the Rift

[OPEN] A Realm for the Free

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi
The Doctor accepted his role as tour guide; he had done it many times before with each journey never quite the same as the last, the different companionship made for often interesting conversation. Though little had been said so far between him and the young black mare who accepted his offer of home. She reminded him a little of his young self, first fleeing exile and then fleeing shadow, yet, he too had yearned for something solid to return with a patch of land to call home. It was like a permanent sense of safety was preferred rather than the hectic fear of living rough. However, things never quite settled down the way he imagined and still he got caught up in fights here and there. The Nightshade wouldn’t have it any other way. Too much peace dulled the senses.

After she had finished relieving an itch on a handy tree, the Doctor walked towards Ki’irha and attempted to approach her right side. The more energy she had the easier it would be for the trek back. Slowly, as not to startle her, he tried to place his sooty velvet nose on her shoulder whilst gathering the magic of time. It was easy to use now, like music in his head that flowed so simply, so instinctively and shifted outward towards the body of the young mare. Turning the cogs of time back, feeding energy into her body that was starved of it and healing any small injuries she may have gained on the way. Meticulously, he restored her back to travelling health and, when he had finished, took a deep breath and stepped back. "Follow me, I’ll talk along the way" he ushered her northwards and began walking whilst thinking of ways to start.

Where to begin.

He wasn’t a great a storyteller, he often left out details and skimmed over areas he found boring. He was also quite matter-of-fact, this happened and then that happened. No imaginative flair or magical embellishment. In the end he started with the herd, the past could be told sometime later, but the present was far more useful. At least, d’Artagnan thought so. "The Aurora Basin has a patron God, the God of Time. There are three other Gods also present throughout Helovia, you’ll most likely run into them now and then. Do be careful, getting too involved with them can be… Hazardous." His voice almost seemed to ripple and snarl like he had a bad taste in his mouth. The shade’s Godly run in was a story all in itself.

"The Basin’s day to day running is left to Deimos and Ophelia, the Lord and Lady. From there a ranking system is in place where the heads of discipline come next, they generally serve as advisers to the leader in charge and teach those under them" he paused and turned his head to consider the mare "on that thought, do you have a favoured discipline? Spying, healing, fighting… You don’t have to, but there are roles you can take up" though she could remain a simple herd dweller if she wanted.

The Mender continued the journey as day turned to night, past the Hidden Falls and up into the colder air of the mountain range. As he got to the Frozen Arch, the aurora borealis glittering in the sky, he spoke of the battle for the Falls not so long ago, it wasn’t a detailed report, he hadn’t been there after all. Just small details, they marched with the Edge, they won, though had little to show for it. d’Artagnan’s indifference shone through his words although he was more than quite content with the prisoner they had claimed. "Peace can be fleeting here sometimes, I would keep a good polish on your combat skills" he informed gruffly, hoping she was not too gentle of heart, it was a luxury one couldn’t always afford here.

He passed through the Frozen Arch after some time and found Aramis in the Frostbreath Steppe. The hound jogged over to him and continued the rest of the way by his side. Together they found the entrance to the Aurora Basin a day later and followed it down past the sentinels and to the bottom where they came to a halt in front of the permafrost ground that rolled out before them. "Welcome to the Aurora Basin" he finished.

@[Ki'irha]
** Just a quick note! d'Artagnan's current IC knowledge is that Ophelia is still Lady, he doesn't know about the change in leadership yet :3
Built with a heart, broken from the start
and now I die slow

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!

Ki'irha Posts: 176
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 5 years old HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Noella
Ki'irha
I am too fond of the stars || To be fearful of the night.
The midnight mare had never been touched by magic before. To begin the journey, the doctor had offered to help her with his gift. With what she could only describe as a gentle kiss on her shoulder, it began to take effect. She felt a warmth blossom in her muscles. Like roots, it planted itself into her, rushing her veins and digging deep into her tissues and bones. Initially her knees trembled, but then the strength dripped in like drops off of an icicle in early spring. It build up in her hocks, filling her entire body in a glowing warmth. A glimmer returned to her eyes. Her stomach felt full, the raging hunger settling. Her leonine tail flicked and coiled around her hind legs. Though her bones still protruded, she felt rejuvenated and whole. She reared back, her long thin legs raking the air. She sprang forward, kicking out, and dashed in a circle around d'Artagnan. For a moment she was a wild filly, and she felt wonderful. She came to a bouncing halt, shaking her head, a flurry of white waves splashing over the nape of her neck. A light laugh escaped from her maw.

"Oh, my darling, thank you!" She exclaimed. "You have quite a gift."

