the Rift

The Sun Has Gone [Bucephalus Challenge]

Essetia Posts: 218
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3HH :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Romul :: Arctic Wolf :: Confusion Linds

essetia

Overhead the pastel sky indicated the coming of nightfall, but the evening yet remained a barrier between light and dark. I watched it as I trailed the borders of what was considered my home, the Dragon’s Throat. However, everything was still new and somehow foreign… This land was made of heat and extravagance. It was nothing like the waterfalls I’d come to know in the Hidden Falls or the thick mists of the World’s Edge. Even in the winter months, an arid breeze blew over the sands and it often forced me to seek out the oceanic mote that promised to imprison and protect me simultaneously. The curious Diviner had allowed me passage via a quaint, although frightening, vessel with metal accents. Never before had I experienced the rocking of the water without it pressed against my skin and it truth, it had been a pleasant adventure, if uncomfortable.

As an old spy for the Falls, I had come to expect an easy transition into the ranks of the Throat, but had yet to meet anyone, much less the head Sleuth. The days had passed in a flurry of warmth and sand, but I had grown too impatient to wait for introductions. In fact, I’d decided to go ahead make my own no matter the ramifications. I had done that much when first invited into the Falls and at some point or another I had grown to respect Midas after our little soiree. Of course, having overcome his death and the invasion, I was now a bit more inclined to take action if only to achieve the things I wanted in life. It seemed like a fine idea when I’d first arrive in the Throat and now that time had soothed the nervousness I’d formerly felt, I was ready to meet this Sleuth I dared to serve.

However, I didn’t want to face him in a battle of wits. I wanted to face him there on the sands with the dying sun casting rich salmon-colored ribbons of light across my back. With the wide face of daylight’s charm receding in the west, I positioned myself to face east and toward the impending shadows of twilight. The faint twinkling of stars started high in the sky and I knew the moon would be upon us soon, but the tapering of daylight meant that the cool winter breeze would become almost unbearable. Yet, it was comforting because it promised to keep me alert, on my toes, and ready for what was the come.

From time to time, small desert drifts would dance around my hooves and with Romul at my shoulder, eager and waiting, we watched them twirl and leap across the plains. Are you ready? I questioned. There was no reply from the wolf at first, but when I bent to study him with a slight grimace, his eyes were shining and distant. In an attempt to find out where he’d gone, I summoned the thin tie that ran between his mind and my own. From there I followed him out across the sands of our imagination in search of a shadow or any ghouls wishing to separate us. Of course Essetia, he finally supplied as we traced our way back to reality together. In that moment I knew that we would fight as one entity and for the first time in our lives I wanted Romul to stand beside me this battle.

As if thanking me for my faith in his readiness, the young wolf lifted a mournful wolf-song toward the heavens. I smiled as I listened with rapt attention before shaking loose a cry of my own. Come little bird, give me reason to honor your title, I whispered excitedly to myself. “Face me Sleuth or relinquish your position. Either way, my respect will be yours,” I challenged. As we waited, I pictured the look of shock and confusion on Midas’ face when last we met in a practice spar. I almost wished to encounter much the same thing when I finally encountered this Dragon’s Throat sleuth. Of course, this trial came at more of a expense than the last.

In the final moments before what could be a lesson learned or a lesson taught, I surveyed my surroundings once more. The ground was hard and compact to allow for optimal footing and the towering figures of cacti were spread sparsely throughout the open plains. The sun was setting at my back in the west and its rays fell over the sand until they reached the ocean’s shore. I’d chosen to remain inland so that we wouldn’t edge too close to the water and consequently the uneven footing its tide would create.

I looked down at Romul one last time and we smiled gently at one another, both promising imminent victory.

Attack: 0/4
Defense: 0/1
Word Count: 800
Setting: Dragon’s Throat, Frostfall, at sunset near the southeast boarders by the ocean
OOC: Challenging @[Bucephalus] for his position as Sleuth.

And I see war on the screen,
And it is cruel and unclean,
But I still worry more about you

Aud edited to include Buce's name in title.

◄ Please tag Essetia in all replies!
◄ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
◄ Pixel @ SongsOfInfinity

Bucephalus the Morningstar Posts: 292
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1 :: 6 || Tallsun HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Azeeza :: Orange-breasted Falcon :: None Tribs

Azeeza glided along the winter winds fairly high above the red sands, gaze on the ground below, scanning for anything shiny or furry to eat or play with. So far there was little luck, and she clenched her talons in frustration, which only grew when she felt Bucephalus's soft mental laugh. Yet even her frustration ebbed with the 'sound', his thoughts a balm to her more fiery personality.

