the Rift

A Frozen Baby Bird

Freya Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Freya
We All Want Something Beautiful.

"How could this happen? It isn't like us."

Laying in a drift of snow, a tiny ball of silver tucked into the hollow at a base of a towering pine huffed quietly in sleep. Thin, lanky legs folded clumsily beneath the filly, wings clinging tightly to her sides. Cloaked in silver and grey and black and white, the tiny pegasus slept fitfully, her mind full of dreams and nightmares. Barely weaned, she seemed too small for the towering Threshold around her.

"I want it gone. It doesn't belong here. It isn't like us. And why is it so cold? I will take care of it. Quick and painless."

She was alone and scared. Sleep had finally crept upon her like a hungry wolf. She had wandered for a whole day, calling out for her mother, begging for the game to be over. It wasn't fun anymore. Her fear and frantic wandering had left exhaustion hanging from her like a thick blanket, and she couldn't bare to wander any further. So here she came, curling into the hollow of the tree where snow had collected, forming a bed only comfortable for a body with ice coursing through it's veins.

Her life, though short, was full already of a dramatic story. She was born to a herd that held no crowns upon their heads, nor wings upon their sides. She was the product of an affair, of a wandering heart that fell in love for a night with a handsome dark stranger with wings like those of a raven. A mistake. A regret. A child who did not belong, especially not to a lead stallion who wished to cleanse the herd of her mutations. But a mother's love can overcome the deepest disgust, and though her mother refused to share love with the winged babe, she still would not allow the death of an innocent soul.

"It is a curse! We have never known a hell as this frozen one. It is the gods, forsaking us for allowing it to live. It is a frozen abomination, not fit for us. We must correct the sins and remove this plague. We must kill it.

Frostfall was cruel, stripping the land of all food and shelter. The cold freeze ripped it's way through the land, claiming the lives of several of the herd. For a superstitious king, there was only one explanation. The tiny cursed filly must be culled. Remove one life for the sake of the herd. There was no question.

"I will give you one chance. I want it dead. I do not want there to be a chance of it returning it's bad luck to our doorstep. If you do not end this, I will. And I will give the gods reason to never test us like this again.

Tiny hazel eyes fluttered open, and a yawn squeaked from her tiny throat. Her eyelids fluttered several times, blinking the sleep from her eyes. She cast hazel eyes around her, heaving herself from her shelter. It came back to her slowly. Mother is gone. She said she would come back. Where did she go? I must find her. She could not process that perhaps mother was not coming back, that if someone was looking for her they would have found her. She shook herself off, stretching tiny wings long and open before folding them neatly against her sides. She returned on her way, her normally bounding strides marred by worry. She tripped over herself, not quite coordinated enough to make her way through the winding forest with any sort of grace.

"Mother!" A tiny voice, rough from yelling the day before, called out to an empty forest. Words called out to a mare who wasn't listening, who was pleased that she had done her duty to her herd. "Mother, I don't want to play anymore! I'm scared!" Abandoned, alone, vulnerable. A rejected curse that couldn't defend herself in a world that didn't care.

Speech
OOC// Feel free to tag Ktulu or Murtagh, as well! No sure if you wanted just Lakota, or the whole family.
Tagged// @[Lakota]

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit

Her world had been revolutionized since Murtagh's birth. He was everything in her life and more; love and adoration, dependence and friendship. She loved him with the ferocity of a hurricane, but with the gentle touch of a spring wind. Though he had growing yet to do, he was the perfect mixture of herself and Ktulu. Vibrant with life and youth even in the bleak winter landscape he'd been born into. Though Lakota had worried endlessly about the season when she'd given birth to him, it seemed that he had bounded over every hurdle that should have endangered him with effortless ease. Against the bled-out bleakness of winter, Murtagh painted color and vibrancy back into her life. It stole her breath and heart every single time, to gaze upon him and realize that she had been the one to help craft such magnificence.

