the Rift

[PRIVATE] All or nothing?
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

The northern mountains, home for so long, no longer held their steady sway. Her invitation had gone, and though she had established herself independently, the reason… the purpose… Well, it had all disappeared. Familiar faces drifted in and out of her vision, the mountains more of a prison than protection. After the herd’s involvement with the Falls, little had happened, and her attempts at change were slowly whisked away – whether by her own fault or the nature of the herd, she was not sure. Without Torleik there, she did not feel cohesive. An important element tying her to the rest of the herd was gone, and she was an interloper once more. How long before they realized that she was a wolf in sheep’s clothing? How long before Thranduil figured her out and reported to Deimos?

Ophelia had all the best desires for the Aurora Basin, and the snow and mountains was as close to home as she had ever come, but now she realized that she had grown. Her heart was no longer operating independently, linked only to the land and her own desires. Thoughts wandered to Torleik’s three little haunting words, and the apology for saying it at such an inopportune time. Maybe that was true, but lost among the irritation she felt for others and her own failings, she had time to discover what that meant – to her.

The journey north and her brief attempt to be Lady again had provided clarity as she searched her mind and memories. Torleik’s words mingled with those of the Sun God, telling her that it was worth the risk.

"The choice is yours. You might live with doubt resting always on your shoulders, where your decisions, because they are guided by the need to be sure, might always be free of criticism. Or ... you might let yourself fall. Open yourself to the accusations of others so that you might trust in them."

The Sun God spoke in her mind as if it were yesterday, and she stopped in her tracks, staring down the metal, sentinel guards. Ophelia took a deep, hesitating breath before casting her cloak of invisibility and turning sharply on her haunches. There was no turning back, no looking over her shoulder. The decision was simple, one that could shatter her in thousands of indefinable pieces, or maybe this was the one chance she had at being whole. He promised it would work from a distance, and she had her doubts. She did not want any factor beside themselves to be a reason that they failed.

“"Love does not ask for permission Ophelia." He continued. "Nor does it require perfection."

She was anything put perfect. The light that hung from her horn bobbed and shone brilliant as she picked up speed, cloven hooves carrying her with easy, ethereal grace across the snowy north. Only clouds of white in her wake gave hint of her passing, invisible as she was, but at some point, the power faded. When trees grew tall and the dirt grew soft, her pale, white coat with bloody crimson tresses shimmered into view – perhaps when her path was set and her choice made.

Ophelia did not hesitate as she ran into the wooded realm of the Moon, strange, two colored eyes seeking Torleik, breathless. Days may have passed. Time was meaningless now. She saw him standing there, and she could care less if anyone was close by – she did not even notice. Earnestly, she sought his blue, pure gaze, trying to catch her breath but knowing that she could not give any chance for doubt to block her words.

“Torleik,” she said softly. “I… I want… I want to live here with you…” she said, nervousness evident on her worried, delicate features. “You said… you said to be selfish, and, I am. I want to be with you.”

Ophelia paused, taking a deep breath. “Will… you have me here?”

Heartstrings Come Undone
You know I'm trying to believe that you're never gonna leave...
Art by: veradaine @ DA

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
I hold you in like a deep breath

After being crowned king, Torleik had managed a brief exchange with the woman who held his heart. It had been short, unavoidably rushed - they both had duties to attend to and neither could linger. He'd reminded her that distance mattered not to him and that he would visit soon; that she should do the same, when her travels brought her near. His words were heartfelt, but...he had wished for more. More time. More time to speak to her, to show her his love. Perhaps...an evening to spend together for some manner of solidifying this bond not only through words, but through action as well.

That was not to be. The Bloodskald had spent his days exploring his herdland, discussing the changes and updates to be made with Mauja, learning his new co-ruler, discovering said co-ruler's daughter and the fact that Mauja would be forever linked by family to Ophelia given that Psyche was the mother...

He sighed, pawing at the ground with a solid hoof. That one...that one was new, and that one seemed to prick beneath his skin, dig in like a splinter stuck in a raw wound. Then again, the Time God would always be family, given his siring of Ophelia's daughter. The Black King dropped his head low, absently taking up a mouthful of grass. Where was he to leave his mark in all of this? Satisfaction should be his that he claimed Ophelia's heart but...he was only mortal, and he was insecure and jealous and possessive and fragile in so many ways he hated to admit.

