the Rift

[OPEN] and then there's morning

Tiamat the Ocean's Light Posts: 360
Aurora Basin Lady atk: 8 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 :: 6 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Nimue :: Common Orca Leviathan :: Boil Reli

tiamat</style>
we run like a river runs to the sea</style>

The blue mare dances through the powdery snow, her long tail stretching out to hover just over the ground and swaying softly with each stride. The seashells and seaweed that are weaved into the thick blue of her hair rustle and chime against one another—the sound singing softly as it rings over the frosted valley. She stands stark against the white landscape. The ocean blue of her skin is brilliant beneath the sun’s light—Frostfall has been kind this day, allowing them a few hours of reprieve from the blizzards of snow that have blanketed them this season—and she intends to take full advantage of it.

Having emerged from the little cave that she has taken refuge in, Tiamat strides joyfully into the open, her steps high and energetic. With her chest expanding, she breathes in the mountain air, still cold enough to sting her lungs, but a moment of sunlight is enough to deter the worst of the chill. Lifting her head to the sky, she smiles, joyous to know that her mother’s watchful care is over her again. Ever since they had lost each other, she is more wary than ever of the blackness and its return, but there is little in this world that can dampen her spirits for long.

Particularly when she is home again. Home. At last! Oh she feels as if she could fly with the elation that swells in her breast. Aurora Basin had adopted her as one of its own at her initial arrival into Helovia, and although years have come and gone, and many faces are foreign to her—and those large equine things at the entrance have appeared—she still feels as comfortable as ever here. Perhaps it is a foolish trust, but Tiamat knows no different—she is home, and that is a truth that is heartening.

Tossing her head in playful glee, Tiamat plunges forward. As connected and flowing as the rain is over the ground, so is she as she leaps in high-stepping strides, tossing up little flurries of snow that slowly settle behind her. With her laughter pealing in buoyant gasps of air, she races to the lake. Nearing its banks, she dips her flanks low and skids to a nearly-graceful stop—but only a moment too late. Misjudging the distance, Tiamat is thrown into the cold water by the force of her own weight. “Brother!” She gasps at the freezing liquid, leaping back onto the banks, merry laughter soon ensuing.

notes; open for anyone! I want her to meet people:)
“Speech.”

credit
please tag Tia in all replies!
magic & force are permitted.

Johnny Posts: 161
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 13 hh :: 10 years
Jellybean :: Common Griffin :: Molten Dagger Sarah
Johnny
I am so excited that there is someone else that is a beautiful, different colour that I trip over myself and end up skidding across a patch of ice near the lake in my excitement. I mean WOW are you kidding me? She’s gorgeous! And not in the subtle but fascinating way that d’Artagnan and most of the Helovians are gorgeous. She’s gorgeous in a bathed-in-the-tropics kind of way. She looks exotic! Granted you can’t get even more exotic than me, especially in this place, but we’re going to place this stranger at a solid second place and that’s a damn good compliment.

Just in case you were worried, I regained my balance pretty quickly because - you know - I’m talented like that. There was a little bit of pain lingering in one of my back ankles but I’m sure I’ll be able to do a little boogie and it’ll loosen quite up. Picking up my feet as high as I could I trampled my way through the thick snow to get to this new stranger.

But wouldn’t you know, she was doing her own version of trampling and was moving a little too fast and then SPLASH she was in the lake!

QUICK! Sir Lollipop to the rescue!! In those few seconds I created this fantastic scenario where I was able to swoop on in and we’d strike up a conversation and become wonderful friends from this day to when I was nothing more than a shrivelled little pile of sugar.

Only I got bogged down when I tried to leap over this really really big snow bank so by the time I got over there she was standing up and standing on the lake. Though she was laughing, I hurried over as fast as my little pink legs could muster and skid to a stop near her. I’m checking her over, and not just because I’m worried about her health. I did call her gorgeous, didn’t I? “Holy sweetarts hunny are you okay?? Bit chilly for a swim!” The winter was pretty wonderful but even I drew a line at taking a dip in the icy waters.

I'm your sweet sugar Candyman
Image Credit
Table by Sevin!

