the Rift

[PRIVATE] If a tree falls in the forest...

Gull Posts: 120
Absent Abyss atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 9 (Tallsun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Splat :: Royal Zephyr :: Phoenix Shady
Gull

Dark clouds hang heavy over the wood, and from somewhere within, crows’ caws ring out like an ominous warning. Weary head hangs low as you approach the treeline, only lifting every now and then to survey your surroundings. Though the trees grow thick here, a preliminary scouring of the forest would be much easier by air. However, you’re in no condition for flight. A rasping cough claws its way out of your throat, and blue eyes blink in misery. It appears that Muriel’s murder has taken its toll on you these past few weeks, both emotionally and physically. Once a strong specimen of a stallion in his prime, you have withered rapidly, coughing and wheezing, unable to catch your breath to the point where flight has become an impossibility. Large wings lie uselessly on your back, muscles stiff from disuse: you are a shell of your former self.

Perhaps you should be worried, given that you’d seen it all before. To be too weak for flight was to be too weak to live, but you swore to yourself that you wouldn’t die with the pink mare’s murder still unsolved and her killer roaming these lands. Grief was a funny thing: it dulled even your most primitive instinct of self-preservation, but daily fueled the fires of vengeance. All your remaining energy was poured into one task, and one task alone. You are obsessed, a man on a mission.

Now, you pause as you enter the forest, drawing your head up with painful effort. Ragged breath catches in your throat, and your sides heave even from the simple act, unable to get your breath. You curse under your breath, but even that has now been taken from you it seems. Your voice comes out in a hoarse whisper, and the act of speaking feels like swallowing and regurgitating a swarm of angry bees. Frustrated, you strike out with a hind leg, landing what would have been a solid kick on a dead branch. But in your weakened state, the branch only shudders and you pay the price instead, stumbling forward with the ghost of a scream that only sets your throat on fire anew. Your breaths are shallow and rapid as you steady yourself, doing your best not to lose your mind completely, if only for the sake of your body. Why you?

OOC: Questing, part III!
This was originally set way back in Frostfall, but if your timeline's tricky, I don't care if it plays with his a bit c;

trouble just grew wings
Image Credit

@Rexanna
Please do not tag Gull except for in opening posts or spars!

Brit Posts: 11
OOC Account
Mare :: Other :: 15hh :: 19
Brit
Pulled on request

Rexanna Posts: 499
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 7 years HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Marembo :: Marbled Polecat :: None Skylark
A gentle sigh was emitted my lips. The exhaustion that filled my head swarmed my perception and thoughts like a thick fog. Why did men have to be so difficult? Why did I have to be such a failure? That’s when I realized that I was always going to do what I was born as. A regret. Everything about me was a regret, with my parents, with Calstron. Oh Calstron. I remembered his blood bay pelt hidden beneath silver wings. One of the first pegasi I had seen. I’ll be honest, the experience didn’t leave a good taste in my mouth.  He always walked around as if he had been better than me, which he was. It didn’t have anything to do with his species but his rank. Being a prince was a huge deal for them, and me?

I was a lie. I was made to believe I was a forgotten princess, one hidden because I had committed a terrible crime.  It all hadn’t been true though, it had been all made up with my purple blood. The mix of blue and red to dishonor me at the sight of me. When he found out, it hadn’t been a good experience. It even caused a miscarriage. The frustration of the whole event was enough to last a lifetime. I was wrong on that account too as I was caught in a spiraling triangle of love between two stags. Who would’ve thought someone so small as I was would be such a huge thorn in so many people’s sides.

That’s when I saw him. Amid the trees, the clouds hung close to the wood making everything dark but I could still make out his shape. He was larger than I, a Pegasus by the looks of it. His wings held the shape of exhaustion or desperation. I watched silently as he attempted to kick a branch, but the attempt was hardly what one would even consider an honest try. I debated whether or not to help him and just as I was about to speak out to him, I paused in the search for things around him. Perhaps this could be my opportunity to put my rank to the test. I was a thief, right? Perhaps I’d have it easy in the attempts to steal something from such an unsuspecting soul. Only time could tell, so I waited. Hidden in the veil of darkness as I waited for my chance.

the dim lit peacocks in the trees are hiding their eyes and their beauty, like me.

Rexanna
Image Credits!

@Gull
[Image: lovelyskylark.gif?8]
Permission given for moderate power play.
Feel free to use magic/force on Rexanna, without killing her.
Please tag in every post!

Gull Posts: 120
Absent Abyss atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 9 (Tallsun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Splat :: Royal Zephyr :: Phoenix Shady
Gull

Staggering away from the tree, you do not notice the mare who hides in the shadows. The smell of damp evergreen masks her scent, and you cannot hear her footfalls over the sound of your own struggle for air. And so she remains concealed as you limp right past her, watching you with keen eyes like the spy she is. Sucking in ragged breaths, you continue your stumble through the wood, favoring your bruised leg. As you walk, tired hooves shuffle through the blanket of moss and dead pine needles, leaving long, dark gashes in the forest floor—telltale signs of your path. You are easy prey.

Exhausted as you are, you nearly miss the dull glint that glimmers ever so slightly beneath the foliage. It is only when you inadvertently kick it aside that you expose the brass disk and cracking leather cord. The sound of your hoof against the metal brings you to an abrupt halt, and you look around, confused. What was that? Casting your eyes about, you look for the source of the noise. No pebble had that hollow ring to it. Sure enough, it doesn’t take long before you identify the culprit: a medallion, half-buried in the dirt, lies about a foot away from your front hooves. Curious, you inch closer. Though it looks much smaller, it reminds you of the crown you once stole. Ears tilt forward slightly at the idea of a trinket. Perhaps it’s not useful, but it’s pretty. Someone might like it.

Leaning down, you squint your eyes to inspect the amulet. It’s not as elaborate as the crown; in fact, it is a rather crudely hewn circle. Someone has punctured a hole in the middle, and through it runs a leather cord, similar to the one that holds the feathers intact in your mane. Squiggly lines have been carved into the metal; other than that, there is no additional decoration. Not being familiar with runes, you assume that the symbols are merely for aesthetics. It’s a simple piece, but it makes no difference to you. Grunting, you reach down to pick it up.

Promptly, a jolt of static bites your tender nose, and you retreat with a sharp cry of pain. Feeling betrayed, you cast a resentful sideways glance at the amulet, debating whether or not to try again. Is this little disc more trouble than it’s worth?

OOC: Sorry for the slow reply; doing my best to catch up now that finals are done!

trouble just grew wings
Image Credit

@Rexanna: sorry for the re-tag, just wanted to gently poke you if you're still interested in this one!
Please do not tag Gull except for in opening posts or spars!