World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
   ranjiri</style>
  it only hurts when i'm breathing
my heart only hurts when its beating
my dreams only die when i'm dreaming
</style>

Some days were better than others, some days were worse. I supposed it was one of my worse days and it drove me away from the Throat for a while. I needed to just be by myself for a while and being at home wasn't exactly conducive to that. There were so many horses living in the Throat, it was almost mind blowing. I had no particular destination in mind, I was just flying. I was enjoying the way the wind felt in my hair, the way it moved against my feathers, the absolute quiet. It was strange how I'd gone from wanting so many distractions to keep thoughts of my dad away to just wanting to be alone. I didn't understand it and I'd given up on trying.

The land below me stretched out for as far as I could see. The sun was beginning to set and I knew that I would have to turn around sooner rather than later and begin my flight back to the Throat. I wasn't too keen on the idea of spending the night somewhere I didn't know, without any way to keep warm. I was so used to it being hot because of living in the Throat that I was unprepared for the chill that came with Frostfall.

I spotted a grove below me and, among the trees, I could see a pool of water. So I began to circle, gradually getting lower and lower until my hooves touched the ground. I trotted forward with the momentum of my landing and I tucked my wings against my sides. It was certainly warmer down there among the trees than it was in the air, but it would take far too long to get back to the Throat just by walking. As I neared the water I slowed then stopped completely. I took a moment to glance around at the willow trees then lowered my head to drink.

"."

@[Rhoa]

Credits

aud pixel!

Rhoa Posts: 175
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Colt :: Pegasus :: 17hh :: 3 HP: 65 | Buff: ENDURE
Odd
<style type="text/css">
.titles { width: 320px; line-height: 56%; font-family: rochester; font-size: 70px; text-align: center; color: #FE7597; text-transform: lowercase; border-bottom: 1px dotted #83E1CD; padding-bottom: 14px; position: relative; z-index: 2; margin-bottom: 10px; text-shadow: 1px 1px #F9FFDF, 2px 2px #FCCFCC; padding-top: 6px; }
#faclaim { width: 320px; height: 320px; position: relative; overflow: hidden; margin-top: 10px; }
.fcl { float: left; }
.fcl label { display: block; width: 160px; height: 160px; position: relative; transition: all 1s ease-in-out; -moz-transition: all 1s ease-in-out; -webkit-transition: all 1s ease-in-out; -ms-transition: all 1s ease-in-out; -o-transition: all 1s ease-in-out; }
.fcl input[type=checkbox] { display: none; }
.fcb { position: absolute; width: 148px; height: 154px; left: 0; top: 0px; background-color: #fff; z-index: -1; transition: all 1s ease-in-out; -moz-transition: all 1s ease-in-out; -webkit-transition: all 1s ease-in-out; -ms-transition: all 1s ease-in-out; -o-transition: all 1s ease-in-out; -webkit-transform: scale(0); -moz-transform: scale(0); -o-transform: scale(0); overflow: auto; text-align: center; font-family: arial; font-size: 10px; line-height: 114%; padding: 6px 2px 0px 0px; } .fcb::-webkit-scrollbar { width: 4px; }
.fcb label { position: absolute; top: -1px; left: 1px; font-family: calibri; font-size: 8px; text-transform: uppercase; width: 4px; height: 4px; color: #000; text-align: center; background: transparent; z-index: 8; }
.fcl input[type=checkbox]:checked ~ label ~ .fcb { z-index: 5; opacity: 1; height: 154px; width: 158px; background-color: #fff; -webkit-transform: scale(1); -moz-transform: scale(1); -o-transform: scale(1); }
.bluie { width: 160px; height: 110px; text-align: center; line-height: 100%; font-family: rochester; font-size: 48px; color: #83E1CD; text-shadow: 1px 1px #F9FFDF, 2px 2px #C8FADB; text-transform: lowercase; background: #fff; padding-top: 50px; }
.pinkie { width: 160px; height: 110px; text-align: center; line-height: 100%; font-family: rochester; font-size: 48px; color: #ffffff; text-shadow: 1px 1px #F9FFDF, 2px 2px #FCCFCC; text-transform: lowercase; background: #fff; padding-top: 50px; }
</style>
Rhoa

I don't know if I've ever been here before ... If I have, its certainly been a while. To be honest, I sort of have avoided this place. It's where...
well, you know. It's where those types of things happen, and frankly I have no place being here. Those types of things (the looks, smiles, gestures) don't happen to me. Or, maybe it's that I don't happen to them. I can't really say. All I know is that I feel wildly out of place.

