the Rift

[PRIVATE] The Funeral

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen

The world of the dream felt cool and wet.

Ashamin kicked in his sleep--splashes leapt and surrounded him. This was sleep, wasn't it? The Haruspex wasn't sure. He didn't know. He tried to open his eyes but it was as if they were being tugged downwards. He could see nothing but the dark of that feeling, the unknowingness of it all. He nosed blindly for Lochan but could not find him. Was his companion there, beside him? He thought he remembered falling asleep with Lochan's forelegs draped over his back and the sky growing light. Wasn't Lochan there? Wasn't he back in the Basin, standing on solid ground?

His eyes were still shut but his heart was beating loud. He knew he was awake, or waking up at least. Where was the water coming from? He could feel it, up to his knees, then higher, rising like a wave. It covered his chest, began to drift slowly across his back. But he couldn't see it, he couldn’t see anything.

For what felt like the longest time, perhaps an eternity, he lived a life like that. Everything in black, surrounded by water--not awake, not asleep, not knowing.

--

Ashamin's eyes blinked open and he found the day like a pleasant surprise. His hindquarter ached in a numbed pain, and the water of the secret grove blanketed his hocks like a shroud as he stood. He couldn't remember how long it had been since he'd seen the morning like this, with his lid lifting instead of drooping. And he couldn't remember, either, how he'd gotten here.

His large ears caught a dripping sound, and when he turned to investigate he found it was coming from himself. His scars were fading, blood was taking their place. The pain grew--he struggled to stay standing. The red overtook, bleeding and soaking the white of his hind, and suddenly he fell into the water.

He was in the Secret Grove again, fearing death as he had been just at the turn of the season.

Ashamin searched for Lochan or Zahra, some sign, but there was no one. Even his token of spark, the coils that often warmed his tail, were gone. His head swam with the possibility that none of it had happened--that he had dreamed life beyond it. Had it merely been hallucinations, brought on by pain and passing out? Had Lochan ever hatched? Had he ever met Tiamat, Atlas... been made the Haruspex?

No, it must have just been a dream. He was still here. He was still dying. And Lochan and Zahra, the friends he had made, were nowhere to be seen.

He was alone, again.

"" ""
[[For Tiamat--this is most definitely a dream thread. x3]]
ASHAMIN

I dreamed up a whole word
where you were real
and I, alive.

To think,
I did it all
for my own good.

We'll laugh about this,
someday--once we've
finished crying.

We'll laugh about this--
will we?
Am I dying?
Am I dying?

image credits

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Tiamat the Ocean's Light Posts: 360
Aurora Basin Lady atk: 8 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 :: 6 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Nimue :: Common Orca Leviathan :: Boil Reli

tiamat</style>
we run like a river runs to the sea</style>

The ocean mare doesn’t remember falling asleep.

In fact, she doesn’t remember much before this very moment. The darkness from behind her eyelids envelopes her, shifting and turning somewhere between wakefulness and dreams—black and cold. “Mama!” Tiamat gasps, her eyes suddenly snapping open. Her pupils constrict from the stark whiteness that assaults her, eyes narrowing as they squint against the harsh, blinding light. When they adjust she finds what she is looking for—the soft blue of her mother sky, accompanied by the white puffs of her sister clouds. Her mother is with her again as she had remembered, safe and sound.

Sighing contentedly with that security, Tiamat moves forward through the forest that she has found herself in. A shiver runs the length of her spine, reminding her of the wintry season, the snowy blanket seeming to silence this world into a quiet sleep. But she does not feel as though it is calm—no, this sleep is restless, hushed, and waiting. She flicks her tail uncertainly, hoping that her discomfort will be shed and left behind her. She wishes to find happier, more delightful things.

Her white eyes peering through the snow-laden trees, Tiamat glimpses something—someone—a figure standing in the shallows of a lake. Her gaze narrows as she inspects him, his lanky build and incredibly long tail, but recognition comes slowly. Like the lazy pull of molasses, sluggish, thick, and hazy, memories begin to piece themselves together in the blurred hues of her mind. A face, a friend, a name. “Ashamin!” She calls out to him happily, the corners of her mouth curling upwards with the comforting knowledge that she won’t be alone in this strange and twisted place.

But the long-tailed stallion does not answer her—his body wavers, shuddering and quivering before faltering, his legs betraying him as they give out. “ASHAMIN—NO!” Tiamat screams as she watches him collapse into the water, her features, usually so cheerful and bright, twisting in fear and horror before she is able to make herself move. It is as though the molasses has spread from her mind, seeping into the flesh of her muscles and the marrow of her bones, deadening her movement until all she can do is crawl. The blue mare screams inside, willing herself to travel faster, her white gaze fixing on Ashamin like a lifeline, pulling her forward through the obscurity that has become her mind and body.

Time passes—seconds? Minutes? Hours? Days?—before the blue mare finds herself at the water’s edge, and it is only then, in the proximity of her dear friend, that her muscles are released from her body’s haze. Like a rubber band she snaps forward, stumbling into the frigid waters of her brother. A gasp hitches in her throat when the icy chill meets her skin, but she doesn’t waste a moment—with her eyes still fixed on Ashamin, she staggers to his head, her muzzle lowering to his cheek. “I’m here, my friend. You will be all right,” she croons through panting breaths, the weariness of her body creeping slowly into her bones.

“What happened? What—” she begins to question him, but as her eyes wander over his figure, she finds his injuries. A cold unrelated to winter’s grasp spreads over her, prickling her skin and quickening her heart with its horror. The two long gashes on his flank are no longer their shining, impressive gold—the liquid crimson of blood has crept in, taking over and revealing the wounds in their raw, mangled flesh. It is as if they are fresh, newly lacerated and grossly torn. “Oh no,” Tiamat gasps, choking on any other words that might’ve escaped her tongue—her throat tight and her chest knotting.

This…this can’t be happening!

It can’t.

notes; -prepares self for all the feels-
tag; @[Ashamin]
“Speech.”

credit
please tag Tia in all replies!
magic & force are permitted.

Her voice was familiar but impossible as it stumbled across the water and the waves she ushered towards him. Then again, feeling as if she were real, wasn't her voice always like that? So soft and kind, with the sense you'd known it all your life: that you'd found it in the sea and sky every time you'd lifted your head to watch the sunset over the water.

Ashamin wasn't sure, anymore. When she appeared he wanted to laugh, and in a way he sort of did--if laughter was short coughing bursts and plunging his face into quickly bloodying water just to try and stop the pressure of its pain. It was an attempt. A failed one, at best.

Given that just moments ago he had convinced himself that Tiamat was merely a figment of the deluded mind, seeing her was surprising, to say the least. His lips tumbled open, unsure; his long tail slapped the water, splashing himself with blood, and his large ears were pinned back to his head. It wasn't fear, exactly, but uncertainty was just as dangerous as that.

The paint felt his hooves sinking into the sandy muck beneath him. His whole body would slowly become covered in it, he thought. If he died here or if he somehow stood and walked away alive with aid, he would forever be stained in this black soil of frostfall waters.

