the Rift

Was this the right choice?

Cosette Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

"The inside of your mind must be a terrible place..

There was a disgusted look smeared across her golden face, rich eyes cast across the dreary and monochromatic landscape as she regarded the sullen trees with a dismissive glance. Hooves had perched her right at the edge of the Threshold, squared up and golden toes pointing towards the direction she assumed she had meant to go.

As she second-guessed her own decision to enter this land, snow drifted down in tiny flurries from the heavens. The fresh powder pooled at her feet and on her priceless skin, and each small bit of fuzzy ice nestling its home among her fur and hair was met with a twitch of skin and a heaving sigh of her chest. As much as the Gold highly disliked trees, what with all their ... lovely.. shedding, 'leafy glory,' she disliked the damp flurry of snow even more.

Nostrils flared, skin tugging at the corners and pulling the golden ring nestled there taught against her muzzle. The Gold jerked forward in a split-second decision as her hooves took her from a dead stand-still to a rushed gallop. Since she had already come so far, she might as well traverse the few hundred feet that laid between her and the thick lining of trees and enter this dismal land. Dainty legs took care to avoid all manner of sticks and stones that may mar her perfect skin, and once within the confines of the trees, the Gold slowed down. Perfect head was held high and proud as she regarded her surroundings, large eyes gazing upwards into the abyss of the tree-tops, which almost seemed to block out all sunlight (or moonlight... heaven knows the clouds make it damn near impossible to tell, anyway).

Regardless of the heavy canopy far above her head that blocked out almost everything... the damned snow still managed to, somehow, make its presence known within the confines of the trees. The thick blanket at her feet was not at all fresh, but not quite solid either; it was an absolutely horrible, disgustingly slushy mess that made the Golden's lip curl up at the corner. "Is every area in this godforsaken land covered?" she snarled to herself, flicking a hoof at the gross scene laid before her feet.

She quickly turned craned her head and neck towards her rear, lips grasping a firm hold on her neatly-braided tail and lifting it up off of the ground. If she was going to spend the majority of her time in this... fantastically damp place, she might as well make sure her lovely tail didn't get soaked to the core and freeze solid like a rock, right? But she must be an awkward sight to behold; a black and gold mare, gorgeous as can be, carrying her tail like a little clumsy filly would carry a large leaf.

open to anyone - multiple people welcome, too!
WC 471 // please tag me in all replies // code by inkbone

Erebos Posts: 474
Aurora Basin General atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1hh :: Four HP: 75.5 | Buff: DANCE
Orsino :: Plain Kitsune :: Dark Illusions & Enyo :: Common Griffon :: Draining Clutch Heather

The haphazard sway of Frostfall rang about his ears in the cold, possessive wind, and he was strung along its wares like a piece of string; wild, unfettered, tied and tethered to nothing and no one. He bounded through the piles of snow as a behemoth, untamed and savage, launching and leaping in stag springs and fawn sprints, utterly captivated and spellbound by the outcrops and touches of winter’s splendor. When he was not delving rapidly into its core, for he lived in the eternal north, with its barbaric thorns and its bestial thrones and everything else in between, the growing beast wandered, thriving on the paths to ruin. He chased after the fantasies, the whims, the prowess of his childhood, intending to leave it behind eventually, when he was through with everything it had to offer.

The sublime bounty of the Threshold, however, would be a worthy distraction from heralding corruption and summoning nefariousness – he and Orsino made a quick, rapid, swift turn from an alternating route, and thrust themselves between the fountains of groves and the locked passageways of tomorrow. They were hardly silent, rummaging through tempests of rime and slush as carnivorous mercenaries, feasting on icicles and fancies, plunging beneath wide-open boughs of heavy powder and snorting as it landed upon their backs. More than once the kitsune sunk into the snow’s grasp, and his sable coloring aided his brisk release, Erebos needing no more than a few moments to lift him by a furry ring of pelt out of the troubling venue; adding only a smirk in response.

But amidst their joy, their exuberance, their banter, a stranger’s scent came wafting amidst the pines, the firs, and the coniferous wares; the boy’s head raised ever so slightly, nares widening, catching and capturing hold of a newcomer threading their way through the assemblage and patterns of winter’s folly. The duo responded in haste, their usual pace, frenetic and feverish, launching into ardent displays of more deer qualities, parading and giggling and snickering until they finally came upon a crisp set of gilded and onyx patterns, ceasing their movement, their sounds, abruptly as the femme, older, perhaps wiser, perhaps stronger (in might? In spirit?) briefly mumbled to herself.

