the Rift

[OPEN] Heavy Crown

Essetia Posts: 218
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3HH :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Romul :: Arctic Wolf :: Confusion Linds
Essetia & Romul
I needed to calm down, you’re way too bold to love
Golden waves poured down from the autumn sun and tilted across the sand, producing an angelic glow that reminded me of summer. However, the light only reached so far, and dipped so low, until it was coaxed into the waters that surrounded what I assumed to be the Dragon’s Throat. At the water’s edge, small tufts of dried grasses fluttered and bent toward the breeze and I wondered what it would be like to dip a hoof into the lazy tide. Never before had I laid eyes on such dry, natural beauty, and yet I found it to be a place of familiarity. Nay, I had not set foot upon the desert sands, but somehow they beckoned to me with the promise of warmth and fulfillment. So many times I had promised to remain isolated, alone, but then my thoughts would stray to fantasies groomed and nurtured by my past. I was too weak to ignore my addiction for belonging, and though I believed myself a woman with too many stories to tell, I sought a fresh start.

The day was pressing toward high sun and I had travelled most of the night, searching for borders that were not mine, and yet suddenly I was upon them. However, I felt more like a fugitive than a refugee and my role in the Hidden Falls still lurked in my shadow, despite my many protests against its presence. It was like a weight that had fixed itself at my back, like a cart full of rocks asking to be dragged through the bog… What would they see in my heart when they pressed hands to my chest in order to solidify that I still lived? Would they witness the pain I’d suffered in spite of a false smile or would they simply fail to notice the ghostly apparition of the monster I now claimed to be? It was true, I wore my heart so often on my sleeve that I’d forgotten what it was like to wear the mask of indifference. I’d overlooked all my strength and settled on weaknesses that couldn’t be my own.

After all, I wasn’t a Sleuth for the Falls anymore and Midas had died. I could shed my fears in favor of adopting confidence and a new life entirely, even if it felt wrong. Right?

Though I had come in search of something else, there remained the idea of being robbed of such happiness. The World’s Edge, the Hidden Falls, and now the Dragon’s Throat… When would a sense of permanence last longer than the sweet honeymoon of relief? Perhaps that was why I allowed my walls to stand so high and to protect me from all who promised me safety. Security was just a word that implied too many things and I didn’t want my life to be based on assumptions. I wanted to know that if I drew my name in these sands that they would exalt me from fear and abandonment. I wanted to know that their leaders were strong and capable of withstanding invasion… Maybe that made me selfish and my expectations were too large, but what else had I come here for?

As Romul skirted the wide riverbed, I was content to watch him. At times his ears would tilt upward, listening to sounds that even I could not hear. At others, he would pause and lower his snout toward the rocky terracotta, searching for old remnants of those come and gone. I smiled while watching him prance to and fro and the wolf snorted and yipped in response, delighting in my admiration. He was such a beautiful creature and one that I should have naturally feared… but Romul had given himself to my command and I to his. Was that not the point I’d been trying to make to Ulrik all along? We trusted one another in a way that no one else would ever understand and we believed in that security… I no longer had to seek answers to the Engineer’s questions, because they were right here in front of me. I wanted to belong to a place that believed in me just as I believed in them and Romul.

Was the Dragon’s Throat all that I’d been praying for?

Looking to join :3
Image Credit

◄ Please tag Essetia in all replies!
◄ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
◄ Pixel @ SongsOfInfinity

Maren the Crownless Posts: 264
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.0 :: 6 HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Mr. Teatime :: Siberian Tiger :: Sing Yewrezz

Sometimes she wondered what she had left behind in her mountain homeland. What the values of the place had been for her and if they had ever really meant anything. If the memories of laughter and warmth had just been a vision she had thought up, hallucinated to keep herself happy for as long as she could – or at least before the accident; before her own arrogance and stupidity took their toll. Still, why send her away for therapy to people she didn't know from a city she didn't know? Had she been such a bother as a kid? Reliving hell was not the nicest way to chase away that childhood, so thank God for that left-over sanity when that glorifying light came to chase away the darkness from her sight.

But she had turned into a grown-up too early in life, which now only felt like too long ago. Perhaps that was why she still ignorantly felt like she was still owed something. Why she felt like she had the right to act as she pleased from time to time. Still, as much as her inner-child wished for that, she was still an adult now and no memory could magically take her brain to get back such times.