The walk was long, and gradually the air grew colder. She picked along rocky foot paths, being careful to avoid lodging small bothersome stones between the cloves of her hooves. They stopped several times to sip from babbling streams, and chew on the greenery along their trail. But she noted the further north they went, how the soft green plants became tough and woody to survive the harsh cold she was told was waiting in the Basin.

Her guide told her about the gods that protect the lands. The God of Time was their patron. She had only heard stories if gods interacting with unicorns, but they always seemed bursting with fantasy and far from fact, so she never believed. But the tone in his voice - was it hostility? - was enough warning for her to heed his words.

He discussed the leaders, a lord and a lady, of the Aurora Basin. There seemed to be order and ranks in this herd, which she would have to get used to. He listed off the disciplines.

"I know how to fight," she said, "But the art of medicine and healing has always interested me. I share the same loves of my parents, despite their differences. I would hate to have to pick one, but I suppose decisions will have to be made." A job may create a further purpose, and being an asset may make it difficult to be forced away.

He shared more history of the herd, including a recent war. War, though it brings a heavy price, was necessary. Sometimes fighting was a requirement for peace, and killing a requirement for life. Nothing was black and white, and the world was easily painted in shades of beautiful and painful grey.

The air grew cold, and bit at her flanks. She had never known cold like this, but was sure she could adapt to it. Especially with Frostfall approaching, she wouldn't have much time to do so. The hellhound reappeared, and remained close for the rest of the trip. "Your dog, is he your pet? I've never seen a creature like him." As she questioned him, he noticed they had come to a stop. Colors twisted in the air. The landscape stretched far before them.

Welcome to the Aurora Basin, d'Artagnan announced. It was beautiful.

"Thank you," she smiled. "Your home is beautiful. I've never seen anything like it. Perhaps you can introduce me to your herd mates, so when I wander they don't mistake me for an intruder." Her stormy eyes looked to the sky. "Also," she began, shifting her weight side to side awkwardly, "What lives here? What race calls this land home? Is there a mix, or is it just those like us?" Though an uncomfortable question, she was honestly curious.

@[d'Artagnan]
Image Credit
[Image: 5581b91112f69]
Colored by Kels ♡
Lines by Bronzehalo

Please Tag Me ○ Permission for magic and injury is granted. Just no death or permanent harm.

He had watched her antics back in the Threshold and he was reminded briefly of just how young she looked. Her serious seeming attitude was older than the mere few years on her physical looks, but the wild gesture was quite enough for the shade to see that his magic had indeed worked. It had been so long since he’d used the power, it was like brushing dust off a book that he already knew all the words that came in it and he recited it perfectly to restore her back to this prancing form. When she had thanked him he had quite simply nodded before heading north, not really used to compliments he rather brushed over her thanks and blundered off. If only the world was full of white-maned Ki’irha’s then things wouldn’t be so bad.

They travelled and he was pleased to learn of her interest in his own discipline. A while ago, d’Artagnan couldn’t care less if others took up healing or not, he didn’t particularly like the art himself and didn’t feel like forcing it on his kin. The shade liked healing for the closeness to the heart and how easy it was for him to rob life from the already vulnerable. Everyone trusted the healer? Right? A soldier had to fight to kill, a soldier was a suspect, a Doctor however was generally more trusted and is often handed a heart on a plate. It was easy, he liked it and it was different from what he had been taught. Of course, it was the Plague that had placed the role upon him, or Mauja to be exact. The idea of being something other than a soldier had never occurred to him until he met Mauja six years ago. "If healing is what you decide to do I can aid you in that" he nodded before a thought occurred to him and he grimaced "though if I’m too scary there’s a bay mare with a fox friend called Lena who can also help you". Sweet and innocent Lena, the perfect picture of what a healer should be, not twisted and corrupt. If only he’d been born her brother.

"My guard" he corrected before Aramis had chance to throw a mucky look in response to the word ‘pet’. "He’s a dog of hell and is bonded to me. It’s a strange phenomenon that happens here. One day you’re on your own, the next you have some strange animal following you around that breathes fire and talks to you in your head. At least, that happened to me. Maybe it will happen to you" he shrugged. Although the Nightshade liked to think he had earned his hellion servant, he had fought off a boggart for it after all whilst the rest had failed in fruitless endeavours to defeat the thing. He had quite literally conquered his fears to be rewarded with Aramis.

On arrival she commented on their home and he vaguely nodded. It was alright; the beauty of it had worn off on him by now though the sparkling Borealis was still something to be gawked at. "Most here are unicorns I doubt you’ll have much trouble fitting in. There is the odd one or two hybrids" the words fell off his tongue in grim disgust before he continued "but for the most part the only creature you will find is the horned kind."