Still, I walk with a relatively unburdened gate through the willows which are quickly losing their leaves. Snow lines their boughs and filters through to the ground. I don't mind it that much - the snow that is - the chill helps to bite through some of the more depressing thoughts that I've experienced as of late. I don't mean to take pity on myself, I really don't. It just seems to ... to loom, if that makes any sense. Like a cloud, or a weight. It's always there, always reminding me of the absences in my life - of Mother who seems to have vanished again, of Ivezho who is too busy for me - and of my newest siblings, Aelin and Hawke, who have each other. Who in the world looks for me, notices my absence?

No-one.

The cold helps to keep those thoughts away - because as the chill burns into my bones, all I can think of is myself and keeping warm. It is that preservation that keeps me going.

Lost in my thoughts, I stumble upon Ranjiri as if by accident. Had I been paying any sort of attention her scent and her appearance would have struck me much sooner than they did. Her dark body - in such contrast to the pale white the world had become - shocked me out of my haze of thoughts. I pulled myself up, my embered-wings falling slightly from my sides - as I gently coughed to indicate my arrival.

"Hello Ranjiri - Father told me of your promotion. Congratulations." I try to keep my voice light and airy - the diplomatic lilt of a Prince. I know I should probably say something about the death of her Father but ... who can find the words? What words are there even? Perhaps, like me, she is here to let the winter winds brush away such thoughts.

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
   ranjiri</style>
</style>

I heard his cough and lifted my head from the small, frigid lake. Water dripped from my muzzle as I turned my head in his direction and my eyes widened. "Rhoa?" I was certain that it couldn't have been the little colt that I'd patrolled the Veins with on the ... the day I saw Hototo. The last time I saw my brother alive. Had that much time really passed? Had Rhoa grown up right there in the Throat without me noticing? The more the thoughts ran through my head the more I tried to convince myself that it was someone else and not the cute little foal that had looked ready to pass out before our patrol even started.

"Hello Ranjiri - Father told me of your promotion. Congratulations."

When he didn't correct me for saying Rhoa I began to accept that it was him. Then he spoke of my promotion, one that Gaucho had offered me on my patrol with him, and it ... I guess it kinda drove home the fact that it really was Rhoa. "Thank you." I murmured. "I hope I don't disappoint him... he seems to have some unfounded faith in me." I turned my body so that I could face Rhoa more fully and tilted my head. "You grew up..." I finally said. "Last time I saw you I didn't have to look up at you." Here, I offered a small smile and I tried my hardest to make it look genuine so I wouldn't pass off my own troubles on him.

"What are you doing this far out from the Throat?" Was my next question for the young prince. "Are you out on patrol?" Alone? I admit I didn't realize that the grove I had landed in for a drink of water was one of those places that couples went to ... to do things. I'm pretty sure that if I had known I would have assumed that he was there with someone and I would have been falling all over myself trying to get away.

"."

@[Rhoa]

Credits

aud pixel!