The place that should have been her birthhome, had turned into a place she had simply visited during the many travels of her life. The problems circulating there were not meant for her mind to be troubled with - were not even her right to find troubles in, according to her mother. So she left it. Left that for the rest of this season, too. So that someday she would not even have to make that choice anymore; would have simply forgotten.

Maren opened her eyes as she lay pale-skinned belly-up in her boat, sunbathing, perhaps against better judgement. It wasn't really the season for water-sports anymore, but that would not stop her from taking her boat out to sea. Nevertheless, at the moment she and the vessel lay stranded and still on the beach, the one across from her island-home. Safely hidden and secluded against a huge rock formation. It had been to stormy to take out the boat these past few days, so she had decided to take it easy herself, too. She blinked against the lights of the clouds' outlines as she decided it was time to search for another - perhaps more comfortable - place to nap. Stretching her muscles, the Diviner got her hooves back on the wood. Then, seeming out of nowhere, a white wolf jogged in and out of her vision. She stared at it with wide eyes and muscles tense. Her stark gaze silently followed the canine until the figure of a horse came into sight around the corner of the stone. She let out the breath she had hold in when she noticed they were together.

In an impulse the tigermare stepped out of the vessel and walked through the heavy sand towards the equine. A mare with a recognizable marking around her pale eyes stood still, almost as if she was waiting for something - or someone. The warm tender winds had left them for the eastern ones and their prickling colder edge, and she felt them brushing against her cheek and through her mane as the priestess glanced at the girl standing before her. What is your business here? "I am the Dragon's Throat's Diviner," she announced with the hood of a frown crowning her silent burgundy eyes. "Are you looking to cross?" A wink of a smile stretched out the left corner of her lips for a mere second – Heh, cross...

Talking
Notes: @[Essetia], hope you don't mind her popping in p: (and sorry for forcing some history lesson on you)

Please tag me 

Astrasza Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
[OOC: Popping in for funsies :D]

Shits and giggles, that's all Astrasza's very being is, shits and giggles. It pretty much sums it, up. Her life is a laugh, or so that's how she felt.
She remembered when Bucephalus found her running through the trees making as much noise as possible, then he took her to the throat where she was suppose to be trained by Ampere. Well of course her lazy ass missed out on this, so she gets into her first little spat with some punk pony while patrolling what she thought was Dragon's throat boarders.

And now here she is, crawling home on tired feet with a pissed off expression. Her left wing dragging across the sand behind her. Returning to the heated desert (which is thankfully cooling quickly due to the change of seasons).
Astra's nostrils quivered as she groaned a snort from her nose, an irritable sigh. She didn't want to see anyone, at least not until she could lift her wing and make it look like nothing happened. Her pride was bruised enough from losing the fight, at the very least no one should know about it. She wanted no one but herself and the bitch Roskuld to know how that fight went.

But alas, as typical in nature what she doesn't need right now is going to happen. The boarders in sight, each step carried her closer to the gates of the Throat.
Oh no, there in the distance; two figures warped by the heat rising off the sand. As if things couldn't get worse. Well they can, there's no getting around this wall--she can't fly--she'll need to be let in by a keeper. Which means someone's going to see her fantastic new injury.
The figures grow larger as she gets closer.

I'll make up a story, I was attacked by a bear! One with... wings... and claws for hands. Yep, sounds good!
As the figures take shape, the unmistakable form of Maren was recognized. But the other? Who?
A badger faced bay mare with... oh dear lord that's a wolf. Astrasza immediately realized the bay mare was not part of the Throat herd. But then who is she? What's she's doing here? And for God sakes why's she dragging around that corrupt beast? Doesn't she knew wolves eat horses?

Astra tried to lift her wing as she approached but with an agonizing grunt it fell limply back to the ground. Fuck.
She picked up her head over her shoulders, bowing her neck, and stuck her chest out. Remember, you lost to a bear!
"Eeey! What's goin' on around here?"
Astra questioned loosely, trying not to startle anyone.

Essetia & Romul
Someone’s here…” Romul urges softly.

His words don’t come as a surprise, but they are strained, if guarded even. However, I don’t let his tension or wariness impact me as I’d done too many times before. In fact, it is only natural that we’d be discovered within mere moments, as bold as our approach had certainly appeared. Yet, it was still mildly disconcerting for me because I had come under the presumption that I’d have time to prepare. Upon seeing the island drifting off in the distance, with the water’s reflection casting strange yellow waves against its shore, I had anticipated a few hours to acclimate myself to the idea of belonging there. But, our time was up and the shadows had been pushed back by the light of day- it was time to sing or lower the curtain.

