the Rift

[OPEN] we do the oligarchy shuffle [LEADS]

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine
Megaera & Gwaihir
the fought as legends

Orangemoon was a good time to travel; its cooling breezes helped to keep fatigue at bay for the mare and the eagle on their journey north. The Sun, it seems, had slaked its fury during tallsun and now was content to be a guide and travel companion for the pair as it rose and set above their path. The last time the mare had come this way it had been a race, a rescue, and she had come to these lands bathed in sweat and worry only to be met with ill grace. Now she was not alone and both she and the adolescent raptor held a steadier pace though the air. It would take a good deal longer but that would mean she would arrive with enough energy to complete her task.

Outside of the home that she had so recently been raised to rule, this would be the first test for Megaera… She had earned the respect of her herd and now she was tasked to face the leaders of the three northern tribes to reaffirm alliances after the recent political upheaval. The task required diplomacy, a level head, patience, and decorum…Gaucho had picked Meg. She had, on two previous occasions, briefly met with previous leads from the Basin and the Falls and at both meetings she had been aggressive, abrasive, and impetuous. Her lack of any political weight had let her slide from those encounters without any consequences, but with every mile she passed, the rookie Sultana reminded herself that this time had to be different, that she had to be different.

Since Gaucho had named her to lead the Throat with him, Megaera had worked tirelessly to reform herself. The faith that the Wildfire and the Sun God had placed in her was a heavy responsibility to shoulder and that weight itself had begun to change the mare. ‘The Sunspear', as Ampere had named her, had to be different from ‘Meg’. The Sunspear had to be bold, had to be wise, had to be strong. She had to speak for her herd, lead them, guard them, and as the Sun God had told her, protect without destruction. She had to become The Sunspear.

Evening was just starting to darken the sky when she slipped through the trees and touched down on the bank beside a rushing waterfall. Behind it, she knew, was a tunnel that lead into the Falls and as Africa had showed her, the bay pegasus tucked in her wings and plunged through the falling waters. Once through the deluge, she stopped to shake the water from her feathers and steel her resolve. Gwaihir followed her with a small splash and an angry little screech and the pair made their way out of the tunnel and into the Hidden Falls. They didn’t move too far into the land, but stopped themselves in a small clearing just beyond the entrance. She had been given the names of the conquering Czars but both were strangers to her and it seemed unwise to venture further on her own. They had taken this land by force, she she had no reason to expect they would not defend it likewise.

Always quick to sense her nerves, the large, dark eagle settled himself upon Megaera’s back. Young as he was, the bird had always been the calm one of the pair, the steady one, and Meg was so very thankful to have him here with her. ”My Meg.” came his voice in her mind “Meg fine…Meg good…Meg calm.” His words were broken and childish but the surety that flowed from the bird was not. For a moment the mare waited, breathing deeply, wrestling back her nerves and cloaking herself with confidence. I am the Sultana, damn it! I can handle this! Then she reached for something else inside her, something deeper. She gave it a good sharp tug and let it go, shooting into the sky a pillar of light, gold and pure as the sun itself. It shone bright for a several seconds and then diminished, leaving the mare and the eagle to wait in the still evening silence.

"talk talk talk"
Tags: @[Kaj] @[Archibald]

FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

this is gospel
for the fallen ones

Archibald had disappeared. The Falls had descended into an era of tenuous peace, stability. But not activity. Kaj despaired over the losses their numbers had suffered, fretted that he was bound to the borders while Archibald was missing. He longed to do best by his herd, for they had sacrificed so much for him, but he feared with each passing day that the curse over the land would prevail in the end. Kaj had never learned when to give up, to break and shatter, let the world crush him with its weight. He soldiered on with bloodied mouth and cracked teeth, a sneer smeared across his face and lightning in his eyes. His family had placed their trust in him, and he would drag himself across shattered glass, would walk on broken legs and fly with crippled wings to keep them safe. Archibald or no, he would work until he spontaneously dropped to break the curse of the land his family now resided in.

It did not mean that Kaj was not mortal. He was destined to fail in many aspects, one of which was the sin of temptation and doubt. His dreams were filled with crackling eyes and effervescent smiles, mischievous dimples and thundering laughter. He awoke yearning, reaching for something that was too far away to even imagine. Kaj feared, as all mortal things fear, that he would not be able to resist the pull that drew him towards a woman too dangerous for a weak man such as himself. There was no denying how she made him feel, how she swept into his rather ordinary life and gripped him by the ears, dragging him forth into a realm he had not allowed himself into. Careful, always careful, he had told himself for so long, pounded into his head. Why be careful? She had asked him with every move, and he had not had a good answer for her.

What else had he missed out on?

From the corner of his eye was a pillar of everlasting, unnatural fire and light. Heart surged with sudden, fearful protectiveness. Was it a rebel group, returning to cripple the land and yank back control? Yet another magical beast intent on savaging his family? Godly retribution for their desertion? A simple wildfire? There were too many possibilities, and the stallion surged down the greenery, muscles tensed and poised like a great golden beast rather than the vessel of a civilized man. He reached the precipice of his occupied landmass, massive wings arcing out in billowing snaps, trusting them to catch him. Down through the canyons he swept, pushing as hard as his body could take, each pounding sweep of his wings buzzing in his own ears.

