the Rift

[PRIVATE] Shutup -- redux [DREAM]

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd
Isopia
sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

[Dream thread with @[Knox]. Isopia thinks she's a yearling.]

The wind tangled, graced, and pulled at her mane as she galloped through the unending obstacle course that was the Deep Woods. The sound of her hooves might have been muffled by the abundance of soft auburn coloured moss, but the rhythmic sound of her breathing was not. It was almost hypnotizing the way that rhythm permeated through her very bones and into her soul. But the earthen child did not want the beat to stop, and so she continued to run.

And run and run and run.

Her mis-matched wings were held loosely from her flanks, moving out from her shoulder and then back in again so as to avoid the trees. The exhilaration of knowing that at almost any moment she could strike her joint against one of the tree trunks made the game all the more appealing. A broad and permanent smile was plastered on her death-marked face, while her quad-horned skull bobbed up and down gently with the motion of her gait.

Faster and faster she ran, weaving and darting through the filtering rays of light that burst through the thick canopy above. The air was reasonably warm and already a sheen of sweat lined her cream and maroon coat. Her tail flung high behind her, like a banner declaring her freedom from all that was confining and obligatory in the world: all that mattered now was the rhythm of her breathing in tandem with her heart.

As she galloped, her magic flowed freely from her mind, causing all sorts of shapes to rise up from the mulchy ground, form into vague and obscure shapes, and then promptly fall as she raced by, paying no attention to the scrapped creations.

Image Credits

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

Knox Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 7 Years [Tallsun] HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen
Zsoka
I live the death of the young and the free

She is not the only one running in this wood.

Zsoka calls himself the master of the body because, for now, in this dreamworld of which he is unaware, he is in control. He is unhindered, free, and weightless. The earth that rises to greet him with every bound is like a soft cushion or a layer of cloud. And no longer does that twisted leg bungle each step, no longer does it slow his motion and trip his walk, his run, his flight.

Because, after all, what use does a bird have for running on the ground?

Every churn of the shoulder is a flap of a set of black wings--a wide wingspan that carries him gracefully closer to the center of the deep woods. This place has so much meaning to the one who was once in control of this form, but Zsoka holds no such attachments. The woods are merely a place to stretch his wings, long silken feathered capes with primaries tracing lines in the pine needles dotting the red ground.

When the familiar mare appears before him, his heart lifts. How good it is to see her! He feels as if it has been years, as if this moment of this sighting is his freedom from a cage. His wings tuck as the trees grow closer and he watches her play her game, awkwardly trying to imitate it, in awe of the magic that rises at her side. Knox's jaded presence is gone, for this moment of pleasure.

"Bird, slow down!" he whinnies out into the wood, trying to catch up with her, feeling as if she will never stop running, as if she will never turn to greet him. The thought brings an anger to him, childish and familiar, but when he tries to grasp at its source he finds his mind to be muddled. That memory, that grudge, is gone in this land of feathers and fun.

His wings fold and he runs on their joints as if they were legs, hobbling in an awkward, hopping sort of way, and panting at the exertion of the run. "Bird, slow down! Turn, look, I'm like you now!"

But somewhere in a dark corner this dream is a nightmare. Knox cannot find Manhattan, and Zsoka's lack of care has left her out of this unnatural world. She is gone, and with it the hunter's last tether. Somewhere, in his lost mind, every step of his ancestor's run is a sharp stab of pain and a deadening, increasing weight of four white wings wrapped about the forelegs and neck: choking, pulsing, screaming as the ghost of their body clutches him to remind him of a murder.

[[Dream thread that will be remembered upon waking and have bearing on character development. Knox is dressed as Zsoka. Zsoka thinks his forelegs are wings (and sees them as such--others may as well), is unaffected by his limp leg, and has forgotten why he was ever mad at Isopia. Knox sees the wings as Muriel's wings, covered in blood, and imagines that he is being choked by her ghost. Manhattan is not present.]]

Image Credit

Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd
Isopia
sed quis custodiet  ipsos custodes?

Bird-

She knows the word - the name - and the name means her. Vaguely she recalls whales and excitement and physical weakness that is unspoken. She forgets why the name brings up these connections, but she laughs out loud for she does recall the struggle. Names are hard- she remembers herself saying, long ago. But how long ago? she wonders as she looks down to see her youthful body stretched out lavishly before her. IN some embryonic haze perhaps? Yes...that must be it. When else could picking a name seem so hard?

bird

His voice resonates in her ears and again she smiles. She does have a name. And it wasn't given to her by whales and it isn't hidden. It is bird, and bird means her.

-slow down

And she does. There is no hesitation, no instant frustration or inherent willingness to disobey. His voice does not carry the invisible tethers that bind her in the real world ( real world? And what is--)

Bird, slow down! Turn, look, I'm like you now!

"You're beautiful!" She hears herself say, and the joy in her voice is surprising but welcome. She sees Zsoka as he wants to be seen and knows nothing of Manhattan or Knox. Instead, she feels the radiated sense of ability, and something like limitless potential.

