the Rift

[OPEN] Home is where the...the...oh hell, nevermind

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
I hold you in like a deep breath

Torleik glanced at the livewire traveling with them when she snapped, asking him what the fuck he'd said. Such language, from such a tiny body. Shameful, really - but then again, Ophelia had dropped several hints she hadn't been an exceptional mother to this demi-god. Who would be, to a product of rape? At first, at least. Torleik's chest ached as his thoughts wandered to the twins birthed by Brisa and how he'd been ready to try his hardest to be a good father...

The feeling was like nothing else in the world, that fear and crushing hope all at once, that maybe you can atone for your sins and make this new life a better one than yours. That had been ripped from him in a manner he could only assume Ophelia had some intimate knowledge of. But in the end, at least the child had been hers.

He'd just been duped. Like a fucking fool. That was worth language over.

Though to be honest, if Roskuld kept up this immature, idiotic act, Torleik had a mind to bring down her world by letting her know that he was aware of exactly who she was. But she seemed to settle down a little and said thank you, so the Bloodskald set aside his weapon of knowledge for now. The trip to the Basin didn't take long at all, and as they passed through the Sentinels, he wondered if Roskuld felt any special connection to this place, given it was her father's chosen herdland. And so the thoughts began rattling around his head. Why did the God of Time want her here? To see Ophelia? Or had his order come before Phi was named Lady of the Basin? (That blatant display of favoritism still clawed at his breast with a sticky, hot, jealous hate.)

Was it simply because it was his herland and his daughter should know it? Be in it?

No answers, he knew, would be very forthcoming from this compact ball of impotent rage. For the time being, Torleik let it go.

"Welcome to the Basin."

@[Roskuld]
@[Ulrik]

"talk talk talk"

OOC: Sorry this took ages

Art by: veradaine @ DA
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers

No, seriously. Shapes was freaking me out.

There was just this…silence between us as our group made our way through the snowploughs and whatever, but it wasn’t just silence. Like there were things charging around, a tension so thick you could slice the fucker into loaves. And I still didn’t like the way he had looked at me: a quick glance of blue all over me, like he was sizing me, feeling me out.

For what?

I couldn’t shake the feeling that something was gonna go down when we reached the end of the pass. Like I was walking straight into a trap, smooth as you please, and he was just itchin’ to get at me, sink his teeth in, whatever. But that didn’t make any sense, because he could’ve done that with Ulrik back at the place, right? What was the point of taking me somewhere else just to jump me?

I mean, fuck. If he wanted to fight, we could’ve already been fighting!

Just…aagh, something wasn’t feeling right. I fidgeted the entire way there, my eyes darting everywhere and my skin jumping and my movements stiff and jerky. Several times the impulsion to turn the fuck around and leave set itself on my legs, and every time it did I mastered it, and everytime I mastered it I wondered if it were the right thing to do. At least...the wind was gone, broken by the high walls of mountain that stretched on either side. Without the blistering chill whipping me incessantly, the cold wasn’t even that bad--in fact, I barely registered it anymore, since there was more pressing shit on my mind at that time.

Finally, we came upon an opening that seemed to be shrouded in shadow. But we got closer and as my blurry vision settled, it turned out not to be a shadow, but a thing. A huge, metal, horse-shaped thing that towered above us--a sentinel that smelled like it was soaked in oil and electricity. “Whoa…” I said, the breathless wonder escaping me before I could stop it; I slowed my steps, completely entranced by the shit, because I’m pretty sure it was the absolute most baller thing I’d ever laid eyes on. Like...my whole body just pulled a little looking at it, and I was in awe, and I wanted to touch it but something in me knew that was a stupid idea, but fuck me check out this rad shit, man. Just…look at the shit. Who even has shit like this? What even.

It took me a while to finally wrench my head and my eyes away from the sentinel; even when I kept walking forward, my neck still stretched and twisted to allow my eyes to stay glued to the incredible sight. But eventually, I had to look at the valley that spread out before us.

And when I did, I….I just looked.

I didn’t know what to feel. Something stole over me, something like peace or interest or pleasant surprise, because I guess I had expected something colder and snowy...er, but this was everything else. This was...someone’s home, something warm and cozy and protected and sheltered from everything else by the mountains that rose around it.

I licked my lips absently; I forgot Shapes for a moment. I was looking down at my Pa’s land.

talk

Like stars burning holes right through the dark
Flicking fire like saltwater into my eyes</style>

Please tag ROSKULD in every reply!
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme
Ophelia the Forsaken

Ophelia's hooves paced along the crystalline edge of the unfrozen lake, breath puffing quietly with her steps. She gazed out at the Aurora Basin, mind full to the brim with thoughts and questions. Why had they tried to steal? What did the Falls have in mind? Why was Midas being so irksome? Where was Torleik? She walked like a woman possessed, tail bouncing behind her hocks and head bobbing angrily. Once lost within the trance of her memories, crawling her way back out was not easy, and she was losing the battle with her sanity rather swiftly.

