the Rift

Feathers and Dust

Archangel Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
...ARCHANGEL...

WHEN EVERYTHING EVERYTHING YOU touch TURNS TO GOLD

WHO CAN YOU TRUST?

Somewhere in the trees up above, amidst the strange mix of light and shadow, a squirrel went chattering off in what was oh so clearly a scolding tone. Archangel rolled his eyes in time with sharp toss of the head.

It wasn't as though it was that early to be up and about.

Then again, maybe it was precisely that early to be galloping pell-mell through a strange woods. If so, however, the stallion simply couldn't be bothered. He was having too much fun trying to make his legs outrace the sound of his heart. He cleared a fallen tree with barely a hitch in his stride, still hitting the other side lightly enough to turn a few lengths later and avoid a thicker grove.

The sun was slanting sideways through the trunks beside him, making his shadow run through grey and gold bars in the dirt.

He'd been laying around on his flanks for long enough, barely having gone faster than a trot the past few days. What could he say? There'd been a patch of clover, a small brook. It was all a 3/4 ton hunk of white fur and food drive could ever dream about.

This place though - this area he'd come racing into without a second thought. There was something different about it. Something even more untouched than the hills and oceansides he'd wandered along before. There was something... something he couldn't quite pin down. Was it the scent? - sparkling fresh, dust old and almost... thunder-like all at once. Was it the sounds? thick with animal activity in a lull so complete that one would think it had never even heard of humans. The sights? Hell, even the colors looked brighter here.

Hey, seemed good to him and he wasn't one to question. He'd been sold on the non-humany bit. Course that would mean greater numbers of predators. Perhaps he ought to have thought to slow down, to scent things and check for other game trails, but Arch couldn't be bothered - he was having too much fun galloping with high knees, arched neck and mane flying like the goddamn bird he was.

notes: first post here! open to anyone who feels like dealing with something a little unorthodox!

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
As it was, I’d seen my fair share of bloodied pasts and scars to accompany them. I’d heard numerous stories of heartache and betrayal, loss and consequential grief… I wanted to witness something fresh, something honest in a world so rapt with opinion. I hoped that I’d again find some peace in the all chaos that had resulted from the invasion of the Hidden Falls… Progression was all that any of us could hope for anymore.

The thunderous sounds of footfall tempted me from my reveling and made Sabine stir from her fitful slumber, despite her gift for sleeping through most of the day. I was certain that I hadn’t heard the rhythmic beating until now, but its nearness made me nervous despite my size and ability to fend for myself. It was like tracking a storm and not knowing when the rains would come or when the lightening would come close enough to batter the earth with its electrical war cry.

In a moment of sudden apprehension, I gathered my hinds beneath me, ready to fight or flee. It was not often that creatures were so at ease gallivanting through the Threshold, given its unfamiliarity. However, I’d encountered many questionable beasts in these woods and somehow I felt that, despite my suspicions, I was about to cross paths with yet another.

When the pale shape of the stallion broke free of the underbrush, sailing over hedges and fallen trees alike, I was forced into a rigid stillness. What was wrong with him? What was he running from? I cautioned a glace toward the quiet wood from which he came and found neither wolf nor big cat hot on his heels- what in the Gods name was going on? On instinct, I lunged forward into a lumbering trot that jostled the young Zephyr as she attempted to settle against my poll. She squawked and jeered, her cries lifting raucously toward the high heavens to which she pled. However, I was no longer waiting for the bleached stallion to slow or to notice my company- I had other plans in mind.

Hey!” I shouted after him, my voice growing in timbre as I trailed after him. “What’s got you in such a hurry?” I questioned breathlessly. In an attempt to slow him down, I paced myself until fluidly stepping into a quick-gaited walk. If he desired direction or perhaps protection from whatever ailed him, then I was offering myself quite selflessly… even if I thought him to suffer from more than the unseen predators giving him chase. The next few moments were crucial; if he planned on pausing, I would take advantage of the standstill to assess his intentions here, and if not… well, let the Gods save him.
THOR
image credits

@[Archangel]

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Unregistered
...ARCHANGEL...

WHO CAN YOU TRUST?

The scent of another horse reached Archangel's nose. Stallion. Wild. Alone. That was about all he got out of it before his eyes caught up with his nose. Meh. the wind wasn't much on his side anyway.

But ho-ly hell they grow em big here.

Big, and dark coated with more feathering on his legs than the bird on his back could boast for its whole body. Out of the corner of his eye, Arch saw him shift and move, looking something like a boulder. But graceful. Words. It was too early for them. Anyway, height Arch was used to, sure, but this one looked like he could fight a bear and come off without a nick.

