the Rift

[PRIVATE] nightingale

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit
belladonna, in italian a beautiful lady; in english a deadly poison.

She needed time to think. Being alone had given her too much time to do so, and yet she somehow could never get herself to contemplate the realities of it all. Lakota hadn't seen Ktulu since the murders had ended, she had disappeared for nearly two seasons, leaving Lakota pregnant and trying to figure out if it was anything she had done wrong. Aodaun had always been the guardian of her thoughts, and it had been him and Eytan who had managed to get Ktulu and Lakota together in the end. But when the Falls was secured and Ktulu still did not return to Lakota...her thoughts and worries grew ever darker, until his attempts at convincing the Poisoner that it wasn't she who had driven away her mate were nothing but mere whispers in the back of her head.

Her pregnancy was overdue. Not by too terribly long yet, but her body was punishing her for it nonetheless. The mare was too frail, too delicate for the strain it was placing upon her frame. Lakota had always been small, her siblings towering over her, but she had fought tooth and nail against any asshole who had thought that her stature meant she could not adequately defend herself. But this was no physical foe, and she was incapable of magically fixing her body type to make the pregnancy easier on her.

She had to tell her brother. Alleo needed to know that soon he was going to become an uncle. But the Falls was vast and unfamiliar to her, unforgiving in her attempts to find her older brother and give him the good news. It only further isolated her, made her feel the emotional strain of loneliness that was amplified by her hormonal fluctuating emotions. Nevertheless she wandered, no matter how it made her back and hooves ache with the effort. She could no longer make the trip to the Threshold, after she had come across Badger and Laedere. But sitting in one place had her mind working triple time, devising ways of torturing her further, drawing up her inadequacies.

What's that? Lakota turned listlessly to where Aodaun was looking, a little cubby with a half-made tent. Her heart ached with absence, with the desire for touch and companionship. Lakota had always been a creature for the physical, though she hid it well with her undoubtedly prickly personality. So instead of turning and wandering away from whomever dwelled in the tent, she made her way there. It was Aodaun who spotted the garden first, moving ahead of her as he always did lately, ensuring any danger faced him first so he had time to warn and defend her. Garden! Lakota drew the dots herself.

"Kitten?" she croaked pitifully, shuffling in on aching hooves, her heart pitifully hoping the brindled mare was present. If company was not awarded - Lakota remembered Resplendence's hatred of the Grey, the fear in her eyes even as Lakota had defended her from Oxy - at least she could ask the mother and healer for herbs that Lakota did not know. She was a poisoner. She destroyed. Though her knowledge of herbs was also vast, both from Alleo and her time as an Earth Medic (and no she was not bitter about not being given back her rank, she wasn't) she'd never had to utilize or memorize anything regarding pregnancy and birth. Perhaps pleading with her for help would be enough conversation for the lonely mother to be, even if Kitten despised her as a person despite being obligated to help her as a fellow Falls member.

Lakota
the Poisoner

kaydeniro | larfsalot
on deviantart
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence

one day i'll be stronger than my own doubt
Resplendence was tired. Sleep, while it had started to come to her in gentle waves she still hadn't been getting a lot of it. Rue had returned, and (now overly paranoid) she'd asked another herd member to keep an eye on her child while she attempted to recuperate. Valiance, forever keeping watch, was in the skies - circling around like a vulture to warn Resplendence if anyone came near.

It was the sign of the polar bear which startled Valiance, for a couple of reasons. First, polar bears did not naturally live where there was not snow. Secondly, it was large enough to easily take down Resplendence, especially in her exhausted state. Thirdly, if it didn't naturally survive in these lands then it had to be accompanied by someone else. Valiance instantly swooped back down, tearing through the open flap of the canopy and landing just in front of Resplendence. "Bear; not natural. Didn't see companion," he warned Resplendence - tugging at her hair to get her groggy mess onto her feet. "A bear?" she mumbled, blinking awkwardly before stumbling to her feet. "Yes. A bear, Ressy. A bear." Valiance insisted, leaping back to the sky and pulling away the flap to allow Resplendence an easy exit from her 'nest'.

