the Rift

[OPEN] if only the clockwork could speak
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo

i am the vanguard of your destruction
Something had to be said for work: it took your mind off things. It filled the black, empty spaces in you up with something else—purpose—and even if it was a hollow comfort, it was better than the bone-deep, harrowing despair. It could so easily be taken away—all he needed was to lose his crown, and he'd be back where he'd come from.. a stray with a listless, restless heart, a spark with no fuel, a sword with no wielder.

But he forgot about all those things when he had something to do, something tangible, something worthwhile, something so achingly familiar—go to the Threshold. Pick up lost souls. Slowly rebuild from the ashes of your herd. Strengthen the bonds, strengthen the numbers, strengthen the souls and become what they had been before: a sort of unruly, deviant family. There had been strength there. There had been loyalty

his thankless mind flashes him snatches of conversations with Tolio, the man who had worshiped him, and how he lay dead and freezing in the ice corridors of the north

—and some kind of desire to stay together—to fight for their home when the Dragonwhore came with her army. They had tried. They had tried so desperately but in the end, they had lost. But something, and not Mauja because Mauja had found himself spiraled away through time and space, had held them together, and they had found the Basin and that asshole God, and.. things had gone better for them, he figured. He had left them to roam, but they still held their home.

The ground began to gently slope upwards, tall and thick trees slowly conquering the horizon as the brittle and dying grasses of the Meadow gave way to bushes and the shorter grazing of a forest.

World's Edge.

A sight for sore eyes—a sight so achingly familiar, but a love he couldn't quite accept. Things were so different, and he was afraid of loving what had been and failing to understand that this wasn't a repetition of his past, but something new, the present, here and now, and things were different because even if it was a unicorn he led home.. the next time, it could be someone without a horn.

It chilled his soul. Change was terrifying, but change was life.

"Home," he said quietly to Tembovu, breaking the travel silence as he made his way down a worn path with ease. The day's thinner fog was thickening now that the sun was sinking towards a blood red horizon beyond the trees—too distant to be seen as more than a fiery orange blur above the barren crowns—and taking the warmth with it to its watery grave. Mauja's eyes flashed to his new-found brother for a moment, before—before that thing always happened. The translucent shimmer in the distance became close, and real, two owls flying overhead as he drew up next to the remnants of something sharp, something shattered and broken, tumbled to the ground and spread out, crumbled and crushed like so much else.

The ruins of the glass wall. Rain had whipped it and magic had sundered it, but it still ran like a fracture across the border. "This.. mess is our doorstep—a remnant of someone else's hypocrisy and narrow-minded ways. Be careful, though. Rain isn't strong enough to blunt its edges." Where they stood it lay in ruins, sprawling in the autumn grass but also remaining standing in large stretches, sharp-edged holes blown in it at intervals, easily allowing a horse to step over its broken foundation. And that was what Mauja did, leaving a few tail hairs snagged in some crack, before stopping and turning to watch Tembovu, hopefully, follow suit. The gap was more than wide enough to accommodate the thick stallion.

To think that Kahlua built this...

"You said you would welcome work. In what field?" Maybe it seemed abrupt—blunt, even, but there was kindness and curiosity in his tone, in his eyes, in his posture—proud head tall but tilted, black-rimmed ears swept eagerly forward. His gaze flickered down Tembovu's body, then back up again. Mauja would not make assumptions about anyone. ".. after all, a man's future need not be dictated by his scars."

[ welcoming for @[Tembovu], anyone welcome! ^^ ]
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
Tembovu

The trek to the World’s Edge and his new home was short, relative to his travels to get there. The two titans, one white one silver, travelled in comfortable silence that only two men can have. At least the silence was an easy one for Tembovu- and it seemed Mauja was not one for idle chatter.

The mammoth flicked a ear and a glance toward Mauja as he spoke the single word. ’Home’. Now that was a word to kick one in the barrel. He snorted gently at the feeling and nodded his large horn in confirmation. His black ivory hooves left massive hoofprints behind him as the ascended, and the fog began to gather on his wiry coat and loosely spiralled horn.