"What did he mean when he said he served the moon goddess?" she whispered to herself, disappearing into the swirling snow and white clouds with Torleik puffing calmly in the distance. Those clear, blue eyes haunted her memories, holding far too much life to exist only in her head. "Had she given you those marks for a reason? Are you deceiving me?" Ophelia felt her heart sink. The moon goddess had been at the root of all the death, and Torleik served her... Had he served her then?

Tinek frowned from the rock where he perched, trying to gentle pull her from the obsessive thoughts. "He's good... you know that..." the dragon offered in her head, trying to be a voice of reason in the sinkhole of her memories.

"Who can I trust, Tinek? Can I trust him? Can I trust anyone?" she asked, voice breathy in her own mind, pace not slowing with her steady march.

"You can trust me. You can trust those who care about you. Just because you were betrayed a few times does not mean everything out to get you."

Ophelia blinked, jerking to a halt and looking over at the silver scaled beast. She sighed, nodding, trying to clear her mind. "They are getting harder to ignore..." she whispered, feeling her sanity falling away. The pale princess frowned and departed from her well worn path, striding toward the entrance to their land so that she could clear her head in the pristine mountains. Past and present collided with the shudder of thunder as she saw Torleik and Ulrik leader her daughter past the sentinel, the second metal beast still a frame.

Bitter, sad eyes swept over the form of her daughter, the single girl holding so many memories. Part of her heart leaped forward, wanting nothing more than to wrap her up in an embrace and whisper words of 'I love you' in her ear. The other part wanted her to leave so that all she had left of the usage of her body for the Time God's wants was just her memories. She was torn, cracking in two but still holding a pleasant smile on her gray lips. Ophelia moved toward them, her hooves skating across the ground.

"Roskuld," she murmured, affection impossible to keep from her tone - even if she had wanted to. "Welcome to the Aurora Basin." Ophelia's eyes lifted to Torleik's, those blue orbs just as luminous and arcane as she remembered, and s he felt her breath catch in her chest. For a second too long she stared into his face, eyes dancing over his black horns etched with the moon god's promise. "Torleik," she said, his name harder to say than she had "This is my daughter, Roskuld." The stallion knew of Roskuld. She had shared her fears with him once, explaining her existence.

@[Torleik]
@[Roskuld]

There is no ship to bear me hence...
Credits: Whit's tables were an inspiration | Image by Roni

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

I almost fell in love with the place. I almost fell in love with the valleys and the mountains that lined it and the gleam of a spring over yonder there in the shade and the trees and the caves that I didn’t even know about the idea would have been ill as fuck if someone had told me about it. I would have fallen in love, too, what with the bitchin sentinel behind me and the crispness of the air and the aurora I didn’t even know about at that point but regularly ribbons up in the sky in this place, nothing but light and agonizing somethings that I couldn’t stand.

I almost fell in love.

Almost.

*”Roskuld."*

But everything just dropped.

My eyes focused on someone pale and graceful winding their way toward me, welcoming me to this place, and who could it be but my own Ma?

My Ma who I’d been so afraid of losing.

The Ma I hadn’t spoken to, who hadn’t spoken with me in the midst of all these murders.

Suddenly here she was, in my face--living in a place that I’d just now found, welcoming me in these halls after having lost myself in a blizzard and a frozen desert. Here she was, residing in the land of my Pa, my Pa’s place, his domain.

A place she never once told me about.

I…I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t know what to feel. I didn’t know what I was feeling, because I was feeling something, but it was so jumbled. Maybe it was the shock of seeing her that was making my mouth drop, my eyes widen, my voice die in my throat; maybe it was because of the fact that what I was feeling wasn’t happiness at the unexpected sight of my Ma that made my reaction so empty, so trippy and confusing that I couldn’t get a handle on it.

I was flailing inside, even though I stood frozen, staring at Ma like she was a ghost, a poltergeist trying to trick me into doing some dumb shit. It wasn’t until her eyes left me—to look behind me, to look at Shapes, and I saw something stirring there behind her gaze, something I didn’t understand but hated to see anyway--that something finally broke through the constipation in my head and heart.

And it turned out to anger.