@[Tiamat]

tiamat</style>

Tiamat stands at the banks of the lake, shaking her body to try and get as much of the excess water off that she can—the mass of her hair flying about, the seashells in her mane chiming as they bounce against one another. Fortunately she hadn’t been so deep that her entire body had gotten wet, but a fair amount of her skin is left dripping. Already she can feel the cold bite of winter nipping at the moisture, despite the sun’s brief appearance bathing her in its rays.

One ear pricks and swivels with the muffled crunch of hooves pounding in the snow, and the blue mare turns her eyes to see a petite stallion approaching her—galloping with all the gallantry and strength of a steed twice his size. Tiamat angles her body to face him, a smile already shadowing her lips as he comes to a skidding halt before her. The snow flies about his hooves in the mightiest of ways and she can’t help but admire his vigor—well, it might just be enough to rival her own! She laughs lightly at his comment, shaking her head. “I guess you saw that,” she giggles sheepishly to herself, shuffling her weight, “I suppose brother dear wants to play—on a day like this, wouldn’t you agree? It is simply beautiful!” Her smile broadens blissfully as she basks in the sun.

“But I am fine, I assure you. A little chilled is all,” with bright eyes Tiamat flicks her long lion tail behind her, the silky plume of hair brushing against the flakes of snow. It isn’t the best condition to be wet in the middle of Frostfall (she knows this) but her excitement is far too joyous to dampen her spirits now. After weeks of seemingly being locked away in the shelter of her little cave in order to escape the worst of winter, the blue mare is finally able to burst out without fear of the wild winds or bitter storms—it is a day to celebrate! Wet or not, she has every intention to enjoy it to its fullest.

Breathing a wonderful sigh to herself, Tiamat extends her nose to the stranger, in an offering to touch cheeks and exchange breaths in a gesture of friendship. It is a motion that is familiar and comforting for her, although she knows that not all feel the same. “My name is Tiamat. And what might I call the knight of my morning?” She teases him playfully, her white eyes dancing in their jubilation, still in admiration of his gallantry.

But it is when she draws nearer to him that she notices something…different. Not at all a bad different, just…different. “You smell sweet! She exclaims, her tone merry and wondrous. Not that Tiamat has been around an infinite multitude of other equine creatures in her short lifetime, but she has definitely been around long enough to know that they normally don’t smell sweet—or that sweet, at least. With the corners of her mouth curling into something of a grin and her blue lips parted in awe, questions bubble to dance on her tongue. What? How? Where? What—? But she doesn’t pester him quite yet, still laughing happily to herself at the wonderment of it all.

notes; OMG he is so cute I just want to squeeze him xD
tag; @[Johnny]
“Speech.”

credit

Brit Posts: 11
OOC Account
Mare :: Other :: 15hh :: 19
Brit
Pulled and saved.

Outcast
Johnny
Well dip me in chocolate and sell me at Dairy Queen if this mare wasn’t full of life and vigour such as I had never seen at Helovia yet. Her laughter and her smile! I was liable to fall in love right then and there. “A beautiful day it is! I would not have thought it so beautiful to warrant a dip in the water but so long as you’re alright I suppose there’s no harm done.” I don’t really believe the words that I’m saying and I am still worried about this miss but she seemed to be in such high spirits it would be rather out of character for me to be the wet blanket. Could you imagine!

But, this dear mare did not seem to be suffering and in fact she was extremely pleasant! I did not mind her kind teasing at all, though I was sure that we both knew that any gallantry on my behalf would not be worth the part of a knight. The lady before me, though, looked as though she were a creature born from the sea, perhaps she had crawled right out of the very lake that we stood near. When it was in summer, though. She almost made me wish the weather was warmer! “Sir Johnny, if it pleases you.” I take a deep bow then, stretching out one of my pink legs so I can take a dip, and manage to straighten up again with only a little bit of a slip. “A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Princess Tiamat of the Frozen Lake!” Too much? Oh honey, I don’t know the meaning of ‘too much’.