He paused, still silent, to let Mauja speak of the mangled mess of glass before them and pass through it. It was uncharacteristic of him, to remain so quiet. Perhaps it was apprehension. Perhaps it was surreal, to be chasing a new fate, a new life, a new destiny, after so many years spent on just revenge.

The giant waited a touch longer than was necessary to pass through, thankful that Mauja had chosen a gap large enough for his bulk. As he passed between the razor glass, he let out a long sigh, releasing the tension in his heavily muscled frame. He left considerably more black strands than Mauja’s white ones with the shards- maybe as a rite of passage to the World’s edge. “While I appreciate hair trims and grooming, I certainly hope some of the work you spoke of is to clean this mess up,” finally his easy words boom out. His tone held agreement with Mauja’s commentary on hypocrisy, and a small lopsided smile passed over his face.

Tembovu appreciated the bluntness. While he could, and would, maintain smalltalk to put others at ease, he preferred to be in motion. He liked direction, he liked plans, he liked goals. Continuing after Mauja, he smiled easily once more, “I would hope not, for I’ve too many scars to follow them,” he chuckled lowly, bobbing his great head towards the coatless skin of his shoulder. The dark skin was shiny, with a network of scars that the tree bark had revealed in the threshold.

“I obviously offer brawn and muscle. I also have plenty of combat experience, though I’m rusty and will need practice,” he smiled ruefully, “I’ve also dealt with a fair amount of politics,” this was an impressive understatement, “But I’d prefer to stay away from that, if I could.” The last statement was said emphatically, deep voice rolling strongly from his barrel.

“You look like you’d be good to refresh my battle skills, Mauja. I’d be flattered if you would,” this was said almost as a question. His dark blue eyes studied the muscular stallion- his new leader- and he grinned. “Oh, and if there’s anything of importance you think I should know? Leaders? Laws? Gods and goddesses to not piss off, besides our lovely Moon Lady?” he laughed now, striped barrel shaking, “I’ve been through enough scrapes as a younger stallion. I’d prefer to limit my close calls, here.”

ooc| @[Mauja] Sorry about the wait <3
Image // Coding

Please tag Tembovu.
Ascended Helovian

"Aye," he responded with the flick of one ear, head turning slightly away as pale blue eyes peered out over the jagged glass horizon. "We mean to.. take it down." It was a hesitant confession, because—because, well.. it was a wall, but one they did not mean to repair. It was a stupid remnant of a stupid defense, but Tembovu had the looks of a soldier—and he knew what another soldier, uneducated about the past of this particular wall, had thought about tearing down such a monument.

But Mauja had explained and Torleik had seen reason, and they had agreed on another defense, and—and maybe, hopefully, Tembovu would see the truth of the darker side of the wall.. aside from giving you a hair trim upon passing.

It divided hearts, as well as armies.

And Mauja wouldn't stand for that.

If the stallion would inquire, he would answer; but if not, he would let the subject lie. The wall was a depressing thing, like static on the radio—something that cropped up each time he came or left home, but something that didn't add up with what his heart told him ought to be there. He wasn't sure if he should appreciate it or not, that.. wake-up call, that things had changed.

"Mmh," he hummed in quiet agreement, listening to the stranger speak. Either the long walk had made him hoard his words, or it had eased his mind, because while he hadn't exactly been short-spoken in the Threshold, this was practically a flood tumbling out of the burly man's mouth. At the mention of politics, Mauja snorted. Part of him wanted to thrust Tembovu into a political position, such as an emissary of sorts, just to see what it was like from the outside—to see a warrior carrying a white flag and trying to juggle the slippery minds of the other nations.

But then again—why put someone else through his own misfortune? He'd picked this path himself, no need to thrust someone else down it just because they happened to pique his curiosity and whet the appetite of his laid-back sadism.

