the Rift

[OPEN] There's a rupture to the structure, of this house that we built

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi
d'Artagnan the Nightshade

"I hate the beach" he complained under a tree on the border of the sandy expanse before him, to no one in particular. Why was he here? Aramis had expressed the need to hunt and, bored, the Nightshade had followed him and lost him at the same time. Perhaps if he had been paying more attention then this would never have happened, alas, the day he paid attention for longer than a minute would be the day he died from exhaustion. So he rested one foot under the shade of a tree, enjoying the colder wind that whipped up from the sea air, but still displaying his usual disgruntled face. Though, for quite a while, he stared across to the horizon where it met the unruly water and wondered what else was out there. Was it better than here? He wished that the day he had found Kou lying still at his feet was all but a bad dream or an illusion conjured by some narcissist magician who felt like having fun. That Kou was still alive, somewhere across the sea and, for a moment, the world was right again. It was easier to breathe, easier to think and easier to be at peace. It was a moment, a beautiful fleeting moment created by his imagination that disappeared as soon as it had appeared. One day, he would cross that illustriously dark ocean of death and find her again, in peace, at the other side.

The pitter-patter of paws against the sand brought him back to the present and his sullen mismatched gaze fell on Aramis in all its grumpy glory. "Where did you go?" He complained greatly. "Hunting. It’s not my fault you got lost" the hellion shrugged, carrying an unlucky hare in his mouth. "You know I don’t like the beach" he complained even more looking at the sand in his hooves with an irritable look. "Why? What has the beach done to you?" Aramis was genuinely curious as to why his friend loathed the place so much.

Caught off guard, d’Artagnan gruffly pondered the question, trying to find an adequate answer for his grumpiness before blurting out his thoughts. "Because" he faltered a moment with a grim line set to his lips before continuing "it’s wet and sandy" he finished. The hellhound’s eyes bored into the Doctor with a look that was mixed between mock astonishment and amusement. "Wow, never knew that" he sarcastically replied before tearing apart his dinner.

At a loss for words, the Nightshade scowled back into the horizon, refusing to acknowledge the hound out of moodiness.

@[Mauja]
Credits: Image by Tamme

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
Mauja & d'Artagnan,
I’m blinded at heart but you wake me up from the snow where I was born
The World's Edge offered an excellent view of the ocean, and an excellent view of the beach to the south.

That, my friends, is the reason Mauja's heart nearly stopped in his chest today as he very nearly toppled himself off the edge in delighted surprise.

Large, frosted hooves stomped down so hard on the edge that a few pale chunks came loose, falling down the long, long way to the ocean. The low roar of waves swallowed the noise of their passing, and Mauja remained balancing on the edge, pale blue eyes budging out of his skull as a million things exploded in his heart (yeah, that thing—his fucking heart).

Because—because—there, a blot on the horizon, a dark, rugged creature running over a beach so pale it looked like snow—and the white owl fell like a whirlwind from the sky, a most uncharacteristic cry soaring out of her beak—

like the fuck am I doing this stop being so damn happy was the extent of her thoughts—

—and the rugged shape with a hare in its mouth, moving towards a set point that nearly had Mauja falling off again, came into clear, unquestioning focus.

Aramis.

And where Aramis was.. d'Artagnan would be.

And that was enough to shatter his fragile sanity and burst his head with a million of pale, light colors, heart stampeding in his chest (because he tried to live honestly now). Reeling, Mauja threw himself backwards, punching dents in the snow as he careened into the trees with little regard for his own safety—because there was just this one thing going over and over in his mind, and that was the red bay's name, and whatever importance he held—something attached to his heart, deep and profound, and it just couldn't wait because what if he lost Aramis—

What if, what if, what fucking if, and in his blind rush he jumped the wall at a too narrow place, banging a piece of it loose and leaving a nice, crimson streak over his left shoulder.

Whatever.

It just meant that the next time he had to dash out in that particular place, there'd be enough space for him.