"Tiamat..." It was all he could say. Her name. He knew it, and he knew her and the delicate arabian curve of her blue skin, and he didn't know how. Her being here and him seeing her was impossible. It meant some of that dream had been real, maybe. Well, that or he could tell the future. Perhaps he really was meant to be Haruspex, someday. He wanted to laugh again but a shooting pain made its way through his leg and up his body, insistent that he not forget his condition. Remember, the wound seemed to say, I've got a hold on your heart and a slippery grip on your life.

Ashamin found his teeth grinding and his face plunging back towards the cold. His uninjured leg kicked, but that motion alone was too much. His black eyes looked for Tiamat's white ones: he was pleading, hoping there was something in her that would help him. He felt her cheek touch his when he lifted his ebony features and he felt, for a moment, the comfort of bliss. He let his eyes close, he let warmth seep into his being. Was this how his father had felt, so long ago now, upon dying? And his mother, too, had she felt this same wash of comfort at the end in spite of her birthing pains? Tiamat was saying so many things, asking so many things, and he didn't know how to answer other than this with a groan, shift, and heave of his body and heart: "Don't ask me that, don't make me say it out loud."

It was a faint whisper of truth. Even now, he was ashamed. And yet, too, now he felt it all to be inconsequential. How strange, the effects of pain on the mind. "Will you help me, Tiamat?" he asked, his heart feeling heavy and slow in his breast, his breath catching. He was so cold, the water such an icy tomb, and yet he couldn't feel a drop of its frigidity. He didn't know what help meant. Maybe it was just staying there, with him, as his blood flowed red into the waters of the grove. Maybe it was letting him know it was ok to die.

How long had he been here? His eyes opened in bare slits and he caught sight of his fur and hair, matted, tangled, and mixed up with muck and blood. Were it not for the water, he was certain he would be dry and flaking red. It had been so long... it must have been so long. But how was he still bleeding, then? How was he still alive?

Ashamin's voice came out in a whisper, cracked and barely audible but undeniably spoken. He parroted, in an attempt to comfort her as if she were the wounded. His eyes fluttered, the patterns in Tiamat's horn became a shifting maze he could get lost in. "I’m here, my friend. You will be all right," was the murmured reply and repeat of the blue mare's gentle speech. It echoed on, his voice growing softer with each cycle of the words. "You will be all right," he said again, soft and aching as his heart wondered who this creature was and how her breath, so beautiful and lovely in its delicate exhalations, had come to cross with his. "Darling," he sighed, quiet, content, drawing closer to death, and not knowing even what the word meant, "you will be all right,".

"" ""
[[@[Tiamat] -feels all the feels-]]
ASHAMIN

Darling,
You will be all right.
We will be all right.

image credits

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.

tiamat</style>

At first, Tiamat doesn’t want to look—she doesn’t want to see the blood or the carnage, she doesn’t want to see the pain and the suffering of someone she holds so dear, she just doesn’t want to see it. Her mind screams at her to look away, to turn her head, to run. Anything to hide this bloodshed, this butchery from her innocent, childlike eyes. Her mind clings to its purity, so bright and uncorrupted by the true damnations that poison this immoral world, denying with a fervor the reality of what her eyes are telling her. In her mind her thoughts demand for her to move, but the blue mare finds herself numbed, detached from her muscles—still, her mind screams.

Maybe if she turns her head, maybe if she runs, it will all go away.

Like it never happened.

But from somewhere beneath all the numbness and the dazed stupor that has melted into her heavy bones, Tiamat feels something—something stirring. Her heart does not allow her to accept what her mind is so desperately crying. Is this not what she believes herself destined for? To help? To aid? To mend others? Has she not been preparing herself for a moment like this? Now, shoved into this scene of anguish, blood, and trauma, she cannot possibly allow herself to recoil away from the very obligations that are entwined into every beating fiber of her young, benevolent heart.

“Will you help me, Tiamat?”

The stallion’s words, despite their frailness, manage to weave their way through the cold air and pierce the murkiness of her struggle. As the haze cracks and parts, she feels released, encouraged, his plea beckoning movement into her muscles where only stillness had been, pulling her forward with a gentle but unyielding hand. Tiamat allows herself to be carried before she can stand on her own resolve again, her eyes closing before she looks to Ashamin’s face. “Yes,” she gasps, her voice hoarse and thrust in a croaking whisper from her chest. “Yes!” She repeats after swallowing against the raw thickness in her throat, more confident this time, the beat of her heart rising to thud in her ears, beckoning her onward into this terrifying unknown that she has prepared to discover.

“I’m going to help you, Ashamin! I’m going to help you, everything is going to be alright…everything is going to be alright,” the mare’s slender chest heaves, not entirely sure which one of them she is trying to comfort more, swallowing in a gulping gasp as she drives herself to move. Move. Cloven hooves squelch in the wet mud as they lift from the lake’s floor, her legs as heavy as lead, willing herself to maneuver through the icy waters and around her fallen friend.

Tiamat hesitates when her gaze lowers, witnessing the blue hue of her brother stained to a red that swirls and marks her legs with a grisly omen. The fear and the doubt begin to rise again, clenching her chest with its tight claws until she barely feels the strength to breathe. The terror in the back of her mind begins to scream once more, demanding that she turn away, save herself from this horror, but still her eyes follow the bleeding trail—eventually wandering to the gruesome gouges and mangled flesh that oozes its bloody, doomed liquid. Is there any hope? The ocean mare clings to the last thread, clutching to it like a salvation as she had of Ashamin’s face, she can’t let go.

She can’t give up on him.

Almost as if he senses her terror, the wounded stallion begins to speak, his raspy words drifting and sweeping, reaching with his last strength to lift her up. Tiamat’s knees shudder and threaten to give way beneath her, and tears sting her eyes—not because of the fear, and not because of the horror, but because of his kindness, his comfort, even in the face of death. She admires his strength, and despises herself for her selfishness—because she needs this, his encouragement, his stalwartness, to carry her forward, and she clutches at his strength when she should give it back.

She needs him.

Wrenching herself upright with a hoarse groan, Tiamat finds some flickering power of will, and refuses to let go. “I’ll be right back, Ashamin, stay with me—don’t you dare leave,” she sighs to him with a breathless fervor before lurching forward, fighting through the muck and blood to return to the banks of the lake and release herself from the icy waters. Wildly she looks for any familiar plants or herbs, trying to wrestle memories from the haze of her mind and remember what she’d been taught. The world spins and she stumbles, gravity both aiding and combating her as the ground sways back and forth beneath her hooves. She doesn’t know how long she searches, but it feels like a breath before she is plunging again into her brother’s freezing arms, several leaves clasped between her lips.

Dropping them onto the lake’s surface, she offers one to Ashamin. “Eat this, my friend,” she says with a voice that is intended to be comforting, but wavers in time with her racing heart. The herb is meant to help numb his pain—if she has remembered correctly—and she brushes her muzzle against his cheek (her breath warm, labored, frightened) before returning to his ghastly wounds. Snatching some more of the leaves, she pauses, exhaling and blinking against the threat of tears.

These leaves will burn, they will sting, but they will—hopefully—clean and inspire his flesh to heal. A necessary process in spite of its agony. I’m sorry, she thinks despairingly, blinking away the first tear that streaks down her cheek, wishing there was another way, before she places the leaves on the trembling sinews of his exposed muscle.

notes; I won't cry I wont cry D':
tag; @[Ashamin]
“Speech.”

credit

Ashamin felt her leave just as he registered her lingering beside him. He wanted to reach out but was too feeble, too wounded, too hurt. He let his head fall, floating on the surface of the water where he held it in suspension.