He found only a singular form. Descending sharply he landed harshly, joints protesting. He was no youthful colt any longer, but he'd protect his family until he was a wizened bag of flesh and bone. Panting heavily he eyed the girl, taking in her form, her stance. Respectful, awaiting someone...him? Was she a diplomat? Perhaps it had been her way of calling him to her, whatever that pillar of light was. "Excuse my behavior, your magic inspires worry when unanticipated," he responded, voice gruff and husky with his own receding emotions and heaving lungs. Swallowing to ease it away, he adjusted his own rather defensive stance into a settled one. Wings retracted and folded neatly at golden sides, head tilted to regard the woman with foxlike baby blue eyes.

"My name is Kaj, I am one of the Czars of these lands. What can I do for you?" The echo of the waterfall and its cavern behind her was appropriately distant, but it gave him peace, allowed him to regulate his racing heart and trembling breaths. Perhaps he was becoming paranoid, he thought sarcastically to himself with a wry little grin.

@[Megaera]

Image Credit
Code: Time & Neo

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine
Megaera & Gwaihir
they fought as legends

The minutes seemed to creep as Megaera waited for someone to answer her call. She was sure that someone would have seen her signal, it was surely bright enough and even if the two she sought did not come, those that did should be able to direct her to them. So she waited in as much silence and the rumble of rushing waters would allow but as the seconds dragged her nerves began to creep their way back in. On her back, the eagle ruffled his rich mahogany feathers in irritation; he could feel the nerves of his bonded but as much as he cared for the mare, he had little patience for such things. Long wings stretched over her folded ones and flapped to emphasize the message he tried to pass through their mental link. “My Meg. no nervous!” he scolded before Meg turned her head around to nip gently at the bird on her back.

As Gwaihir had known it would, the little flame of defiance that flared in the mare at the young birds attitude was just the thing she needed. Despite her affection for Gwaihir, she still felt quite motherly towards the bird and was damned if she’d do or feel anything just because he said so “Hush.” she mumbled at him, but she was already changing her posture, holding herself higher and no longer focusing on the doubts that had plagued her journey north. Satisfied, Gwaihir settled, comfortable and still upon her back to wait with her.

The rustle of wings above her had Megaera looking up to see the golden buckskin hurtling in her direction. She tensed as he descended, prepared to defend herself. Ampere had said the invasion was well over but perhaps more fighting had sprung up. Perhaps were the new inhabitants so very defensive of their territory that none would be welcome. The stallion landed and the soldier in Meg immediately had her dark gaze flicking over to size up an opponent. He was just as tall and broad-chested as Einarr, and at any other time she might have rolled her eyes at that. Did ALL these stallions had to be so fucking BIG? She was not as fine boned and delicate as her mother’s people but by Helovian standards it seemed she was destined to be on the small side, much to her endless frustration.

For a moment the tension seemed to sing through the air, both parties unsure but then the golden beast broke the silence with an apology and the flicker of danger passed. Megaera saw the stallion begin to relax and she followed suite. Her muscles relaxed but her legs remained strait and proud, even without conscious intent, making her as tall and dignified as the rookie Sultana was capable of being. She waited, watching the stallion with a steady, measured gaze, inwardly flinching at the mention of her magic. She should have considered the effect it might have on those unprepared for it but it it was so strange to this sun worshiper that any light might be an ill omen. He spoke again before she could and announced himself to be one of the two she had come here to seek.

The Sunspear smiled then, (perhaps this would not be quite so difficult after all), and lowered her head in a respectful greeting. “Well met, Kaj. I am Megaera, Sultana of Dragon’s Throat.” It seemed odd to introduce herself as such, but she spoke well enough. “I am the one who should apologize; my own herd is used to seeing my signal, but I should have considered that it might be alarming to others. I am sorry to have caused you any disquiet.”

Megaera paused for a moment, almost puzzled by how easily the words came to her. It had always been easy to admit her own mistakes after the fact, it was the foresight no not make them in the first place that came hard. She had always considered herself a soldier, a mare of action instead of words but with no one her to fight perhaps she could begin to fit different mold. “I have come to seek the new Czars of the falls and offer my respects. I hope that all are well recovered after your efforts.” She was not entirely sure how she felt about the events that had transpired over the post season and it was not her place to judge, but she was sincere in hoping that all had settled in the northern herds. She did not appreciate the idea of neighbors at war if conflict might spill needlessly into the Throat.

Dark hooves scraped over grass as the Sunspear shifted her stance, and the eagle swayed upon his perch before giving and irritated little noise. ”Don’t like.” he interjected, fixing his sharp golden eyes on Kaj in a thoroughly disapproving glare. Meg couldn’t help but chuckle at that. “You never like anyone.” she returned, thoroughly amused. She moved her muzzle to gesture towards the eagle, "This is Gwaihir. I am afraid you’ll have to excuse his rudeness.” A grin spread across her features, humor breaking through the dignified armor she had built.