“Well FUCK ME,” I boomed, my voice breaking through the brittle ice of my Ma’s presence, the heavy snowdrift that was Shapes behind me, “Didn’t expect to see you here, Ma,” I was saying too loudly, my voice harsh and mocking, splintered with catastrophic things that were pouring out of me that I couldn’t control, that were slicing my cheeks as they left my throat, What a pleasant fucking surprise!!

I jerked my head away from her, to pace a few steps to my right; then I jerked left again, my tiny tail lashing and my breath furiously huffing through my nose and I couldn’t explain the violent heat rising inside me, suffocating me, drowning me, a flashflood from nowhere, but it was coming out in heaps and it makes my teeth ache just thinking about it and it makes my heart hurt to remember how I acted but there was a demon riding my back and it was—

--hurt.

“So what brings you here, Ma? I said suddenly, stopping in my tracks to peer at her with a sharp eye and an even sharper brow, “When’d you decide to come here, Ma, to Pa’s herd? I grit my teeth and I swear the fire rose so high up I could almost taste it in the back of my throat (or maybe it was just bile), Pa’s herd, huh? Funny. Never heard of this place. Must be pretty cool to come here. Would have been nice to know. ” Irony was dripping from my mouth like leaking venom. Would've been pretty bitchin’ to visit.

The crust of my words were starting to flake, to the real hurt behind them that raged like fury inside as a shield; My Pa’s herd that I never knew about. My Pa’s herd that she had never told me of, a connection to a whole half of me tucked deeply into the mountains. All I had known about it was that it was a place where unicorns had paid for our services, but I was too young to care about that particular politics; never before had she told me that my Pa (my Pa! MY PA--) had had a whole land dedicated to him and his honor—

--but I also hadn't known I had a Pa until he had come to find me.

Circles, circles, going back in circles. I forgot about Shapes in that moment, consumed with this thing that Ma had unleashed by nothing but her presence. This thing that had been festering since I had told her I had finally met my Pa—and her eyes had gone cold.

@[Torleik]
@[Ophelia]

talk

Ascended Helovian

The smile on her lips quickly faded as Roskuld’s expression turned to anger, and Ophelia did not understand. She tilted her ears back, a frown crossing her mousy lips as her daughter lashed out in anger. Visibly, she recoiled at the sarcastic words, wincing as they cut her - more painful than any stab wound. Swiftly her eyes descended to the ground, trying to see from her point of view and watching her hooves pace across the graveled road. What did she have to be sorry for?

Ophelia lifted her eyes, narrowing her gaze ever so slightly at her daughter’s display. She understood anger. She understood rage. This, however, was petulance. If she was upset, there were better ways to express that anger, and the pale princess ground her teeth, waiting for Roskuld to be done to speak her peace. Granted, she was not sure the daughter even wanted an answer since most of those questions seemed rhetorical and vehement. Ophelia was not going to tolerate this behavior, not now, and she lifted her shoulders slightly.

The reasons were many as to why she did not bring anyone here, but she had also not taken Roskuld to the other herds either. Was this because of her father then that she was upset? The god-stallion who raped her deserved some sort of fatherly respect? Love? Was she supposed to lead her daughter down his path of selfishness to take what she wanted? No. Ophelia may not have been a good mother, but she had protected Roskuld from many truths – truths that no child would ever be able to shake. Having been barely old enough to understand, Phi had born Roskuld into an uncertain world, war and bloodshed surrounding them in the Foothills years ago.

And she was upset about this now?

“No, it would not have been,” she growled, taking a step forward toward her child. The movement was not menacing, but it was authoritative. “I rescued Mesec from these lands before you were born – saved him from a life of torment where he was told he was ugly because of his wings.” Ophelia’s eyes flashed with pain. “I thought for years that those who resided in this land were evil, fools, but Torleik invited me to see differently.” The pale princess glanced at the strange stallion, wondering what he must think of her now with this creature, loud and rude, as a daughter. “I have not been here long – just long enough for your father to name me a leader, though I have no idea why.”

“You accuse me of not showing you this land, but I did so for your safety based on what I knew at the time. The words spoken to Mesec were unforgiveable, and I did not want you to experience the same.”
Phi swallowed, hard, and she tried to keep emotion from rising to her throat. “You refuse me as a parent. The last time we spoke, you denied my embrace. What do you want from me, Roskuld? I try to love you the way I know how and you run away, but now you blame me for not taking you around the world? Do you want me or not?”

The words were desperate, catching in her throat as tears formed on the tops of her lower lids.

OPHELIA
Faith shattered and decays as frosted blood flows in my veins

sdrcow @ DA

@[Roskuld]

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.

I saw her swell a little towards me, standing her ground, staying stable and plucking some string of her authority. And maybe once it would’ve been enough; maybe before I would have backed the fuck up out of her space, chastised and shamed like every other time when I was a little girl throwing a pissing fit.