Odd
<style type="text/css">
.titles { width: 320px; line-height: 56%; font-family: rochester; font-size: 70px; text-align: center; color: #FE7597; text-transform: lowercase; border-bottom: 1px dotted #83E1CD; padding-bottom: 14px; position: relative; z-index: 2; margin-bottom: 10px; text-shadow: 1px 1px #F9FFDF, 2px 2px #FCCFCC; padding-top: 6px; }
#faclaim { width: 320px; height: 320px; position: relative; overflow: hidden; margin-top: 10px; }
.fcl label { display: block; width: 160px; height: 160px; position: relative; transition: all 1s ease-in-out; -moz-transition: all 1s ease-in-out; -webkit-transition: all 1s ease-in-out; -ms-transition: all 1s ease-in-out; -o-transition: all 1s ease-in-out; }
.fcb { position: absolute; width: 148px; height: 154px; left: 0; top: 0px; background-color: #fff; z-index: -1; transition: all 1s ease-in-out; -moz-transition: all 1s ease-in-out; -webkit-transition: all 1s ease-in-out; -ms-transition: all 1s ease-in-out; -o-transition: all 1s ease-in-out; -webkit-transform: scale(0); -moz-transform: scale(0); -o-transform: scale(0); overflow: auto; text-align: center; font-family: arial; font-size: 10px; line-height: 114%; padding: 6px 2px 0px 0px; } .fcb::-webkit-scrollbar { width: 4px; }
.fcb label { position: absolute; top: -1px; left: 1px; font-family: calibri; font-size: 8px; text-transform: uppercase; width: 4px; height: 4px; color: #000; text-align: center; background: transparent; z-index: 8; }
.fcl input[type=checkbox]:checked ~ label ~ .fcb { z-index: 5; opacity: 1; height: 154px; width: 158px; background-color: #fff; -webkit-transform: scale(1); -moz-transform: scale(1); -o-transform: scale(1); }
.bluie { width: 160px; height: 110px; text-align: center; line-height: 100%; font-family: rochester; font-size: 48px; color: #83E1CD; text-shadow: 1px 1px #F9FFDF, 2px 2px #C8FADB; text-transform: lowercase; background: #fff; padding-top: 50px; }
.pinkie { width: 160px; height: 110px; text-align: center; line-height: 100%; font-family: rochester; font-size: 48px; color: #ffffff; text-shadow: 1px 1px #F9FFDF, 2px 2px #FCCFCC; text-transform: lowercase; background: #fff; padding-top: 50px; }
</style>
Rhoa

The inflection in her voice as she says my name causes me to pause. Is she really so surprised to see me here? Perhaps she assumes I am here waiting for someone and that is the cause of her surprise. I know that I am young, but I have been told by more than just Mother that I have grown into a rather attractive stallion. I am not as hard or rugged as Father is, I have too much of Mother's softness for that, but I am lean and tall. I have been told I have kind eyes. I want to be aloof and arrogant at her surprise, but I'm not. If I heard I was here for that reason, I would be surprised to.

I nod and smile instead that is until...I hope I don't disappoint him... Ahh well. Fear of disappointing Father that is certainly an emotion I know well-- ...he seems to have some unfounded faith in me. I swallow hard and force an unconvincing smile. This is clearly not the time for me to be ruminating on my emotional issues, but nevertheless I feel jealousy and pangs of childhood regret rising high in my throat. Faith in everyone but me I think as I continue to nod and widen my forced smile. "He is rarely wrong." I conclude, trying to exhale my tattered feelings so this conversation might continue.

My darkish ears perk forward as Ranjiri mentions my height, and despite my attempts to be modest, I draw myself up slightly taller. There's no real suave way of acknowledging simultaneously that yes, I have grown without also acknowledging the age difference between us. Doing so would only make me feel like a child, and so I let my gray shoulders shrug as I chuckle slightly and nod.

"Oh no. I think i'm patrolling with my brother and Destry in the woods. But someone was just there, so we're holding off on our patrol." The words tumble off of my lips fairly easily, and for a moment by sea-green gaze flutters as I realize how easy it is to talk to Ranjiri. Why hadn't I noticed that before? It had been quite awkward our last patrol--

Our last patrol. Hototo

"Oh Ranjiri I didn't even think -- Hototo. I'm so sorry.." Now my words and cadence is foolish and flushed. I can hardly believe that I overlooked my father murdering her brother. No wonder she is surprised to see me - the son of the murderer of her brother. I swallow hard, my gaze searching hers.

And here I thought I was the one with emotional baggage.

ranjiri</style>
</style>

"He is rarely wrong."

I watched his face and I couldn't help but think that the smile I saw there was just as forced as my own was. "Rarely..." I said as I looked from him down to my hooves. My point was that there was a chance that Gaucho was wrong about me. There was a chance, a very high chance in my personal opinion, that the strength Gaucho claimed to see was something he fabricated himself, and that his faith in me was only because he knew my dad. It made me feel like I had a lot to live up to and the idea of it was daunting. I think my future intimidated me more than anything else in my life.