The look that these Helovians got on their face when they realized that I smelt sweet was quickly becoming my favourite thing. I needed to travel outside of the Basin more so I could find out if it was just the unicorns that lived here that were so amazed by it, or of it was everyone. You would think that none of them had ever seen a walking candy cane before?? “I do! I made of sugar, you know. Sugar and peppermint. It was supposed to be a curse from this witch but I’ve found it to be quite beneficial.” Except in the summer. Somehow, and I don’t pretend to know how, I can withstand cold and rain and snow and whatever else but put me in the SUN and I start to melt. And when I start to melt, as if that weren’t bad enough, the flies find me. There could be no fly for leagues around but as soon as I show up I swear they breed and spawn in fascinating numbers just so that they can all get a little nibble.

I much prefer to be nibbled on by creatures my size or larger, specifically of the horse variety. Though some goats are welcome too, if only the ones in the Basin weren’t so rude. With a crooked smile, I make my princess an offer. “You can taste a little bit of my mane if you want, I promise it won’t hurt.”

Image Credit
Table by Sevin!

@Tiamat
[Image: Johnny%20by%20Aud_zpsi3ssx2s1.gif]
magic and physical force permitted at all times
vigorous licking strongly encouraged
please tag in all posts

tiamat</style>

Already the blue mare is quite taken with her newfound friend—is isn’t often that she finds someone who seems to be as bubbling and full of energy as she (not that she minds in the least) but she can’t help but feel buoyed by his company. Already she had woken to a beautiful day, her mother sky clear and bright, with the sun’s rays falling to glisten on the whiteness of the Basin’s valley. It is a picture to behold—how could it not be enjoyed?—and she feels her spirits rising even higher with the positivity and the liveliness that she feels sparkling between them. Surely, this day could not be any more perfect!

Tiamat’s cheerful laughter trickles from her lips like the rain does from her sister clouds, light and chiming as it echoes across the glassy lake, her white eyes bright with the thrill of the morning. Much to her delight, the gallant little stallion seems to be more than willing to play along with her lighthearted amusement, introducing himself with all the prowess of such and bowing with dramatic finesse. The young mare tucks her head in towards her chest with an elated smile before arching her neck and giving him a little curtsy of her own.

“The pleasure is all mine, Sir Johnny, where would I be if you hadn’t come along?” The ocean blue mare shivers once from the cold chill that lingers from her damp skin, but the discomfort isn’t nearly enough to dampen the euphoria of her mood.

Fortunately, her knight is not offended by her wondrous outburst about his scent—so unfamiliar and strange and sweet—and he takes it in stride, as though this isn’t the first (and likely not the last) time that he has received such a reaction. Honestly, she would be surprised if he wasn’t used to it, considering that as far as her knowledge goes, it isn’t usual to smell so…sugary. Her interest is only piqued further when he continues, explaining that his body is, quite plainly, made of sugar. Made of sugar and peppermint? Literally?! The blue unicorn can’t help but be amazed—who wouldn’t be?—and it shows in the astonishment of her expression.

“Well good for you for showing her! I must say, you’re the most delicious candy man I’ve ever seen,” she giggles, flicking the long length of her leonine tail out behind her. Her smile is broad and flashes the whiteness of her teeth from behind her lips, although there is a part of her that feels sorry for him. To have been cursed—how awful! Why would anyone do such a thing? He seems so nice! But his resilience only proves the goodness and justness of the world, and she admires him greatly for his optimism.

Her thoughts might have wandered father down that road—more curious as to why he was cursed—but Johnny speaks again, proposing an offer that she’s never been given before. “Do you mean—taste, like eat?Tiamat is taken back, her lips parting into an ‘o’ of bewilderment and her head tilts to the side, trying to wrap her head around it. Surely, she can’t turn him down. “You’re certain it won’t hurt you?” The mare shifts her weight, not completely sure, but ultimately her curiosity is too great for her to swallow. Her chest expanding in a heavy exhale, she reaches forward—still hesitant—before delicately grabbing the end of a peppermint strand and biting it off (she looks to his face to make double sure it didn’t hurt him, before chewing).

She hadn’t expected this!

Her eyes light up as the peppermint candy fills her mouth like a cool winter wonderland on her tongue. “Oh my goodness—that’s good!—you’re good?” Her brow wrinkles for a moment as she considers the proper phrasing, although her merry grin soon returns and spreads to brighten her face. “Better be careful, Johnny, I might eat you up,” the blue mare laughs comfortably, eyes dancing. It is a strange thought—to be eating someone’s hair—but she can’t deny that she enjoys it. “Is your whole family like you? Made of candy?” She fixes him with wide, awed eyes, brimming with curiosity.