Scratch that, this one looks like he ate the bear.

The white stallion was still galloping along, the stranger having had the advantage of first sighting. But the mudstained legs of the pale stud pulled up short. He went from full tilt to full stop in the flash of an eye using an old dressage trick - one stride right, one stride left and turn. As quickly as he'd appeared, Arch had stopped, and was now more or less facing the other stallion. His sides might have been shuddering a bit with the wind of a good run, but there was no white to his eyes and no nervous flick to his tail. But if he wasn't showing fear, he wasn't posing and prancing either. Whoever this big 'un was, the white stallion guessed that he'd live a lot longer if he didn't try to tangle him. For all he knew, he'd stumbled onto a herdland - or a band's territory.

Again.

He really didn't need that kind of complication in his life.

The other stallion had called out, voice deep but not overly aggressive sounding in tone. "What's got you in such a hurry?" Not exactly the words of a predator. Arch threw up his head, scenting the wind and letting his ears swivel about and salute forward. "You need an excuse to run?" He snorted, more from the charge than anything. His forehooves were still light in the dirt, muscles twitching to be off and glistening with sweat they weren't done showing. The white stallion swung his arched neck around, pink muzzle slashing through the morning shadows. He swung his body sideways in one stride, then back the other, a clear display of encouraging movement.

Looks like he could use a good jog anyway.

There didn't seem to be the scents of too many other horses around - at least not that were similar enough to denote a herd or recent enough to hint at land ownership. Arch was more than half tempted to peel out of there and see if the other stallion could manage to keep up with him. He hadn't had a game of chase in a while. At least not one that didn't involve wolf teeth getting dangerously close to his nether regions. But he wasn't a gelding yet!

Violent is the only word that comes to mind in reference to the mind-boggling way in which such a creature as this comes to an almost perfect halt. I watch him as he breathes, his sides heaving, nostrils flaring, and there is something wild about him that catches me off guard. I mimic the movement of his eyes as they work to understand me or scrutinize me, the true stranger in a world of even stranger things. Yet, the stallion was unafraid, or perhaps still putting together the pieces of such an intricate puzzle before making any hasty decisions. He was something entirely new, in that he did not balk at the sight of me, but studied me in a quiet way that superb intelligence might suggest. Of course, I couldn’t pass judgement either way- the old bloke certainly hadn’t given me any reason to believe he wasn’t stark, raving mad just yet.

But there is always something hiding behind pressed lips, I think, and when the pale boy speaks I cannot detect whether or not the words are tilted in sarcasm. However, I decide to let them pass, seeking a more permanent edge to grasp over making snap judgements. “I think the general consensus would be no, but you find yourself within the realm of Helovia… Others are less forgiving of trespassers,” I inform flatly. I don’t seek to make myself an enemy of the man, only a friend, but somehow I fear that he will not take my sentiments lightly. Figures.

Now that I have his attention and my blood is no longer boiling with ideas of danger and fear, Sabine is quick to make her presence known. Of course, she is one for dramatics and upon peering out at our companion, she dribbles a string of bird-like complaints. The colors in my mind are changing again and though I don’t need to ask why, I attempt to smother them from within in an attempt to calm her. But, the Zephyr ignores every wall that I construct as a form of restraint and instead stretches her tiny wings atop my poll, wailing her protests after all the excitement. “I’m Thor of the World’s Edge, a herd land within the area, and this Sabine,” I proffer over the incessant squealing.

In time I know she will quiet, but I have yet to learn how to instruct a bird with so much fire and attitude. It’s almost comical that I have bonded with a creature so opposite of my own personality. With a heavy sigh, I settle back into my haunches -intending to ride out the bird’s shitstorm- and the action itself causes the Zephyr to falter in her offensive behavior. She grapples at my forelock for a moment before finally steadying herself against my right ear; at last she is finished. Using the sudden silence as a crutch, I inspect the smaller brute with eyes of deep, muddy brown. He is a good two hands shorter than I, but certainly more spirited. Again I agree with the mysterious glint in his eye as I wait for him to make sense of the situation. After all, it’s not every day one has to deal with the stubborn hostility of Sabine…

Where do you come from?” I question the bleached man. Perhaps if we’ve gotten off on the wrong foot, there is a chance to salvage our reputation… I can only hope that my Zephyr has not ruined such an opportunity.
THOR
image credits

@[Archangel]

Unregistered
...ARCHANGEL...

