the Rift

Lost and Found

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
He walked away from the naked mare, legs heavily sinking into the earth of these new lands as exhaustion from battle sank into his frame. A wound on his withers bled sluggishly. Pink new skin itched around its edges, but the goddess’s magic had not quite sunk all the way into the bite wound, and the center was still raw flesh.

As the dark blood slowly dribbled down his massive shoulders, his deep blue eyes swept the carnage, to and fro. His buckskin coat still glows softly from the moon’s magical healing, but he pays it no mind. All are glowing and bleeding around him.

All but Rexanna. Curse that woman, why is she always so hard to find?! Frustration and fear cause his brow to crease, for the smell of his own burnt flesh had brought back flashes of memories. Memories he had worked so hard to bury- and had succeeded (mostly).

He knew what charred golden skin looked like. He knew how it cracked and softly gave beneath his muzzle. How dead flesh could be so warm-so hot. A unconscious shudder travelled over his coat as he continued to search, not allowing his eyes to blink. For he did not want to see the images that were waiting for him beneath his eyelids.

“Rexanna?!” his voice was hoarse from smoke and flame, so it did not carry as well or a deeply as it normally did. Still, he walked, further from the carnage now, nearly entering the maze.
Image Credits

ooc| For Rexanna

Please tag Tembovu.

Rexanna Posts: 499
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 7 years HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Marembo :: Marbled Polecat :: None Skylark
This whole battle was a complete mess. I wasn’t sure exactly what was going on throughout the whole thing other than trying to protect Temb, which didn’t work. By the time I reached him the battle had been over and he seemingly disappeared from my eyes in the frenzy of bodies all over. I suddenly grew angry with myself. How could I have let this happen? I mean, I wasn’t in control of the fight by any means, but how could I lose sight of him? A HUGE stag surrounded by tiny wolves? Oh yeah, that’s right. The darkness swallowed him up when the huge wolf fell on him. I wasn’t able to get into the fight much aside from stabbing the wolf in the shoulder; a feat of which I grew proud of.

My heart pounded fiercely into the pit of my chest as I searched faces of strangers in the wreckage of what was left. People were dying around me and as heartless as it seemed, I only had one on my mind. The thought of everything that had happened was excruciating in my head and it soon began to pound with the feeling of dread. I hadn’t really dealt with death first hand after being old enough. I had seen the bodies of the end of the fighting, I had seen families crying and distraught, I had seen my own flesh and blood brought down. But nothing made me more distraught than not seeing him.

How could you even lose him? Are you that fucking blind?’ My mind screamed at me as blue orbs continued to search the crowds as I passed through at a brisk pace, avoiding everything and completely forgetting anyone else. The faces I saw were nothing more than shells of people; I associated nothing with them in the hopes that the one face I saw was still containing life. Inhaling and exhaling at a dramatic pace, I froze when I heard a rumble of a voice. It didn’t sound right, but could it be?

Whipping around, I saw a face far from the crowd I had just passed through. Praying a thanks to the gods, I picked up my pace and ran straight toward my Tembovu. As I grew in closer, my pace changed. Blood still staining the tip of my horn and the chain as it bounded along with me in a frenzy. Gods he looked like hell. I guess that’s what to be expected from being underneath a god as it died. I shuddered gently at the thought, but tried not to let it affect me too much.

My eyes scanned over him in worry as I reached out my muzzle to feel him. “Temb, my god.” My voice cracked as my eyes glued to the blood I saw drenching his coat and dripping off of him. “What can I do? Do you need somebody? Fuck, I should’ve been a healer.” I cursed at myself toward the end, shaking my head and stepping closer to him. My heart beating louder and harder than ever before. “I’m so sorry, we shouldn’t have been here.” My voice trembled ever so slightly. ‘Please let him be okay.

I know a girl who shares a name with a guardian, she was a saint

Rexanna
Image Credits!
[Image: lovelyskylark.gif?8]
Permission given for moderate power play.
Feel free to use magic/force on Rexanna, without killing her.
Please tag in every post!

She was there. Gleaming and golden and thankfully, beautifully there. Alive. He reached out his broad muzzle to meet her outstretched dainty one. Plush velveteen maws pushing against each other momentarily before he slid his past hers, running it along the side of her face, down her neck, across her chest, shoulders, back, barrel, flank, haunches. Checking for blood, for injuries, for burns. Reassuring himself with touch and scent that she was there, that she was real.

Satisfied that she was whole, there, and uninjured, he took a half step away from her (though still close enough to touch her, for he wasn’t willing to be far from her) and listened to her speak. As she started to curse herself, a low bark of laughter escapes him, “My woman has a foul mouth on her, eh?” He takes the half step back to her, wanting to feel her warm, living flesh beneath his muzzle. Burying his lips in her mane, he speaks against her skin, “Love, look at me, I am fine. The goddess healed us after the battle— I’ve been worse off than this small bite. It’s half healed already,” his words mean to reassure her, even if they are an exaggeration.