He grew with time, slow and beautiful in every mannerism and detail. Perfect. He would never cease being so in her eyes, and at times it was hard not to hover, to press, to become overbearing in her desire to see him safe and happy. Ktulu often helped to reign her in when Lakota reached that state, and again with time it faded bit by bit, but as it was her first ever foal Lakota was desperate to do things the right way. Having Murtagh was the highlight of her life, the one thing she'd managed to do right in a history riddled with wrongs and evils that dare not see the light of day. Her son had changed her, had washed away and eradicated the sins Lakota had once committed. The Poisoner had not always felt like a true part of Helovia, doubting that she belonged without question. When she'd gazed into his eyes, so like her own, any life she'd lived prior to the Threshold - before Ktulu - simply ceased to plague her.

Murtagh was everything bright and beautiful and worthwhile in her life. Lakota had become addicted with just one, and though she'd managed to bite her tongue so far, the Poisoner had no doubt that she'd soon be begging Ktulu for another. And another. Perhaps even seeking out Resplendence for a little nudging - hey, you wouldn't mind having another foal would you? For me? Please? For all her life, Lakota's roles had vacillated drastically. Princess, killer, outcast, royal defender, Grey medic...but what she had been waiting for all along, what Fate had dictated of her path? Lakota was made to be a mother. Oh, of course, a mother who would sooner cut the tongue out of a threat and torture them to death surely. But a mother nonetheless. It had not fundamentally changed her abilities, her ideals nor her habits. Having Murtagh had simply built on top of that - a house of marble and gold on top of a mountain of darkness and poison.

Leaving her son and mate was incredibly hard to do, but Ktulu knew just as well as Lakota did that the sapphire maiden needed to have a job. A purpose. The Threshold was all she truly had, and exercise was vital in restoring her body to its original form - what with the baby fat still clinging a little to her hips and sides. It aided her in winter, but it was better to be fit than unflattering. Aodaun always accompanied her, when he could. The snow was his birthplace, his realm, and Lakota going alone was more dangerous than Murtagh in the Falls with Ktulu, Eytan, Alleo and Archibald all watching out for him. Not that Lakota did not put up token protest, thinking he too should be on the baby brigade for defense of her son. But their bond was strong, everlasting, and so she would tolerate his undeniable logic and allow him to accompany her.

Fate had played her hand once more - full house. Flush with the board, they gleamed in satiny newness, drawing Lakota closer unwittingly into the snow and ice of the Threshold. Aodaun had far better senses than she, he her eyes and ears in the forest where she traipsed about merely awaiting his signal if anything was to be found. Truthfully it could be considered impractical, but it had yet to fail the pair, and so their methods continually were put into work. It was luck that Aodaun was as stubborn as his bonded, that he'd been there in the Threshold the day the mother in her was called upon once more.

Lakota stumbled as the scenery around her abruptly changed - no, not changed. It was merely her seeing through Aodaun's eyes once more, though usually the polar bear had the decency to warn her. Clearly, this was an alarming circumstance. A tinny voice filtered through Aodaun into her ears across the distance, calling for an absent figure. Is she anywhere nearby? Lakota demanded when the word 'mother' was first from the filly's lips. Disgust and disappointment flooded to her before Aodaun even articulated words, and Lakota's heart sank. No. Mother gone. Trail cold, no scent. Gone a long time. Snarling to herself, the maiden gnashed her teeth, tail whipping against her hocks as she whirled and followed the invisible pull of Aodaun's presence to where the steel-stained filly was.

Don't scare, come slow. Lakota could barely make herself obey her bonded's command, heart pounding fiercely in her chest. Gods, what mother could ever abandon her foal? What bitch could ever be so heartless as to leave a youngling alone in one of the harshest winters Helovia had seen? Her blood was boiling hot enough to have melted the snow in the entirety of the Threshold, were it released from her body, but somehow she managed to slow her pace for the sake of the poor thing she was beginning to make out among the snow in the distance.

