the Rift

[OPEN] The Fast

Knox Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 7 Years [Tallsun] HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen

Night has fallen, consuming. The dark is a warm blanket to the pair. Knox follows the curves of the veins' welcoming stonework, ascending to the place where the shrine of the Goddess of the Moon stands. The neglect that hangs across the memorial for his deity stings; the hunter stamps a hoof with errant dissatisfaction, shocking himself with the sound of its echo on the stone.

Manhattan hangs back in a sulk, her nose raised in the air and her mouth hanging open as she takes in the scents. Blood, Knox, she warns him with a hiss in his mind. And blood of the innocents.

But Knox cannot bring himself to care. He has at last returned to the center of his night mistress' power. It is she who gave him the power he has over others, now, and the power he has over himself.

She didn't give you me, his jealous companion thinks with a snarl. And it is true, that Manhattan is his greatest, closest friend he has ever had. She is his everything, the reminder that he is no island.

Still, her disdain for his Goddess will always be a point of tension between them. Knox lashes his tail at his back and towards his companion, beckoning her with a hum. But she stays where she is, at the foot of the incline towards the shrine, facing away from its holy moonlight. Let Knox end this ridiculous fast of his on his own, if he even will.

Knox's ancestor's all have something different to say about the fact that they are here, at the shrine of a god. It is Janos who is the most enraged--vengeance courses through the mind of the colt, fighting with Knox. But he, too, is a dissenter Knox will not tolerate. In a moment, Knox shifts. It is better to not stay revealed for too long, anyhow. His Goddess, if she has watching, has seen now who he is. If he cloaks himself or disguises his being in the body of an ancestor, it is only a display of the power she has given him: a sign of thankfulness.

Janos' gray dappled body resists every inch of this place. He paces, using what little control he has to shudder and shift where he stands, a coward and a heretic in the blue eyes of the hunter, the same blue eyes that he had inherited from Janos in some distant way. They were alike, in many ways. After all, Janos had been Roanne, once in a long distance of time before the old ones had curse him. Perhaps there had still been traces of that dappled pony in the Sentinel's sin and seed, still a persistent, vengeful energy of one who had barely been allowed to live.

Listen to this devotion, Janos, Knox whispered into his ancestor's mind, soothing the jittery body of the young ancestor. See her beauty, even if only in my words.

Fool. You fool. Gods are killers, power is corruption. The ancients destroy, they take what they want and leave nothing but blood!

Knox doesn't dignify Janos' blasphemy with a response. Instead, draped in the clothes of his ancestor, he raises his face to the sky and closes his eyes, letting moonlight fill his being.

"My Goddess, dark lady of the moon, I have returned at last to live once more beneath your watchful gaze."

Manhattan lashes her tail, Janos balks, and the empty sky remains as it is: just that, an unblemished, swallowing darkness. No, the hunter realizes with a sigh, Knox has not convinced them in the slightest.

[[Tagged: @[Enna], any else who wish to join. Knox is currently in the form of Janos, more information can be found about him on Knox's profile. This is open to anyone--please let me know if I have permissions to use Knox & Manhattan magics if you join. Though it is unlikely they will use them, I like to have my bases covered. :)]]

KNOX and manhattan</style>
you can't look me in the eye and say you don't feel like a little destruction.</style>
image by D.R.F @ flickr.com

Enna Posts: 172
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.1 :: 5 ( TALLSUN ) HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Mehr :: Arctic Wolf :: None kels
A deep restlessness had stirred within you. Not exactly uncommon, but this was different. You had seen things, experienced them, things that you never had even dreamed that you would see. Once you had imagined what snow was like, how it would feel, smell, taste. You had once wondered what it would be to live in a herd, amongst those that weren’t your blood but you were expected to consider family nonetheless. You had once actually wished to see anything but another wave hitting the shore, once wished to hear anything but yet another cry of a sea-bird, taste anything but the salty spray of the sea-air. Once.

Once, but that was in another time.

Another place.

Another life.

You had wanted to see all of those things, sick of the same old thing, only because you didn’t have the chance.

Young and wild, your brother and you had made plans to leave, to explore the world that was just outside your little bubble of safety. You both were just waiting to be ready. You had thought that was what you wanted, where that deepdeepdeep sense of wanderlust came from, the unknown.

But you knew better now, now that it was all gone.

It was guilt and the knife of loss that had slid itself between your ribs that brought on the turbulence inside your chest, coursing through your veins. So you had wandered, vaguely aware of your choice of direction. All around you there was blue within the blackness of the night, a distinct heat rising from the pits of glowing magma. You hadn’t seen anything like it before, either, and it awakens a tinge of fear within your changeling heart. You realize as you watch that there are murmurs above the bubbling, a voice pitched against the wash of the tide, so quiet, that you had been following for god knows how long. It causes you to pause for just a moment, ears swiveling in hopes of catching something more than just the sound. ‘My goddess, dark lady of the moon, I have returned at last to live once more beneath your watchful gaze.