But the relief of finding her unscathed fades as the reality of the battle resurfaces. Moving his mouth over the top of her neck, he hooks his jowls on her crest and roughly pulls her towards him, finally allowing his eyes to close has he holds her. Against his lids he sees scorched earth, still bodies—bodies too hot to sustain life, too burnt to be flesh.

A hiss of breath escapes him, memories hotly and rapidly pushing words out, “No, we shouldn’t have been there, Rex. You shouldn’t have been there. What were you thinking, stabbing a god?!” His booming voice is thick with both anger and fear.

He pauses, opening his agonized blue eyes, trying to stem the flood of images as he breathes in her coat, her scent. Usually it is calming, but now it only reminds him of what could have happened, what he could have lost… again. “Rexanna I-“ turmoil breaks off his words. He tries again, “I have already found the burnt body of one woman I loved… Do not make me do it again,” his words are quiet now, rumbling with emotion that he valiantly tries to keep beneath his thick hide—though he is failing miserably.
Image Credits

@Rexanna I was going to split this into 2 posts because of so many feels... but then it kept going and I couldn't stop it XD

Please tag Tembovu.

His touch was nearly reassuring enough for me to realize that he was indeed here and very much so a real being in the maze. After just seeing so many things that I didn’t understand, I was glad to have known that he was here and real and it wasn’t a figment of my imagination. My frame bore exhaustion and held a great deal of stress with tension. However, as I felt his velvet face run along my golden pelt, the tension seemed to lift. I began to relax slightly, nothing wrong with me other than a bit of blood on the tip of my horn. As he moved beside me, I allowed my nose to gently brush against his body as well; careful not to touch his wounds and cause him more pain. However, as he did a little check on my body, I got to see all of the issues wrong with his and it was almost enough to make me speechless.

My eyes were still full of worry, but my body had relaxed a little bit before he reached me once more. Far enough away for speaking, but close enough to feel if need be. Hearing his laughter at my previous words made a small smile grow on my porcelain lips. Nodding my head lightly, I wasn’t sure what to say. True, I did. But only when absolutely necessary. The smile however, began to fade gently as he stepped back into my realm of reach and comfort, feeling his broad neck wrap around me with his face buried in my dual toned mane. I pressed my head lightly into the crook of his chest, careful to not impale him with my own horn. Eyelashes brushing against his chest lightly as he spoke.

So the goddess had healed him? Good, but he still looked rough. I just nodded lightly, smudging my face against his chest with the movements. I didn’t believe that he would be entirely okay. I worried too much for that. I worried about every little detail about him, whether it be a burn like this or even a small insignificant cut. I guess I was just FULL of worry.

That was when I felt his head move away for mere moments, my own head pulling away as well in curiosity before feeling him pull me closer into him. I melted. I absolutely melted, pressing myself into him with eyes closed as he did the same for me. The warmth radiating between the two of us like a Frostfall fire. I heard as he sighed and continued about my small amount of words. They held a bit of accusing tone, but I knew by the things he was saying that he was absolutely worried and terrified for me as well. I suppose that was comfort by itself for me to know that he still cared about me so deeply.

I pulled away from him just a little bit, enough to reach out to him and gently nip at his cheek with my lips. A small smile tugging on them. “I hadn’t planned on stabbing him, honestly. You know that little white filly? Ere I think is what she told me her name was. She was running straight at him with a little piece of the wood trying to stab him in the foot. I… I was frightened for her, so I chased after her to try and stop her before Nox ran in front of me and pushed her out of the way. Then before I knew it, I sunk deep into the shoulder of the wolf. I hadn’t been PLANNING on it. But I didn’t want anything to happen to the little ivory child.” I explained gently, the smile fading toward the end of my speech. I pressed myself to him again before hearing his next set of words. The feeling enough to make me tremble with the thought. How could I have forgotten that? I nuzzled him gently before closing my eyes into him again.

Temb, I didn’t think about that. I ran in wanting to be sure that Ere was going to be okay but ended up worrying more about you. I didn’t get to you in time to help. I’m sorry. I wanted to get closer, but I was trapped on the edge.” I said with a bit of defeat that fell from my lips. My head lowered slightly before I sighed. “I was terrified of losing you.” My voice held more upset and sadness than I seemed to have in the fields where I had told him I lied to him. The thought of losing him was something more frightening to me than breaking his heart. Whether that was a good idea or not, I wasn’t so sure.

Rexanna
Image Credits!

@Tembovu ( When she speaks of Ere, she means Erthe c: )

Her playful nip at his large cheek took the edge of his anger and fear away. He listens to her speak- feels her soft body lean against his hard chest- explaining her reasons for being there. As she speaks of protecting a foal, warmth stirs in his chest. So Rexanna felt protective over a foal? The elephant hadn’t been sure Rex cared for foals.

He hadn’t been sure about anything with the golden princess. He hadn’t been sure where he stood. How she felt about him. How he felt about her. They had been in limbo.

But battle is good for making uncertainties certain. It bathes the grey areas in blood, letting them dry black and white.

The fear he had felt when seeing her on the battlefield, so close to harm, had erased the censure her lies had created in his mind. Forgiven, perhaps, is an appropriate word, but not the right one. For it was an eradication of blame more than a forgiveness of guilt.