Would she always love him? Would he always love her? Would she trust him? Could he trust her? Would the distance break them apart before they even started? Would they have any children? Would she love them? Bitter thoughts slipped to Brisa and her twins but he pushed them away, burying them deep. No. He would not let that...indiscretion mar his present any longer. For now, there was a brief respite in his duties. They would hold a series of herd meetings soon, but that moment was not now.

He could recruit but...he was weary. Not now. So he simply stood, and simply was and it was...good. Irelyn was off hunting and he was left with his thoughts and the sound of the waves crashing futilely against the cliffs far off - perfect serenity, were he closer to the edge of the sheer rock faces. He was King of the Moon's land - surely she was pleased; surely she at least felt a modicum of oblectation.

The sound of hooves and breathing caught his senses and he flicked an ear towards the source, curiously turning his head in time to see none other than Ophelia barreling towards him.

"Phi?"

Torleik blinked roughly, assuming his tired mind was playing tricks on him and that it was merely a similarly colored mare he was making to look like Phi because he desired her presence. But she spoke and the voice was his Ophelia's and...the Bloodskald realized this was actually happening.

She was here.

Why? Was something wrong? Deep, horrified concern flooded his system and slammed him awake completely and he turned towards her, ready to fight, to run, to come to her aid - but all she needed was him, and a place to stay. She wanted to live here, with him, to be with him. The God of Time himself had selected her as lead of the Basin and she was willing to throw that away to be with him, here, in the World's Edge?

Pride, pleasure and joy swelled almost painfully large in his chest and his tail flicked excitedly as he closed the distance between them, running his muzzle along her neck, smelling her, feeling the heat she gave off from the exertion to make it here, the slight taste of sweat on her skin.

"That isn't even a question you need ask of me - of course I will," black lips rumbled against her hot flesh, embracing her tightly. "I want nothing more than to go to sleep every night with you next to me and wake up with you still laying there, warm and content," he hummed into an ear, gently giving it a soft nip. She was here and he'd missed her and how could he ever let her go again? Perhaps his display of affection was unwarranted in such an open space but he wanted badly to be close to her and this was the best way he knew how.

"But what of the Basin?" asked the king, pulling back just enough to gaze into her beautiful features. A frown crossed his face. "What of Mauja, here? That I...do not...like," Torleik said honestly, trying to be diplomatic. It was not lack of trust regarding Ophelia but rather his insecurity, lack of trust directed towards his fellow leader, and a desire to never have to see the two of them interact. It made him feel as if his heart might explode and every atom in his body was vibrating at the same time. The Bloodskald grunted. "But I want you here. I am glad you are here. My heart is glad."

He touched his muzzle to hers, briefly, letting the joy of the moment outweigh his concerns. Ophelia was here. For him.

She loved him.

@[Ophelia]

OOC: Oh Torleik.

"talk talk talk"

[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

Ophelia watched the way he blinked at her, staring as if she was not really there. She wondered what he was thinking, but she was too breathless and afraid of her own failings to pay too much mind. As she stood for a few seconds, she was glad that he waited -glad that he didn't say anything. She knew that she was not brave enough say what she needed to if he interrupted or stopped her train of thought. Fear of rejection, being wrong, failing... they were all so great. This decision was all or nothing, and that was terrifying. If this failed? She would have no one to blame but herself, and the guilt would eat her alive.

She did not think of the Time God, Deimos, the herd or anyone else really when she told Torleik what she wanted -that she was being selfish, for once, and choosing this path that she wanted for herself. Earnest eyes sought his deep blue ones, more mysterious than the ocean, and she held her breath, waiting for his response and praying that it would not tear her in two. Every molecule of her body was on edge, quivering with anticipation, and then he closed the distance.

His warm, taller form eclipsed her own, bearded muzzle sliding along the sweaty, damp skin of her neck. Ophelia let the side of her face fall against his shoulder, taking a deep breath of his musky, masculine scent. Perhaps, for the first time, she know the definition of home. It was here. Home was wherever she could stop her traveling hooves and rest her head against his neck, and this was a beautiful, honest revelation. The rumble of his voice bounced across her skin, and she closed her eyes, letting his words fall like cleansing rain upon her ears.

