Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

That morning the sun rose to shed it's pallid light upon a world dressed in white. Thick snow lay like sugary frosting on rock and root, hill and toppled tree and all around the trees stood with powered hair as though dressed for a feast. Perhaps they were too. The peak of winter was fast approaching, the nights were long and dark. But it would turn soon. Before long the golden rays, now barely strong enough to make the snow glitter and draw blue shadows beneath the evergreen trees, would regain its power and begin the march towards spring.

Soon, but not yet. Winter still held the world in a firm grip and would not relinquish the hold for days and weeks and more, and in the grueling wait for better times the creatures of the world was put to the test. Only the strong and the lucky would survive to see another spring, only those quick on the feet with their wits about them. But there was nothing new with that. Such had been the way of life since the beginning of time.

The snow lay thick beneath the heavily laden boughs and walking through it was a monumental task indeed. Tracks and paths crisscrossed the shimmering surface, made by smaller and lighter animals that wouldn't break through the thin crust. The stallion was not so lucky. His considerable weight made him sink almost to the chest in the cold powder and the progress he was slow, his shuffling straining and more akin to swimming than walking. Every now and then he stopped to rest, nares flaring in pace with the labored breathing, expelling plumes of frosted breath worthy of a dragon. Then he would be off again, shuffling and weaving through the trees on a fixed southern course, never straying far in either direction.

Something small and bat-shaped broke the pattern of shadow and light on the needle-tainted snow and Lace stopped in his tracks and looked up, smiling as he caught sight of the white dragon.

"Caught anything?" he asked, following her movements as she fell into a loop above his head, decreased the speed with expert skill and dropped down to land upon his back. She was light, hardly even a burden, and the prick of taloned claws to the skin was as familiar as it was comforting.

"No" the dragoness replied, expressing dismay with the flitting tail and the ooze of black smoke that rose from her nose. "Runner was quick, close to the dig. Too close, too quick."

Lace nodded sympathetically, careful not to so much as think of being amused. He had followed the hunt through the bond; Fajira would have been perfectly able to catch the hare if she'd wanted to. But either she wasn't as hungry as she claimed or she had grown soft, because the chase had ended before it even really began and the thrill of it seemed to have weighed up the loss of breakfast.

"You'll catch it next time" he assured instead and turned to lip at the spiny tail that swished over his side, sparing a second for affection before he continued on. The dragon warbled wordlessly in affirmation and slipped off his whithers, taking to the sky again to glide in lazy loops and serpentines. She kept him company, pitying as always the lack of wings that kept him earthbound.

"Is it this much snow everywhere?" Lace asked, panting slightly.
"Yes", she replied. "All forest, and meadow beyond, all white. Lots, lots of pretty-shiny-shimmer-white."

She trilled happily and made a graceful pirouette, clearly delighted. Lace laughed, in high spirits despite the bad news and the weariness of the limbs. He couldn't remember when he'd had a full night's sleep last, or a day where he hadn't been on the move...

"It feels good to be home again" he said with a smile. "Too much time away, I swear this is the last time I do any old friends a favor. I hope Cat's been able to find the help he needs... I didn't like sending him off on his own like that."

Worry drew lines around the gleaming amber eyes, but Fajira seemed far less concerned about the first and only son of her bonded and wouldn't let him descend into brooding, not on a fine day like this.

"Hatchling will be fine" she stated firmly and veered around a tree. "He no fool, knows what to do. Strong heart. Dragon heart."

Lace nodded but didn't reply. She was right about the weather at least; it was a beautiful day with light bleeding down through the boughs and branches, the air was crisp and very cold, and it felt too good to be within Helovia's borders again to ruminate. Laughing aloud to himself and no one in particular the silver-coated stallion pushed himself forward in a serious of bucks and leaps, sending the snow cascading high into the air where it hung like a glittering mist;

"Hellooooo! I'm hooooome!" he shouted out to the land, grinning even as he was forced to slow down - it was impossible to run here, desire as he might.