But no, not this time. She took a step towards me and I didn’t move; my ears remained plastered to my neck and my body jumped with a spark that shouted ”what nerve!”. Now she wanted to stand up like she had a reign on me; now she was bein’ a Ma, or something, but I was wildin’ out of even my control and there was no stopping the hurricane.

I let her talk, because she’d let me shout. I swallowed the impulse to cut across her words—which was harder than it sounded, because it felt like there was something wrong with every word that fell from her lips. I ground my teeth, biting my tongue, swallowing the lump that was ever growing in my throat, the wad of words that wanted to unleash themselves in a hailstorm.

She was talking about Mesec--another wad of pain that I had sort of swept under the rug, where it had lain, awkward and causing a lump in the carpet, gathering dust bunnies and dirt; a pain I’d never reconciled. I couldn’t look at her while she was talking about where Mesec came from—as she explained that he had come from here, which was a bigger mindfuck than I could deal with at that moment. My eyes were already spinning, and now my head was screwing loose, and it was hard keeping track of where the trails of hurt and anger wanted to twist—because it felt like there was a target everywhere.

*“I have not been here long – just long enough for your father to name me a leader, though I have no idea why.”*

Fucking leader. Made so by my Pa. There was something tragic in this that I couldn’t see: my vision was too blurred out with red.

*“You refuse me as a parent.”*

My eyes snapped back to her suddenly. Furious.

*“The last time we spoke, you denied my embrace. What do you want from me, Roskuld? I try to love you the way I know how and you run away, but now you blame me for not taking you around the world? Do you want me or not?”*

“Don’t you fucking flip the script!” I roared, and I felt my gut twist painfully—because the difference was marked, wasn’t it? I was an entirely different creature than my Ma, this composed, gorgeous creature of ice--while I was nothing but a boar with too much voice. “’Do I want you?’ The fuck kind of question is that? ‘I refuse you as a parent’--no, I refuse to play the nut-bucket role for you anymore!”

It exploded out of me—that lump of words that had been growing in my throat. It was unleashed and I couldn’t stop it and it was messy and awful and—“I don’t care about the goddamn world. What I care about is why I looked my Pa dead in his eye and you let him be a stranger to me!” The memory was hazy—but distinct and filled with dead crows and painful in its own way. "How the fuck can I refuse you as a parent? You’re my Ma, and he’s my Pa, and I ain’t had any choice in any of that.” My eyes flashed. “But that’s something you’d choose to do all over again, isn’t it?” Her words were thrown back at her, a challenge a challenge a challenge—

“What do I want from you? I wanna know why you go cold at the whisper of Pa’s name. I wanna know why there’s a whole place dedicated to him—regardless of who’s running it, or how, or why—and why I had to damn-near freeze my ass in half in the tundra tryin’ to find it when you was here anyway, snuggled and safe and keeping it to yourself. I wanna know why you kept me from my Pa. And don’t talk about no bulllshit like you was trying to protect me—from what? Like ignoring the shit was gonna make it disappear from my life? Like it was gonna make it less meaningful to me, like my destiny was gonna change if I was kept an idiot. I never thought you treated me like a child—“ My voice broke—because, for an instant, my eye was filled with memories, back when my Ma was so tall, and I was so short, and nothing was painful—“—and I guess I was wrong, wasn’t I?”

My breath shuddered—and so did my chest, and pretty soon, all of me was shaking. “You wanna know if I want you or not?” I said, and my voice was scratchy and so much lower—and even more dangerous because of it. “Nah, Ma, that ain’t the question. The question is if you really want me. I paused—but I couldn’t stop it. “’Cuz if you did, you’d remember.”

@[Ophelia]

talk

Ascended Helovian

I HAVE BURNED MY TOMORROWS, AND I STAND INSIDE TODAY
At the edge of the future, and my dreams all fade away

Ophelia tried so hard to keep up her walls – to appear strong, but she just was not. Second by second, her energy drained, failure creeping up with familiar fingers to grasp her by the fetlocks and pull her asunder. If this was not proof enough for Torleik, what would be? She broke everything she touched – everyone she loved. Why? Because she was broken, and the only way she could possibly see through the cracks of her own soul was to etch them into another. Not intentionally. Her score marks came from desperate, clawing fingernails as she cried out for love and affection. As they turned away, she gripped too tightly, damaging as they abandoned her again.

