the Rift

Oh, Parentless Youth [AW]

Azeen "Zelda" Gale Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
(OOC: I've no table yet, but I'll soon be fixing that with a basic one.)

It wasn't as if she was doing anything wrong, but Azeen was nervous. Her long legs went along awkwardly, walking with sharp jerks like youths did, in a way that only adults seemed to notice and foals were oblivious to. Her large eyes gazed at the greenery about her, curious in all things. What was in this land? Was she in a completely different place from before? The land had forced her to walk this way, so she could only assume she walked through some kind of mountain pass. Still, she had never seen a mountain so green. Perhaps she had already gone by it already.

Azeen was a filly who was obviously maybe 5 or six months old. She didn't look to be getting too big, as far as adults went, though her fleabitten coat naturally made her look bigger than she was. Settled on her back was a set of cherub wings, their tops fluffed with down and their size almost comical in comparison to her. On their tips was the only solid black that graced her features.

Though young, the youth was somehow without a mare. No adult walked with her, and while this might worry some, it didn't even cross her mind. She had been weaned earlier than most youths should be, and the lack of parents pretty much all her life was not only perplexing, it was a miracle. After all, how had she managed to survive all this time? Even more confusing was her utter lack of knowledge about parents, something which caused her ignorance to extend into all matters.

Curious, but excited, the youth bound forward, her wide eyes- one blue, and one brown- gazing at everything. With a sudden burst of energy, she tore into a gallop, throwing her back and neck into it as she raced across the grass, weaving through the trees at what she thought was a clever pace. Dodging too close to a tree, however, her hoof caught on the bark, and she was sent tumbling eventually landing on her side, her legs all tangled up.

"Dang it." Azeen sighed, trying to pull her legs apart so she could stand again, though she knew she was tired. "I don't know whether I should do it more to learn, or stop trying!"

Leander the LionHeart Posts: 184
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 8
Epona

Leander's golden frame drifted through the trees. The leave shook above him, all ablaze with their bright death. Orangemoon would soon give way to the cold of Frostfall, and the trees would lose their color to become barren skeletons. A soft sigh escaped his sooty nostrils as he slowly trotted. His heart was still troubled by it's likely fatal desire; the kind of sickening want you get for something you know you will never have, without much less than a miracle. It burned within his chest. If only he could just choose to forget about the midnight Unicorn girl. If only.

Bronze ears perked at the rustling sounds of movement in the distance. Soon, the emergence of a small, pale form caught his caramel eye. A filly, racing around in a ruckus way that only a foal could. White rimmed pools softened above his smile at the young life. His grin faltered, the little thing went to recklessly round the trees and ended up on the ground. Leander nearly opened his mouth to ask if she was aright, but the girl spoke up to advise herself. "Practice makes perfect, they say!" The brawny stallion chuckled warmly. "You took quite a spill there! Best watch your hooves around these parts. My name is Leander. What's your name, my lady?" He greeted the child with friendly, respectful tones. He was a towering sight, but hopefully the young one would be more curious then afraid. He had always been partial to foals, but didn't often spend time around ones so young. His life had been a warrior's life, not usually a place for children. As he got closer to the filly, the soldier noted her multi-colored eyes and early wings. A glance around the wood revealed no others. Where was the babe's dam?

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies

The day was beautiful. It was one of those lovely Orangemoon days where it was warm, but not hot, and a cool breeze drifted across the landscape. It was this breeze which provided a path for Sohalia, and she glided along with it peacefully, her snowy wings stretched to catch the rising warmth of the earth. This paired with the breeze made for easy flying, and was the reason that the white femme loved the Orangemoon season. How lovely it was to have this weather day after day, to watch the leaves turn from their lush emerald to their dry dusk colors, even to watch them fall; for Sohalia, such things signified new growth and beauty. After all, there would be no spring without the fall.