You follow the path before your feet carefully, eyes finally resting on a man of quicksilver bathed in the moonlight. Beneath him there is the shape of another creature, black as pitch. For a moment you watch, and when it makes no move you continue, assuming that it is a bonded, like the girl and the griffin that brought you home.

“Goddess?” You question openly, choosing to stay several paces back from the darkling creature at the bottom of the incline, your eyes somewhere in-between her and the gray man. “I’ve always been told the moon is the eye of a dragon that keeps the stars from falling out of the sky.” Even as you say it a part of you knows how ridiculous it must sound, but little do you care. Your brother had once believed it, once told you all the things he knew of the stars and the dragon and the sheer lack of gods. He knew all of their names ( which you had long forgotten, it was never really important to you just what they were called ) and the reasons they were there. he had said, once, that the stars were of the dead, protected by the great beast. It had been enough for you once, simply because he had believed in it so fervently, and you so readily. But now… now? “Do you think that is a lie?” Now, and for a while, it had just been a way to remember him, a way to keep those secret things that you had shared close, so close. It had been a way to keep him alive.

please tag enna in every post
violence permitted barring permanent injury / death

Jen

Time passes. It is slow and thoughtless, each moment the ticking of a clock unseen: the clock of the hunter's patience and hunger, the clock of his dying faith. When the Goddess of the Moon does not appear at first, he is simply surprised. But the night wears on and the moon slides every so slowly lower. Janos dissents and Manhattan, bitter and hurt, gloats. The Goddess of the Moon has not deigned to visit even one of her most loyal worshippers, and in that, has proven how tenuous his grip on faith is after all.

Knox is selfish. Despite the powerful way he walks and the magics he is blessed with, despite his age and travels now, he maintains some aspect of the child. And perhaps it is being in the form of young Janos, whose bitterness towards the gods is an unintended influence, but he finds his patience for his lady moon to be stunted.

The graying tail that Janos sports lashes in impatience. In the hunter's mind, the vengeful whispers I was right. But the Hunter dislikes, too, being wrong. He matches Janos' pacing with his own, bringing a ferocity to his step as it carries him in front of, around, and eventually, away from the shrine. How many times has he knelt there and accepted a curse? Has he not been blinded, maddened, and lost at this Goddess' whim?

And now, she cannot even show him her face.

When another appears his temper is short and his belief laid low. He regards her with a familiar apathy, one he sported for so long as a child, and stares her down with the piercing blue of a long dead one's eyes. She is, perhaps, beautiful, but the hunter has very little understanding of the concept. Beautiful to him is the inner kindness of Aylin, now lost to his selfishness.

The antlered mare's mythos is intriguing, if not altogether false. But there is an urgency with which she seems to believe in this lie, in this reptilian provider, that he cannot shake. He knows the Gods in Helovia are real because he has seen them. He has spoken with them, stood before their shrines and carried out quests for them. He has felt the effects of their magics and known they are true.

But what of this dragon? Could such a creature exist at the same time as his mistress? And what of this moment now, where his kindness is gone and his lover a distant memory? How is this proof that there has ever been a Goddess at all?

He cannot, in confidence, tell her she is wrong. He breaks gaze with her, turning away from her fine features instead. "Perhaps so," he says with a frown. He beckons Manhattan once more: it is only now, feeling that she has won, that she concedes.

There is a sort of anger burning in his chest, one borne of hurt and abandonment, from the fact that his Goddess has left him, but still he feels the old obligation of teaching this mare something. He was young, once, and he has grown up in this land long enough to know that without any knowledge, you will quickly find yourself suffering at the hoof of another.

He has, before, been the one causing such pain. Now, as he struggles with a rage in his heart, he tries to be someone else. For Aylin, his companion reminds--as if he does not already know.

"I only know that here, the Gods are four: each for an element of their own," he begins, unable to wipe the unfitting scowl off of Janos' features. "The Earth, the Sun, the Spark, and the Moon."

The night overhead is a mocking threat. Beneath its dim light, the hunter shifts and feels his magic stir. The uncertainty he feels becomes consuming. "At least, that's how it used to be."

[[Tagged: @[Enna]]]

you can't look me in the eye and say you don't feel like a little destruction.</style>

something filled up my heart with nothing

You study the blue of his eyes, as vast and endless as the north, the lack of something you cannot place in them chilling you to the core. You wither beneath that gaze, for a moment only wishing to disappear, to turn and flee and run like you had been doing for too long. But he breaks it, and you exhale sharply, only now realizing that you had been holding your breath. 'Perhaps so.' As the darkling beast moves you shift, glancing at her with a shade of uncertainty. It is not only entirely because of her, but because of the silver man’s less than direct answer.

