the Rift

make.damn.sure

Phaedraa Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Phaedra
I just wanna break you down so badly

She swayed as she walked, weaving through the trees and stepping carefully over the twig strewn ground. Without much thought she moved quietly, the habit rooted deep, avoiding predators though an attack like the one that had taken her sister was rare. The descending sun broke through holes in the forest and highlighted the dark dapples on her coat, a slight wind blowing her thin mane into more tangles. Phaedra slowed and shook her head slightly, the motion moving an ample forelock out of her amber eyes so as to improve her vision. The thin skin of her nostrils flared as she inhaled, recognizing the scent of other equines, ears attentive although she heard nothing that might tell her that she was no longer alone.

She slipped through close-growing forest into a small clearing, leaning her long body against the trunk of a nearby tree and rubbed, relieving an itch that had been bothering her for quite some time. She was simply too lazy to reach around and get it but the trunk provided a perfect solution. She leaned for a moment, letting part of her weight go, and her body relax. She had been traveling, although slowly, for what seemed like forever and wondered when it would be time to stop. Her chest was heavy, her heart weary for something to stay the same. The absence of companionship, the constant change in scenery, was finally wearing her down. She sighed, unsure of where to go from here. She supposed she should find somewhere to post up for the night but the effort seemed greater than she was willing to give. Phaedra knew she should feel hopeful, her future was uncertain and therefor open, but instead she just felt tired. Her lids descended as she let everything stop, just for this moment there could be nothing.

[ooc] So this is worse than horrible... I haven't written a post in about 4 years so I'm hoping it will all come back to me.

word count : 306

Ciceron Posts: 315
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 6 HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kiara :: White Tiger :: Poison nickel

Another season had come and gone without so much as a glimpse of what could be laying around the next bend. So much had happened this year from the successful invasion to the birth of his daughter, it all made him wonder where the time went. They had set out early that morning eager to start the day and make the most of the sunlight while it lasted. With the thrill of potential advancement within his rank the dappled warrior was determined to do his very best. This was all he had ever known during his lifetime so it was only natural for him to put his heart into it all. Kicking up his heels the duo set out to see what adventure would find them today. The air was crisp and the ground hardened from the first seasonal frost making it perfect for a good long gallop. Lengthening his stride with ease the grey raced forward leaving his less than amused companion just rolling her eyes at him. Kiara knew him all too well so she was in no hurry to race after him knowing damn well he would eventually circle back. There had been a time when she had raced after her bonded fearing getting left behind but as time passed along she trusted him to never leave her for too long. Sure enough after a few minutes the familiar hoofbeats returned to her side so they could figure out where they were going.

Shaking his head to clear his thick forelock from his face the stallion slowed as the trees began to thicken around them. It had been quite awhile since they had been down to the threshold but with their herd numbers low he figured it was the best way to recruit new arrivals. "If you find someone play nice and don't scare the living crap outta them." He commented silently with a playful smirk turning his head down towards Kiara. Her habit of bounding up to those they had not met before was enough to scare anyone who did not know that Kiara was not going to eat them. Hell if he was in their place and was faced with a adult white tiger bounding towards him he would likely think the same thing. Chuckling softly he lifted his head only to catch movement through the trees. Intrigued he altered his path so he could possibly greet whomever lay ahead.

Silver eyes swept over the bay briefly taking in her posture, and her general appearance so he could gauge her potential reaction. While she seemed subdued at the moment he knew better than to assume anything. Wickering softly he finally broke through the treeline with Kiara following close behind. "Hello there miss. Are you lost?" He asked calmly lowering his head slightly so not to seem so threatening.

Ciceron talks
Kiara speaks

•• TAGS: @[Phaedraa] •• NOTES: ••

Table by Moonstone Designs
[Image: ciceron_by_foxyfirewings-d7npcjn.png][Image: untitled_2_by_moonstone_designs-d9fwqyy.png]
Pixel Base- BronzeHalo
**Please Tag Me In All Posts**
Permission to attack, use magic and injure with the exception of maiming or death.