Aodaun stayed a respectful few paces away, not desiring to spark the older, instinctive predator-fear in the filly. Instead he trailed behind Lakota, allowing the sapphire mistress the spotlight and the task of breaking the ice with the poor orphan. Something she'd have to tell her. Life was so cruel and unfair, and the mere idea of Murtagh experiencing something of this magnitude at his age nearly crippled her heart. It inspired her lips to part, words to flow softly off her tongue for the little filly to hear.

"Hello, child. There is no need to fear," she called on a gentle murmur, careful not to press too close and destroy the child's personal space - no matter how badly she already wanted to embrace and comfort her. "My name is Lakota, this is my very good friend Aodaun. You can call him Ao," she clarified, aware of the complexity of her companion's name. Aodaun huffed, not wanting to growl in the presence of the babe and frighten her, but acknowledging her nonetheless. "What is your name?" That was at least the information Lakota could get before shattering the child's world apart for good. She was young...perhaps the memories would fade with time, as most equines did. Lakota only recalled her own youth because of the horrors that had occupied it. She prayed that the way she approached this would not cause the same for the silvery fae. "Sweetheart...Ao looked all around for your mother, his nose is very good. But...but he could not find her. I'm sorry, bambino, but I do not know where she is." Might as well rip it off right? It hurt her heart to even think the words, much less form and speak them physically.

Lakota dare not say words such as "not coming back", not sure if they would even be true, but the suspicion and evidence was there nonetheless. Already she was thinking, crafting, planning. She was full of milk still, though the babe looked old enough to not need it - but with winter concealing most of the grass, the nutrients might be necessary. Surely Ktulu would understand...and Murtagh would love a sister...Aodaun snorted in her head. Don't get ahead. No rush. She may not want to come. Lakota took in a deep breath, held it. She had to be aware of the fact that this wasn't going to be easy, regardless of the ending. But at least she'd been the one to find the little filly.

Lakota
I was a hot mess in my Sunday best - Black tears in my eyes
Image Credit
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Blu the Bootyful Posts: 443
Administrator atk: 99 | def: 99 | dam: 99
Mare :: Other :: 5'7" :: 25 HP: 99999 | Buff: TWERK
Blu
unarchived per request
 HP: 1100

Helovia Hard Mode

Unregistered
Freya

The filly pressed on. She slowly made her way through the mud and muck, the larger drifts still melting away. She wandered, making her way in wide circles as she ambled through the Threshold. All the smells were new here, and she didn’t have the knowledge to place them. Her mother had never taught her of the world. She had never taught the filly that the world was dangerous and cruel and waiting to steal life away from those who were unable to adapt. Her mother had always hoped that there would one day be an accident. An accident that snuffed the light from the tiny curse and spared her from having to snuff the light herself. But an accident never came. The little pegasus always came home, never faltered to storms or hunting predators. A curse with her very own blessing.

A new smell tucked itself into a small black nose. She wiggled her snout, learning it, trying to place it. She diverted her path, looking for the other living creature that wandered close. Maybe a friend? Maybe it could help find mother. Long black-dipped legs carried her gracelessly over the thawing earth. Soon she came upon the owner of the scent. Seeing the white bear made her jump, and she scrambled backwards to hide behind a large stump. Her heart fluttered like a scared bird trapped in the cage of her ribs. Her instincts prompted her to run in the other direction, but her fear planted her solidly in her spot.

A voice called out. To her? Maybe. It was not mother. It was not a voice she recognized. But it was kind. It was soft and gentle and tender, which was nearly foreign to the young babe. Her heart still fluttered, but she felt her nerves settle, and she was able to move tiny hooves forward. Peeking from around her tree, blue eyes fell upon a dark mare. Beside her stood the polar bear. The lack of fear from the stranger calmed her further, and she crept out from behind the trunk. She shifted her weight back and forth nervously. An old mare gave her warning once, to avoid strangers. The grey filly did not know why, but held on to all of the small pieces of advice given to her. When the mare introduced herself, gave Freya her and her companion’s names, were they still strangers?