And then he was on the beach, nearly stumbling for the fifty-eighth time (snow's a treacherous footing, right?) because suddenly the traction changed—but he caught his balance and forged on, a streak of light charging across the beach.

Lonely as a seagull, but just as fucking stubborn.

Sand and slush sprayed behind him, legs eating up the distance at a thunderous pace, and he was definitely riding some kind of exhilarated adrenaline high—

But he didn't care.

He didn't care because he was going to see d'Artagnan.

Because d'Artagnan was on this fucking beach, right now, here somewhere, and by everything it had been too long and he'd neglected him for too long because his life was still this tangled-up mess and he never realized how fast time passed and fucking everything but that was what the future was for, right? Making things right?

He nearly fell again when he caught sight of the familiar cherry bay standing beneath a tree, the dog gorging at his feet (as usual), but Irma had taken off, grumpy at having been dragged into Mauja's wild emotion ride—but he didn't care about that either.

Some wordless yell tore itself from his throat and heaving lungs as he dug in even harder, determined that every second spent at a distance was one second way too damn many, and if he could short it by just, say, three seconds that was a helluva lot better than not showing that he fucking meant this.

Sunlight poured onto him, struck his pale pelt alight, and glittered in whatever he kicked up as he charged—pure exhilaration and delight blazing out of his eyes.

And then—when you're close—it's like fuckfuckfuckfuck

—because he was coming in like a derailing freight train, with wayyy too much speed to stop.

So, he just hoped to whatever fucking powers that be that the dog scrambled, and he tried to dig his feet in and slide, and y'know, after a fashion it kind of worked, but when impact seemed inevitable—unless d'Artagnan bounced better than a rabbit—he sort of yelped and closed his eyes, waiting for the crash between them.

He didn't care about that, either. He just wanted the flailing-and-falling to get over and done with so he could bounce about d'Artagnan like an over-excited puppy and, I don't fucking know, man, lick his face and hold him and never let him go—

—you know, the usual bro-hug moment. Cough.

angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

A scent crossed the hound’s nose, a familiar scent at that, it dredged up thoughts of mismatched owls and black snow on a white canvas. It brought with it an amused smile to the lips of Aramis who pondered thoughts of Mauja and his two feathered sentinels "I think I’ve caught something else too" he mumbled to his overly moody friend. The red stallion snaked his lips into a grimace "a sense of humour?" he brooded as his tongue snapped a low swipe in response with ‘grump’ written all over his merlot face. It was probably some jibe at him anyway. The hellion hounds gaze bored into his friend with cold calculation as he summarized how easily he could slit his throat from chin to chest and decided it would be too quick to be even enjoyable. "I couldn’t beat your stellar one" the hound sarcastically replied back and, before his irritable Doctor could say something else, he said the name "Mauja" to him and the shade’s expression noticeably changed. He frowned and smiled, looked baffled and humorous before finally he looked questionably at the horizon when the faint sound of thundering hooves could be heard.

It was him! Spots and everything! All they needed now was the world in slow motion with Chariots of Fire playing in the background and their romantic reunion would be perfect.

"That bastard" d’Artagnan laughed with affection.

It wasn’t often they met these days, the Nightsade had stopped looking for him a few years ago and their meetings became scarce, often wrought in bitter, depressed sighs. Yet, the big oaf bounded towards him like he was some long lost lover back from the dead and the Doctor couldn’t help but laugh in great amusement. "Hey Mauja" he called to his friend, stepping away from the tree. By now, Aramis was becoming quite concerned at the speed of ‘ol feather legs and, with great urgency, he shot to his feet as the Frostheart got closer. "Hey… Mauja" d'Art raised his voice with worry now lacing it's tone as concern for his own wellbeing went up in the face of this stampeding oaf.

He got closer… and closer… and closer.

Aramis scrambled out of the way; flicking his tail beneath himself in fear it might get trod on and crushed. "STOP YOU TIT!" the red bay finally shouted as he realised he hadn’t enough time to move and his body tensed into a bracing position. "Shit" was the only other curse he managed before the impact took his breath.