"Oh?" he finally said, raising a 'brow and peering at the silvered stallion. Now that was flattering, that someone saw his scars and his muscle and instead of thinking oh shit what a loser, actually thought they meant something other than an incredibly unhealthy lifestyle. Or it wasn't a compliment, but a suggestion Mauja act his punching bag. And if so.. well, maybe he was in for a surprise.

But first, questions, questions that needed answers.

And I'm not going to tell you my rank, sorry.

"Don't walk off the edge? It's kinda a one-way ticket to the ocean floor." Humor laced his smirk as he turned his back on the wall and began to move deeper into the autumn forest; winter's chill upon the biting wind, but the first snowfall had not yet come. "Torleik is King here, and for the time being, our laws are sparse—something along the effects of 'use common sense and don't do stupid shit'. The glorious Lady Moon has three brothers—Earth, who is patron of the Hidden Falls, ruled by Kaj and what's-his-face—Archibald. They're the herd that left the Edge. Earth is.. pretty cool. Sun is patron of the Dragon's Throat, and it's full of sand and morons and fire. He's, uhm.. pretty hot-headed. And then there's Spark, or Time, up in the Aurora Basin. He's a right git." And I have a personal grudge. "Beware of the Lord of the Basin, Deimos. He kinda sucks your soul out of your body if you stand too close."

He sighed, pausing to rub his shoulder against a tree. "The gods are dangerous, but they also act .. childishly from time to time, making it easy to become infuriated with them," he said quietly. "The less you interact with them, the better, I'd say. Good things rarely come of it."

[ Sorry for the wait, tagging @[Leeka] as well as @[Tembovu]! ]

Tembovu

His large, white ears flick towards him, they were taking it down? Dark blue gaze sweeps across the expanse of the broken glass. That would be quite a project. And, certainly, they would need to replace it with something. Perhaps wooden spikes? Or noisemakers for when someone crossed the borders? Maybe a wire system endowed with the darker magic of the Lady Moon? Or maybe—

He cut off his train of thought. These were decisions that were not meant for him- he did not want to be in the position of decisions (did he?). He just wanted to have an uncomplicated life in the lands (right?). But it was hard to make the transition, he was finding. Old habits die hard. So instead, he simply said, “I hope we plan to replace it with other protection, then.” And then he let the subject alone.

A short, low chuckle hummed deep in his throat at the white stallion’s tongue-in-cheek humor. He paused his giant sweeping strides as the speckled stud spoke of the gods so commonly, eyeing him as he scratched a shoulder on a tree. How different Helovia was- his old land had only two gods. A creator and a destroyer. If they graced the earth, great and unspeakable things happened. So they rarely did.

He sighs then, blowing a loud breath out from his thick lips, realizing that this place might be even more eventful than his old home. At least there were no conquests to be had or campaigns to lead— he hoped, anyway. In any case, he wouldn’t partake of them.

Then what did he want to do? What would occupy his days?
Did he want a family? Could he ever handle that in the face of his loss? Did he want to fight? Did he want to teach? Did he want to heal?

He glanced at Mauja, realizing that his personal existential crisis was leading him to be rather quiet. And possibly miss parts of the information he had imparted. He reviewed the names, ’Torleik, Kaj, Archibald. Edge, Falls. Deimos, Basin, soul-sucking. Childish gods. Got it.’

“Then I’ll avoid them as best as I can,” the corners of his thick black lips turned upwards. “It sounds like you’ve some interesting stories behind that advice. Perhaps we can swap some at a later time,” his offer was genuine, but casual. He wasn’t sure the icy stallion would be keen on bonding over shared stories- in fact he highly doubted it. But his offer still stood.

His lopsided smile grew larger, and he nodded his great head, large horn gesturing over the impressive stature of Mauja, “And yes, I meant it when I said you could refresh my skills. Whenever you’re not… recruiting? Or doing whatever else you do for the herd? I’d certainly appreciate it,” perhaps his words could be insulting, but he certainly did not mean his questions to be.