She avoided eye contact, small tri-colored wings clapping against her sides nervously. “I am called Freya,” She mumbled. Father always told her to not be seen nor heard. She was not used to being spoken to. “Your friend was scary. I’ve never seen one of those before. But now that I’ve met him, maybe he will be a friend? Maybe less scary.” She trembled, nearly vibrated, with fear and nerves. She was painfully shy, afraid to speak to anyone who wasn’t mother or the old elder who would hold her close and tell her stories when father wasn’t looking.

The equine’s next words were like a punch in the gut. Fear burst through the small girl. “But, but mother said we would play a game!” Tears rushed to her eyes, not understanding that her mother was never coming back. “Mother said I hide, and she will find me! Maybe I broke a rule, she hates when I break rules. Maybe she is punishing me for not following a rule!” Her nose scrunched as she tried desperately not to cry. “Maybe your friend’s nose is broken today. Maybe he is wrong.”

The weight of the world seemed to lean itself onto her. Small thoughts, thoughts swelling with color and emotion and memories and everything she had to her name, swarmed her mind. But how could she possibly comprehend the burden her parents carried her as? She was gone, and they were finally happy. She felt nauseous, her stomach pained with hunger and sadness and fear. She slowly approached Lakota, eyes glancing from the mare to the ground, back and forth. She made sure to stay far from the bear. She stopped a short way before the Poisoner. “Maybe mother is still looking. Maybe you can bring me to her. I want my mother.” Her voice was quivering. She cast her eyes up finally, finding violet. “I don’t want to be alone.” The mare was a stranger. And strangers were bad. Maybe strangers lied.

You’ve done well, my Queen. Do not fear, for no blood is on your hooves or soul. She was not your child, she was a cancer that needed to be purged. You have returned to us victorious. You rid us of our sins. The obscenity is gone, and we are saved.

Speech
OOC// Goodness, it’s about time!
Tagged// @Lakota

Naerys Posts: 86
World's Edge Sleuth atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 4
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.1 :: 3 :: Tallsun HP: 65.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Petyr :: Bornean Green Magpie :: Ashen Rottie
WE HELD TOGETHER THE FRAGILE SKY TO KEEP OUR WAY OF LIFE

Naerys' birth had been a hard one and for several moments it was tragic. Her first breath had faltered, her world remained dark even as she left the cozy warmth of her mother's womb. Her tiny heart fluttering softly and faintly in her dainty chest had been the only sign of life, one that her parent's easily overlooked. Her tiny ears were deaf to their pleading cries, her mind lost in a sea of darkness stretching everywhere the eye could see. Had it been punishment, for being created for all the wrong reasons? Nobody will ever know because her breath finally came, gasping and rasping, expelling the fluid from her lungs. Despite everything, she survived.

And she thrived.

The girl has no memory of the event now, it faded with time as she grew and replaced it with more current memories. Memories of her mother marching off to war with the warriors during the invasion. Memories of huddling in the mists of the Edge with her father until her mother finally came home. Memories of her father walking away, disappearing into the mist. She saw him again after that, of course, but it just wasn't the same. Father had given up, had stopped fighting for mother and though the girl didn't understand why, she couldn't fault him. Not yet. Her young mind can't bring her to hate him, to curse him for leaving her. It can only see the good in him and love him the way young children love their parents.

Time may change that, as time changes all things.

Once more the girl bounds over the broken glass surrounding her home, her feathered wings clamped against her sides to ward off the chill in the air. Without much thought, her long slender legs carry her across the fields to the east of her home and towards the forests. Her dainty hooves leaving a trail of crescent shaped marks hidden beneath vibrant purple and white passionflower blooms. It was her own brand of bread crumbs, a blessing for her mother and, should she ever get lost (quite unlikely), a blessing for her as well. Naerys was born with a wanderers heart and blessed with the memory and spatial awareness to make it safe. So as she wanders now, slender and young, her mind tirelessly maps her route, memorizing details big and small.

