the Rift

[OPEN] in a perfect world this would never happen

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
   ranjiri</style>
  dreams start their drifting and you hear a lullaby</style>

Somehow I had made it back to the Throat but I couldn't really say how long it took me or what lands I even passed through. I think I walked, but maybe I flew, or maybe I did both. I don't remember but I do remember looking for Ryuu when I finally made it back, but I never was able to find him. I think part of me thought that he was off on a patrol, which I still didn't like. Another part figured that he was old enough to be out on his own if he wanted and there was nothing I could do to stop him. It was another weight added to my already broken down shoulders, something else to drive me farther into the dirt.

I gave up looking for Ryuu and I didn't even bother looking for Cera because I didn't want to face him. I didn't want to have to tell him that our father had died because I didn't want to see the look on his face. I didn't want to have to shoulder his heartbreak when I couldn't even handle my own. I just wanted to be left alone. I didn't want to be around anyone that could easily wear a smile and laugh and think that everything was fine with it wasn't. I had tried to put on a mask and look happy, I had tried to muster up fake cheerfulness when I was around others and it was exhausting. I didn't feel like doing it anymore. I couldn't. How could I when I just wanted to fall to pieces?

My hooves dragged through the sand as I walked and I admit that I wasn't paying any attention to where I was going. It wasn't until my hooves hit water that I realized that I couldn't go any farther. Well ... I could, but I would probably drown if I tried to swim from the Throat to Helovia's mainland because I didn't have the energy to, nor did I have the energy to fly. I hadn't been sleeping. At first it wasn't because I hadn't tried to sleep. I had, but every dream turned into a nightmare, haunted by the flash of lightning, the thundering crash of a body hitting the ground, the smell of charred flesh, and my dad's lifeless eyes. Eventually I gave up on trying to sleep and settled for short naps when my body insisted on it.

I stood for the longest time, the water lapping at my hooves as gentle as butterfly wings. For a few minutes I thought about wading into the water and letting it take me wherever and if I drowned ... I don't know. I didn't care. Eventually my exhaustion got the better of me and my legs folded, or maybe they buckled, and I hit the ground. I blinked my eyes, trying to stay awake but sleep eventually overtook me, right there on the beach.

"Talk."

@[Roskuld] and open to any!

Credits

aud pixel!

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers

“This is the desert,” I was telling you, “It’s really, really shitty.”

You sent me a questioning thought; images of sand dunes ‘n shit blinked in my head.

“No, it’s actually shitty and there’s no getting around that.”

You sent me images of the rare tree we had passed.

“Those, too. Everything’s shitty.”

Images of the clouds, the blue sky, the temperate wind.

What I just say.”

Your questions ended; you were very convinced of the shittiness of this place.

Well.

Okay you were convinced that I thought this place was shitty. Where you were, soaring up above on those tiny little owl wings of yours—well. You thought the place was pretty bitchin’. Lots of open sky, lots of space, nice wind that didn’t bite into you with frost—

Fuck off with that this place is shitty and there’s no redemption.”

You laughed at me in our head.

Fuck. Off.

You wondered idlly—thoughts you’ve been beginning to wonder lately. Images of me with you, by your side—but up in the air, soaring as easily as you could soar, tumbling through the clouds and playing and—

Chico,” I said, my head always getting dizzy whenever he thought those things to me; I was too tired for that shit,”For the last time, fuck o--

--but then I was sliding because suddenly the land just—

--stopped.

”The fuck is this? I asked harshly, and you thought I was asking you and there was a mental shrug as you flitted down to sit on my ass—

--but no, you’ve never been here before, you wouldn’t remember that there used to be land here, a thin plank of land that leaded to the Dragon’s Throat.

But it wasn’t there anymore.

All there was was this…water that never mattered, or maybe never even was there because I don’t remember this much water being here.

Did I…did I take the wrong turn?

But how the fuck do you mess this up? It’s literally the easiest route to follow—just take the shittiest direction and let the sand sink into your crevices and you’ll be there, viola.

I think.