"I had a dream you were real..." Ashamin murmured quietly towards the mare, unsure if she would here. He didn't know much of anything now, not much of anything but how the pain was dulling and spread. The haruspex felt himself growing colder even as his forehead seemed to burn. Was this a fever dream again, then? He was awake, but Tiamat, she still wasn't here. She was just something he was wanting to see as his end drew closer.

It was foolish to ask a figment for help, just as it had been foolish to fight one. He remembered the snakes and the owl's test. Lochan... Lochan must be real, then, in some way. Maybe not hatched yet, but real. Ashamin no longer paid attention to Tiamat--she was leaving, speaking, something inconsequential. His head was lifted and his black eyes were searching, desperate, for the last sign of his companion's egg. That, at least, had to have been real.

He tried to straighten up but even that was too much. He couldn't remember what the egg looked like, anymore. Had it been brown? And what size... it could have been any of the stones beneath the water's surface. Ashamin felt himself giving up and in; he turned his features back to the water again, letting himself fall with exhaustion.

He heard Tiamat's return before she was at his side, and his eyes opened in mere slits. "Going to be alright..." he said quietly, wondering if it was true. The dream-mare was doing something, trying to put something on him, he could tell. He blinked at the scattered leaves floating on the surface of the water. What had she wanted him to do? Eat them? He felt petulant, like a young child. He remembered his father trying to teach him things as a colt, and he remembered even more clearly stubbornly refusing, and the stern scolding that often followed--the occasional lash of a tail. Ashamin grumbled, nosing the leaves and shoving them away. They wouldn't do him any good, he didn't think. Not now, not when he was like this. "I don't want to eat this, TiamAHHHH!"

The pain was sudden and unexpected--as injured as his leg was, he still had it in him to kick out with it, tearing the wound further and causing fresh blood to spurt up towards the blue mare. "You're killing me!" Ashamin screamed, his eyes so wide that the faintest trace of white could be seen at their lining. He snapped, his white teeth closing before her face, his words coming out as a horse neigh between them. "You'll never be a healer if you can't help a simple man die!"

The effort of speech, the simple subtlety of movement, was too much. He threw his face back in the water, letting it rest half above the surface and half sunken. His hindquarter twitched, sending streams of blood through the rippling water and fish chasing after and away from him. His long tail lifted, just barely, and fell to the surface with a snap, stinging the bites upon it.

He felt everything dim. He clenched his teeth, pulled back his large black ears. It hadn't been fair. Slowly he looked back to the mare where she stood trying to help, the movement of the black orbs imperceptible.

"I'm sorry," Ashamin said to a mare he thought could never exist, a mare he loved for that false reality. "Try again," he said quietly, his rage subsiding, his heart slowing. "It's going to be alright, Tiamat."

It's going to be alright, dreamgirl.

"" ""
[[@[Tiamat]]]
ASHAMIN
Come again, closer,
and heed my forgiveness.

This is our mantra of pain
image credits

tiamat</style>

As Tiamat places the herbs on the stallion’s exposed wounds, she counts her breaths. One, two, three… in an effort to try and calm herself down, to slow her heartrate enough so that the pounding won’t be so loud in her ears and distract her more than she already is. She feels her muscles quivering beneath her satin skin, trembling and threatening to give out beneath her—but she mustn’t, she can’t. Ashamin—her dear, dear friend—is counting on her now, and she can’t allow her anxiety to get the best of her. She tries to swallow past the lump in her throat and blink through the blurriness of tears that are quickly building along her lower eyelids.

His shriek of pain is quiet at first, muted—she can hear her breath hitch in her throat and the beat of her heart slow. For the short moment when the stallion’s scream first pierces through the frost, Tiamat feels a haze wash over her again, pouring over her head like the quick seal of ice. Sounds are muffled and all she can comprehend is the air moving through her lungs and the thudding against her ribcage…all reduced to a slow, drawn-out second for just this moment, this blink, this breath…

. . . l u b - d u b . . .

And then everything is back.

Ashamin’s agonized howl rings, amplified in her ears and tearing straight through to the core of her body, reaching with fiery fingers and gripping her heart until it aches tightly. “I know it hurts—” The blue mare whimpers, her voice pained and her brow knitting in anxious, grieving concern. She hates this. She hates causing pain—she should be healing, relieving pain and not causing it. This isn’t how it should be, but perhaps sometimes it needs to get worse before getting better, right? That is the healing process, sometimes—she needs to understand that, as unsettling it is and no matter how much she wishes it to be different.

Having hunched over her friend as if she could absorb his pain and endure it herself, the sudden thrashing of his leg does not go without its mark. His cloven hoof collides with the breast of her chest, not enough to cause severe damage, but it leaves her breathless and her flesh throbbing with the promise of bruising. Tiamat stumbles back a step, his blood spraying up from his torn wound to dress her cheek in stark red spots. She breathes raggedly, clenching her teeth against the pain, keeping her eyes on Ashamin and fearing for his sake.

“You’re killing me!”

Suddenly her own discomfort is forgotten. Lips curl in horror, white eyes widening in terror and she leaps back to his side, hovering, worrying. “No! No—Ashamin!” She screams desperately for him. The fear in his eyes is unmistakable—as she would imagine with the blackness of death breathing down his neck. But what she doesn’t expect is for the painted stallion to writhe his head around and snap his teeth just inches from her face, his jaw clenching with the force of the words that break through his teeth like a knife through wood—frayed, deep, and raw.

“You’ll never be a healer…!

“Wha—what? She gasps, her eyes fixing on the stallion’s face, enraged with pain, and her body freezes still. Is—is she really hearing this? Is this really happening?

…if you can’t help a simple man die!”

“Ashamin, stop!” Tiamat cries, pleads, her voice trembling, please…please, stop.” She doesn’t move, frozen in the mess of blood and muck that churns around her legs, her mouth agape and her eyes round with shame. His words peal like a siren in her ears long after they have faded, the knife finding its way straight through her lungs and to her heart. She doesn’t realize that she’s not breathing until black starts to dot the edges of her vision. “I’m trying—I’m trying, Ashamin,” Tiamat whispers; her voice would have been a whimper were it any louder, but she barely finds breath enough to speak, her chest tight and choking from her disgrace. “I’m sorry,” she says, louder this time, her plea genuine and imploring for forgiveness.

She watches as Ashamin throws himself down again, seemingly exhausted from the effort of his agony-induced wrath. Tiamat is still hesitant, still tip-toeing around him, the fire of his accusations still burning in her mind—but she can’t focus on herself now. He didn’t mean it. He didn’t mean it—he couldn’t have.

Is she really unfit?

Should she not be a healer?

His eyes turn to her, but Tiamat is already looking at him. She purses her lips at his apology, tucking her head in towards her chest, the filthy water rippling beneath her from the tears that fall. He doesn’t need to give her an apology. But when he tells her to try again, she stiffens, the fear returning to stain her shame. “What?” She can’t…she can’t do that to him again. His flailing, his scream, his rage flashes behind her eyes, and she shakes her head, uncertain.

“It’s going to be alright, Tiamat.”

