the Rift

[PRIVATE] If I Could

Knox Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 7 Years [Tallsun] HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen

So this is his fate, now.

Knox has been running, the tears dripping from his face, to a place he might know. Here, as the night grows dark and the fires ahead serve as his beacon, he hopes he might find a release. He turns his face away from that bright flame. He is looking for someone he will not find.

Manhattan?

He is praying.

Manhattan, is that you?

He is at fault, and still he is seeking his friend--his sister.

I am not here. She is cold like the dead. Her heart is locked, her body and mind empty. Leave me 'lone, give me pity. Did you think you get away with murder, live life like dead-walker and still find love?

He doesn't know what to say. She continues, speech steady, sharp, barbed with a poisonous truth. The beacons of flame draw nearer.

Please, leave me be. Kill this bond and become someone else. Kill something for the right reason, do the right thing for once.

I was trying, he begs, he pleads. But it is no use; by the time he reaches Helovia's heart he had taken on an entirely different shape. Knox becomes Anaan, a white and blue glory rendered in burn-scars, and stands in eager wait for the one mare he knows in this world who still breathes beside him.

The breath of the grandfather, the protector, is heavy and labored from the run. He has come far from the scene of his descendant's crime, and now he stands tall and looking out. Will she come? He asks the black retriever as she catches up to him, slowing to a stop and pressing her face in his hocks. She seems upset and he doesn't fully know why; this is not his bond, not his set of emotions to peer into. He feels her tongue against the tissue lining a scar. Anaan is comforted, Anaan is quieted, Anaan is patient. The long, clean silk of his mane catches in the wind and he stares, wide-eyed, at the fires in the distance. He will be glad to escape the threat of their glow. Those orange shadows are not reminders he needs, not now.

He has been thinking, quiet and to himself, for so long now about this meeting. He has watched through younger and older eyes, both, as the wind has chilled and the sky had filled with the white of frostfall's flurries and storms. Anaan has slowly been urging the body back here, slowly hoping he might be granted the gift of returning. He only hopes he is not too late, and that the strange mare, the badger face, the beauty, and her white companion will not have abandoned this site for good.

Whether they have, or whether they have not, he will wait. For as long as he can, for as long as this body and the mind now imprisoned within it allow him, he will wait for her.

[[Essetia]]
""

A n a a n
Image Credits!

Essetia Posts: 218
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3HH :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Romul :: Arctic Wolf :: Confusion Linds

My hooves clattered against the familiar rocky pathway that would soon lead down into the high vaulted caverns of the Heart Caves. The cold of winter was left behind me along with the time that was intended to forge a new road ahead and had since failed. Instead of seeking the future, I’d been caught desperately in the past hoping to again find my eyes paralleled by those painted with the oceans blue. The warrior had lingered where others had rarely before been capable of reaching and from time to time I found myself trying to outrun his image in my head. However, like my father, he remained an integral piece of my understanding or more so just the missing link of a mystery I couldn’t let go. Romul had grown tired of my speculations and his irritation was apparent as we returned to the ever-infamous Heart. The cooler months had decorated its warming visage in white and painted the sharp, uniform crags of the cave’s face in lines of frozen, silver ice. Yet, none of that had want for my eyes; only the heated tunnels below could sway my favor until at last I revealed whether or not the warrior had spoken true.

My coat had grown thick since I’d first met the battle-beaten garron and his intelligent retriever beneath the crust of an earth so wild and burdensome, and now I feared that he would not find in me the same beauty as before. But of course that had been a crude assumption on my part… I’d been hoping that the image reflected in his eyes was a true likeness of myself and at first I’d been certain of the fact, but again time had changed everything. It always did.