The other stallion wasn't making any attempts to join in. The comparison to a boulder crept back into Arch's mind but he shifted it away this time. Just about any horse he'd met would've been on live wires from the encounter - strange stallion, charging fast, all alone, clearly itching to move. It would've been enough to make most any prey animal's skin crawl, maybe with excitement, maybe fear, maybe even aggression or annoyance, but if anything this other stallion seemed to be standing heavier, sinking into his hooves. Arch gave an ever so slight cock of his left ear. Running was great, but he guessed he could run for a while before he found as pretty a puzzle to study as what was already before him.

The stranger spoke out, albeit tonelessly, but every word was information. "Realm" it'd been a little while since Arch had been around horses who thought themselves grand or free enough to use that term. And the name of it..."Helovia"?

Sure why not.

It was the last bit that got the reaction though. Despite all prior appearance to the contrary, Archangel was far from some headless colt out on his first foray. The other beast's words sobered him up pretty quickly - his muscles suddenly distilling a calm that was practically uncanny. It was a subtle change, but swift enough to show the years behind the hide. Didn't stop his ears from twisting back ever so slightly. He glanced sideways through slightly lower lidded eyes as if taunting any challengers to come out and be "less forgiving" now. They couldn't touch him if they couldn't catch him. If they wanted to be angry about that then that was their problem.

Yeah it had been a while since he'd felt inclined to make the effort of playing nice with others.

But all the same, it wasn't as though the figure before him was making any threats. Archangel eyed him - and his chittering companion. (Why hasn't he squashed that thing yet?) The other stallion wasn't making any advances, wasn't trying to get him to leave. He'd trotted up to him amiably enough. And why? To say hello? To deliver a simple warning? It was positively.....benevolent.

Huh. Well that's new.

The white stallion waited, unimpressed, while the blue creature made its best attempt to spit raging balls of fire. The horse that it was sitting on seemed to take barely any notice - even introducing himself right over the raucous. Archangel blinked languidly. Was there some sort of agreement between the two?

I mean, hell, I've been alone, but I've never been -that- alone.

Thankfully, the white stallion tended to speak far less than he thought. "Name's Archangel." He twisted his head up slightly to address the bird. "-Pleasure's mine-.". And back to the stranger: "Hail from here and there and everywhere. Anywhere my hooves can reach and the grass is green." He shrugged, feeling like it was a common enough story - one the other stallion had probably heard too much of and didn't need any... personal elaborations to. "If it isn't too much bother, perhaps you could give me directions to a part of this place that is forgiving?" The white stud let out a soft sigh, much more steady now that he'd caught some of his breath. "I'm not interested in stirring up trouble I can't outrun." He kept his stance more on the side of leaning rather than flighty and fought back the urge to give another half shrug.

WHO CAN YOU TRUST?

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
HEART SICK_AND EYES FILLED UP WITH BLUE

She was here again. It kept her mind at bay, this simple work of navigating a forest and rifling through whatever wanderers were ensnared by it. It offered some better grazing too than the desert this time of year, though she couldn't say she preferred the environment. It felt, confined (with conifers no less). Each tree sprouted up like an iron bar across her path, redirecting her until she was detained by the woods. Maybe it was the pegasus in her, balking at such a limit to her wings. Maybe it was her, disgusted by anything restraining.

As she browsed through the woods, wings shuffling with quiet whispers of feathers, Ampere's ears twisted at the cacophony that stirred in the distance. Pausing, she lifted her head, waiting. The noise continued, neither growing nor shrinking, not appearing, nor offering scent. She would have brushed it off as local fauna if not for the incessant nature of it.

Positively unable to avoid confrontation, Ampere naturally began to stride towards the sound. If nothing else, she just wanted to know - not like she had anything better to do (except she did, back home, but she was ignoring that). Picking through the trees at a trot, Ampere got close enough to hear the last bits of their conversation. Closer still, she could finally see them, blurred by the wooden poles of the Threshold gates that the forest stood as. What have we hear, she thought as she slowed to a walk and slipped into view from the dappled shadows.

Blue eyes skipped across both studs, though her attention was drawn first to Thor, or rather, to his bird. Ah, she thought, that explains it. Unfortunately it was not nearly interesting enough to warrant her continued focus - particularly since it was safe to assume that if he was bonded, then he was already part of this torturous realm that insisted on subjecting its small creatures into soul-braced chains. So instead Ampere's electric gaze flicked to the paler stag, and it was not left wanting. She appreciated him openly, tracing the contours of his well honed muscles and the patterns of his previous fights. As she drank him in, a lopsided smile fell into place on her asymmetrical face - the left side, marked with rough lightning, stretched taller, wilder.