The pale princess listened, resignation in every, ugly streak of saline that crawled pathetically down her alabaster cheeks. Roskuld did not back away, did not back down. Her voice grew louder, yelling and demanding truths from Ophelia that she could barely admit to herself. Words were thrown in her face, her own words in times when ‘I love you’ sounded cliché and foolish. The pale princess shook her head slowly, frowning deeply and trying to breathe, but tears seemed to gather in her lungs.

A dangerous tone, a loaded gun, aimed at her heart, and Roskuld pulled the trigger. Ophelia felt a heartstring snap beneath the weight, a fissure in an already wretched cavern, and she remembered everything, clear as day. Except one memory. Just one. One the Sun God had refused to return. Should she continue to keep this secret? Save Roskuld from the truth and bear the brunt of her anger knowing that she did the right thing? Or was the right thing just a fantasy? Everything was a shade of gray now, some fucked up, convoluted amalgam of shit she had to choose from, and she took a hesitant step back.

If anyone else spoke, she did not hear. If rain were to fall, she could not feel. A long silence expanded through time, and she blinked roughly, lips opening and closing dumbly as she tried to think of how to tell Roskuld the truth. “I want you, Roskuld,” she said, a fissure on her heart gaining a new crack. “I thought… I didn't… I did not tell you, not because you were a child, but because it hurts,” she groaned, a bitter smile crossing her lips. “The Sun God gave me a mission… and he removed my memories… all of them. I did not remember Ktulu. I barely knew who I was. Maybe… maybe for the first time I was happy. I don’t… He thought he was doing me a favor, taking away my pain, but…” she shook her head. “I was not… me… We are not ourselves without the culmination of our past.”

“I hurt so many by not remembering their names and faces. I nearly got myself killed. So, I returned to the God of the Sun to restore my memories.”
Reliving this moment was horrible, and she hung her head in shame, staring at her cloven hooves. “He returned all but one and did not tell me. Then he abandoned me there on the rock, promising to never see me again – that he was disappointed that I returned a gift he so graciously gave. Maybe… maybe I was…” Ophelia frowned and could not meet Roskuld’s eyes knowing the next words to come out of her mouth, and her breathing hitched again.

“I returned home to find I was pregnant. I had no memory of this. Did I… was….” Ophelia stammered, the weight of her emotion clogging her words. “The Time God knew. He knew… He knew I was not myself, and he took… advantage of that fact, and the Sun God did not return the memory. I still don’t know… The pale princess shook her head, not bothering to hide her tears anymore. A cold wind rustled her mane, unnoticed, and she sank into her pool of despair.

“I avoided him and avoided telling you because if he can use me like that, what would he do to you? What would he put you through? What hell would he make you face knowing that you were just another tool for him to use? I couldn’t…” Anger rose like bile in her throat, a corrosive acid that coated her tongue. “I couldn’t let him do that to you. It’s why I told you that you can make your own choices. You can say no. You… you have more power than I could ever have – the opportunities I did not. Don’t… don’t let him use you.” Ophelia chanced a glance up at her daughter, stomach flopping in her gut. She felt nauseous.

“I love you, but I don’t know how. And… and if I had to experience that all again, just for you, I would. You are… perfect,” she whispered, eyes earnest. “I… I… don’t know how to love, Roskuld, but I tried and I failed you.” Ophelia turned her head, swallowing hard. “You deserve better than myself. I have failed you, so completely. I am… I am sorry.

Image Credit: haiinee @ sxc.hu

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Torleik the Bloodskald

Those who are closest cut deepest

The Bloodskald had tried to remain quiet, stay out of the way, be simply a bystander to this moment he knew from early on he should not be a part of. But was this not why he had agreed to bring Roskuld here? Because he'd promised he'd help Ophelia find her daughter? What a massive mistake he'd made...and now was perhaps about to compound.

Tension had mounted, words were exchanged and the pain was broiling over. How could there be anything but confusion and pain when a god had taken you for his own, forced upon you his child and then left you to raise it? Maybe there were equal parts parental and child failure here, but all Torleik could see was that Roskuld was...

A childish little tyrant.

And that made him angry.

Still, for Ophelia's sake, he kept his tongue firmly behind clenched teeth - a strategy that only worked for so long. Everything suddenly escalated, due in no small part to Roskuld, and in the ensuing emotional carnage, the Bloodskald could hold his voice no longer.

"YOU!" he boomed at Roskuld, no longer giving a damn. Maybe this was the wrong choice. Maybe he'd only succeed in making Ophelia angry with him for being angry at her child - but he could not stand for this, for this ridiculous display. Sky darkening with his rage, the dangerous storm magic he so rarely used bending the very atmosphere to his will, Torleik stepped a violent hoof between the two.