“Of course! Its Frostfall!” He responded in one eager, teasing twitch of his tongue – though truthfully, perhaps the Dragon’s Throat, with its high sun, with its molten land, with its plateaus of sand and dust, held the powder and cold at bay – then advanced, a curling, impish smile spoiling his regal features into a reverent nature, eyes narrowing careful, scrutinizing smidgens to implore and study her further. Orsino, not to be outdone, wove his way through the colt’s lanky columns to inspect the lady, sniffing the air in shadowy conjectures. When they drew a yard or so away, the prince continued their play of introductions, aiming to aid and abide. “I’m Erebos! Who are you?” Then, tilting his head a mere fraction to the right, he mounted his speculation with a curious, mischievous air, proffering and bestowing a slight gift to her, if she yearned for it. “I can get rid of some of the snow, if you’d like.” The threat, the distortion, of flames coiled and nestled within his chest, a rapid, harsh beat of savagery poised on the tip of his touch, a truly infernal stroke; and Orsino bleated a heavy hum.

OOC ::
"speech"
credits

Enna Posts: 172
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.1 :: 5 ( TALLSUN ) HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Mehr :: Arctic Wolf :: None kels
something filled up my heart with nothing

'Is every area in this god forsaken land covered?'

You had, upon leaving your little home tucked in the north, all intentions of extending offerings of a home, like Arah had for you. It is this reason that you are here again, despite the piling snow that so far had shown no intention to stop, to gather up stragglers and make sure they were safe at least for the coming months that would no doubt be difficult. You had never experienced winter, nor snow, but it had come to your attention that it wasn't exactly an easy thing to deal with, especially on ones own. But the voice that had caught your attention ignited something within you. It clearly belonged to a girl, and as you advance, the darkness of her skin becomes clear enough for you to make out her shape.

"Yeah, pretty much." You smile, slightly incredulous as you pick your way through the trees, the curled tips of your lily-white hair dragging through the snow. You had, upon seeing her as she grasped at her tail, opted for a longer way around, one that forced your body horizontal to her face as if to say, ‘see, imagine that, my hair isn’t falling out in chunks, I’m not melting, and the world most certainly isn’t ending just because I've gotten dirty.’ "It may have escaped your no-doubt flawless attention but you’ve arrived just in time for winter."

Caught somewhere in-between a jest and sparks of annoyance catching on your veins, the words may have seemed too harsh, but you shrug, coming to a pause near to her head, eyes of sea and earth inspecting the curious, albeit brilliant, orange dashes along her neck, the velvet of her skin. She is beautiful, or perhaps would be if the words, her holding her tail up as if she were some princess too good to get so much as a smudge of dirt on her, did not hint towards vanity. It isn’t really any of your business in the first place, you suppose, but this had just been too good to pass up. After all, you had never met someone so intent on staying pristine; what harm was there in pointing out the frivolity of it?

"Welcome to Helovia."

It is just after you offer the hollow greeting that the sound of another blundering through the trees reaches you. Slowly, and half disinterestedly, you turn towards the black and blue figure, confirming all that you had just said. The tone of his words pricks something within you and you sigh, looking back to the girl from under thick eyelashes even as he announces his name. ‘I can melt some of the snow, if you’d like.’ Your ears perk, a distinct curiosity rising within you. You, however, do not betray it; your face remaining flat with the smallest hint of a smile curling on your lips, framed by curls upon curls of hair.

idk what her issue is but i figured some drama ought to do at least a little good? XD ♥

please tag enna in every post
violence permitted barring permanent injury / death

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah
-

It was a little nerve-wracking, taking a trip to the Threshold with the intent to invite someone back to the Throat. He was still getting situated in the herd, would he really be the best at deciding who would be good to invite back? What if he invited someone to join that hated it, or who the herd hated? The latter didn’t seem very likely, with the members of the Throat being as friendly as they were, but the entire trip northward had involved such doubts. Lucius, his growing companion, stayed sheltered from the harsh winter winds in the folds of his wings. His large wings helped shelter his own skin from the cold as well - his first Frostfall in the Throat and he had noticed that his winter coat did not quite grow in with the same vigour that it had the previous cold seasons. He was thankful for it while in the Throat but wishing otherwise as he moved further north toward the Threshold.

No sooner had he arrived in the forest than did he notice someone moving about in a rather… odd fashion. It took him a moment to realize what he was seeing and then he couldn’t help but be rather intrigued. There was a mare, black and dappled with bright gold, that was holding her tail in her mouth. Was it to avoid the snow? It had been building up in incredible amounts in the northern lands.

Already there were two others standing near her but he had come to help get over his shyness, had he not? Hurrying away from the first crowd that he saw did not exactly make for a successful attempt at visiting the Threshold. So he joined them, moving closer in time to catch enough of the conversation to hear the blue yearling offer to get rid of some of the snow for the mare with her tail in her mouth - a kind offer. If it had not been made perhaps it would have been a good idea to invite her over to further within the trees - there were at least a couple spots where the snow was not quite so deep where they could talk.