Regardless, he closed his eyes, leaning into her soft maw as she nuzzle him. “I’m glad to hear you care for foals, Rex,” he murmured against her skin offhandedly, in the pause between her words. His tone was easy, even if the meaning behind his words held weight. But the behemoth was too contented with their survival to allow much significant to sink into them, just yet.

His eyes slowly open as she apologizes, defeat starting to sink into her delicately proud frame. Though, despite the grief that was lacing though her voice as she states her upset at not being able to protect him, he feels happiness beginning to well up. For these were not the words of a mere friend (the word drips scornfully through his skull). These were the words, the actions, of a lover.

Battle is good for making uncertainties certain.

So the elephant took her words, her fear of loosing him, her embrace and caresses. He took them and allowed himself to place them in his chest, for safe keeping. And softly (surprisingly so for the thickness of his muzzle) he lipped away her long strands of ash and cream mane. Gently, his lips trace the delicate curve of her crest, withers to poll and back. A low hum of appreciation escapes him, for her skin is smooth and scent is… Rexanna.

He is partially testing the waters, partially reveling in his revelation. “It’s okay Rex,” he placates lightly on coat, wanting to soothe her. “It will take more than a god falling on me for you to lose me,” there is dark humor in his words, on many levels. For, indeed, if not for Mauja’s fire birds, the elephant could have been lost. And Rexanna, herself, nearly lost him after telling him the truth not long ago.

But he was still there, still will her, still clinging to each other in the wake of bloodshed. Suddenly an idea comes to him. A symbol, something to remind her of- of this. “My golden princess, I have something for you.”
Image Credits

@Rexanna I did not proofread this ;-;

Please tag Tembovu.

I felt him lean into me and my worries seemed to quickly melt away. I wasn’t worried about anything anymore. He seemed to be alright from the burns and scarring he had endured from the fight, enough so to swallow me up with him in this little limbo of content and happiness. I breathed a sigh of relief, feeling him reciprocate the feelings even more, and I began to smile into him. Then I heard his voice gentle but calm, speaking into my skin. “I’m glad to hear you care for foals, Rex.” and with that short phrase, I realized I hadn’t told him the truth before. I hadn’t told him about everything I had endured in my life and why I was the way I was. Perhaps now would be a wonderful time to start.

I nodded slowly, pressed up against his chest for a few moments before feeling his lips trace over my mane and withers, causing a gentle sensation of pure happiness to creep down my spine. I shivered slightly, and listened as he replied back to the last few words I had said. He was right. It would take more than a god falling on him to lose him. Mainly because I’d more than likely go absolutely insane as well and have nothing more in mind than to kill the god that had done this. I nodded to him, but said nothing. I wasn’t sure exactly what to say. I didn’t want to evoke worry into him that if I lost him I might as well be shipped off the lands because I’d be known as the one who went insane.

Clinging to him, I couldn’t help but want to be closer. All of the time apart was beginning to take a toll on me that I wasn’t sure how to handle. I heard his next set of words about a gift for me and my ears perked gently. Oh, so he had a gift for me as well? I had one for him but I was entirely unsure of timing and whether or not I should give it to him or not. I had found it previously just after the fight before searching for my warrior of a lover.

First, I want to say that I love foals. I just.. I have a hard time being around them for awhile.” I said softly, slight defeat rushing through my lungs. I pulled my head back and gazed at his broad face; blue orbs searching his sapphire ones. “I suppose now is a great way to let you in on my past that I wasn’t so entirely honest about beforehand.” A slight smile traced the corner of my maw, a little joke that still carried pain behind it was very noticeable in this moment. I looked away from him for a few moments to gather my thoughts, staring off behind his shoulder at the towering bamboo from the maze around us.

Inhale… Exhale… Inhale…

Back home, where I’m from, I wasn’t exactly a princess.” Beginning, I held off a sharp edge to my words. “I was a servant child. I had grown up serving my kingdom and the King himself. We were a land full of Equines that had dedicated the Uni’s as their Kings and Queens. But I was different, you know? I have a horn after all. I didn’t fit in. So growing up I always found this to be strange and the King always held some distaste for me. My mother had told me it was because a poor servant child had been born with a horn and that stopped all my questioning. However, at this point when I was serving the King, there had been talks going around. The neighboring land of the North which was inhabited entirely by Pegasi had been thinking of attacking us for our resources. So our King had reached out to them in hopes of negotiation.

I paused, pain slightly crossing over my blue gaze as I spoke of the North. I lowered my head ever so slightly, almost afraid to look at Tembovu in the eye. “There was a problem with the negotiating. The only way the King of the North would consider it, is to combine the lands with a princess for his son. But the King hadn’t any children, as far as I knew. There wasn’t a Queen although many had spoke of her hushed around me and I never really knew why. Then my King had brought me to speak with him in private. During that time, he told me that I had been the princess he had with the Queen – My true mother – and during birth, I had killed her with my horn. Apparently it had grown more than most do at birth and it had detrimental effects.” I rolled my shoulders slightly, growing more uncomfortable at every pause.