"You act like a self-absorbed, foul-mouthed, entitled little child," he snarled. "You might be half god, but the world doesn't owe you anything! Maybe, in your reality, where this world entirely revolves around you, you might stop to consider a simple little proverb: 'Meet an asshole in the morning, and you ran into an asshole. Meet assholes all day, and you're probably the asshole.' Shouldn't be too difficult - it's still considering yourself."

A heavy snort punctuated a short pause, followed by a crash of lightning and thunder, and the Bloodskald gathered himself once more. "Are you happy to hear now that even though your mother was raped by a god, she still wants you? So you're a bastard child - so am I! You still have a mother and a father, neither of whom you likely even understand how to appreciate! Count yourself lucky that both of your parents are still alive! What the hell do you have to be so angry about? Your father's never there? Mine wasn't either. Your mother isn't sure what to do with you? That's your fault. You're awful. You're more than old enough to stop acting this way, yet you spew piss and shit out of your mouth like you were still an infant too helpless to do anything but lay in her own filth." The disgust in his tone was evident. He had tried to see this child of Ophelia's in a positive light, tried to keep an open opinion of her, but this was damning.

She was just a selfish little shit who was screaming at the world because it didn't spin the way she wanted it to.

A sneer was affixed on his face, and he stepped back, done now. "You can both hate me if you wish - I care not," the Bloodskald said darkly. "Out of the heart, the mouth speaks. So we have all done here today. I am not your family and your family issues are therefore not my battlefield, but I will not stand by and allow abuse to be hurled unfettered where some goddamn self-restraint should be shown," he growled. His gaze bored into Roskuld's petulant little face. "Let me say this in a way you will understand: you need to learn your fucking place in this world."

Angry beyond measure, disappointed and disgusted, Torleik turned away. His last words were spoken to Ophelia. "I have said more than I should, and more that is my right. But I will not stand idly by while anyone wounds you - even your own flesh and blood. If you have need of me, you know where to find me in this place. I will take my leave now and not play interloper to your personal life any longer today."

Stiff steps took him away, Irelyn whirling anxiously overhead. She had never experienced her bondmate angry in that fashion before and it stressed her. She wished to go with him, but she liked the white mare...and in a moment of decision, she chose to land on Ophelia's haunches and remain with the female. Torleik was not insulted. Irelyn was a compassionate little creature and Phi was hurting. She was comforting where his anger would not let him, and...that he was grateful for.

And suddenly, like the crack of lightning that seemed to follow him, a realization struck him.

He could not leave.

Tossing his head, the Bloodskald gritted his teeth and turned back, every step feeling more and more leaden - not because he longed to be elsewhere but because his was not sure his already frothing ire would not explode at Roskuld once more. Planting himself firmly next to the Forsaken, he lightly pushed his muzzle against her low hanging neck. "I promised I would not abandon you. I will keep my word as best I am able," he murmured. Hard gaze lifted towards the demi-god now, not caring in the least what her opinion of him was. He had much else he could say to her, but keeping his mouth shut was the best option after he'd opened it so widely moments ago.

@[Roskuld]
@[Ophelia]

"talk talk talk"

Art by araxel @ DA
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Eternity hung and it was just me and my Ma, standing around not saying shit, listening to the blood spill from a gunshot. I breathed forcefully through my nose, my nerves and my muscles tensed and raging and ready for flight, for a fight--and there was Ma standing there, a statue of fine-spun ice, pieces of it flaking off her frame, like she was losing it, losing it, slipping from some glacial pedestal down into a pit that was lined with things just as sharp (where I was pulling her).

She finally spoke, after millennia. And I listened—not to the words, because she’d told me many of these things before, the Sun God who stole her heart memories from her, keeping me a shadow in her head. But what I was hearing was the story laced between them, the untold tale that she had kept so close to her breast, keeping me from it, arsenic in a sugar bowl. But I had tugged it out of her, hadn’t I? I had forced it, squeezed it, blackmailed something poisonous out of my Ma’s lips—yelled and screamed and tortured until she had no choice but to give in.

I had asked, hadn’t I?

And she was answering.

She was answering with things I’d never expected of her--pain, pain and confusion, pain and the need to keep me from it. And…I dunno. Maybe it shocked me so hard because it was things that I knew too well—and we were supposed to be two different creatures, weren’t we? In some backwards-ass way—I dunno, I guess I always figured my Ma was something more than mortal.

I had just wanted answers from her. I didn’t—I never, ever wanted her tears.

