the Rift

give me a second go

Serenity Posts: 78
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hh :: 7 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Avis
Serenity
In her panic she sprung off of coiled haunches, wings snapping out and pushing her up hard. Her heart could have torn a hole in her chest with its erratic pounding had it not been properly confined. She didn't dare look back at what remained below; couldn't convince herself she was making a mistake; wouldn't find satisfaction in anything such a revelation could offer. Taken flight and caught up in her own mind, she had once again left something so precious behind because she was a delicate doll who couldn't handle the reality of the world. Where had her strength gone? Tossed to the wind without caution, no more was she the filly who had endured slavery and escaped with her resolve intact. She was worn and chipped and so she left all she knew laying beneath her wings.

Her home was the sky and she didn't care where she flew; first the land of Gods and then demons, all a weight upon her shoulders that didn't exist without the earth against her hooves. She wanted to settle her fluttering heart a final time, to find her place stop her running. It would not be one she sought that time, instead entrusting the wind to do her right: it knew better than she and no longer did she care to worry over such things.
But unexpected was the storm that formed overhead as her feathers ruffled and altitude was difficult to maintain. It was quick and played no games--gusts turned to thunder gave way to cracks of lightening shifted into a hurricane--and her screams of surprise and alarm were but whispers in that moment. Victim to the onslaught raging around her she could do nothing but close her eyes as she fell prey to a ravenous darkness.

Eyelids begrudgingly cracked to expose the sun's light and she squinted against the harsh rays. Various muscles tensed and relaxed as they tried to figure themselves out, whole or broken. Against her side she found herself as she awoke, thrown without mercy into the force of gravity after her wings could no longer keep her safely in the sky. The storm payed no mind to her well being in its fury; bruised she surely was, but otherwise intact as she picked her star-studded body off the underbrush and shook whatever leaves and twigs would fall from her hair. All around the bark of trees greeted her and the colors drew her in, breaths easy as the worst seemed to be over. Wings waved themselves out and (somewhat painfully) tucked against her sides; perhaps movement would loosen up the sinews laying deep within her blue and golden body so she waded further inward.

A sharp gaze was unfazed by all it saw, and it wasn't until an inkling of familiarity and unease brushed their kisses upon her hide that she began to truly wonder where she had landed.

filling the darkness with order and light
you know your place in the sky
CREDITS

open! <3

STARS FADING BUT I LINGER ON DEAR
STILL CRAVING YOUR KISS
(Please tag me in every post)

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Torleik the Bloodskald

I watched you change

The Threshold. Such a love-hate relationship he had with this land. Recruiting was useful and interesting enough, but sometimes he felt as if they were merely accosting those who would wish to slip in unseen and observe until they were ready to venture out. Still, there were yet others who welcomed the greeting and the explanation of where they had managed to end up, why they were suddenly stripped of abilities, what had happened.

To offer such peace and a grounding anchor was something Torleik took pleasure in doing. The last person he expected to see here again was Serenity. At first, the Bloodskald didn't believe his eyes - it had been so long since they'd crossed paths that surely this starry pegasus mare was someone else, someone new. In a quick trot, his hooves drew him closer and the rabicano's identification was confirmed: it was none other than Serenity, looking quite worse for the wear.

"Serenity - what happened? Are you all right? Who harmed you?" he asked in a rapid-fire sequence, drawing near to her, concern etched all over his large body and scarred features of his face. The fondness he'd managed to cultivate for this decidedly mercurial mare was almost a brotherly affection, he supposed, if he looked back on it. At the time, she'd tempted him in strange ways but he'd wanted to help her - she'd been one of a few who had been kind to him, at least in a sense. Now, his heart was Ophelia's, but small, dusty strings sluggishly tugged to life pulled at his compassionate organ to see such a beautiful creature look so battered.

He would make the perpetrators pay.