“Speech.”

credit || @Johnny

Outcast
Johnny
Alright I’m pretty smitten with this mare already - I can tell that we are going to be just the BEST of friends and I’m so happy that I’ve found another soul like myself up here in the frozen north! You know, creatures like that d’Artagnan fellow that brought me here take themselves way too seriously. The whole lot of them. But here is this blue, laughter-filled mare and I’m positively warming right up to the idea of this herd.

I do, however, notice her shiver and I’m trying to think of something I can do to warm her up. Perhaps we should go for a walk, get those muscles moving? I’ll find a way to work it in, I’m pretty concerned about her, you know. Although I do know a sinfully delicious way to cure any ailment that might be pestering you.

Hint: it’s me.

I love the reaction that I get out of the lady, it’s my favourite reaction to the news. “Literally!” I confirm enthusiastically, tossing my head a little bit just for the show. Everything from the tip of my horn to the tip of my…. tail was all made of sugar. Maybe this conversation is distracting her from the cold? I hope so, I much prefer exercising my mouth instead of my legs.

She’s one of the first in Helovia to actually take me up on my offer for a taste and oh my gummy bear god do I ever love her for it. I encourage her, ensuring her that it won’t hurt, and I make sure to stay super still when she reached in for a taste of my mane - grinning wildly all the time. Didn’t hurt at all! Maybe a little pluck but I’ve probably survived worse, I think I’ll be just fine.

And she likes it!! I mean it’s weird but that’s such a great compliment I love it. “Thank you, Princess Tiamat!” I sweep down low into another bow, such kind words have to be acknowledged, but I start laughing at her comment about how she could just eat me up. “You wouldn’t be the first one to try.” I give her a little wink, and I’m not even lying. Wars have been fought over this flow and this body, you know. “Naw, not the whole family. My brother, Jake, is like me though - only he’s made of chocolate. If you don’t know it, it’s.. uh, like a richer sweet. Bit earthier than the peppermint. He’s off breaking hearts somewhere else though.”

“What about you, is the rest of your family prone to winter swims?” It’s okay to tease her, right? I hope so, I don’t want to chase off this friend!

Image CreditTable by Sevin!

@Tiamat
please tag in all posts

tiamat</style>

Another round of delighted, tinkling giggles dance from the mare’s lips when the little stallion seems to be as joyful in her approval of his sweetness as much as she is. He bends down into another low bow, which she compliments with another dainty curtsy of her own, the wide smile never faltering from her expression. What a positively enchanting character Johnny is! He is so buoyant and unlike anyone else that she has yet to meet in Helovia, reminding her so much of herself, that she can’t help but be enchanted by his playful, carefree ways. She has no doubt that he is nothing short of a charmer.

“You’re very welcome,” she bows her head again in a playful dramatization, doe-eyes wide and dancing when they meet his once more. Fluted ears rest intently forward when the candy man continues, explaining more about his family and his brother, Jake, who is made of candy as well. Chocolate? He sounds delightful!” She laughs lightly, wondering about this chocolate candy and where she could try some (shameless in her occasional sweet tooth). “Well if he’s anything like you, I’m sure he’s doing just fine. I should like to meet him one day!” Her smile broadens and gives him a jesting wink.

Still, there is a small part of her that pities Johnny and his brother, for being cursed, sure that a bane of any kind can’t be pleasant. Did it hurt them when it happened? Did it force them to change their lives much? Do they ever wish it never happened? But she doesn’t linger on such doubts for long, seeing the sugar knight’s buoyancy, and knowing that whatever the witch had intended, Johnny had undoubtedly and delightfully turned it back around. It is a trait that Tiamat greatly admires him for.

Exhaling a long breath from her nostrils, the ocean mare’s attention returns to the little stallion when he inquires about her family. She giggles at his tease, tossing her hair in a mass of dancing hair and chiming shells. “You could say that, I suppose,” she casts him a playful glance before her expression softens into one of wistfulness, happily blissful in her musings of her own relatives. White eyes look to the glassy, unfrozen lake. “This lake is my family, you see—he’s my brother, as are all other lakes and streams; just as the clouds and stars are my sisters,” Tiamat’s attention lingers on her brother for a moment before it returns to Johnny.