So, he introduced me then to the life of a Princess. The land growing to know that I had been the princess in hiding because of my deeds an innocent child had done. Though as I found out later, I was – absolutely – innocent. Now, as you can imagine, the King of the North was very suspicious. As should anyone be, really. It was very… strange. Either way, I ended up moving to the North. It was chilled, like the Basin. Snowy and full of crevices and caves as sleeping places. That’s where I met the Prince of the North. He was… kind for the most part. I don’t know, I felt so much pressure to continue the legacy with the Prince to make the King and Queen happy. After about a year, I ended up pregnant with his child.” Muttering toward the end, I nearly felt blind and blurred thinking back to it and nearly reliving it.

They had... such interesting powers. They had fire breathers, creatures that could make anything grow that they wished. I was surprised by most of what I saw, but nothing was more surprising than the Prince’s. He could invade your mind and live your life and find memories you never even knew you had. It was such a terrible, dreadful experience, Temb. It was so painful and terrifying, seeing your life literally flash before your eyes nearly in death’s grip. That’s when we found out that I hadn’t killed my mother. As it turns out, my mother The Queen of the East had slept with the general of our military. And that’s how I came to be.

Looking up to study his face, I offered a small half of a smile. “If anything I was only ever half of a princess. Half of military. Entirely a mistake.” My defeat was felt with each pause of my words. “And after that experience, I was traumatized. In pain, broken, terrified. I – I ended up losing the child. I lost him because I couldn’t protect him from the ways of his father.” The thought was fluttering through my mind, remembering the heartbreak of the miscarriage. It had been nearly two years since then. The poor child wasn’t even fully grown. I was unable to carry him to term, but I knew deep down that he was going to be a little boy. I never named the child, I wasn’t sure if I should have. Nor did I ever tell the Prince. Not since I had been banished. “They invaded the East and killed nearly anyone there that sided with the King. I was banished, but still carried a bounty on my head. I did my best to evade it and become someone else to not fit the description that had gone through the lands I was in.

Heaving a heavy sigh, I pushed myself to him again. Crowned head brushing up against his darkened pelt of his chest. “I didn’t even name him, Temb. I couldn’t – I didn’t know what to do.” My words became more jumbled as the story went on, my phrases pausing in weird breaks as to not allow me to cry. But I kept the lump in my throat and swallowed quickly in the attempts to keep it from surfacing. This wasn’t supposed to be my pity party – but he needed to know the truth. And there’s nothing more saddening about my life than the absolute truth that I was terrified to speak of.

Rexanna
Image Credits!

@Tembovu HOLY CRAP HUGE POSTIE

She clung to him— at first he thought of out fear. But as her hold increased in its intensity, and she began to speak of foals… He realized that her own demons were clawing through her mind just as his were in the wake of the inferno. As she mentions her previous dishonesty, he cannot help the rigidity and flare of anger that passes through him— despite her smile. For that wound, though paling in the comparison of the gaping hole losing Rexanna would cause, was still fresh and not quite healed. But the temper passed, fading into insignificance as her voice softly sounded against him.

The floodgates had opened.

Calmly, comfortingly he stands in silence, holding her as she tells her past. Discomfort radiates from her, vibrating into his hide as she tells of her true mother. And her lamentable death. ”I was – absolutely – innocent.” He listened, nodded, hearing anger beneath the layers of confusion and sadness in her words. Absentmindedly, he ran his massive, loosely spiraled horn against her slender, tightly spiraled one as she spoke of it. It made a gentle clinking noise as the golden chain he had collected and wrapped tightly around it’s length contacted the rounded ridges of her golden spear.

The motion was unconscious, yet meant to be comforting. Wordlessly saying that he found her horn lovely, perfect even, despite its darkly traumatic entry to life. He cocked his head ever so slightly as she compared her Northern Land to the Basin. Why would she wish to be in the Basin, then? If it was so like this the North of her past, that she escaped? Once again, the familiar feeling of betrayal stirred in him, as he was reminded that she chose the Basin over him. But it was easily tamped down in the face of her opening up to him.

Opening up once more. Like a flower to the sun. Again, he was the sun to his Rexanna. He had been so many things in his life— manipulator, politician, pawn, brute strength— but only once before Helovia had he been a force of good. Of growth. That had been to his family, to his mare and son.

He abruptly stopped emanating comfort as she spoke of a foal. She had said before that she hadn’t had a foal. He took a step backwards, needing to watch her, see her, study her face. To see the truth she spoke, see her face. Perhaps it was slightly masochistic, for he could recognize a mirrored loss in one’s soul. The loss of a child weighs so heavily.

Then as she spoke of the northern prince’s powers, he grew rigid, muscles taut. That power… It was Tembovu’s greatest nightmare. For his own mind often trapped him in his past. For someone to have the power to do it at a whim? A great shudder passed through the massive stallion. He reached out, pressed the side of his muzzle against hers. To soothe her, to comfort himself.

He closes his eyes. She lost her child, as he had seen in her eyes as he studied her. “Rexanna,” he pauses, breaking his long stretch of silence, “You cannot, must not, blame yourself for the death of your son. It is a dark and dangerous path, without light or help,” he stops himself, for even at the mere mention of that road, he can feel its pull. He can feel the snake in his barrel start to uncoil, stretching lazily. Who will we destroy today? He pushes it down, into the hole where his dark, painful memories live.