By the unholy Gods!

The shade coughed and stumbled backwards before landing in a sitting position with half his mane over his unimpressed face. He sat there for some time; burning his surly gaze into this oversized jerk he called friend and grumbling incoherently under his breath. Aramis stood a fair way away, bewildered and trying to catch the breath that had escaped him.

Slowly and with deliberate movement, the Doctor got to his feet with his eyes not leaving the scatter brained stallion before him. "I thought I was the mad one" d’Artagnan finally proclaimed, shaking the disgusting sand from his crimson body.

lololol ahh the image in my head xD all I could think of at first was that Chariots of Fire song of Mauja in slow motion running towards him.

filled with rage

Ascended Helovian

but somewhere here in between the city walls of dyin' dreams
"Hey Mauja!" ... "Hey… Mauja." ...

Can't stop, won't stop—

"STOP YOU TIT!"

And d'Artagnan assumed a defense position that reminded Mauja a bit too much of a comical caricature of the bay trying to pass something recalcitrant out of his ass—"Shit," was the Doctor's comment and somewhere in the mess of impact, friction and sand, Mauja found it incredibly humorous. The darkness in him let go, exploded into laughter even as the world did a sickening spin around its own axis, and when it stopped everything had rotated 90 degrees.

Or maybe that was just because he was lying flat on his side in the sand. It made for a new perspective.

The laughter faded into a most uncharacteristic giggle, threatening to die out but renewed every second because while the impact (and probably some half-assed, subconscious attempt to save them from dying) had flung Mauja down, it had put the Doctor on his sorry red ass.

He was sitting.

On his ass.

In the sand.

Fucking sitting.

And glaring in a way that would've made Mauja's skin crawl if he hadn't been so madly in love with the cherry bay, as if he could melt Mauja's intestines and brain and watch it dribble out through his ears—

And the way he got up, he didn't need words, and Mauja's mirth finally tapered off into a content sigh. For a moment, he was unaware of the light blazing out of his eyes as he laid there in the sand. "I thought I was the mad one." But it felt like, like, not a peace offering because it wasn't d'Artagna's fault, but more like, confirmation that it was okay—that it was cool. That it was fine. That it was fine that Mauja had shown up out of nowhere and rammed him and planted his sorry butt in the scratchy sand.

Mauja's gaze grew softer, dark lips curling into a small, fond smile. "All hail d'Artagnan, Lord of the Madlands," he said, voice oddly quiet, somehow at odds with the charge from before—but he couldn't explain it, it was just.. just.. when the exhilaration died down it left this odd, content warmth simmering through his veins, and somehow it defied all things loud and boisterous.

The smile grew into a crooked, wicked grin. "You should've seen the look on your face."
man, I ain't changed, but I know I ain't the same

He listened to the idiot laugh… and laugh… and giggle. d’Artagnan let his friend savour his moment of glee as he tittered through fits of scary giggles that made the Nightshade’s lips curl. When finally he finished the bay slowly shook his head in remorse “I hate you” he threw the words in disgust at the disgrace that lined the sandy floor, knowing his words held no real meaning, but he felt like saying it anyway. In fact, it was more of a roundabout way of saying ’I love you’ in d’Artagnan tongue. For some reason, the Nightshade always found putting passion into insults easier than expressing affection, which often resulted in moments when the more appropriate proclamation of ’I love you’ often came out as ’fuck you’ instead; but always it was spoken with the highest sincerity, of that, there was no doubt. It was also the leading cause of his many and various conflicts.

However, we’re drifting off course, back to the muppet on the floor.

“Hmmmm grovel a bit more and I might forgive you” he replied after Mauja had unanimously crowned him Lord of the crazies. Though the amused smile that had just formed on his sooty lips fell dramatically at the Frostheart’s final comment. 

Indeed. 

“Although then again… Aramis!” he called to the hound, who was finally making his way back over to the two after running away from the rampaging and the trampling. “What do you think? If we crack his head open now do you suppose there’d be a brain to procure or just thin air.” He raised his brows to his friend before finally he began to laugh. 