Then, the awkward term of endearment flitted into the sky, croaking and begging to be heard. Her audit swivels toward it as Valiance glides toward Lakota as well. He flashed an image of the mare to Resplendence, far clearer from his closer position compared to her own vision. She flicked her tail, maroon dust spraying across the lands as she rolled her shoulders. "It's Lakota… at least I believe that's her name…" she told Valiance, eyes lingering back toward the tent and her hidden herb box. Yes, this mare wasn't completely horrid. She had saved her herbs from that beast when Resplendence hadn't been strong enough to do it herself. Even if she had invaded the Foothills, gave her nightmares, she had yet to show the hatred, the venom and malice toward Resplendence in their latest encounters.

Valiance, still uncertain with this pairing, continued to circle the sky like a vulture. Yet, he lacked the warning flare he usually sent off because Resplendence was insisting that this mare would do little (at least in the state she was hobbling toward her in) to harm the Earth Medic. Quietly, she moved forward - attempting to meet the mare half way, eyes locking in on the swollen barrel and the sway of her limbs as the blue roan moved. "If it's not the lioness…" Resplendence says, no hatred in her voice - though it didn't carry the same joy of her closest friends. Her lips curve in a delicate smile before she offers to bump maws with the mother before her. "Lakota? I know we never formally introduced ourselves - but I garnered your name from Apollo…" she explains, quietly and uncertainly - not wanting to offend the mare before her. Aye, she knew the blue roan had some interesting magic to say the least. "What brings you here?" she finally asks, twisting ever so slightly to glance back at her tent, eyes flickering back toward Lakota's. "Come back toward my canopy. Rest for a spell if you need to," she offers, even against Valiance's wishes. Aye, he had seen her nightmares, the ones that still haunted her - from Rowan's death, to the invasion… he knew them. He knew them and he wasn't okay with the nightmares existing in real life.
Image Credit
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

Had Lakota known that Resplendence was ill at ease, exhausted by the disappearance and final return of her own daughter, would she have bothered her in her clumsy passing? The Poisoner hadn't the faintest idea. Her head felt like the cottonwood fluff that decorated the winds just before summer, intangible and fuzzy. Wasn't she a selfish person? Or was that just who she wanted everyone to think she was? It was confusing, she was just so damn tired. Couldn't she catch a break? Invasion, pregnancy, Ktulu disappearing, her brother eluding her, her aching fucking hooves. She loved the little tyke already, but the pregnancy itself was not nearly as uncomplicated as her love for her baby.

A crimson dragon spiraled above her, and Lakota watched it warily, distrusting of fire and all it came with. Instead she focused on the mental and emotional strength that Aodaun was pouring into her like molten silver, thick and beautiful. She clung to it, used the sharper state of his mind to focus on the mare that emerged from the clinging tent fabric of her crumpled tent. Lakota moved no farther than where she'd approached, not out of disrespect but because she could simply go no farther. Hooves were held aloft in circulating turns, trying to ease the ache but only chasing it away for mere minutes. But if she stayed too still, the nightmarish thoughts would return with a vengeance. Or worse, an actual nightmare to plague her dreams with worries of inadequacy and impending solitary motherhood.

A smile was managed at Resplendence's words, finding it amusing that the Medic was the Kitten and she the Lioness. And yet it was Lakota who had come to her with the thorn in her paw, not sure whom else she could turn to. This was what she got for having no friends, she mourned bitterly to herself. Aodaun could say nothing to that, could not lie to her, because she truly had none. Instead he pressed against her foreleg, sharing his head and strength should she somehow disastrously crumple and fall. It was an appealing idea, with how she ached all the way up to her knees from walking alone. Not to mention how bruised she felt inside from the tyke's vicious kicking at not being expelled sooner. I'm trying, bambino, she thought woefully at the child. It was not her fault the labor had not set in at the correct time. Perhaps it was the stress. But wait, didn't that make them come early?