As she drifted overhead, she began to make out several landmarks below. She had only been in Helovia a few days, herself, but already she was aching to explore more of this beautiful land. And so she had flown, winding her way around herdlands, avoiding most of both her own kind and the others. What was the point, when they would either be taken from you or leave you? The bitter thought had only just registered when it was swept out of her cranium by the wind. Why think of such horrible things on such a wonderful day as this? The sun was shining, she was alive, and she was doing what she loved most. Below, the Threshold became recognizable, as this was how she had come into Helovia. Looking at it now, she was almost sure that most arrived this way. The mountains laid out a trail, so easy to follow, such that one would follow their base without thinking.

She was high, floating amongst the several afternoon clouds. She wound her way lazily through them, then decided to take a look at the Threshold on the ground. The mare folded her wings tightly against her body and dropped like a stone, free falling towards the merciless ground. She particularly loved this sensation, the wind whipping her banner, the exhilaration of the fall, even then lack of control; all combined into a complete adrenaline rush that she had yet to match in all her travels. Nearing the ground quickly, her wings opened with a slight snap! and her descent slowed. Easily, she navigated her way through the treetops and into a clearing.

She flared her wings, her feet hitting the ground and digging in instantly, her haunches practically making contact with the earth in her sudden stop. Dirt flew. An unintentional snort left her. She could have landed more gracefully, but an errant sight had brought her up short. A small, fleabitten youngling was galavanting through the trees in front of her. A tumble left the small pegasus, her wings so adorably small, so reminiscent of Sohalia's own youth, sprawled in a most comical fashion. Sohalia looked around quickly, concerned; where were this girl's parents? How could they let her wander about alone? Didn't they know anything of the perils of the world? She took a deep breath and, sure enough, couldn't catch any other scents on the breeze.

The pale femme trotted forward quickly, determined to catch up for the youngling. She would need someone to watch after her, in this strange new land. It would be all too easy for her to wander into the wrong hands. She had just opened her maw to call out to her, but shut it when another Pegasus appeared. Perhaps this was her father? A frown. They didn't look particularly alike, but stranger things had happened... but their scents were so dissimilar, and he looked perplexed as well, and something told Sohalia that he had no knowledge of the young flicka before this moment. Her trot turned into a canter, and she swept up beside the youngling, her wings slightly extended in a protective, but not aggressive way.

"What in the world are you doing out here on your own, youngling?" Sohalia scolded gently. A glance at the male was suspicious, wary, but also curious. It had, after all, been quite a while since the mare had had another's company. And the sooty palomino stallion did not seem menacing. Her wings folded, ruffling slightly as they settled against her ivory bodice. Sohalia had not managed to catch any of their conversation prior to her arrival, and so she waited attentively for the young one's answer. Should the little grey have a family around, Sohalia would return her to them; if not, she was not letting the flicka out of her sight.

Walk walk walk.
Talk talk talk.
Think think think.

Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Unregistered
I adore your guys' writing! ^_^

She didn't notice the noise of hooves, nor did she register that all her energy and romping might attract others. Aveen was innocent in that she did not suspect ill of the world, and so only those who knew her would note the strangeness of her getting to her feet very quickly when she heard someone talk. For a moment, she wondered at the fast beating of her startled heart, and then she was lost in other thoughts.

There was a stallion with a golden coat, but who almost looked as if some of his hair had been singed. The young filly tilted her head to the side in curiosity and blinked her odd-colored eyes. Then she smiled, jumping about on the spot and somehow managing not to fall over again.

"I guess I should keep trying, then!" She giggled, and her grin grew ever wider with the male's introduction. "I'm Azeen. Pleased to meet you, Leander!"

It was at that point that another form rushed over, and Azeen was startled once more. Her legs spread out in an awkward fashion, accenting how gangly she was as she spontaneously lowered her frame closer to the ground. The youth looked up at the form that stood tall next to her, a large white wing curled over the filly. At first, Azeen wondered if she had done something wrong. Then she saw that the movement was a protective one, and she was intrigued once again. She watched the mare next to her, who seemed to be an almost snowy white, including her wings. Azeen glanced at her own wings, cute and useless by comparison. For a moment, she frowned, a pang of longing hitting her. She knew wings were meant for flying, but Azeen had never been able to do such a thing.