He hadn’t laughed in so long, it rattled through his body and lit up his face with mirth.

The red let it run its course before finally it stopped and his eyes narrowed at Mauja as he deliberately surveyed his spotted body. “Have you gained weight?” he tried to find a white lobe to whisper his prying question.

When the sand had settled and the world began to turn normally once again, the once Doctor began to contemplate his friend and their spontaneous beach date. “What have you been up to, other than trying to kill me?” He asked, not really knowing what to expect in answer. This was Mauja after all, every time the red bay came across him there was some new twist to his convoluted life that often left him wondering what had happened to them since the days they ruled the cliff top.

filled with rage

Ascended Helovian

“I hate you.”

What the fuck is wrong with me?

Because those words, the heat behind them, the way they were flung at him—it made his heart soar with nameless joy, blazing light and angel choruses and all. It was just so light he felt like he could've floated off the ground and zoomed off like a firefly, all because his oldest, bestest (don't question it, it's a word, dammit) friend said I hate you. In protest, Mauja let his shoulders dig into the sand, and heaved himself onto his back, displaying his wide chest to his friend and pawing playfully at the air with one large hoof. No you don't, he thought, but the words—the meaning of the words—got stuck in his throat.

So, he just laid there like an idiot on his back, precariously keeping his balance for half a second longer before toppling back onto his side. He wasn't sure why, but it felt.. it felt good to lie in the sand. It would be a bitch and a half to get out of his fur later, but right now, it was oddly pleasant, shaping itself around his body, but most of all—most of all, it was the fact that he could lie completely vulnerable in the company of another .. and yet feel safer than he ever had before.

Maybe, finally, after all these years, some of his paranoia was losing its hold.

“If we crack his head open now do you suppose there’d be a brain to procure or just thin air.” And it was followed by a laugh he had heard so many times before, a laugh that sounded like life and all things dark-light in the world, such a stark contrast to the shattered man who had lost his lover. "Thin air," he told the laughing Doctor flippantly, mostly to cover up the stumble in his heart, the dark-edged dagger that had nicked him. Popped his joy like a balloon, so to speak.

We've both lost much, haven't we?

But what I haven't lost—

—is you.

“Have you gained weight?” The Doctor's voice was a whisper in his ear, a breath tickling the sensitive skin and hairs of his lobe, sending a shiver running through him. "Are you calling me fat?" he shot back, mock darkness blazing in his eyes.

"Because if you are..." And his voice trailed off ominously, his white tail lashing against the ground once. ".. you're totally right."

But d'Artagnan was approaching more serious questions, and Mauja, halfway to rising, sank back down on his ass, forehooves still planted in the sand. What had he been up to? When had he last seen his red friend? When he'd been told of Kou's death? And what had happened since? Psyche had died. He'd met Kahlua. He capered around with the demi-god child of Spark. He accidentally claimed the Edge together with a black buffoon he'd rather kick off the edge itself. "Darling," he began, something absent-minded in his gaze as he thought of how to explain, "You insult me by insinuating I ever do anything but attempt to kill you."

He was silent for a second. Opened his mouth. Closed it again. Repeated the fish-exercise for a few seconds, before finally spitting out some words. "Psyche's dead. I, uh—I got captured by Kahlua from the Edge, because she thought I had done it, but I ended up joining the herd instead.. sort of. And then I helped Phi invade the Falls. And then, uhh.. And then they somehow decided it was a good idea to crown me King of the Edge again. So.. yeah. That's that." His gaze had fallen to the sandy floor in shame; why haven't you gone north, why haven't you tried to find d'Art sooner, why have you kept to your sodden end of the world and not brought your best friend into the fold?

"And you?" he asked softly.