Aodaun mentally prodded her as Resplendence spoke, repeating the words Lakota had missed in her haze. She didn't hesitate to brush her maw against the similarly velveteen lips of the Medic, eyes slipping closed in a horrific, pitiful display of weakness. Lakota was a nymph of touch and affection, but her walls were too far down for her to conceal her positive reactions from the Medic. "I don't mind, most people just call me Poisoner," she snorted, a little bitterly as her eyes sluggishly opened again. Gods, how could one body be so tired?

Ah, what did bring her to the Medic's tent? Was it a sense of loss, of uselessness? Why hadn't she grown used to that in the Edge? New herd, new place to taint with her uselessness, she snapped at herself. Firstly she answered the offer, still trying to sort out why she was there, how much she should say without making Resplendence think less of her. Wasn't she supposed to have a hardass reputation? Why did people even like her again? Oh, probably for my magic. Aodaun whined beneath Lakota's tired words as they finally drifted free. "Thank you Kitten, but...I don't think I can even make it there at this point," she laughed, more of a weak huff of breath than anything.

"I...I came because..." Aodaun whined louder, and Lakota mindlessly hushed him, a soothing sound she normally didn't make aloud were she not in such a fuzzy state. And to her horror, those god awful hormones decided to kick her right in the fucking face at that moment, and tears began quivering in her eyes, chasing the cusp to spill down her cheeks. With a blink, they did, and Lakota gave a somewhat hysterical laugh as they came pouring down. "I-I don't know what to do," she sobbed, eyes scared and plainly shown, because she didn't know what her body was doing to her or why she was so emotional. Her dam had never liked her, had never let her near when she was pregnant with Hana, and Lakota had no experience with pregnant mares aside from - clearly, now - herself.

"I haven't seen Ktulu since our quest when I was made pregnant, and I can't find my brother and I have nobody to help me with this!" she half-yelled, for it was all her tired vocals could manage. It came out in a rush of emotion and distress, but she was far from done as she hung her head in one last attempt to hide how far she'd fallen. "I don't know what I'm doing, I-I have no experience with this, and the foal is late and it hurts so bad because it won't stop kicking, and my hooves hurt and my spine hurts and -" she broke off on a sharp breath in, almost hyperventilating. It came right back out as a rattling sob. She'd completely lost control.

"And I'm emotional and it scares me, because I don't want anybody to see me like this," she wailed, heartbroken and terrified. After a few heaving breaths, trying and failing to get herself under control, Lakota whimpered out the last few words on her mind. "I don't want to be alone, I don't want to raise my foal alone, and I'm so scared I'm the one who made Ktulu leave," she squeaked brokenly, eyes like shattered amethyst stones as she lifted them warily to Resplendence's, unsure of how she would react. Probably laugh, revel in her misery because the tainted mare deserved it. Hadn't she always? Perhaps this was just another cruel joke from the universe aimed, as always, right at her.

Lakota
the Poisoner

kaydeniro | larfsalot
on deviantart
Plot with me here!

Resplendence

There was a smirk at her response - calling the Poisoner a lioness. Resplendence hoped it was a good smirk. And, with the returned bump of the maw she managed to keep her smile upon her face. She says she doesn't mind that Resplendence calls her Lakota, explains that she is usually called Poisoner with a bitter snort. Carefully, Resplendence tilts her cranium to the side, a delicate sigh escaping her lips. "My dear, what do you want to be called. I won't force a name upon anyone if they don't like it." She says - golden orbs locking with the other mare before asking just what had brought the roaned mare to her tent.

Resplendence could see the thoughts churning, the way that her companion seemed to keep whining - to keep prodding her back into reality. She is thanked for the offer of going back to the tent but confirmed that she probably wouldn't make it very far. "Valiance, gather some Cloves, Angelica, and Raspberries for her," she instructed only to have him swoop down and begin to shake his head violently. "No. She's a nightmare," he hissed and she instantly pinned her ear, "Still needs help!" He responded with a "Still a nightmare," before laying down in front of her - begging her to make him move. She snaps at him, eyes narrowed. That quiet, motherly voice is the one that emerges. "You will gather them now, Valiance. Because I said so. No argument." There is a couple of clicks before he dejectedly takes off to go gather the herbs she had instructed him to gather.

