the Rift

Again?

Sielu Posts: 47
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 5 years :: Orangemoon
Angel
"I'm so stupid..." these wordless lips would never speak the common tongue; still, they shuffle apart out of habit -- even if no sound can come forth. Privately I sulk and march the hours away on this cold, windy, moonless night. Though none of those environmental aspects bothered me; the crisp northern breeze is a dear friend and a slight comfort. Silver droplets moisten the corner of my eyes, pride forces them back as I swallow a silent sob. It's true when men say the heart of a young girl is a chasm; tricky to navigate -- a dangerous hole that makes false echo's for those that hunt for her gentle touch.

Emotions are what did start my search for a dark scent and crimson hair; the security of smooth flesh pressed against my shoulder, a silver stare and tender voice whispering a lullaby into the night. But that journey was just as pointless as my life has been -- the path I'd led over the course of two long years, had come full circle. Here I am again; call it déjà vu. Should've never have left.

The spawn of a thief and frozen king; a child of ice and passion. Nameless, a bastard babe, outcast, orphan, homeless. All those labels hit nothing, no cord within me; they'd never bothered my sleep or occupied a space in this curious mind. Titles are often used to describe an individual, if they where strong or brave, foolish, hardy, evil -- we christened them with a name.

These feet remember scarce few of the narrow hind trails I've traveled. The forgiving soil beneath me is moist with sweat, the vegetation dead or asleep. This land was well underway for Frostfall to make an entrance. Yet, there was one inhabitant that hasn't prepared for the cold. My weary stare finds the path ahead to be broken, twisted; memories scramble to make sense of the smoky colored branches that litter the way. Those inky, itchy shadows take all familiar would-be away.

This trail forks, branching off to the northeast and west. I pause in the center, frowning, scanning and weighting my skimpy options. A soundless mist extends from my jaw and another pitiful rise of anxiety whelps anew. What was the point of this? Why was I back?

Art by Bronzehalo. Table by Riven

Nyx Posts: 292
Deceased atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 11 HP: 72 | Buff: SWIFT
Dominus :: White Lion :: None Snow
She hasn't been to the Threshold since she came here to be recruited herself. It is strange to step upon the familiar soil with the intention of being the recruiter, not the recruitee. But she wants to be of use to the Edge, and trying to fill its ranks seems like the best way to do this. The ironheart doesn't quite have a silver tongue, but she does fancy herself to be rather persuasive.

Dominus has declined to come with her; he tells her he has better things to do than try and lure newcomers into their ranks. He has instead chosen to go hunting, and Nyx gets occasional flashes of fleeing prey in her mind, coupled with sudden surges of excitement that come from her bonded in his hunting-glory. She snorts softly, arching her powerful neck and wondering how many rabbits will meet their demise today at the paws of her white lion. She moves at a trot, head held high and hooves sliding easily across the sun-hardened ground, regal and refined in her movements. She has no idea if she should be picking and choosing - is the Edge to become unicorn-only now it's ruled by at least one racist? Or will Mauja mellow his beliefs and allow the lessers into their midst?

Her attention is caught fairly soon by a purple (!!!) horned mare, with a tail of...blue fire. The storm queen finds herself stopping and staring for a moment, because she will never quite grow used to the sheer uniqueness of Helovia's residents. In contrast to this other mare, Nyx feels rather insignificant and even ugly with her bland grey pelt. "Wow, you're...purple," remarks the silver, edging slightly closer to look the unicorn thoroughly up and down. Realising this may seem rude, she internally scolds herself. "I mean, it's pretty. Shiny." That hardly sounds any better.

Maybe she should have left this to the professionals.

"My name is Nyx, one of the Protectors in the World's Edge," she begins again. She notes that the other mare is stood on a fork between two paths; how fitting. "Are you looking for a home?" She looks for a moment at the purple's face, hunting for emotion, but swiftly looks away so as not to seem rude.

Image © Snow @ Helovia

Other characters have permission to use magic/violence against Nyx at any time.