@[Serenity]

"talk talk talk"

Art by araxel @ DA
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
HEART SICK_AND EYES FILLED UP WITH BLUE

She was doing it again, running. She didn't intend to go far, this time. How could she, after all this time this was home now and she couldn't deny the part of her that wanted to stay any more than she could keep the leaving part of her still. So Ampere walked somewhere in-between, trying to cool herself of by going without really being gone. That's why as her hooves breached the Threshold sky, she began a lazy decline for its trees, landing on a sturdy branch with a sway and well balanced legs from years of practice.

The tree groaned beneath her, and her ears flicked to listen to the song of the bark. Above that though, she heard a familiar voice. It was one she had neither expected (although perhaps she should have given his herd), nor was it one she wanted. Still... perhaps poking a bear, or a beard, was just the ice she needed. Oxy's absence from her life as of late, though a blessing, had made Gaucho her punching bag and it provided strains that hitting Oxy hadn't. Torleik would not in and of himself be an answer, but maybe he could be something, for once.

So Ampere moved through the trees, passing between them and over them them, gliding and jumping when needed, until she lingered in the boughs above him. She came on the on the wake of his discovery, and was startled when he suddenly trotted off and exclaimed out loud. Ampere's eyes lifted in turn, and she too gasped with recognition.

"SERENITY!" she blurted out, diving down from t he tree top and onto her wings, hitting the ground and slipping into a trot to pull alongside Torleik. She spared him little attention now, other than a cursory glance of recognition - Serenity was fare more important now. "You look terrible! Can you walk back home or should I summon the healers?" of course Ampere just assumed Serenity would come back to Throat, because it was her home, right? She had left, and Ampere had never known why, but it wasn't as if she was the first nor would she be the last - though there was irony in that, given that their friendship seemed to solidify over the loss of Kari (who's departure did have ramifications for Ampere). Perhaps she ought to have looked for her, especially given her current state of disarray. Hadn't Sohalia also run into trouble? Was there evil afoot the borders of Helovia, snatching the unsuspecting?

A M P E R E

plaguedog.deviantart.com

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Serenity Posts: 78
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hh :: 7 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Avis
Serenity
If things had been different--perhaps the storm hadn't been greedy for her stars--she might not have known Helovia again. Leaving once had been hard enough; but living there, turning into a nightmare, was worse. Some part of her had broken when golden gaze saw the dead, each one weighing more heavily on her mind. She hadn't known if the culprit was ever found out or caught or even why they so desperately took the lives of the innocent. And yet she fled before anything more could happen, before she could wither away completely.

Things had changed, then, though she wouldn't know the difference. Without a sense of the past, memories were useless to make her recognize anything around her. In her current condition she could not pay much mind to it anyway; her body screamed at her, sore, begging for comfort she could not give it. She gritted her teeth instead and let the pain wash over her, keeping her focus on the grasses and boughs and everything but herself. Ragged and unkempt, though a nuisance, was of no immediate issue of hers. She was accustomed to hard work in endless fields and days that didn't cease. She could handle being slightly battered.

A wide gaze skimmed across a rather large shadow approaching, its increasing proximity wishing she could take flight before it reached her. Her heart sped and stance stiffened. It was another who found himself in the forest, and the glint of his horns sent her backward a few steps to create the distance he aimed to close. Why he seemed to be so intent and confused she didn't know, nor his reason for thinking she was what he was after. But his words--her name spilling from his lips--made her recoil, shock etched into her features. How did he know her? Had they met before? Surely she would not be so comfortable around one with horns to swap names, yet hers was clearly one he kept. She grappled for her own words to say, pulling only on thin air, when yet someone else appeared who seemed to also know what to call her. Surely two were not a coincidence but she had no recollection of who they might be.