“And you are so much more than ‘half a princess’,” he rumbles, stepping into her once again as her pale, elegantly lined face brushes against the hard blackness of his chest. “To have survived that— to have moved past and thrived in a new land. Without vengeance or revenge,” he held her tighter, “That is the mark of a worthy, deserving soul.” Quietly he finishes, a pregnant pause loading the air as he sighs a deep breath.

“I have felt your loss. Our loss. I followed it to destruction. Used it as a vendetta to destroy an empire. Yes, I brought down those responsible for the death of Mara and Faxr,” his eyes blaze against the black markings, for he had not spoken their names aloud in so very long, “But to what end? I destroyed lives. Lives of greedy, corrupt leaders. But also lives of innocents. And what did I honor in my crusade of justice? Was that honoring their memory? Would they be happy to see the ruins of an empire, its citizens left in the wreckage?” His angry, broken tirade ended as his emotions caught up with his throat, closing it for a few moments.

“So, I think you are a much better being than I, for how you handled this… this indescribable loss,” the emotion has quieted out of his voice now. He is moving his head, slowly unwrapping the glittering chain from his the thickness of his horn, “You are the rose to my thorn,” a slight amount of humor enters his eyes, his face, as he continues with his task. It is not an easy feat, for the loops of chain are twisted and tangled.

He finally manages to remove it, and it slides down his broad face into the grass at his feet. He looks deeply into her lovely teal gaze. “So my golden princess, I give you this befitting golden chain,” he picks it up shockingly delicately into his lips. Ever so gently, he hooks it into her forelock, tangling it into the long strands. His lips brush the thin, delicate skin behind her ears with care. He finishes, and pulls back to see his handiwork, “To remind you that, within yourself, You can be honest. You are precious. You are loved.”
image credits
- table by Niki -

@Rexanna

Please tag Tembovu.

one day we’ll reveal the truth,
that one will die before he gets there.
I felt him shift as I spoke of my past. To and fro almost unsure of what he should do. In the end, however, he did what I needed him to do the most. Love. His husky voice breathed my name and my ears perked in his direction, the feathery tips brushing against his pelt. As he spoke of not blaming myself I just nodded. I knew I had lied about never having children before, but it wasn’t entirely a lie. I had a child that didn’t even breathe. How was that for really birthing an offspring? It wasn’t. And it would take a lot for me to realize that it really wasn’t my fault. Deep down, I knew that I couldn’t do anything against it. However, perhaps if I hadn’t given into the pressure of his parents, we wouldn’t have ended up there in the first place? Maybe – just maybe – I wouldn’t have turned out the way I did.

I knew regret would bring me down a darkened path. And I was sure that Tembovu didn’t realize that I became the way I was to prevent myself from heading in that direction. It was such a complex issue with problems tearing at each edge, searing the corners in a fit of emotion that seemed almost unnatural. I didn’t cry. No. I couldn’t. I had already cried so many tears over him that no more needed to fall. I accepted the fact that I couldn’t care for him and so I moved on; or so I thought. Bringing it back up just flashed the memories back in front of my aqua eyes. Brought back only by Temb’s voice. Feeling his chest engulf me like a fire, I melted. As he spoke of thriving, I said nothing. Was I really thriving? Or playing off of other’s weaknesses? I was a coward, always had been. I couldn’t stand up for anything. And it showed when I chose the Basin over him which I knew was still salt in the wound I caused.

He spoke more, of feeling the loss and vengeance. I nodded to him, partially glad to finally have a name for his fallen family. However, revenge is a firestorm in itself. It’s a wonder he didn’t devolve and cripple himself in the process of losing something so close to him. He got his vengeance and perhaps it was enough – or was it? Ears twitching more as he stopped speaking abruptly, noticeably due to the blockage in his throat of emotion. A train of anger and rage quickly ended by a dam of tears and regret that I knew all too well. I could do nothing but to watch his broad face, eyes just as sad as his in the heat of this moment.

So, I think you are a much better being than I, for how you handled this… this indescribable loss.

No. It wasn’t true. Did he not understand what I did? The things I did to others or did to myself because of it? Sure. I didn’t destroy cities and take anyone’s last breath from them. However, I did place my body as a way for others emotions. I laid it out and I was broken because of it. He didn’t understand. And would be ever? A flicker of frustration passed through my eyes as I turned my gaze away from his striking sapphire ones. Sighing to myself, trying not to let the anger that built up inside me explode on the one person I truly loved in my life. I couldn’t speak. I couldn’t think. My attention was lost in mere moments before my chime of a voice erupted, speaking words I couldn’t withhold. I completely missed the point he had about being the thorn to his rose.

