the Rift

[OPEN] True to Your Heart

Johnny Posts: 161
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 13 hh :: 10 years
Jellybean :: Common Griffin :: Molten Dagger Sarah
Johnny
The mission, should I choose to accept it, is to explore every single inch of this herd land and meet every single face. I mean, of course I was going to accept it because that sort of mission sounded just right up my alley. It was perfect. I basically didn’t really have to do anything except tramp through the snow and say hello to everyone I saw. And I really, really did not mind that second part because I had yet to see a face that wasn’t just gorgeous in this herd. You’re going to hear me use that word a lot I’m afraid but honestly, I just can’t get over it! The water here must be infused with something!

I’m walking among gods and goddesses and I’m really not complaining. As a verified candy horse, pretty much everything about the ‘natural’ bodies surrounding me is just fascinating.

I’m adorable, I know that, but these long-legged unicorns are just on a whole other playing field. I’m totally cool with sitting back with a cocktail and watching them work. But you know, I’ve got like… responsibilities now or something. I’m a weaver, yo. I can… weave stuff.

Yeah okay so I still don’t really understand what that means but I’ve just got to find something to practice with I think.

It stopped snowing around midday and the sky actually cleared up - so right now there is this magnificent pale blue sky stretching above the mountains and gosh, it’s wonderful. I’m taking a bit of a break in my exploring to lie down and just look up at the sky. Because that blue, you know? That’s the sort of blue where you just need to lie down in the snow and look up and admire it. It’s too blue to ignore. Anyone that’s looking down at the earth right now is seriously missing out.

Unless they’re looking at me because hey, against the soft white snow my pink points and flashy red hair just look fabulous so that’s a pretty cool thing to be looking at too.

If you’re looking at me I’m going to give you a solid A- for choice on what to look at because even I have to admit that the sky is where it’s at right now. If only it could snow and have the sun shining like that well - Frostfall would just be even more perfect.
I'm your sweet sugar Candyman
Image Credit
Table by Sevin!

for @[Ashamin]! <3
idk what Johnny is on but it seems like good stuff

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen
Ashamin

Ashamin was about to break Johnny's lucky streak of finding only beautiful people.

Scarred and covered head to toe in the mark of exhaustion, Ashamin with the twisted horn dragged himself through the frozen landscape of snow in the mid afternoon. The lanky beast trudged and let each narrow hoof fall heavily, piercing the snow and kicking up its dust. Though the sarong swung with his every labored movement and threatened to brush up against the snowbank very frequently, Lochan still slept. Ashamin was beginning to suspect the truth: his companion was a nocturnal creature, and wouldn't rise save for in the night.

But Ashamin, being one to stick to plan and routine, forced himself to wake in the morn regardless of how sleepless the night had been. Last night in particular had been an exhausting one--every few moments Lochan, bored, had butted his marked fore against Ashamin's chest for attention. Each time the stallion had roused, eyes half open, tail waving dismissively and sparking beyond his control, and the stone in his horn rattling faintly. Now, when Lochan slept so soundly, he still couldn't bare to wake him.

It was not long before the exhausted buck caught sight of another, and though he'd never spoken to him before he at least recognized the strange stallion: Johnny, the newly promoted weaver. Ashamin tried to pick up his pace despite the still-aching hindquarter and the limp it had bestowed upon him, and did his best to wipe the haggard look from his features. It was good to find one that could craft things at this moment in his life; Ashamin had something in mind.

"Johnny!" Ashamin's tones rang over the cold. He had learned quickly that almost nothing could wake the deep sleeper at his breast, and he was able to ignore the small fits, kicks, and starts that Lochan might take out on him in such moments. The haruspex had, after all, managed to fall back asleep the night prior.

At the meeting he had noticed that the stallion was, well... odd. Still, he pressed on. "Johnny, it is good to see you," the buck supplemented, his voice quivering not from the cold but from the strangeness of the situation. Something almost saccharine had drifted on the wind when Johnny had been near him at the herd gathering, and the scent was no less potent now. Ashamin wrinkled his nose slightly and snorted, unsure still as to his thoughts on it. And Johnny was an interesting creature, too, with his candy striped mane and his cheerful complexion. Ashamin had never seen another like him.

Had he bothered to look up, he would have perhaps been more taken with the sky.