It isn't until she's well within the trees, her slender body weaving easily between the trunks and small hooves stepping carefully to avoid drawing too much attention to herself, that the voices reach her ears. Without hesitation, the girl pauses with all four hooves firmly planted on the ground. Brown ears swivel, seeking to locate the direction of the voices while the flowers grew up and around her dainty hooves. Within moments, her head turns towards the voices, her teal eyes peering through the trees only to catch a glimpse of something large, white, and furry. The girl moves forward carefully, easing forward cautiously until finally her teal eyes find the filly - just a bit younger than herself. A frown creases her brow for a moment, watching the younger one's posture and noting the fear present there.

As the younger one approaches the blue mare and the white bear, Naerys wills herself forward; long, slender legs propelling her into the clearing. Cautiously, her teal eyes flicker from filly, to mare, and finally to the bear; it is there that they linger. It is there that they are temporarily glued as she finds her voice. "Hi... um... is everything all right?" The brown and white girl slows to a stop, keeping careful distance. Finally she manages to peel her eyes from the bear, allowing a quick glance around the clearing to pinpoint an easy exit should she need to retreat before looking to the younger girl. "I'm Naerys, I live not far from here by the sea. Are you okay? Do you need help finding your mother?" she asks, her voice warm and sweet. The passionflowers grow and bloom around her hooves - their numbers are far greater as she stands still, increasing the power of their sweet fragrance. Her eyes, vibrant against the brown hue dominating most of her face, are gentle and sparkling with the brightness and warmth of the tropical sea. Quietly, the girl waits. Hope filling her tender heart.

N A E R Y S
Image Credits

[Hope you don't mind me throwing her in here! :D]

@Freya

IN YOUR HEART SHALL BURN AN UNQUENCHABLE FLAME

[Image: 2PHncqI.gif]

permission for all except death and dismemberment.
** please tag naerys in replies **
replies slow? check here for status updates.

Lakota was not tall by any means, nor was she particularly physically imposing in any other way. Her spirit and talent had always been the means for her successes, but even so she approached with shoulders dropped and head lowered to the child's height, slow and cautious. Aodaun whined softly, hardly audible but resonating in Lakota's head through their bond. Reminds me of when we met, he murmured quietly, and Lakota's heart broke just a little bit more remembering that event. Aodaun had been lost, abandoned by his mother in the far reaches of the Steppe. Lakota had meant only to help him through the night of his death, for surely she could not care for him, only to wake to a soft sunrise and a newly bonded soul. It was true, the little fae looked as lost and hopeless as Aodaun had as a cub, back then. How could a mother ever abandon her child? Lakota would sooner slit her own throat than harm Murtagh in any way, and she felt violence swell up in her breast in a dizzying wave. She wanted to hunt down the bitch that had done this and torture her, let her feel the pain that Freya was feeling in her soul, let her feel helpless and lost until Lakota damn well decided to end her suffering. 

Don't. Not now. It will not help the foal. Aodaun cut in sharply lest Lakota lose herself in her rage, focusing her on the child who had just spoken. A name, and so polite for such a wee babe. "It is very nice to meet you, miss Freya," Lakota said softly with a smile, covering the hurt and anger in her heart with genuinely warm eyes. Aodaun lowered himself to the snow, rolling onto his side like a dog and gently waving his paws, trying to appear as harmless as possible once Freya's wavering voice pronounced her fear. Lakota tilted her smiling muzzle towards her companion to showcase the behavior. "He may seem scary, little one, but he is very gentle. I promise you. I raised him since he was younger than you are!" Perhaps that would lighten her mood a little. "And he most certainly wants to be your friend, he told me so." Would the foal even understand the concept of bonds? The land beyond Helovia was so diverse, she'd met so many who didn't have the first clue about magic when they wandered past the borders. Now wasn't that a shock.

Lakota's face fell into pity and heartbreak as the child railed against the truth, and Aodaun went still beside her, practically blending into the snow. "Freya, I promise you did nothing wrong. I'm a mommy too, I have a little foal just your age. And no mommy would ever, ever yell at you like that, that's not a mommy's job." What could she do? How could she make Freya understand that her mother was not returning, when she was but a fully grown stranger in a strange land? "I can certainly go have him look again. Perhaps even you and I can go and look together, but I do not want you to be alone young one. It can be dangerous out here alone, and you must be tended to." Of course, then another youth came wandering in, butting her nose in. Lakota stifled a sigh, for she was a mare, not truly a youngling. Trying to reign in the sudden motherly protectiveness inside of her, she turned to cast her eyes upon the...Naerys. Whatever she was. 