Am I really a better person, Temb? I destroyed people’s happiness. In my moments of fear of losing my head, I chose to give up others? I’m a thief. I steal people’s happiness and joy away and watch with a fucking pit of excitement as they notice it’s gone. Nobody expects the woman in the white dress to steal their lifes work. I’m nothing to be proud of. I surely didn’t thrive. I chose to portray myself as someone else entirely to hide myself. When they brought the militaries into the lands I was in, I proved myself to be someone else. When they looked for me and my god forsaken markings that – let me add – literally no one else has, they found me. They always did. I couldn’t hide. Instead, I turned to sleeping with guards and the fucking military to keep them from taking me. Was it in my best interest? No. It wasn’t. But it protected me. I was selfish. I became someone I never thought I would. Growing up, I knew those mares and stallions that relied on others for their wellbeing despite caring for others and I always frowned upon them.

Heaving a hefty sigh, I turned my head away from him; frustration glaring at each corner in my mind. ‘Why are you so upset?’ I thought to myself, shaking my head and shifting my weight. My tail lashing behind me in a fit of upset that seemed so childish in this moment. But I couldn’t help it. I couldn’t help but to get this feeling out of me before it destroyed me.

I turned into them, Temb. I did it to you. The one fucking thing I care about and I did it to you. Telling you what you wanted to hear. And if there’s one thing I regret in my life, it’s what I did to you. But I’m nothing to be praised about. I’m nothing to be proud of. I’m just – nothing.” Defeat fell within my voice as my rampage dissipated nearly as quickly as it came. Shame shrouded me. What could I say now?

Then I felt that feeling in my throat, the blockage. Unable to speak anything for a while. Eyes closed, head lowered. Forelock covering my face in a messy tangle. I looked like a mess and I honestly felt like it. After a few moments, I blinked, eyes opening, blockage passed. “I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to – I didn’t mean to freak out like that. I just… Haven’t ever told anyone. I don’t know what got into me. I wasn’t thinking. Please, I’m sorry.” Terror flashing into my voice, trembling and stuttering. Right when things were about to get better, I go and fuck it up again.

I was scared to look at him.

I was scared that he would just leave as quickly as he came.

But after the moments passed, I moved closer to him, pressing myself into him again. Hoping to show him the true passion behind my words as I felt his voice reach me. ‘So my golden princess. I give you this befitting golden chain.’ Attention was brought to him again. Fear and upset wilting away like a leaves during autumn. Watching as the chain fell to my feet. A small smile finding its way to the corners of my lips, hoping he wouldn’t pull the gift away from me with an afterthought of my outburst.

Then he attached it and the feeling of more chains dancing along my face and horn added more to my elegance. The elegance from my elephant. I wondered how he got the trinket and how long he had it before giving it to me. Before I thought about the gift I had him. I figured I would wait and see his reaction before giving him the gift I had found fitting for him. It would probably make for a good apology afterward.

I turned my head, feeling the shift of the small weight of my chains along my forehead, feeling ever more so at home than I had in so long. “Are you sure? I didn’t mean to burst out at you like that… You can take it back if you like, I’d understand.” My voice was hushed, darkened by the regret that flashed through my ocean eyes before my gaze fell to the feet of the elephant yet again.

'You are precious, you are loved.'

"Talk?"
image credits

@Tembovu

As he watches her, she appears nearly repulsed by his words. She did not think of herself as or ‘better’ or even ‘good’. This was obvious to the stallion. Obvious before she began speaking of using her body to sleep with infantry in order to keep herself safe. Keep herself alive.

Tembovu knew soldiers had needs. He knew it, had seen it in his own troops. He had been fine with it, as long as his warriors had not forced themselves on the mares. Most were willing participants anyhow. Who doesn’t love a soldier? But there was something about this that send waves of tingling repulsion down his spine.

He was not repulsed by Rexanna (though the idea of her being mounted by others did enrage him slightly). He was repulsed at himself. For he had been on the other end of her story. He had been the stallion who slept with a mare to get information, get her to divulge secrets. At the time, it had been a means to an end. His vengeance had been driving his body, dictating his actions. There was nothing but cold empty loss in him.

Only now was he seeing the result of his actions. Of any stallion’s actions who used a mare so easily. ‘I am nothing.’

His jaw clenches and a muscle ticks as she speaks so lowly, so deprecatingly  about herself. He opens his mouth to speak, but bites back his words as a torrent of uncertainty and apology leave her mouth. Does he want it back? “No.” The word is out of his mouth before he can chase any other thoughts that are swirling in his mental tangle. It is the only clear, concise thought he has, “I want you to keep it,” his words are deep, almost angry and hurt at the thought of her giving the chain back to him.

He shifts, wanting to rein in this vast amount of emotion. He had never felt such a breadth of fire before. His had always been a easy burn with Mara and a cold burn of revenge. This was something new, entirely. “Firstly, Rexanna, do not speak of yourself as ‘nothing.’ I have lost almost everything I value in this life. So do not— do not ever— refer to yourself as nothing. Because you are something— something I value so greatly. Do not insult me by calling that worthless,” his words a deep and firm, anger putting a timber in his tone.

“And that you both realize and regret treating me as you have. In a way- I might add- that has kept you alive this long,” his voice grows quiet at the thought, for he isn’t sure how to balance the anger at the stallions who have used her with the relief that using her in that way has kept her alive, “It shows that you are absolutely not them.”