He rolled. He fucking rolled in the disgusting shit.

d’Artagnan watched him with clear disgust lining every part of his face whilst he stepped back from spotty clod with distinct distaste. Perhaps he’d wanted to be a palomino all this time. The idiot rolled back onto his side in comical fashion that drew a short humoured grunt from the Nightshade, who finally shook his head in mourning. “Ugh look it’s all stuck to you” he shivered, wrinkling his lips into a grimace, still wondering why on earth this thing on the floor was his greatest friend. Even Mauja himself confirmed his lack of brain, concluding that thin air was indeed all that was between his ears and d’Artagnan nodded in thoughtful agreement. His mismatched eyes watched the spotty fruitcake with mirth, witling down his description of his best friend into a simple précis: a sandy jerk with weight issues and a thick skull.

Poor guy.

“Brainless and overweight…” the shade paused and raised a brow “you really let yourself go huh” he commented sympathetically. He then paused again, feeling laughter brewing in his gut and finally it spewed out of his mouth. Ah, it felt good to laugh properly again! He wasn’t sure there was many if any at all that he could laugh like this with and, for that, the red was grateful for Mauja. Even if he was covered in horrible, sticky sand that surely he would be tasting for days. Sand had a habit of going everywhere without prior knowledge, even when you didn’t roll in it.

The wind blew and the comical turned to serious.

He watched his friend sink back to the floor and he held his breath for what might be an onslaught of life disasters. Such always seemed to be the way with Mauja. Though the humour sank back into his lips at the first comment and the shade rolled his eyes. “Who are you calling Darling, just look at the state of you” he said, showing mock disgust, like he’d ever be so close to such a dunce.

Lies.

There was another pause, as Mauja seemed to gather his thoughts, looking like a fish out of the ocean, before finally he seemed to get what he wanted out into the open.  

Psyche died? Another of the old guard to disappear from the world along with Kou, the world was moving on in a cruel fashion. Not that he was ever that close to Psyche, but he liked her more than Illynx the Interior Designer. Yet, it wasn’t as surprising as Mauja being crowned again. The red’s face went from a mixture of bewilderment to a frown and back to thought. “So you were part of that shambles battle then” he grunted, remembering the upstart Leaders of the Basin trying to preach glory to them. “Like you can just run away from the Moon” he said, irony piercing through his voice as he remembered that one night many seasons ago.

“King Mauja then” he began, not really sure how about his feelings on it. There was nostalgia from days long gone, but there was also a sense of doubt. Mauja had once been the King of Unicorns, dethroned and exiled to the mountains. Eventually he had left them to wander his own path and now he was here, telling d’Artagnan that he had his crown back. Yet, he had never come back for the kin who had served him in the Edge. “Do you want to be King?” the shade asked first “you don’t sound convinced,” he snorted, not one to beat around the bushes.

After a pause he asked another question “what is the Worlds Edge like now?” it was surely not like that of old.

”And you?”

d’Artagnan thought about his dismal state of affairs and shrugged, sighing a long tired sigh. “Surviving” he said in a puff “I’m no longer a Mender, but the Basin’s General. A change made by its new three leads he didn’t bother hiding his distaste. “I like the title, but less the herd… It’s not the same. Not anymore.” Finally, sadness found its way into his voice as his gaze dropped to the floor; “I have no purpose in this land, not like I once did” he spat.

Lastly, he raised his head and sighed again at Mauja “without Kou, there’s nothing here for me” he finished. It was unlike d'Artagnan to be so down, but his situation was one he had never dreamed of being in.

filled with rage

Ascended Helovian

Who had he known back in the day, when he had first come to this dismal corner of the world?

d'Artagnan. Psyche. Prometheus. Lotus. Kou.

Psyche was dead. Prometheus was gone; besides, the undead child had not been very impressed with Mauja the last time they had met (the next time, I won't apologize—). Lotus—gods knew where she were, and wherever that was, good riddance. Kou was dead.

But d'Artagnan was still there, after all these years, like nothing but wind and a couple of hours sleep had passed between them. Like it had been yesterday they had gone to the Veins to see Father Earth, like it had been just last week they'd gotten high in his cave in the Basin, and—and like it had just been hours since they'd met in the frozen north, and spoken of Kou's death. Mauja swallowed. Of everything that had once been, of the greatness that once had been the Plague, d'Artagnan was the only thing he had left.