Kiara Posts: 171
Deceased atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 13.2hh :: 5 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Keiran :: Black Panther :: Stormcall Emily
Kiara

We were leaving. I had enough of the ups and downs that seemed to keep me on this roller coaster of life in Helovia. I had wandered the wilds instead of going through with trying to become the newest queen of the Edge. I had debated living there, but I just wasn't sure I could do it. Kieran's gaze follows me as I enter the threshold. What about Vitani? he prods softly in my mind. She has Sarabi and can handle herself. It's time I was selfish and move on. There's nothing left for me here He moves forward and follows me on, still trying to convince me to stay. He tried to convince me that Vitani and Sarabi still had much to learn. I had not been much older than she was when I learned the hard truth about life. Maybe if I didn't shelter her like I had tried to do with the others she would stand a better chance.

As we move, my emerald eyes catch sight of a familiar frame. Purple body, smoky blue mane and tail... "Sielu. You look much better than the last time I saw you." Which was true. The last time I saw her, she had been clinging to life between a very heavily pregnant Lady of the Basin and a spotted stallion. "I'm Kiara, former Earth Medic of the Hidden Falls." Would she remember me? I had been heavily pregnant myself, with my twins. It's only then I look at the other mare. I did not know her, but I knew the smell upon her coat. She was from the Edge. "Who are your leads now, that Kaj and Archibald have taken my home." Okay sure, I had been given the chance to stay. But why would I? How could I trust anyone to protect me other than Keiran. Not to mention they could of just asked... The Falls had always been small, and had grown smaller since Seele had passed. Now Midas was gone to...

"Talking"

OOC - Edited to add fluff for wc and table

Image Credit

The Heart is Wiser than the Mind

Please Tag Kiara in All Posts
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kiara at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Sielu Posts: 47
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 5 years :: Orangemoon
Angel
Who can say for how long I've uselessly debated; seconds, minutes? Unshed tears clog my pores, they threaten to spill across those walls that have held them at bay for so long. There was no reason to hold back. Or so my mind did concoct. It became sadly obvious that my presence had lingered long enough for someone to overtake me on this dim lit trail. Ivory crowned skull slides right, carrying my gaze to peer grimly at the visitor through waltzing smoke. Composer. Nobody enjoys fighting tears in front of a stranger; though sobbing was worse. After a hard swallow I work on composing -- reining in this emotionally pent heart. Warring to halt that onslaught of quivering -- I'm becoming a pitiful idiot... With vainly concealed effort I've choked down discomfort and urged these toes to dance left; hopefully allowing the stranger ample passage on by. Keep going.

That silvery pelt she wore is shimmery and slightly inked; in this masked light my narrow gaze can just make out the fine bridge of an ashy nose. Gems drift humbly to the ground; fine wrinkles around both eyes tighten in reply to her exclamation of my physical appearance -- it should be nothing unusual, I'd heard such comments before. Still, I've never been numb to their reations -- its bothersome...being...different.

Nyx recovers and introduces herself; my first answer is a silent sigh that mists around the lavender flare of these nostrils. Weak frustration for this whole circumstance is now glowing like an ember and pushing aside my mulling grief; both of which are now directed at the woman who'd vocalized my insecurities. Pools slip up with more strength, hooking that vibrant stare which had bore into my body like a small child would regard a foreign insect. With no thought to any surprise or rejection that might occur, my silvery threads reach for Nyx's mind from the bottom of my soul; they dance, stretching until I'm lurking on the outskirts of her very spirit -- which is nestled beneath the fleshcoat we wore.

Tethering a inward connection is far more intimate than vocal words alone; through the bond she would (if I choose) feel the vulnerability, mistrust and frustration that circles this heart like a vulture. A mental link is the only way I can communicate, "I don't know..." Those words are crisp, unmistakable, clear cut -- yet, there was also a childlike softness, and somehow breakable note. Before anything more could be added, another figure walks in from the darkness; she marches from the shadows alongside a coal colored companion. The sight of this pair sparks my memories to glow, I'd seen that face before; somewhere. Both brows narrow, genuine befuddlement filters across my blank expression. Where?

Honeyed lips stretch, my name is upon her tongue; trigging recollection. She knows me...? Mirrors scrunch together, confusion gives way to encouragement. Eager to settle our connection, I unnoticeably toss one of many mental cords to Kiara. For some reason those sections of my mind are dark, dusted by the years. Kiara face and name swirls around my frontal lobe, dipping in and out of gullies. Suddenly, a snapshot comes to mind; of warmth and gentle green eyes looming overhead with earnest intent. The scent rain. Strength. Realization pulls my lids higher, the beginnings of a softer expression tempt the gloom I've worn into a brief retreat. Tethering our link with practiced ease, "I remember you..." A mental flash of that murky moment slips through the bond into both of their minds. Of me weak, dejected, nearly dead; her kindness and warmth filling every crevice to the brim -- restoring life to these bones and flesh that was sapped.