He smiled at them all, keeping his wings folded tight against his side as he stopped nearby. Though he dipped his horned head to all in greeting it was first to the gold-dappled mare that he focused his kind, silver eyes on. “It’s not quite so snowy in all parts of Helovia… and in most it does not stay for too long.” He added, hopefully it would at least somewhat encouraging. His attention then re-broadened to include the rest and he looked to them as he introduced himself. “My name’s Mesec, from Dragon’s Throat.” Lucius, somewhat accustomed to being forgotten about in the introductions while he remained out of sight, peered curiously at the others through the black feathers of Mesec’s wing but did not dare enter the cold quite yet.

Mesec & Lucius

original bird shape by lukeroberts at deviantart
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
Tembovu
Lumbering through the Threshold, the elephant slowly made his way through the god forsaken slush that covered the earth. Snow was most assuredly not his favorite. He paused, having meandered the trees for a good part of the day, searching for someone to welcome. But had found no one.

As he paused, his white ears flickered, and he vaguely heard a question asking rather pertly about this land. And then promptly heard it answered by three other voices. Hmmm. Turning towards the voices, he walked with more purpose than before, large strides quickly breaking through the trees and revealing the assortment of equines. All were horned, one had wings. Deep blue eyes assessed them all, and found the focus on the small, gold and black mare comically holding her tail. She must have questioned the cold, “Ah, a woman after my own heart,” his voice rumbled as he heartily agrees with her disdain for the snow.

“I am Tembovu, of the World’s Edge. And I second the smart lady’s welcome,” he nodded, referencing the smart-alecky (if not outright rude, but Tembovu wouldn’t be the one to say it) words of the dark bay and white maned mare, who was so much smaller than himself. His words could have been reproachful her, but the good humor in his voice just negated it.

Scanning the four other equines, he smiled, “Who might you be, golden lady? And do you seek a new home?” He paused, “For I think the lot of us would be happy to offer you residence with our respective herds,” his smile grew to a lopsided grin as he easily cocked and rested a large hind hoof. He glanced in the direction of the stallion sans wings, “That is, after this fine man has removed some of this forsaken snow,” he gave a small snort. He was curious as to how the stallion would remove it- and wondered if he might replicate the trick. Probably not, for it was probably magic- though what a useful magic that would be in the face of such brutal winters here in Helovia.

Image // Coding

Please tag Tembovu.

Unregistered

[ooc] I'm sooo sorry this took so long! My work had me pulling doubles all week; thank goodness I'm going back to my normal schedule, though, so replies will come MUCH quicker, I promise! Also, please tag me in responses! [/ooc]

The trees, quiet and burdened with the ever-growing snow that piled upon their branches, provided enough basic shelter to soothe Cosette's frustration with.. well, nature. In reality, the Gold expected few beings to actually inhabit this cold slush of land; she was quite wrong, it seemed. As suffocating as this forest could be, she heard the immediate bustle of hooves and breathing nearby, and gaze turned in the direction from which it resonated.

Erebos and some, um, unique little creature came pouncing about the forest, making a ruckus that might as well wake the dead. Piercing eyes stared at the duo once they skidded into the clearing, but the expression on her face was practically nonexistent. While not quite angry with the unnecessary noise and frolicking, it was obvious that she was quite indifferent to it, if not mildly irritated: gold-trimmed ears had taken to resting softly backwards on her head to indicate just that. Head craned over her back, and she deposited her tail so that it was resting atop her rump; out of the snow, and her mouth. "You act like I know what on earth 'Frostfall' is supposed to mean..." she started off, ears slowly relaxing enough feign interest in the young brute. "I'll assume it's your.. land's?.. fancy word for the colder days."

To be truthful, she knew she was somewhere. Where exactly, the Gold had no idea.. but it was unlike her to admit such a thing. Her eyes wandered down to the kitsune, who snaked its way around the stallion's lanky legs and sniffed at her feet from a small distance away. Nostrils flared, expelling a cloud of steaming, frosty breath as she lifted her foot up, and away, from the tiny creature. Inwardly, the Gold had to quell the desire to curl the corners of her lip in distaste. "... I'm Cosette," she said simply, still eying the creature at his feet. But at the offer to melt snow, her ears noticeably perked up and twitched in the stallion's direction; even her gaze met his. Her interest was quite intrigued, even if she did not show it. ".. and I'd much appreciate that."

Maybe he's not so bad after all... she pondered, but was quite abruptly jerked from her thoughts by a voice that, even from the first words, grated on her nerves. Sharp eyes scanned the surrounding trees, until they finally rested on the mare to whom the voice belonged. Seeing Enna's peculiar antlers reminded her of her own little prong-like horns, which lay nestled behind her ears and almost completely hidden... but their similarities did not mean Cosette would grant her empathy, especially after those obnoxiously caustic words. "I suggest you watch your tone," she warned, although her voice was nothing but calm and collected, head held high and gaze locked firmly with the mare's. Even though she knew so little about her, Cosette considered herself better than the bay, thus a fight would hardly be worth her time... but she'd be damned if someone treated her so impertinently, like one would scold a brash youngling.