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
The answers you seek,
Shall be yours,
Once I claim,
What is mine.
The blustery cold of FrostFall was upon us now and in no way similar to the previous year. I had taken to the forests of the World’s Edge to escape the frigid breeze that made resting in the fields feel almost unbearable… I feared what kind of winter Helovia might come to face despite my own adoration of the snow, as it appeared an unavoidable nuisance. The past few weeks had proven well-spent in preparation for the seasonal frost, as my coat had grown thick and unruly, and Sabine certainly approved of the change. The young Zephyr had slowly aged and now that she weighed in at around two pounds, she could no longer roost in the tangled knots of my mane (curtesy of the bird herself). Though, I couldn’t complain about her change of heart… It was a relief that she’d moved her perch between my shoulder blades, even if she often gathered a bit of my coat to shield herself from the biting wind.

As we made our way again toward the barren wood of the Threshold, Sabine was content to stretch her wings and cry out to the empty canopy in search of fellow avian inhabitants. However, I knew that my sweet companion would hear no reply, what with the native birds having migrated for the winter. Until spring, I thought reluctantly. I knew that she was incapable of yet slipping into my mind for answers to her various questions, but everything would be allowed in time.

After a good while of searching for nothing in particular, I chanced upon a fresh set of tracks that carried the fine scent of feminine allure. I paused in order to determine their route and soon discovered a narrow path hidden away beneath the thinning underbrush. In fact, it didn’t take long to scout out the mare and what appeared to be a new companion, but upon discovering the brute’s identity I found myself uncertain about my approach.

Ciceron had once been loyal to the Edge, or perhaps only Kahlua and Kaj, but he no longer shared allegiance to the sacred land of the Moon. Yet, I found myself open to his company because, as far as I was concerned, he was still a friend to me. The mare he accompanied was similar in color to myself with eyes the color of golden amber. Out of respect for their certain conversation I rumbled a low and hearty greeting to announce my arrival before entreating their companionship. “Greetings! I hope you don’t mind my company,” I began while looking to each in turn. “Ciceron, it is nice to see you well…” I commended while fixing my gaze on the dappled stallion. I wasn’t yet sure how he would regard me and therefore had decided to keep things light, if a bit formal. Sabine, privy to the heaviness of my emotion, stirred from her position atop my back and peered around my shoulder in order to inspect the unfamiliar creatures. For the first time in a while she was quiet, probably more amused by the mare than anything else. After all, she’d spent most of her time getting acquainted with Evangeline and had yet to lay eyes on another lady such as she.

The night-colored bird stretched her wings in a display of interest and the stars that lined her ruffled feathers caught the half-light of evening and twinkled softly against the vibrant rays. She had shed the soft down of infancy and had finally grown into the midnight painted feathers of adulthood. Her beak had turned with the months from a pale grey to a striking white, along with the thick skin that extended from toe to tarsus. “It seems that you’ve caught Sabine’s attention,” I allowed quietly to the unknown mare. The bird was still perched at my back, but her wide, golden eyes were unmoving and perhaps a bit curious. “I’m Thor by the way and Sabine is my companion. Welcome to Helovia,” I finished with a wide smile. I was uncertain if the lady had any experience with the mythical elements of the land that had seemed to surprise so many others in the past and I could only hope that my appearance had not alarmed her nor the man I’d once pegged as brother.

Image Credits

@[Phaedraa] @[Ciceron]

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Unregistered

Phaedra
I just wanna break you down so badly

Although Phaedra had been resting she was instantly attentive to the sound of something moving through the brush. Tall ears stiffened, moving forward to gauge the distance of whatever was moving closer. The thin skin around her nostrils flared as she brought in the scent of an equine and… something unfamiliar. The bay tensed, eyes widening at the foreign scent. A whicker came and a… unicorn came through the trees. Pheonyx had spoken of them, mostly as a myth, in stories but the mare took his horn in stride. Just because she hadn’t seen something didn’t mean it did not exist. The other creature on the other hand screamed instantly of predator, it was some kind of big cat and seemed to be following the grey and didn’t seem an immediate threat. Nonetheless the image of the wolves bearing down on them, the echo of her sisters’ scream, all of it flashed behind her eyes and she involuntarily flattened her ears and took two small steps back.