[[Johnny is so fun! So excited for this. :)]]

""

Credit

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Atlas Posts: 54
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 HH :: 5 HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Linds
Atlas
If I were a keener man, I would have kept to myself in the brilliant little cave that I’d come to call home right there in the Basin. But I liked to argue that I was more virile than most and even the bitter cold of the north was no match for my strength of will… of course, until it was. I hated the snow and I hated the cold and at times I wished that the Basin was a beachfront property with an ocean view and loads of lovely Unicorn ladies splashing about on the shores below my high-rise balcony. What a dream it would be to experience such a magical scene…

But no, it was cold, it was icy, and everything was blanketed in a thick sheet of white. Somehow I’d grown accustomed to the mats in my fetlocks and how filthy the tip of my tail had gotten since dragging it through the mud and snow… Was this supposed to be a Unicorn’s paradise? Were we supposed to pretend that we didn’t enjoy warm weather because our hearts were clearly black and devoid of emotion? I honestly didn’t get it and truly I didn’t think I ever would… so much for the captivating beauty of the Aurora Basin.

The snow had finally stopped –for a short time I was sure- and naturally I’d wandered out of the hole I’ve been living in for the past few days. I hated that no matter where I went it was like picking through a briar bush so that mud and snow –and god-forbid SHIT- didn’t follow me home at night. However, it was somewhat nice to stretch my legs –or a godsend since I felt like a crumbling, star-kissed monument- and besides, I had a job now. I was supposed to make stuff… with my skills for making… stuff. Apparently it was my duty to seek out the current weavers –whom I could only assume wove stuff- and offer them my assistance. I mean, they could look at me for inspiration if they liked, but I wasn’t quite certain I knew much of anything about… weaving.

The big lady on campus had mentioned a couple of names during that giant gathering of the horned-folk, but I’d had no idea what those blokes looked like. Was I supposed to approach every strange man and woman in the Basin to ask if they were Ulrik or Johnny? I mean was that something they did here? It wasn’t until I’d wandered about –aimlessly mind you- for an eternity that I was lucky enough to stumble upon the one man I’d been looking for, or rather one of them… or well, dammit, someone else looking for them. Chance was a funny thing that had never been on my side before, but when I heard pouch-boy hollering like an idiot for someone named Johnny, I knew I’d hit the lucky-bastard jackpot.

It took me a good while to find my way toward the pair and when I finally laid eyes on the Basin’s “Weaver”, my jaw dropped. Not only was he about the size of my hoof, he was also that queer lookin’ little sweet dude from the meeting! For the Gods sake, I could smell him from a mile away –truthfully maybe 20 feet- but when I saw Ashamin-the-pouch-man, I smiled in a good-natured hello. “Where’s your woman?” I asked upon approach, while simultaneously looking around for any sign of the mare. After finding no trace of her –and she was hard to miss- I looked back to the candy-striped pony with an awkward frown. “Johnny right?” I questioned doubtfully. “I’m Atlas and it looks like I’m supposed to be your new assistant… you know, to help you weave,” I finished on a sigh.

When I felt I’d introduced myself in such a satisfactory way that I had simply nothing else to do, I glanced over at Ashamin with a lopsided grin. However, there was something different about him… something that looked just a little bit-

What the hell was that thing?

In that ugly little pouch he’d been carrying since I’d met him there was a, well, I didn’t know what the shit was it. Without thinking I stepped forward for a closer look, all the while ignoring any and all personal boundaries. “Please tell me that thing isn’t dead.
Coding by Tamme || Image Credits

@[Johnny] @[Ashamin]

Run towards the stars, or make them shine. Fight the tide, until the day we die.

▌ Please tag Atlas in all replies
▌ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
▌ Pixel by DarkShadow

Outcast
Johnny
Upon hearing my name I twisted in my snow bed to see a familiar-ish face. I had seen him at the herd meeting and I remembered that he had received a promotion as well. Ashamin? But honestly none of that mattered because right then and there he was my favourite horse-thing in the entire world. Do you have any idea how long it has been since I was recognized??? Oh my gosh I missed that feeling. Like I really just wanted to leap up and plant a big ol’ kiss on this guys cheek. He was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. I refrain, however, and merely roll over properly before standing so that we were more-or-less at eye level (the less being on my side).

I would have found him pretty on any other day too - sure he was exhausted looking, and lanky, but I don’t know if you’ve realized this yet but I have like no standards when it comes to beauty. I find everyone beautiful. I find his exhaustion endearing and his dark eyes enchanting.