When the white wolf had managed to sidle up against me, his golden eyes peering off in the unknown future, I murmured softly against his titled ear. He responded in kind with an excited yelp before settling onto his stomach, alert. It was then that the lovely tiger-mare rounded the dusty rock formation in which she’d been hidden from view. She was quite literally angelic, a vision of heavenly light, that appeared all too out of place against the desert backdrop. However, before she could press me with question or introduction, I traced a path from her white-lashed eyes toward the fragile wings perched just behind her ears. It was almost cathartic to me, to find that my father had not been the only one blessed with dysfunction, despite the lingering distrust I suffered at the mere mention of his name. The past was not something that would ever let me live without its tainted grace and this mare was just another memory, painted with a different face.

The faintest whisper of a foreign tongue tickles my ears when the mare speaks and there is something forceful in the way she greets me. I bristle slightly against the soft grin that follows before nodding slowly, noting the woman’s reluctance to give her name. It appeared unfeeling that the Diviner would lead with rank instead of proper introduction, but in allowing her the benefit of the doubt, she had no idea who I was or what I’d come for. I assumed that she required some level of respect, given her position, before welcoming conversation or anything thereof. “Indeed,” I replied vaguely. “Though, I come looking to join you more than anything,” I concluded softly, attempting to appear more pliant than defensive. However, I figured that if the Diviner had any reason to send me away, it would arise simply because I refused to bow to her rank rather than to her name. I didn’t want tension and I didn’t want discord so I supplied her with a brusque smile before adding, “I’m Essetia and this is Romul.

The wolf lifted his eyes toward the mare at his mention and remained silent due to my anxiety and mild sense of feeling unwelcome. Yet, before I could indulge the awkward sensation born of our apprehensive meeting, another winged woman (albeit questionably injured) found her way to our company. She was more amiable than the Diviner, though perhaps a bit rough around the edges. “I wasn’t aware anything was going on?” I answered confusedly. “Are you- are you okay?” It was the least I could do considering I wished to be granted entry to the Dragon’s Throat… Now was as a good a time as any to get acquainted to those I might call… family?

@[Maren] @[Astrasza]
Image Credit

Petty priestess-puns aside, the mare seemed to enjoy herself, she noticed, as something which could count as a smile swept over the strangers lips. Maren answered it with an extra blink with her white lashes under a slight frown.

"Indeed"

...Okay, the thought following up after the single word had tossed and turned a couple of times inside her head. But the girl with the wolf re-opened her mouth. Her eyebrows rose slightly, grew curious for what kind of interesting things the mare was about to fill up her inside storage of wisdom with now. Then everything became clear. A light chuckle left her curling lips as her wings relaxed and dropped to hang lazily next to her cheeks. "Ah, welcome, then. With the invasion still fresh in our minds we are all still a bit... on edge." She smiled silently, but secretly content about her own idiotic but subtle wit. The tigermare nodded once at both. "Essetia... Romul," she tried the names with her foreign tongue. "My name is...-"

Maren's distracted ears swiftly swung around into the direction of the new arrival. It was a girl from her own family, one whose name she had forgotten - But it wasn't important now, as the mare was dragging her left wing alongside her; wounded. "There wasn't anything going on", she murmured under her breath as she watched the fallen soldier crawl closer. What happened to her? Where they getting invaded? Has she been attacked while on patrol?

But the girl was smiling happily and greeting them with enthusiasm, so either she was retarded or what happened to her wasn't important enough to discuss - or so the flaxen chestnut mare seemed to think. ...Okay,she thought a second time, creating a thoughtful frown. "This is Essetia and her companion Romul. They will be," she couldn't look at Astrasza without gaping at her wound. "Joining our family," she concluded distracted. The diviner cleared her throat, not very subtly moving onto a new topic. "How was... Patrol?" Question-marks continued flickering like neon signs in her suspicious narrowed eyes. Whatever it was, this girl would be needing a key.

But in the back of her mind she had already started boiling the familiar soup of doubt concerning the magic bridge. For what if Maren hadn't been here - or hadn't been able to provide her a key? The grounded bird would've been locked out of her home; wounded and in need of help she wouldn't be able to get. So as her eyes drifted along with her speculations, the priestess clenched her teeth.