"Huh?" The mare's question brought Azeen out of her thoughts as she straightened herself. "Oh, I'm just wandering around. I've never been here before, so I thought I'd check it out!"

She shook herself as if excited. Still, the most troubling thing was that she completely missed the problem of being alone. She hadn't noticed that she was supposed to have an adult with her, and so her answer was a bit strange.

Hidden Account
Epona

The filly smiled at him with almost contagious enthusiasm. It was good to see such innocence and joy, especially in the midst of all the problems he'd encountered lately. "The pleasure is mine, miss Azeen." He dawned a grin and bowed his head politely at the child. She was ivory, flecked with darker specks, with tiny wings crowning her back. Leander wondered if the filly had learned to fly yet; by the looks of her coordination on the ground, he doubted it. Fondly, he remembered his own youth. Up until the attack which left him a scarred haunch, it had been a pleasant time. Dark, feathered limbs carried him closer to the little one, only to stop mid-step at the entrance of another.

A white winged form dashed up next to the babe. At first, he assumed that this was the foal's mother, judging by her instantly protective stance. But once the dame spoke, it was clear that it wasn't so. The pearly maiden gave him a nervous look. Frightened, likely, at his looming sight. Carefully, Leander studied the mare. The pegasus doe would have been what he would have called beautiful, had his heart not been longing for someone it shouldn't. Sighing, the palomino took a step away from her. "I was just about to ask the same thing. I'm Leander, a Warrior of the Dragon's Throat." Gold eyes flashed in the grown female's direction, with warmth and undertones of pride at the mention of his title. There was no scent of herd-lands on either the mare or the filly. Were they both homeless?

[OOC | Thanks Shieb! Azeen is just so darn cute! <3]

The mare studied the stallion intently, fairly sure now that he was no threat to the young flicka. She settled herself, a soft sigh leaving her maw. A small chuckle coursed through her at the youngling's cheerfulness, her almost comical physical reactions to even the smallest of things. But the filly's words were troubling to Sohalia. "I'm just wandering around..." So, no parents, then. The little grey was far too comfortable with her surroundings: there were no glances through the trees, no discomfort on being on her own. A parent would have taught her these things, surely - Sohalia's parents had taught her, after all, though she'd only had them for a few short months.

The ivory fae shook her head, sending her silken banner flying. It caught in the breeze before settling once more against her nape. "Forgive me, Leander," she said with a dip of her head to the palomino, "I seem to have forgotten my manners. My name is Sohalia. I am not affiliated with a herd as such," she added, knowing that newcomers from the Threshold were often offered homes. Such things were not for her, wary as she was of strangers. She preferred her relative solitude, coming into contact with others on her terms and her terms only. It wasn't that she enjoyed being alone, exactly, just that she didn't want to be trapped in any one place, pledged to any leader, destined to fight and die for a home.

Turning her attention back to the filly, she spoke again. "Now, Little Grey," the affection that the mare felt towards orphaned young manifested itself into a new nickname, "Where have you come from, and have you any parents?" A silly question, it seemed - every foal has parents, after all. It is a prerequisite to their existence. But it was a question that Sohalia had to ask the roaming youngling, one that would determine her course of action. Perhaps they had been separated, and the flicka's bright demeanor had kept her from feeling such pain? Or perhaps she hadn't known her parents, and had been raised by a foster mare - such a story was familiar to the snowy Pegasus. But then, where would such a mare be now? So many questions surrounded the little grey. Surely she wasn't the only one who wanted the answers, not if Leander was curious about the filly, too.

Walk walk walk.
Talk talk talk.
Think think think.

Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Unregistered
Sorry for being gone so long, people. I moved and I had no internets... ^_^' I'm back now, though! Sorry for the lame reply.