Then he spoke to her and his words seemed soft, harmless, and she softened her posture although she did not move closer to the creature behind him. She stifled her fear of the creature and focused solely on the unicorn that had spoken to her. That was an interesting question. What she lost? “That’s somewhat of a tricky question. I suppose I am lost in the sense of not knowing where I am… but when one has no destination how can they possibly be lost?” Her voice sounded confident and she was impressed with her attempt to be witty but she was aware that her eyes were zeroed in on the cat. She might as well acknowledge her uncomfortability as it had to be obvious. “Is it… it won’t attack me will it?” She asked softly, unsure of what to call the creature but slowly growing more used to the idea that this creature seemed to be somehow with the grey stallion – and if he posed her no harm than perhaps the creature did not either.

Phaedra had been so focused on that large white cat that she hadn’t even noted the approach of someone else. She turned as he greeted them, calling the other Ciceron as they were apparently acquainted. She dipped her head to him and adjusted so as to be able to watch both of them at once. This one too had a creature with him. Some sort of bird perched on him. The bird was lovely and displayed its’ wings which Phaedra took to be just for her. Phaedra did not move but stretched out her neck to bring her face somewhat closer to the creature and made a small sound of pleasure. “I’m Phaedra – and of course I don’t mind the company, either of you. Or… all four of you I suppose,” she said, sweeping her gaze across her visitors. Her tone conveyed slight confusion but she wasn’t quite sure what to ask – and through her confusion she had a distinct sense of peace. It was lovely to just be in the presence of others again.

Watching carefully as the mare slowly came to her senses to regard them both he smiled trying to reassure her that they meant her no harm. If she reacted to meeting someone such as himself he would not take offense for it was of no fault of her own. A few of the fellow equine's he had met along the way had reacted differently having never before laid eyes on a unicorn. Some referred to those of his species and of the pegasus variety as somewhat of a myth or legend so to say. In reality, they were very similar compared to what most would think with the exception of either having a horn or a set of wings or both. While various emotions passed quickly across her features the most notable was the fear as Kiara's presence became obvious. Sometimes he felt as if his companion enjoyed causing a ruckus with those who did not know her, not that she would admit to it.

It wasn't long before another set of hoofbeats swayed his attention from the delicate fae for a moment. Silver eyes swept over a familiar face bringing a kind smile to his maw. While they had not been away from the Edge for long he did miss conversing with some of those who chose to stay behind in the invasion. The shaggy stallion might be with a different alliance now but friendships didn't need to be cut short as a result. He was still as much a brother to him than anyone of the current Fall's inhabitants. Nodding his greeting respectively with a short dip of his crown he waited for Thor to finish speaking before he added in his two cents. "As to you as well. I hope you all are doing well since we last spoke." He commented kindly.

The soft feminine vocals caught his ear as Phaedra finally opened up to speak to them. At first he would have thought her tone would be relatively wavering and uncertain but he was pleased to see more of a gentle confidence emerge instead. "I guess it is all in the way you think about it." Pausing for a moment to consider the opinion he finally spoke once more wanting to clear up any mistaken information floating around. "How rude of me, I apologize. My name is Ciceron and this here is Kiara. You don't have to worry about her she means no harm to any of us." As if to prove this Kiara batted her tail against his slender leg before turning to sit between his front hooves watching Phaedra with curiosity.

Ciceron talks
Kiara speaks

•• TAGS: @[Thor] @[Phaedra] •• NOTES: my apologies for the kinda crummy post, just got off working 13hrs :p ••

[Image: ciceron_by_foxyfirewings-d7npcjn.png][Image: untitled_2_by_moonstone_designs-d9fwqyy.png]
Pixel Base- BronzeHalo
Permission to attack, use magic and injure with the exception of maiming or death.