And there is the matter that he knew who I was so yeah, pretty stoked about that. “It’s good to see you too, Ashamin! You were promoted to the… uh, H-something or other rank…” What the sugar-coated donut was that rank? Ugh whatever. Let’s move on.

Oh look! Someone new!

Like honestly, what is going on in Helovia?? The stallion that joined me and the adorable Ashamin actually had fricken stars on his coat. Like he just waded through the sky and oops, some of it stuck?! What the hell. And here I am, with my glorious pink points and bright red hair. I mean I’m cute but these guys? They could both get it.

I feel so spoiled when Atlas, as he introduced himself, said that he was here to assist me. I could think of a lot of things that I would like Atlas to assist me on, especially with Ashamin joining… oh the things we three could do… but I had a feeling that was not exactly what he had in mind. Maybe the Basin was just that good to their Weavers? I could dream!

I guess he mentioned something about helping me weave, didn’t he? I’m totally cool with forgetting that because I’ve basically been daydreaming for the past 10 minutes. “Oh well jeepers, isn’t that just splendid! Always happy to have some help. It’s wonderful to meet you, Atlas.”

I snap out of it though when Atlas asks Ashamin whether something was dead or not. “ What’s dead?!”
Image Credit
Table by Sevin!

@[Ashamin], @[Atlas]

Ashamin

"Haruspex," Ashamin replied with a smile.

There was a pleasant aspect of Johnny that Ashamin was happy to see. He wasn't sure he'd ever have the energy to keep up with the older weaver, especially not now, but he was happy to be around that sort of positive energy. Not to mention, that sort of enthusiasm was something Ashamin needed now, in the winter, in the preparation of this gift.

With his long tail curling and rippling behind him, his tesla coil sending sparks over the snow bank as it grazed the icy surface, he spoke once more. Perhaps it was his exhaustion that led him to cut to the chase, now--perhaps it was all just a way to get back to his Haruspex's cave sooner. "I had wanted to ask y-"

Where's your woman?

Ashamin snapped his features back, his neck arched, his lip upcurled in surprised jest, and his long tail lashing instinctively. Of course, it was Atlas. That stallion had a knack for following him around, didn't he? If Atlas didn't watch himself, he might give a boy the wrong impression. Maybe Johnny's dreams would come true.

But it was doubtful. Ashamin would have to like Atlas for the weaver to get his wish, and the Haruspex wasn't sure if "somehow tolerating" was friendship, let alone anything else. Then again, it was good for Ashamin to hang around that star-marked statue, even if Atlas had more nonsense to say than anything of use. But, like Johnny, like Tiamat, he did have a lot to say. Ashamin was starting to notice the trend and his own reticence, even if it stemmed only from contrast.

Just as Ashamin was about to correct Atlas yet again, to assure the apprentice that Tiamat was only her own, Atlas spoke again. He was thankful that this time, it was to Johnny. And he was thankful, too, that Johnny had such eagerness and kindness to share. Something about Atlas just made Ashamin... grumpy. Maybe it was good for him--maybe that was why whenever the apprentice showed up, Ashamin could never get himself to leave.

Ashamin smiled at the interaction between the pair. Two crafters before him, and one item to make. What a convenient meeting. "Maybe you can help too, Atlas, I-"

Again, interrupted. This time the attention was drawn to Ashamin and his ward. Instinctively, the stallion exposed his teeth and let out a faint protective whinny. "Nothing's dead," Ashamin corrected, turning to Johnny and lowering his lips into a smile. The sugary stallion's concern and shock was charming. He shifted on his hooves, turning to face Atlas and better show him his charge, revealing, in turn, his scars to Johnny. "This is Lochan, Atlas. He often sleeps through the days, I've found, but he is my steadfast companion nonetheless."

Ashamin looked tenderly down at the sleeping babe surrounded in silk. No, not dead, just sleeping with a fierceness that no one could interrupt.

""
[[@[Johnny], @[Atlas]; COMPLETELY forgot a poem for you last time, sorry guys! <3]]

Three ways to go from here
Three paths to tread
one to my kindness and
two to your bed
Three ways I'll conquer us,
three ways I've led
Three to creations
you weave in your head

Credit

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.