The rustling that came from Rhoa's movement made me lift my gaze and I found him standing there, making himself appear even taller. Wasn't he tall enough? The smile that crossed my face was a genuine one. I still found it hard to believe that he'd grown so much. I guess I would have noticed if I'd had another patrol with him, or if I hadn't been so focused on taking care of Ryuu (not that I regret that).

"Oh..." I say he says that he's patrolling the woods. "I'm supposed to patrol the fields with Bucephalus and ... Aelin, I think. I haven't met her yet." I really wasn't in the mood for a patrol, though. Not after last season. "I had to go to the caves on my last one. My partners never showed." And I'd been face to face with that golden unicorn that Gaucho didn't like from the Basin. Needless to say I wasn't too keen on my next assigned patrol, but I would still get it done.

"Oh Ranjiri I didn't even think -- Hototo. I'm so sorry.."

It ... it felt like the world came to a screeching halt. I was suddenly very aware of the frigid wind that bit at my skin, of the snow at my hooves that made my legs feel numb, of my own very painful heartbeat. The smile that had been on my face when Rhoa showed off his height and while we spoke of our patrols faded away and my expression turned bleak.

...it was so much easier to cope with loss when no one mentioned it.

"Its ... its okay." I forced the words out because I figured I needed to say something. "...I already gave your dad my forgiveness." But even though I forgave Gaucho it still felt like a knife twisted in my heart every time Hototo was brought up, whether it was someone talking about him or me thinking about him.

"."

@[Rhoa]

Credits

aud pixel!

Odd
<style type="text/css">
</style>
Rhoa

"Aelin is my baby sister" I said through a smile. I felt better knowing that she would be with Ranjiri, even if she was with Bucephalus. Something about him always rubbed me the wrong way ... but, as our former Chancellor and our now-sleuth, I kept my opinions firmly to myself. Still, I was happy to know Aelin wouldn't be left alone with him. As she mentions that her partner didn't show, I half-shrugged. As a Prince I should probably care more .. should report the information back to Father or Ampere but... I just don't care. Why do we even patrol? No one can even get to us now that we are an island, so what is the point of wandering Helovia? If there is a threat, why send teams of 3 to tackle it? Why not stay on our sands away from trouble? I merely shrug and nod understandingly rather than voicing any of these thoughts.

I bit my lip. I wanted to regret bringing Hototo up, but of course I couldn't do that. I owed her an apology - my condolences. I didn't have my brother murdered by someone I knew, but for a long time I thought Ivezho was dead. It felt like a knife right in my gut anytime I even saw burning embers, because it reminded me of him. I knew it couldn't be easy for Ranjiri, but I also knew that pretending nothing had happened wouldn't make it go away. "I know it isn't the same - but I thought my twin was dead for a while. My soul felt like it was freezing anyone even said his name, only to be replaced by a fire burning with the unfairness of it all. He's back home now, and I know Hototo isn't but ... " I trail off. Where was I going with this? I had started out meaning to be comforting, but somehow I ended with my brother is alive and yours isn't.

I sigh, closing my sea-green gaze for a moment to collect my thoughts. I extended an emberged wing towards her should, and smile, trying to find her gaze. My apologies and best wishes aren't going to fix anything. But maybe letting her know that I care will help.

"So.." I mumble, trying to lighten the mood as I retract my wing. "Aristan. What are you going to be building? Do you know yet?" Then, with real interest I asked: "Have you used the magic yet? Is it hard?"

Ranjiri
{
"Grief never ends, but it changes. Its a passage, not a place to stay. Grief is not a sign of weakness, nor a lack of faith. It is the price of love."

"Aelin is my baby sister."

"Oh..." I felt a little dumb, not knowing that I had been partnered with one of Gaucho's children for my patrol, but then I hadn't known right away that Rhoa was his son when we had patrolled together. I was left to wonder of just how young she was since he called her his baby sister. While I didn't mind going on patrols, mostly because it kept me occupied, I didn't think that foals had any business going on them. I'd felt the same way when Rhoa and I had patrolled the Veins so many seasons ago. It was an added responsibility, to take care of a child, while looking for suspicious happenings to report to the higher-ups. "How old is your baby sister?" I finally asked, so I could at least be a little prepared for when I finally met her.