“Ugh look it’s all stuck to you,” the Red said in disgust, watching Mauja as if he were the filth of the sand itself. The same softness that scared the living shit out of him curved his lips, danced in his eyes, capered around the edge of every word as he shot back, "I'd feel better if you were stuck to me too," and he nearly swallowed his own tongue in surprise; the way he recoiled nearly visible as his heart skipped a beat and doubt—fear—flung the blinds down over his blue eyes.

Shit shit shit shit—

There had always been something between them, a playful sense of familiarity, a mocking kind of jest sprung from something warm—the way brothers (or lovers) bickered, and he—he—well fuck, it was just that, that.. It never used to be so much, and no, he didn't think d'Artagnan would suddenly stab him through the heart, but he was afraid all the same—

afraid of losing him

—and that was why he shied away from his own flirtatious nature. Because the last thing he wanted, the last thing he needed, was d'Artagnan leaving him after all these years.

But d'Artagnan just said he was overweight and brainless and laughed in a way that could bring down mountains. Mauja just sat there a moment longer, ass planted in the sand and bracing against his forelegs, before the sound found its way through the thick wall of his uncertainty and fear, and then he was laughing too—at himself, at the world, at the Doctor, with the Doctor... And for a moment, everything was right—and not just right, but alright. Like, the sun and the slush and the sea and his heart—it was all right. It was going to be alright.

Even if the world was a shitty, gritty, sandy place, it was going to be fine—even when their words and voices took darker turns, touched upon mortality and the brevity of life, things were going to be fine.

Because he had d'Artagnan, and d'Artagnan had him.

And if that wasn't enough... gods help them.

"Queen Mauja," he said with a short laugh, a sound that somehow conveyed the bitterness of his situation—the brittle kind of sound one makes to cover up all the flaws, the kind that tricks every stranger in the room but not a single friend. As the questions were turned back on him, he sighed, slowly.

Was he happy at the Edge? Sort of; it took his mind off things. Was he happier than he had been as an Outcast? Maybe. Was he happy, in general?

No.

"No," he finally said, something wounded crawling at the bottom of his voice—writhing at the floor of his soul. "I didn't mean to—I didn't want to, but... It's better than what I had. What I was." Vagabond and fallen. "But it's not entirely on my terms anymore. I.. I've changed, d'Artagnan—" And his ears pinned back in uncertainty, spitting out confession after confession there in the sand (because his body had already screamed, 'I love you'). "I don't believe anymore—in us—in that a horn makes us better—" The words were coming out too fast, like he had to get it out now or he would never dare, a jumbled mess spilling out. "I lead with Torleik and, well—I don't like him but we're the same in that sense, I suppose. It's... I don't know, d'Art. I don't know what I'm doing, or where I'm going, or why I wake up in the mornings. I just exist and I'm leading a herd and I don't even fucking know why." His voice had turned into a bitter, barking bite, acid and poison dripping from the words as it ended in a snarl. Then, "Sorry," he muttered, shutting up about his own life. It wasn't like he had had any kind of point to make, anyway—nothing but the need to spit his frustrations out and that hadn't done him much good either.

So he let d'Artagnan fill the silence he created, listening to a tale that seemed as forlorn and morose as his own. But d'Artagnan, not a healer anymore? How was that even possible? While he hardly was a bad fighter he'd never struck Mauja as a soldier—so what were they doing, putting him in that position? By the sound of it, d'Artagnan hadn't approved either, and who even led the Basin these days?

Fuck—here he was, diplomatic lead of the Edge, and he didn't even know who ruled which herd. Fantastic.

But then, everything grew dark. Cold. Still. Afraid, almost, and hurt; his heart's beat was uneven, jagged, a stampede—his breath almost nonexistent.

“Without Kou, there’s nothing here for me.”

He couldn't remember the last time he had felt like it—cold and clammy, heart racing, fired up with adrenaline but frigid like death itself within.