"Hello, then, Leander!"

She smiled at him, but turned curiously to watch the mare next to her speak. The mare was unusually close- Azeen wasn't used to anything being so protective over her- and so she was a bit nervous and wanted to move away. She settled for turning so she could view both of them at the same time while gaining some space.

This mare was called Sohalia, and she seemed a little sorry for her reaction. Azeen found it strange how she was not apologized to. She could still feel her heart beating a little crazily on her chest, but she supposed this was not so strange. At least Sohalia was not aggressive towards her.

"Now, little Grey." Azeen looked at the mare that was talking to her.

"My name's Azeen." The youth insisted, wondering for a moment if she hadn't heard, and then remembering that the mare had landed here after that conversation.

"I came from... that way." She turned dynamically to face the direction of where she was walking from. "Parents? I have no parents!"

The youth said this plainly. There was no tremor of fear or loss, and she didn't seem to think it was all that strange. While Azeen knew that most foals should run with at least their mothers, and even though she recognized memories of her own parents, they were fleeting and inconsequential. She had no parents now, though. She hadn't for a while. That seemed to make sense to her, although it shouldn't at her age.

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think

CREDITS:: horse - confed4life @dA :: wings - solarka-stock @dA :: background - valarian-warrior @dA :: manip, table - rayodesoleil @dA

Hidden Account
Epona

Leander gave the child an amused grin as she greeted him a second time. She certainly was a cute little thing. He remembered many things about his own youth, and he wondered what the little grey filly thought of all this. She didn't seemed too perturbed, just curious. The white mare, on the other hand, seemed quite concerned about the well being of the foal. He was surprised as the lady professed that she was a loner. This Frostfall would certainly be hard for the mare all alone.

"Pleased to meet you, Sohalia. If you ever need a place to stay or a herd to call home, the Dragon's Throat would welcome you." He glanced around at the beginnings of falling snow, hoping the dame might take up some kind of shelter during this harsh season. She certainly seemed capable, but no one was safe out in the wilderness during blizzards and Gods knew what else. Russet wings shifted on his back, the warmth of his downy plumage warming his sides. Wings were good for so many things. He listened with attentive auds as little Azeen answered Sohalia. No parents? Honey pools widened at the knowledge. Something would have to be done for the little thing; unlike the white matriarch, this small girl would not survive Frostfall alone. He shot a concerned glance at Sohalia before lowering his crown to meet Azeen's eyes. "Would you like to be part of a herd, Azeen? My home is not far away, and there are many good horses there. Pegasus, and even Unicorns and Equines live there." A good-hearted smile laid on his lips as he spoke. He knew Kri and the rest of the herd would be glad to see such a young new face. And there were other foals there for the filly to play with back home. Pausing from his thoughts, the stallion looked back to the ivory mistress. Did she have a different idea of what to do with the parent-less child? The idea of the foal going off with the strange mare did not sit well with him. As much as he hated to admit it, there were mares who would do children harm.

She had clearly overreacted slightly to the situation, Sohalia could see that now. Perhaps the stallion was just trying to help the youngling; that was, after all, the only thing that she had set out to do. But it was one thing to think that he was offering help to the filly and another to accept that he would care for her well. She did not know much of the herds of this land, having elected not to join one, but she did know that the little one would need a protector. After all, Sohalia had needed help in her own youth - why should she not carry on the legacy with Azeen? She lowered her head so that she was closer to eye-level with the youngling, though not growing closer to her. She was clearly not trusting of the protective stance that Sohalia had taken, and it was not surprising, if the gixie thought that she hadn't any parents.

"Well, Azeen, I apologize profusely for scaring you." She paused, hearing Leander's offer to Azeen. She considered. She could allow the little grey to follow this stallion, and he may or may not take her to Dragon's Throat. She wasn't particularly fond of the idea of joining a herd, being more of a loner, herself. But would she be permitted to accompany them simply to watch over Azeen and be sure that she was safe? She shifted her gaze between Leander and Azeen, back and forth. The snowy fae knew that she had no say in this particular matter; either Azeen would choose to go with Leander, or she would not. This was up to her.