You do not know what you had been expecting, but the unfamiliar taste of disappointment mounts in the back of your throat, thick and impossibly hard to swallow. Maybe you had hoped for something to dash the belief you still clung to so feebly,

'I only know that here, the Gods are four: each for an element of their own,' He pauses, and your gaze flits back to the emptiness, only hinting at something darker. 'The Earth, the Sun, the Spark, and the Moon.' If you were smarter, you would have taken your questions elsewhere, left the man to his grievances and anger and strange eyes.

"And how do you know that?"

At least, that’s how it used to be.

You blink, looking at him from underneath long, long eyelashes as your curiosity piques.

"What happened to them?"

Perhaps, if only you were smarter.

@[Knox] hkghhg JEN I AM SO SORRY ABOUT THE UTTER CRAP OF THIS.
-bakes endless amounts of cookies for- pls, find it in your heart to forgive me♥

Jen

The first thought, the only thing heard in response to the mare, is this: She's a smart one.

Janos' bitterness splits Knox's mind and compassion falls away. In his mind he struggles and fights, kicks and bites, and spits at the young ancestor that was, in some twisted way, his father.

You find her ignorance funny, weakling father? You think her impiety is a mark of intelligence? The mind roils, the heart twists, the moon lowers in the sky.

I think she knows what's real, the ancestor replies, his mental tone a frank one, and I think she knows what's godshit.

SILENCE!

For all the world, Knox wants to shift outside of this wretched, heretic form, but he knows it would be more than foolish to transform before this stranger. And so he stays as he is to her, stolid, unmoving, and a pillar of intimidation. He fights off the urge and frowns deeper, the only reveal that something else, something unseen, might be troubling him.

The stranger asks him where the gods have gone and as Manhattan rolls her eyes, he cannot help but chuckle. But the laughter is not a cheerful, friendly one. It is more like a breathless wheeze and a dark whisper, one brought about by so long without food or drink, so long without the company of one as curious as this.

"I know of them because I was born here," Knox replied through gritted teeth, his patience wearing thin with the night and the absence of his goddess. Was she really not to arrive? "You'd do best to feign understanding if you don't want to get singled out, around here," Knox added with a slight snarl. Its hostility is sudden and foreign on Janos' young lips, but it is there and uncontrollable. Manhattan places a paw on his hock, urging him to calm himself and take his anger out elsewhere, but she does little good.

"As for where they are..." at this the ancestral lifts his father's head, turning that dappled mask up to the sky. "I imagine somewhere up there. Ignoring us."

His disappointment is palpable, his bright blue gaze narrowing as it fills with rage. In his thoughts, Knox, influence by Janos's reckless hate for higher powers, sends a beacon of rage, a continuation of his sentiment: and I'm not going to wait for them. He turns from the mare, caring little for her presence. She is not the one he came her to see.

"DID YOU HEAR THAT?" Knox shouts, his words an issued command to the seemingly starless sky. "YOUR DISCIPLES ARE LEAVING YOU! YOU'VE LOST THIS PREACHER TONIGHT!"

And he reared, and he spat, and he was filled with a fury that young, grey pony body could not contain. He wanted to destroy his faith and all that surrounded it. He wanted to kill.

[[Tagged: @[Enna]. Hush, your post was lovely! Sorry Knox went kinda crazy.]]

something filled up my heart with nothing

As he spews words at you, clearly impatient though you do not know if you are the cause of it your ears pin back, a foreign anger rising within you defiantly, spurred by the hurt his words had brought on you. Your mismatched eyes bore in to his face, tail lashing about your slender legs violently. “Not everyone can be as observant as you, dickbag.” You spit, the words strange and forming with a malevolence that doesn’t feel like you at all. It is a quip, a shot at his clearly (in your opinion) lacking intelligence, which he just further confirms as he continues speaking, your blood continuing to boil, and suddenly it is too uncomfortable to sit and chat with the stone-colored man any longer. As he rears, screaming at someone who you do not believe to even be there, your anger begins to ebb away, turning more into confusion and the will to simply run away.

“I can’t say I blame them for abandoning the likes of you.” It is said with a knowing smile, vehement and cruel and unusual on the youthfulness of your face; it is meant to place a wedge in his heart, act as a catalyst to the clear frustration he is feeling. With that you nod and pirouette on tiny heels, your legs nimble beneath you as you traverse the bridge of land that had brought you here in the first place, your body shaking, heart quivering, from the rush of your short confrontation, mind filled with new, although questionable, information.

@[Knox] DANANANANANANANANANA BATMAN
ENNA OUT~♥