"I can forgive anything of yours," Ampere drawled, teasing with a wink. "Though you probably can't outrun me, so hopefully I don't have to forgive much." Casually she cocked her right hip, the toe of her hoof fitting snugly against the topsoil. She was unperturbed in the least by the two stallions, fully confident in her own abilities should things go south (she lived south after all, she was used to it). Meanwhile, she continued to let herself appreciate the horseflesh of the warrior stud, who was decidedly more attractive for the lack of a companion clinging to his side. I hope it stays that way she thought wistfully.

A M P E R E

plaguedog.deviantart.com

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

My time in Helovia had nurtured a thick skin. I’d seen so many outlandish creatures that ranged from Bernadette (a mare who never failed to mention that she was in fact a mare) to Tamira, my first love (or loves, considering she suffered from multiple personalities). One didn’t have to look far for oddities, not far at all, which was just a part of Helovia’s charm… Charging stallions and obnoxious Zephyrs ranked low on my list of “creepy curiosities” when compared to the situations I carried under-belt. Of course, those like Archangel –as foreign and unaware as he was— might find my nonchalance off-putting… A few years living in these parts would open his eyes. Of that I was certain.

Of course, it was hard to say much of anyone in so short a time. The stallion did appear to be a clever bloke, or mischievous, depending on how one interpreted the terms. But, I wanted to see more than his walls would allow, or at least give him a chance to experience all that Helovia offered. I liked to believe the best in everyone and sometimes that reverence made even the brightest of men fools. How many times had I been underestimated or spurned for my amiability? By now, it was becoming a never-ending list of symbols that meant nothing at all. Whatever remained of my legacy or my name was now more of a parody than a triumph. I was a lowly jester while others lived on as fearsome Kings. Maybe Archangel would be able to strike the chords of victory that I could not.

Or maybe he would be swayed from such opportunities in favor of temporary indulgence.

Yet, there was something promising in the way he regarded my words (or at least appeared to). I couldn’t decipher what he’d made of my vague warning, though it was not designed to intimidate him, but he seemed to understand me on a somewhat professional level. That was a start, right? Or maybe I was just as awkward and unappealing conversationally as I felt…

Yet, he certainly felt quite comfortable in his own skin. It didn’t matter where the winds guided him; Archangel possessed the talent of making himself a fixture in nearly every setting. I admired him for that. “It sounds like you’ve got quite the case of wanderlust,” I smiled at his admission. “And I guess my word of advice would be to stay away from the Aurora Basin- they’ve got a little band of Unicorns up there who aren’t too accepting of diversity. As I said, I come from the World’s Edge, just northwest of here, and we’re a growing herd guided by the Goddess of the Moon. In short, I’ve come looking for newcomers like you who might be interested in filling our ranks. The name suggests the land’s features and I think you’d enjoy the large forests, if not the view of the sea,” I informed warmly.

There was something quite calming in talking about the Edge, something comforting in knowing where I came from and where I would return to. I didn’t know if Archangel found solace in such trivial things, but I hoped that he would allow me the chance to show him the allure.

However, before I could continue, the soft sounds of footfall caught my attention. Upon raising my eyes toward the disturbance, I found a large-winged mare with electric blue eyes staring back. I couldn’t recall seeing the likes of her before, but confidence seemed to radiate off her in waves. Her mere presence felt overwhelming, if a bit too strong. Of course, with females came the power of the “the curve.” It was not unlike watching her steal the show with her sexually charged greeting and suggestive smile… Men would rise from the dead if this one called.

How convenient-

- and even more so considering that she couldn’t even pretend I existed. Truly, I could rant into the wee-hours of morning about the trickery of the female kind, but what would it do? I was already a man bewitched by their skill. I supposed it wouldn’t be shocking that Archangel found himself entranced by such a lovely creature…

Of course, even the devil claimed to be beautiful.
THOR
image credits

@[Archangel] @[Ampere]

Unregistered

...ARCHANGEL...

Archangel had been just about to get some answers - when another creature made it’s presence known - and this one didn’t need gallop strides or a big log to clear in order to make a dramatic entrance. Arch suddenly lost track of his skin - there was a second where his whole body seemed to slump - including his lower jaw. And why?

There’s… that’s….

The mare - a night colored creature with the mark of a lightning flash on her face didn’t rush him, didn’t attack, didn’t do anything except stand back and stare, which was good because for a couple seconds there Arch wouldn’t have been able to tell up from down much less make his hooves remember which went where.

