the Rift

[OPEN] home is where your heart is set in stone

Snö Posts: 155
Deceased atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: 4 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
ali
Countless seasons had passed since the last time Snö had set foot on the borders off the World's Edge. Leaders had come and gone, lives had been lost, empires had risen and fallen, and there it still was. The mist still wrapped around the trees and there was still that eerie calm that had invaded her senses when she'd been a foal and had only reached her father's knees. She stared at the broken glass wall that had probably looked magnificent at one time. Now she could only assume that it was a symbol of a herd's utter failure at protecting themselves.

The pale mare had spent so much time locked away in the caves in the north that she was completely unaware of the recent invasion of the falls and the election of the new Edge leaders. If she had known she probably would have bypassed the Edge as she wandered. She stepped over a section of broken glass and continued into the forest and she was amazed at how the trees had grown back since the Sun God had burned them down.

How much time had passed?

She could remember when the trees had first started growing back on the very edges of the border. She could remember running through the little sapling trees with Monster Thais chasing after her in a never ending game of tag. The Edge ... was the first and last place she'd ever felt truly happy. She'd spent so much time angry and bitter that she'd lost everything. Tarak, Rapha, Thais, her mother, her siblings, and even her father probably wanted nothing to do with her anymore. Who could blame him? She'd been nothing but terrible and it took her living like a hermit, chasing away everyone that tried to even speak to her before she even realized what she was doing.

But how could she undo it? How could she fix everything that she'd torn apart, cast away, and tried to convince herself was unimportant? She supposed the first step was going home and that was what lead her from the caves in the north back to the World's Edge.

"."

Snö
you're looking at an absolute zero
i'm not the devil but i won't be your hero
Image Credit

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Torleik
What drives us to wander

Konungr Torleik Blóðskáld - such would have been his full title and name, if he'd chosen one, in the language of his people. As it was anyone left from his home would assume him the son of his father, but why would he keep that name? He was a bastard son, never legitimate, and while his father had been good to him in unreliable and intermittent ways, Torleik could not forgive him for the pain he saw his sire caused his mother. Such thoughts drifted through his mind as he gazed out from the cliffs of his new kingdom.

A king.

It was still hard to fathom. From nothing, to a general, to a king in only a few cycles of seasons... His mother would have been proud. A hoot from Irelyn drew him from his mental musings; he'd set her to keep watch over their borders as practice, since the glass wall would be coming down and replaced in various sections with his pike idea. The Bloodskald wanted his companion to memorize the boundaries of her new land, to know what was theirs and what was not, to be his extra set of eyes in the sky.

'Unicorn over wall. Not sure if friendly. You should come,' she summoned, her speech improving with each passing month. Disentangling himself from the lure of the cliffs and the water below, the king made his way to where Irelyn had drawn him, seeing - he believed at first - a mud-flecked Mauja.

No, not Mauja. Not large enough. And no spots. The mud flecks were markings on the coat. But the body was like Mauja's. Intriguing. Ophelia had made remarks that Mauja had many hearts and she should not have expected him to cherish hers. Perhaps this was an indiscretion? Torleik's empathy extended to this creature if she, too, was a bastard child. Such was a rough place, to wonder why your parents did not want you like others' did.

"Hail," his deep voice rumbled, not friendly, but not aggressive. "You are within the borders of the World's Edge, stranger. Do you seek an audience with the new leadership, or are you a wanderer?" he queried. She - the scent confirmed that - could have simply not known the glass wall marked a specific herdland, or perhaps she was here with purpose. Torleik entertained both options and waited patiently for her response.

@[Snö]

"talk talk talk"

Credits: Image by Schwartze @ DA
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

ali

It was quiet, almost eerily so. The only sounds she could hear was the very distant and faint waves crashing against the Edge cliffs and the occasional hoot of an owl. For the most part the Edge seemed to be abandoned and that made Snö stop and wonder what had happened to make it appear so. The thought about calling out to see if anyone would answer then decided against doing so.

"Hail."

The icy girl turned her head and watched as Torleik approached her and everything about him screamed familiarity. "I remember you." But she couldn't remember where she'd seen him before, just that she remembered him. The blue eyes, the beard, the thick hair, braids ... everything was all so familiar. So, so familiar.

"I know where I am." She kept her voice impassive as she spoke and her eyes fixed on the dark stranger. "I grew up here." There was much more that she could say. She could tell him that her father had been King and her mother had been Queen, but past links to leadership would serve her no purpose and she was not one to name drop nor was she one to reveal so much about herself or her childhood to a complete stranger no matter how familiar he might have been. Her attention had began to drift as she thought back to her childhood, but Torleik recaptured it again when he spoke of new leadership.

"New leadership?" She questioned. "Who is it?" The last she truly remembered of the Edge it was Mirage that had been in charge. Had someone finally defeated the black mare?

"."

Snö
Image Credit

Torleik
Do I look like a king?

She remembered him? Torleik thought back, trying to scour his mind for any meeting between himself and this mare before...and only the vaguest pictures surfaced. Stress. Anger. Grief. It was during the murders - he recalled that much, but when, where, and why eluded him exactly. She was somewhat familiar, though, now that she mentioned it...