The echo spread over the hills, bouncing from tree to tree until finally it faded. Fajira listened intently and once all traces of his voice had died out she parted her jaws and added her own call; a haunting, hoarse screech with overtones of silver bells and jubilant laughter. Together they listened to that echo too, and once it was gone they looked at each other for a long time in the dense silence that followed. Then, as one, they both began to laugh, and continued to smile as they continued deeper into the lands.

Home.

[Open to any and all, come say hi! :D]

CREDITS: Schwartze | venomxbaby | 116802
BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Nyx Posts: 292
Deceased atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 11 HP: 72 | Buff: SWIFT
Dominus :: White Lion :: None Snow

STEEL SOLDIER

The winter chill is like an old friend to her now, a decidedly familiar acquaintance that beads her breath and frosts the air that comes from her nostrils. She embraces the frigid temperatures, and simply thanks her good fortune that it's a far cry from the sweltering heat of summer. She slips through the Threshold, eager to do her part for the herd by trying to recruit new members. Despite the cold. If that's not dedication, she doesn't know what is.

Her lion is much less fussed about the snowy ground. He's only disgruntled that hunting is so much more effort when he has to dig for his dinner, but Nyx knows he enjoys the fact that this makes the hunt last longer. No rabbit or vole is safe from his clutches as he throws himself through the snow, easily blending in with it and stealthing up on his prey with his wide, furry paws acting like snow-shoes. Whilst Nyx sinks in up to her fetlocks, Dominus skates easily across the surface, diving face-down into a burrow and emerging with a still-twitching hare between his bloodied jaws. He makes a point of ignoring Nyx's disgust and carrying it alongside her, crimson oozing down his chin.

When the lion sees the dragon, he growls around his dinner, his tail lashing as he sends a vision to Nyx. Flying prey, he states, but the silver mare's heart has already begun to thud. She recognises that dragon - it is the white belonging to none other than Lace. Her stride lengthens into a flowing trot, stepping high over the snowdrifts, eager to reach the man she has always had an immense soft spot for. To think of the irony - he brought her to the Edge when she first entered Helovia, and now she will do her level best to bring him back with her. Role reversal at its finest.

She sees him in all his cobweb-faced glory, and her face splits into a broad smile. Air huffs gently from her nostrils as she reaches out her muzzle to try and touch to his own, tentatively, softly, the greeting of an old friend. "Lace," she greets. He is a good friend, a fine ally, and so attractive it shouldn't be allowed...Dominus gurgles irritably around his hare, before settling down to eat it whilst side-eyeing Fajira with disgust. Blood squirts up the steel soldier's foreleg, but she hardly notices - she only has eyes for the white dragon's bonded. "It's good to see you again, friend." Why did you leave?

@[Lace] LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA*breathe*AAAAAAACEEEEE <33

Other characters have permission to use magic/violence against Nyx at any time.

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

They hear the grunts of the predator from afar, and it takes both dragon and stallion to locate the source of the sound. Lace's stride, which up until that point had been confident and casual when not burdened with the task of shuffling through the snow, slowed at it was with a new caution that he pressed on. Black-rimmed ears stood erect upon the poll as he scoured the line of trees around himself for a sign of whatever it was that growled, and a thought had Fajira sail higher up into the air for a better vantage point.

Their bond was thick, solid, forged from delicate silk into unbreakable iron over years of near-constant communication. They were as close to the other's soul as two beings could be without fusing together, and for all intents and purposes they were one. Lace became aware of the white lion and its darker shadow a fraction of a second after his dragon spotted them, a lapse in time so slight it was almost insignificant. He felt the pang of jealousy at the sight of the fresh kill, the ire of being faced with a challenge from a mere mundane...

... but what Lace really focused on was the mare that emerged form among the trees, pale as the winter and as graceful and strong as a valkyrie. In an instant the readiness in his well-toned body dissipated, replaced instead by a blindingly bright smile of recognition.