It doesn’t occur to her that her heritage might be strange, bizarre, or even crazy to others. It is natural to her, it is all she knows, and she loves it. In any case, aren’t they all related and connected to nature in some way, at some point? Not all keep that connection as she does, but she doesn’t condemn them for it. She would never put herself on a pedestal for her parentage. “I’m nature’s child, you could say,” she smiles brightly, “of the ocean and sky.” Her gaze is cast briefly up to her mother sky, always watching over her, never leaving her alone again. They are together now, forever.

notes; I'm SO sorry that it's taken so long!<33
“Speech.”

credit | @Johnny

Outcast
Johnny
Well of course she liked the sound of Jake, everyone did. I try not to be bitter about it, bitter literally isn’t in my nature. She expresses some interest in meeting him, of course, but it comes with a compliment for me so I don’t really mind too much. “I do hope that he’ll wander back into my life one day!” I’m sure he will, the sneaky little bugger that he was. One day I’ll be just hanging out in my favourite spot in the Basin, surrounded by at least five beautiful mares and stallions, and then Jake will show up and expect to share in my friends. He did that, had a terrible nasty habit of doing that, and because he was Jake and chocolate he usually won the friends over pretty quickly. I guess peppermint isn’t really for everyone or whatever.

Anyway, I’m just going to have to work extra hard to keep everyone in Helovia on my side for the day that he does waltz in here.

It’s surprising when Tiamat introduced me to her family. But then, I can’t really judge about family because of what I just told her. Father, mother, brother, sisters - they’re all around them. “Is that so! Well you certainly look the part, your parents did a brilliant job on you.” Okay so yeah, there were questions - like why did miss Tiamat, of all her siblings, end up here as a horse-like-creature while the others were in the stars and the lake? But you know what, I’m not going to ask these things because who am I to poke holes in her family.

“So, Princess, how long have you been in Helovia? Or the Basin! You know it’s not often I find such wonderful company up here in the north. Everyone else seems to be so… grumpy.”

Image Credit
Table by Sevin!

@Tiamat
please tag in all posts

tiamat</style>

The little candy man doesn’t skip a beat in praising the ocean mare for her heritage, complimenting her with the flourish and generosity that he has all morning, and Tiamat continues to blush beneath it. “You’re too kind,” she smiles brightly, nearly abashed as she arches her slender neck, looking to him from beneath long lashes. The concept of intentionally flirting—or anything down that particular road—is generally lost to her, the motives foreign to her innocent mind and carefree ways. Tiamat only knows that it makes her feel good, and ever the vibrant and intimate character, she would like nothing else but for him to feel the same.

Smiling as though laughter is about to slip from her lips, the blue unicorn listens eagerly when Johnny questions her history in Helovia and the Basin, although her expression slowly wilts when he mentions everyone being grouchy. “Really?” Tiamat tilts her head, the paleness of her curved horn catching the cool light of day. It makes her sad to think that Johnny hasn’t had such delightful experiences as she—he’s a joy to be around! Who couldn’t brighten with his pleasant company? “Most everyone I’ve met has been quite delightful! Although, I haven’t met as many people as I’d like to,” she purses her lips together, dainty ears splaying momentarily to the side before perking back up.

“If you ever need someone nice to talk to, come find me—I intend to see you again!” Tiamat’s countenance illuminates once more into her usual radiance, white eyes widening in her excitement. She leans a step closer to the sugary stallion, wanting to assure him that he is not without a friend, and of course enthusiastic about seeing him again. “Let’s see…” the ocean mare continues, her thoughts shifting to focus on Johnny’s original question.

The memories come to her easily—mostly happy ones, although they aren’t without their shadows—but it is all well now, the light has returned, which is what matters to her. “I came to Helovia a few years ago; Lena brought me to the Basin then,” her grin becomes wistful, remembering that momentous day and ever grateful to the friendly brown mare. Lena has since become a beloved friend and mentor, and Tiamat doesn’t know if she will ever be able to repay her for her kindness. “I had to leave, unfortunately; my father called me away. Still, the Basin has always been my home—I returned again at the beginning of winter,” she gives a happy nod, her smile broadening.