I mean, I had been hallucinating the last time I came here.

I snorted and chewed my lip thoughtfully. Jiji was expecting me--I had told her I was coming to visit her and it had taken me a long time to do it but shit was about to go down so I figured it was time to fulfill a promise. At least…one promise, at any rate.

But the Throat wasn’t here…well. The bridge wasn’t here. There was just this water and this shitty sand all around the water—but if you looked into the horizon carefully enough you could see things, shadows in the distance, familiar shapes that stood out if you knew what to look for, like this huge, weird, tentacley tree that stamped its shadow in the distance and that stood out to anyone who had ever seen this herd before—

“Hey!” I shouted—because it looked like the Dragon’s Throat, even though it also looked like it had shoved itself from the mainland like a toddler throwing a tantrum. “HEY!” I screamed again, belting it out—wondering if there was anyone who could hear me. HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY!!

Knock-knock, motherfuckers. Anyone home?

[OMG PLEASE CRASH THIS]

Please tag ROSKULD in every reply!

Sikeax the Sea Soul Posts: 355
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 5 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Hobgoblin :: Common Rougarou :: Water & Seoul :: Plain White Dragon :: Toxic Breath Zuno
The same challenge constantly presented itself. Hobgoblin would have to grow and learn to accept things as she did them in order to live with one another, but his stubborn ways played a strong battle. He didn't want to love the sea as she did. She longed for the almost romantic sensation that came with being buried into the ocean while would prefer the feeling of land beneath whatever he choose to walk on.
Hisses and cries erupted from his jaws, crying outwards as she draws herself into the abyss. Leather wings leave her abandoned, turning her head up to his location above her, looking on in pity and embarrassment as he attempts to land multiple times on the water's surface and continuously fails. Screams of rage fill the air and destroy what silence there might of been along the border.
Blue eyes hold themselves on him, coming to shake her skull about the waters as he tries time and time again.
"There's food down there." Hunger had begun to strike her. Her own personal stomach had filled itself before hand, but him, young and naive, had chosen to play with the mice in the fields about the heart caves instead of eating.
Now, it came to bite him.
When he refuses to go, even for food, she breaks away, fleeing in the thick chance that anger would soon enough get the better of him, ending in abuse. The cuts from his last one had turned into scabs, dried blood washed away with her descent, and the missing lock of tail hair made an odd appearance of her tail. His stubbornness let her get away.
Fish take time, and by the time that she's made it close enough to shore, he's found something to preoccupy himself with. Someone is yelling, and to his ears, it's an alarm that fires the trigger. She has yet to figure out how to control him, and placing the first step onto land, dripping wet with fish impaled to her horn like some medieval hunter, his rage is an uncontrollable fire.
Her eyes watch in horror as once again, he finds himself snarling at the face of a stranger. Teeth flash as lips ravel themselves upwards, hissing with wings outstretched and gathered into a position that makes the Wyvern look larger.
Hooves scramble onto land and splatter sand across her lower legs. A snort sets him off guard, alerting her presence.
Like an abused animal, she flinches when he dives towards her, perching atop her head, sitting proudly behind her horn in the light as if it was his spotlight, demanding all attention be set to his so-called power.
Why did she have to bond with him of all the companions?
"Yes?" Standing hock deep in the water, she takes a moment to look over their visitor. The horn is something different, build compact and heavy, much more refined than her own sloppy mess. One ear turns forward as Hobgoblin snaps at it's mate, swiveling downwards.
"You were yelling, right? Or was there another reason he got mad at you?"
Red eyes glare in the other mare and her companion, leading Sikeax to, for once in her life, actually wish to forcibly remove a form of life from the planet, but that had to be a side effect of having been merged into one from two opposite parts.

OOC: CRASHES THIS at the request of Ali xD

@[Ranjiri] @[Roskuld]
"talk"

Sikeax
sam howzit

you were angels,
so much more than everything

:: please tag me
:: minor force and power play allowed

ranjiri</style>

"Hey! HEY! HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY!!”