Atlas Posts: 54
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 HH :: 5 HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Linds
Atlas
If I’d known any better, I would have picked up on Ashamin’s frustration with me, but of course I was too consumed with Johnny and the fact that he smelled of honeyed wine. It was such a soft fragrance, but also hugely delicious… I was tempted to ask for a taste but thought better of it considering I didn’t want anyone getting the wrong idea… He just smelled so damn good, like fresh-baked, homemade, candies, sprinkled in a layer of fine-ground powdered sugar... Really, that was where my fascination ended, because when I got to the bottom of my desires, I found that Johnny truly only made me hungry and that’s wasn’t something a man in his right mind would ever want to admit to.

Helovia was proving to be just as eclectic as I’d thought. There were magically beautiful hybrids, candy-coated ponies, dainty rose-colored maidens, and even brooding unicorns with tails much too long for their bodies. It was just like a fancy dinner party with exotic, foreign meals that no one in the room could name with any degree of certainty… I guess that was what made everything taste so divine.

After giving up any hope of finding Ashamin’s little water nymph, I turned back around to face the weaver and catch a big whiff of his sugary aroma. I wondered how long he would be able to survive life in the Basin, considering unicorns weren’t the only ones lurking in the shadows there. I’d heard the wolves at night and from what I’d gathered of them, they lived in packs large enough to take down a bull elk… I could only imagine what they would do a little bloke like Johnny. Perhaps he needed an apprentice like me around, if only to keep him safe. I needed to learn everything I could before I let a lousy wolf take him from me.

Of course if he kept using phrases like oh jeepers, I wasn’t sure I would be able to find it in my heart to keep him alive. There were two weavers in the Basin right? Essentially I didn’t need Johnny… he was just the first one I’d come across. Better to be prepared for anything right? “Nice to meet you too. I guess we’ll be seeing a lot of each other from now on…” I revealed with a slight scowl.

When would be a good time to tell him to refrain from being a little sugary asshole so I didn’t decide to literally feed him to the wolves?

In all of our ruckus (between Johnny’s questionable demeanor and my own inability to overlook it) I’d nearly missed Ashamin’s attempts to get a word in edgewise. Or maybe I had noticed and just didn’t care. I laughed at the truth of such a notion and turned again to regard the little creature he had stashed away in the folds of that pouch that he was now so famous for. “Lochan” I tried first, “Lochan… strange name,” I admitted before moving toward him to inspect the companion he revealed. It was probably the ugliest little monster I’d seen in all my life, but in a way it was so damn ugly it was actually somewhat cute. “Well, what it is and why on earth does it sleep so much?” I questioned bluntly while looking back at Johnny.

I mean the thing had three eyes, not two, but three…. When I came back around to study the small whatever-it-was, I was suddenly captivated by a flash of gold that would have gone unnoticed had the sun not looked down upon us when it had. Suddenly more interested by this new and exciting attribute, I moved around Ashamin as if I were a dog more focused on chasing after a ball than the food in my bowl. What I found on his right hindquarter was something I wasn’t sure I’d noticed or seen before.

There were scars there, long and jagged, but they didn’t look like your ordinary scars.

They were made of beautiful, glittering gold….
Coding by Tamme || Image Credits

@[Johnny] @[Ashamin]

Run towards the stars, or make them shine. Fight the tide, until the day we die.

▌ Please tag Atlas in all replies
▌ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
▌ Pixel by DarkShadow

Outcast
Johnny
Obviously, it’s better that I don’t know what’s going on in that brain that Atlas has, however big it might be. I would have taken serious offense to the term ‘asshole’ being applied to myself, even in a warning to not be one. I don’t know how to be an asshole! I mean really, I know I have one but how do you go about being one. Does it start by thinking like one? Because yeah, okay, I’ve thought about the little chocolate covered almonds that are left in the snow but that really doesn’t make me an asshole… right?

Anyway, so Ashamin shifts to show this ADORABLE little creature “Oh gosh! What a cutie!!!” all nestled in some silk and in the process I catch the sight of some golden scars on one of Ashamin’s hips. Well that’s pretty neat! Wonder how he got those? Oh man does Ashamin have golden blood? OR was he scratched by a magical creature that left behind a souvenir that stood out against his lovely paint coat? I was just bursting with questions but there was something that was nagging at me, telling me not to drown this sweet fellow in a bunch of new inquiries.

Uh…

AH because there was something that he had started to ask… or say, or something. Twice now he had started and been interrupted. So even though Atlas seemed pretty interested in coming around to my side and checking out those scars - or whatever he might be looking at and I can’t really blame him if he was back there for another reason but there are things that need to be talked about first! I like to have a full conversation before checking out my friend’s butts, thank you.