Romul had moved ahead long before we’d reached the cave’s entrance and though I felt my heart flitting in my chest over an idea that held no permanence, his rumbling in my thoughts made it skip an excited beat. Essetia, he’d murmured not unlike so many times before, he’s here. I paused for a long while before resuming my ascent into the Heart, my breath hitched high in my throat so tight that I feared I would collapse before I’d even had the chance to ask the warrior’s name. My nerves had gotten the best of me many times before, but it was nothing like what I experienced when I thought of the scar-riddled man from the caves. The nights had made me into a giddy young girl, lost to her own fantasies and wonder, and the days were less than forgiving. I had joined the ranks of the Dragon’s Throat and I’d stormed their battlements from the very start. I’d stolen their Sleuth’s position and now I’d returned the victor by anyone’s standards. However, that drive had been born of impatience; the autumn leaves had changed so slowly and the cool blast of winter hadn’t come fast enough. Yet somehow the day had come and his promise had remained unbroken.

When at last the pale figure of Romul’s shoulders and stout head cut through my narrow view, I smiled tensely to myself. I was slow to trail his gaze toward the pair I’d only dreamt of since our first meeting, but when I’d uncovered the courage to do so, I couldn’t help the barefaced grin that stemmed at the sight of them. Again the retriever stood at her companion’s side and again Romul was hesitant to approach; everything was so different and yet so very much the same. “It’s you,” I nearly whispered upon approach. I was so amazed by how sharp the warrior appeared to be now; no longer was he a mere hazy image of the past. He was here, he was real, and he hadn’t lied. He hadn’t lied.

He hadn’t lied.
Credits

@[Knox]

◄ Please tag Essetia in all replies!
◄ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
◄ Pixel @ SongsOfInfinity

Jen
It is Romul that the stallion sees first, reflected in his own deep blue eyes. The protector cannot contain the excitement of the sight--his lungs rattle with a heavy exhale, his forehoof curls and strikes. He bows, he quivers, he straightens and pulls himself forward.

Manhattan stays behind, seated at the entrance to the caves. This is not something she can follow him into. Just as her mind and her weary heart are her own troubles to bear, his aching for the companionship he finds beside this mare is not hers to intrude upon. She locks eyes with the white wolf, her blue eyes snapping to attention and striking the metallic sincerity she finds in them. This time, she has nothing to say. She has shared too much with him already--more than she was taught to ever share.

Meanwhile, Anaan's bold figure, sturdy but no taller than the mare before him, has traveled further from one flame and closer to another. His eyes are bright, his lips lifted into something indicating a boundless joy. Though his fear of her abandoning him was not quite so pained a one, it had still been real. But now she too is present, and with her appearance his heart settles with ease.

Somewhere in his chest, the hunter rolls over and snorts in a puddle of his own tears. The marks still stain Anaan's cheeks, but the subtlety of flame is drying them with torturous efficiency. Here by the fire he will never be comfortable, not completely and not even in this stranger's company. He wants to suggest they travel into the cave but there is too much to say already, too much to say before and aside from this request.

"It's you," she says, as if it could be anyone else, as if there are any other hearts beating beside the protector's. He doesn't know how right she is.

He smiles--reaches out his neck to touch hers. Anaan considers that perhaps she has decided to address him this way because she doesn't know his name. His ears fall, a habit that seems to have passed down to every generation, as he thinks of her name. He doesn't know it but he doesn't really feel he needs to, either. He imagines it is something that sounds more innocent than it should, as if she were named as a child by someone who would never see her as anything more than that: a child. That name, it is in the way she carries herself. In the way he can see her think of her sorrows, even when her face is a reflection obscured by ripples, or a set of embers trapping the light of distant flames.

Anaan wants to tell her he does not think she is a child. He wants to offer his name to her in confidence and trust, want to acknowledge something, but Knox is aware enough to kick at the notion. No names, his mind hisses, the words like the sound of his tears hitting the hot stone by the heart. No names, Anaan, no names! Faster, more furious now, the warning comes. No names, no names, no names no names no names no names!

This is a different story and quarrel with the self. Anaan will not abide its attempt to ruin his night. His tail flickers, his heart beats steady as if it were his own, his mind clears, and the insistent call fades into quiet, wordless sobbing.

"It's you," she had said.

"Of course," he replies, as if there is never anything else he could say. Of course I am here, for you.