So distracted was she by this that the falcon nearly missed the mare below; if it were not for the strangely mournful cry Azeeza would have flown on past. However she caught the sound, golden ees dropping below, easily picking out the mare beneath her, and the overgrown coyote at her side. The falcon dropped altitude, head tiltong as she listened, catching the mare's declaration. However the words had no meaning for her, so she passed it on to Bucephalus for translation.

'She challenges us for our title. Our power.' The translation came with images of fighting, bloodshed and pain. Fury boiled over in the falcon, and she shrieked in outrage. How dare the Wingless! How dare! 'Shush love, I am coming. Azeeza's furious gaze remained locked on the challenger.

She would score the mare's hide with her talons for every second the upstart dared to wait and see her challenge through.

Bucephalus did not keep his challenger waiting. Scant minutes later he strode up,gaze flickering over the mare, a frown drawing his angular face down, a scowl of confusion and a darkening anger. "Respect." He slowly shook his head, utterly disgusted by this situation. How long had she been in the Throat? A few days, days he had spent refining his plan, a plan that would make the Throat's spies something to be feared as much as it's warriors.

And a single bitch wanted to ruin it all.

"I appreciate it, I truly do. You will have my respect if you abandon this challenge and learn of this herd first." He met her gaze, not pleading. Merely resolute. This fight... Either he would win and forever have to watch the snake he'd dare not trust, or she would win and his plans of making the spies a power would be all the harder to create. "Do tell me though, why do you want this? Do you know what you shall ruin should you win?" He questioned, wings rustling as he laid them tight against his back.

The Morningstar waited for the wannabe-usurper to speak her mind, his gaze never once moving from hers as Azeeza spirled high above, a barely seen speck until the time was right.

Tag; @[Essetia]
Summary; Bucephalus arrives and chooses to question Essetia first, giving her a choice to fight this out an earn his disrespect or wait and earn his respect and rank by contributing to the herd.
Notes; This may or may not be a default depending on this damn tropical storm and if we loose power >.>

Bucephalus the Morningstar
My revolution carries me... My revolution sets me free... 
credits :: table

Pixel by Aud

essetia

Romul’s golden stare was lifted, ears tilted toward a figure unseen, and when he turned to regard me with hard and unyielding determination I knew that our destiny in the Throat was about to begin. Nervous tension warmed my blood and made my heart race, but I fought the need to pace or sway against the chilling breeze. Even before the Sleuth himself was revealed I prayed that our scuffle would be quick… I was smart enough to realize that I wouldn’t want to be caught without shelter when the sun was finally laid to rest. Some of the desert brush had already begun to resist the persistent draft, but even the barren flats of the Throat couldn’t escape the soft whistling of the winter wind.

What do you think they’ll look like? I questioned anxiously as Romul lifted his snout to scent a prevailing easterly wind. Not sure- no trace yet, he responded in kind. No longer did he appear to be the carefree pup who romped about in the Edge when I was young… Instead he had adopted an air of importance, perhaps one I’d stitched for him of my past mistakes. Yet, I’d never seen anything so beautiful as he.

When at last the subtle throbbing of hoof against sand coaxed me to turn away from darkening sky, I smiled at the stallion that approached. He was heavily decorated –from head to toe no less- and washed in gold. If I hadn’t known any better I’d have thought him an Egyptian prince, not a thief meant to blend in with the masses. As I watched him, shaking his crowned head and regarding me as no more than the ground he walked upon, I smiled anew. Respect -he spoke of the word as if it were a burden- didn’t appear to be something he was interested in, but I didn’t object or interrupt, preferring to listen quietly.

It wasn’t until the stallion suggested I give up on my endeavors to replace him that I could no longer maintain my nonchalance. I laughed, albeit softly, and nodded slightly at the notion as if I was interested in entertaining his offer. Essetia, Romul growled tersely against a particularly frigid breeze. Hold on, I thought inwardly while shifting to tip a back hoof against the dry, sandy topsoil. However, my genial demeanor didn’t seem to sit well with the Sleuth and before I could agree or disagree with his terms, he filled the silence again with all his noise. I chuckled again response.

Am I to presume you’ve established a temple of gold for your spies or perhaps just lifelong entitlement?” I smirked. “It’s a wonder you’ve lived this long with all your shiny trinkets,” I stated with a polished grin. “Otherwise, I think the answer to your question is fairly clear. I want your position, plain and simple.