[W/C | 276]

Walk walk walk.
Talk talk talk.
Think think think.

Unregistered

The Dragon's Throat? Her eyes went wide at the name. This Pegasus lived in the throat of a dragon? She tried to imagine what it would be like, being regularly eaten by a dragon, and somehow seeking passage out of its long throat. Finally, she had to speak up, looking at Leander with the first hint of meekness she had come up with all day.

"You live in a Dragon's throat? How in the world do you manage that without getting eaten?"

She looked from Leander to Sohalia. Azeen wasn't a native, and perhaps that was why it was strange to her that neither of them looked surprised. Was it normal to live within a dragon? Certainly it wasn't normal where she had previously been.

Azeen wasn't one of the fastest learners, but she did notice that the conversation lulled. Also, after looking between both the adults, she noticed they were both looking at her. What were they doing? Were they waiting on her for something?

Finally, it made sense. They were waiting on her to make a decision. Was she to go to the Dragon's Throat, or was she to wander about with this mare? Honestly, Azeen didn't know what to think. Living inside a dragon would just be... strange. However, Azeen hadn't been with any adult for a fair few months, or so it felt. It would be strange traveling with anyone, to be honest. Still, something told her she would need to be with someone when things got cold.

"Why are you looking at me? I don't know where to go!"

The youth glanced between the two with her mismatched eyes, ears flattened awkwardly. Her stance had changed so that she was slightly off-balance. One might wonder if she knew that she was acting cutesy.

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think

CREDITS:: horse - confed4life @dA :: wings - solarka-stock @dA :: background - valarian-warrior @dA :: manip, table - rayodesoleil @dA

Hidden Account
Epona

Gold eyes watched as the mare glanced between him and the filly. He waited for her to object; for it seemed she was more than skeptical of his intentions. It was right of her, maternal instincts and whatnot, to be protective of the babe. But being an outcast was quite dangerous for a foal, and even the suspicious lady seemed to know that.

A deep peal of laughter emanated from his chest. He hadn't even realized that the child would take the name of his herd so literally! Gazing back down at her with a shaking crown, he explained. "Don't worry, Azeen! The Dragon's Throat is just the name of the herd; we don't actually live in a Dragon's Throat! We live near a big lake. It is very warm in the summertime and good for flying." With a quelling chuckle, Leander explained his home as simply as he could for the young one. He wasn't sure whether the little one would want to go with him to the herd, but he was determined to make sure she would be alright, wherever she went. Still smiling, he raised his sights to Sohalia. "You would be welcome to the Throat as well, if you desire a place to stay during Frostfall. I'm sure our leader, Kri, would not mind at all. You might even find some enjoyment in herd life." Hopeful tones graced the mare, though not set on her agreement. Some were just born loners, not made to settle down in one place. Though even as a loyal member of a herd himself, his feet never lingered in one place for very long. The little specked foal caught his attention again with her befuddled words. "That's alright, Azeen. You can come back to my home with me and make some friends. And if you don't like where I live, I promise to help you find a new home somewhere else."

A small chuckle left the ivory fae's maw at the youngling's confusion. They were so sweet and innocent, foals. So easy to please. And yet this one, so young, so sure of herself, so trusting, she didn't have any idea of what she had lost. To be without parents, and to think it normal - how had Azeen survived for so long on her own? A tender gaze lit upon the filly, so similar to herself in her youth. She could not tell the little grey to go with Leander or not; it would be of no avail, anyway, with the independence that Azeen showed. And yet she was clearly so conflicted! Sohalia longed to be able to tell the little filly what to do, but how could she? She had only just arrived herself, not too long ago...