No—

It felt like everything he had been afraid of—of this last, whole piece of his heart slipping away. Like dropping glass onto rocks.

I can't lose you—

The beach seemed to buck beneath his ass, threatening to throw him off; darkness crept in at the edges of his vision. I can't—

And it hurt, too, like having his heart scraped against gravel, or rolled on broken glass, or, or, anything, and when he spoke again, his voice was small, so tentative, barely a sound at all there by the ocean but somehow carrying the entire weight of his fragile, falling psyche: "Me?"

d’Artagnan frowned and sighed, then frowned again and sighed once more.

What were they, 2 year olds? ”Yes” the shade found himself thinking, answering his own questions as usual, because being a mere two years sounded better than wallowing in self pity with 12 under his belt. He watched Mauja thinking ”lets go back”, to when the world was more exciting and the past less haunting. They could rule the land from north to south to east to west, eat weird fodder and merrily talk bollocks under the moon until daytime came and the ritual would begin again. Rule and get high, why not? Whilst d’Artagnan had known the frosty King for a long time he still found himself wishing he had known him earlier, what could they have done had fate matched them sooner rather than later? What would they have become instead? Or were their stories, that were so intertwined, destined for the same ending no matter where it began. If only he was two, alas! He was ten years too old, ten years too scarred and ten years closer to the edge of oblivion. Kou had already walked off that cliff and left him dithering next to it.

His mind snapped back to the present and he gave Mauja a look of mock surprise that quickly turned into something resembling mischief and his sooty lips curled into an insinuating half smile "are you trying to seduce me?" Indeed what was this friendship? Were they lovers in denial? "should I start paying you nightly visits?" the shade was unsure if that was doubt he saw in the eyes of his friend, so he shrugged and gave him a disgusted look "I’m not sticking to you with all that shit also stuck there" he motioned to Mauja and the sand in his vicinity.

The General withdrew into his mind during the moment of silence, wondering for the first time if Mauja was, or had ever been, frightened of him. Perhaps. The spotty dunce was that hard to read d’Artagnan would never be sure unless he asked his friend outright, even then, he might not get the honest answer.

He snapped back to the present when he was corrected by his royal highness and a guffaw left the reds mouth "Queen? Did you misplace your crown jewels by any chance your majesty" he almost asked if the Queen wanted help finding them but stopped short wondering if that was a little bit too far with the innuendo. Best to not milk it too much.

The conversation turned back to the serious matters then and d’Artagnan listened carefully to what his friend had to say. Mauja always had a series of problems; there was never just one. He listened to the way his friend rejected his title and yet approved of it. "Don’t you think you should know why you lead a herd? How can you expect to know the minds of those who follow you if you don’t even know your own" the shade asked, prodding in curiosity "if you get invaded will your answer be the same? ’I don't know’. Will you hesitate with their lives?” He shook his head gently. "I don’t think you just exist. There was a time when you introduced me to a snow-white mare and made her my Nurse. There was a time when you lost a battle, when you left to be on your own and now you lead once again. That is not the life of someone who just exists. You arrogant ass" he said the last insulting line with a note of affection that only d’Artagnan could deliver "all that happens because you don’t just exist. Your decisions make you more than that. You might not know why, that I can believe, but don’t discredit yourself" he said with a final note before his expression turned into something more like a grimace.

"So stop wallowing or find something to actually wallow about, you backstabbing hornless lover" he proclaimed with an almighty sigh, flippantly throwing more insults with not a single ounce of feeling. "I’m not sure I can be like you. I have… Problems. Though I’ve been confused as of late" he said, actually pondering the matter "I can’t decide whether it's the absence of a horn that makes me want to murder others or whether I just want to kill things" he said with a complete matter-of-fact straight face. "I’m leaning towards the latter" he said after a moment of thought.

There was a pause until Mauja spoke again and the red snorted, searching for those familiar icy blue eyes "you? Really?" The playfulness edged back into his voice "and if I was to throw everything away and profess my undying loyalty to you forever" he said, edging closer and closer to Mauja "what will you do for me?" He asked, attempting to lean in closer to his friend.