"talk talk talk"

FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time
  archibald
   the dauntless

The Dauntless was not lost. He had not abandoned his post, lost himself in the wilderness as he once had. No. Not at all. Archibald was waiting, patrolling and searching, mind churning with the plans he would make known when the time was wholly right. Kaj, such an emotionally deterred man, controlled by the tickle of his heart and the breathe in his lungs was too-fragile. Had Archibald not assured him of his loyalty and drive for this herd, this family? Had Archibald not opened the floodgates for growth and possibility to flourish here, in this bramble-filled land once more? Perhaps he and Kaj needed to speak again, for Archibald to give the other Czar his simple words: take heart, Stormbringer.

Archibald and Loretta moved towards the pillar of light that burst from their borders. Massive hooves and paws made the earth tremble with the sheer might of their natural force, and Archibald and his bitch broke through the undergrowth with proudly held heads and cold, hard eyes. "I am Archibald the Dauntless. Welcome to the Hidden Falls." Archibald spoke with a deep, commanding voice, but it was not short of showing respect. However, this was his land and this woman before him was trespassing. Golden eyes moved briefly to Kaj, a simple flick of his ear in the direction a silent greeting to his leading partner. There was no need to give te Stormbringer a lavish welcome. He and Archibald both knew well enough that any small semblance of weakness-perceived or true-could be the downfall of their kingdom.

Before the mate could even continue her speech, the Dauntless and his cur beside him were analyzing her. She was not from the Basin, no. Her wings and sun-bleached highlights broke that prediction right away. Archibald doubted she was from the Worlds Edge. If the new Kings were as able and determined as Ophelia had let on, one of them would be standing before him. And so, the Czar decided she was from the Dragons Throat. With a Stoney mind, Archibald wondered why the Wildfire himself was not asking entrance to their home to discuss alliances and political jargon. Loretta eyed the eagle, her lip tingling with his display. "We have done well. We give our thanks to your crafters, the metal from your sands made strong armor to help fortify us."

Shifting his weight some, the massive stallion was suddenly aware of the dark grey feather tied at the base of his wither, above where his breast plate buckled securely. "Should the Throat still hold our loyalty of alliance, we will hold the bond strong." Archibald was no stallion to beat around the bush. She had a purpose here, as did the Czars before her.

i-mi

@[Kaj] @[Megaera]

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

this is gospel
for the fallen ones

Like two arcing arrows they rose to meet one another, tips embedded deep into the earth where each pacing beast was caged, a line drawn unseen between the two. Analyzing one another, swollen and crested into peak condition and intimidation. Though Kaj was uncomfortable that she had entered and technically gone across the borders, he was in that moment more concerned with the fears that had lingered at the back of his mind on the hurried flight over. After a few tense minutes they both eased, recognition of sand and surf on her pelt, a home that Kaj had once called his own a very, very long time ago. His heart ached with memory of Tandavi and her mother, of Kri and Onni. Times had changed, their memories held only in distant echoes for many. The Throat had moved on, grown even stronger, but Kaj would forever remember his two seasons of life in that desert landscape. There was no way he could forget the scent, and it lingered on Megaera's coat regardless of travel distances.

Together they receded, waves reaching back to the ocean, and managed smiles and pleasantries. Kaj watched her head descend in respectful acknowledgment, and he awaited it to begin to rise for him to display his own repetition of the motion. "The pleasure is mine, Megaera. I will keep your magic in mind, all is forgiven for such a simple misunderstanding," he chuckled smoothly, eyes warm seas of cobalt as they fell upon the shorter mare. Kaj was used to looking down, physically, upon those in Helovia. He'd think no less of her for her stature, for it had nothing to do with her abilities as a Sultana. As she is speaking her purpose for her arrival, the man of the hour approaches, quiet and steady.

Ah, so he hadn't disappeared. Kaj thought nothing beyond that, flicking an ear and a glance at the behemoth in returned greeting. Archibald announced himself in a quiet baritone, and Kaj turned his attention back to Megaera, a warm quiet smile on his maw in contrast to the dark stoicism of his partner. The brute could call him emotional all he wished, it was better than living life constantly brooding and lonely. Attention was directed to more professional matters, and Kaj held his silence, finding no other words necessary when Archibald dictated them already. Perhaps something in Kaj recognized the newness Megaera hid relatively well, but he found himself almost regretful on behalf of the Sultana and her visit. Another time, he idly comforted himself. Whether that would hold true was questionable, however.

The companion had drawn Kaj's eye, but he only offered a wry grin in response to her words. "Most companions do not, I'm afraid. I assume that's why the gods have not deigned to give me companionship," he said frankly. It hurt his soul far more deeply than he would admit, and he certainly would never show it. But it was just another reminder of his loneliness, and he pushed it stubbornly away. Ignored and boxed up as it always was.

@[Megaera]

Image Credit
Code: Time & Neo

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!