The ocean mare loves the Aurora Basin. She loves the mountains, the beauty within them, the northern lights, and most of all, the people who share it with her. Tiamat can’t imagine a more perfect place. The Basin is not only her home, but so much more—it is where she belongs. Breathing a contented sigh from her nostrils, she looks back down to the sweetened stallion, long lion tail swaying behind her. “What about you, Sir Johnny?” She asks, a playfulness flickering across the curiosity of her features.

“Speech.”

credit | @Johnny

Outcast
Johnny
Flirting? Why, if that were an olympic sport I’d come in second. Why second? Well first, I think that the silver medal would go better with my complexion and when I’m standing up on that podium I want to look my best. Secondly, if there’s an olympic stadium filled with other hot singles that are flirting with one another I’m probably going to get a little distracted. What if a cute, fuzzy stallion with some serious swagger walks by? Or a particularly pretty tall palomino mare? I mean, I’m only so strong. I recognize my limits.

I don’t really think much of Tiamat’s rather flirtatious reaction to my compliment. It certainly makes me like her all the more - goodness gracious that neck of hers just goes on for miles doesn’t it! - but what I mean is that I’m not about to get up all in her business because she blinks in an appealing fashion. I know that it’s harmless and hey, if we’re already that type of friends then I’m definitely okay with this.

Turns out she’s had a little bit better luck with the locals than I have, for which I am thankful. Not that I’ve had to file any grievances or anything, there’s just a particular chill that some of these unicorns have up their butt. I think it’s a result of spending way too much time around their own species. But she doesn’t miss a beat to let me know that even if everyone else was particularly frosty, my dear sea-born princess wasn’t. “Well aren’t you just a fuzzy little peach, dear princess!” This girl? I loved her. We’re going to be best friends, you know. I don’t know if she knows that yet but I think she’ll be pretty open to the idea. I’m a great best friend. “I’ll be sure to find you the second I start to feel lonely again.”

I listen with sincere interest as she answers my question - duh, why would I ask it if I didn’t want to know. Turns out that she’s been around for a little bit longer than I have! “Lena! I’ve met her, such a sweet girl.” You know it’s been awhile since I’ve seen her, maybe I should start branching out a bit again. “I’m certainly glad that you found your way back to us.”

Obviously.

“I haven’t been here much longer than you! D’Artagnan found me in that forest place where everyone jumps on newcomers and he didn’t really have an option but to bring me back here.” There was that mean mare in the Threshold too but she doesn’t count. “Have you met him? Sweet guy. Tries to act all tough but, you know. Softie underneath.” Was I making assumptions based on our limited interactions? Yes. That’s what I do.

“Listen to me standing around chatting after you just took a polar bear plunge. Are you absolutely sure you're not too cold? There's some hot springs not too far, I could accompany you them!" I can't get in them but I like to linger around them and chat with those that can bathe in the hot waters and not turn it into peppermint tea.

Image Credit
Table by Sevin!

@Tiamat
please tag in all posts

tiamat</style>

“I hope you do!” The ocean mare exclaims with happy excitement, having every intention of seeing this adorable little stallion again. She might not recognize the world’s dark shadows herself, but she is always more than willing offer her light to others—the comfort of friendship, honesty, and love (because she gives her heart freely, without inhibition). Her smile is just as genuine as it curls along her lips, flashing white teeth beneath the cool light of the morning sun. There isn’t a doubt in her mind that Johnny is not only her friend, but someone special.

Smiling brilliantly at him, she exhales when he welcomes her back, her warm breath billowing in a vaporous cloud. “Me too, Johnny—me too; this place is…is home,” her white eyes wander out to the landscape, to the valley that surrounds them, admiring its pristine beauty. A contented sigh breathes from her lips, a warmth swelling within her breast, strong enough to rival the bitter cold that nips at her satin skin. Truly, she cannot imagine living anywhere else. And it has all been possible thanks to Lena, the generous and friendly brown mare who had greeted her in the Threshold. Tiamat nods enthusiastically when Johnny compliments the Time Mender before continuing. She couldn’t agree more, not knowing if she will ever be able to repay her dear friend for what she had given her. A home, a family, and friends—could she have asked for more?