Still tense and perhaps a bit frightened she shuffled closer to the pegasus like her for safety, then thought it maybe rude to insinuate her to be more comfortable there. Helpless with what to make of that encounter her voice, finally found but meek, filled around them. "I am okay, I do not think I need any help. I was flying when a storm hit..." and then she woke up there. Where was there?
She wondered why they cared for her so much and if she was supposed to know them. They made her feel the same the land had: on the edge of some grand discovery, but whatever it was eluded her. "Home?" Catching what the blue-accented said, her puzzlement increased. "What is home here? I have only just arrived." She thought it was obvious, given her condition, and glanced toward the bearded as if he had a way to elaborate.

filling the darkness with order and light
you know your place in the sky

@[Torleik]
CREDITS

STARS FADING BUT I LINGER ON DEAR
STILL CRAVING YOUR KISS
(Please tag me in every post)

Knox Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 7 Years [Tallsun] HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen
The hunter and his companion choose to remain in the threshold forest a little while longer. It is exhaustion that first leads the pair to shut their eyes and rest, and hunger that drags their lids from shadow. Manhattan has awoken before Knox, and returned with expertly hunted game, as always. When Knox wakes he finds one rabbit at his forehooves, cleanly killed, and turns his blue eyes to see another between and beneath Manhattan's paws.

The retriever tears at the flesh, fresh red blood staining her paws and pale, downy fur catching in the slight breeze. The limbs of the rabbit are splayed and bent back; its eyes stare up at the stallion (for he is old enough now, he and his father think, to be called this at last,) entirely void of life. Knox's lips wrinkle with an instinct he has never before had. He turns to the rabbit at his own hooves once more, and notices with a pang of guilt that it's hindquarters are still twitching--its eyes, still searching frantically for escape.

Knox raises a hoof and brings it down on the poor creature's skull, crushing it instantly. The eyes pop from their sockets and grind into the threshold dirt; blood pools.

I am hungry, Knox, Dovev whispers, his voice sinister and dispassionate.
And I am not.
How long has it been?

Since he has tasted blood? Bitten into flesh, torn skin from bone and ground the red sinews of muscle between his teeth?

It has been a long time.

The weak one is gone.
Aylin was strong.
but now she is gone.
And still I will respect her.
You are weak.
You are dead.

Silence settles in the mind of the Sentinel's son. Knox clicks his tongue, beckoning for Manhattan to draw closer, beneath the safety of his cloak, and finish her meal. He leaves the rabbit's corpse behind, his front hoof leaving blood prints and the body of the prey lying still.

A landing above arrives just in time; Knox is glad he has just concealed himself. Patterns of light dance across his back, and the shadow of the mare in the trees that casts over him seems to erase his figure. Manhattan trails slightly behind Knox as he follows the winged mare from above, gnawing on a rib bone, wondering when her bonded will eat again.

But Knox cannot think of meals, now. He watches with fascination as a scene unfolds before him, its cast a trio he has never before seen. Odd, what we do not see when we aren't looking, isn't it, Manhattan?

The dog drops the bone and yips a quiet reply. Knox steps further back, hesitant and fearing they might be discovered, but the shadows of the forest are plenty--the ripples of light cast down in the canopy an apt camouflage. He watches the confusion--hears the concern in the voices of the mare from above and the two-pronged stallion--and his heart fills with sorrow at the misrecognition in the eyes of the starry one.

You aren't lost, Manhattan assures him, leaning against his hocks as she sends the message to her bonded. And it is true, that in some ways he is not lost. Knox knows Manhattan is right, that she almost always is. He is no longer like this mare, in some ways. But he was, once. He was possessed for so long, unable to control the minds in his matter, the magic of a curse.

Is it any better now that he can?

The mare is a picture of tragedy, painted in pale blues and gold. Her stars are splatters of nonexistence. Manhattan finds the bone once more; Knox mourns the loss of this mare's perhaps once beautiful mind.

""

[[Permission to cloak; Knox is unseen. @[Serenity], @[Torleik], Ampere (What permissions do I have from you, Blu?) ((100th post!))]]
Knox & Manhattan
Image Credits!

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Torleik the Bloodskald

Take me home

Something wasn't the same. This was not the same spitfire he'd encountered before, the same hopeful but angry mare who'd wanted to spar with him - who'd blamed Irelyn for hurting her when Irelyn was just protecting her bonded from Serenity's overreaction. But figuring out what it was that had altered about his...friend? would be difficult, considering the blue-assed bitch had arrived.