Cosette was so lost in her bitterness surrounding Enna's first words, that she refused to verbally acknowledge her welcome to this land; but it did not elude her fully. Helovia, hm? Such an odd name.. Is everything in this place named so eccentrically? Her question was answered quite quickly, as Mesec made an appearance and introduced himself, as well as where he hailed from. Her honey eyes were drawn to the hybrid's peculiarities... not only did he sport both wings and a twisted horn atop his head, but he was a color she had not seen before: black and silver. Quite a compliment to the colors that graced her own skin, should she say so herself. His words were met with a tilt of her head; a.. polite... acknowledgement that he spoke. "I'm assuming you speak from experience when you say not all places within..." she paused, recalling the name. "... Helovia, are quite as cold. Especially when you hail from a place with such an odd name as 'Dragon's Throat,'..."

She didn't even get another singular moment to think of how particularly weird of a name that was for an inhabitable place, before Tembovu appeared. Gaze was inexplicably drawn to him... and then upwards. She had thought Mesec to be tall, but this beast was a tower; she was quite unsure whether this was a good thing, however. The Gold regarded him with an analyzing eye, but how he spoke of Enna's words made her scoff, and glance back at the mare. "I'd consider her words more rude than smart," she quipped, completely unafraid to say what everyone else was most likely thinking.

But the large, towering stallion continued his introduction, to which Cosette turned her attention back towards him. World's Edge, Dragon's Throat, Helovia... all such bizarre names in an even more bizarre place, she inwardly speculated. Her mental train of thought was brought back to Mesec and... well, the rude mare who never even introduced herself. Neither of them really said where they lived, unless she was so caught up in the large amount of people surrounding her so suddenly, that she missed it. Speaking of that, why were there so many people all of the sudden? Was she not completely alone just a second ago?

Tembovu actually answered her question right then and there for her. "Ah," she chuckled, "So that's what this place is. A grounds to recruit new people?" Explains why they flocked like flies to a dead carcass... Que mental grimace at that idiom. Scratch that. I certainly can't be related to a dead carcass.. bees to nectar sounds so much better.

"I guess you could say I need a place to reside." But she certainly wasn't going to 'settle.' Who says she needs anyone, anyway?

Erebos, Enna, Mesec, Tembovu
WC 975 // please tag me in all replies // code by inkbone

Erebos Posts: 474
Aurora Basin General atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1hh :: Four HP: 75.5 | Buff: DANCE
Orsino :: Plain Kitsune :: Dark Illusions & Enyo :: Common Griffon :: Draining Clutch Heather

Beneath the impish, mischievous gaze, the scion tried to determine if he liked this mare or not. She reminded him all too well of Essetia – and that encounter hadn’t been pleasant. Perhaps it was the tipped-back ears, the indignant tone, or the way she stared at Orsino, but he found himself incensed, pricked, and nettled, the exuberance gone, turning and twisting to wiles, to miles of deceit, to layers and lacquer of whims and mercurial pursuits that could have her head spinning. She held a regime of petulance even he, in youth, in childhood, hadn’t unleashed, and it made him almost yearn to leave. He half-expected a lecture. The miniature heathen attempted to piece together why her actions stirred him towards distaste, spawning a circular pattern along his skull. She didn’t seem very fond of merriment, which he held in spades, she didn’t seem very fond of winter, which was what his home was almost entirely housed in, and she didn’t seem very fond of him. For a newcomer, she certainly had her opinions, her faults, and her flaws, and maybe she was too far overcome, too overwhelmed, by all the new notions, all the new sentiments. Had every single piece of information become consuming and devouring? Did this mean he should give her a chance, and not pilfer off into the hillsides?

He pondered on this for a length, tilting his head this way and that as more and more individuals came threading through the snow-covered firs. Orsino maneuvered completely underneath him now, regarding everyone with a steady gaze and a secure roof, as Erebos proffered warm gestures and bobs of his head; they were all his elders, and despite his princely ranking, were above him in some regard. The little beast rather enjoyed the next one, silver and blue-eyed and hailing from his mountain range, because she handed over slivers and splinters of mockery – he made sure his gaze met Enna’s in devilment and delight, before his gaze flickered towards Mesec of Dragon’s Throat (who he likely could have stared at for hours; what an intriguing coat pattern, what a wingspan – any perusal or study would have to wait, but the other stag was impressive), and a striped stallion, Tembovu of the World’s Edge.

Thereafter they looked towards him, for he still had an offer standing. They must have been curious, or mildly intrigued, on his methods, on his madness, on how one would remove snow or conquer the endless bouts of Frostfall. He shrugged, aware of their eyes, donning a cool, composed series of features as the attention was laced and layered upon him –

And promptly set the snow on fire.

The blaze curled and coiled within him, wild and untamed, savage and blistering, emerging as he beckoned its temper, as he summoned its ferocious meddling, dipping his head and dragging his maw through the powder as he maneuvered in a hasty, blinding circle of embers, of cinders, of infernos, around the golden mare. He never touched her, never waned towards her frame, never sought to get the burning barbs near her – simply allowed the vestiges of his powers to collide, to mold, to mesh into the pits and pendulums of frost, watching as they melted around her. The child raised his head after returning from where he’d started, notching his wicked gaze to Cosette’s, and bobbing his head in triumphant resolution. “Done!”