A wide grin crossed her lips at his words, his lips grabbing hold of her delicate tipped ear. The gesture made her heart crash in her chest, and she stepped back only to be able to look into his eyes just as he did the same. Reality set in with his question, and her smile turned to a grim line, realizing that she had to go back and tell Deimos. She would not leave them to their own devices with no knowledge, and she loathed the fact that they wouldn't understand. How could they? She had never seen any go running after lost lovers - none had disappeared claiming that the heart was their first priority.

She was not sure why he was so worried about Mauja, especially considering his muzzle was jammed so far up Kahlua's neck, they were practically breathing the same air. The thought was bitter, though she had no reason to be, and she sighed heavily, leaning her weight onto one hide leg as she considered her options. "I need to go back and let them know," she said quietly. "They will need to replace me, and I have no doubts that a few of them will be all... impotently offended... by my leaving."

The pale princess grimaced and shook her head. Well, they would have to deal without her, she supposed. They were losing quite a bit in her absence since the leaders were now all of her close friends.

"Mauja's new... fling... is Kahlua," she grunted. "I learned from his daughters, one from my aunt and the other from Sialia, that he apparently does not stick around for long," she muttered quietly. "You do not have to worry about him nor myself. We are able to work together without lingering feelings." Unless those feeling are anger or bitterness, in which case, she had plenty.

Ophelia smiled, pressing her muzzle against his as well. "I need to go inform the Aurora Basin then," she said quietly. "I will return, and then you can find a job for me, yes? Being a spy would please me, of course, but I will do whatever it is your herd needs."

@[Torleik]

Heartstrings Come Undone
You know I'm trying to believe that you're never gonna leave...

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
I hold you in like a deep breath

The weight of her face against his shoulder was comforting, telling him that she accepted his embrace, welcomed his touch. Torleik nipped at her ear affectionately, finding her dual-toned eyes gazing into his when he searched for her gaze, happiness touching them in such a beautiful way. It thrilled him she was happy but it didn't change that he worried, that he had questions, doubts, like any mortal man.

Her previous position. Mauja. Relations with the Basin. Likely Deimos would not be thrilled to be losing a general and a Lady at once. Ophelia sighed and Torleik wanted nothing more than to draw her to him again, take her weight, perhaps nip at that hip that popped out so alluringly as she shifted...

Focusing on her words, he snorted. Impotently offended. True. What had Deimos ever done when presented with any threat or offense? His mere reputation was enough to keep others from bothering him, and his death magic aided that quite well. Still. The Bloodskald felt strongly that he could be beaten. The Forsaken informed him they would have to get through life somehow without her and hearing her re-state in her own way that she was most definitely staying was...soothing to his soul.

His daughters? How many children did Mauja have? From how many different women? Men such as that were frowned upon where he came from, sowing their seed and not remaining to tend to it. "I do not worry about you," he rumbled. "I do not trust him not to be reminded of what he's lost by your proximity and seek to prove to you he's worthy now, somehow. I would...hate to have to kill a fellow hirdman." There was no doubt left to be had: what he spoke was what he intended.

Hirdman was foreign to her tongue and would sound strange, like heerthman, but the meaning of a fellow hird member would be conveyed. "I noticed he and Kahlua seemed to be sharing a pelt, but who knows how long that will last. I've not known Kahlua to have an exceptional reserve of common sense, however," he quipped. Phi pressed her muzzle to his and his heart skipped, his whole body warming - but it was cooled when she informed him that she needed to go again, go to the Basin, tell them of her choice.

He didn't want her to leave so soon. But...he understood. Mostly. She stated being a spy would please her though she would perform whatever duties the herd needed. Torleik smirked. "Well then. Clearly I must do what pleases my woman," he rumbled, his roguish grin directed at her. Torleik pressed his muzzled to the side of hers once more, softly. "I will make you a head spy and let them flail uselessly over the clear favoritism. Go. I will need to inform the Basin of my departure as well, soon. Do what you need to do."

I will be here.

@[Ophelia]

"talk talk talk"

[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!