He glanced back over his shoulder once more, at the broken glass, then swung his eyes back around to his herd brother. He felt the urge to get to work, but he wasn’t sure that this was the time to press the matter. Snorting at his indecision- he was certainly thrown off balance in this new land, for he was rarely indecisive- he simply opted for a question, “Is there a job that needs doing, now? I’d welcome one-,” his crooked smile faded, “If not, then I suppose I’d best get acquainted with the lay of my new home.”

ooc| wow, he had a lot to say. I went to end this post a few times, but Temb didn’t want to stop >.< @[Mauja]

Image // Coding

Please tag Tembovu.
Ascended Helovian

There was a span of silence that seemed out of place. Not wrong or uncomfortable, just.. out of place. His ears strained to catch what he had expected to hear (though what that was nobody knew), only to find.. nothing. It even had his head turning, the faintest hint of concern beginning to overtake the curiosity, but as he laid eyes on the other the miniscule pause ended. “Then I’ll avoid them as best as I can,” he was saying, with a slight smile beginning to curve his dark lips. Maybe it was cruel of him to denounce the Gods so openly in front of a newcomer, but he figured it was better to bash whatever hopes he had had in them quickly, before he learned the bitter taste of disappointment.

After all, Mauja had been devout when he first came here—struck by the elegance and deadly beauty of the Lady Moon. He had dedicated his words to her, he had declared them a herd of Moon-followers, he had even worn her pale light like a shadow across his eyes during the night, the feathers of her ravens woven into his tail—but it had all been for naught. He couldn't fault her for choosing d'Artagnan over him. He couldn't fault her for accepting Mirage's scum.

But he could fault her for her lackadaisical treatment of her own son, Mesec. He could fault her for lies, the deceit, the violence she had played out on Helovia's inhabitants.

(And he could love her for the blessing rains after the Sun's scorching flames, and for all that she had done while leaving their world in darkness.)

But the good did not outweigh the bad.

So he walked deeper into their home, Tembovu chattering happily in his wake, or by his side, wherever the silver giant chose to walk, one ear on the surroundings, one ear on his new brother. "Perhaps," he agreed quietly, something in his flurry of thoughts about the Moon having dampened his spirits, or at least his voice—his blue gaze slid sideways, onto the other stallion. "We've both got scars enough to turn each other white with fright of our stories." Despite the rather solemn tone of his voice something flashed in his eyes—the least he could do to try and reassure the other he hadn't spontaneously died within (which, to be fair, he had, but he was working on getting his spark back to life).

He wasn't sure if it was cruel of him to keep his rank so secret as he did—and after all, if no one knew him as their Queen, how would they know to follow him in battle? (but loyalty never comes of words, it comes of deeds and hearts). If he was worthy of following, they would follow regardless. Still, he preferred to get to know another—get them to know him—without all the fuss of impressing and my lord-ing or my liege-ing, a lesson Aurelius had well and truly driven home many, many years ago.

Still, the runty little stallion had dared to gone swimming with a King.
(He had been a King in those days.)

"Once I've filled you in on all you need to know I'm done for the day," he said with a grin, as if he couldn't quite decide whether to play oblivious to Tembovu's fishing for his rank—because really, for some reason, he'd hate to say it. To.. spoil this easy-going thing by potentially turning Tembovu into a top-notch solider just saying aye, sir, of course, sir, sir, sir, sir, like fuck it man, prove it to me instead—prove that you have a heart.

It was a risk he was getting increasingly uncomfortable with taking, with anyone, so he dodged the subject as he led him deeper into the firs and the fog. "Right now, now-now?" He turned his white head to peer at the other. "Unless you feel like kicking the wall down for a few hours .. no. Well. I mean." He sighed. "Look, we're still sort of .. scatter-brained about what we're doing, here. 'I want to take the wall down'. Okay, he says. But we're gonna put up spikes instead. 'Sure', I say. But then there's no one to do it, because there's no one to step up and take the Moon's glass magic—so we can't really do anything about it, and that glass is magic-hardened, so for us to kick it down, even now when it's more fragile, is going to be a lot more demanding than a glass-smith just ..reversing the process.