Talking
Notes: @[Astrasza], @[Essetia]

Please tag me 

Essetia & Romul
There is a slight pause or a single moment in which the Diviner does not know what to make of me and that in itself makes me chuckle. It is a soft sound that trills like a songbird fluttering just above the heated sands. One might call it a moment of weakness while another might peg me a nervous intruder, but I knew in my heart of hearts that it was because she feared what I might do. The Priestess certainly didn’t look the warrior part, what with her soft charisma and slightly guarded nature, and it became apparent to me that if I were to pass into the Throat I would have to put her mind at ease. However, her satin gowns shift marginally when I admit my purpose for approaching her borders and there is a sudden glow in the way she regards me, a more proper understanding that gives her comfort. I stare openly at her as the pale wings behind her ears relax, going limp at the base, and reach down to brush the white of her cheeks. She laughs at this –a most lovely crescendo- and the trace of a smile follows shortly thereafter.

I nod slightly, an indication that I somehow understand, before she proffers explanation for her strange behavior. However, her response is neither one I expect nor one I rightly admire… The invasion of the Hidden Falls has little to do with the Dragon’s Throat- and then I wonder what she knows. What information can she supply me about the loss of my home and the death of Midas? What does this Diviner hold privy that I do not?

My eyes seem to wax over and soon I am seeing the world in a hazy fog of confusion. With news of the war still so fresh on my mind, I have to know how its devastation has travelled so fast. “That is understandable,” I reply vaguely. “I guess one can’t be certain who they can trust,” I add bitterly on a short breath. While the Priestess turns to acknowledge Romul, I attempt to rein in the heat of my anger at her mention of the Falls. It’s not her fault that I have lost so much and that I bear so much weight… but I am still glad to see that she misses the subtle clenching of my jaw and the tightness in my shoulders. I do not want to make a bad first impression by any means.

When the winged girl arrived I had thought very little about her introduction, or lack thereof, but the Diviner seems to think differently of the mare. She studies her injured appendage as if it might just offend her and the bite of her tongue makes me believe that she is just as judgmental as she is kind. I cannot read her face as she responds to the other’s inquiry, but at least her answer is truthful. Nothing is going on here… at least not to my knowledge. Whatever opinion she harbored of the situation was moot anyways. I had but two things on my mind, none of which involving the wounded Pegasus.

I allow the Priestess to introduce Romul and I to the flaxen mare, as if we are incapable of doing it ourselves, and I smile as politely as my concentration will allow. However, I bring my gaze again to the Diviner (of whom I assume has no name) when she relays my intentions of “joining their family”. It’s not a lie, I tell myself, but it’s not exactly the truth either. I feel it is more of a half-thought that came from a desire to seek out security… I didn’t need another family or another set of faces to forget. I had lost the last one; I wouldn’t do it again. For a time I am content to listen distractedly to their banter, if only to plan how I might entreat the fine Priestess to tell me what she knows about the invasion.

@[Maren] @[Astrasza] -- Skipped over you dear
Image Credit

[---]

After a bit she concluded: Well, this girl is going to be okay, so she returned her attention through an alabaster head back to the mare with the wolf. Even after their proper introductions, somehow Maren couldn't help feeling like she was still looking looking at her through a layer of mist. The gold in her gaze fell quiet as she glanced back at the dark bay. Sure, her words were true, logically correct but would've lacked a point if it hadn't been for her bitter tone lining it. "That's why they call it trust." she said, suddenly sinking away into a frown. But what? What is it that your bitter tones point towards? She sounded like she had either climbed trees to high for her to climb, and fallen, or she had climbed a tree and trusted branches to hold her weight, but couldn't and had fallen. "I want to hear your story," because she was always interested in story's. As long as they held meaning to the speaker, at least - and many other vital components. (One who wishes to learn could, after all, never be too critical.)

Her glance fell on the Dragon's Throat, resting sleepily on the horizon as the ocean pulled itself around it. "Why not walk for a bit," she finally said. And without further ado the priestess hooves started dragging themselves through the heavy sand, autumn wind following in her hoof prints. The beach, sun-washed and golden, warm, although she knew it was even warmer on the island. Still, now that summer had gone it had gotten a lot easier to endure - could even say it was nice. Now she was only quietly left wondering if the girl and the snowy white wolf would think that, too.