*“I avoided him and avoided telling you because if he can use me like that, what would he do to you? What would he put you through? What hell would he make you face knowing that you were just another tool for him to use?”*

It was deja-vu, and if I had a voice, I would have told her the same shit that had run through my head the first time she had told me that. Pa said that; the very first time we had set eyes on each other, chest to chest and ass to ass, he had told me the power I possessed, the choice I had in my life. But my words were ash and shit in my mouth, like the rest of me—and I guess\ maybe there was truth there too, the truth of a whole year of life lost holding my tongue back.

I didn’t know how hard I had been crushing her until she finally succumbed to the weight of it. Everything inside me twisted and ached as the tears continued to fall, as her voice broke around the hilt of the knife she pointed to her own heart.

*“I… I… don’t know how to love, Roskuld, but I tried and I failed you.”*

“No--” I blurted, and I was shaking my head without feeling the tendons move—but she kept talking and crying the tears I had made her cry with my presence:

*“You deserve better than myself. I have failed you, so completely. I am… I am sorry.”*

”No, I said again, harder, trying to find my voice again. I had wanted answers. I had just wanted answers! I didn’t want her voice to break, her tears to shed, her—her mask to fall because I didn’t know how to shut it—

(I didn’t want her to be sorry. I wanted her to be there.)

(I wanted her to be my Ma.)

I took a step forward without realizing it—maybe so I could catch the pieces that kept falling from her face. “Ma—“ I said, my voice strangled, and I’m not even sure what I was gonna say—

--and I would never be sure—

--cuz suddenly—

*"YOU!"*

--I ‘bout lost my

e n t i r e

s h i t

It was all the worse because I had completely forgotten Shapes was there in the first place. He had melted in the edges of my vision, someone pointless and useless, because this was a world between me and my Ma and there was shit that needed settling that should’ve been settled a long time ago. So imagine my immediate, absolute f u r y at someone--anyone--barging in our bubble, adding their voice where it wasn’t needed, regardless of whatever the fuck he thought he had to say.

It was instant. When motherfuckers say “snapped”, they mean that shit. My eyes fell on him and my brain—that thing that was being over-processed as it was, with all the twists and turns of these things between Ma and me—just stopped. Kaput. Dead and dull and gone. My eyes fell on him and I cocked my head and I stared at him with my lids wide open, my pupils contracted into tiny pinpricks of shocking blue, my mouth hanging open, stupefied, thrown by the audacity.

But it didn’t stop there—because the fury in my blood boils in so many more ways than one. My hair stood on end—mane, tail, everything standing straight up and out, as though a cover of static had slid over my frame (which it probably had). There was a buzz! and a snap! and a crackle! in the air and in the space above my back—one could see arcs of lightning there, brilliant blues and whites, bursting into existence in the vague outline of harsh wings. They flapped around me, and I didn’t see them—hell, even if I felt them I wouldn’t have cared. I had reached a point of anger that became madness.

Best part? This was all just because he had opened his mouth.

I was in no state to decipher his words at that moment; all that happened was that they became engraved in my brain, where they would haunt me there, later, when I was lucid and miserable and my wings disappeared under the veil of air and ignorance.

*"Are you happy to hear now that even though your mother was raped by a god, she still wants you?*

Yeah.

*”Your mother isn't sure what to do with you? That's your fault. You're awful.”*

Yeah.

*"Let me say this in a way you will understand: you need to learn your fucking place in this world."*

I’mma remember this shit.

At some point I became aware that he had fallen silent—and all I could do was stare at him, eyes wide with things lurking unhinged, as he took his place beside my Ma.

And touched her.

“…..Mama?” I asked, and if I had any of my senses left to deal with, I probably would have marveled at the softness of my voice, the ease of which it left me despite it being so dead, “Who’s this man to you, and why’s he talking to me?”

My eyes never left him; my lip twitched.

@[Ophelia]

talk

Ascended Helovian

I HAVE BURNED MY TOMORROWS, AND I STAND INSIDE TODAY
At the edge of the future, and my dreams all fade away

Roskuld’s silent pleas went unnoticed, her name ‘ma’ uttered in the background of a story that would tell itself once she got started. Though her words were stammered and voice unsure, she continued. Her daughter wanted the truth, and there it was plain as day. What she did not expect was Torleik to speak and come to her defense, let alone in such a delicate family situation. His booming voice was a yell she had not heard before from the stallion, and she watched in shock and horror. Color would drain from her expression if she had any at all, but it had pooled into the bloody ends of her hair long, long ago.

She visibly cringed at the mention of the word ‘rape’, having avoided the honesty of that term for so long, and she looked down at her hooves, heart pounding in her chest. What would Roskuld think of her now? Of Torleik? Of herself? There was some truth in what Torleik said, and the method in which it was spoken may have been right. But, Ophelia could barely stand the thought of forever severing the relationship she held with her daughter, fragile thread that it was. She would crawl on her knees if she had to, have her body torn asunder, soul ruined if it meant that she could protect her daughter.

