the Rift

A Wandering Star

Ki'irha Posts: 176
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 5 years old HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Noella

Ki'irha
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

The black mare ran. She seeked cover from the open sky, which harbored swallows and other birds who dipped and dove and attempted to drive her away from their empty nests that remained in the standalone trees, despite how their chicks had taken flight months ago. She could see a treeline fast approaching, and her stride opened wider. Her bones ached and she believed she could feel her heart rattling inside her empty core, but the hope that the treeline held safety kept her going. She had been traveling for weeks now, with no place providing suitable safety or comfort for the young unicorn. She had barely found enough safe cover to stop and eat, which didn't help her current condition.

She leapt through the low branches and tumbled through a thorny bush. Sure, her landing may have not been graceful, but she immediately lost sight of the diving birds. She stood and shook herself off, a small cloud of dust falling off of her thinning coat. Usually a remarkable creature, her coat was still returning to its former glory after months of malnutrition and starvation. Even then, the sleek black fur that was peeking through still remained ineffective against the chill in the air coming from the impending winter. A shiver rippled down her body.

She slipped delicately through the thicket, taking in her new surroundings. The sun shined through breaks in the canopy, dappling the soft loamy ground. She heard around her the chattering and singing of small animals. The air was fresh here. The trees appeared to be just beginning their turn. She was safe for a moment in this wood, but knew that no where could be safe forever, and knew that this is not where she would remain. But for a moment, with no reason to think she wasn't alone, she took took a moment to relax.

Rubbing against a tree, she relieved an itch from a rouge patch of rough fur on her shoulder. She scowled, bothered that she looked like some common mongrel raccoon going though mange. Only a few more spots, she thought to herself. Though she was slowly putting back on lost weight, the gentle slopes and edges of her ribs were still visible, and the ridges of her hips were a bit more prominant than she would have liked. Though not emaciated, a few good meals or perhaps some medical care would serve her well. She dipped her head down, using the tip of her horn to pick a bothersome stone from between the cloves of her left hoof.

OOC:: She doesn't look as haggard and horrible as she makes it out to be. She's just just a vain baby sometimes.
"blah blah blah."

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi
d'Artagnan
the
NightShade
"Are these days getting longer or am I getting older?" the Doctor sighed as he roamed the woodland of the Threshold. Maybe it wasn’t age, perhaps boredom, the chase for revenge was over and he was left with a blank canvas that was as bleak as the world around him. Aramis didn’t answer, he didn’t know the answer and he just shrugged, travelling along next to him. It wasn’t like he didn’t have a hobby either, if you could call collecting poisonous specimens a hobby and experimenting with them. The Mad Doctor some called him, but maybe he was just a bored Doctor. It wasn’t like he got many patients, who would dare trust their life to the twisted healer, not many. Most preferred the tender touch of Lena. Though d’Artagnan had never shown an ounce of mischief whilst performing his duties and, with pride, he thought he had quite the talent for it. Ah, well, there was nothing much he could do about it and reputation was often double edged. Perhaps he should seek out Deimos and ask for something to do rather than mope in his cave all the time. Though moping was also another talent of his.

”There’s a horse nearby” Aramis dryly notified his friend down the invisible bond, his keen canine nose picking up the sent with relative ease as they travelled nearby the mammal. The Time Mender’s eyes lit up a little with flickering interest and he altered his path to follow his hound. It was only when they got nearer that d’Artagnan lingered behind a tree and began to question himself. What if it was another Johnny? He couldn’t bring another peppermint pansy home that spewed at cringing sentences enough to make him want to run away. He never thought he’d be afraid of the Threshold, but there was a first for everything and the shade was genuinely concerned for who he might meet.

As he peered around the trunk he noticed the black mare for the first time. She looked… tired, but then again, most did when entering Helovia. Her mane a stark contrast to her dark fur and the same design travelled to that of her leonine tail. A horn protruded from her head and was now seemingly aiding her in shifting something from her hoof. Slowly, the Doctor made his way out from behind the tree to stand before her, coughing awkwardly. "Long journey?" he began.

Would you like to be tagged? :3
Poison is in everything, and no thing is without poison. The dosage makes it either a poison or a remedy.

yewrezz | larfsalot
on deviantart

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!

Noella

Ki'irha

The stone came free, and a bit of relief came to the mare. The typical sounds and scents of the forest - the breeze through the brush, the caw of the raven, the chattering of the squirrels - covered the approach of a stranger. It wasn't until she heard a cough and a voice that she knew another horse was nearby.