I had hoped that Rhoa would just drop the whole ... the whole subject of my brother. I stared at him as he spoke about how he had thought his twin was dead and how it had hurt him, how it had made his soul feel like it was freezing. In a way he could relate to my own pain, but it was of little comfort. "...I feel like I'm being stabbed in the heart whenever anyone talks about him." I whispered as he continued on, ending with 'He's back home now, and I know Hototo isn't, but...' I was quiet for a bit before I finally spoke. "But your brother is alive and well and I'm glad that he is." I was genuinely happy for Rhoa that his brother had returned to him, mostly because I didn't want him to have to go through the same crap that I was.

When he finally changed the subject from Hototo to my promotion I was visibly relieved. For a few minutes I'd suspected that he'd move from one tender subject to another and bring up my dad. I still wasn't ready to really talk about that to anyone, which I guess was why I'd become so intent on being alone as much as possible.

"What are you going to be building? Do you know yet? Have you used the magic yet? Is it hard?"

"I don't know." I answered sheepishly. "Gaucho said something about some pillars, but I think I need to talk to Cera and Maren first? I'm not sure.." I guess I would know if I hadn't been avoiding my brother like he had a disease. "And no ... not yet. I'm kinda scared? Nervous? I don't want to screw up. I don't even know how it works yet.. I really need to speak with Cera, I guess."

"."

@[Rhoa]

Credits

aud pixel!

Odd
<style type="text/css">
</style>
Rhoa

"She's a few seasons old now - but eager to make a place for herself in the world." At least I think she is. To be fair, I haven't actually spent that much time with her - she is usually with Hawke, and together they seem always to be on some adventure. I shrug mildly. I don't have the same concerns as Ranjiri does - hardly anything even happens during patrols, so what's the harm?

I promptly decide to shut up as she continues. Why had I even said anything in the first place? Stabbed in the heart whenever anyone talks about him Good job Rhoa. A+. Why not bring up her dead brother and remind her how yours is still alive? That's some great diplomacy. Mother would be so pleased. My ears falter backwards slightly as this negative voice berates my thoughts. It isn't wrong though and I can feel myself wincing at her words as I cast my eyes away. Point taken I think to myself, and vow not to bring it up anymore.

I listen to her describe her insecurities, and it causes my sea-green gaze to rise to find hers. She seems ... so strong, even when she was speaking of things which were sad, there was a hardiness about her. To admit such worry, especially to me, a near stranger, only proved her strength. At least in my mind.

I laugh easily and shake my head. "I don't think you have anything to worry about. When Bucephalus was made crafter, I can't even tell you how many pieces of junk I would find laying around. Misshaped metal, metal too thin -" I laugh again. "And if Father could stand that, I'm sure he'll be alright with however long it takes you. Besides, after our season of crafting most of the larger things are done already, aren't they? So there's nothing pressing." I find my voice flows easily and comfortably now that we aren't talking about the subject of death or loneliness.

"I was helping Maren with her church a few seasons ago ... I've never had the crafting magic, but I would be happy to help you gather resources." I smile at her, and then realize how many times she had emphasized needing Cera's help. Never once had she insinuated that she might need mine. Coughing to cover up this potential blunder, I shrugged casually. "That is, if you need it."

Ranjiri
{
"Grief never ends, but it changes. Its a passage, not a place to stay. Grief is not a sign of weakness, nor a lack of faith. It is the price of love."

I noticed how Rhoa winced when I said that I was glad that his brother was alive and well. I didn't understand why he would react that way or why he would look away from me. I really was truly happy that his brother had come back to him. Was it wrong for me to not want him to have to experience the same pain that I felt over Hototo? "I'm sorry." I murmured. "I didn't mean to offend you..." At least I assumed by his wince that I had offended him. "What's your brother's name?" I figured there was a chance that I would run into Rhoa's brother and if I did, well, I wanted to know who he was.

Shortly after my question our conversation turned to a less disheartening subject. I couldn't help but smile and laugh quietly as Rhoa told me about Bucephalus' failed crafting. "I think you'll find much of the same from me." I admitted. It did make me feel better, though, to know that Bucephalus had not started out perfect with his crafting. Still, I knew that I had a lot to live up to. "No, I suppose there's nothing pressing." I agreed. "But that's no excuse for me to procrastinate." And yet that was exactly what I was doing and I think I was pretty good at that.