The aftermath of his actions caused an enormous range of giant puddles (which looked like absolute fun to stomp and roll and splash in; and he was close to doing just that, when he remembered he was here to recruit – there was a moment where his stare fixed resolutely on Enna and hoped to inspire her to do what he craved), pooling into ravishing amounts, slowly trickling down into the dormant soil. The child wasn’t sure if she would be inclined to hate that too, but he didn’t really care either. Instead, he launched into answering questions and providing some sentiments of his home, half-hoping he’d be able to salvage whatever bitter remnants still remained. “Right! You’re at the Threshold. Newcomers have to arrive here.” Unless of course, one was born within Helovia, like himself; he brightened, just a little, at the chance to wax poetical about his herd. His words filled with a bastion of pride, glowing, luminescent, brightening and plunging into the scene. “You could reside in the Aurora Basin! We have mountains, valleys, caves, and a lake that never freezes! And hot springs – which are perfect for this time of year.”

OOC :: @[Enna] @[Cosette]
"speech"
credits

Enna Posts: 172
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.1 :: 5 ( TALLSUN ) HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Mehr :: Arctic Wolf :: None kels
something filled up my heart with nothing

"Suggest all you want." As her eyes fall on you, you do not flinch away, instead squarely meeting her gaze with a smile that suggests innocence. Despite the calmness of her voice you would like to believe that you had ruffled a few of her proverbial feathers, and so you do. As her attention pulls from you, you glance in the direction she looks, your gaze being caught by the black and blue boy, smirking at the hint of mischief that you swear you saw within the depths of those northern blue eyes before moving on to the black and silver boy, wings tucked neatly to slender sides. He addresses himself as Mesec, the smile on his maw infectious.

By now you do not suppose you should be surprised with the men popping from the woodwork, but as a sheer giant emerges from the cover of the woods you merely gape, eyes flitting from one dark marking to the next, your head craning upwards just to see his face. As he speaks, however, his words stomp away your awe and you snort somewhat loudly, leaving no question as to what you thought of the two being such, well, bitchy little women. You do not understand what the point of being so upset about something that no one can change, more-so on the golden’s part than the antelope looking kid. Winter, along with snow, has always been something that everyone had to deal with; just the same as spring bringing rain, and with summer, heat.

He makes a remark of your welcome, stating his name, leaving you as the only one who has not. Manners were already out, and so you remain quiet, all for the better since she is off, correcting the skyscraper of a man. “And I could consider yours ignorant and just a little petulant, but what does that matter?” You shoot back at her, shrugging, as if indifferent. In truth you really do not care what she, or anyone else in this little… gathering thought of you in particular. Antelope man speaks again, this time with a bluntness which you can appreciate, getting straight to the point of offering a home which all of the rest of you had failed to do up until this point. Not like it matters much, as, assuming your first impression of her is correct, she most likely would be unimpressed with anything any one of you had to offer her.

At the mention, and reminder, of the black and blue boy’s offer to melt some snow, you turn to him again, gaze weighted with expectation. He does not disappoint, fire sparking seemingly from nowhere beneath his face pressed to the earth, composing a circle around the dark hued mare. In an instant puddles form, and you, catching his gaze once more as he stills, no doubt have the same idea brewing. With a feigned squeal of surprise you lift yourself in to the air, body ducking sideways, just far enough to ensure a grand landing within the slush. And so you do, feet planting firmly within the warm waters which spew angrily around them, hopefully sending some directly at the leopard spotted girl.

“My apologies,” You breathe, though your tone may suggest anything but regret, shaking your head as a repenting glance is spared in her direction. “The fire startled me.” You do not care if they – specifically she – takes your apology seriously. She had, from the moment you set eyes on her, gotten underneath your skin. You cannot explicitly say why; maybe it had been her insolence, the way she seems to think herself above getting dirty that makes you want to knock her down a few pegs, but again, you conclude it doesn’t matter: she just does all the same. As Erebos speaks again, this time of the home you both share, you have to fight to keep yourself from laughing, from adding the words sitting on the tip of your tongue, ‘And snow, lots and lots of lovely, soft, sticks to everything and everywhere, snow. But we hardly think you’ll notice it.’

You had come here to find new faces, to sweep them away and offer them somewhere warm and safe to stay within the so far bitter winter. You had, no doubt, erased the fraction of the chance that she would have any interest in coming with you, and somewhere you feel almost sorry about it, failure always a bitter thing to swallow. But you do not want her. She is (in your humble, not at all hypocritical opinion) fickle and shallow and stupid, unbearably stupid. With that, you look to Erebos, silently inviting him to join you on your way back north, having enough of this, as she so eloquently put it, godforsaken land to last a lifetime. If you never see her again, you conclude, it would be too soon.