The answers you seek,
Shall be yours,
Once I claim,
What is mine.
The young Zephyr preened her feathers, a reaction to the mare’s delight at her curiosity, and cooed slightly in gratitude. She was not a creature who rewarded ignorance or avoidance, or really anything that did not suit her fancy. In fact, had the mare not extended curtesy toward the bird, imminent squawking and ruthless banter would ensue… such was my life since taking the creature beneath my figurative (albeit absent) wing. The thought of such a frail and futile past where the appendages were concerned felt somehow pitiful… I hated to remember them perched so lightly across my back. I hated to imagine the questions they stirred in unfamiliar parties. I’d never been able to fly, but at least now I wouldn’t have to explain the deformities- only the scars.

With thoughts of the past and self-pity behind me, I turned to regard the righteous figure that was Ciceron. The stallion had been a warrior of the Edge not too long ago and such a demeanor had only followed him to the Falls. I envied him that. At another time or perhaps another place I would inquire about his new position in the exotic oasis to the northeast, a land riddled in so much blood and loss, but not today. However, I couldn’t seem to press the words to my teeth without regret, let alone allow such sentiment the air enough to breathe life to our conversation. But such words were not meant to soothe myself… I needed to make sure that the dappled stallion still regarded me with faith and understanding. I would miss so many of those I’d chosen to leave behind. “I’m as well as can be presumed… brother. Another day might shed light on such information and I hope to share more than formalities with you,” I proffered with a weak smile. I didn’t want the opportunity to recreate the taking of the Falls. I’d seen enough bloodshed over the years. Now was the time to rebuild.

My stare was again drawn to the lady when she received my introduction –fondly? Kindly?- without hesitation. It wasn’t often that a brute of neither my size nor caliber sat well alongside ladies and lads of the gentler nature. Of course, first impressions did little for my appearance and therefore I was left to more creative options to bridge the gap between monster and man. “Phaedra, it is a pleasure to meet you –Sabine has already confirmed as much- and I want to formally welcome you to this great land. I come from a land to the North called the World’s Edge and if you’re seeking refuge, I would be more than glad to allow you reprieve,” I volunteered warmly. The little Zephyr at my back purred her consent at the underlying emotion I exuded like an electric tie between her heart and mine. Without the words to interpret or the ability to share much else than a desire or a loss, Sabine had grown too capable of reading the hazy images I shared with her.

Of course, my boldness is not something a lady respects and I’m sorry for my tendency to be brash. There are four main herd lands within the realm that is Helovia, with Ciceron hailing from one of them. However, since I’ve already admitted my affinity for brashness, I must also tell you that I can be a selfish man. I could detail the fine attributes of the Dragon’s Throat or the Hidden Falls, but I’d rather regale you with painted images of my land by the sea. It is expansive woodland cloaked in mist and perhaps a bit of mystery as well. It is also the only land I’ve ever called home since arriving here and quite frankly, to add arrogance to my list of follies, I think you’d be most comfortable there… especially with the coming winter.” I concluded with a slight smile. I hated that I stood on the opposing end of a former brother in arms… I hated it more than words could rightfully describe. But this was the way of the world and the world didn’t stop turning for anyone… even after victory. Or defeat.

Image Credits

@[Phaedraa] @[Ciceron]

Unregistered

Phaedra noticed the cat… Kiara… looking at her and tried to draw herself up. She almost puffed up, asserting confidence that she wasn’t quite sure she felt. She turned her gaze from the zephyr to the tiger and lowered her head slightly to gaze at the cat, trying to convey that she thought that the creature was lovely as well. She felt proud in her ability to mask her wariness in this moment and turned again toward her two companions. “That is reassuring. And it is a pleasure to meet… all of you,” she said, something close to a laugh on the edge of her words as it seemed a bit odd to be including the other animals in this but at the same time wrong to exclude them. It seemed there would be some new adjustments she would have to make in her way of thinking if she planned on staying here in Helovia… and with her heart so heavy with loneliness she didn’t see any other viable option.

