the Rift

:: Q&A ::

Shady Posts: 0
OOC Account
Mare :: Other :: 16.3 hh :: 21
Shady
So I've been looking at the Guidebook and the Battle Rubric, but since there have recently been updates, I wanted to clear this up 100% for myself before I go unintentionally penalizing my own characters!

1. I know the guide says that for challenges, a character cannot challenge/be challenged within 7 days of the final rubric being posted for that fight. Is this the same for regular spars, or does the "one spar a week" rule mean no new spars until one week after the starting date of a spar? Since challenges are guaranteed to finish on a much faster timeline than spars, I thought it might be different, but I wasn't quite sure.

2. There's a new (yes?) -10 HP penalty for ending a spar on the ground/lying down/etc. Does this apply on top of the auto forfeit if a character passes out? Or if a character passes out and auto forfeits, is that just the end of the fight, with no further HP deductions? Since characters passing out at ranges under 15 HP might actually be in danger of dying with the -10 HP penalty if theirs is low enough, I want to make sure I don't accidentally kill off any of mine in battle *coughs*Gull*coughs*

Thanks in advance for the help and for all you've been doing to improve the battle system :D

Blu the Bootyful Posts: 443
Administrator atk: 99 | def: 99 | dam: 99
Mare :: Other :: 5'7" :: 25 HP: 99999 | Buff: TWERK
Blu
Revising my previous response since I quickly wrote it at work and later thought about it a bit more :P

1. The 7 day wait for spars is from the when the spar starts, which is determined by the time stamp of the first dice roll per character - we do it on a dice roll per character basis so that it's you who controls whether or not you receive the penalty, not an opponent which might exploit the rule to lower your HP. This is to make sure you don't take on too many spars at once and flood the battleground, where as the week wait for challenges which is based on the fight's rubric timestamp is because there's direct IC consequences/changes - and also so that you can't be challenged multiple times in a row since a challenge is a mandatory thing where a spar is more of a choice.

2. The fighting penalties are provided during the creation of the rubric because that's when judges notice them and apply them. The starting spars too early is applied during a fight since sometimes spars don't receive a rubric and thus you really earned no penalty.

As far as passing out vs. ending submissive/not standing, those would not stack. Penalties can 'stack' in the sense that if you go over 800 words and end the fight submissive, you get docked for both - also the 800 word penalty is the one that can occur and be docked multiple times in one fight, but it's really the only one.
Since passing out is a step up from ending not standing, then in that case both would not be applied. Auto forfeit goes straight to no rubric, your opponent is the winner, so there'd be no need to dock hp anyway.
@Shady
 HP: 1100

Helovia Hard Mode

Shady Posts: 0
OOC Account
Mare :: Other :: 16.3 hh :: 21
Shady
Thanks Blu!!

Psilo Posts: 0
OOC Account
Filly :: Other :: 5'6" :: March of 1990
--
Thanks @Odd <33
Sorry i'm late saying thankful.
I post things and then forget and then remember again.

Bah.

Thanks though love ;D
-gives waffles-

have.

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow
Quick question about the 'one week spar rule starts from the day of the dice roll' thing. Say I make a new spar today, but my opponent doesn't reply for two weeks. Therefore, the one week countdown wouldn't start until that dice roll had happened, two weeks after my initial spar post - but what if I'd made another spar in that period? Would I then have my HP penalised for the second spar, even though I actually started the first spar two weeks ago and it wasn't my fault that the dice roll didn't occur until two weeks after I made it?

In other words, is it better to only make a second spar after the dice have been rolled for the first one, even if that's two or three weeks after I actually made the first one?

And an unrelated question - this is another one I think is a bit stupid but I don't want to get it wrong lmao so best to ask xD Do foal stats stack, and if so how exactly does it work? So say I have twin stats no magic, but I also have magic foal stats. Could I combine those so the twins have magic? If so, would it be one foal that has magic orrr both, or if I wanted both to have magic would I have to have two lots of magic foal stats? Same with hybrid foal stats?