I COULDN'T HELP IT SERIOUSLY THE SECOND I READ EREBOS OFFERING TO MELT THE SNOW I WAS LIKE OHGODWHATHAVEYOUDONE. forgive enna for being such a brat, pls <3
@[Mesec] @[Cosette]

please tag enna in every post
violence permitted barring permanent injury / death

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah
-

It was not altogether surprising that yet another joined their group - making it five, including the black and gold mare that they were all there to greet. Having been born in Helovia he often wondered how this felt - being flocked upon by recruiters. Yes, they were all there to welcome her to the land itself but they all had ulterior motives - reasons for wanting to invite someone back to their herd above the others. Mesec wasn’t sure he was quick enough with his words to battle not one but three others for this mare’s attention but perhaps there would be no need of a ‘battle’. Perhaps they could just have a conversation and figure out where she would best like to go - even if only for a time.

The newcomer, Tembovu, was impressively tall and uniquely marked and he introduced himself as being from the World’s Edge. Curiosity about how that herd was faring with the Moon Goddess trapped there almost got the better of Mesec but he decided that this was not the time or place for such inquiries. If he wanted to know how his mother was doing in her captivity, he could walk over there and ask her himself instead of interrupting the introductions and inquiries that were happening around him now.

The yearling seemed happy to use his magic to clear away the snow - Mesec not being able to help but take a step backward just in case some stray flames were to come his way. The movement was instinctual - and as soon as the flames passed he calmly resumed his prior spot. But his own calm reaction was quite different from that of the unicorn mare with the pale hair - she squealed at the sight of the flame and leapt into the air. He worried that she had been burned but there did not seem to be any pain when she landed in the next moment, splashing in the newly formed water.

He too, noticed how Erebos left out the ‘snow’ part of the Basin though he did not bring it up either. Instead, when there was a moment, he took the chance to speak up - first, to agree with the picture that the blue colt had painted of the north. “The Basin is a lovely place.” There was no denying that, whatever mixed feelings Mesec had about the herd that resided there. “Dragon’s Throat lies far to the south in comparison - and it’s more friendly than the name implies. It is often the warmest spot in Helovia, with sandy beaches that stretch out into the ocean. There’s a freshwater lake right in the center and the plants and palms trees that grow around it provide plenty of shelter from the sun if it gets to be too much.” Well, maybe talking about how intense the sun could be was not the best recruiting tactic but he figured he might as well be honest. It was not as though Cosette needed to pick her forever-home based on these descriptions.

“I managed to survive the heat there with my coat, thanks to the shade I could find.” He grinned, ruffling his dark feathers to illustrate the point. He had not been built for long exposure to the intense Tallsun heat - that was certain. But he came out into the cooler weather alright. “The herd itself is friendly, though. Like all the others there are different ranks you can join if you want. Though you’d be welcome just to visit and see if you like it as well.” Mesec could probably talk around in circles if he was allowed to go for much longer so he trailed off here, hoping that his nerves weren’t showing. He just did not want to give a bad impression about the Throat!

Mesec & Lucius

original bird shape by lukeroberts at deviantart

@[Tembovu] @[Cosette]
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Tembovu
He grinned at the gaping mouth of the delicate (and yet unnamed) mare. Though he was generally used to the various reactions to his size- fearful, spiteful, defensive- he found surprise was his preferred reaction. Most likely because it was the most amusing and least harmful.

His grin grew larger at the pert response of Cosette, despite her scoff. He lowered his great head slightly in acknowledgement of her words, for indeed the exchange between the two young women lacked an air of civility. Though he said nothing as he waited for the blue and black unicorn to work his wonders.

He kept his deep chuckle trapped in his barrel as the two mares continued their cheeky dialogue. He had been a general, surrounded by men. And whenever he was around women- both in the past and here in Helovia- he was usually one on one with them. This experience was a refreshingly entertaining one. (Though, given the personalities of the two, he assumed that his mirth would by highly unwelcome at the given moment).

A low rumble of surprise escaped him as flames licked the snow. The noise was so deep, it was almost unheard, but it vibrated the bones. His thick columns of legs remained rooted to the ground- quite unlike the airborne reaction of the mare or the backward steps of Mesec. When it came to magic, he had been trained to let the wielder finish before interfering. Though the young age of Eerebos had his deep blue gaze warily watching the flames. “Quite the nifty trick, Erebos,” his deep voice rumbled in appreciation, “Especially for living in the chill of the Basin.”

When the yearling neglected to speak of the cold of the Basin, a reproving look on his broad face more than said that he thought the blue yearling should have mentioned it. He let Mesec finish his description of the Throat, again a smile crossing his strong features as the younger stallion so clearly wished to paint his home in a good light. Tembovu found his eagerness endearing.