Talking
Notes: @[Essetia] my next reply will be much and much quicker ; v ;

Please tag me 

Essetia & Romul
She had eyes of sooty amber. They were painted with depth and curiosity, wisdom and understanding… But what did they see when she looked at me? What could they tell from the storm that raged behind my wild eyes? What could she determine from the way Romul stood guard over the temple ruins that were me? They were all questions that kept my mind from straying too far from the Diviner and all her oddities. A priestess with tiger stripes the color of rust, threaded in the faintest traces of red –of blood- and deep brown, with peculiar wings to match… She was quite extravagant and heavily decorated for a holy servant of the Gods. But it made me wonder if they’d foreseen my plight and sent the priestess to my aid. Maybe they’d warned her of how this casualty of war would come to find her way to the Throat. Then again, I hoped she was just as blind as the rest of us… I hoped she was too ignorant to see any more than I allowed.

Of course, I could also appreciate her wit and mild indifference when it came to my unwillingness to amuse her. “Fair enough,” I replied with a grimace. The Diviner certainly appeared to be a mare who kept to her own opinions and judgements, which was quickly becoming something I’d come to characterize her by. However, I wasn’t all too enthused when she thought it smart to question where I’d come from. We’d discussed the importance of trust, but that didn’t mean that I’d give it away so freely… Of course, I didn’t need the Gods condemning me for lying to a member of their counsel. The truth was the truth no matter how much of it was shared. The priestess was lucky enough that I hadn’t openly lied to her yet.

My story?” I questioned amusedly. “I’m not sure you’ll learn anything of significance from it,” I assured before watching her gaze dance across the sands. It took the mare a moment to consider a plan of action, but she soon invited me to join her upon the dunes that surrounded the Dragon’s Throat and I complied if only to please her. Romul took my consent to be permission to again wander ahead of the Diviner and I, and I watched as he wandered about scouting out strange scents and frequented routes leading up to the water’s edge. “Perhaps it would be best if I knew your name before telling you my story?” I pressed as we began to trail the borders of her home. “I’m sure you understand my hesitation, given we’ve only just met.” It was a statement that carried the weight of an accusation and perhaps the barbs of my defensive nature, but if I had anything at all, it was most certainly a point.

As we ambled down the shore, I watched as the sun grew faint and hazy as if nightfall would come soon enough. But it was something I would welcome after a day spent so close to the desert. I wasn’t sure if I would become accustomed to the boiling temperatures that the land entailed, but I was determined to make it… real. “I’m no one of importance really. I was born in the World’s Edge– surely you’ve heard of it? I didn’t stay there long and have only recently returned to Helovia… Romul was always quite partial to the place,” I supplied with a slight sigh. “Ever since then I’ve been content to roam where I might and sleep where I liked,” I finished curtly. The truth is what you make it and I hadn’t lied…

What about you? What’s your story?” I questioned nonchalantly. “You said something about an invasion… Did the Dragon’s Throat participate?” I’d managed to insert enough curiosity where it applied and drew enough lines so that the Diviner might be directed away from the subtle brimming anger that threatened to overwhelm me. I hadn’t seen the invasion myself and knew only that the Edge and the Basin had come together… Had the Throat been a part of robbing me of my home in the Falls as well? These were all questions I knew the Priestess could answer.

@[Maren] @[Astrasza]
Image Credit

“My story?” Essetia questioned with promising amusement to her voice and Maren's ears fell into her direction a bit more. Perhaps the waterfall of a prospering tale would fall down over her in warm shimmering diamonds. But then that plight stumbled over its own feet as she took down the idea of it being interesting – or anything worth listening to. And thus her white ears fell into their normal position again, obviously disappointed, and Maren’s thoughtful gaze wondered off to the golden shimmering dunes. A stinging autumn wind falling upon her instead. Still, the bay girl agreed to walk with her.

As they walked along the shoreline the white wolf sprung into vision a couple times more, sniffing the sand, perhaps hunting down hidden treasures from times forgotten. Or bones. Either way, the white fluffy ball should’ve been a story on itself. “My name?” She mumbled against the air. Haven’t I told – No, I forgot. Such unimportance it was, after all. “Maren”, for it was the fact that she was a Diviner that actually was relevant. But the girl thought it was, so there would be no point in disrespecting that – Also now she could tell her a story. And she liked stories. Still, the girl confused Maren once again. “Hesitation?” she mumbled to the autumn air, again. Then her alabaster head turned to the mare, a frown crowning her eyes. Why are you on the defence about a trivial thing like this? “We just met, but you want to share my family. You are joining our kin.” Nevertheless in the pale purples of her eyes shimmered some kind of understanding. So, with a new kind of caring layer brightening up her outlandish voice, she said with a firmness of a strict mother: “And thus we are family now. From now on, I and my family will be there for you. Either you trust that or you don’t.” Then she turned her alabaster head to watch the wolf do his wolf-thing again.