For the first time in weeks my sleep was nothing more than a black void. No dreams. No nightmares. Nothing. I slept, completely oblivious to everything around me, from you standing on the other side of the water to Sikeax and her companion. But it all changed. Maybe it was your voice that triggered it or maybe it was just time for another nightmare to hit me hard. Whatever the case my sleep turned from nothing but darkness to cold white snow. It was the same thing all over again, I was trapped in the Basin completely helpless while an electrical storm raged around me.

"...no."

I looked up and saw my dad flying, saw the light glinting off of his metal collar. I saw the flash of lightning and saw it hit him.

"No..."

I screamed and ran and was right there when he hit the ground. I could hear his bones as they broke, hear the ragged inhale and exhale as he breathed. I could even smell his charred flesh and could smell blood. In my dream I looked at my dad's face like I did every time, but every time before his eyes were lifeless. This time .... they were filled with disappointment .... and hatred.

"NO!" I screamed as my mind jolted me awake, then I was scrambling to try and get to my hooves. I stumbled as I stood and almost went down again, but I didn't even notice because there was a burst of light and heat from somewhere behind me that had me spinning around to look. Then I was screaming again as I backed up into the water because there was a lion behind me. And it was on fire. And it terrified me because it wasn't natural.

"Yes?"

"Wh-what?" I stammered, as I stared hard at the flaming lion because I thought it was talking to me. The voice was faint and sounded far away ... but I was looking at a fiery lion. How was I supposed to know what its voice sounded like or if it even had one? I shook my head and blinked my eyes but it was still there.

"You were yelling, right? Or was there another reason he got mad at you?"

"Oh my god, I finally lost my mind." Very slowly I became aware that I wasn't the only one there. I could hear Sikeax's companion and when I finally forced myself to look away from the flaming lion I saw her on the other side and I admit that I panicked a little more because I didn't want to be by myself with that fiery lion. "He-hey!" I yelled to her, glancing at the lion before making my way quickly into the water. "Do you see that?" I was motioning to it with my wing ... but then I realized that she was preoccupied with something else.

So I looked.

And I saw you.

And I forgot about the stupid lion and the fact that I was loosing my mind.

"ROSKULD!"

"."

@[Roskuld] @[Sikeax]
fire lion
yay mini fire spirit lion! :D

Credits

aud pixel!

Okay, pause.

First there were flaming bros.

Now there are water bitches.

….Like, are there theme parties I’m missing or something? Cuz it always feels like I’m meeting the same kinds of people over and over again. Not the same people—the same kinds of people, and I meet ‘em in a series, too, like all at once, so for a while I had been meeting dudes that had flames spitting from their wings and from their dragons’ mouths—

--and now I was seeing all these mares just emerge from the water like what up, ain’t no thing at all, just me rolling in the deep like it’s natural. And maybe it was for them but for me it was still some freaky shit, and defintily the last thing I had been expecting to answer my call.
Well…that and a dragon thing screeching at me from where he had been hovering above the waves.

You flew down as soon as I saw him—I dunno why, but your interest was piqued super hard by the appearance of this dragon (that didn’t actually look like any dragon I’d ever seen, but whatever) so you zoomed your fluffy ass down to me, landing on my poll, perched there trilling and wide-eyed as you took in this thing’s appearance.

And it was at that moment where the water ho girl emerged from the strange new lake thing, like she had just been chillin under there as though oxygen weren’t no issue. I mean. Fuck this was weird.
And you were wondering if there’d be that stuff again, too, that weird thrum of sexual tension that had happened before that had nothing to do with me but had everything to do with water bitches (I guess, in your head, you had associated water girls as sex symbols or whatever, because first impressions are everything I guess). But no, none of that was happening this time. Our attention was drawn to the dragon thing snarling at us like he was, like wanted to start some shit, like he was asking for a fi—

--but then he flew up and landed onto the water girl’s head and something leapt in you but I couldn’t catch what it was in time—