Maybe this was exactly why she needed Torleik. He kept her from imploding in heartache, from dragging herself across the ground, begging for a sign of warmth, only to be caught in icy rains. In a way, he protected her from herself, and though she could not see it now, she would in the future. A soft, feathered body warmed her back, and she took brief and distracted comfort in the creature as Torleik began to walk away and leave her with the destroyed living room he had created.

And then he came back. He remembered his promise.

Ophelia did not know what to think, and she blinked away the last of her tears as she stared at him in confusion, not reacting to his gentle, subtle touch. Only Roskuld’s frighteningly calm tone called her back, and she frowned, feeling her heart break a thousand times over when she looked into her daughter’s face. The question, however, was not what she had been expected, and it made her falter.

Who was Torleik to her?

That was not so easily answered. He was hope for a better future. He was a calculated but foolish risk. He was her general. He was a caretaker. He was a voice of reason. He was anger when she was numb and rationality when she was insanity. Yet all of these things could not explain who he was to her, and she took a deep, hitching breath. “He…” she trailed. “He is my invitation to the Aurora Basin, a friend when I had none, a strength at my mother’s death, and… perhaps more.” Ophelia furrowed her brows. “When I cannot… he…” she trailed, unsure of how to phrase what she felt.

“Unfettered honesty has never been a strength of mine. And, he has seen how… I have… he knows…” she trailed again, getting flustered with herself. “I do not know why he is talking to you, but he protects me and that… that is…” Something she had never really had before. “Good.”

The Lady swallowed hard, looking to the stallion at her side. “But he is right. This is my daughter, my blood and my story.” She turned back to Roskuld. “You… you heard now. The truth. I will not make you stay, and I cannot make you believe me, but I do love you in a way that I know. If this… is not enough for you, I understand.”

Image Credit: haiinee @ sxc.hu

He…

is a friend

And I can’t touch him.

It all falls away from me—the wild anger tearing at my insides, the fury of this stranger (who’s not a stranger, he isn’t, apparently he’s a friend--) butting into business he had no right to butt into he was invited to stick his nose in. This man I’ve never seen before; this man who had looked at me in such a funny way all the way back at the Arch, and that had been a clue, hadn’t it, that had been a little snippet of both past and future I’d been too dumb to notice at the time—

--and it didn’t matter how I felt about his words, or how I felt about his face, or if I wanted to claw out those eyes that wouldn’t stop looking at me like that—

--because he was a friend.

And it all fell away, all the anger and the nonsense—and before I had had wings sitting on my back but now they were fizzled into oblivion and obliviousness once again, and whatever lightning storm I had been cooking up around me suddenly fell away against the dark clouds of—

--of a friend.

I stood there, empty, everything empty. Because it had been the passion of fury that had been driving my mindless limbs—and without that, I was just mindless. I was dazed as my eyes fell back on my Ma, dizzy and punch-drunk with what she had said. So gentle compared to the roughness of Shapes’ voice; so sad, so forlorn and aching for a support and I guess that’s what he was to her.

He protects me and that… that is…good.

He protects her.

From me.

I just stared. I don’t even know if there was something stirring in my eyes at all—maybe they were like blank stones set in the face of a statue while my mind nibbled and tested and tossed around the words she had said, the meaning behind them, the feeling the clue the hint I had to--

”Your mother isn't sure what to do with you? That's your fault. You're awful—“

Unfettered honesty.

"Are you happy to hear now that even though your mother was raped by a god, she still wants you?”

A strength.

My mother’s rape.

”This is my daughter, my blood and my story.”

My mother’s rape.

If given the choice now, I would have had you again.

My mouth was ash; the mountains were ash. The sentinels I had fallen in love with, the skies and the glint of a lake down below—all of it was ash, ash on my tongue, ash in my eyes making them burn even though not a single tear dropped from them. The air inside me was ash, too; I had trouble speaking, trouble breathing, and a distant alarm in the back of my head told me that I had to leave. I had to leave. There was nothing to gain by staying here—except more pain, causing my Ma more pain by looking at me.

But words found themselves and tumbled from my ruined jaw, spilling in ashen monotone.

’If given the choice now, I would have had you again’,” I spoke quietly—words I had remembered by heart, because I had drawn so much strength from them, so much reassurance that my Ma loved me, loved me, loved me--

I closed my eyes. “What a crock of shit.”

I turned to the entrance; my steps were dead, heavy weights as I left a valley of ashes.

[EEP THE END SORRY ABOUT THAT

talk