"Nyx!"

There was warmth in his eyes as he nudged his nose to hers, and true affection as he went further; the silvery neck cradled to accommodate her slender form as he meant to bring her into a tight embrace.

"Truly, it has been too long! You look well. More than well" he added and took a step back, golden eyes glittering with appreciation as he gave her a quick once over.

"How have you been, how's the herd? Tell me everything!"

The muscles in his cheeks ached from smiling so much, but he just couldn't help himself. Lace had missed Helovia, missed all the ones he had used to know, and this was a particularly pleasant welcoming because the first face he got to see was that of a friend.

Fajira was not as delighted. She kept hovering over their heads, ignoring Nyx for the most part - save for a fleeting warble of recognition and a vaguely cheerful pirouette in greeting - in favor for the lion. Her pale eyes lingered balefully at the growling cat, and the circles she drew in the air kept inching ever so gradually in its direction. She disapproved of the scorn she was shown, she disapproved of how he had prey and she did not and she was painfully aware of how much bigger the lion was compared to her house-cat-sized self... But while she was fully prepared to defend her pride and life, the dragoness was oddly hesitant to inflict harm upon the insolent brat. She was the White, and that made her (in her own eyes) queen over everything else that was white. The snow on the ground, the whiteness of Silverthorn's mane, it was all hers... and she loved it.

And this lion was white too. So was she supposed to love him too?

The thought rather irked her.

@[Nyx]

The Store | The Warden

STEEL SOLDIER

With a savage tug, Dominus tears the rabbit's head from its fixings. It rolls away a short distance and, after snapping up the rest of the carcass, the lion begins to play with the head. He bats it from paw to paw, rolling it across the snow and then biting it until its skull cracks, all the time keeping his eye on the dragon, daring her to try and take it. Is she noms? he questions his bonded, and the mare gives him a whithering glance. "Go for it. You'll look great with half your mane burned to dust." The thought sobers the giant feline, and with an irritable grunt he goes back to playing with the head.

Nyx looks back to Lace, not even noticing him giving her the once-over because she's doing exactly the same to him. She feels guilty for doing so, because after all, hadn't she promised to have a spar-with-possible-added-sexytimes with handsome young Déodat? But she can still look, and look she does. He's aged well, like fine wine. He is still the same man that her father so respected, but he's older now, harder. When they met back in the time of Isilme, she'd always thought him sort of...innocent. Not now.

He pulls her close and she bends willingly into the embrace, a small and gentle whicker of pleasure leaving her flared nostrils. "So do you," she says, dragging her gaze from him with one flick of her icy eyes. He asks what's come of the Edge, and the steel soldier gives a small snort. Where to start?

"I'm unsure when you left, but when I returned after leaving to find my father, I was brought back to the Edge by a mare named Resplendence. I found it ruled by Kaj and Kahlua still, but also a stallion called Archibald. There'd been some...trouble within the herd, as they were currently sheltering the Moon Goddess, who'd apparently gone on a bit of a murder spree." She's also found the glass wall shattered to pieces, to her dismay. At the memory, Dominus grunts angrily, remembering the vicious stab of broken glass into his paw. "Shortly after I joined, we invaded the Hidden Falls. I've got no idea why, I just know I was asked to remain in the Edge and guard against any counter-invasion. I wasn't best pleased." She laughs, short and sharp. She can laugh about it now, but she'd been furious at the time about missing her chance to bathe her horn in blood.

"After the invasion, the herd split in two - some of us remained in the Edge, whereas some moved to the Falls. Kaj and Archibald took the Falls' crown, and Kahlua held a contest of sorts to determine the Edge's new leaders. It was stressful, to say the least, and a couple of the herds' residents made their disapproval of the choices clear. I damn near ran a gobby little grullo shitbag through with my horn." Not knowing she's fantasizing about the stabbing of Lace's own son, of course. "Anyway, two new kings were chosen. A unicorn named Mauja, and a black two-horned guy called Torleik." She'd finally learnt Black Hottie's real name in the most recent meeting.