She (not it! not it!) was speaking - gods save us all she was -flirting- with him. At least that’s what it seemed like. Or maybe that was normal, casual behavior for a pegasus. Hell if he knew, it wasn’t like he spent every day grazing the daisies alongside creatures with interspecies body parts. Then again, it wasn’t every day a mare took an interest in him, either. But one reality shattering event at a time. Eyes still openly bulging now and again, the white stallion somehow managed to bring his voice to a more even level - not that he was fooling anybody. "Look but don’t touch, sweetheart, I’m more than just a pretty face."

He leaned back on his haunches, almost mirroring the mare’s pose. He took his time in blinking. "You have wings." He most definitely was under no circumstances whatsoever, staring at them compulsively. "She has wings." He said to the other stallion, as if remembering his presence. "There are -wings- coming out of her back - You have -pegasus- around here and you didn’t think that counted as worthy in the top ten mentions? - No, wait. You said -Unicorns-.... When you say unicorns you mean… Huh. Just like that? Standard day? Right then. Sure." He’d run with a stallion band that called themselves “The Tigers” once. Ironically they were the ones who ran for the hills when the mountain lion attack. Pathetic losers had looked at him like a ghost when he’d come limping back to the canyon - and then acted hurt when he declared he was sick of their arrogant shit and leaving. But…. that was off point. Apparently his mouth wasn’t the only thing that rambled a mile a minute when faced with something new. The white stallion’s nostrils had flared and not just from the run, but the rest of his body language was more or less stationary. He was processing.

Don’t stare. Don’t stare.

it was impossible not too - what with every feather twitching slightly in the air - yet shifting as a flawless whole. Impossible yet living in solid form before him - every hair, every fiber painted in the splotchy grey-gold colors of a royal morning.

Yep. Staring.

Archangel forcefully ripped his gaze back from where the mares back was freaking sprouting bird wings and looked back to what’s his name. Thor. Who was suddenly the only lifeboat to all things sane and normal. The white cross was aware that he was being rude, and he was somewhat apologetic. (No I’m not. Screw that. It’s justified.) "Sorry, you were talking about a ocean? Trees? -- I realize you were making an invitation and a generous one at that. I’ll be honest, I… haven’t been… suited well with herdlife - in a while. Not that I try to stir up trouble or break rules, you understand, just... " (Most horses are assholes afraid of their own shadows and I'm better off without them? Yeah that’s polite. Go with that.) "Things never seem to fit for me. Square peg in a round hole or whatever the saying is. But that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t like to live with others again, if they're something more than just mindless prey animals."

Apparently a reality with pegasus was also a reality where Archangel could be honest with total strangers. Yeah this place was interesting. For many reasons - self discovery not being the least of them. He was definitely sticking around.

But one last thing. The white stallion swung his head round, lasering in on the pegasus mare again whom he’d been valiantly succeeding at not staring at, even if the twitch in his turned ear was enough to show he was enormously aware of her presence. "Can you actually -fly-?? Like - in the air??"

WHO CAN YOU TRUST?

His reaction was... not what she expected, and even after watching him for a moment more, she couldn't decide if she wanted it or not. He gawked back openly as well, but it seemed to lack the heat of a stare born with lust and passion. This was not the back draft of sexual tension, this was just, staring. In response Ampere adjusted her weight, subconsciously uncomfortable because though she'd never admit it, her flirting had never failed her before. He gave her sass back in response, which was like a candle flame of hope, and it reignited the twist of a smile on her lips.

Candles though, are blown out easily; and so went her light.

He began by stating the obvious, and went on further to discuss the obvious with the other stallion. Ampere would have found it flattering and flared her wings out on glorious display like a peacock, if not for the almost hysterical way his words were tumbling out. Top ten mentions... Ampere glanced towards the bonded stallion, tossing him a look that was in a phrase, a raised eyebrow. Ampere had been new once too, and though she had seen a good deal of things before coming here, she hadn't seen much more than pegasus. Still, she didn't act this way, did she?

Deciding much on the spot then and there that the stallion was a lost cause, both in terms of successful bedding and victorious battling, Ampere opted to fuck with him a different way. As he finished his conversation with Thor, all the while his eyes darting around like guilty colts that had just practiced mounting (each other), Ampere was busy pulling up the dead and dying vegetation that made the floor of the forest. Leaves fell like organic litter, and she loved them for it. Quick as a snap and a pop, her magic worked that dwindling energy and transmuted it into its purest base. What this meant was, blue sparks appeared all around them, whirring into existence with a crack of light and a fizzing of anxious energy. The little balls of sparks globbed together into one swirling mass of electric mayhem, drifting in and around Ampere's feet as she continued to stare straight ahead, watching that stallion with that mischievous smile still on her lips, but a different glint in her eye.