"I believe we've met - but I confess I cannot recall when. During that murder chaos, if my memory serves any use at all." She claimed she knew exactly where she was and that she had grown up here. The words chosen, though, spoke to the fact that she did not currently reside here despite it being her childhood home. Technically, she was trespassing, but he would let that go as long as she did not become hostile. A passing traveler was of little threat if she intended to continue through.

Her query about the new leadership set him slightly on edge. Was she gathering information for someone else? Such paranoia was new to him and Torleik was rather surprised by how suspicious she was making him. Perhaps it was her ever-calm demeanor. Maybe it was the familiarity in the lines of her body. Word would get out soon enough about the lead change; that information could not be used against them, really. To answer was no danger. "Myself and Mauja." he stated succinctly. "What is your name? I don't believe I caught it whenever we last met."

@[Snö]

"talk talk talk"

No man is an island.

ali

"During that murder chaos...."

That was it, wasn't it? Snö frowned and her ears tilted back against her head as she thought back to that time. The only murder she'd been present at or even cared about had been her mother's. "Yeah." She finally replied. "My mother was murdered." She stared hard at Torleik, then, as she tried to remember but it was Gaucho that she remembered the most. The murderer that accused her own father of murdering her mother. She still didn't know how Ophelia could have said that Gaucho hadn't done it.

Wait...

"You were with Ophelia. You yelled at Mauja." And that was what she remembered the most about the Bloodskald. Had it been under different circumstances she would have enjoyed every minute of Torleik berating her father and probably would have remembered it more vividly. She probably would have spent weeks after laughing at the insults that had been thrown at him.

"Myself and Mauja."

"What? He finally managed to become king again?" She snorted and rolled her eyes because she couldn't believe that he had actually managed to accomplish something that wasn't self-destructive. If he could do it then maybe there was hope for her. "Snö." She said when Torleik asked for her name. "...Mauja is my father." And she frowned again because even though she was trying so hard to be civil she'd spent far too much time hating her bloodline. "And your name?"

"."

@[Torleik]
Snö
Image Credit

Torleik
An unpleasant revelation

"Yeah. My mother was murdered."

How could she say that with such...evenness? So factually, like she would mention the season was particularly hot or cold, or the food she was eating was good or mediocre? And who was her mother?

"You were with Ophelia. You yelled at Mauja."

Memories of that event came thrusting their way to the forefront of his consciousness with painful clarity. Not knowing where Ophelia was, finding her being touched by someone who'd harmed her, who she had a past with, who he knew wanted her. That rage was frightening. It wasn't tempered by grief, like the rage he'd felt when he lost his family; there was nothing to quench the conflagration that erupted inside.

Shaking his head slightly, he tried to move on, remember other things. Gaucho was there. This...this one was there. Briefly. He'd barely paid attention to her but she had been there. Wasn't...another one of Gaucho's herd there? He wasn't sure of her name. And the victim...it was Ophelia's aunt. Psyche.

This one's mother? Didn't that mean...?

"Snö...Mauja is my father."

Which meant she was Ophelia's cousin. By Mauja's loins. There would always be a mark of him in her family line, then. There was no escape. Torleik expected to be angry but he felt nothing, only hollow. He was tired. Tired of this battle, tired of wanting to feel free of someone he would now have to look at almost daily, live with - be around Ophelia with. "Torleik," he stated. "And yes, it seems Mauja managed to become king of the World's Edge once more. There was a competition and he and I proved the best options out of the choices. For whatever that is worth," murmured the warrior.

He took some time to inspect her again, wondering if her walled-off demeanor was a result of resentment towards her father and mother, or from a hard life of disappointment. In truth he rather liked speaking to her thus far. She didn't prance around the subject; this white and chestnut-splattered mare stated things as they were. "You said you lived here. Would you like to live here again?" Torleik's question was given cautiously, but with no ulterior motives. She had wandered home.

Did she want to call it that once more?

@[Snö]

"talk talk talk"

No man is an island.

ali

Snö listened quietly as the black stallion spoke his name and informed her that there had been a competition to see who would end up being the new leaders of the Edge. She found it strange that the Moon Goddess Bitch would stand by and allow something to happen in her own land. "Its odd that the Goddess would have no say in who rules her land." The girl said. "I've always been under the impression that she liked to be in control of everything." She wondered how long the new leadership would last, if the Goddess would allow a king that she'd thrown away for someone else to take up his throne again. In the end did she really care if the Kings were denounced and new ones handpicked by the Goddess were put in place?

"You said you lived here. Would you like to live here again?"

The invitation took Snö by surprise and she stared at Torleik as if he'd started speaking in another language. "You're serious?" Was it really that easy? The whole being civil and polite thing was certainly received a lot better than her normal temperament was. She looked around, at the broken wall, the trees, the way the mist swirled and danced along the ground as it enveloped everything... and she realized how much she missed it. "I do." The icy girl answered. "I want to come back home."

But how would Mauja take to her calling the Edge home once more? They'd been at odds with one another since Tamlin's birth. They'd tried to get along, to make peace, but then one of them would screw up again, say something stupid, do something stupid, and they would be back at square one. "Just ... don't tell Mauja ... my dad yet. I want to find him, myself." She would just have to try harder to get along with him so she could do something with her own life.

"."

@[Torleik]
Snö
Image Credit