Her gaze finds Ashamin’s again, searching. Are you sure? She seems to ask him, wordless and desperate. How can you be so sure? She needs his strength, his endurance—his faith. “Okay,” she murmurs, still skeptical of herself, but continuing to recite what she has from the beginning. She can’t give up on him. You are going to be all right,” Tiamat insists, finally moving, extending her nose to breathe against Ashamin’s face, brushing his cheek gently before moving back to the thick gashes at his thigh. “It’s going to hurt again…” the uncertainty is evident in the trembling of her voice, and she takes a shuddering breath before lifting the herbs from the water. Perhaps after soaking they will not be as searing this time—but she hopes their effects will not wane.

She needs to heal him.

Surely this—all of this—has to be a dream, it can’t be real, it can’t be happening. Surely Ashamin would never say the things he had—he wouldn’t. But…but it feels so real. Even as she lowers her lips to Ashamin’s wounds for a second time, the haze of her mind flickering between fogginess and clarity, she doesn’t know what to think, what to feel.

What is happening?

tag; @[Ashamin]
“Speech.”

credit

The dream became a dream the moment Ashamin felt his kick after the retreat. It was as if time had rewound, morphed itself to play out different scenarios. He watched his leg pull back up from the water in reverse and make a slow, heady impact against Tiamat's chest. She was stumbling, splattered in blood, pulling herself away. If he knew anything, he knew it was his fault.

The mark on her chest was an immediate crescent he could not unsee--an indentation of the harm he caused, incarnate. He watched his leg drift back into the water, his teeth snap and then grit, slow, as his head retreated. He was living everything twice, as if it were not tiring enough the first time. Was this what dying was like? How long, then, would those last few seconds last? Ashamin doubted, then, that it was life that flashed before your eyes. No, just perhaps a moment, whatever unlucky thing greeted you seconds before death: over, over, and over again.

Ashamin heard the things he said again, but he wasn't sure if they were only echoes in his mind. Tiamat's eyes, so white, so pure, were filled with a fear he had given her. Did she really not know he was dying? Did she really think he could come out of this, two day old-gashes that had forced him to laying, to soaking in bone chilling waters with no food or company to carry him further in hope?

He would not be the one to tell her, then, of death. Perhaps she had never seen it, never felt its icy breath cold across her face. Maybe she didn't know much of it at all. He watched as she struggled to breathe, as she cast him looks of hurt, disbelief, and shame. The pair of them were no good at hiding their emotions, it seemed. They would always be partners of some sort with hearts on their sleeves.

And then she apologized, and his heart stopped, lodged in his throat.

He looked away, this time feeling the shame himself. She kept talking, warning, and he listened absently. He was drifting, anyhow: fading into something unlike life, something no herbs could steal him from.

This time, he braced himself. When the cold leaves touched to his wound he kicked but he kicked down, stirring up mud instead of trouble and pain. He threw his face into the water, black eyes open and staring down at that dark floor of the water. It seemed endless--consuming. He thought, for a moment, how much easier it would be to sink into it. All Tiamat was doing was drawing him further from its warmth, its promise of ending that pain.

But in time her medicine did it's trick, and he chewed and swallowed the last of another leaf left floating on the surface. He felt a numbness unlike the one the water had inflicted upon him--one, he thought, born of the healing work Tiamat was capable of.

When he pulled his head up from the water it dripped black, as if the markings on his face were bleeding into the water. But it was just mud and old blood. Everything was just that: mud, and old blood. He'd had old blood in his veins and he had old blood now, even as it left him.

"That's.... that's enough." the painted boy murmured, his eyes fluttering with exhaustion. "Just lay with me," he went on, dripping features reaching out to her chest. How could he tell her that nothing she could do would save him now? How could he explain that the best thing she could do was wait with him until his life was cut short by some God, some God called Mercy?

"" ""
[[Tiamat]]
ASHAMIN
Mercy
has no shrine.
She lives atop a temple of stones,
surrounded by worshippers,
each and all clutching candles,
little flames, close to their breasts.
But Mercy has no shrine,
my friend,
for Mercy is no God.
image credits

tiamat</style>

Tiamat does not know death—not that she remembers, at least.

The early years of slaughter and abuse have been erased from her memory, mercifully taken to leave behind the good, the pure, and the innocent. To her knowledge the world has not been unkind or unfair to her, as oblivious as she is to the blackness of jealousy or the cold loneliness of distrust, but rather has been forgiving and compassionate in its mercies for her. This just knowledge, this unadulterated belief, has never before wavered—until now.

White eyes, widened with the distress and anxieties that have swelled uneasily within her belly, focus intently on Ashamin’s wounds. The ocean mare tells herself not to look away from the miniature hills and valleys of his mangled, bloodied flesh—she must focus, she must succeed, she must heal. Because she is a healer, right? No matter how loudly or how painfully the stallion’s enraged accusations continue to assault her ears, or how strongly Tiamat’s resolve is shaken and her heart hurts, in her core she knows that it can’t be true. She knows, somehow, what she must do—what she must learn. She just needs to keep reminding herself, she can’t allow herself to forget.

Even so, her own little confirmation does not make this any easier to witness. The damp leaves settle into the grooves of Ashamin’s mutilated muscles, and his reaction is nearly instantaneous—he kicks out like before, his body shuddering violently against the pain she is sure is burning through his veins, lighting his blood like flames to gasoline, spreading to every corner and crevice of his broken body. Tears fill Tiamat’s eyes and spill over onto her cheeks, but still the blurriness can’t hide the thrashing of Ashamin’s body. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry…” she continues to mumble, the words little more than a sobbing mess of passion and pain that cry brokenly from her lips.

After a time—she doesn’t care to know how long—her friend eventually stills. It is only then that Tiamat blinks away the blurriness of her teary vision, and everything comes into sharp, excruciating clarity before the haze begins to return, drifting and dancing around them. “Ashamin?” She murmurs gently, fearfully…hoping against all hope. Wearily, the painted stallion raises his head from the filthy water—which suddenly seems far too large and bulky for his thin neck—and she almost feels as though she could cry out with relief.

The blue mare nearly laughs at herself, giddy with this sliver of release, and clings to it as an escape from this pain and turmoil that have devastated them. She sighs to herself, thinking that there might at last be a light at the end of the tunnel. Perhaps the worst is over now.

“Just lay with me.”

Ashamin’s invitation has her smiling through her sadness, the gesture not quite as optimistic as usual, but still a beam of light through their cloudy night. “I’m not going to give up on you,” Tiamat insists earnestly, encouraged, lowering her head and pressing her cheek against her friend’s extended reach. Nonetheless, she lowers her body next to his, wanting to do anything and everything within her power to help him. Her forelegs fold and move underneath Ashamin’s head, holding it out of the water, with the main part of her body angling so that her hind legs are nearly intertwined with his forelegs, the thick hair of her tail floating to span out just below the lake’s surface. The water is cold and bitter against the part of her skin that hadn’t been exposed, but she doesn’t complain.

It is only a moment until Tiamat begins to hum, her voice soft and trembling, without words for fear that her throat would tighten and silence her. She hums for the both of them. Maybe a part of her is comforted by the sound, reminded by Lena’s songs of healing and hoping—by some miracle—that her own voice would, somehow, do the same.