*"You were yelling, right? Or was there another reason he got mad at you?"*

I blinked. “I uh—“ I sorta stammered, wondering what the hell I was gonna say to this chick—but I was cut off by you cuz that thing inside you that had started to rise up was bursting and I could feel and hear the zpsnck! as you morphed right there on my head—

--and suddenly you were heftier and the wind around my head was being tossed around by heavy leather wings and you were gripping my mane tightly with larger, sharper claws and I was saying “ow ow ow chico ow” cuz the sudden shift in weight was doing weird shit with my neck—

--and you were shrieking and it was right in my ear and oh god this was super uncomfortable Cheek but you weren’t paying that much attention to me—
-
-cuz you were looking at that dragon-thing whose form you just copied—

--and you were looking into those red eyes of his with eyes of gold--

--and it was weird and new and wow cuz I’d never known you to be so pissed off before.

And someone was calling my name and my heart was leaping cuz I think I recognized that voice, the way my name rolled off that tongue—but I was kinda stuck at the moment with something sharp and large and angry perched tightly atop my head, roaring a challenge back at a thing that dared glare in our (my) direction.

@[Sikeax] [Chico is copying Hobgoblin's Wyvern form!]

Sikeax the Sea Soul Posts: 355
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 5 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Hobgoblin :: Common Rougarou :: Water & Seoul :: Plain White Dragon :: Toxic Breath Zuno
Talons gather strength and tighten about her head. A sigh parts lips as it occurs, accepting her fate as the Wyvern spills a low hiss in the direction of the stranger. Wings build themselves up along his sides as he works to make himself appear larger, leaning out further as teeth flash from behind curtains.
Sikeax pays him no mind for the time being. This is normal. He'll calm down soon enough. He's only a sensitive, rude, selfish asshole that she happened to be 'lucky' enough to bond to. Her fear and terror of loud noises fed into him, and it was almost as if he had adopted some sort of hatred for those who dare pick their voices up and yell.
Someone else screams. A jump breaks her still and suddenly, she's worried. Was someone hurt across the border? Did she need to check on them? But who would keep up with the visitors on this side of the shore? She couldn't just expect Hobgoblin to go and look.
Well, actually...
She could. Hobgoblin could fly much faster than her and make sure that things were okay there.
Hobgoblin, go check up on the other side of the border."
It doesn't make it through because he isn't listening. At this point, Sikeax could easily be dead and forgotten. The champagne mare was nothing, a lost cause and some ghost from his past that he forgot even existed years ago. Something else had caught his eye and burst something new in him. Excitement roars from his chest like water roaring over a waterfall.
Finally. Something worth playing with.
The weight on her head is concentrated into two places as his weight shifts into his legs. Wings flap, fully extended and held as high as they can go as if he intends to show off his power and beauty. She can only watch in awe as the bird(?) that fell from the sky mimicks Hobgoblin exactly.
She's not the only one.
"Hey!" Hobgoblin roars at this point, as if to set out a challenge to his opponent. Her voice fades in his. "How'd they do that?"
Curiosity is going to be the death of her.

OOC: The only reason I didn't mention Ranjiri is because Sikeax is on the same side as Roskuld, and I'm guessing Ranjiri is on the other side????
@[Roskuld] @[Ranjiri]
Sorry for holding y'all up for so long!
"talk"

Sikeax
sam howzit

you were angels,
so much more than everything

:: please tag me
:: minor force and power play allowed

ranjiri</style>

"ROSKULD!" I kept screaming your name becuase you were there. You had kept your promise to me and had come to the Throat to find me. You kept your promise. You were within my grasp, right there on the other side and I was standing there screaming for you like an idiot, weak and tired and completely unsure if I was strong enough to fly over to you. "Ros..."

The water swirled and rushed around my legs as I stood there and I was more and more tempted to try and swim to you. I turned and looked back at the lion and it was still standing there in the same spot that it had appeared in, just watching me with that same stoic expression on its face. I swallowed and looked back toward you and Sikeax and I could hear the screeching and roaring that sounded completely unnatural. I knew that I had to get to you. I had to make it over there because you had already come so far for me. So I left the water, gave myself enough space so that I could get a running start so I could take to the air and fly over to you.