A frown slipped on her lips, and she shook her head minutely. "She's gone," she murmured almost silently, eyes and face grave. The great bear had slowly risen to its paws with the arrival of the newcomer, a silent and imposing guardian, lime eyes focused on the Edge dweller. The scent was familiar, for being Lakota's old home, and a part of her recognized Alysanne's blood in the child. Still, the bear was a protector, and he did not let the mare out of his sights. Aodaun was not wrong, he never was, he had a nose to track a seal down from miles beyond and beneath layers of ice. This was his domain, his realm of rule, and he could run rather fast. He'd searched far beyond, and around, but whatever scent that had existed was old and covered with snow. Abandoned. And Lakota knew it. Her eyes crinkled as if wanting to glare. If this mare gave the child false hope...

Turning back to Freya she smiled gently once more. "Aodaun can go look again, but...I think maybe you should come home with me. At least until we find your mother, yes?" It would never happen, but Lakota did not want to upset her any further than she already had. "My son would be very happy to meet you, and if you are not weaned I am happy to share my milk with you. I am sure, if it's a mistake, your mother would want you cared for and happy until she returned." For a moment she cast her eyes solemnly to young Naerys, glad for the calming effect of her flowers. This was not going to be an easy occasion for the child, and Lakota felt chilled to the bone with regret to have to do this. But she could not leave Freya alone to die, to wander around looking for an absent mother until one thing or another claimed her young spirit. 

Lakota
Image Credit
Plot with me here!

Unregistered
Freya

The filly sniffled. Her shoulders were hunched, and she didn't understand the burning sensation that was spreading through her chest. Later in life, she would probably experience it again, perhaps when a young stallion left with no explanation, or a friend was taken from this world too soon. A broken heart was nothing such a young soul should experience, and was nothing that could be explained to her in words simple enough to understand.

Her nose wrinkled as a small giggle escaped her, eyes twinkling as Ao wiggled in the snow. The aching of her heart began to subside. Her doubts escaped her as her naivety took over. She bounced over, tail wagging quickly behind her. She had never had a playmate before, and if Lakota had raised him, he must have grown to be as kind as her. She scraped the ground with a hoof, ready to leap and tackle the white bear. When Lakota reassured her, and mentioned a foal, she pirouetted, head heigh, ears perked. "Like me?" But confusion contorted her face, lip pouting as she tried to wrap her mind around it. Other foals in her herd had been forbidden from playing with her. She had spent countless afternoons sitting idle as others chased each other and played until the fireflies emerged and the sky went inky black. Lakota seemed so different than her mother. She didn't understand how someone could be so kind. No one had ever disagreed with her mother, and no matter how kind the other mothers were to their children, Freya was always on the receiving end of a criticizing lecture. But even being reprimanded was better than being ignored. "Maybe if we find my mom, you could teach her how to be nicer," she said. "You're very nice." As much as she wanted to find her family, she almost hoped they didn't.

Another voice rang in, surprising the grey babe. She squeaked, a small whinny cut short, and her wings shot open, releasing the smallest flurry of snow around her. She had tried so hard to contain her magic, as she had been punished severely for using it by her father. She scrambled forwards, tripping over gangly legs, diving behind Lakota. She squeezed her eyes shut, shifting back and forth, wings clamped tighter than ever to her sides. Panic consumed her, not knowing what would come next. Slowly she calmed, peeking around Lakota's legs at the new stranger.

"Ao Bear said she's not here. Mother is gone. Maybe he is wrong, but Kota says his nose is good." Her voice was small, barely above a whisper. But she trusted Lakota, and repeated the words she had been told moments before. "Maybe mother will find me. But I do not want to look anymore. I'm tired."