She looks to him then. "So what have you been up to?"

@[Lace]

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

White wings carried her expertly round and around as she surveyed the cocky lion through narrowed slits. A squawk of dismay left pearly throats as the head of the hare was sent flying - the manners! Absolutely appalling - and as the challenger began to toy with it the dragon had had enough. She angled herself towards the ground, half folded the milky membranes and dove in a sharp angle, fully intending to snatch the bloody ball away and teach the cheeky brat a lesson.

She fell, claws extending, tail whipping in concentration...

... and a surge of emotion through the bond made her swerve abruptly, letting out a furious shriek as she tuned in on the intensity of Lace's emotions.

"Archibald!?" the stallion hissed, interrupting Nyx before she'd barely gotten started. "What in the five hells was he doing in the Edge, that back-stabbing, dog-stinking son of a..."

It was with great difficulty he swallowed the rest of the insults that burned on the tongue, seething and growing visibly more shock and angry as Nyx kept talking. The Moon murdered people? How, why? She had always been meddling in the affairs of mortals but he couldn't remember Her doing anything so crude and pointless before.

"All the Edge must have gone completely insane. Invading? Selecting Mauja as king? And Torleik.... why Torleik?" Lace shook his head in disbelief. If this story had come from anyone else...

It was hard to keep the tone civil, hard to remember that Nyx probably didn't have the whole story, couldn't know the long history of feuds and resentment - not with him personally, but between the Edge and the Basin. It was also hard to remember that he wasn't a member of the herd anymore, hadn't been for several years. What right did he have to object to the choices of the Weyr?

"Still, it's just as well that the murderous bastard didn't stay in my forest" Lace muttered as he absently started to pace back and forth, the good mood completely wiped away by the news. He had not forgotten that Archibald and his foul mutt were responsible for almost killing Fajira, nor had he forgotten their participation in the invasion attempt those years ago. "Are you saying that this war took place without the full consent and awareness of the herd? I cannot believe that the Qian would stand for such a thing, to let themselves be run over by... And Kahlua of all people! I'd have thought her to be the last to call for war and bloodshed.
It worries me that Mauja sits on the throne considering his... past, and I don't see why a longtime resident of Aurora Basin would be interested in the crown of another kingdom, but what bothers me most is how the spirit of the herd has changed.

"Have they completely forgotten what they fought for in the first place?"
he said, vexation palpable as the grullo turned back towards Nyx with a jerk of the head, silken mane a pale cloud dancing around the flattened ears. "I fought and shed blood for a chance to live in peace, not to heedlessly attack anyone without proper cause! What do they think they're doing?"

Again Fajira screamed out his chagrin, grating tones accented by glowing red hot embers that scattered from the maw. She dove abruptly and snatched at the hare skull to tear it out of the lion's grasp and with another shriek she made to fly off with it, recklessly taking Dominus up on his challenge.

The Store | The Warden

STEEL SOLDIER

The dragon takes him up on his challenge, and the lion gives a hiss of delight. He presses one paw down hard on the head and his other paw lifts, claws popping free of their sheaths and extending savagely upwards, hooking his barbed talons in preparation to rip through tender wing-flesh...

But she swerves, and the cobweb-stallion's sudden explosive rage drags a thunderous roar from the lion's gaping jaws. He rises, preparing to leap, to protect - but Nyx mentally hauls him back. She, too, is shocked at Lace's display of emotion, because he'd always struck her as so calm, so cold. Evidently there is a beast in every man. "Can I, uh, assume you don't like Archibald?" He wasn't exactly her bosom-buddy either, but she respected him as one of the few to have defeated her in battle.