There seems to be a bit of animosity between my two handsome friends, which just won’t do. Guess I’m going to have to kill it with sugar.

I really want to show off for my underling, Mr. Star over here, so I do a little shake to get into the business-like mindset (spoiler alert: it won’t last long) and focus on Ashamin. On his face. Not his hindquarters. Obviously. “Oh! You were going to ask me something when you came over, right?” I offer kindly because the conversation is going in a direction that means it will be bouncing between fifty different topics in no time at all and we might as well finish what was supposed to be the first one!
Image Credit
Table by Sevin!

@[Ashamin], @[Atlas] FINALLY HAVE FREE TIME OMG

Ashamin

The differences in the reactions the two stallions had was comical, to say the least. There was Atlas, demanding an explanation, and then Johnny, smoothing over everything with an exclamation and an eventual return to the matter at hand. Naturally, Ashamin was more thankful for the candy stallion's response.

"He likes the night," Ashamin said with a shrug and a sidelong glance to the star-paint whom he could apparently not escape. That was alright, though--perhaps he could learn something from his somewhat abrasive personality, just as he expected to learn something from Johnny's saccharine one. "Perhaps he's a nocturnal sort, I can't say for certain yet. But I know he is a cerndyr, much like Thranduil the Laurelin's," Ashamin answered cooly and matter-of-factly. Hopefully he wouldn't have to explain the matter to Atlas any further; the apprentice had been at, and made a bit of a scene at the meeting, Ashamin hoped he at least knew who Thranduil was.

And then there was Johnny, with his candied attire and makeup, and sugar dripping from his every word. Ashamin could only find himself wrinkling his nose at the smell in uncertainty, and letting the edges of his eyes crinkle at the words. Johnny was a kind and apparently innocent sort. That was something Ashamin didn't expect would make for such terrible company.

He was about to speak when he felt, suddenly, as if all eyes were on his scars. He self consciously lifted his tail to cross and lay over the bright marks, as if it would bring the gazes of his company elsewhere. If they'd even been looking at the scars in the first place, that is. If he wasn't just going a little mad.

The haruspex shook his head, a few folds of the silk falling over Lochan's sleeping figure and obscuring it further from sight as he did so. "Yes, I had hoped to speak to you about crafting an item for one of our ranked soldiers," Ashamin said at last, happy that he could get to the meaning of this visit. Not that he didn't enjoy Johnny and Atlas' company, but, well, it had been growing harder to stay awake when the sun was up. Even now, he was more exhausted than anything else. "I received support in encountering a trespasser, and I thought such steadfast loyalty to the herd should be rewarded. I thought a warm garment would be fitting, given the season," he explained, adding the last bit offhandedly. He was no fashion designer, and of the three here he had the least experience with crafting. But hopefully Johnny, and maybe even Atlas, could come up with something relatively practical that he could gift to Ki'irha for her kindness. He doubted he would forget her support, that night and by his side at Lochan's hatching, anytime soon.

""
[[@[Johnny], @[Atlas]; Yay Johnny and Atlas thread, I love them both so much and this trio is so fun to write! This item got approved to be made for Frostfall as a part of the crafting count so we should try and get it done before July ends if we can.]]

Some might consider our meeting to be
simple coincidences, played out in
ridiculousness...es.
But look here, candyman,
star-painted tomfool,
if this is anything
if it is named,
let me call it kismet.

Credit

Outcast
Johnny
We finally learn about the reasoning for this splendid little gathering and I have to say, it did not disappoint one little bit. “What a wonderful idea!! Oh good job, Ashamin, how thoughtful!” Good looks and good manners? Well if Ashamin wasn’t going to be my new best friend then you might as well just dunk me into your hot chocolate and drink me down. The more this guy talked, heck, the more he stood in my presence the more I liked him. So I’m dancing a little bit at the idea of helping him out. Literally. I start to bounce a little bit as he got deeper into his explanation had to stop myself from rearing up a little bit or trotting around in little circles. I cast a quick glance over at starry-sky Atlas over there to make sure that he was JUST as excited as I was because how could he not be? This was the best idea in the history of ideas.

And I was the one that could help!! Good gosh did that ever make me feel great.

Finally I settle down to the point where I’m just sort of bouncing on the spot and wiggling my butt a little bit because I can’t really contain just how excited I really am.