Phaedra turned back to the bird, fascinated and delighted by the response that she had received from Sabine. She gave the bird another soft noise before shifting her attention to Thor. She felt small in comparison to the both of them but especially this second stallion who stood hands above her. But instead of feeling inadequate or afraid she felt delicate and was surprised by this. Perhaps it was being greeted with such courtesy but Phaedra had never felt self-conscious about her appearance, and although Cicerons’ horn was lovely and Thors’ stature was near-intimidating she knew that the dapples on her coat were lovely when the sunlight caught them and her thick forelock lying over her eyes made her appear feminine and mysterious. It was awkward being here in the presence of others but at the same time it was almost like she was home. She had been so afraid of stumbling over her words and being unsure of what to say but instead her thoughts sprung from her mouth with confidence and little thought, her stance was confident and almost proud.

The mention of a herd caught her off-guard. Of course she knew that was the preferred lifestyle and it was something she had longed for in her youth. She remembered as a teenager feeling she had been denied something owed her as Pheonyx would not let them live communally. Phaedra now understood that the anxiety was too much for her sister, who was prone to worry and panic, and instead was only grateful that Pheo had given her all that she had and more than she was comfortable with. “I suppose a herd… that would be interesting. You see I have always lived alone, or just with my sister, but I think that being around others would be nice… although different.” She hesitated for a moment, unsure of whether to accept the offer or not, before turning to Ciceron. She looked at him although her words were in answer to Thor and for the both of them. “Your land sounds lovely although… Ciceron hails from somewhere different? I wouldn’t want to rob him of an opportunity to tell of his land if that too was his intention in greeting me,” she said. And she sounded confident but inside she hoped she wasn’t being presumptuous in assuming the other stallion wanted to offer her shelter as well. In fact she wasn’t sure what she would do if they both extended an offer of a herd, she didn’t know anything about living in a herd let alone how to choose between multiple offers. Phaedra looked between the both of them, looking directly out into the distance as if the horizon held the answer.

@[Ciceron] @[Thor]
[ooc] I'm very happy I found the original coding for her image in the depths of an old site I had!

Tipping a hind hoof to shift his weight the dapple settled in content with enjoying simple conversation with fellow friends. This was a great way to help ease the stress of all the changes in his life, just sitting back and forgetting about all the responsibilities that awaited him back home. While things seemed strained between himself and Parelia lately he still held hope that perhaps things would work themselves out over time. Ilios leaving the herd had been one shock to find considering not so much as a word had been mentioned to him about it. Yes he had grown up fast, almost too fast but shouldn't he get to have an opinion in it all as well? Even with his daughter he felt like he was always set off to the sidelines when it came to any decisions with his family. It hurt to watch it happening but what more could he do when he didn't want to push the already delicate threads holding them all together?

Kiara's gently prodding against his mind drew him back to the present as Phaedra's voice once again sounded against the mild humm of the outside world. Listening to her speak of the bits of her past she cared to share made him want to help her even more by giving her a family she could rely on. His home had always been with the Fall's and it had been near impossible to forget it in the short time he had live within the Edge's walls. It had felt small and too confined for him having been accustomed to the open expanse of the hills and waterfalls decorating the Fall's landscape. " Kiara and I come from the Hidden Falls just up to the northeastern part of Helovia. While the climate may been a tad bit cooler at times we do have the protection of the mountains and valleys running throughout our land. Instead of vast areas of forest and mist we have numerous cascading waterfalls to beautify the landscape." He described trying to use as much detail as possible. Thor's description of the Edge rather surprised him considering how hard he had found it to get around the place. Surely with Thor's height things must be twice as difficult unless he had just managed to master it throughout his years there.

