the Rift

:: Q&A ::

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow
Oops - sorry Jen, you were right, I was wrong! (I usually am xD)

I have a question as well, and it's pretty stupid so I'm reluctant to ask it but it's driving me crazy hunting the site to find the answer D: My question is - do battle buffs stack? Like, if you've earned up to Dance, do your stats get the +1 endurance, then +1 speed, then +1 strength, then +1 agility added, or do the later ones override the previous ones?

The reason I ask is that when I first joined, I'm sure there was a rule that you had to choose which buffs you wanted to use in each fight - so you couldn't have Endure, Swift, Bulk and Dance active at the same time in one fight even if you'd earned them, you had to choose two (I think it was). This was pre-stats, when buffs were written in posts rather than applying to stats, so I'm wondering if this is still the case? I'm pretty sure it isn't, as the higher-buffed characters do have stats that reflect all of their buffs, but I've confused myself into a big pile about it so I'm hoping for a definitive answer to put my mind at ease xD

Thanks in advance and sorry for the sheer stupidity of the question, it seems so obvious and yet I'm SURE I once read that you had to choose your buffs and the fact I now can't find that is confusing the ass off me >.>

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Time the Dice Queen Posts: 144
OOC Account atk: 50 | def: 50 | dam: 50
Mare :: Other :: 5'7 :: 22 HP: 5050 | Buff: DROPKICK
Time
Battle buffs stack, yes! Each one you earn is added into your stats and makes you a "stronger" character. You no longer need to specify which buff you are using with the dice and stats system--they all count in.

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow
Phew, thanks Time! I can finally relax and stop hunting the site to find the answer xD

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
Yes makes sense, thanks Blu!

Please tag Tembovu.

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan
I think this has been discussed before but I never remember if there were any definite answers or no..

How long would it generally take to walk vs fly from the Threshold to the various herds?

I know it's said Helovia is roughly the size of the US, but that's a bit too vague for my brain to comprehend. Might be a matter of scale too? I mean... big here in vikingland isn't necessary the same as big over yonder. x3

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Alune Posts: 65
World's Edge Seer atk: 5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.3 :: 6 HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Nova
Is the landscape of Helovia similar to rl (average sized trees/flora/fauna - nothing too crazy or mythical) or is it like LOTR - giant trees/groves and their general fantasy landscapes?
[Image: QsJIY4g.png]
"I have seen the movement of the sinews of the sky,
 And the blood coursing in the veins of the moon."

force & violence permitted on Alune at all times
with the exception of maiming and death

Blu the Bootyful Posts: 443
Administrator atk: 99 | def: 99 | dam: 99
Mare :: Other :: 5'7" :: 25 HP: 99999 | Buff: TWERK
Blu
Roughly horses can travel 40-50 miles in a day on average. The US is ~2,500 miles east to west, and ~1,500 miles north to south. So realistically moving from any land to another would take several days on Helovia, and crossing the realm several weeks to months. However you'll see that this is really hardly ever incorporated into posts because it puts too many restraints on things and ruins the beauty of liquid time. The realm has been described as being so large specifically to allow so many different biomes - even with all the horses we have they really wouldn't need this much land space, albeit horses are destructive to the lands they graze on, but having enough space for all the herds was another reason.

Helovia is mostly realistic with some mythical flora and fauna mixed in, which is generally how I consider LOTR to be - they had quite few mythical races and creatures, but there was really nothing so insane as say Narnia or even Harry Potter. There should be a flora and fauna guide in the guidebook :)

Tamme would know both these answer best, she may have some input as well~
 HP: 1100

Helovia Hard Mode

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah
Can a character with shapeshifting use their other magics while in their shifted form? If possible, I'd imagine it would be very tiring for them so probably not for very long but overall I just wasn't sure if it was possible to use 2 (or more) different magics at the same time
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Tae Posts: 133
Dragon's Throat Alchemist atk: 7.0 | def: 10 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 2 HP: 72.5 |
Mal :: Timber Wolf :: Terrorize & Hel :: Royal Hellhound :: Hellfire Odd
@Mesec

Yep you can!

Tamme the Tempting Posts: 140
Administrator
Mare :: Other :: 2 :: 2 HP: 9001 | Buff: Admin
Tamme
Blu said it perfectly here: Roughly horses can travel 40-50 miles in a day on average. The US is ~2,500 miles east to west, and ~1,500 miles north to south. So realistically moving from any land to another would take several days on Helovia, and crossing the realm several weeks to months. However you'll see that this is really hardly ever incorporated into posts because it puts too many restraints on things and ruins the beauty of liquid time. The realm has been described as being so large specifically to allow so many different biomes - even with all the horses we have they really wouldn't need this much land space, albeit horses are destructive to the lands they graze on, but having enough space for all the herds was another reason.