The ball took shape as a small deer at her side. It's outline was blurred at times as erratic streaks of energy snarled out in a line of lightning, but soon enough the static creature reformed, none the worse for the wear. "What are you suited for?" she asked coyly, her doe walking gently towards him, its fizzing nose extended out in greeting. Look but don't touch handsome. "If you have trouble, fitting, maybe you've just been poking around in the wrong holes." She couldn't help but continue the charade. It had been a while since she'd been able to play any tricks, bogged down as she was with duty, and well she had tried to be serious at first but he brought this on himself really. She'd still happily take him home, but somehow she doubted he was into such an exotic place as the Throat - a herd well known for its pegasus population. "Maybe I could help you?"

Her tail feathers wriggled against the cup of her rump, the energy pooling around her and through her needing some physical manifestation as it unwound in her bones. It was probably why at his question, despite her earlier hesitation, she had no restraint in flaring out her wings and beating up a small wind with them. The lightning doe broke apart, fluttering about as blue butterflies as the wind tore through the neon body, scattering it with some harmless taps of electricity if anyone touched them. "I can do more than fly, want to find out?" She grinned again, devilish as her lightning-marked side bore it ever higher. Again she reached out with magic, but this time it was not as obvious. Now, she looked for the electricity already inside of him, and attempted to play it like a fine instrument. The result, she hoped, would be to forcefully push him up into the air a bit by repelling his charges. Not enough to hurt him, just a jump for fun, any more than that would be too strenuous, and she certainly didn't want to excite her bay competitor too much.

A M P E R E

plaguedog.deviantart.com

Never had I seen a brute so enamored by the female presence (it was almost disconcerting) and not once had I seen one’s jaw drop. Despite the mare’s presumptuous introduction, I almost felt bad for her… I hadn’t a clue who she was or where she’d come from, but she was in fact a devilishly attractive woman. I guess I was simply more practiced when it came to dealing with mythical oddities (or with Helovia in general). After all, it’s not like I’d missed the almost comically questionable glace we’d shared (if only for the sake of understanding the foreign entity that was Archangel). Then of course came the final piece of the mare’s self-constructed puzzle, one that nearly made me laugh and snort out loud at the same time- Archangel…. flirting. Honestly, this tactic was becoming simply predictable, especially where females were involved. Yet, I couldn’t blame them for using wit against the lustful desires of males… Were we all so easily swayed?

Even as I listened to the bloke croon and tease, I was almost tempted to turn hip and walk away. That was until he turned his incredulous words to me, seemingly unaware of the old wing scars I donned upon each shoulder blade. It was something of a game for him to turn from one suitor to the next, his surprise finding each of us in turn. I lifted a curious brow, suddenly understanding despite my recollection of his first playful response to the winged mare. “Yes, those are wings… and we DO have Pegasus… You were looking at one as soon as I joined you,” I stated while moving astride him and proffering my bare sides as evidence. However, the skin seemed to crawl under scrutiny and the scars themselves puckered along the hard planes of my back and shoulders.

I guess you were spared immediate surprise because mine were stripped,” I followed shortly after (albeit bitterly). “I would also like to mention that it’s fairly common for Unicorns, to Pegasus, to Hybrids of nearly every species to exist here. I assumed you to be… more informed?” I mused distractedly. Of course, it wasn’t long before my presence was again eclipsed by a bout of open admiration along with another slew of provocative sentiments served up by the mare herself. I was almost more comfortable disappearing into the trees behind me than remaining in the company of flirt-er and flirt-ee, but damn it if I hadn’t come with a reasonably good offer!

Or at least I’d thought so before Archangel turned his distracted replies on me once more, claiming himself ill-suited for herd-life. It was becoming a nuisance to pretend that I wasn’t annoyed by their blatant display of affection… yet somehow I would find a way to persevere (if only to say that I had). “I think you’d find us more accepting than previous paths,” I stated stoically. “I don’t think you’ll find the World’s Edge a home to “mindless prey” as you say. This place is nothing like what you’re used to and besides, I don’t think you’ll find many intruders flapping their lips at our door after- well, let’s just say the Edge comes with a few quirks of our own,” I added almost secretively. However, my attempts were quickly snuffed by the appearance of blue, enchanting sparks that rose from the winged mare’s hooves. Oh good Gods.