The length of Tiamat’s leonine tail sways happily, long hair brushing softly against the powdery snow. It is the candy man’s inquiry that rouses her from her blissful musings, fluted ears pressing forward and her lips pursing delicately. “D’Artagnan…” She contemplates the name, searching through memories—beautiful memories—but memories that have become hazed by time nonetheless. “I think so? The name sounds familiar, I’m almost sure he was one of the original Time Menders to greet me when I arrived! It’s been so long though,” she laughs bashfully, shaking her long mane, “sometimes I have trouble remembering.”

The blue mare hopes to see this D’Artagnan fellow again—to refresh her memory, and seal their friendship of course. Johnny’s description of him is amusing, fueling her intrigue all the more. Her grin becomes crooked when she looks back to the little stallion, shifting her weight when the icy snow threatens to numb her lower legs—although she doesn’t mind at all standing here talking to her Knight, his suggestion of the hot springs alights her pretty features.

“Oh—that would be lovely! Let’s,” the young unicorn smiles brightly before turning, pivoting daintily on her heels and moving forward with a quick flick of her long tail. Having been to the hot springs the night before, the path is clear in her mind, and she leads them there cheerfully. “Mmm,” Tiamat hums in delight when they make it to the warm banks, the comfort of the steam and water soothing her as she steps into the pool. Running her muzzle across the surface, she giggles before looking over her shoulder at Johnny. “Why don’t you join m—oh! Will the warm water harm you?” She realizes the possibility a moment too late, and steps again towards the banks, her eyes searching his.

“Speech.”

@Johnny | credit

Outcast
Johnny
Tiamat is every bit a graceful princess as we go toward the hot springs, especially in comparison to me. I just sort of bounce alongside her in the trot that my little legs need to do to keep up. I’m not intentionally bouncing, that would be ridiculous, but that just seems to be the way my body likes to move. I’m not complaining or anything, it does wonders to show off my thick, peppermint hair, but I’m amused by what a sight we must make together! Not exactly the princess-and-knight combination of fairytales but I think it’ll do. Our version is much more interesting as well. Even if I have a slight preference for princes.

So we bounce/move along until we’re at this remarkable feature of the Basin. No wonder all the hot unicorn folk like to live up here, even in the chilliest part of winter - my favourite time of year - these springs stay warm and inviting, ready for anyone to warm up after a cold night or, like my friend here, after taking a dip in a near-freezing lake!

Sweet thing that my princess is, she hesitates once she’s in the waters and asks me if I can even go in them! I had been eyeing them sadly but grin back at her when she looks at me and shake my head - causing a small puff of sugar to become dislodged from my skin with the movement. “Unfortunately, I think I’ll melt if I go in. But I can keep you company from the shores! I don’t mind one bit.” On warm days, if I got got a little too close to the steam, I started to feel a little queasy and broke out in a bit of a sweat. I don’t know if you’ve ever sweat sugar before but that stuff is sticky and you know, it just doesn’t feel very good.

But today I think it’s safe to stand near the edge, I don’t think Tiamat is the type to splash me after I let her know I might melt at the prospect. I know we have healers here in the Basin but… would they be able to piece me back together after that sort of damage? That was a question I certainly hoped never to need to find an answer to!

I do get a bit of an idea though because I don’t want to discourage her. So I turn around and back up to the edge of the pool, and start to sit - but just enough so that the tip of my tail is submersed. The strands start to band together and bleach colour into the water and I pull it back out before any damage can be done. The result, as I had hoped, was a waft of peppermint rising with the steam. “I hear it can be therapeutic.” I comment with a wink as I look back at her, shaking off the extra water from my now white-tipped tail.  
Image Credit
Table by Sevin!