Her story incites more ire from Lace, and she's almost quelled by it. "They were chosen based on who could best protect the herd using their tactics. Torleik is the military lead, who organises the soldiers like myself, whereas Mauja is the more diplomatic lead." Which is a shitload of irony considering the things the spotted one had told her about his murder-happy ways. She fixes Lace with her icy stare. "What history is there between you and these men?" Had he fought with them? Had they stolen his favourite woman, slaughtered his child? He paces, and her gaze follows him, tail twitching anxiously. She's never seen him like this, and she doesn't like it.

"As for the war taking place without consent...I confess I'm unsure. I only know what I was told, and I assume the decision to invade was not taken lightly." Helovia isn't like Isilme, wars aren't a daily passtime. She knows the leads wouldn't endanger the herd without good reason, especially not Kahlua. At Lace's concerns about Mauja, the silver twitches her head. "Mauja has told me some things about his past, but in spite of that I think he is a good man, Lace. I wouldn't say I trust him, but I respect him and I believe he wants what's best for the Edge. Torleik is an unknown quantity, as I've never spoken directly to him. He gets a gold medal for handsome brooding, though." Whoops, did I say that out loud?

He turns, and she looks back to him. "Maybe you should come back there with me, to try and right these wrongs?" Her expression is hopeful. She'd love to have him back living with her again, and she's sure he could put forward some good ideas to improve the herd.

Fajira swoops for the head, and Dominus releases an anguished bellow as she snatches it from him. Again his hooked claws reach out, attempting to grab hold of both sides of her svelte, long tail to try and rasp his talons down each side of it and attempt to drag her down to earth. How dare she take a cat's prize! Nyx turns to him with a hiss, but she's powerless to stop him when he loses his temper. Like her, he has something of the storm in him.

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

Lace snorted. To say that he didn't like the big brute was an understatement - his dislike for the man was overshadowed only by the hate he felt for the Reaper, and made much more sense.

"No, I don't" he replied, pressing the lips together in a taught smile that looked more like a grimace. "We fought on different sides in an invasion attempt a few years back. Thanks to him Fajira almost died. She would have died if it weren't for Smoke. It is hard to hold any positive thought on the one who almost condemned you to a life of emptiness."

He remembered vividly the horrible void within that had plagued him that one time when the gods disappeared and took all the magic with them. The silence of the bond, how splintered he had become... The thought of that state being permanent, to no longer be bathed in the bright flame that was Fajira... it still gave him nightmares.

"As for Mauja and Torleik... Mauja used to rule World's Edge before, but perhaps you know this already? He was king when the Qian took over, and I've been told that the herd was full of unicorn supremacists. That was the reason we targeted that land and not another as our family could no longer be sustained elsewhere... That, and Mirage always favored the Moon."

He quieted for a moment, eyes softening as he remembered the shadow-kissed Dragonheart. It had been a long time since he last saw her. Years now, long and empty years of aimless wanderings and lingering regret. Ah, if only he could meet her again, if just once, and tell her all the things he left unsaid.

"Aside from that, I know for a fact that Mauja murdered one of my friends. I don't know about the rest of them, but I have not forgotten Torasin."

"Or Kiba!" the dragoness wailed, voice riddled with unshed tears. She tilted a wing and aimed a swat of the glimmering tail towards a giant paw, the sharp claws unable to create as much as a scratch on her hard scales. High, high up in the air she flew, and when she reached the peak of the climb she let the skull fall down, down, towards the waiting lion. Then she followed, diving rapidly once more to try and catch the macabre ball before the white-maned cat caught it.

Lace spared her a glance and a pained smile, he too feeling the loss as he spoke the beloved names.

"As for Torleik... We got off on the wrong hoof from the moment we met - I believe you were there, were you not? Just after you joined the ranks - and I haven't heard anything in his favor until now..."

The stallion sighed and shook his head, grimacing slightly. That had been a disaster from beginning to end, and not a moment he was proud of. If anything his resentment towards Torleik was based not on any fault of the black's, but rather on the fact that Lace couldn't bring himself to apologize or admit openly that he had been wrong. There was that matter of the former affiliation with the Basin too, and when that place was concerned he was not likely to change his mind. Not while Deimos still stood as Lord.