[[@[Essetia]]]
""

A n a a n
Image Credits!

Everything had slowed and become too surreal. I watched absently his movements, his eyes, the way they trailed the length of my face, and even the soft heaving of his chest as he sighed, relieved. I couldn’t help but smile at his warmth and his excitement, but when had we come to share that feeling of calm between us? When had it become more than an idea, a fiber of truth that strung between us like a promise? I wasn’t sure what we had ever built together, for there were no fortresses tall enough to ward off my doubts, but there was something battling my insecurities… and it wasn’t me.

I could feel Romul’s own hesitancy intermingling with the harsh effects of my eagerness, but I couldn’t yet place a finger on why the young wolf appeared so guarded. His golden eyes were fixed pointedly on the stallion’s retriever and yet there was no malice in the way he received her. However, it was more of an afterthought on my part anyhow… I didn’t care to know the trivial conflicts between wolf and dog, so long as it didn’t come to a battle of tooth and claw. Everything else was menial in my eyes, a sullen image crafted of black and white, while he remained vivid, colorful.

In an unwanted moment of distrust, I was suddenly worried. I feared that I’d stumbled upon a mere mirage of wanting something so badly that it materialized at will. Yet, the notion felt contorted and lost, or just a figment of insanity for the sake of protecting my feeble heart. He was there, just there, and he was as real as the blood that pumped through my veins.

I thought again about Ulrik and I realized just how many wishes I’d spent on him, hoping and dreaming that he’d become more to me than the Engineer capable of stealing me from my warm bed chambers in the Falls. I thought I’d seen a flicker of light in him, a pleading of some sort that was likely misconstrued on my part, but a light nonetheless. Maybe that was a lifetime ago… or just a minute of time so long stretched that I’d forgotten the fine details. Uncertainty was all that remained in his wake, while assurance and a secret promise never to leave, never to lie, was all I saw before me now. Of course, I’d learned that I had my own funny way of going about life and I often saw only half of the circle; not once had I ever seen it completed.

When at last the warrior offered me his heated touch, I leaned into it lightly, worriedly. It was a feeling that I knew would linger upon my skin until I closed my eyes for sleep. It was also a moment of loss that I was certain I would remember when we again parted ways. For that was how all ties ended… nothing was definite in life, nothing was forever.

Of course,” he’d said curtly, with no reason to oblige me or my wants. He didn’t offer anything more than his touch and his eyes -a troubled blue- to comfort me by. He didn’t find a reason to explain who he was or why’d he come back… Perhaps it was Ulrik who’d been most honest and true. He had revealed more of me –my loves, my losses, and even my agonies- in my capture than the warrior had done in my release. What was it that kept his lips so sealed by secrets? Was it something I’d said or done since last we met? Strangely, I’d come to think that with him I was more than just a child, a girl abandoned by her lord father. Perhaps it was only the Engineer who’d seen me for my truths… not matter how hard-put they were. Maybe I was just a girl trying to fill the shoes of her childish beliefs.

Awkwardly, and without words to fill the silent tension, I turned away from him, eager to lead him again into the darkness of the caves where even lies appeared beautiful in their own right.
Credits

@[Knox]

Jen
For a time Anaan is lost in the way that she leans. Perhaps because he knows this is a sensation he should not be allowed to have: this is a sensation belonging strictly to the living. And in Knox's body, shifted as it may be, he is not sure if he is truly alive.

And when she leads, the protector does not hesitate to follow. He keeps close to her, sensing her hesitation when she pulls away and not wanting to prolong the moment of separation. His hooves fall, heavy and solemn--head is bent low in a gesture of respect. She is strong. He watches the sinews of her muscles with dark eyes, noting the rippling beneath her smooth dark coat--so different from his scarred, greying one.

What is she thinking? he asks, as if somehow some ancestor could know. But of all of them he is the only one who has ever cared for a mare with any truth, even if she did not love him with the same. He will not let his heart break from her, now. He has let it break too many times. Now, when it hardly even beats, he will not waste such moments on her memory.