“The World’s Edge lies to the west- quite literally the edge of as far was as you may go. It lies between the climates- not so frigid as the Basin nor as balmy as the Throat. It’s a forested plateau with sheer cliffs that drop to the sea. They’re quite beautiful,” he paused, “Though, I understand the allure of the warmth of the Throat,” he nodded towards Mesec, “And the pull of being with your own, horned kind in the Basin,” his gaze traveling over Cosette had just barely caught the horns hiding behind her ears.

“The Edge offers friends and purpose, for there’s rebuilding to be done in our ranks,” he wasn’t certain if work is what the black and gold mare sought- given her cheeky manner. But those were two things the mammoth had sought when he came to Helovia. His low booming of a voice finally fell quiet, and he shifted his massive weight on his thick legs.

ooc| I think “antelope man” is my favorite description of him I’ve ever heard -cries laughing-
Also, sorry for the day delay! I tried to get his up last night, but I feel asleep before I finished it. Too many surgeries yesterday xD
@[Cosette] @[Erebos] @[Enna] @[Mesec]
Image // Coding

Please tag Tembovu.

Unregistered

In Cosette's disdain, her attention was yet again drawn back to Erebos. Gold eyes regarded him with a mildly intrigued, yet concealed, look as she surveyed his apparently change in outward emotions once he was put to the task of melting snow. The boy - who earlier gallivanted into the clearing displaying nothing more than an overly frivolous nature - went from being almost immature, to puffing his chest with overflowing confidence. All witty comebacks to the little snot of the mare were swept aside, as her attention focused solely on Erebos.

As he prepared his show, the Gold squared her feet; a habit that, in the next few seconds, she was thankful for. The air sparked and lit up; the lovely warmth of fire flared, catching onto all it could ignite as it devastated not only the snow, but the already-dying foliage that lay beneath it, in a tight circle around the vain mare.

Intrigue swept over her features in the subtlest of manners: golden trimmed ears perked up atop her head, gilded eyes following the trail of flames to the young boy. There, they rest, nearly boring a hole into him as thoughts churned inside her head. The very corner of her lips twitched upwards; it was an almost miniscule show of... happiness? devious thoughts? ... that could be so easily missed, as the Gold smite the expression, her features returning neutral in a mere split second.

This is why everyone spoke so highly of this place.. The Gold mare - vain, petulant, and almost intolerable on the outside - had a sudden spark that ignited her soul. While she seems so cold, so horrible, there were intentions and deeper meanings other than just her precious looks; things she didn't speak of, but thought so often of.

Her eyes left Erebos, and looked down to her feet. There the foliage and grass lay shriveled and black; the Gold extended a hoof, and drug it across the veritable black circle of casualty. The grass - hot and melting - smeared into a streak of vile sludge, as the rank smell of smoke wafted up to the mare. So it's not an illusion, like the doubters spoke of... well, I'll certainly be damned.

She was ripped from her thoughts by a horrid squeal, followed quickly by a lukewarm wave of water impacting her skin, which twitched at the sensation. Unamused eyes drew from their study of the devastation Erebos wrecked, to the still unnamed mare, Enna. There was no anger in her stare, like the brat most likely expected; instead, it was replaced by indignant pity.

"Oh, my sympathy goes to you then, dear.. I assumed only fillies were startled by fire." The words were intended to sting in all the right ways, as that was all the fleeting attention she gave the Brat (which she would, henceforth, refer to her as) before turning her gaze elsewhere. Surely the antlered mare would have thought that getting the Gold wet would cue the end of all times... and if that was the case, she would be sorely mistaken. Hell, at this point, the Gold was tempted to join the Brat's herd simply to spite her... if any one collection of souls could tolerate the antlered mare enough to actually have her as part of a herd, that is. But such was a fleeting thought, as it might not behoove her in the long run to be so catty.

Her attention was drawn to everyone's respective descriptions of their lands. They spoke of things she expected them to - of hot springs, of lakes, of trees and beaches and vastness... for in all her vanity, she must come off as someone who is only concerned with the physical. However, if that is what people truly anticipated of her, she was honestly fine with them never knowing any of her other intentions.

The Gold took it all in, her silence quite deafening, if such a statement made any sense... And in her silence, the hoof that had smeared the dead foliage Erebos created was involuntarily dipped into the puddles of water surrounding her. Keeping herself clean might as well be a reflex by now, and she spent the next few seconds wiping the black sludge of former life off... onto the not-completely dead grass directly at her feet, all the while continuing to listen to Erebos, in his fervor to describe the Basin. "Sounds pleasant," she spoke, but then her eyes wandered over to Tembovu, as he swiftly corrected Erebos's description. A smile cracked her usually expressionless lips, coupled with a slight nod to the Giant showing her true appreciation of his honesty. She quite hated snow; that was apparent by now. And while Erebos had good intentions, she was sure, the colt's main intention was most likely to impress, and gloss over otherwise unsavory features of his land.