Oh, there were issues everywhere, and his memory too long. Her invitation to come back to the Edge was tempting, the idea of returning to the mist-veiled forest as tantalizing as ever, but... Could he? More importantly, should he? Personal resentment aside, he might not be the only one to hold grudges.

"I don't know, Nyx. Call me a prejudiced old fool, but there is too much baggage with these names. I'm not sure if I can look past old grievances and work together with these people. I hardly believe they will let me in just like that either." His smile this time was dry, humorless. "If anyone ever had a potential for causing unrest amongst the ranks it would be me. Are you prepared for the consequences if I came along? I would never be able to remain silent and just obey, you know. It's been too long since I was a mere soldier, unconcerned with the politics."

He envied her that, Lace realized. Once he too had been happy to simply follow orders, do as he was told and fight whoever the leaders pointed at. But time has changed that. Mirage had changed that, offered him responsibility and a chance to change things, affect events before they unfolded. His reign had not been long and he still did not know how it had been received, but the weight of duty was hard to forget. And whilst he was not one to become mindlessly drunk on power, he knew he changed once it came within his grasp...

In some ways, permanently.

The Store | The Warden

STEEL SOLDIER

He nearly killed Fajira. The silver snorts her displeasure, casting a glance down to Dominus. They might argue often, they might not always see eye to eye, and Nyx might want to slap him silly sometimes, but she loved him. Would die for him. If something happened to him, if he was killed...she couldn't imagine the emptiness. "I understand," she murmurs, continuing to look down at the lion. But, says the little voice in her head, crawling like a cockroach through her thoughts; you did the same thing. When she fought Archibald, had she not aimed a double-barrelled kick at his bonded? If she'd hit full-force, could she have not killed the dog and condemned the stallion to emptiness? How could she judge? She'd been afraid, deathly scared of carnivores - ironic, given what she was now bonded to - and had reacted accordingly. What if Archibald had done the same?

But she says nothing, worrying that Lace will judge her if he knows what she almost did.

Her head and ears prick as the grullo explains that Mauja had ruled the Edge before - no, she hadn't known that. Unicorn supremists. She twitches. Oddly enough, she seems to befriend a lot of unicorn supremists, even though she does not share their beliefs. Mauja, d'Artagnan, Déodat, all men who made their racism evident, brazen and unashamed...the mare had never understood it. She'd lain with kings without horns, with wings and not, and borne hybrid children for them. She was good friends with Lace, an equine. Yet she consorted with racists, and turned a blind eye to their behaviour. What did that make her?

"The Edge is mixed-race now, despite being ruled by two unicorns. I think...perhaps racism is something you grow out of. A disease that you eliminate." Nyx's parents had had the right idea. Create an army based on strength, not based on what species you were. How successful they'd been! Admittedly Adalwulf had also managed to create a gigantic army made only of equines, but he'd been the exception, not the rule.

The soldier is distracted by a savage hiss, and watches Dominus' claws glance off the dragon's scales. He retreats, the tail whisking narrowly over his head, death-glaring the flying dragon. In a display of feline pride, he turns his back on Fajira then proceeds to clean his claw-sheaths with a barbed tongue, studiously ignoring her attempts to goad him into jumping for the head. Kings like him do not play with lesser species. Nyx can feel his disgust at the loss of his toy, and snorts her amusement.

At the mention of Torleik, the silver's eyes widen. Oh, Cinnoru - I remember. That's why Black Hottie had looked so familiar. It had happened shortly after she joined the Edge the first time and she'd been there, watching, as Torleik and his young companion came to the great glass wall. There'd been an altercation between him and Lace, and Nyx had watched in horror as everything spiralled into madness. The things Lace had said about unicorns had shaken her to her core, given she was one. "Damn. I'd forgotten about that." Her head swings thoughtfully to the side, resting one front hoof as she muses over the memory.