She lifted her head, and came to full height, still standing shorter than the newcomer. Beside him she noticed a canine creature, which she could not identify. She stood comfortably, feeling no need to flee. Even if she did, she was sure he knew this forest better than she could, and an escape would be fruitless. She locked her stormy eyes on his, and noticed their unusual hue.

Long journey?

A small smile landed on her lips, as she was sure she looked a mess, and hoped her appearance did not give the stallion the wrong impression.
"Yes, sir, a very long journey indeed. I was hoping to find some sanctuary to rest, at least for the time being, and this seemed like an ideal spot." Dipping her head low to show respect, she introduced herself.

"I am Ki'irha, a free mare. Born to a nomad and a warrior." She lifted her head, resuming eye contact. "My apologies if I have wandered into your territory."

The unicorn stallion who stood before her looked proud and regal, with the scars of a warrior. Perhaps he was the king of this place, and she was to fall to the same fate as her brothers. Despite her weakened state and frailty, a bravery, or perhaps stupidity, grew inside her breast, preparing to fight until the last moment if need be. But she still hoped it wouldn't be necessary, and the red beast before her would be a friend instead of a foe.

OOC:: Yes, please tag me!
@[d'Artagnan]

"blah blah blah."

[Image: 5581b91112f69]
Colored by Kels ♡
Lines by Bronzehalo

Please Tag Me ○ Permission for magic and injury is granted. Just no death or permanent harm.

d'Artagnan
the
NightShade
She seemed… normal. At least she wasn’t another Johnny.

With relief flooding through his body, d’Artagnan relaxed a little and listened intently to her reply. A free mare with a long journey behind her, why was that? The cogs in his brain pondered why she had travelled so far and from where she had travelled, from what place had cast her aside to the wayward road. Or had she been born a free mare? He then began to wonder what she meant by free mare, but found himself digressing away from the situation at hand. Ki’irha was the name that fell from her lips. An odd designation and perhaps its uniqueness would help him remember in the future. Names were never a strong point of his.

Content with proceedings, the Mender also dipped his head in reply with a faint smile on his lips. Territory? The Threshold belonged to the new faces and the eager recruiters, the shade had never seen a ruler in this part of the wilds and he wasn’t sure anyone would want to rule it being so close to the border. Though, one wouldn’t have to walk far to complete missions of enlistment.

"This is wild land, there are no rulers in this part of the woods" he shrugged in effort to put any worries at ease. His mismatched eyes roved over her appearance once again and he began to speculate whether she’d be able to make it up the mountain… if she wanted shelter and a home that is. The seasons were turning and Frostfall was fast approaching, the mountain trails were not getting easier to navigate. "I suppose I should welcome you to Helovia" he motioned in general to the land before her. "I’m d’Artagnan, a Mender of the Aurora Basin, a herd to the far north of here and a settlement in the mountains." As he spoke, Aramis sat back on his haunches and reached down to scratch his front leg, not overly committed to the conversation, but he listened as he itched.

Introduction finished he paused to consider her for a moment, remembering something she had said before and drawing upon it "a free mare… Would a free mare require a home?" His gruff voice asked, genuinely quite curious. A daughter of a warrior might come in handy later after all.

@[Ki'irha]
Poison is in everything, and no thing is without poison. The dosage makes it either a poison or a remedy.

yewrezz | larfsalot
on deviantart

filled with rage

Noella

Ki'irha

The red stallion seemed to relax, and she mirrored the the motion. But her mind remained wandering. She had been raised outside of borders. Her father had always told stories of his life in a herd, how despite the safety and harbor a herd may offer, it also came with the price of invisible ropes tying a unicorn to the land. Of corrupt rulers, abuse, crazed kings and queens. He taught her and her brothers that life as a free creature would provide its own rewards, though he was never able to elaborate between rigorous training exercises. It never made sense to her, but she blindly followed. She was but a filly in a cruel world, and her sire and dam were the ones who gave her shelter, who protected her. Her father's teachings were law, and she didn't question them until he turned on her. Until he almost killed her through his neglect and anger. But despite her father's teachings on the importance of freedom, he still managed to instill in her a subconscious need for leadership. His lessons fell apart at the seams, leaving her to be a blank canvas to be taught or manipulated. But, alas, what did any if it matter if being a free mare lead her to starve or be killed? A chill ran down her spine, and she was unsure if it was from the bite of the autumn air, or from the thought of death.

The stranger shrugged, and told her this was free territory they stood in. Helovia, he called this land. He shared his name, and his title.
"d'Artagnan," she repeated, knowing the name would stick if she let it roll from her own lips.