Finally, the roan mare begins to explain why she came. Lakota was also beginning to cry, tears cascading down her cheeks. Res' ear flickers down to the side in concern. Of course, the half yell causes Resplendence to back up a little - shocked by the sudden raise of voice before taking in exactly what she was saying. "I will help you, Lioness." She responds, urgency and concern in her voice. Aye, she was unsure if the mare had even heard her. She complained of the pain, of the foal being late and of the emotions. She cried, taking a few deep breaths to center herself before squeaking the last line.

Eyes were lifted warily to meet the Medic's own that radiated with concern. Carefully, she goes to close the distance. She did not have the wings of Kaj or Quilyan - she could not wrap the mare in a calming embrace, but she could try. "You aren't alone. I won't let you be alone. I won't let anyone be alone." She tries to reassure the mare - carefully placing her neck over the mare's withers, close enough to press breast to breast. And, at the same time, the grip is loose, in case the Poisoner doesn't wish for the physical contact. "It will be okay. Archibald is here as well… He is close to you as well, no? I do not know Ktulu well, if at all…" she whispers in calming waves of soothing vocal sounds. "But a protector such as you - who so readily saves the weak - could not have been the cause of another's choice to leave."

She pulls away as Valiance swoops back into the meeting, dropping all of the herbs at Resplendence's hooves. Then, he rocks back on his haunches and crosses his two front limbs toward the roan mare. Yeah, he still didn't trust her. "Valiance…" Resplendence warns, and he quickly shuffles back before taking flight and landing on the pallid mare's back, sticking his long tongue out at Lakota quickly so as to not be caught by Resplendence. Yes, he was basically as rascally as her own daughter and she did not need that. "You'd give your life for Ktulu, wouldn't you? I'm sure she sees that - and she's probably struggling with something as you are struggling with this. Both of you too stubborn to tell the other?" Res tries to explain, moving the herbs around and beginning to crush up what needed to be crushed. "Lay down for a spell, rest your hooves. Angelica and Raspberries will help with the pregnancy, maybe help push you toward contractions. The cloves will help with the pain in your joints. Though, they may take a little bit to work," she says, backing away slightly from the pile of herbs so that Lakota could reach it without accidentally running into Resplendence.

So, she stands and waits. Either to be snapped at, watch more tears fall, or to have the mare take the herbs and leave. But she would not be the one to leave - not after the mare said she was afraid of being alone. Resplendence knew that fear all too well, and she refused to incite it in someone else.
Image Credit
When I'm ready to fall
With love

Nobody had ever asked her what she wanted before. At least, nobody but Alleo and perhaps Ktulu. Lakota could not deny that she merely stood there and stared, not quite sure what to make of the question or its underlying message. It made her throat tremble, her lip quiver, and she managed a teary smile. God, how could anybody take her seriously like this? At least Resplendence wasn't laughing at her yet. Aodaun snorted softly at her side. I would sooner carry you away than allow that, he promised. It helped relax the iron fist clenching Lakota's stomach, and with it came far too honest words. "You can call me Kota, nobody ever really calls me by a nickname, and...and I've always wanted to." To be fair Ktulu had names for her, even called her Kota, but there was a difference between having a beloved mate who was also your friend and having just a simple friend. "Nobody quite likes befriending the monster," she laughed, a little watery, bitter thing that she had given up attempting to control. Why was it Ktulu had more friends than Lakota? Wasn't Kota the somewhat nicer one of the demon duo?

Lakota dropped her eyes as the dragon and the mare began to fight, catching on quickly that the beast was unwilling to give Lakota any herbs to help her with the pain - or whatever it was Resplendence intended to do. Her jaw clenched against a new wave of tears. Wow, did the companions not even like her? Surely she deserved it, with all her mortal sins, but it hurt her similarly mortal heart nonetheless to feel the dagger's sting of distrust and hatred once again. There was little area left unwounded on that poor lump of meat sitting uselessly inside her chest.