The fact that I had never actually crafted anything before, just done a bit of practicing, was something that uh… oh shit well now I was thinking about it. But I really really did not want to let Ashamin down, or be a disappointment to Atlas who was here to help? Although I honestly don’t know how he was going to help it sounded like the crafting thing just sort of… happened.

I think I envision whatever it is going to be and sort of… call upon the land or wherever fabric comes from? I’m probably giving away top secret information but I just want you to know that I’m not joking when I say I don’t know what I’m doing.

.I thought about not telling Ashamin that I had never done this before, that he should be gentle with me because it was my first time, but I guess we all have to take the plunge sometime “I would love to help you out with such a noble task. Did you have anything in particular in mind? I’ve never crafted anything before… I think I can do it though. I might even have an idea but you know, don’t want to get all creative license on you or anything if there was a direction you wanted me to take.” I know what I would want to keep me warm on these cold nights but it wasn’t something that you made.

Okay well it is something that two horse-like creatures made probably what… 4 years ago from the looks of him?

Anyway. When it comes to material warming apparatuses I’m a little less creative with what I would like to wear.

Image Credit
Table by Sevin!

Ashamin

Getting to know Johnny? Well, getting to know Johnny was a unique experience.

Ashamin watched, slightly dumbfounded, as the older stallion took words and made them into motion. Everything the haruspex had said, simple as it had been, had apparently excited the sugary crafter to the point where he could not contain it. And so Ashamin watched, jaw slackened but still shut, black pits of eyes widening, as the little white pony danced.

Ashamin himself had never partaken in such joyful responses. Perhaps as a colt, so long ago, he might have fidgeted so. But even then, hadn't he been wrapped in cloth and taught to mourn? Even then, someone had been dead and some tragedy had stifled the song of the feet. Always, someone was dead.

Even now, as Ashamin watched the scene so celebratory that his own heart was stirred to warmth, someone was dead.

The haruspex tried to shake the thought. He offered Johnny a weak smile, turning to him fully and leaving Atlas to whatever brooding state of mind he likely was in. Ashamin was just about to worry his fellow would pass out from excitement when Johnny settled down and began to speak again. Ashamin's long tail curled and snaked about as he listened, ears pricked, heart beating against his bonded's.

So Johnny had never done this before, hmm? Well, that was alright. Weren't the first experiences often the best? The painted buck's smile widened and he stepped closer, reaching out to nudge Johnny's overpoweringly fragrant cheek in his typical fashion. There was encouragement there, too.

"I trust you," Ashamin said cooly, looking over Johnny's front, watching the way light seemed to glitter off that sugary coat. Still, he didn't know how he felt about that scent. "Experienced or not, you were chosen for the rank and I imagine your creative... energy had quite a lot to do with that, yes?"

And with that he stepped back, unsure of the process but suspecting he not be in Johnny's way. His black eyes were sharp, his mind eager to witness the act of the craft and take in the experience for himself.

""

Such newborn joy,
such limitless contentedness.
I'll find it, if I'm lucky.
I'll find it, with some help.

Credit

Outcast
Johnny
Well, Ashamin said that he trusted me and that was all I really needed. Hahahaha just kidding, I needed some experience too and someone to tell me just what I needed to do but, for the sake of those sweet dark eyes I was going to try. Instead of saying anything in response, because my brain and mouth usually can’t work at the same time (typical male amirite?), I sit down. Just plop back on my hind legs and give my brain a minute to catch up. I had some pretty crazy ideas come into my head but I needed to do something… easy. Something I could actually accomplish and then maybe later I could do some more practicing.

I even close my eyes, so I wouldn’t be distracted, and a  moment later - I had it! “Oh! I got it.” You know, I gotta say it out loud for their benefit too. My eyes flash back open and I stand up again, shaking my tail to get rid of the chill tha that set in. “Hold on to your cute little butts let’s see if we can make this work.” Only now I realized that I didn’t have anything to work with. Like… nothing. What was I going to be making this out of? Pretty sure the snow wouldn’t hold together for very long and I wasn’t sure how this herd mate would feel about me making them a gift out of my own hair.

Naw, I’m sure they’d love it but even I understood that might be a little weird.