Return to the Edge? The possibility was entertaining, but the Nightshade was a grouch and wouldn’t go without at least an invitation.

filled with rage

Ascended Helovian

"Are you trying to seduce me?"

Yes.

"Should I start paying you nightly visits?"

Yes.

"I’m not sticking to you with all that shit also stuck there."

Then we should take a bath together.

But he didn't say it. d'Artagnan played along, and Mauja smirked—his heart thundering in near-terror and elation, a powerful, intoxicating mixture. It threatened to shred his nerves, to crack open his mind and spill his thoughts like blood on the sand—

In the end, he didn't say it, because he had already said enough. If they had the time, they could sit on the beach a whole night and trade insults and innuendos, and gods how part of him wanted that—just him and d'Artagnan, and their barbed words and their warm breaths, and whatever weird thing the Doctor could find for them to eat, and.. just, the beauty of the world, the proximity to another (to him—), with nothing but the whisper of the ocean and .. icy, sleety spring night winds?

Maybe it was better saved for the long, mild nights of summer, when the sky wasn't quite so dark and the breeze just a cool and silent thing. Part of him could see it—him and d'Artagnan, the owls and the hound, the dark sky studded with stars, maybe a bird of fire in the smallest hours for lazy warmth and light...

Mauja was a hopeless romantic; he loved and loved and loved until he'd bled himself dry, and still he kept on loving, as whimsical as the wind, as deep as the oceans. He loved more than a single being. He loved much, but he lost—as much as he made himself lose, he also lost. And in that sense, he feared the day in which a single being would realize what he gave and return it.

"Queen? Did you misplace your crown jewels by any chance your majesty?" He snorted. But what else had he expected? Magical and immediate understanding of the complex inner workings that drove him towards identifying with the female title? It had started as a joke of sorts, after all, between him and Torleik (so odd to think, a joke of sorts between them, as much vying for power as mocking the other). Torleik had said Mauja would be Queen—and Mauja had simply.. gone with it. Tried to take it from Torleik and own it.

And to his surprise, it had felt good.

"They were still there last time I looked," he responded tartly. What was wrong with him tonight? He had had a thousand other words upon his tongue, ranging from serious to .. well, things that were terribly inappropriate. It was nearly frightening, a tingle going through his gut, a shiver across his skin, a fervent light in his eyes—what are you doing to me?

And just as easily as Mauja wanted to be able to sum his life up with I just exist d'Artagnan rejected it. At least the Doctor hadn't upped and left him on the spot for daring to not hate hornless anymore, but.. after all that he had felt—all that he had been through—how could he? After all he had felt for Ophelia? After the kindness Kahlua had shown him? After having, so easily, melded against her side, and stood so close to her?

But where is she now? It hurt a little, his heart gasping for a breath that wouldn't be found, but what she now did to him.. he had probably done a thousand times to her—and others.

(See now what I mean, with how he loves, and loves, and loves?)

"Of course it's the latter," he said teasingly, as much for believing it as for wishing it to be true. If d'Artagnan could not live with hornless .. he could not live with Mauja .. and if Kahlua ever returned, could not see him stand next to Kahlua. His 'brows drew together and his face fell momentarily, until the Red scooped up all of his fear, all of his vulnerability, his insecurities and his glass soul, and dumped it back into the ocean of playfulness. Because how else could they ever interact? How could d'Artagnan somehow face all the darkness in Mauja, if he was broken too? Neither of them were strong enough—maybe not even together, and part of him wanted to look aside, mumble that it wasn't a joke, wasn't something to jest about, but.. in the end, he just kept looking at the cherry bay, eyes gentle as they leaned closer. Conspiracies. The corner of his mouth tugged into a half-smile as he sat there in the sand.

"Everything," he whispered dramatically, knowing it to be an exaggeration of the truth—and yet, it still was the truth.

For those he had left to love, Mauja would set the world on fire if he had to.