But she gave him two sons, and one who beget another. In a roundabout way, she brought him here.
Nothing important, Knox lashes out. He is stinging from wounds, from the hurt of being forced to feel for his ancestor's sake. Nothing she says will matter to you.

Anaan does not wish to engage. He shakes his head softly, letting it hand before his legs, bumping his knees as he meanders beside the mare. Let Knox be in the wrong again. His grandson will learn, in time, that the heart must be left to its own devices.

At last, he speaks. Perhaps it will quiet the cold one who guides and grips this breast on warmer days. "I missed you," he said quietly, as if they had known each other for long enough for him to miss her. Manhattan trails behind them both, hanging back in their shadow, claws clicking and echoing in the cave hall. "I have found myself thinking back to our time in the falls with fondness. I haven't found such good company as the pair of you in all my time in Helovia," Anaan echoed. He searched for a hint of the colt with the dappled neck, older than him now, but no wiser.

Have you ever found good company, Knox? The protector asks, stepping unwittingly into flames.
Certainly never in you, he replies, his voice dripping with the lie, his heart aching for memories of Aylin, gone now from his life--banished by his own failures.

The truth, the grandfather pleads, as if he will learn something from a younger one's mistake. He watches Essetia as he speaks but his absence is visible--the drifting of his focus clear and uncontrollable.

I have lost it, Anaan, the hunter says as he looks back to his companion, eyes nearly shut, trapped in a state of exhaustion. And I fear it will never return.

[[WOW this sucks I'm so sorry I just lost all my muse and tried to rewrite this so many times. But I know it will return next time <3]]
""

A n a a n
Image Credits!

She refused, with some difficulty, to face him again. She refused to find the caring in his stare and she refused more than anything to admit that she’d been waiting on such a moment to present itself again. Together they were ghosts nameless and free, but ghosts nonetheless. Essetia had spent too long a ghost in her father’s eyes or perhaps he was just a ghost to her… Either way, she’d struggled to find any good reason to remain so thoughtless -so meaningless- when she knew all that she was capable of doing. Her heart was vast and it forgave, it loved, and it beat with the intensity of her every emotion. She wanted to share it… she wanted to show someone all that it possessed.

But how could she share a heart?

Just ahead, the tunnel opened up into a room bathed in crimson light and natural heat. Lava pooled slowly from a wide break in the ceiling and fell endlessly into the deep chasm of the Heart. Essetia had seen the wall once before, but it had been utterly different. Her skin had not felt warm, but so very cold, and her mind did not thrum so anxiously as it did now. Every nerve ending along her spine, down her legs, and even in the dips of her neck and shoulders felt alive with expectation. In truth, the bay had been waiting for some time to feel such a rush again… She’d been missing it, cherishing its memory.

Yet, disappointment had long since settled her mind and reclaimed her sanity. She’d wanted something more… wondrous? The Sleuth had managed to accomplish so much in her time away from the warrior, so driven as she was to appear changed when next they met, but she had been the only one who’d been changed by their encounter it seemed. Even then, as they meandered into the heart’s womb, the warrior showed no signs of change.

When their wandering had come to a pause, and with the soft red light casting misshapen shadows across his greyed hide, the sleuth turned slightly to study the ocean-like depths of the warrior’s eyes. Her chest felt tight as she watched him, her lips parted and ready, but she could find no evidence of time there. The young bay had aged, she knew. She had grown and experienced so much in the months they’d spent apart… She had lived. Somehow, the notion saddened her as she stared at the warrior unabashed. In truth, he appeared more jovial than she, but less hindered, as if a secret existed upon the curve of his lips.

It was a secret, Essetia knew, that he would never reveal.

From the corner of her eye, the sleuth caught sight of her wolf and smiled absently at his curiosity for the molten wall of lava. The translucent blockade that protected them all from its fiery escape glittered softly in various shades of red, black, and orange. It was comforting to know that it would forever be trapped behind that wall of crystallized stone and yet troublesome. It would never be set free to wander, but instead be forced to travel the same route over and over until, finally, it ceased to exist.