I did. I ... kinda flew, kinda glided, kinda fell when I finally made it over.

My landing was rough, my legs felt weak, and my breath was shaky as I spun around to face you. When I did my eyes grew wide with a sudden sense of horror because of the thing on your head roaring, the look on your face like it was hurting you, and .... the thing with Sikeax roaring back.

"NO!" I could hear myself yelling over the sound of ... of those things combined roaring. I didn't know what they were, but I assumed that you had gotten a strange companion and Sikeax had, too. "STOP!" And I rushed to put myself between you and the healer, my goal was to stand facing you with my back to Sikeax. "Just stop!" I was terrified that you would end up fighting and I didn't want that to happen. I didn't want Gaucho to come and defend Sia and I didn't want you to get hurt.

It.... it made me angry at the creature on your head and I took to glaring at it, but my glaring was short lived. The lion thing that I thought I had left on the other side suddenly appeared next to me in a burst of heat and light and it had me skittering sideways with the question of "What is that thing?!"

"."

@[Roskuld]

Credits

aud pixel!

My heart was tearing in two—cuz now it wasn’t a mistake anymore. I could hear her calling my name, shrieking in a shrill, desperate way I never wanted to hear again, ever—cuz it meant I wasn’t answering it fast enough, that I was too far away and my ass wasn’t bookin’ it as fast to her as she needed me (and she needed me right then, right then--) but my head was caught in an awkward angle and talons were piercing me in the neck and something heavy was flapping and making my muscles cramp—

--and I had something pissed and scaly and spiky roaring and shrieking in my head—

--and I wasn’t sure how to handle this situation.

“Cheek--Chico--CHEEK—“ I tried calling to you, cuz the mental link was being ignored—or I guess you couldn’t hear me over the crash of your own feelings. Holy shit you was livid—and pumped—and ready, oh so ready for a brawl. I could feel how your blood rushed under your skin and how your nerves jumped excitedly and how good it felt to scream at the top of your throat and feel the power behind it. Your eyes were steady and piercing and glued to the other--rougarou?

Judging by the other mare’s reaction, she was at least kinda familiar with this weird morphing shit, and I guess that angry screaming thing on her head was a shifter too. Which would explain your heightened emotions, cuz other rougarous just get you so excited for anything and everything, a deep, deep pleasure at seeing another who could switch skins as easily as you—

--but there was a deep anger too, and it was confusing me, I didn’t know why you were so pissed--

--but my gaze traveled back to the mare and I looked at her face, at her mane and the little notches going across her neck. Little bits and pieces of her torn from the claws of a red-eyed brat, you were guessing.

And you were not impressed with what you were guessing.

THAT’S ENOUGH, CHICO,” I boomed in my loudest, feeling the thing that was coiling in your breast, ready to strike—but you paid me no mind. I was dead in your head and there was a mission getting settled and I didn’t want you wildin’ out and attacking someone else’s companion on another herd’s borders but that’s exactly what was happening—

--and you launched yourself at the screaming, challenging lizard-thing across from us—you beat your wings and bared your fangs and you were just larger than the other one, larger and a little more regal and just as vicious, just as ready for a brawl--

--and you were too fast for me to stop and I tried to run forward but you were away from me in a flash. Shit, shit, shit-- I didn’t know what to do, I’d never been in this kind of shit before—

--and to make matters worse, there was that voice again, much closer than it was the last time, tearing my heart in two, three, four, too many pieces to bear.

*"NO! STOP! Just stop!"*

He won’t listen to me!! I screamed back, damn-near panicking; I turned and there she was and there were too many things wrong with the way she looked, at the unsteady feel to her, and my entire body cried out to see her—but there was too much going on, too much shit happening in the form of two pointy lizards rallying to duke it out to blood.

@[Sikeax] [Hope you don't mind the "larger" and "more regal" description of Chico's form! Since he's older and Royal I figured it'd be the case!]