After a short while her voice fades into an unfinished close, her chest breathing in a ragged sigh and then she glances down to Ashamin. There is hesitancy in her expression, and she bites her lip before speaking. “What is it like?...Dying?” She fears to ask, not sure if she wants to hear the answer. Tiamat still worries for him, she is still scared—the blood has not gone away, churning around them like a sick omen—and it isn’t long before she shies her gaze away from his. “No—no, don’t tell me. You will be all right, I will heal you,” she murmurs, to both of them, lowering to press her lips against his forehead in a wordless promise—a promise to Ashamin as well as herself.

White eyes trail up over his body, eyeing his terrible wounds. “Do you feel any better?” The mare’s voice is louder now, but still trembles against her teeth, fearful of his reply. Her eyes are virtuous, childlike in their understanding and pure in intention. Tiamat doesn’t know death. Ashamin’s body no longer thrashes or writhes in agony, and she mistakes the cold, black fingers for the reprieve of pain, which her innocent mind can only comprehend as an accomplishment—as healing. Maybe, maybe, she has been successful after all.

tag; @[Ashamin]
“Speech.”

credit

"Thank you."

These were the young buck's final words, spoken moments after Tiamat placed herself beside and beneath him, uttered in response to her touch, to her kindness, and her innocent, foolish belief that she could still save him from the inevitable.

To her love: so boundless, so selfless, so pure.

Do you feel any better?

It was all he heard. It was all he could think about. It was a question he couldn't answer, not when he lay there feeling nothing but Tiamat against him and a dull, creeping ache that he thought might be death. When he closed his eyes he saw darkness; when he opened them, he realized he couldn't, and he hadn't at all.

Ashamin's body was cement and his heart was a broken drum. He wanted to look at Tiamat, he longed to reciprocate her touch and answer her every word, but he was nothing, anymore. He couldn't move, he couldn't think, and he couldn't breathe.

He wasn't breathing.

He was dead.

Somehow, he knew he was dead.

Do you feel any better?

He heard her question again, over and over, an echo that he could not make stop until he could maybe, someday, find an answer. But how long would that take, trapped in this blackness? Death, he knew now, was nothing but a blindness.

Who was the you? What was it, to feel better? Somewhere in this dark space Ashamin moved. He lifted each leg through that old mud and blood, feeling their weights unlike he ever had before. He could see nothing but he could feel everything happening to him. He was dead, and he could feel everything.

The blood that dripped down his leg never landed. There was nothing to land in. There was just a quiet black and that echo of that voice he so longed to answer.

Do you feel any better?

"Tiamat...." he whispered in his mind, wishing he could will the name past death, wishing he could make it strike air and be spoken.

Do you feel?

"I..." It was nothing. Everything was nothing. The being, the existence, was gone. No air passed through his lips--slightly parted, black and white--as they and his head fell from its place on Tiamat's delicate forelegs and filled slowly with water and blood.

Do you?

"I..." He didn't know who "I" was. He didn't know who anyone was, who this Tiamat even was, this creature who lay beside him so steadfastly as if she owed him her presence, as if she owed him anything.

Do you?

"I feel...."

Ashamin opened his eyes to the darkness of a cave in the Aurora Basin, with Lochan's legs draped over his back and his body wrapped in the silken sarong. The cerndyr's eyes were wide with fear, trapped as witness to a dream his bonded had already forgotten.

Aloud, to no one, to nothing, in darkness, Ashamin spoke and he didn't know why.

"I feel.... better."

"" ""
[[Tiamat--If you want I can post NPC after you and we can keep it in one thread? Might make sense. Just tag me on Ashamin.]]
ASHAMIN

I feel
better

do you?

image credits

tiamat</style>

“Thank you.”

The doom of the stallion’s final words, whispered and raspy, is dulled in its dark omen by the mare’s simple hope—the foolish, naïve, pure hope that she is not willing to give up on, so sure that the world cannot be so cruel, cannot be so unfair to not give her this. For all of her efforts, for all of her fear, for all of his suffering, surely she, they, deserves this—the life of her beloved friend to be given, spared in the very jaws of death. Surely the world cannot be so unkind to take that away from them. Tiamat will not, cannot, believe that it would—she cannot believe that there is a darkness so unforgiving to overlook the true and unadulterated integrity that beats from her heart and into every last sinew of her body.

It just can’t exist.

Lowering her head to rest her cheek against Ashamin’s, the blue mare breathes deeply, comforted by the stallion’s silence, her security ignorant in its core, knowing no different. But just as her heart dares to leap in its triumph, something is wrong—a cold, chilling grievance, an injustice, crawls from the stallion’s body and to her skin, quickly spreading like a poison from her cheek to her chest. There it finds her heart, and all at once it all comes crashing back. Like a wave of her father’s embrace, the fear and pain rise to overwhelm her once again, lacking all of her father’s strength and comfort—this is heart wrenching, dooming, and terrifying. From the very marrow of her bones, Tiamat feels anxious, her body suddenly tensing as though preparing for an attack—something…something is wrong.

“Ashamin?” She questions the black and white stallion, her dainty ears intent for an answer. Hearing none, she raises her head, white eyes looking down at her friend, trying to subdue the anxiousness that is beginning to bubble angrily in her chest. He has his eyes closed—and he looks so peaceful, almost as if he were sleeping. Almost. “Ashamin, please, answer me!” Tiamat cries, more earnestly this time, hoping to rouse him from his slumber if only to quiet her fears and calm her anxiety. She needs a confirmation of their success, of their triumph—she needs him to stir, to breathe, to move.

Whipping her long, plumed tail beneath the water’s icy surface in her rising uneasiness, the ocean mare shifts her weight. Still holding his head beneath her legs, she stretches her neck out, breathing over the skin of his shoulder and she watches—watches his body, waiting, waiting for the rise and fall of breath, of life. She waits, but she does not see. Ashamin has grown still and quiet, far too quiet. “NO—ASHAMIN!” Tiamat shrieks in a voice that is trembling from the terror that has her skin crawling with its bitter chill. For a moment she is frozen, shocked, unbelieving, but somehow she wills herself into action.

Robotically at first, she forces her body to rise, stumbling and shaking over her dear friend until she stands again at his side, facing his ghastly wounds. Throwing her head to the sky, she calls with a desperation that her lips have not yet known. “Gods help me! Please help me heal him! Give me the power to heal him!” Tiamat has never considered herself a religious individual. Not that she is unreligious, but perhaps she just hasn’t thought about it before. Surely, if these Gods that govern their little lives and watch over them on their heavenly thrones are anything like she believes a deity should be, then certainly they will listen to her—certainly they will make one small exception, so miniscule in their great vision, to give her this. “I need to heal him!” She wails to them, too wrought in her anguish to consider the deafness of their ears.

Her body is racked with sobs that have yet to pull sounds from her lips or tears from her eyes, caught in silent, pained tremors as she reaches down to Ashamin. She doesn’t know how magic should feel, but she tries to will it from her soul, as if the determination of her own might would be enough, but her efforts wield no results. “HELP ME,” Tiamat howls, almost angry in her desperation, and she clenches her jaw as she struggles with a war she has already lost.

Collapsing suddenly, the blue mare falls to her knees in the cold, filthy water, the tendrils of her mane disheveled and worn in her exhaustion. Gasping for air in panting, weeping breaths, she presses her head against Ashamin’s shoulder and lets slip broken, despairing words, “Please…help me…I need help…

Where is her God now?