"I've never had the crafting magic, but I would be happy to help you gather resources. That is if you need it."

"Of course!" I blurted out then grinned sheepishly. "I mean ... I would love help." I was happy that he had offered to help me gather resources I just .... I hoped it wouldn't be a one time thing. I rather enjoyed Rhoa's company despite the awkward moments that we had both suffered through. "Would you want to be my partner?" I found myself asking. "Or ... is there anything that I could make for you? As practice..."

"."

@[Rhoa]

Credits

aud pixel!

Odd
<style type="text/css">
</style>
Rhoa

"His name is Ivezho-" I offer, and then fan out my wings slightly. The undersides burn and glow, as if someone was constantly blowing on hot coals. They are heatless, but the light causes warm ripples to appear on my gray coat. "He is lighter than me and cream - and his whole body burns like this. " As the sons of the Wildfire, we are fairly easy to spot, even if Ivezho does burn more brightly than I do.

I openly laugh - a warm and happy sound - as she compared herself to Bucephalus. It just sounded so ridiculous to my ears that she was even capable of the same blundering mistakes that he was. Where Bucephalus was noisy and stupidly self-assured, Ranjiri seemed ... poised? Graceful? Thoughtful? I couldn't really think of just one adjective that described her, even though a huge number swarmed my thoughts. "Lots of time for practice." I agree as my laughter slowly drifts off.

As she rather enthusiastically accepts my help, an even wider smile tugs my lips apart. I feel happiness warm my core and begin to float outwards at her remarks. For a moment I was sure that she would turn down - or that she would have so many others offering their help.

"Partner--?" I stutter, turning my sea-green gaze her way. For a moment her words catch me off guard. Perhaps it is just this place that we're in, this place of love and ... and sex that causes my mind its temporary confusion, but for the briefest of moments I definitely thought she meant something else. An entirely different sort of partner. With an easy smile I tried to smooth over my misunderstanding and quickly dipped my head in acceptance. "Yes I'd love to!" I agree readily.

As she mentioned practice, I tilt my head curiously trying to think. I've never really been offered anything before - everything has always been for the good of the herd, which comes before me. But now that she asks, I do have something in mind... "Well, if you need the practice ... maybe when we're back at the Throat, you could make me some shoes? Whenever I leave the Throat I always get rocks stuck in my hooves. Maybe they are just soft from always being on the sand, but it happened pretty often. "

Ranjiri
{

My eyes widened a bit when Rhoa said that his brother's name was Ivezho. It was then that I could pick out the resemblence between them, the main one being that they both glowed. I don't know why I hadn't noticed it and figured it out sooner. "I met him." I said. "A few weeks ago..." After my dad's burial, but I left that part out because I really didn't want to talk about sad things anymore. "I met him in the meadow. He was really nice." The both of them were really a lot alike, I think.

Rhoa's laugh made me grin and I looked down at my hooves. Had I known that he thought I seemed poised and graceful, of all things, I'd have joined him in laughing. I was the farthest thing from graceful that anyone could be, but obviously Rhoa had yet to see my botched attempts at landing. And he certainly hadn't been around the first time I crash-landed in the Throat. His father could definitly tell him about that one and they could have a good laugh at my expense. Anyway, it was my lack of grace and finesse that made me believe that I would end up leaving scraps of metal all over the place. I wasn't going to kid myself into thinking that I would be good at crafting right away.

"Partner--?"

"Yeah!" I said rather enthusiastically. "Y'know. Help me craft and stuff. We can learn together." But if he was helping Maren with her church he probably already knew more than I did. Gaucho's faith and the crafting magic would have probably been better going to Rhoa than to me. "Great!" I was definitely excited that he had agreed to being my partner and helping me with the whole crafting thing.

"Of course." I said when he said that I could make him some shoes because of rocks getting stuck in his hooves. I've honestly never really had a problem with rocks getting in my hooves. "Rocks sometimes get stuck between my toes." I said and I lifted my left foreleg up so he could see my cloven hooves better. I wondered if shoes would help me but I think they would be awkward and heavy.

"."

@[Rhoa]

Credits

aud pixel!