an army. Kri forsook her word of mutual disinterest, and backed Mirage. Paladin came with soldiers from the Foothills. Nearly all of Helovia, united against us—and for what reason?

"Because we lived only with our own kind."
He snorted.

"Mirage gave me an ultimatum, to share the Edge with them or have it taken from us. Even if I had not promised Ulrik that we would not share, it bothered me that she showed up on my doorstep with an army and then made up my mind for me, demanding the very thing I had offered her before but she had declined. We fought, but in the end, we lost."

No wall could've saved us. "And then they built the wall." What was his point, even? "And you've met that wall, and what it does to people." He was silent for just a second. "In the heart of my homeland was a fortress-like mountain, and whoever was in control of it was regarded as in control of the land itself. For many, many generations the unicorns held it, while our scattered enemy regrouped, adapted, and advanced. After I left, things got worse, and when I returned.. that fortress looked to be a very promising grave for my people. And it was the same thing: there was the us, and there was the them. And the solution was to eradicate that divide .. after quite a vicious battle.

"I'm not going to lie to you, Torleik. I'm not a diplomat. I'm a warrior—a sword to be wielded. I have no idea what I am doing here, as supposedly the diplomatic lead, but I'm going to try. I'm going to do my best to learn. But I have been on both sides of that wall, and both sides suck.

"But you are right, we should not go defenseless. Spikes are a good idea. When I ruled here before, we had constant border patrols—they worked well enough. Air-bound patrols would be more efficient, as they cover ground more quickly, but on the other hand, they would not be able to detect scent trails where the border has been breached."
And that doubt came crashing back in: had his history lesson been pointless? Had it been objective enough? Had Torleik learned anything from it? Had there even been anything to learn? "So a mixture would be ideal, I think. And.. this terrain offers some natural defense. We have uneven ground, we have many trees, and fog; we ought to practice both guerilla type movements, and large-scale army movements. This is our land, and we should learn to use that to our advantage if someone decides to pay us a violent visit." He tilted his head again. "We ought to have three Generals, actually. One for our ground units, one for the sky legion, and one, winged, that knows both roles. And.. I might not be fond of the Moon Goddess—" look how good he was, not calling her a bitch to Torleik's face "—but having Acolytes dedicated to her is a good idea." And, he pretty much strangled himself saying good idea instead of not a bad one. Oh, the woes of partnership.

"Oh, and, that arrogant little dipshit—Cathun? He said some nasty things and left. While he did have a point, his attitude makes me think we'll have to be wary of him in the future." That's what Mauja liked about leaving his owls in strategic places. They relayed important information to him.

They also reminded him he needed to remember to ask who Irelyn was. Mauja wasn't sure he remembered ever having seen Torleik's companion...

[ @[Torleik] -- bahaha. xP ]

Torleik the Bloodskald

A history lesson

The Black King listened to his White Queen (that Mauja had accepted the queen role so readily would not cease to amuse him) attentively. If they were to rule together they needed to know each other. Honestly know each other. Torleik had very little to hide, so this wouldn't - shouldn't - be a problem. Mauja wove a tale of racism that the Bloodskald had become accustomed to hearing in the Basin, and as he laid out the history of the World's Edge it suddenly became clear how it tied to the beautiful and snowy aurora-blessed land.

The Aurora Basin used to be the World's Edge. Glacial eyes narrowed as he told of Mirage, of her incomprehensible politics and machinations, of how this Kri, who had claimed neutrality, suddenly turned and sided with the enemy. The Quian. Hadn't he heard of that before? Someone had mentioned it along the line. And this Mirage...hadn't one of the candidates for lead claimed bloodline with her? Or was his memory of the whirlwind events already failing him. Amaris, perhaps? He would ask Ophelia later; Phi would remember with flawless clarity.

But Mirage. She had rejected the offer of cohabitation, then invaded on the pretense of forced sharing or being conquered, then put up a damn wall? How in any way was that in line with the beliefs she had preached? The hypocrisy was bitter. "This Mirage. I don't much care for her blatant hypocrisy," was his grunted reply. "I see your point against the wall, and I respect it. No wall."

But that was not all he felt compelled to respond to. "There will always be an us and a them - that is the nature of the world. It cannot be eradicated, the idea of separating for whatever reason; the power that comes from placing one group above another is too tempting to resist," he stated quietly. "Even benevolent power makes a distinction." His words were not judgemental, merely observational on the state of the world and how it worked. Polkadot claimed he wasn't a diplomat and Torleik's expression was bemused. "So naturally you become one. I am no diplomat either, but I try my best. I would rather trade words than blows, but I am used to trading blows," the Bloodskald sighed. "Between the two of us I am sure we will figure out some system that works."

The white one spoke of guerrilla warfare, patrols and spikes and Torleik eased. This, he knew. "Agreed. I will have Irelyn help me learn the fog patterns so that we might use them to our advantage. The spikes...perhaps we place them closer in than the borders themselves? If you are not opposed, maybe it would be a good sign to leave the glass wall crumbled where it lay, marking the true borders and letting any who see know that we have torn down the old ways of the old oppressors and do not stand for their same values? A thought to consider," he offered. "If the spikes were placed further in they'd be a surprise, I think. As for patrols, most certainly. Both air and land are necessary. Is there a certain point along our borders that we would wish to designate as the desired entrance? We could place banners there. Not threatening, but still a declaration of our land." A shrug accompanied this suggestion.

Three generals? Torleik considered this. "Three forungar? I like the idea but we will have to see how it works in execution. I say we try it." Realizing he had referred to them as his people would have brought another issue to his attention. "Forungar - generals. I am used to...other terms for these ranks and sometimes I find the titles here very foreign and bland. What say you to perhaps making our ranks within the herd more...unique? I wish others to know when someone is of the World's Edge. Making it clear who herd members represent usually works to keep those herd members in line when they know they reflect back on a larger whole that will not look kindly upon their misbehavior. At least it did in my home," offered the rabicano. "Acolytes...may help retain the Moon Goddess' favor - but the gods are fickle, and only time will tell."

Black ears snaked back against his head once more at the mention of Cathun. "I told the little shit that his actions have consequences and he'd best not think his petulant display meant nothing. But he is a fool and I doubt he will listen at all," the Bloodskald grunted with a violent swish of his tail. "I plan to go to the other herds as an act of diplomacy, reaching out and making contact. I will take care with the Dragon's Throat. Their members tend to be...aggressive, at best. I need visit the Basin anyhow, to do right by my first home here and tell them I will not be their general any longer." And see Phi one more time, for now...

Torleik glanced up at the sky, then settled his gaze back on Mauja. "Now. Herd rules..."

"talk talk talk"

[[OOC: Ssooo, I think that's good for IC chatting? I'm good with fading off here and just implementing the rest of the stuff we've discussed and just saying they finished talking about it all IC without detailing it all out.]]

@[Mauja]
Art by valerie911 @ DA

No man is an island.