Eyes buried in thought as the day slowly started to turn their back on them. But then – she felt it – something opened up once the voice of the mare, Essetia, flushed down her ears, like a waterfall. Perhaps. “I have,” she answered softly when she asked if she had heard of the World’s Edge. Of course the wolf would’ve liked the place. He was practically the mist himself. Perhaps that was why she enjoyed watching him hop about so much. But she herself didn’t need the mist, for the mist were with her at all times. She simple had to call them. Nevertheless, the mare seemed conflicted. It was not really an ending she liked. It was too… Standard – too… Empty.

The diviner glanced sideways from time to time, to maybe unravel the expressions on her face. But Maren had never been to good with that. Then, however, the girl questioned her about her story. And that made her think. Also because straight after she asked about the invasion. “Ah, the invasion. We didn’t fight, if that’s what you mean, but we all worried. We were uneasy – we were all walking on our toes – We participated,” she ended in a slight whisper.

That was partly a lie, since she had not really felt the worry, felt the desire to participate – had seen the logic in not doing so. Still, she had seen the faces on other’s when the announcement was made at the herd-meeting a season ago. She had felt the uneasiness in the group when they realized they were to stand by. Maren, however, liked the side-lines, for why would she have interfered? The God had not asked her to, Gaucho had not asked her, her own heart had not asked her. There had not been anything of importance for her in that slowly crumbling scale – Even though she had tried to care for the consequences which would fall over their state of peace – Why? She still could not see any importance in it. All that it had left her with was a mess of insignificance, a scrambled bunch of pictures – memories – of kings and queens; crawling to crowns not meant to be on top of any of those heads clawing their paws at it. Or at least not by those means.

“My story, however, has nothing much to do with the invasion. But since you are new to our herd, it might help you find your path. So I’ll tell you.” Because why not? Sitting in the thoughts of the new World’s Edge was not something worth of any significance. But I can’t shove it out, either… For watching the contestants being chosen, had somehow made her a participant, too.

“I originally come from Deneb, a mountain-monarchy very far from here. From a young age I turned to a path of travelling, though. I preferred learning the ways of my religion over that of sovereignty, so I set out, spend my time with peoples of different origins and learned about not only spirituality – For the world was my teacher, and seeing that strengthened my beliefs and enlightened me in my ways.” It was a lot of bla-bla, but Maren’s gaze sunk back into the bright part of her past without any problems. She couldn’t help it. (Of course the moral of the story would come later, but one needed the boring parts first). “I came across a great variation of cultures, ways of living, divinities, sciences, skills… – It is really unbelievable what the world has to over – before I settled down for a year in a swamp quite close to Helovia, actually,” but a distant shimmering in her eyes crowned by a deepened frown marked the crossing of a path from light to dark. “Life gives us what it gives, and without any bad, there wouldn’t have been any good. For, If not for certain (private) happenings that escalated in the swamp, I would have stayed there to never get as far as Helovia. If not for that negativity in my life, I would not have found the Dragon’s Throat and I would not have become a disciple for the Sun.” Maren turned her alabaster head to the mare to give her a swift smile. Eyes still hooded by that frown. “After that, however, began my real spiritual journey. You see, I found that a choice was made for me (by the Gods); one of a very high importance, but one that I did not understand. And so I struggled against it for a while, let it pull me away, tackle me and let me fall into dusts. For why would I be a disciple for the Sun? Was my question – And I won’t bore you with the details – but I only found out in the end, that I needed the enlightenment of the Sun to see my true belief, to find my true path – which I believe will lead me to the Purpose I am meant to fulfil.”

Maren’s gaze wandered the dunes, looked how the silhouettes of shadows stretched themselves under a setting sun. “You might have suffered from something that might not seem fair to you now, but just see…” she said. “First watch where it brings you, before you let your judgement cloud your eyes.”