Leander explained the Dragon's Throat, inviting both Sohalia and Azeen to join them there. Perhaps it would not be so bad, to be with a herd for Frostfall. If the early snows were any indication, it was going to be a harsh one, and difficult for any to fare on their own, particularly a youngling. And who knows - maybe she would grow to like herd life. This last thought was dismissed - she had been alone for too long to change now - but the shelter for the Frostfall would be welcomed.

Sohalia spoke now, directing her first words to the little grey. "Azeen, you don't have to decide if you want to stay right now," she pointed out. "But Frostfall is here, young one, and it's going to get very cold. It may be wise to at least travel to Dragon's Throat and wait out the snows there." She spoke now to Leander. "If Azeen chooses to accompany you to the Throat, I will follow as well, if," she glanced to Azeen, "that is alright with you, Azeen?"

[W/C | 319]

Walk walk walk.
Talk talk talk.
Think think think.

Unregistered
I'm sorry for the terribly long wait. My muse fled like a bat out of hell, and I've been trying to catch it ever since. ^_^'

If anything, Azeen's eyes only got wider.

"Oh! That's a relief! I didn't want to go to a place that was inside a mythical animal."

The odd thing being her use of 'mythical' in this statement. It was strange that Azeen thought of a dragon as mythic, but not herself as just a little strange. Of course, Azeen didn't understand fully what her wings were for, seeing as they were small and adorable, and hadn't yet realized the truth of flight. Still, there had been no dragons where she was from, so to her, they were mere fantasy. The poor thing.

Now she looked between the two Pegasi. She liked Leander's strength and size, not finding it intimidating at all, and she was curious as to what a herd of horses would look like. Would their colors be broad? Or did this herd prefer only Pegasi that looked like Leander? On the other hand, she could go with Sohalia, and while she liked Sohalia, that was only one horse.

A voice in the back of Azeen's head, which for some reason she didn't question, told her that it would be best if she went to the herd. That would make things easier, at least. Still, Azeen was a little frightened of getting stuck with a lot of different horses. Solitary sounded nice. Except, you know, for the whole cold and hungry part of it that loomed off in the future, which Azeen wasn't entirely capable of seeing clearly.

"Well, I like the idea of walking around with Sohalia... but I want to be warm and full, too... Can I... Well, can I stay at the Dragon's Throat until it gets warm again, and then go with Sohalia?" She turned to Sohalia "Or would you want to do something else?"

She stared at Sohalia for a few moments with her heterochromic eyes. Although Azeen's idea of parents was faint and almost nonexistent at times, at least her instincts were in tact. At her young age, even if it was only subconsciously, she recognized that a female was the preferred guardian. These two didn't seem like they'd be falling in love, so she chose one: Sohalia. Though, to tell the truth, Azeen was oblivious to this process.

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think

Hidden Account
Epona
L E A N D E R

The ivory Sohalia spoke again, first to the little one and then to him. For whatever reason, both the mare and the filly seemed hesitant to join into the Throat completely. His brow wrinkled quizzically as he wondered why. Did they both think they would be chained to the herd? Somehow unable to wander or explore with freedom? With a patient smile, he sighed, letting his attention fall back to Azeen first. "You can certainly do that, Azeen. Even if you decide to stay as a member of the Throat and be part of the herd, you can still wander anywhere you want, anytime you want. You'll just have friends, family, and a safe place to stay when you need it." White lined eyes lifted back to the grown flicka as he finished, making sure she knew that the words for meant for her as well. The Throat was not a place where anyone was kept leashed from the outside world.

With a wary look up at the clouded sky through the treetops, Leander realized that it was time to go. If he or the other two stuck around much longer, they might well be in for a blizzard. "If you two are ready, we should probably start heading back to the Throat. Wouldn't want to get caught in a storm out here." He spoke, feathered limbs beginning to move South towards the Throat. His pace was slow, so as not to get too far ahead of his two pale companions.

[ooc: We can end this here if you'd like, unless Sohalia or Azeen want to add another post ^^ They should be automatically accepted since they are both pegasus. Feel free to post in the Throat once your ranks have been updated! :D]