She hid behind the blue mare again, avoiding eye contact. Her words were now directed at the poisoner. "Maybe I can go home with you? I am sorry I used my snow, I promise I won't use it again, honest." Had she angered the gentle mare that had offered her sanctuary? Would she be cast away again? "It was a accident. Please don't be mad."

She crept forward, looking up with chilling blue eyes. When offered the possibility of a meal, something easier than chewing tough roots and dried grasses, she realized how hungry she was. "I am a little hungry."

She was small and fragile, a tiny sparrow in a world of teeth and hunger. Some day, she would understand, but today, she only needed a new beginning, and someone to watch her on her way.

Speech
OOC// Sorry it's not a great post, I'm running out of Threshold muse. Time to get her outta here!
Tagged// @Lakota @Naerys ~

Where Aodaun had always been her better half, he took the stage once more, distracting and enchanting the young girl with his antics and soft eyes. He was a danger, to be sure. A monstrous thing when the hour turned ugly, when the times called for blood, but he'd always been better at softening sooner than Lakota. So long as the little one was giggling and softening to the pair, Lakota didn't care what either of them had to do. She could see Murtagh so clearly in the child's face, could see him wandering lost and afraid in the looming trees of the Threshold, and could not help but feel the desire to throw herself at Freya's bidding. Ready to do anything to protect the fledgling, already feeling a sense of protectiveness wash over her.

Oh fuck, Ktulu was going to kill her.

It was further heartbreaking to see confusion rather than recognition on Freya's features when she mentioned her son. "Yes, bambino. A foal, like you. He's very nice," the Poisoner made sure to point out, not knowing how deep the wounds ran, how thick or how numerous the scars upon the child's heart and mind. Lakota knew the burden of those scars, flinched imperceptibly to remember them. Could she really be seeing herself in this innocent youth? Maybe in some ways. But Lakota had embraced the darkness of her childhood, becoming bitter and hateful. If she could spare Freya that fate, she would. Surely Ktulu would understand that. 

And so when Freya spoke of her mother, Lakota smiled her best smile, trying to ignore the bloodlust and hatred in her small breast. "We are all very nice in the Falls," she corrected, and while it wasn't exactly true, it held true in regards to foals. Even Archibald softened beneath his children. Freya would be safe, not only because of the fierce morality of those in the Falls (rough and ragged bunch they could be) but because she would be under Lakota's protection. And Lakota would fuck up anyone who messed with the nervous little fae. 

And responding on the topic of her mother...well, the pegasus youth approaching would at least help Freya forget that Lakota hadn't spoken on that particular possibility. 

A flurry of snow - magic? Aodaun said in her head - and then Freya was rushing to hide behind Lakota's legs. Her heart shuddered and melted, and she turned her head to smile encouragingly at the child. The Edge folk were pretty harmless, and a youngling like the one before them even more so. If not...well, Lakota could feel the stirrings of her own magic inside her. Insidious, familiar. Yeah, they'd be fine one way or another. 

Regardless, Freya had made her choice. Even if her halting, fearful words made Lakota frown softly - careful, ever so careful, to not make it look angry. "Your snow is a precious gift, Freya. I have magic, and so does Murtagh and Aodaun. You never need to apologize," was insisted, and Lakota turned slowly so as not to spook the little one that hid behind her legs. "Perhaps when we get to the Falls, we can practice with it? Aodaun loves snow." The bear gave a soft sound of agreement, sprawled on his belly for Freya's sake but still alert, lime eyes on Naerys. Warm violet eyes turned to Freya's face, trying to get her to look Lakota in the eyes. "I would love to take you home with me."

With a brief nod towards Naerys, she gently nudged at Freya. "Let us go then, yes?" She could feed the filly when they were in privacy, if only because she didn't want to explain biology to some fledgling Edge girl. 

---

Thought I'd wrap it up, since I'm not sure if Rottie will be posting! We can switch Freya to Falls now and start a new thread?

Lakota
Image Credit

@Freya
Plot with me here!