He grows quiet for a while. His black tail swishing at his thick hocks in thought. The burn of his withers has begun to sink in, as has the pale sting of new flesh that covered his back and haunches. The adrenaline, the threatening depression, and fear of loss. They all have wrenched the elephant raw. He feels the needed, the longing, for soothing and reassurance. The touch of a woman— of Rexanna.

So he takes his steps back to his golden princess. Newly adorned with a golden veil that she could hide her demons behind. But he knew her now, knew what was behind the mask he gave her.

Leaning his massive weight into her, he runs his giant head against her neck, her side. Seeking comfort and the smoothness of her silken skin against his burned hide. Deeply, he breathes in her scent. It is a balm and aphrodisiac, “Hmm, my princess,” his murmur is a low rumble against her side. A mumbled appreciation for all that is Rexanna.
image credits
- table by Niki -

@Rexanna

Please tag Tembovu.

Feeling a shift in the air, I knew the things I had said began to trouble him. I tried to be patient with myself, but I quickly grew angry with my outbursts. This isn’t how I imagined it to go. I surely didn’t imagine me telling him about my past in such a rush – especially with him burned the way he was. Ears flickered with my frustrations, but perked to him when he spoke. “No. I want you to keep it.” Relief swallowed me and I shook my head a little, feeling the little pieces of golden chain dangle across my face. Now that was fit for a Queen.

Blue eyes danced with a slight twinkle of happiness as I gazed at him. However, it was quickly shifted with a slight amount of concern. His voice grew firm, nearly reprimanding me. Ears flickered back and forth with a hint of uncertainty with each word he said, as I waited with baited breath; knowing full well that the things he said weren’t meant to anger me, but to instead show me how much he did love me with the underlying tones and hints. As he spoke of his losses, he brought me into it. Showing me that I was definitely something to him. And that was really all I needed.

The compliments didn’t end there, however. Explaining to me that I wasn’t the people I regretted the most since I did it with concern for my wellbeing. I only nodded, staying silent the entire time. Enjoying the moment, regardless if his voice was fierce with a hint of anger and angst beneath him. Despite the words he said, I wondered what he had been thinking behind it all. Regardless, he approached me again, pressing into me so gently. His tough and rough skin against my porcelain smooth coat. Tan and Champagne mixing well within the light of the Labyrinth. I nodded to him, pressing my face against his as he wished. Feeling his massive head rub against my neck and it instantly pushed all my thoughts away.

I needed him.

And I knew then that he needed me.

I appreciated the movement, feeling his breath against my neck and side, speaking to me as his princess and I just nuzzled him back. A small smile on my face knowing he was alive and well and happy. I breathed in his own scent, smelling a mix of salt and mystifying curiosities that I was sure had to be from the Edge. I appreciated every moment and scent of him. I just loved him.

I just didn’t want to say it. Not yet.

Instead, I pressed into him again before pulling away gently. “Thank you, my elephant.” I smiled to him, a small humorous twinkle in my eye. “It means the world to me.” Pausing slightly, I reached around, feeling a small item intertwined in my mane that I had found while exploring that I knew was absolutely perfect for him. “Now, I say my elephant because I, too, have a gift for you.” I said calmly, though the humor dancing with my voice in the means of how we both ended up with a gift that fit each other.

Reaching for the item, I nipped at it, pulling it out of my mane ever so gently. I carried it in my lips gently as to not cut myself with it, before pulling my gold adorned head back to face him. Smiling, while also carrying a small trinket for him. A single lion’s claw. Something that would grace him in both power, loyalty, and kindness. Something I knew instantly was him.  Aqua eyes watching him with pure and innocent happiness.

"Talk?"
image credits

@Tembovu

The tension left his shoulders and back as she nuzzled him. He felt her barrel move against the side of his cheek as she took in his own scent. He felt a primal pull in his loins as she pushed her soft flesh against his hard, burned body. And then— then she was pulling away from him?

He felt the loss of her warmth and satin comfort acutely, gaze snapping open in confusion. He had thought they were moving closer towards each other, not putting space between them. He wanted her body very close to his, in the current moment. Eyes, dark blue with desire and feeling, study her humorous smile— and he cannot help his own, nonplussed smile in return. Though he has no idea what he is grinning about. A gift? For him?

He continues to watch her, aroused eyes appreciating the svelte curve of her cream and golden neck as she bends to dislodge something from her mane. His eyes trace the delicate sinew shimmering beneath the silken skin, distracted from whatever she is actually retrieving.

Though his mind abruptly clears from the wanton fog as the lion’s claw comes sharply into focus. He studies it for a moment, face blank and body frozen. His eyes flick to hers, seeing her innocent and happy smile forming around the gift in her mouth. His gift. From her. A gift with meaning— that she saw him through his demons and ghosts and pleasant, moody facade. Saw his outward and inner strength and the power of his kind loyalty.

In a way, it showed him that her choice was him. Not Caleb. Not the Basin. Despite her outward choices. For to give a gift like this showed so much more connection— inward connection and devotion to him. His heart, scarred and burnt— once so hesitant to feel this burn of emotion again— leapt willing into flame. It pounded, almost painfully, in his chest.

