the Rift

[PRIVATE] Who Told You That You Are Naked?

Knox Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 7 Years [Tallsun] HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen

Just as he is sleeping, there is this: You never remember how alone you'll never be.

And then Knox wakes in the dark of the cave. Manhattan is elsewhere. His heart is heavy but his body feels light. The cavern is aglow: red, gold, fire. He is unsure of himself and his being.

He is this, he is that, he is a god in the making, he is entirely nothing at all.

Perhaps it is Manhattan being gone when he wakes, but he feels now more than ever the powerful aspect of his loneliness. But his abandonment--is it self enforced? The black stallion surveys and circles the column of lava and light, seeking himself in it as if it were a waterfall reflecting back sinister perfection.

He has orphaned himself of all family and friends. He has no connections, and so he walks now, in the evening after waking from a day he does not remember and several days before that he does not wish to. The irony of returning again and again to this sight of destruction, this moment when his life crumbled from what he knew and dissolved into unresolved ash, is not lost on him. But he is drawn to the warmth of this crime-scene.

Here, where he stands, he once marked his independence. He once had pride he carried like a flag, even when he was too youthful to have earned it. Now, he is a sellsword of the self, left by everyone he's ever cared for.

Even Manhattan, she is gone, now.

The ancestors have nothing to say. The voices he was born with speak only in short, quiet bursts when he is asleep and out of consciousness. But now he wanders in a different sleep, the waking kind where reality and dream collide and intertwine dangerously.

As he walks around that column, somewhere in the woods so far away, where he was born, he is trembling from cold winter with Manhattan sleeping, low beneath his shadow.

[[For Ali. This is a dream. Permission for the coming NPC to powerplay and have all of Knox's knowledge (IE, know of his forms and relationships, etc) as it is a figment of his dream. For any interested, the title of the thread is Gen. 3:11)]]

""

Knox, alone
Image Credits!

NPC Posts: 298
User-based Random Event
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

"Well, well, well." A voice purrs, deep and familiar to any and all that had the pleasure of coming into contact with her and her family. The voice, however, seems disembodied, like its floating somewhere between reality and dream. "Look what's finally made it back home to Helovia." Smoke, similar to what Knox uses to blind begins to roil and within it a form begins to take shape, sleek and black with grey eyes as hard and cold as steel. "Welcome home, Knox." The voice hisses from within the smoke. "My traitorous little brat." The smoke clears and reveals the black jaguar standing there, glaring maliciously at the stallion she had brought into the world. The one that had turned her most prized son against her. The one that had taken her life before she could fulfill her greatest wishes. "You disappoint me."

"."

ooc://
just to clarify, Mandrake is part of a dream :3

Jen

She, the ghost of his mother, is the last thing he has ever expected to see. But here she is, rising from ash or fire or smoke or hell knows what, right before his eyes.

And though he is surprised, he feels a calm. He is not scared. He feels his eyes lock with hers, so steel and cold, so familiar, so enchanting. They're... comforting.... Knox thinks to his ancestors, turning as if to find them standing beside them. But they are quiet, and they are gone, and save for this feline ghost, he is alone.

"Helovia was never your home," he says, cooly. He steps closer to her. Will she be there if he reaches out to touch? He cannot remember when he last touched is mother--if he ever did.

But he realizes, then, as he looks up at that column of fire at her back, the exact time when he last touched her. When he killed her.

"Your home was with your family, wasn't it, Mandrake?" Knox walks around her, looking over her, trying to determine if she is real. He doesn't doubt her appearance. He's heard too many things, felt too many things for other minds, to ever doubt reality now. If she is before him, then she is real. She is dead, and in a way he knows this is a haunting, but she is real.

More real than anything his aching heart has ever felt in her long, cold, absence.

"I've left them. But you must know that," Knox offers. He gets the sense she is in some state of omniscience, now. Perhaps she is more a god to him than any who guards the shrines at the veins. She, at least, will always be immortal in memory. Her sons will never forget her--their sons, will never be free of her in the ghost stories their fathers will tell them. "Is that why you feel I've failed you? Even when I stand here, covered in fresh kills?"

And when he rolls his shoulders to step forward, he feels the weight of those murders. Four wings rest on his back, now: feathers brushing the ground, gold tracing the cave's stone floor and magenta splattered with the same deep red of dried blood. His bridle feels looser, his body smaller and lean as it once was in his first year, his heart slowed into a careful obedience. Is this, the appearance of the child he was when he still hung upon her every word and dripped with his father's blood, wrapped in a cape of stolen feathers, not something that will impress her?

Will anything?

[[@[*Ranjiri]--Mandrake is allowed to read all of Knox's thoughts. Knox now appears as a yearling, and is wearing Muriel's wings. Eek! So excited!]]

""

Knox, alone
Image Credits!

User-based Random Event

He is correct when he says that Helovia was never her home but for the moment she remains quiet and watches him as he steps toward her. Then he speaks again and she smiles, revealing her deadly pointed fangs. "It was." She purrs almost pleasantly. "But you took that away from me, didn't you? Such an ungrateful child. You had the world at your hooves and you screwed everything up." Her tail lashes and her claws extend to scratch at the rocks that she stands upon. "I could have made you stronger." She suddenly hisses, her eyes growing colder and more malevolent. "But you walk a path of weakness. Too weak then to fight me on your own and too weak now to do what needs to be done to bring our family to greatness."

"I've left them. But you must know that."

"Of course I know!" She hisses as Knox interrupts her. "I know everything you've done. There is nothing that you can hide from ME."

"Is that why you feel I've failed you? Even when I stand here, covered in fresh kills?"

"DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT YOUR KILLS!" She shouts and the black jaguar explodes into a cloud of black smoke that roils like a living thing. "I know..." A voice hisses from inside the cloud of smoke. "You feel guilty." Out steps the true form of Mandrake, her dappled coat red with the blood of her family's kills. Blood she wore proudly. "Your guilt makes you weak. Your guilt makes you a disappointment."

"."

@[Knox]

Jen

How many times will he falter like this?

There is something about Mandrake that warms him. He will never forget how she drowned him, choked him, and at the same time he will never fail to feel a sort of comfort in her presence. He killed her, he felt her bones snap under him, and now when her ghost is here (and then mist and not there) he is scared, again, like a child.

How has she diminished him to this?

The wings drop from his frame, landing with a thud on the earth in a flurry of white feathers. His face falls when she reappears as an equine. His large ears, ones he has no longer grown into, droop but not in the thinking way, no--in the crestfallen, defeated fear that he was once so familiar with.

He can hear so little. He can hardly understand what she is saying to him, what her intentions are, but he knows that she is disappointed. And he remembers that feeling of having disappointed his mother. As his figure grows smaller and he stands as a colt just a few months after birth, unaware of his own being, he feels his cheeks growing hot and remembers the shaking of his legs as a youth.

"What would you ask of me?" he cries out, his voice young and ill-determined, shuddering. This is not strength, it is submission. His child's tail lashes against his hind legs, his fore two spread to steady his shaking self. "I have tried! I tried to succeed with you and then I tried without you, and I have been left with nothing but my own failures! What would you ask of me now, mother?"

And he is pleading, and begging, and hoping for some words of truth. He seeks anything that will build him up, turn him from this child to something stronger. What was he then, again, in those early moments of his life? So different from what he's called himself now, the hunter. Ah yes, he remembers. Surely, she will too.

Little defective colt.

[[@[Ranjiri]]]

""

Knox, alone
Image Credits!

User-based Random Event

"What would I ask of you Little defective colt?" She asks her words as cold and biting as they were in life. "Don't fail! Since when was failure ever an option in our family, child?" She begins to circle Knox's shrinking form and does not bother to hide the disdain in her eyes as she takes in his appearance. "So weak." She says with distaste. "You let your feelings of remorse and guilt overwhelm you and that leads to your failures. You let love for that mutt cloud your judgement. You allow her to influence you as if she is the master and you the servant..." Mandrake stops and she faces the little defective colt. "Kill her." She says. "Crush her, beat her into submission, do whatever it takes but solidify your place as master."

She pauses and a wicked smile curls her mouth upward. "Or you can do the same to her that you did to your little friend." She says. "What was her name? Aylin?" And she laughs because she knows what Knox knows and what he thinks, but she also knows what his ancestors know because they are a part of him that he will never escape just as she is. "You think she wandered off, but you left her behind. You blinded her, attacked her, tasted her blood, and you left her there." She laughs again as she stares down at Knox. "You don't even realize how cruel you can be do you, Knox?" She asks, but she is thoroughly pleased what what he's done. "She's probably dead by now. No one that weak could ever make it back here alone..."

"."

@[Knox]

Jen

Though he doesn't know it, and though perhaps he may not remember until he awakens, she is nothing more than a figment. Mandrake is long dead, this ghost is just a haunting of his own creation. What he knows, she understands. What she speaks, he has already known for a very long time.

But in this moment he knows her only as a creature outside himself, forcing him to stand at the threshold of cold-hearted and broken, of murderer and friend. He could obey, and as he listens to her wicked commands some part of his heart, deeply buried, yearns to. But she has gone too far: he will never hurt Manhattan.

He will never hurt his island.

"She has never faltered!" the colt says, his voice booming, the tide of his figure rising until he stands tall as he should and towers over the old frailty of the bitch who raised him. "She has been beside me when you would put me down, and she will always be at my side, and I will never harm her! She has sacrificed everything for me!" His blue eyes are lit red by the column of fire, his heart beating nearly loud enough to wake him. And he realizes how true his outburst is, and how much Manhattan means.

"This, you cannot ask," he says with a snarl. But just as he is about to continue, she does. With her wicked tongue she spills what he wishes were lies and what he knows, somehow, are truths.

Aylin.

By all gods or goddesses, wicked as they are, forsaken as he is in their shadows, Aylin.

He has hurt her. He has hurt her more than he knows, and Mandrake's ghost has seen it all. In this dark cavern, she knows what the hunter has tried so hard to forget.

Knox is not scared of Mandrake, anymore. He walks towards her, not stopping, backing her closer to the fire, maybe even moving through her if she fails to alter her course. In that red column is a heat he has to feel, a flame that might wake him if he stands close enough.

It is whether she backs down, whether she steps aside, that will determine this.

And it is he, somehow, that decides her every move. Even as he speaks he feels her speaking, too--that dry raspiness of the throat of the dead, sitting somehow inside him. "The harm done to Aylin is my regret--my fault to fix. But you have no right to speak of it, not at all, not as if it were just another job well done, another son's trophy to place on the mantle. You are the foul creature that could do such a thing and feel no sort of pain for it," he says softly. He is powerful, perhaps even menacing, in his sincerity. She will not respect this, he expects. She will not consider his fondness for that mare and his companion to be anything but further weaknesses. But she will be wrong, and he will always know it. Even as he stands, drawing closer to the fire in hopes of abandoning her presence someday, even if it means death, he knows the many faults his mother bears and will never admit to: hubris, being the greatest of them all.

And he knows too, then, how he has hurt the one who loves him so. But the pain has always been there, and it has chased him from the Old Country back to the site of his birth. He has let it rule him, and now?

Now, he can only seek forgiveness. Now, he can only seek her.

[[@[Ranjiri]]]

""

Knox, alone
Image Credits!