"I do offer you the same opportunity to come join us but please don't feel pressured. If you decide to take me up on our offer I would be pleased but I want you to make the best decision for yourself. No matter what the offer will be available to you should you wish." Unlike his brother Thor he was not going to be brash and suggest that one place would be better than the other. Both were great opportunities and surely whatever the decision was Phaedra would be happy. Plus on the off chance she was not happy in one place she could always feel free to come see what the other was like. Neither herd was going to hold her hostage and make her sign a binding contract after all he thought with a bemused smirk. That might be something the Basin might take into consideration but not either of them.

Ciceron talks
Kiara speaks

•• TAGS: @[Phaedra], @[Thor] •• NOTES: ••

Pixel Base- BronzeHalo

The answers you seek,
Shall be yours,
Once I claim,
What is mine.
It would be hard to deny my selfish habits, especially when it came hand in hand with competition –for that’s what this was- but at least I tried to broach the topic of recruiting with a shard of truth. The World’s Edge was not unlike any other land in the realm made up of various acquired tastes and wicked illusions. It would be wrong to lie and say that it was the greatest or the most extravagant, but such notions were born of the beholder… and as such, I was willing to forget myself for a time. Aye, a gentleman of my size had to learn how to navigate through the pines –but there were pathways- and he might become deterred by the mists –though they were beautiful- but every fine gesture was delivered with tact or a certain underlying message. That’s just how life worked and it wouldn’t soon be changing its ways. Everyone concealed a weakness of sorts; I guess I was just wise enough to live by mine instead of bowing to their whims.

The Zephyr at my back had become anxious and her emotions were all but a torrent of colors and ideas that stretched the tie that was our bond. She had not yet learned to fly and as hindering as it was, Sabine never let her own failures keep her from the things she desired. Even if it came at a price (of which I often paid). I had not warned Phaedra of the bird’s incessant need to investigate all that made her wonder and when Sabine had had enough of watching and waiting, she clawed and bit her way down my back in order to jump headlong toward the forest floor. Her little wings beat furiously against the autumn breeze and though I had never seen anything so ungainly as she, I respected her ability to strike the drum even when her notes had long passed.

I smiled as the mare of interest returned the Zephyr’s affection, but I knew that once the bird was close enough to mount her new conquest Phaedra too would suffer the discomfort of her talons against the skin. “I think the pleasure is all Sabine’s,” I informed with a hearty chuckle. “Though, I would watch your back… she has a habit of doing what she likes,” I stated while stepping forward to follow the bird in her attempt to approach the mare.

With Phaedra’s consideration swayed by talk of her past and the idea of belonging to one herd or another, I watched Sabine with a fixed and curious stare. She had managed to find her seat at the center of our attention and her golden gaze was pressed longingly against the dapples of the mare’s back. Tsk, tsk, I thought to myself. Of course I would be forced to tend to a companion with so little personal courtesy for others. My legs had gone stiff from imagining Phaedra’s reaction to the bird if she tried to climb her as she had done to me so many times before... I could only warn the Zephyr away from such ideas in hopes that she would return to my side, an obedient child.

But Ciceron’s sentiments all but ripped me from my attempts to discipline the little Roc bird (I guess you could say it was his kindness that truly stirred my consideration). Yes, I’d once been as just and righteous as he… but I’d also seen what it did for a brute (or really how little it did). I’d had a lover taken from my arms and murdered because of my kindness. I’d garnered the hatred of my daughter because of my kindness. I’d been taken for granted because of that kindness… What else would I lose if I decided to again turn my belly up in submission? “You wouldn’t be the first to experience a life so utterly foreign that it caused your heart to flutter. I’ve been in your shoes after all…” I answered in response to Phaedra’s admission of living solely with her immediate family. “But time can change everything and something you once thought odd might as well become natural. You’d never be alone in your endeavors Phaedra. I would guide you if you asked and I know that the family I come from would offer you the same. There’s a lot more to the “herd life” than you might imagine and our protection, our confidence, and our support would never leave you in the shadows of doubt.

Image Credits

@[Phaedraa] @[Ciceron] -- SO SORRY ABOUT THE WAIT