Still silent, he moved, bowing his head to pick up a scrap of leather that must have been shredded from someone’s armor or satchel during the fight. Biting it down to a shorter length, he dexterously used his lips to weave it firmly at its base. His thick, soft mouth brushing gently against her dainty, velveteen lips. He watched her eyes during his task, overwhelming intimacy in their closeness. His intent gaze says the thanks that his words cannot.

Then he bows his great head before her, waiting for her to place her gift around his neck. Slowly straightening his neck as she does, he still stays quiet for a moment longer.

“My namesake is the elephant,” he says quietly, deep voice thick with emotion? Longing? Perhaps both. It is all he can think to say, before swiftly moving to envelop her into his body. The elephant is properly overwhelmed, now. Though one thing has become clear, he is hers and she is his. That is the only thing solid and concrete in the havoc of Helovia. “Rexanna, I need you,” his voice is lower, thicker now, as he moves beside her. He needs affirmation. Affirmation of life, of them, of everything.

When the heart is on fire,
stop chasing the rain.
image |Table

ooc| Sorry for the wait, and for this overdramatic post. DRAMALLAMA XD
and yes, I know the leather thing was a bit of a stretch… oops… sorrynotsorry @Rexanna

Please tag Tembovu.

I watched him, waiting in entire excitement and happiness as his eyes lit up with just as much excitement as I had. This couldn’t have gone better, especially not after my outburst at him. Still lightly cursing myself for my upset, it was quickly melted away by just how he reacted to the little claw that sat between my lips. My smile curling up slightly more with a feeling of pride deep within my body. A slight hint of longing growing in the pit of my stomach as he approached closer, reaching down to the ground to reach for a stray piece of leather. As he began to wrap it around the claw, I felt his lips touch my own and my heart jumped.

I honestly never felt like this before.

Never before had such a simple movement caused such a stir for me emotionally. I melted, I felt as though I was lighter than air. Perhaps this is what Pegasi felt like when they flew? If so, it was a feeling I truly longed for. A feeling that I finally had.

I stayed still as I could as he wrapped it around, his creativity showing with the adjustment to the trinket. Then he pulled his head down so I could loop it over his head. As I did so, the trinket sat upon his neck for mere moments before I reached over and tugged on it, pulling it down so it reached the middle of his chest, slight movements brushing against his pelt as I watched my gift slide into place upon my Elephant.

Then he spoke and I smiled to him, not even knowing that others had called him the Elephant beforehand. I figured it had been such a great nickname, but perhaps I wasn’t the only one. I smiled to him, noting the change in his voice and my heart flaring with excitement. “Is it really? I thought I was being creative.” I laughed quietly to myself before smiling to him. He moved closer, wrapped me up in him and the warm heat from his charred skin and the body heat from my excitement mixing in pleasingly content way.

He then moved beside me and I pressed against him, our skin rubbing against one another ever so gently, the cream and golds on my pelt meshing with his tan and blackened ones. I reached my head to him, nipping playfully at his withers and shoulder, careful of his wounds. “Rexanna, I need you.” I heard him say, his voice lower. Pressing the side of my face against him gently, I only nodded. “I need you too, my love.” I spoke into his hide, breathless and happy all the same.

"Talk?"
image credits

@Tembovu

YOURE FINE <3 it was absolutely perf XD i was wondering how he'd attach it XD

“I need you too, my love,” his elephantine heart pounds harder in his deep chest, beneath her lion claw. Despite her words and gifts, he could never be entirely certain what his Rexanna would do— he now knew that she cared for him. That her feelings ran deeper; were more than the superficial lust they had felt on the beach. There had been glimmers of something more then, but now he knows that the glimmers were a steady burn of fire.

But, still, he is never certain as to what she would do. Feelings and actions and words could all reside in entirely different worlds. Sometimes (hopefully) they collided. But his gilded princess has revealed that she had lived a life where she had kept them separate in order to survive.

So, at her invitation, spoken with soft cream lips into the thickness of his hide, he grins. His eyes darken at her sensuously teasing nips, thick hide twitching with impatience between her pearly teeth— forgotten are the burns and wounds of battle. “Creative?” his voice rumbles lowly against her satin coat as he addresses her earlier words. He traces the curves of her barrel and flank with his lips, thick horn brushing against the top of her haunches.

Onyx lips and pale muzzle continue their exploration, similarly hued legs stepping around as he traces the line muscle in her haunches. He pauses, “Rexanna, I’d like to see how creative you can be,” he growls against her, roughly and playfully tugging the cream strands of her tail.

———fade to black———

He slides down beside her, buckskin coat nearly dark brown and slick with sweat. He sighs contentedly, brushing his wet shoulder against hers as he gently unsticks tendrils of mane from her neck with his muzzle. The brunt of emotions and lingering fervor of battle had caused him to be rougher and more powerful than he usually was with his slender Rexanna. “Are you okay?” he asks quietly, almost guiltily, amidst her mane.
When the heart is on fire,
stop chasing the rain.
image |Table

@Rexanna

Please tag Tembovu.