Each land is a bit different! Read the description on the board and then you can see if it's more realistic or fantasy related. However, LOTR/Middle Earth is very earthen. Most of the "magic" elements of things were small objects imbued with power (like our enchanted items). We also have races of dragons flying around, so it's pretty fantasy oriented already! Just read the land descriptions carefully and it'll tell you.

@Alune

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan
What are the restrictions for the new Mutation applicators? Ie what can/can't they do? Are they genetic, so that the traits will pass down to foals, or are they personal only?

:D

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Good questions!

1. they are only genetic if you have foal stats and can design your own baby!
2. they can be almost anything, just talk to an admin first and let us know what you are doing
3. the non-peg partial wings would be gliding rules only, like usual and would NOT be passed on
4. non-unicorn horns would be weak/ineffective in battle and would NOT be passed on

They are mainly for things like fangs, elongated ears, crystal dermatitis (what I call crystals growing on ponies), primitive/early horse style hooves with tons of toes, full on lion's manes, elbow feathers/crests, dragon spines, scaly skin, etc, etc, etc

Ki'irha Posts: 176
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 5 years old HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Noella
*pouts* I'm untaggable. Does anyone have suggestions on how it can be corrected? If not that's alright, it would just make life easier.
[Image: 5581b91112f69]
Colored by Kels ♡
Lines by Bronzehalo

Please Tag Me ○ Permission for magic and injury is granted. Just no death or permanent harm.
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
This tagging plugin cannot handle "complex names" *kicks it* Possible our old one could, I don't remember. It probably did? On the other hand, it spammed your inbox as it could re-tag you.

Funny thing is, this isn't even the tagging plugin we're supposed to be using- it's just that they haven't updated the one I ideally want for MyBB 1.8, and one that is similar requires PHP 5.4 or higher, and we're running PHP 5.3.something and when we tried upgrading it broke the image uploader links! Fun times all around.

I'll look into it and see if I can fix it myself...
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Administrator
Tamme
Yeah, we won't be able to upgrade to PHP 5 on this server because the image uploader will fail completely and it'll affect other sites/stuff that are hosted by it. I think eventually it can be upgraded but not soon. Best thing to do, I think, if neo can't fix it, is to just request for the admin to change your account name to something without symbols -shrugs-

Administrator
Tamme
Neo fixed it :D

Nymeria Posts: 182
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2hh :: 3 years HP: 69.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Lilómiel :: Plain Black Dragon :: Fire Breath Wanderer
When will invasions be finalized/be added to the guidebook?

Yes I lied, don't think about you all the time
All my switchblade words ain't aim to cut your sweet delusions

Odd the doer of things Posts: 115
Administrator atk: 23 | def: 42 | dam: 108
Mare :: Other :: 5"2 :: 27 HP: 108 | Buff: badass
Odd
@Nymeria : as soon as we're done writing them :)

We don't have a timeline. We are working on it, but there's a lot of kinks to work out. We hope to have things unveiled soon - I think we're still aiming for revealing stage 1 sometime in January!

Psilo Posts: 0
OOC Account
Filly :: Other :: 5'6" :: March of 1990
--
I hope i'm not asking a question already answered...

How many miles is an inch on the map?
You know, like one inch is sixty miles type thing. I forgot what it's called because i'm being dumb. A key or a legend or something? IDFK... anyways.

That.

I'm always struggling with how long it would take my character to travel from here to there. The distance would help judge that, i think. Thanks <33

ALSO, just thought of this.
Does Helovia have only footpaths or are there wider dirt/cobblestone/whatever type roads for important places (ie. herdlands)?

Odd the doer of things Posts: 115
Administrator atk: 23 | def: 42 | dam: 108
Mare :: Other :: 5"2 :: 27 HP: 108 | Buff: badass
Odd
@Psilo

Well the map wasn't really made to scale, so your question is sort of hard to answer. But imagine it's the size of North America. Given that we're magical ponies and what not, we usually say a 1-2 weeks to get across. But that's why we have liquid time and are loose about this in most instances, so that it doesn't hinder game play.

Given how often certain paths are traveled (like up to the Heavenly Fields), those would be worn down and fairly obvious. But no, I don't believe that there are any actual 'roads' .