She cast her smokey gaze towards the north, considering his invitation. Mountains were visible through the distant haze. Her bones ached, reminding her yet again of her past, and her journey so far. It would not be an easy trek, and she did not know what would be waiting for her, if she even made it.
"A home," she sighed, her eyes still distant.
"Will your home so willingly accept a strange vagabond? I am nothing but a stranger to you. Perhaps it is time to find a place to settle, to be safe, . If I will be welcomed, if I am allowed to grow strong again, I will repay any debts I owe. But I won't make it alone, and hope you will guide me, d'Artagnan."

The black starry coated mare fell silent, catching his gaze. Why end her journey now, if home could be right around the corner?

Home.

OOC:: Sorry if that was awful, I'm getting back into this whole thing. I'll get better, promise.
@[d'Artagnan]
"Talk"

Colored by Kels ♡
Lines by Bronzehalo

Please Tag Me ○ Permission for magic and injury is granted. Just no death or permanent harm.

d'Artagnan
the
NightShade
He smiled at her question; it was a good question, a wise question. It wouldn’t do her any good if he led her into a mistrusting herd now would it. Luckily, most here welcomed a stranger with openness. Perhaps it was because of a need for more friendship, companionship or just the selfish want for bodies to deter battles ensuing. Whatever the reason, recruiting was a tedious duty, but a frequent one that caused a myriad of scents to fill the Threshold. "Maybe they will, maybe they won’t, but it’s safer than the wilds I can say that." He couldn’t speak for the whole herd, yet, he couldn’t see any reasons why they would object. They hadn't before. Besides, daughter of a warrior, they should be thanking him. That was if she didn’t offend everyone in her first week, then yes, perhaps she would be cast into the cold. She was a stranger, but so was everyone at one point.

The Doctor shifted his bag, scowling for a moment in annoyance as it caused an itch to tickle his shoulder and he silently cursed the meddling tree that had strapped the stupid thing to him. It wasn’t like he didn’t find it handy, but sometimes he just wanted to scratch an itch without being obstructed by some leather device that hugged him tightly. Pushing the feeling aside, he looked to the mountain and the journey ahead before looking back at the mare. "Follow if it pleases, I can show you the way" he nodded as Aramis set off into the trees, wanting to be ahead so he could hunt along the way. He was not one for lingering around to talk.

"Though you look a little tired, can you face a journey that goes up a mountain?" the Mender paused, pursing his lips as a thought occurred to him. "I am a Doctor, if you need energy for the journey…" he left the comment hanging, a suggestion for her to chew on if she will, the mountain was not the easiest to travel through. If Ki’irha collapsed on him on the way it would make things… Difficult. At least it wasn’t Frostfall yet and the Basin wasn’t snowed in behind the wild white wastes of the Steppe.

@[Ki'irha]

yewrezz | larfsalot
on deviantart

filled with rage

Noella
Ki'irha
I have loved the stars to fondly || To be fearful of the night
The midnight mare smiled. She couldn't deny that he was correct. She was sure to be dinner if she wasn't on her way. She straightened up, turning her head towards the north, her horn like the needle of a compass. "I would be honored to follow you to your home, and thankful for your guidance and perhaps protection." She stepped forwards, walking delicately towards a tree to rub her shoulder on, ridding another patch of course fur. The curve of her bones still remained present, and though she was frail, she still moved with a graceful purpose. A patch of light caught her flank, and for a moment her deep blue undercoat shone through, her spots the stars in a dark sky.

She turned back towards d'Artagnan, and he reminded her of his trade. That would be lovely, she sighed, grateful for the chance at relief. To be quite honest, she doubted she would make it out of the Threshold, let alone up a mountain side. The care of a doctor would be best. "And perhaps, along the way, you could teach me of your world, your herd, your trade. Embarrassed, she cast her eyes away for a moment. "That is, if you would like. If you're not one for talking, or prefer your secrets, I understand. I just haven't had a conversation in ages, and you have the misfortune of being the first unicorn to cross my path to engage with me
"

She had missed so much. Conversations, play, training, spars. A safe sleep. She was a likeable mare, sweet as honey, and hoped it would help her in returning to her former glory. Even a sparring partner would make her feel at home. And this stranger may provide knowledge on medicine, which had always interested her, especially with knowing the love her mother had for plants and healing. But despite everything else she wanted, she wanted nothing more than to be a beautiful warrior again.

@[d'Artagnan]

Speech
Image Credit
Colored by Kels ♡
Lines by Bronzehalo