They were followed with another suggestive grin and Archangel was, for lack of a better word, incapacitated. What? How was I supposed to compete with that? Did they want me to crawl inside their head and tamper with any mental inconsistencies they possessed? Honestly, at that point it sounded more appealing than dealing with any more upturned lashes or awe-struck exclamations. I did wonder what it would be like to extend the invitation and call upon the warmth of the Earth magic I’d obtained so long ago… if only to tinker just a bit.

I wondered what kind of images I would conjure inside the stallion’s head… I wonder what he would make me see.
THOR
image credits

@[Archangel] @[Ampere]

Unregistered

...ARCHANGEL...

What had he gotten himself into now? Whatever it was - it sure as hell was more exciting than the places he'd been before.

The other stallion, Thor, at least was supplying some answers. All of this was run of the mill. More than that - he himself had had wings. Archangel was no stranger to scars - even very bad ones, and if he stared more intently than he might normally, it was only out of awe.

WINGS? Something this big, was able to get off the ground? By the gods...

There was also a spare thought as to how much the idea of getting those ripped out must have hurt. Even vaguely, it was enough to make Archangel want to shudder.

Again, thought, his thoughts were kept flying -

ha! "Flying".

- from one thing to another. Thor spoke of what was his homeland - Worlds End. His tone was stoic, simple, laden with a meaning that Archangel was not privy to, and yet one thing as much was clear. "You obviously hold your home in a high regard," Archangel murmured, with a seriousness that was usually reserved. More was going to be said, but Archangel was aware of his fur being tingued in a blue glow - not of its own making, but of a light source emanating from the mare. Sparks danced around her - had been dancing around her, though the white stallion was doing his damnedest not to forever appear like a starry-eyed colt. He could pretend he was used to magic. Sure. Why not?

He'd always wanted to believe there was a hell of a lot more potential in his kind than they were led to believe. Now he just had to keep a rein on his instincts to fear the unknown. Luckily, it was something he'd learned to deal with very early on. He watched in amazement as a creature of pure light and energy took form - in the shape of a curious little deer no less. He didn't dare move forward - he remained with his feet planted and weight shifted on one hind - but he let the apparition come closer, as it pleased its puppet master - for the mare was obviously controlling it.

The mare was nickering to him again. - He'd lost the priveledge of her attention for a little while it seemed - The stallion would like to say that he had more self respect than to be someone's spur of the moment screw, but honestly it was more just the fact that he lacked the, well, desire. Sex had never been something pleasurable - just another chore of the day, only at the covering shed instead of the riding arena. Plus - holes? pegs?

Exactly how desperate is she? Three flakes says she just wants to lead me to a secluded spot and murder me.

"Alright, now you're just starting to make me feel uncomfortable." It was said rather dryly, but without any sharpness or heat. In a different life time, back at the stables, it had been a running joke among the herds and hands that he was the only stallion who, after getting loose, broke into the feed room instead of the mare's pasture. What could he say? Food was good. Like really good. He was far more selective with breeding than he was with eating - though that didn't mean he was without favorites. He'd gone so long without a nice drizzle of molasses it was a tragedy.

THUMP

"Good gods!!" Archangel was quiet literally shocked out of his thoughts. Everything inside him seemed to spark and fizz - like the way it felt standing under thunderheads during a storm! It was only a split second - and all the warning he got before he was thrown up and back a stride .... against his will? It was like accidently brushing against an electric fence! Except not exactly as painful. Archangel snorted - nostrils and eyes wide. His neck immediately arching as though preparing his body for a threat. But at the same time, there was a quirk to his muzzle. He was half tempted to shout for her to do that again. That crap was amazing.

But yeah, pretty damn invasive too.

Archangel straightened up a little. "....And the fact that you could quite possibly electrify me with your mind isn't exactly helping." The white stallion shook his head. "I'm afraid I'm going to have to decline your offer, especially since I'm sort of in the middle of attempting to accept his." He twisted an ear in Thor's direction, adding. "Not like -that-. Don't get excited. -- But um, thank you, anyway. My loss, I'm sure."

WHO CAN YOU TRUST?

notes: so sorry for being so late guys! even in summer, it seems I'm kept pretty busy.

Ampere's attention was unfortunately distracted from the pallid stallion as Thor's words hit hear ears. "Mine were stripped,". Ampere's head snapped towards him, the blue of her gaze sharpening into something hard. "Who took your wings?" she demanded, disregarding the private matter that the event likely was (he was the one who brought it up...). There were many things that could rile Ampere up, but there were just a few that really struck a nerve in her and manifested a storm of pure outrage. Freedom, especially the loss of it, was one of those things. Pegasus were freer than most horses just by nature, so to have one lose its freedom was not only tragically awful to her, relate-able on a level of having wings herself (and equally fearing their loss), but a punishable crime to whomever was so cruel as to take them away. The issue was perhaps not helped by her recent son's birth, where in he bore only one wing - a criminal which she couldn't bring to justice because it was just life.