I’ve got a pretty sheepish look on my face when I turn to Ashamin again, not wanting to admit defeat but I needed to… put a pause on our little gathering for a moment.  “I’ll uh, be right back.” I’ve got this like… thought thing in my head about what a perfect gift would be but I needed something that was going to be pretty tricky to get. Uh, well I hoped it wouldn’t be too hard. I really hoped neither of them were following me because what was about to go down was probably going to be a little bit embarrassing.

So like, the story behind what is about to happen is pretty great but we usually like to keep it less than 700 words so we’re going to give you the Johnny’s Notes version. One day maybe I'll give you the full run down so you can really appreciate. 

You see, the spot where I had picked out to sleep - when I wasn’t trying to weasel in for a snuggle with d’Artagnan or one of the other fine specimens walking around the Basin - was a popular spot. With uh, not just horses. I picked a fight with a mountain goat family when I was there last, and they beat me pretty bad. They weren’t too impressed with a walking candy cane coming over and telling them that these particular pieces of rock were now mine. though I offered to give them a nibble in exchange. Those barbaric creatures just wouldn’t give it up!

The little ones were pretty cute but I wasn’t going to let them walk all over me just because “they were there first” and “they needed to raise their kids” and whatever other excuses they had. I, obviously, went after one of the smallest ones first which was a mistake. Because this really nasty one, there was snot all coming out of his nose and his horns could have use some a serious date with a can of some oil to get all those cracks out, actually chased me out like I was some punk. ME!

I hadn’t been back to that corner of the Basin in some time but, Ashamin needed my help and I had a feeling that this was going to be the only place where I was going to find something to help me make the coziest damn fabric you could think of - fleece.

Sure enough, when I arrive, that despicably adorable goat family is doing their goat thing, all over my would-be bedroom. Ugh! They’re totally not using the right spot for the bathroom and everything is a mess. There’s a few tumbles of wool here and there but not enough. I’m going to need to get a good chunk if I can. I’ve got my eyes on the big guy, because he’s got this huge coat and I’m pretty sure I could take a chunk right out of him and he wouldn’t even notice!!

Maybe I’m not as light on my feet as I thought, or maybe my scent gave me away, because within the next minute I was making a mad dash through their little herd - most of them already scampering higher onto the steep cliffs and the others, the ones with horns too, readying themselves to fight it out with me. I’m gathering up the little chunks of wool that they’ve kicked off here and there but I know that it’s not going to be enough - so I start chasing them.

I hope none of you are even smiling at this point because there’s nothing funny about what was happening. Nothing even remotely ridiculous about a big, angry, wool-infested goat being chased by an elegant, fragrant, unicorn who was in turn being chased by no less than 4 smaller but still angry, wool-infested goats.

In the end, I made it out of there with several new bruises and a large mouthful of fleece.

Hoping that I would find Ashamin in more-or-less the same spot where I left him, I trot back over as quickly as my pride would allow. 

“Please, don’t ask.” I mumble through the material in my mouth. It was pretty dirty, I doubted that old goat had bathed anytime recently, and I was mildly concerned about what I was contracting by keeping it in there so long. Dropping it unceremoniously on the ground, I take a steadying breath and force myself to relax - which was SO HARD relaxing is for chumps - but I manage it. I pulled on something that I had know existed since the herd meeting, a little thread that existed in my mind or wherever dormant magic waits.

Once I started pulling the fur apart, the dirt did not seem to matter so much.. Most of it fell out, shaken away as the hairs were untangled and then woven together

No one will ever need to know what I had to do to get this bundle. I made a mental note to stock up once they started shedding that thick layer in the spring.

Opening my eyes for a second, I checked on the progress and then frowned severely. “No no that’s not right!” The object that had been forming was most certainly not something that you could use to keep warm… it was… uh, some sort of harness....

Pulling it apart quickly, I find the image of what I should be making and start to weave it - using Atlas as a model “You said you wanted to help, right?” as I did so. After restarting a couple more times, I was finally satisfied with the result and turned to Ashamin, heart right there on the fleece-lined sleeves as it were, and waited to hear what he thought.  
Image Credit
Table by Sevin!
[Image: Johnny%20by%20Aud_zpsi3ssx2s1.gif]
magic and physical force permitted at all times
vigorous licking strongly encouraged
please tag in all posts

Ashamin

I uh... I'll be right back.

And in time, eventually, the crafter was back. He looked a little bit less bubbly, a little more rough around the edges, and perhaps a bit worn and beaten, but he was back. Ashamin had watched Johnny dart away with a trace of awe, but he watched him return now with that bewilderment turned to worry. Was Johnny alright? He'd been gone quiet some time, and Ashamin had gotten a bit nervous in the meantime.