Romul?, I prodded internally while shifting forward with a watchful stare. The wolf was quick to respond and circled me in order to position himself at my left shoulder. I lifted a front hoof in order to again test the dry turf beneath me and noted that if I wasn’t careful with my feet, the dusty flats would gladly unseat me. The Sleuth, who hadn’t introduced himself, had wings which meant that I’d have to choose my attacks wisely. All around us the plains stretched wide, only being interrupted by dried desert brush and the occasional cactus. At my back the ocean tide lapped against the shore and I imagined it to be my heartbeat, calm and rhythmic. Ready when you are, Romul assured with a wolfish smile.

I bent my head low for a moment, praying to Midas, to the Gods, and to my mother for the strength to prove myself worthy of what I was about to do. I was scared, that much was sure, but I was ready. Finally, when we could no longer allow ourselves a moment to back down, we charged.

Everything felt like pure chaos after that. Romul and I were one as we raced toward the Sleuth, both aiming to arrive on opposite sides of him. I was fearful that if one of us was ahead of the other then it would give the Sleuth time to react. The white wolf was snarling and hunched low as he neared what was hopefully the stallion’s right side, his teeth aimed for the front, right knee. I on the other hand had a different target and raced toward the Sleuth’s left side hoping to lock my own teeth around the base of his left wing where it was attached to the shoulder. I could only trust in the Gods that they would see me through the fight and that the stallion would remain close enough for attack.

Attack: 1/4
Defense: 0/4
Word Count: 800
Summary: Both Essetia and Romul charge @[Bucephalus] with Romul attacking the right and Essetia attacking the left. Romul aims to bite the right, front knee and Essetia aims to bite at the base of the left wing.

Bucephalus the Morningstar Posts: 292
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1 :: 6 || Tallsun HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Azeeza :: Orange-breasted Falcon :: None Tribs

Bucephalus felt a sort of...disappointment for this mare. If she wanted his position, she could have damn well proven it better by toppling his reputation, stealing away his allies and heightening her own status within the herd. Instead she chose the most direct, blunt and unproven way to gain his rank. Perhaps to others this was the customary way, but Bucephalus couldn't help but wonder just how it proved anything, save one was stronger than the other? Not smarter or more devious or clever.... just stronger.

Her mockery went unnoticed, for he merely watched her impassively, already settled for his fate. He would correct her ignorance, make her regret ever having uttered the words of challenge. The anticipation stirred the Other, and both fragmented personalities watched Essetia with both cruel hunger and weary resignation.

Essetia's head bowed, and he took the time to quickly murmur to Azeeza, pleading with the bird to wait until the perfect moment to strike. She was his asset, his sister-in-arms, and Ampere's thoughts be damned she wanted to fight. But for now she obeyed, watching from high above, ready to warn him of danger.

Danger came.

The bonded pair charged at him, splitting up in a coordinated attack that would have left most confused... if they didn't have a second pair of eyes to watch with. Azeeza's sight was a recording in the background of Bucephalus's mind, one he could only glance at lest he be left reeling in confusion. With her sight and his own he saw the pair's tagets, and a grin of pure malice broke out on his face.

Control was surrendered to the true Bucephalus, the Other.

The black tucked his right knee and leaned, screaming out in pain as the wolf's teeth tore through the flesh of his shoulder, rather than the delicate and more vulnerable flesh of his knee. His gaze went to Essetia, white teeth bared.

If she wanted his wing she could have it!

Rage thudded through his mind at her gall, his body already moving to prepare for his counter-attack. His left wing tucked in close, tight against his side as the mare lunged, her teeth aimed to tear the delicate skin. His wing snapped out like a piston, the black hurling his weight away from the wolf's teeth, feeling liquid heat slide down his shoulder. The arch of his wing, driven by the force of the sudden snap aimed for the mare's throat, those golden eyes of the Morningstar burning with a mad hate.

"Fool." The words hissed from his lips as he attacked, for fool she was. His right wing quickly lifted and flared, hopefully blocking the wolf from his bonded's view as Azeeza came screaming out of the sky, the Other's rage fueling her own. Yet with Bucephalus's silent words she remained quiet in her dive, not uttering the war screech that swelled within her breast.

Wings and talons snapped open, those long and cruel knives aimed towards Essetia's withers, to sink in and cling so she could tear at the mare with her beak.

Usurpers would find no mercy here.

Tag; @[Essetia]
WC; 511
Summary; Bucephalus sees the charging pair and drops to one knee, taking Romul's bite over Essetia's. He clamps his wing to hiss side before lunging away from Romul and towards Ess, his wing snapping out with the arch of it aiming to hit her in the throat. At the same time he quickly raises his other wing to block Romul's view as Azeeza dives down, her talons aimed towards Essetia's withers
Notes; Good luck Linds~

Pixel by Aud

Blu the Bootyful Posts: 443
Administrator atk: 99 | def: 99 | dam: 99
Mare :: Other :: 5'7" :: 25 HP: 99999 | Buff: TWERK
Blu
@[Bucephalus] Please include your attack count!