“I missed you.”

They were words she’d never heard before. They were words that were felt deep in her soul until they fissured, erupted, and finally ruined her. Suddenly, her tongue felt numb and whatever she’d wanted to say dissipated into nothing. Her thoughts, a tangled mess of sentiment and wonder, became quiet. Even Romul’s presence did little to bring her back the ground where she’d started to drift away. What did it mean? How could he know? “You did?” was all that she could manage with any confidence. But then it made her question her own desires; it made her question whether or not she’d missed him too. Was that why she’d felt so distraught all this time?

He continued without wavering and without a hint of shame for such feelings, and it made the tall bay feel uneasy. A hot blush rose to her cheeks and a soft smile followed shortly after, but her troubles had only begun, for visions of bronze danced recklessly in her wake. “Then why…” her voice broke quietly as she hedged the very question she’d been speculating for some time, “did it take you so long to return?
Credits

@[Knox]

Jen

What is this place?

That is all he can think as he wanders at her side, all that he hopes his descendant will answer. But there is nothing but quiet. This time, from the other. How strange the protector finds it that his host can be so ungracious and demanding, all at once, with quiet. Was this here when you were born? he queries again, pushing the subject further, forcing Knox to give the answer willingly, even if he could find it himself in this share, multitudinous mind in which he resides.

For a time, there is nothing again. But when Knox breaks through and hums soft enough for Manhattan to hear and she brightens for a half, tired, moment, he feels a lightness that bids him to answer. As new to me as you, Anaan, the hunter things with a mental sigh. Manhattan catches up to the forelegs of this body, the ones that lead further into cracked walls and slow-moving fire. She feels a calm. She feels, for a moment, the bonded joy of the forgetful.

When the cavern reveals itself, Anaan stiffens visibly. He ceases all movement, standing stock still with ears laid back and heart thumping rapidly. It's ok, the black dog assures him, nudging his hock with her steadily drying nose, urging him forth. We're all here, with you. And the protector knows, as she spurs him to walk once more and keep pace with the badger faced mare beside him, that she is right. They are all there, with him.

It is at this moment of realization, this understanding of his company for all that it is, that the mare turns to question him. She is blushing, she seems happy to be at his side, he thinks, but she is doubtful, too. Is she doubtful of his reality, or simply of his lateness?

As if she was here waiting...
It's none of her business.
The mim just missed yuh, she is unsurr.
This is boring.
Why are we here?
I want more than this, doesn't she?
Too many questions.

So many minds converge and insist, all putting forth their own opinion, but he shakes his head and casts them aside. There is only one voice that still speaks, one warning, perhaps one that will not be heeded: no names.

Anaan hesitates. He catches her white eyes and his jaw drifts open, his ears that had flicked forward begin to droop. How is he to answer this with truth and yet, none at all? "I have a family," he says, slowly, knowing this is in some ways a lie. "I have sons, I have grandsons. No partner but Manhattan, but all of these to my name, and I..." once again his voice shudders before he can speak again. Is this lying? His mind feels pinched. His heart feels unsteady. "...I have given up a lot of things. I have given up much to care for them."

At this he picks up his pace for a moment, trying to head her off, trying to stop her with the gentle magnitude of his being. Will she listen? And will she believe him, as he speaks with such earnestness, wishing he could say so much more?

"I could not give up this--your company, your kindness, the curve of the white lines you bear as your name to me. But I had to delay it, for my family's sake. And I hope you can forgive me, yet at once I am unable and unwilling to apologize. "

Let her now know this:
Perhaps he will never give her his name. But he has given her now his family, even if only in passing. He has given her his honesty, his full truth and his love for all the bodies and minds that inhabit this being he shares. The ones he has known and the ones he has not, the ones he has feared and the ones he has loved. In this way, he has started to force a door that is locked by a century of rust. In this way, he is giving her all that he can.

[[@[Essetia]]]
""

A n a a n
Image Credits!