Tiamat can’t help but feel abandoned in her hour of need, but she is too good, too virtuous to release the blame that settles like a cold, heavy weight over her shoulders, and she can’t shake it off. She should have healed him. The shame and guilt clench painfully at her heart. It is hers. Shifting her body just enough so that her head rests over Ashamin’s neck—now frigid and stiff with the grip of death—she lays in the dirty waters, broken, feeling the heat of her eyes sting and blur. “Ashamin…I…I—I’m so sorry,” tears roll down, glistening against the blue of her cheeks, freely now as the burden of death hollows her body in an inescapable grief. How could this be a dream when the loss of her friend claws like daggers against her heart, and the pain feels so painstakingly, so unbearably real? Did this…did this all really happen?

She’s ready to wake up now.

notes; D': -holds heart together-
tag; @[Ashamin]
“Speech.”

credit

NPC Posts: 298
User-based Random Event
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Tiamat's young, mourning cries do not go unheard. Even as she waits for a God, Ashamin's body begins to turn to stone, cracking along the faultlines of his painted markings and expanding, filling the pond of the secret grove and pushing those great waters out. His body grows beneath her stance, and greenery seeps through the cracks and crumbles the cold stone into warm, yellow grains of sand. The water of the secret grove tumbles trees and earth in its path and expands until there is nothing beyond it or below it. It becomes deep and bright: the endless blue, interrupted only by the island of Tiamat's grief.

At the shore of the island a white shroud bobs in the ebb and flow of the tides, circling the earth in white silk that serves as a barrier between the outside and in. Nothing will reach her, as long as the white is unbroken.

But this does not mean that Tiamat is alone.

The bright light of that day descends and the blue of the shore rises to greet it. A great wave crashes up, kissing the underside of the softest of clouds, and at their meeting a conversion occurs. The water forms the figure of an equine titan, the sky of the same. These are the parents Tiamat has believed in with so much fierceness, present now in her life for the very first time. They have come to see her when she calls for the divine.

The ocean is full of shadows. His body stems from the tides and thus seems to have no end, instead simply standing him on great pillars of water that swirl in constant motion. If he is of any breed then surely he must be a draft, one with feathers and foam as seaweed, and stalagmites from caves in the deep decorating the bridge of his great nose. His tail is a waterfall; his eyes are the depths of the sea.

The sky is lightness. She falls, airily arabian, on great wide wings made of overhead winds and lands beside her lover on delicate hooves made of cyclones. Her bright eyes flash like the sun, her hide is a bright blue spotted in mid-day stars and drifts of white clouds, existing impossible at once. Her two wings flare before she tucks one over the great body of the sea, revealing the patterns beneath them: dark as the night, and deep as unknowing.

These are not the Gods of Helovia, perhaps not of any other land, either--it is possible they have never existed and never will. They are perhaps only figments meant to arrive in dreams to the lonely, desperate, and fearful. But if nothing else, they are here in Tiamat's time of need, rising from nothing and watching her from over that great white swath of protection: the silken token of the dead's eternal affection.

"My daughter," murmurs the sky with a glowing concern that falls from her light-eyes, "why have you called for the gods when we are here for you?"

The ocean is quiet at first. His watery muzzle drips as it touches to the moving features of the sky. When he opens his mouth there is only the roar of the ocean, a static comfort. His love knows the meaning of this. Will Tiamat understand? Or will she falter at the vision of the majesty of nature she's so long believed in when it's been out of sight?

[[@[Tiamat]. Ocean & Sky. Ahh, this is so fun!]]

tiamat</style>

“Ashamin,” the ocean mare murmurs with a voice that is broken, anguished, and lost in its weakness, fraying and desolate, “I’m so sorry.” She presses her muzzle against the stallion’s frozen cheek, stroking his cold skin softly, her movements slow and robotic. Tiamat doesn’t know what to do—what happens now? What will become of her? She has failed. Apologies of woe and grief stumble from her lips until she can no longer count their number, knowing now that her are confessions are futile. Perhaps somewhere inside of her there had been a part still clinging to hope, to a miracle, that somehow—somehow—he would not be gone. That she had not failed herself. That she had not failed him.

But that hope is fading, slipping away from her fingers and she doesn’t try to hold it back. She watches as it falls, the last flickering ember of light, until it is smothered completely by the despair and heartache that thrash and howl inside of her. The longer she stares through weeping eyes at the face of her dear friend, so peaceful and somehow unfamiliar now, the more Tiamat feels herself coming apart. Her mind, body, and heart are breaking—cracking and tearing at the seams. Physically she is still healthy and strong, or so her mind tells her, but she feels like she is crumbling…slowly, but all too quickly, she is falling apart.

Almost instinctively, the blue mare tries to swallow it, quell it, anything that will make this agony and sorrow leave her and release the knots that have tightened her chest, heaving and awful—that it will just leave her alone. But she is naïve to such practices…always she has been so open and accepting of others, of the world, of herself. She doesn’t know how to push it away. She can’t swallow this. It won’t be buried. This…it is festering, blistering and painful. So much pain.

Why?

That is the question, the plea that continues to resonate through her thoughts, repeating its echoing, forsaken cry through the hollows of her body. Why? Why him? What has she done to deserve this? What had he done? Why would anyone deserve something like this? In her grief and confusion all she knows to do is plead, beg, and implore for forgiveness, as if it could somehow make all of this go away and right this horrible wrong. What else could there be but to beseech whatever has done this?

“I’m so sorry…”

Consumed in her harrowing grief, the ocean mare hadn’t noticed the changing that had begun around her. Only when she lowers her cheek again to Ashamin’s does she recognize that something is strange, something is different—the warmth of her skin is met not by his frozen flesh, but a cold and hard surface. Rocklike. Snapping her head back, she looks down too see that the stallion, her friend, has turned to stone, cracking and spreading, changing. “Ashamin!?” Tiamat cries in horror, reaching out with her nose to touch him, but by the time her head is lowered it sinks into something that gives beneath her force, grainy and fine. Drawing back, her eyes wide with both fear and confusion, she looks around to the Secret Grove, only it is not the Grove at all anymore.

The woods and lake have given way to an endless blue, its shores gentle and comforting as they lick at her little island. She is alone now—Ashamin is gone, his body has disappeared, disintegrating into the soft sands. “Ashamin!” His name is a gasp, a hitch of breath as she lurches to her feet—she can’t lose him again—but as she steps to the shores, a light breaks away from the heavens, descending to kiss the ocean as it rises with a strong swell of water, far more controlled and graceful than what she is used to seeing of the ocean.

Two figures emerge from this, the most gentle and careful of collisions, and she can only watch silently while they surface from their entities. They are the most beautiful and most majestic beings that she has ever seen, and somehow, something inside of her tells her something, knows something: they are hers, and she is theirs. She is not alone after all. Taking a step forward, she looks to the lady, the sky, the light, and everything beautiful. “Mama?” Tiamat dares to whisper, her voice barely audible, hoping against all hope that fortune has found her at last, that it has not abandoned her completely. Tears sting her eyes and she shifts her gaze to the king, the powerful, the merciful, and the protector. “Papa?” Her voice is strained from the tightness of her throat, happiness and relief swelling to mingle with the weight of the grief, and she doesn’t know what to do with herself.