"Gods help me I can't get away from you," he grumbled inaudibly under his breath, immediately excessively annoyed that Ampere was present. Only once had she shown any manner of restraint and that was at his crowning. She wasn't exactly known to him for any modicum of common sense or self-control.

Home? Take Serenity home?

She must have joined the Dragon's Throat, then, at some point in the past. The Bloodskald tried to think back, tried to remember if he knew that, but it was all foggy. It had been so long since they'd seen one another and now...

"Home? What is home here? I have only just arrived."

Something in the confused way she relayed that, then looked at him for an answer made Torleik's heart crack. He tried to tell himself she only meant she'd just arrived from a trip, from wherever she'd gone but it would not explain how she didn't remember her home. "Serenity..." he began slowly, his throat feeling thick, "do you know where you are? What land this is?"

If you don't remember home...do you remember me?

"talk talk talk"

@[Serenity]

OOC: Ohh geez sorry I got swallowed by hunting for apartments and the stress of student loans not being right >.>

Art by araxel @ DA
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
HEART SICK_AND EYES FILLED UP WITH BLUE

The girl's response was a crushing blow to the lifted spirit inside Ampere. She physically balked at the response, one forelimb raised near her chest while her head lifted with surprise, and even alarm. The reaction was not swift though - Serenity's dismissal of a healer was not uncommon, a guise of strength drawn across weakness which Ampere knew all too well. Even her final, confused statement was not in and of itself abrasive, but rather the lost tone it carried, the emptiness in her eyes where memories ought to have shone. That was what set Ampere on edge, like smoke detected before flame.

Surely she needs a healer, Ampere's thoughts urged, and her flesh rippled with the desire to run and fetch Sikeax as fast as she could. The Mother of Companions remained however, because no matter how swift, would it be swift enough to return to the same spot with Serenity whole? Ampere's eyes slid towards Torleik, and she puffed out air from her nose gently as she regarded him. She certainly couldn't just leave Serenity here alone, with him. Although, she had to admit, his response was almost, tender. It made her wonder what these two had shared before, and why.

Truly, Ampere judged the braided man harshly, though the same could be said of many horses that she had faced. His worst crime was the taking of a life, like so many others had done, and age had given her leniency to that if only from constant exposure. He was a far better horse than Oxy, who's transgressions outranked nearly everyone`s on Ampere`s list. Still, it was hard to shake free of the hurt and rejection she felt whenever she saw the griffin in his company, and for that, she could never lend him her complete trust.

No, Ampere thought with certainty, her eyes flicking from his dark hide to the mottled one of her old friend, she could not leave the stars with the ice.

"The Dragon's Throat," Ampere breathed, finding herself as she unwound from her initial discomposure. "That was, is your home, here in Helovia." Ampere blinked, unsure of what was happening or what could be done. If she couldn't leave Serenity to fetch Sikeax, could she at least convince her to travel to the healer, and there repair whatever had been broken inside her?

"You left, suddenly. None knew where you had gone, or why, or when. We were working together to solve the mystery of the grisly murders around the realm. I-" Ampere trailed off, riddled with guilt now that she shared it all aloud (her attempt at reminding the starry girl of things forgotten). It was like Kari all over again, and the irony of it burned Ampere as the very mare that suggested she find the child, was now lost and found herself. Ampere could have done more... should have, certainly. "I thought perhaps you were afraid, many were, and still are now that the criminal has been unveiled..." No shame in fear Ampere's words suggested, though if she meant them just for Serenity or not was unclear.

She fell quiet for a moment, glancing back at Torleik, as if he might have an answer for their shared link to the mare. Exhaling softly, Ampere turned back to her, stepping forward and extending her muzzle slowly. "I don't know what's happened Serenity, but you've had a life here, and still do. Maybe the healer can help you?"

[See my signature Jen ;D I'm fine with whatever!]

A M P E R E

plaguedog.deviantart.com

@[Serenity]

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.