"So if you know what you want to do, I could send you to the head of the class, if there exists one. There's always a need for warriors; we're pretty well-established in the area of healers, but if you feel that path calling to you, you can always train with them. I won't prevent anyone from nurturing whatever skill set they want. We have practically no religious zealots—"
He glanced at Tembovu as if to say, I know I just said I don't like the gods but hey, I'm not alone on this ship, "—and I really don't know where our Seer, the direct link to our goddess, has gone to," owowowow because that was supposed to be Kahlua. "There's two paths of diplomacy: one that's up-front, one that's done behind the backs of others. And finally, that glass-smith we really could do with but." He shrugged. "There's nothing immediate, no, so if you want to think it over a while you're welcome to. Or if you already know what you wanna do, just let me know and I'll point you in a promising-looking direction." He shrugged again as he walked deeper. "Or there's that I-finish-answering-your-questions-and-we-fight thing, but maybe you'd rather rest after your travels before you start butting heads?"

A dark smile flashed in the deepening autumn darkness, the blue spark of his eyes lighting up again for a moment.

He couldn't quite recall the last time he'd rambled like this.

Idiot.

[ @[Tembovu], no worries xP this one won't shut up either. ]

Tembovu

Deep blue eyes study the white stud at his quieted tone as he walked beside him, step for step, strides as well-matched as their heights and statures. ”Indeed we do,” was all he returned, and he let the subject drop in response to the solemnity that entered the white stud’s voice. He was a listening ear, a fellow to commiserate with, but he was not one to pry. Unless it was for another’s rank- which Mauja seemed pretty bent on not divulging.

He smiled wryly to himself, and let that sleeping dog lie as well. Between the broken glass, ranks, and past stories, there was a pack of sleeping dogs left in his wake. The thought brought an amused twinkle to his deep eyes, enhancing the streaks of light blue among the navy.

“I’m not sure I know another ‘now’ besides ’now-now’,” the humor that laced his tone caught up to the amusement in his eyes. He then fell silent and walked beside his white friend as he spoke. Possibly the most he had heard the speckled stallion speak, yet- and that realization made him satisfied- he wasn’t sure why.

Maybe he was starved for interaction. Genuine interaction. Certainly the past two years of traveling alone had been- well, lonely. But his life ever since his loss, ever since his adherence to revenge and justice, had been lonely. Surface friends were all he had ever had. Convenient acquaintances, useful friendships, informational mistresses— good gods but he was glad to leave that behind.

Regardless, he continued his long strides, ears trained on Mauja, listening to his words. But his eyes flickered around the forests, taking in the thick trees (though, thankfully, not as close together as the difficult trunks of the Threshold). Idly, he wondered how far they were away from the cliffs the snowy stud had spoken of.

“I guess I’ll leave the glass for another day, then. But-,” indeed something else Mauja had said piqued his interest, “a glass-smith? I might be a bull in a china shop, but that certainly sounds interesting-” He broke off for a moment, eyes crinkling in thought as the logical, warrior side of him argued with this fancy whim. “Though, it would be foolish to not use me as a sword…” he trailed off, unsure if he could be both. He didn’t see why not, but he was new to Helovia. “So point me in either direction, I suppose.” He finished lamely, grimacing at his indecision yet again. What was wrong with him?!

“Oh, I’d welcome a head-butt as a relief from the monotony of my travels,” he grinned lopsidedly once more, for the beginning of his travels had been eventful, but the last year had been painfully not so- which was why he was so incredibly out of shape, “But how far are we from the cliffs? I’d like to see them first, before you show me how soft I’ve become,” he chuckled, the deep sound rumbling from his black striped, half silver and half white barrel.

ooc| Do unicorns say ‘bull in a china shop’? I was trying to think of something else, but I wasn’t sure that a “stud in a trinket cave” had the same ring to it xD
OH and I can make a spar post (if I’m next on your list) next! Or if you’re done with you other spars.
edit// ohmyGLOB I posted this on the wrong board. -facepalm-
Image // Coding

Please tag Tembovu.