Tears begin to fall again, streaming slowly after one another down her cheeks. “I thought…I thought they would help me…I thought they were supposed to help us,” the young mare tucks her head in towards her chest, shame blistering again to darken her mind and clutch painfully at her heart, “he’s…he’s gone. I couldn’t help him.” There are sobs now that shudder her slender body, sad and anguished, lightening her eyes with a different emotion—a fire of agony. I have failed you, she cries despairingly to herself, to them, to the world.

I have failed.

Her father’s language is foreign but in some way familiar as it rolls across the cool air, seeming to crash against her ears like his waves do to her body. He is powerful and mighty, rage and shadows—but he is also security, strength, and familiarity in this wild thrashing of emotions that she has found herself drowning in. “I have missed you!” Tiamat chokes out breathlessly, suddenly running forward to meet them, to be held, to be comforted. She doesn’t want this pain anymore, and from the hiccups of lingering sobs, she manages one selfish plea.

“Please don’t leave me!”

notes; sorry this took so long!
tag; @[Ashamin]
“Speech.”

credit

User-based Random Event
When she says their names they smile in the way that only nature can. From the sky's nostrils dark puffs are set free, from the ocean's lips drip with brine. It is as good for them to see their child as it is for Tiamat to see her parents.

"The Gods will protect you, perhaps," her mother answers solemnly. "But they will not reach you, here. They will not find you now." Her long tail conjures a storm in the distance with its motion, her bright eyes hint to a deeper meaning.

The ocean roars a soothing reply in regards to Tiamat's lost friend, a call for to his daughter: << He is elsewhere, Tiamat, but of no fault of yours. It is of no use to mourn the not yet passed. >> Whether she will understand the implication of his words is uncertain. Whether she will understand his speech at all is another matter. But if nothing else, will she at least understand the care he has for her?

After all, this is her dream. And doesn't she love them? She has spoken ill of the Aurora Basin, to its mender, for one fault only: its distance from her father. But now there is no distance, just a strange sort of happiness and the pride of two parents in the wake of an overwhelming grief. They are here for her, as much as they can be. This is what it seems like. This is how it appears.

But aren't dreams strange? And don't things appear differently than they are? How can her vision be trusted, when the living die and their corpses become islands, when oceans stretch outward eternal, and when great swaths of silks become circlets--when circlets become walls?

At the sound of Tiamat's plea, her mother's eyes turn a sharp black. "Tiamat, wait!" she calls, as if her words will end her daughter's love, as if anything could stop so powerful a force. The sky's wings lift and flourish, sending a wind that catches and casts her lover's wave towards Tiamat's feeble attempt. The water stretches up, crashing and colliding with that great sheet of silk. The cloth and the elements rise together in battle at the shore, each resisting each other, each trying to knock each other's walls down. Her parents are powerful in this dreamland, but the fabric cannot be defeated. It twists in elegant and familiar shapes, expanding higher, never breaking its circlet, even when the water forces it into a dome that covers Tiamat's island. The light of the sky's sun filters through weakly, and the water retreats in rivulets that run down and across the wrinkles in the white. As they fall, so too does this miraculous shield.

For a moment, if one is watching carefully, they can see in those folds the roman features of the buck who once bore them, the one for whom Tiamat cries, the one she exclaims she has failed. They can see a shuddering of his features, an expression as the wind ripples the white, and the mouthing of a warning. Things are not as they seem, not in this world, nor in the waking one. Ashamin's features tumble down, collapsing in a wrinkled heap that shrinks and floats again easily on the waves. The sound of their descent whispers again: "things are not as they seem. Be careful, be strong."

And perhaps Tiamat will not notice. Perhaps she will only see the expression her parents bear as they stand, defeated disappointed, at the shoreline. Perhaps she will note the slight disapproval in her father's gaze and the exhaustion in her mother's sigh, and not hear her fallen companion's insistence that crosses a mortal border.

But the matter has been made clear: The ocean, the sky, and all that lies beyond them in the dream, have no place on that island where she stands. And she, no place in their infinity.

[[@[Tiamat] Whaaaaaat I'm not stalking all your other threads noooo. Note that the ocean isn't really speaking words, to anyone other than the sky (and Tiamat if you so desire) it would just sound like the roar of the sea. I've shown everything as translated in brackets in case you want her to know what he is saying.]]

tiamat</style>

So enraptured is the blue mare in her blooming happiness, this balm for the pain that has descended to give her mercy—to rescue her from the pain and sorrow that buffet her fiercely with their dark suffering—that she doesn’t pause a moment to consider the deeper meaning to her mother’s words. Tiamat only comprehends the fact of her parents’ existence, their presence, and their comfort. In this moment, she does not contemplate the warped reality that hovers between wakefulness and dreams, this strange limbo that has her grappling and mourning in its grasp.

At this moment, all she cares to know is them—her parents—her protectors. Surely everything will be alright now with them at her side again, all of the little fragments of her heart (shattered so suddenly, so excruciatingly) will be pieced back together, and the world might just make sense again. Ashamin’s memory doesn’t deserve to be completely shrouded in the cold, black clutch of grief—he had earned so, so much more—but the young unicorn can’t seem to lift herself out of the shadows, try as she might. They writhe and scream around her, and through their darkness, she fixes her gaze on them, her light in the shadows, her anchor in this storm that she has been thrown into.

Tiamat hears her father’s words, and when she should focus on their meaning and heed their assurance, she only recognizes their comfort, and it gives her strength. She clings to this source of security, her body fragile with grief, drawn to it like a moth to light. It calls her forward, and almost involuntarily, she throws herself into their embrace, not willing to fight the temptation of its beckoning.

It is in this moment of weakness that her mother’s voice—sharp, unexpected, and earnest—cuts through her just when ethereal wings suddenly expand and thrust upwards to meet with her father’s strong, watery hand. Her body is jarred as Tiamat forces herself to an ungraceful halt, the spray of ocean waves saturating her skin as they rise and flow, climbing upwards until they meet above her in a great, tidal dome. Through brimming tears the blue mare blinks, backing up and stretching her neck to see this strange wonderment that surrounds her.

And just like that—it is gone.

The day’s light—far too bright and too saturated with color—begins to fall on her again as the streaming walls collapse in watery, silken sheets. For a moment, Tiamat catches something, someone in their folds, but recognition comes too late. “Ashamin?”  She gasps, her aching heart leaping, but he is gone before the breath leaves her lips. His words are muffled, fleeting, and she turns to her parents with them ringing in her ears. “…Why?” The solitary word is choke and strained, forced painfully from the tightness of her throat. Their stares are haunting. She can see the disappointment in their eyes, and it pierces her chest like a knife, stealing the air from her lungs and leaving her body cold.

“I don’t understand…why can’t I be with you?…Is it something that I’ve done?” The blue mare fights against the sense of disownment that blisters and sears through her heart, but even so, tears gather on her eyelids and spill slowly, privately onto her cheeks. Why have they rejected me? The cry rises unbidden in her mind. Tiamat doesn’t want to believe that her parents don’t want her—they are better than that, she has to believe—but why the disappointment? The refusal? As if called upon by her sorrow, the anguish swells again—reminding her of her failure and of the pain, of what she had been unable to do. “I tried, I’m so sorry…I’m so sorry,” a tortured sob breaks its way from her lips, trembling her body and blurring her vision. She sways where she stands, fragile in her loneliness.