And even when the dam broke and she began to cry, it ached to see her outburst force Resplendence even further away. Was she such a monster that she scared her fellow kin, even the ones she'd never harmed and had even helped? Surely she was cursed, she despaired. Even the urgent promise of help could not soothe that particular sting, especially as her words - once poised and always properly contained - began to overflow. Perhaps she'd held them back too long in her life, had not allowed herself to feel, and so her hormones were particularly brutal, as if aware they would only be able to control her for so long.

Kitten advanced upon her, but Lakota stood limp and unresisting, completely harmless. In fact, she hiccuped a sob at the words that graced her ears, like salvation and a promise that she was good enough to warrant Resplendence's friendship and aid. She came against her like a crumbling wall, pressing into the mare and returning the motion, draping her own neck over the slightly shorter mare and hugging her close rather than cautiously as the Medic had. "Okay," is all she can brokenly squeak to the initial words, to the promises that Resplendence would never allow anyone to be alone. Not even Lakota.

Archibald...Lakota gave a tired laugh against the mare's shoulder, feeling so impossibly tired, as if she could not even keep her eyelids open with all her will at her back for the task. "He's so busy being Czar, trying to kickstart the herd..." she murmured in explanation. The Poisoner did not begrudge him that, even if it was at the cost of further isolation for the tiny mare. Resplendence's voice is calm and soothing, and Lakota closes her eyes and feels each syllable like a physical caress, pushing her breast closer to feel the real vibrations in the brindled maiden's chest and throat. Normally Lakota would never dare to believe such compliments, but she clung to them with the desperation of a drowning man. Though she still doubted them, perhaps they had some sort of worth if someone who hardly knew her thought such things of her.

"Thank you," she whispered into the long locks near her muzzle. There was nothing else she could possibly say, after all. For all her eloquence she was helpless in that moment. Resplendence drawing away was difficult for the mare, and she flinched instinctively as if to draw her close once more before settling. Though to see further mockery and distrust from Valiance, her face crumpled and she glanced towards the earth, watching as Resplendence handled the herbs. At her side, Aodaun snarled at the beast, eyes promising pain if he exacerbated Lakota's condition. He had no qualms with Resplendence, in fact was nearly close to desperate adoration of her for what she was doing for Lakota, but he would not tolerate anybody or anything hurting his beloved while she was already fragile.

Lakota hushed him weakly, but Aodaun kept his eyes stubbornly on the little red morsel - what he would become, if necessary. Instead, the sapphire siren focused on the words that came next from the Medic's lips. "In an instant," she swore on a breath, eyes finding strength enough to turn hard with her vow. Lakota would give her life in a heartbeat for Ktulu. Though she did find a pitiful chuckle following it, at question of their bullheadedness. "Yes, we are both legendary in our stubbornness," she sighed fondly, eyes tired but still full of love despite Ktulu's disappearance. "But...I haven't seen her at all since I was made pregnant. I've not even had the chance to be stubborn," was admitted, not wishing to dismiss Resplendence's attempt at explanation but finding it too riddle with holes to accept.

Obediently, she collapsed with a complete lack of grace, balancing momentarily on Aodaun's shoulder as he gently lowered her to the ground so she would not hurt herself in the fall. He propped her up with his body when she was settled, else she would have fallen completely prostrate onto her side. The snow bear did not fully trust anybody but Ktulu and Archibald with his beloved, no matter his gratitude towards the quiet medic.

Lakota listened halfheartedly to the herbs and what they were intended for, already leaning forward to draw them into her mouth. Bitter mix as always, but Lakota held appreciation for what concoctions could achieve. "I miss being Medic," she whispered, staring at the ground, unwilling to see the triumph and gloating she feared would be apparent in Resplendence's golden coins. "I had a use, then. I've always been good with herbs, but more so poisons...to finally be able to heal..." she shrugged and let her words die away into silence. "Doesn't matter anymore," she murmured. Lifting her tired head she gazed at Resplendence, eyes glassy once again. "I don't know how to be a mother, especially not alone," she gave in strained whisper, seeking guidance from the older mare in her time of need. She had asked so much already, but the least she could do was try. "I love my foal so much already, I don't want to let them down," was delivered in a far shakier tone, as if ready to dissolve back into helpless, tired tears.