The conversation went on, but Ampere did not. Her gaze stayed fixed on Thor, unrelenting in her pursuit of justice; it only broke away when Archangel reacted poorly to her magic, as expected, and like a pussy slunk away from her possibilities rather than embraced them. His refusal was little loss in her eyes then, though it was a pity, he had potential to be a good partner, whether sex or spars it didn't matter to her.
"Visit the Dragon's Throat some day to say hi and see what you missed. You'll always be welcome."

A M P E R E

plaguedog.deviantart.com

I’d come to respect the natural wonder that Helovia inspired in so many. The righteous, the naive, the wise, and even the foolish all wanted to bow to her glory. Why else would they seek the comfort of a realm so vast and full of mystery? Helovia was an ancient place built on tales, visions of the past, and an uncertainty of the future. It was a place that nurtured the soul, lifted hearts, and sometimes returned them to the earth… Yes, it was silly of me to think it uncommon for a brute like Archangel to respond to such magnificence without a single raised brow or slackened jaw. After all, it wasn’t Ampere that truly struck his fancy, but the shred of fantasy she dangled before him. Everyone was a child at heart and a child was so easily swayed by the unknown… Our natives had simply learned to live with the idea that finalities were only illusions; they were just a piece of a whole that they would never see.

After shifting into a more suitable arrangement so that I might be able to once again regard Ampere and our object of interest simultaneously, I tipped a rear hoof in order to balance myself and the bird at my back. Archangel appeared to understand my urgency –or maybe just my pride- when I spoke of the World’s Edge and there was something resolute in the way he expressed the fact. I nodded solemnly at the statement, but found that I was more compelled to study his eyes and the secrets behind them for validation. I couldn’t detect lies where they were so easily concealed… but at least if he painted vivid pictures of non-truths, he was good at it. I only hoped I was wrong.I have no reason to think otherwise,” I replied with a soft, if undetected, nodding of my head.

Even as I sat through his fascination for the small deer –conjured by Ampere’s magic- I could not help but feel slightly amazed myself. It made me recall the God of the Earth and the deer we had drawn up from the light in Tamira’s conscious. We had cleared the dark recesses of her illness with the stag and the sheer force of my magic had been all that remained… I envied the mare that. I missed the use of a power greater than I, because not many who resided in Helovia suffered the kind of mental inhibitions that my former mate had endured. Sometimes I wished it was the reverse… I still longed to reach deep inside and again conquer the darkness of sheer insanity.

Alright, now you're just starting to make me feel uncomfortable.

What? Had I done something off-putting? When I turned my murky gaze toward the brute, I found only his trained eye fixed upon the temptress that was Ampere. Clearly her stunts were less appreciated than she’d anticipated. I guess the tried and true was an honest approach no matter the recipient. However, the mare indulged herself only more with her wild antics… until Archangel was no longer interested in her games, but insulted. I hadn’t expected her to nearly lift him from the ground with her power, but it had happened and he was –for a lack of a better term- pissed about it.

I myself couldn’t find words to soothe him or even apologize for a mistake that was not my own. Sabine had taken to huddling against the base of my neck, fascinated and still frightened by the lightning mare’s display. One day she too would possess the power of magic, but until then the young Zephyr would have to learn the difference between too much and just enough. Apparently Ampere had no such shame and her pointed words were then directed at me- a question I found unamusing or just plain uninteresting. If I’d wanted to share the details of how my wings had been stripped, I would have done it earlier. Instead I proffered but one word, only two syllables meant to satisfy as an answer, but not a story. “Shadows,” I revealed on a breath.

Yet, just when I thought things couldn’t get any worse, they got better. Finally my efforts and my patience had proven worthwhile. Archangel had deemed my perseverance admirable –or at the very least suitable- and had consented to follow me home to the Edge. “Trust me, you’re not my type,” I assured him with a smirk. Turning to the blue-streaked mare, I nodded a farewell. “It’s been a pleasure.” With that, I turned toward the Edge while gesturing for the white stallion to follow. He still had much to learn before we arrived at the land by the sea… After all, the winged mare was not the only one here with incredible magic.
THOR
image credits

@[Archangel] @[Ampere] -- Not assuming that Thor knows her, just for the ease of writing instead of calling her "mare" all the time.