Because, even though the diviner wasn’t that good at deciphering expressions, Essetia’s random frustrations, lack of excitement and distrust had been hard to miss.

“Anyway, if you still want to join, let me make you a key for the bridge”, the priestess offered as she stretched out her wings and jawned. For, after all, she had never meant to get strangled up in meeting this girl today; she had simply wanted to nap.

@[Essetia]
Notes:

Please tag me 

Essetia & Romul
Maren: a sensible name for a sensible creature. She seemed intelligent or sharp to be more precise and yet, somehow distant as if she were living far from the present… maybe in the past somewhere or even the future, but certainly not here. I couldn’t decipher which was more accurate and honestly had no motivation to know, even if the cryptic Diviner intrigued me at times. The way that she questioned and pushed me was enough to insure that Maren was always in search of knowledge or understanding. If a puzzle was set before her, she would solve it… which made me believe that it wouldn’t be long before she uncovered exactly where I’d come from. But did it truly matter what was behind me so much as what was before me? I hadn’t proven myself an ally just yet, but I hadn’t given her any reason to think I might be the enemy. In a way Maren and I were similar… we put reality before fantasy and our dreams before all the rest. I respected her for that- or at least I respected my own assumptions on the matter. Truth was what we told one another, but truth had a different meaning for everyone.

However, she seemed perplexed by my reluctance or my uncertainty rather. Hesitation? It was a single word that meant so many things, though only small things in my mind, and yet she focused on it as if I’d whispered secrets to her that no one else knew. Perhaps I’d done just that or perhaps I was hoping she’d catch the soft dipping of my voice and the sorrow that filled its hole. Either way, I couldn’t find the words to answer her question and instead let her curiosity –still unanswered- drift easily away upon the dry, desert breeze.

A beautiful name,” I complimented instead, despite her unwillingness to let my complexities fall by the wayside. The Diviner was anything but dense and all the twists and turns I’d suffered to divert her did little to sway her determination. It seemed to her that kin was about trust and with trust came answers to questions of every depth. Yet, she didn’t know what images she was digging up and the bones she would find were everything but straightforward. “Family is a concept that I understand well,” I stated as we walked side by side. “But also something that is more than a word that stitches us together by law,” I continued with a slight grimace. “You stand beside me and call me kin, but what is it that compels you to say that? What have I done to earn such a bond?” I asked. I turned for a moment to study her as we talked and as we shared more about ourselves than we’d ever planned to do on such a bright and sunny, autumn day. “Forgive me, it is not my intent to offend, but I am truly curious. You say so much so easily… -I can only hope for it to be true,” I finished breathlessly.

For a time I let my words take shape in her mind and for what seemed to be an eternity we were both content to memorize the dunes and the sand and all of the land that made up the borders of our home. Was there another word for such a place? Would it be our refuge more aptly or just a prison in which we inhabited of our own free will…? Either way, its concept was anything but clear now… Maren had made sure of that.

I hadn’t been expecting her to know much of the Edge and from the way she said it, it was likely I was right. However, the topic of the invasion was another mountain entirely. Her knowledge was like standing at the peak and wondering if I could jump… It was like asking myself if I would rather fight to survive or freefall into something bigger than I was. Every word that passed her pale lips was like a barb –one that splintered deep inside- and opened a fresh wound across the surface of my heart. They could have saved the Hidden Falls… they could have stopped the war. But they didn’t and here I was, still estimating the distance between myself and the ground. “I suppose every great monument must fall at some time or another,” I stated grimly. Even stone could be eroded by water.

Before I could reconcile with my emotions and before I could pity myself for what I’d lost, the Diviner found a slip in the silence in which to insert her wisdom. It’s not that I hadn’t expected a sermon of sorts, but I’d wanted to grieve and to mourn and to wallow in my hurt. I guessed it was Maren’s way of bridging the gap between us and I was grateful, I was, but still sore and still silent as she regaled me with her past. She had come from a place called Deneb, a natural wanderer from what I could tell, and discovered the hardships of life in the wilds outside Helovia. It wasn’t so much the story as the lesson it embodied that was entirely relevant. Somewhere behind those burgundy-flecked eyes, I found a sense of understanding or a shaft of light that meant she knew more than she let on. I nodded slowly at the Diviner with her strange, outlandish wings and smiled.

Thank you,” I whispered forlornly. Thank you for seeing what others could not.I would still love to join you…

@[Maren]
Image Credit