Mesec's description of Dragon's Throat was a lot like what she expected. It was warm... all year round, which meant that in the summer it must be absolutely scorching. The hybrid only confirmed her expectations with his next sentence, which was met with a well-intentioned chuckle. "Sounds nice, yet... toasty. So the name definitely does hint at what it's like to live there, does it not?" Her eyes met his, and if he felt his nervousness had started to show, it'd really come out with her stare. While her words were complacent and sweet (if such a word could be used to describe her), her gaze was quite deadpan.

But despite her expressionless stare, her ears twitched at the mention of ranks. Something obviously caught her attention, as her head tilted a minute degree and she continued on where her thoughts left off, "Oh? And what types of ranks lie within the Dragon's Throat?"

Tembovu and Mesec, out of the four in front of her, seemed to have the most manners. While this was not a requirement of the Gold's, it was certainly nice, especially with the "one" out of the four showing the exact opposite. Her attention wandered from the Hybrid, to the Giant that took his turn in speaking of his land: the World's Edge... Certainly another unique name. But it was not just his manners that drew her attention; his description of his land was much more frank and to the point. Not only did he speak of the physical, but like Mesec's description of the Throat, what truly caught her attention was his mention of ranks.

Specifically the indication of rebuilding ranks, which hinted at some form of absence within them. The Gold certainly may come off as egocentric and look-obsessed, but nothing ignited her inner fire more than a purpose that she could control. She felt her thoughts tugging her more towards the World's Edge... a good medium, in climate and livability, between both the Basin and the Throat, with the possibility of advancing up within the ranks. What was there not to like?

"The World's Edge sounds quite nice."

Erebos, Enna, Mesec, Tembovu
WC 1,161 // "TALK" // THOUGHT // please tag in all replies
code copyright to inkbone

The elephant could no longer hide his amusement at the entertaining exchange between the two mares, and a deep short chuckle escaped him as the Cosette's biting words were aimed towards the flighty, equally sharp tongued mare. Though he was not one for rudeness, their banter (perhaps a euphemistic word) was refreshingly humorous to the large stallion.

Thick, white ears flick to the others as the striking mare questions about their lands, then his gaze glances towards the fading light in the sky. While he felt relatively familiar with Helovia by now, the thought of traveling in the chill of the evening sent an unpleasant shiver through his thick coat. Navy eyes return to the unnerving golden eyes of Cosette, the blue depths reflecting the warning of waning light.

"I, too, find the Edge quite nice," he grinned lopsidedly, "But the sun's near setting, and with it goes the little warmth of the day," his deep voice rolls to the crowd, but is aimed to Cosette. "While I'll not rush your choice, my feelings towards the cold are akin to yours. So I'll be heading to the Edge with the light left of today. I'd be quite pleased if you joined me- and only slightly offended if you choose the other ladies and gentlemen here," he winked good humoredly at her.

Then, slowly, and hoping the golden jaguaress would join his heavy strides, he turned his gargantuan body west, and started to head towards the lowering sun. It would be a trek to get home, and he wasn't sure he'd make it before losing light. That thought sucked some of his good humor away, and he hoped even more that the black lady would join him. Misery loves company after all, and what stallion doesn't enjoy the attention of an attractive mare? The warmth of another body would not be unappreciated the either.

He pauses, looking over his tall shoulder at Cosette, giant form silhouetted by the sun.

ooc| @[Cosette] I'm on my phone so pretty tables are a no-go :( and sorry its so short!

Please tag Tembovu.

Unregistered

Cosette's eyes did not linger on the surrounding landscape much longer. The others had seemingly fallen silent; whether it be in shock or a sudden lack of interest, the Gold did not quite know, nor did it honestly concern her. Ears twitched towards the behemoth, and she looked up to him as he spoke of the dying light.

A bemused, mildly feminine rumble rolled in her throat. "At least someone here is sane," she mused, eyes glancing back to the Brat who found her hatred of the snow (and cold) apparently annoying. There was no parting farewell sent to the antlered annoyance, just a snide smile thrown in her direction; although the Gold was not quite as cold to the other two. Her head dipped towards the colt, a lazy ear flicking towards him. "I assume this is not the last time we will see one another," she pondered aloud, although it was hardly a 'warm' farewell.

Her eyes settled on Mesec, and she was silent. There was something quite odd about this stallion that piqued her interest; but what exactly it was, she could not pinpoint it. Regardless, she nodded to him, "Likewise, Mesec." The Gold made a mental note to seek out the stallion at a future time, although she wasn't fully sure why.

With that, the Gold turned to Tembovu. "I'll trust your judgment when it comes to getting to the Edge before nightfall," she stated simply. The behemoth dwarfed the petite mare in size and stature, and his long strides were met with her own upbeat pace... and possibly an extra half a stride to compensate for the size difference. But in his brief pause, the Gold overtook him, and glanced over her shoulder as she continued on trotting to the west. "Well?" she huffed, "What're you stopping for?"

@[Tembovu]
WC 303 // "TALK" // THOUGHT // please tag in all replies
code copyright to inkbone