@Tiamat
please tag in all posts

tiamat</style>

The mare’s white eyes are wide as she stares at the little candy man, concern shadowing every dainty line of her face. She’s never met someone literally made of sugar before, so she doesn’t know exactly how his body will react to the steam; however, if it’s anything like the sweet treats that she’s seen before, any kind of warmth doesn’t spell out comfortably for him. Absentmindedly, it occurs to her that Johnny is quite fortunate to have settled in the Basin—and not just because it’s the most perfect and beautiful place in the world. He must thrive in these highland mountains! And of course, she is so very happy that she has had the chance to meet his delightful little self!

But back to her concern. Johnny confirms her assumptions—he doesn’t mix well with the hot water—but he is quick to assure her that he’s content sharing her company from the banks. “Are you sure?” Tiamat steps towards him again, but his jovial expression is enough to quiet her gentle heart. Sweeping the length of her tail just below the water’s surface, she watches as it swells with the movement, the undulations colliding into her legs like slow, miniature waves. As the steam rises around her, a shiver runs the length of the ocean mare’s spine, her satin skin thawing from winter’s frost.

Not that Frostfall isn’t lovely—there is no doubt that the pristine canvas of the snow is simply breathtaking!—but built as daintily as she is, she is not particularly suited for the cold, even if it’s certainly bearable. She enjoys winter for its beautiful individualities, as she does every other season.

Tiamat’s eyes wander over the valley of their home, enjoying every inch of it, before Johnny’s movement brings her attention back to him. Her brow knits together in confusion when he turns around and begins to back up, but her heart suddenly leaps into her throat when he starts to sit over the waters. She imagines him falling in, and what a terrible, terrible disaster that would be! She can’t allow him any harm. “What are you doing? Johnny, wait—!” She cuts herself off, confusion once again trickling into the frantic pattering of her heart. What could he possibly be doing?

“Oh,” the ocean mare breathes a sigh of relief once she reaches understanding, a bashful chuckle chiming into the wispy vapors. Lowering her head so that her muzzle hovers just over the waters, Tiamat inhales deeply, closing her eyes happily as the crisp peppermint seeps through her body. Smiling at the candy man when he speaks, she lifts her head to look at him. “That’s very nice, thank you,” the mare’s smile widens, and she laughs with joy again. Noticing the bleached tips of his sugary tail, she gestures curiously, “Will the color come back?”

“Speech.”

@Johnny | credit

Outcast
Johnny
My sweet friend Tiamat is truly someone that thrives in the water! Look how beautiful she is! Like a mermare! And between you and me, I think the hot springs are a much better body of water for her to spend these chilly days in than the lake, whether it was her family member or not! It’s a shame that my candy-coated self can’t enjoy things like that - I don’t really mind but… okay sometimes I do. It’d be nice to be able to soak in the hot springs or lie in the open sun for more than a few moments. Or visit the beach! Granted, I feel like I’m not missing a whole lot with the sand there but I would like the option, you know?

I am happy to live vicariously through Tiamat, who is such a delight I mean, who else would I want to live through? I bet her days are just lovely, even when I’m not in them!

What an alarming turn of events it would have been if I had fallen in - and (I will never tell her this) when Tiamat shouted it almost (but not really) made me lose my concentration. Thankfully, I was well aware of the risks and willing to get out of there ASAP. The fact that I could have just plucked a few strands from my tail and gotten the same effect doesn’t really come to mind quite yet. Who knows if it ever will.

I’m grinning triumphantly when I turn back around - mostly because my friend is laughing again - but I am touched by her concern over my tail. “Oh yes, my dear! The colour will pop back in in no time at all. Not to worry!” I honestly wasn’t really sure just when it would happen but I was certain that it would. My hair may be made of peppermint but it was still hair. It fell out and it grew. Just think about it, for all my time in the Basin I’ve been leaving peppermint strands of my hair and sugary flakes of skin all over the place! Little tokens of love for all my adoring fans. Eventually, given enough time, this place is going to smell wonderful.

Backing up another step from the edge of the hot spring, just to be safe, I then lower myself to the ground. What sort of knight would I be if I left my princess alone while she was thawing from the cold? I’ve settled in and prepare to tell her a story. It’s a great one, there’s chocolate and sugar and dragons and okay so I totally was making it up but whatever - if it got my new friend to laugh I was okay with that!
Image Credit
Table by Sevin!

<3333 thank you for the great thread!
please tag in all posts