God she hated hormones sometimes.

Lakota
the Poisoner

kaydeniro | larfsalot
on deviantart
Plot with me here!

Resplendence

She had managed to shock the mare before her. It was as if Resplendence had shoved her into a state of shock. It hadn't been intentional - the question came from a place of sincerity, of care (the same care that she brought about for almost everyone who crossed her path). She was given a name, Kota, and there was a gentle nod as Kota ended up with an awkward laugh. "No one likes facing their inner daemons either, but it can still happen, Kota." she explains, a gentle lilt to her words.

Aye, but the outburst had scared Resplendence at first. She had never been one to stand tall when things got scary - but, still, she would bulk up after the initial shock. And, that was exactly what she did. She bulked up and she moved back toward the mare who had raised her voice. Aye, it had been in desperation, hadn't it? A call out to be heard - as if she'd never been heard before. Then, as the mare also wrapped around Resplendence, she mimicked the movement - pressing in tighter, holding her closer. She tried to be something stable for the pregnant mare who was already struggling enough. There is a squeak to Resplendence's promise, a tired laugh about Archibald. "I'm sure he cares, I'm sure he'd take the time… Kaj would do it for me - if I broke past the stubbornness that tells me I shouldn't bother him." Resplendence insisted, eyes flickering back and forth along the horizon where Valiance should be coming from.

There was a thank you which came from the mare, barely picked up from the brindled one as she backed away to begin to assist with the herbs for her. Kota's polar bear was snarling at Valiance, though. So, with a snap of her bare teeth at Valiance she instantly had him back into a submissive position. "I apologize for Valiance. He still sees you as one of my nightmares; which you no longer are since joining the Edge and helping me in the caves. He thinks he has to protect me - but doesn't understand yet that not everything is a threat…" There was a sigh in her breath, a tiredness lingering in her orbs as she moved onto Ktulu and the possible stubbornness that would linger between the two. "Her not appearing is the stubbornness, probably a stubbornness in not wanting to ail you with her troubles. But, I do not know her and I cannot speak for her or you."

She moved on, telling the mare to rest a spell and giving her the herbs which would assist. She said she missed being a medic, saying she had a use then and explaining her use for poisons. Resplendence laughs a little - a shine in her eyes as she tilts her eyes to the side. "We'd be a great pair then, Kota." It is true, and she knows it. "I with healing and you with poisons, it is very complimentary. Even if you don't step into the Medic position beside me you can pick up the healing herbs and help me pick up poisons. I would love you at my right hand, if you so wish it." Resplendence offers, a bit of happiness seeping into her voice before the mare lifted her tired head and spoke about not knowing how to be a mother.

Carefully, Resplendence lowered her aching body to the ground - not enough sleep always took its toll upon her, and really she should also be treating herself. But, still stubborn when it came to others before herself she had yet to pay enough attention. She had moved to lay in front of her, offering her barrel as a pillow for the mare should she desire it. "No one knows how to be a mother," Resplendence starts - voice tight in her throat. "You can only let them down by not being there… And you won't be alone. I will help as much as I can, Archibald probably will as well… and others. Much of the herd takes on the foals as if they were their own when needed…" eyes staring off into the distance, memories of her twins seeping into the recesses of her mind. "They'll help you grow as much as you help them…" She's not sure how to go on much farther though. Her own twins hadn't made it to be that old, and she was one of the lucky few who got a second chance. Tears brimming in her eyes she managed to end with, "You let them make mistakes… but you protect them with your life…"

Res's face when talking about Kota and her being a pair --- I secretly am beginning to think she's like Sakura XD
Image Credit
When I'm ready to fall
With love