Given his history with the leaders, she isn't surprised when he hesitates about joining her. Disappointment stabs an arrow through her heart, but she can understand the decision. "The only thing I can hope is that time has mellowed both their stance and yours, Lace. I would love to have you living with me again - I don't have many friends, but you're one of them." She manages to summon up a somewhat weak smile.

A mere soldier, unconcerned with politics. She winces. That's what she is, down to a tee. If Mauja or Torleik commands her to attack something or someone, she will do so, and ask questions later. She has always been a follower, not a leader - a gun for hire, not a queen. Neither Mauja nor Torleik have yet earned her devout loyalty, because neither of them have defeated her in battle and that's her barometer for offering her services without question, but she does respect them and would likely do exactly as they commanded. "I'm prepared for those consequences," she says, looking at him straight. "Maybe....maybe the Edge needs more people like you, who will question the leaders' decisions, rather than people like me, who just go along with them without batting an eyelid."

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

He regarded her patiently as she mulled over his words, the masked face impassive despite the multitude of emotions that writhed on the inside. He wanted to return home and he wanted nothing more than to leave the place behind like he had done so many other lands before. He wanted to go back to the cool shadows and the mysterious goddess he mistrusted yet respected, and yet he still had tasks to complete, set him by no less than two of her brothers. He wanted to see Mirage, but didn't know whether she was alive, whether she was in Helovia, whether crossing paths with her again would make him happier or weighed down by the passing years like never before.

And then there was the matter of his son.... The old elation at the thought of the long-legged colt, so similar to himself, came over him as a rush of mellow wind and softened the aging heart by sweeping away all doubt. It didn't really matter where he went, after all, as long as he would be able to watch over and aid the boy. He would have to work hard to mend all his old relations if a solution to the.. eh.. problem was to be reached, and where better to start than the Edge?

But why, oh why was it so hard to let go of that old suspicion?

"It's mixed because Qian made it so" he couldn't help but mutter, unable to let the issue drop when the mare tried to defend the two Kings. "Racism isn't something you just grow out of, Nyx, you of all should know that. Look what became of Isilme - if it was as simple as a teenage phase to overcome your home would still be standing."

Then he sighed again and shook his head.

"I really hope you are right though. If they've mended their ways... I know not all the unicorns of the Basin shared the same ideals, perhaps not even before the war, and maybe the others have seen sense..."

It wasn't even the desire to live with ones own kind that he objected to, even though it seemed pointless to himself - how were they different, after all, save for those bloody horns they kept waving about like crowns - but rather the tendency to disregard talent and worth based solely on appearance. It was the same as saying that no black horse was able to survive in the desert or that all pinto's were unintelligent. Short-sighted, narrow-minded, hypocritical bullshit.

Well. Lace didn't really believe that these things vanished in a horse overnight, but nor was he going to stoop to that same level and deny the bastards a chance to prove him wrong.

He smiled affectionately and reached out to touch a velvet nose to Nyx's cheek, only half aware of Fajira's attempts to goad the lion back into the game.

"I yield" he half-chuckled. "Couldn't very well back down after that challenge, now can I? Besides" he admitted, relaxing as he moved to fall in beside her, "I've missed the old family, and you, too. Don't know how many of them are left... But I'll have all the time to find out now, won't I!"

He inclined his head and motioned for the pale mare to lead the way, not ignorant to the irony of the situation. Last time he had been the one to guide her to the seaside forest, and now the roles were reversed. It remained to be seen of course whether he would be allowed to remain in the herd, whether he could stomach bowing his neck to the likes of Mauja and Torleik... but at least he would try. That had to count for something, right?

Fajira, meanwhile, recognizing defeat, let off a disgusted sound and dropped the battered, bloody rabbits head, flicked the tail in silent contempt at the lion that refused to fight and swept off among the trees to look for prey on her own. She was not so indulgent as to coddle the younger predator - he may be white but he was no dragon, and if he didn't want to continue then she would not make him.

The Store | The Warden