My savior from two years prier mentions that her home has been taken by the former leaders of Edge territory. (Or at least that's what I've pieced together...) Though for a homeless rogue, Kiara doesn't sound resentful. Even so, her choice of words leaves one wondering. A slight assumption is stirring in my gut, perhaps there was bad blood involved. But this heart has zero room for speculation, I'm a stranger to these lands -- despite being native. Hearing landscape titles felt strange....like these ears are sampling names from a foal tale and not real life. Biogems shift to Nyx for a reply.
Art by Bronzehalo. Table by Riven

OOC: I did power play her speaking if there is a problem with it, plz message me and I'll fix my post. She communicates with her mind.

@[Nyx]
@[Kiara]

Nyx Posts: 292
Deceased atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 11 HP: 72 | Buff: SWIFT
Dominus :: White Lion :: None Snow
No voice comes - instead, there is a presence inside her mind, similar to that of Dominus. Unlike Dominus, however, it is foreign, alien, not the familiar caress of her lion that she knows like the back of her hoof. The silver one's eyes roll, thinking it's a mental attack, and barriers slam up around her mind, but not before she hears the words and feels the strange soup of emotions leaking out of the purple mare. Her ears - which had laced down to her skull - erect again, and her fear is replaced by curiosity. A fellow unicorn who can speak mentally? She has never seen the like. She idly wonders if the mental speech is a conscious choice that the female has made, or a necessity due to muteness.

I don't know, says the purple one. "Are you...okay?" asks the ironheart uncertainly, but kindly. Dominus suddenly stiffens beside her, a growl erupting from his throat as another mare approaches - this one an equine, a panther by her side. The presence of another feline has the great lion feeling suddenly territorial, and it takes a sharp mental nudge from Nyx to stop him lunging at the black creature. His mane stands stiff against his neck, his thick limbs crouched and a low growl still vibrating in the depths of his meaty chest.

The mare introduces herself as Kiara, and asks who leads the Edge now - the mention of home-taking causes one ear to flick back, but it's only momentary. As far as Nyx is concerned, the Falls brought their fate upon themselves. "We recently elected two new leaders - a unicorn named Mauja, and a black unicorn stallion who I do not know the name of." She did know he was hot, but declines to mention this.

She looks between Kiara and the purple one, wondering if they are holding a mental conversation - they appear to have history. She shifts uncertainly, tail coiling, looking back to the violet rogue. "What's your name?" she questions in a gentle voice, not wanting to frighten her away.

Image © Snow @ Helovia

@[Kiara] @[Sielu]

Other characters have permission to use magic/violence against Nyx at any time.

Kiara Posts: 171
Deceased atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 13.2hh :: 5 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Keiran :: Black Panther :: Stormcall Emily
Kiara

I am stunned as I feel a new connection in my mind. I stare at Sielu in surprise, only guessing that it had to come from her as Nyx was now speaking. My gaze shifted to the one from the Edge with mild curiosity. "Mauja leads the Edge again?" it's only then I can hear the voice speaking clearly in my mind. My gaze turns back to Sielu. I can only assume it's her voice since its female. "You look much stronger than the last time I saw you. I am glad I was able to help." I feel useless now. No power to help and heal. Not useless. Strong. Kieran speaks clearly to me. I wonder mildly if Sielu can hear him too.

That's when I turn back to Nyx, growing more curious now. "What else has changed in the Edge?" I wanted to know more, starting to change my mind about leaving. We stay? Go to Edge? Find Vitani? My emerald eyes look to him. We will see. I want to know more first. As for Vitani, she can handle herself. She's probably safer without me. The panther shook his head before finally paying attention to the other big cat. He glared, pulling himself up tall to try and look intimidating. He bared his teeth slightly, but with a mental nudge from me he backed off. Last thing we needed was a fight between our companions. Back down Keiran. He moved back to my side and glared at the lion as if to say 'mess with us, you'll pay for it'

"Talking"

OOC - Edited to add fluff for wc and table
and editing again to tag @[Sielu] & @[Nyx] since its been a while

Image Credit

The Heart is Wiser than the Mind

Please Tag Kiara in All Posts
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kiara at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.