But the first thing that candy stallion said upon his return was not to ask, and so Ashamin would obey. Wherever Johnny had gone to retrieve the wad of soft dirty white, it was a secret that would go with that crafter to his grave.

What followed was yet another thing Ashamin was not a part of. He dipped his nose, letting it burrow in Lochan's soft fur, and watched with amazement as Johnny began to weave. So this was the magic of the Aurora Basin, then, aside from his own to read the mirror at night, aside from that of Lena's to turn back time. From nothing but a wad of old fur, Johnny could create something wonderful. The haruspex admired little more than that.

He chuckled, looking up from Lochan, as Johnny used Atlas to his advantage. Certainly the starry stallion could not be pleased to be the doll of one so cheerful and, well, male. But when the object, so precious and flawless, was at last complete, Ashamin let his own inhibitions leave him, for a time.

He rushed forward, forgetting about young Lochan and bracing himself against the weaver's fragrance, and strove to press his chest and cheek to Johnny's. "It is perfect!" he exclaimed, his heart full with excitement, his mind wandering to Ki'irha's response upon receiving such a well made garment.

The haruspex pulled away, a rare smile spread wide across his lips, his long tail flowing behind him, unable to stay still. Apparently Johnny's enthusiasm really was infectious. Lochan, now awoken by the disturbance, brayed in complaint from the folds of cloth. "I can't delay, I have to bring this to Ki'irha. But Johnny, Atlas, please, you are always welcome in my cave," Ashamin went on excitedly, eyeing the pair and then the crafted hood as he did so.

He turned then to Johnny, the moment pregnant with thanks. "Johnny, I would like to meet with you again soon. I know you say you are new to this, but I would like to learn all I can about your crafting abilities, you seem to have a natural talent."

At this he bent to take hold of the hood, placing it gently over the figure of Lochan, in complaint-filled repose, and prepared himself for the gifting to follow. "Thank you both."

""
[[We can wrap this up soon? Since we have Johnny and Asha going again already and Frostfall will probably be over soon. Remember Sarah you can get contest points for this :)]]

He had adventures that day,
the likes of which
I'll never know.
And what you were dreaming,
in crayon painted days,
I fear I'll never understand.

Credit

Outcast
Johnny
So, there were a couple blissful moments between finishing the craft where I felt nothing but pride and excitement - I had helped Ashamin! I had made that!! - before the exhaustion hit me like an ice cream truck. I’ve never really used magic before - the little tricks that you learn in Nocturne were nothing compared to pulling apart a hunk of sheep fur and then turning it into a beautiful fleece hood. Oh sure, I could make it snow around me once and I could throw pinecones at my friends using telekinesis but this was something entirely different.

What did help wake me up, as you can imagine, was Ashamin rushing towards me for a hug!!!! Oh jolly day what other thanks could I need? I’m grinning so big I feel like my cheeks might just burst and I realize that I am going to love this job - maybe everyone could pay me in hugs?! Ohmygosh but even just the excitement that I saw on the other unicorn’s face was enough. There were most certainly some flaws in the fabric, but I wasn’t about to point them out. Because really, I was proud too.

I made that! ME!

The next part is unfortunate because we have to part ways, but this gift should not wait! I get that, I do, and I’m fighting to keep my eyes open so I probably look a little stoned. Those pale eyelids keep fluttering down, blurring the image of the two stallions near me. “My pleasure, Ashamin! I look forward to seeing you again soon.” I’m so tired that my words are polite, little of the usual silliness coming through. For now, though I was looking forward to a nap. The use of the magic was a lot more training than I would have ever expected, I just needed to keep those peepers open just a little while longer - there was one more goodbye that needed to be made.

My head rolls over so that I can get a good look at my mannequin. Aw, I’m so proud of him for helping. “See you in my dreams, Atlas.” I comment with a lazy smile, attempting to wink but my eyes just didn’t want to open afterwards. Then I just keeled over where I stood - thankfully landing in the snow with a soft thud. From there, I drifted off into the most wonderful sleep - was this what it was like to sleep after doing hard work?!

Image Credit
Table by Sevin!
[Image: Johnny%20by%20Aud_zpsi3ssx2s1.gif]
magic and physical force permitted at all times
vigorous licking strongly encouraged
please tag in all posts