Sorry for the dumb question, I've got a feeling I've seen it done before but want to double check <3

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Odd the doer of things Posts: 115
Administrator atk: 23 | def: 42 | dam: 108
Mare :: Other :: 5"2 :: 27 HP: 108 | Buff: badass
Odd
@Volterra

We're just finalizing the wording surrounding spars and start dates. We'll post an official update shortly!

As for stats:

If you use Twin stats + magical foal stats only ONE twin would have magic. So yes, you'd need two magical foal stats + twin stats, in order to guarantee twins who both have magic. Same with hybrid foal stats.

Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow
Thanks for the reply Odd! <3

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]

Sarah Posts: 7
Junior Administrator
Mare :: Equine :: 5'6'' :: 26
Sarah
okay so question time about griffins.

Does their bird half need to be birds of prey? If they're a common griffin can they have a colourful bird half (if that's the bird species colouration)?

Odd
Common does not need to be a bird of prey - any small/medium bird would work.

Sarah Posts: 7
Junior Administrator
Mare :: Equine :: 5'6'' :: 26
Sarah
excellent, thanks Odd!

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan
Is there a reason why companions can't have items?

If you want to combine small enchanted items into something, will all the enchantments stay on? Ex, if you have a bottle of glowing blood and a tiara that never falls off, can you combine it into a tiara that glows and never falls off? Can you turn it into a completely new item - say, two thin leg bands that glow and don't fall off?

How often do enchanted items need maintenance in order to work and is there a way besides god quests to repair them?

With the new item slots, can you have eight random items or do four of them have to be combat oriented aka offensive/defensive?

If a mythical companion has a two magic mutation, can the second one be picked from the normal companion magics or does it have to be picked from the species magic? Ie, can a fire breathing dragon have, say, the Heal magic, or is it restricted to another breath?

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Odd
1. There are a few reasons why companions can't have items. For the most part, it's just far simpler. Also, your companion is like an item that you have (don't tell Ampere), and so it doesn't make sense to say that your 'item' has an item. And so while you can't give your companions things that they 'own', they can hold things for you and whatnot. I think @Tamme has a better explanation if you need one :)

2. Yes you can combine items. As for breaking down items ... did we release that update? (Sorry at work, memory is foggy. I'll check)

3. It's mostly just IC realistic maintenance.

4. They can be random - we just knew we wanted at least four so that you could fill your offensive/defensive item slots. But if you have 8 random items, that means you can't apply anything to your stats.

5. Mythicals can only have the magic associated with their species. (No, you can't have normal magic)

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan
Thank you Odd, very satisfying answers! <3

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Riven Posts: 0
OOC Account
Mare :: Other :: Average :: Old
Riven
I used to write Africa looking through her companion's eyes. Is this actually possible, or was I naughty - can a character view the world through their companion's eyes?

Odd
It isn't like Beast Master (OMG IS THAT REFERENCE TOTALLY TOO OLD?!), where you can steal their eyes and 'be' them. But because you have a mind-to-mind connection with them, you can experience what they're experiencing pretty immediately.

Riven Posts: 0
OOC Account
Mare :: Other :: Average :: Old
Riven
Beast Master xD wow. Thanks for clarifying!

Psilo Posts: 0
OOC Account
Filly :: Other :: 5'6" :: March of 1990
--
Could things like "constant glittering hair" or "color changing eyes" be considered mutation or passive magic?

Tae Posts: 133
Dragon's Throat Alchemist atk: 7.0 | def: 10 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 2 HP: 72.5 |
Mal :: Timber Wolf :: Terrorize & Hel :: Royal Hellhound :: Hellfire Odd
That's passive magic!

Could you use a small/medium mutation pass on your character's companion? Like, to make them abnormally large/small, add some extra claws in etc?

Odd
Nope! The only thing that can be applied to companions are the extra magic pass.