He knows her name ... knows she is bird but does she know his? Some fleeting encounter passes across her mind like a small cloud across the sun. But by the time she looks for the cause of the shade, it has already dispersed and she is cast in the warm rays of the dream.

"You are not like me-" She corrects, looking at his body which is roughly the same size as her own. Although the earth still rises and falls around her, mimicking her heartbeat with the creation and extinction of fantastical shapes around her, she appears wholly mortal.

"-Your bridal. It's amazing." She almost whispers, as if this sort of flattery is best spoken slowly and with dramatic flare. Her golden gaze is genuine as she looks at the small winged life before her.

[@[Knox] HOLY SHIT WINDOWS 10 IS THE DEVIL. I apologize for the weird spacing and the typos. It's the worst and I'm about to smash my laptop :| ]

Image Credits

Knox Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 7 Years [Tallsun] HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen
Zsoka
I live the death of the young and the free

He draws closer. He stops. His whole body, small, innocent, and adorned, is a quivering dream, a wraith-like waif of childhood. Zsoka slows only when he is beside her, stops only when he can feel her heat radiating against his. His hind hooves, small and sharp, cut into the soft soil and his fore-wings flare to fill and cease with air.

She's the same bird he remembered, still thinking more than he could ever imagine would be fun, but she is kinder, maybe. Or was she always like this? He isn't sure. She calls him beautiful and his lips turn up and part with a faint whinny. Beautiful?

He starts to walk, the joints of his wings rising and falling upon the dirt. The lake is there, the same one from before. Or is it a pond? And was it always there?

Zsoka looks down at his own reflection, sees the majesty of which she speaks, and dives in. "I am!" he cries out through the sound of water's rise and decay, "I'm beautiful, and so are you!"

The water is a cushion, a warm hug and kiss from a mother he doesn't remember. He stretches out his wings and floats somehow, on his back like a dead fish, belly up like a kitten. She's telling him something, bird is. Something about their differences.

But what differences are there? No, he can't think of any. He's a bird and so is she, nothing fills him with more joy.

It's his bridle that she singles out, his bridle that she references. And it is only then that he remembers its weight on his features, its awkward tan dangling as it hangs over his too-small façade. "This?" he questions, his head jerking up to look back at Isopia on the shore, "this is just my pop's old junk," he says with a smile and a little wiggle of his hindquarters, nickering as the cool water swishes about with his tail.

She's silly, bird. Always thinking too much. But that's ok, because he needs someone to think for him, sometimes. And the one who normally would is drowning, being pulled deeper underwater by five corpses all hungry and angry, all made up of white, wings, and fire.

[[No worries, windows 10 takes getting used to and I'm working with it too. Sorry I didn't see this tag til now! It's also not my best, my Knox muse has been suffering but I'm trying to get something out for people anyway.
Q: Is Iso just using dreamworldness to feel out that stuff about Knox's bridle and magic? Cause it isn't common knowledge and he actually keeps it all quite secret/wouldn't have told her about it and let her know. If she wants to have a vague sense of it in dream that's fine but irl I'm not sure how she could have that knowledge.]]

Image Credit

Isopia
sed quis custodiet  ipsos custodes?

[Errr yeah. I should have cleared that with you first. Since it's a dream and all, I figured she could know (thinking along the lines of .. .in dream threads you can have whatever magic you want, and if she had some sort of knowledge releated magic she could know, etc etc. I can edit it out/not mention anymore stuff she wouldn't actually know, if you want?) Sorry!!]

The girl shrugs as he brushes off her comment about his bridal. She is instead focused on the water, and how it appears to be so much deeper that she ever could have dreamed. It seems thick, viscous in an impossible way, and the allure blots out his disregard for her attempt at prophecy.

"Watch this-" She says with sudden confidence and a wide smile. Her wings spread from her shoulders, first pointing outwards, then straight up. They curve in, like the hands of a diver, as she edges towards the pool. Gulping a mouthful of air, the girl lunges up and downward, arching her youthful body in the deepening waters of the pool.

All of creation seems to span around her, as the dark and icy chill of the water bites into her bones. Somehow, she finds this comforting. There is no worry for the lack of air, or for the increase in pressure as she descends lower. She ignores the strain of her wings as she pumps them like crude flippers. Instead, she is drawn to something at the bottom - although truthfully she knows that there is  no bottom. She isn't in a pool of water, but in space. No - she's an atom floating in the void of a cell. No - a heartbeat. No - a whisper on the breeze. 

Wherever she is, there's a golden light at the bottom, and she wants to reach it. Will Zsoka help? The impossibility of this venture hadn't even occurred to her - she is too focused on the task at hand (err, hoof) to be bothered by impossibilities and rationality. She is only focused on the light, and the elegant wings that Zsoka sports, and whether they will make him a more able diver than she.

Image Credits