It is then when Tiamat feels the icy grip of panic begin to wrap itself around her, freezing her muscles and tightening her chest until her breathing becomes difficult and labored. Suddenly, she is desperate. “Mama, Papa, please—please, don’t leave me!” The blue mare cries urgently to her beloved parents, willing to do whatever it takes to see the displeasure leave their faces and feel their comfort embracing her, the warmth of their acceptance assuring her that everything is all right.

Lowering her head, she looks up at them with hopeful, pleading eyes. The silence is unsettling, but perhaps it is what she needs—the stillness allows her mind to wander and expand, caught up in pain and mourning even as words flicker back to her. The voice of her dearest, lost friend—muffled and distorted—resounding in a clear echo through the watery, tumbling curtains. “Things are not as they seem,”  the young unicorn murmurs to herself, tasting the words on her tongue and rolling them in her thoughts before they begin to snag on the faintest, smallest hooks of understanding. “What does it mean?” She says louder this time, looking to her parents, and daring to hope that maybe it isn’t as horrifying as she fears it is.

notes; sorry (again) that this took so long!
“Speech.”

credit

@Ashamin

User-based Random Event
The two great forces, sea and sky, ocean and above, try not to let emotion play across their features. They watch their daughter's mourning, hear her crying out for them, but they are unable to help. She is far away, the distance between them slowly increasing as the tide rolls her father back into the sea and the sky above darkens with a storm.

"You are moving on," her mother calls out into emptiness, her voice becoming obscured as fain begins to patter through its tones. "It isn't anything you've done. You're just growing up."

And it is true. How many years has she clung to the belief that nature is her savior, her warm embrace? Every child must learn to let go, to find their own way. For too long, she has relied on them.

"We will never leave you. We will always be there. But--" a crack of lightning flashed, cutting her mother's bold frame in half. Her father's figure slowly fell like a tsunami in its tumbling descent. Was the salt from tears or the sea?

Thunder cut through the scene. Somewhere, somehow, the whistling of the tides and the rustling of the folds of silk whispered the warning still. Things are not as they seem.

Her father is eerily silent. All that could be heard was his rush, his tide, his ebbing into nothing. Her mother is the only one left who can speak, and even she is falling apart, two halves splitting and rolling away in fog. "One will come who will tell you we aren't real..." she said, sounding desperate and garbled but filled, still, with love. "...Someday you might remember something other than us."

And here the sky turned black and the white swath at the shore twisted as if in some sort of pain. It was absurd how something inanimate could seem so alive, so choked and strangled by the sea's final act.

"They are lying, Tiamat," her mother days darkly, eyes filled with shadow and body at last becoming nothing but air. Somehow, her voice is still heard.

"You need us."

In a flash, everything is gone. The endless blue, the island, and the last trace of Tiamat's beloved parents have disappeared. All around her is white, a floating feeling. Silk. Warmth. Wisdom. From it leaps her fallen companion, the corpse of the dream, the Haruspex. He is struggling, gasping for air, clawing at the emptiness with his cloven white hooves and struggling to stand, as if just waking up from a nightmare, as if just rising from an endless fall.

"TIAMAT!" he calls.

And then everything goes black.

[[ @Tiamat -- Endlessly sorry for the wait. Loved threading with you as all these characters, this was wonderful! :) ]]

tiamat</style>

Her parents are leaving, drifting farther and farther away from the little island she stands on, and silently she begs—pleads—for them not to go. But still the barrier swells, cerulean tides rushing to add to the distance, pushing them away until she feels their presence slowly fading. Desperately, Tiamat reaches out as though she could cross the distance that grows between them, satin nostrils flaring and white eyes shining with the tears that linger on her cheeks. Please, she beseeches of them, her heart beating hard and fast as though it could leap from her chest (perhaps it would be better then), and her sides quiver with trembling breaths, don’t leave me.

The sky darkens, and with it, her mother’s voice as it drifts across her father’s roiling expanse. Rain begins to trickle from her sister clouds as they suddenly rush above her, and for once, the ocean mare doesn’t throw her head back and bask happily in their cold, dribbling shower. It’s so hard growing up sometimes, her heart cries out, unwilling to accept the finality of her mother’s words, I don’t want to move on. Why must she move on? How is she moving on? Already emotionally frayed, Tiamat feels weak with the thought, terrified of being alone and grasping desperately at something she truly never had.

She doesn’t want to have to be without them.

Through her tearful gaze, the young mare watches her parents drift away, their retreat slow but all too quick. Her mother calls out, making promises that already seem to be broken as the tide pulls them deeper into the heart of the water, cut off with a bolt of lightning that sparks and cracks through the very matter of their beings. ‘But what?!’ Tiamat wants to cry out to her mother, to uncover the contradiction of their devotion and their presence, but the plea dies suddenly before it has a chance to leave her lips.

Tiamat doesn’t want to understand their excuses or their contradictions—knowing that her parents love her, care for her, and watch over her is too pure a knowledge to taint with darker uncertainties. Even as she feels her body—suddenly so fragile and ragged—threatening to give way beneath her, she readily accepts their love, clinging to it with skinny, weak fingers and half-hearted stubbornness.

The young mare sways unsteadily on her hooves, stumbling a step forward before the shores stop her, their frothy lips holding her back and leaving her to gaze forlornly out across the horizon. “I don’t understand, Mama,” she breathes anxiously, fighting the sobs that linger in her throat, thrashing with the pain and guilt that continue to writhe within her, “what else is there to remember?” Somehow she knows that she will not receive an answer—even in this strange place, held between wakefulness and dreams, she knows their omnipotence, far too mighty for her fragile, childlike mind to comprehend.

She just doesn’t want to be alone—she can’t be alone. Not now.

Whether it is the cracking of her heart or the almighty power of her parents, the island suddenly meets the ocean and together they thrust upwards to the sky, thrashing and twisting in an ethereal display of the chaos that shatters through her chest. Tiamat is forced backwards, stumbling until she falls unceremoniously to her knees. The wind is fierce as it whips against her body and through her hair, and for a moment all she can hear are the blustery gales and the chiming of her shells, until—from somewhere—her mother’s voice pierces into her mind, clear and ringing like the bird’s song in the new light of day.

“They are lying, Tiamat — You need us.”

I do,” she says, allowing her body to finally fall into the sands, looking up and squinting her eyes against the storm, trying to catch a final glimpse of the parents she loves so dearly, “I know I do.” And just as the last sound of her words fade from her tongue, everything vanishes. The water, the storm, the island, her parents—it is all gone, leaving only a pristine, quiet whiteness behind that feels so empty. Teary eyes glance around forlornly, a shuddering breath quivering from her lungs before she closes her eyes, holding them in a long blink and whispering one final, desperate promise, “I love you.”

And suddenly, he is there—gasping, struggling, faltering. “Ashamin—?” Tiamat cries, catching only the panic and hollowness in his eyes, her name shrieking from his throat and echoing in her ears before it all is consumed in blackness.

notes; I can say the same for you, Jen! Thank you so much, I've really enjoyed this:)
“Speech.”

credit

@Ashamin