1/4 for the above post.
 HP: 1100

Helovia Hard Mode

essetia

My body seemed to hum as we charged toward the Sleuth, and more than anything I felt like I was just as much a part of Romul as he was a part of me. We were no longer equine and wolf, but a pack moving in for the final kill. We’d stalked our prey for long enough, following him across the figurative tundra from which Romul hailed, and with the Sleuth finally singled out… it was time to bring him down. I’d never considered how strong Romul’s prey drive was until he’d allowed me to share his instincts to compensate where mine were tender and weak. Through him I felt my blood rush and with that rushing came a violent desire to see the baked earth of the Throat stained with red. Though the sun was being chased from the sky by the darkness of night, the home of the Dragon still told stories of long, fiery days and cool, barren nights despite the presence of winter. How long would the bitter winds allow my victory to be remembered? How long would Bucephalus’ bloodshed color this makeshift battleground?

The wolf was much lower to the ground than I and though we’d charged as one, his teeth were the first to mutilate our adversaries’ gold-flecked hide. I was aware of the adrenaline and the relief that indicated a successful attack as he bit into flesh much thicker than the meager rabbits he’d been hunting for food. The jolt of excitement he felt travelled, uncontrolled, through our bond like a freight train. However, it threw me off balance to experience his true nature –a natural predator- and before I could discipline the chaos and utter lack of restraint that compelled him to fight, it was too late. The Sleuth had dropped to one knee and in doing so he lifted his wing in order to stun me upon impact. I knew that I couldn’t avoid the hit entirely and instead used the extended wing to my advantage. I panicked and nearly balked as the appendage swooped upward, but instead of slowing down to avoid his attack, I sped up. The only thing I could do to lessen the damage was throw my head down in order to protect my throatlatch and prevent him from choking me and leaving me completely open for retaliation. I knew battle was something of a double-edged sword though. We both had to swallow it if we wanted to win.

A shaky grunt was forced from my lungs what at last I met with the taut sinew of the Pegasus’ wing and the air was knocked straight from my chest. He’d managed to aim true, or as true as I would allow, and the force of the wing against my neck felt like whiplash. However, I managed to stumble away from him hoping that the charge had been enough to unbalance him. Romul! Go now! I screamed internally. I couldn’t manage to voice the command otherwise because of my coughing, but steadfast resolve bloomed from the assault... I needed this to work. I needed to remind the young wolf that I was his alpha and when his silent consent was expressed in my mind, I urged him on. A low growling sounded from the left, where Romul had escaped to, and just when I knew he was about to attack, a splintering pain danced along my spine. I screamed and the wolf echoed my fear. I didn’t know what the hell was going on, but I knew that if I didn’t keep Romul on task, we wouldn’t be able to cut the Sleuth down. GO!, I pressed again.

After the stallion had lunged at me with his wing, Romul arched away from him in order to attack his right side once more. However, just like his ancestors had done to elk and deer, the wolf aimed to drag down the enemy from his rear. Romul charged again in hopes of locking onto the Sleuth’s right thigh and dragging him with as much force as an arctic wolf could muster. I, on the other hand, had taken to tossing my head about in order to deter the fucking animal at my back. Sharp claws had destroyed the skin between my shoulders and I could feel them each time they perforated my flesh. I hadn’t yet regained my breath fully and a subtle throbbing ensued in my neck, but with a silent promise to myself that it would all be over soon I pressed on. Again, I prayed –this time furiously- to the Gods for help. I had to keep moving and I had to escape the terrible creature sent forth to distract me. Again the claws drew blood, but this time I ran, hopefully circling the Sleuth again.

Attack: 2/4
Defense: 0/1
Word Count: 799
Summary: Essetia decides to take the hit to the neck, but uses it as a way to also attack and rams into the wing (left side). She runs past him, but stops when Azeeza attacks her back, but Romul is on Buce’s right and he tries to bite the right thigh and pull down. Essetia eventually circles around to try and come up on Buce’s right with Romul.

@[Bucephalus]

Blu the Bootyful Posts: 443
Administrator atk: 99 | def: 99 | dam: 99
Mare :: Other :: 5'7" :: 25 HP: 99999 | Buff: TWERK
Blu
Bucephalus defaults to Essetia. Essetia earns 0.5 VP and the title of Sleuth in the DT.

(rank change will occur after passive mode ends)
 HP: 1100

Helovia Hard Mode