Then he paused, remembering a bit of advice he was meant to give earlier but had forgotten, "Frostfall is around the corner and the Basin has a reputation for being snowed in. I would find a cave as soon as you can, it will keep you warm and alive" even the Doctor who was now quite hardy and used to cold winters sheltered in his cave much of Frostfall.

@[Ki'irha]
D: Sorry for the delay!
and now I die slow

filled with rage

Ki'irha Posts: 176
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 5 years old HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Noella
Code:
Ki'irha
Quote can go here || Watch the length
A friendly laugh bubbled from her lips. "I don't find you scary," she said, her laugh melting into her words. "Though I don't know you any more than as a simple acquaintance, you were kind enough to provide me with a home. Especially with Frostfall so suddenly upon us, you easily could have left me to whither in the Threshold. A shiver rippled down her. This land already seemed to be blanketed with a kiss of Frostfall, so she wasn't sure how severe it would become with the actual season finally here. She found herself standing closer to the red buck than may be considered comfortable, but the subtle warmth radiating from him was pulling her subconsciously close. Her mane fluttered gently in the breeze, and her tail coiled around a hind fetlock. "I would love to learn more of your trade, and input from another doctor I'm sure will be beneficial." To be honest, though, she could not decide whether to follow a path of medicine and healing, or remain loyal to what she knew, and follow the path of a warrior. Not typically an indecisive mare, she was caught off guard by her internal crossroad. But she figured she would have time to work out the details.

If unicorns could blush, she certainly would have, in this case with embarrassment. The way he spoke of his companion, of his bonded, made her comment of the hellhound being a mere pet sound offensive. She looked towards Aramis and dipped her head in respect, in greeting, in apology. "That certainly sounds interesting, and I apologize if my comment caused any ill-will. I've never heard of such an attachment. Perhaps, some day, I will be so lucky as to know it. In the distance, a white bird dipped from the sky, looking for shelter from the impending snow.

'Perhaps I should do the same,' she thought to herself. And quick, too, before all the caves and shelters were claimed. "I would love to learn more of your bonded, and of your magic. But I believe for now, I best heed your warning. And I do still need rest and a good meal, since your lovely care didn't cure everything." She smiled at the last statement as it was said in good fun, but no disrespect, she was still self conscious about her protruding bones. Though, she had to admit, his care seemed to soften the sharp corners that had before been painfully obvious.

@[d'Artagnan]
Speech
Image Credit
[Image: 5581b91112f69]
Colored by Kels ♡
Lines by Bronzehalo

Please Tag Me ○ Permission for magic and injury is granted. Just no death or permanent harm.

The Doctor hadn’t minded her closeness much, he was oblivious to most things and the extra body warmth was welcomed. His coat hadn’t quite reached maximum thickness though he was getting bushy around the ears. A small smile wove onto his lips when she declared herself not at all fearful of him, though the shade knew fear was often helpful, sometimes it was nice to have just one or two that didn’t think he was going kill them on site. "You’re getting softer in your old age" the mutt next to him dryly commented and the Mender frowned "either that or insanely bored of this life" he replied, his words almost grimacing. It was true, for the most part; d’Artagnan was losing his killers edge. Though it seemed to be more out of weariness for the lonely world around him than a softer soul. He knew he probably needed to do something about it, but he couldn’t fathom just what would inspire his bloodlust to return, instead he appeared to be embracing this new lethargy whilst his madness grew smaller in the back of his mind. A change of scenery was oft the answer, but where would he go?

Returning to the present, he shrugged at her apology showing she did little harm, though Aramis still sat with his offended expression. Their conversion was slowly turning into a natural end and the Time Mender offered the young mare a gentle nod towards the end of her words. "I’m afraid hunger is out of my grasp" he said with great lament, curing hunger would be a fine thing, but only good forage was the best antidote.

"I normally linger around the eastern caves should you need an old healer like me" he nodded towards their general direction before shifting his leather bag in a business like way. He thought about telling her not to eat the contents of his poison loaded hideout, but the devil in him wasn’t entirely dormant and he left that part out for the chance of future entertainment. "Don’t freeze" was his offer of parting words before he began to walk off with Aramis bounding ahead. What to do now? Perhaps he would hover around the Basin, looking for something interesting or someone, either that or return to his cave and fiddle with a few curious looking plants.

@[Ki'irha]
Sorry for the uber long wait! This seems like a natural ending, but feel free to call out to him if you want to continue it lol
and now I die slow

filled with rage