the Rift

Crow Feathers

Masanori Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Masanori

At times the two worlds in which he existed would collide, and no longer stand separated from day or night. Reality and dream would clash in subtle glances; the glimmering eyes of a crow, perhaps, in the shadow of a tree. Or the steady gaze of the elk, a stone face, unflinching for a second and vanishing before he could grasp its presence. Leaving all but the unsteady branches of a pine to waver with the wind.

These faces; crow and elk, they would seem like strangers in this small and tiny world. But they were constant friends to Masanori.

They came in dreams. They came when he slept. Leading him through uncharted pines and the bare skin of deciduous trees by day. Along the sharp slopes of a mountain edge, through the snow and beyond rivers. Without a true compass to steer his voyage, he followed them instead. Illusions, spreading wings and bounding further into endless forests. Until he came to the opening of the Helovia Threshold. With a quivering neigh, he sucked the air into his nostrils. The smell of others, flesh, lingered in the air.

---

The previous night had brought snowfall. As he entered the Threshold by day, it was quiet and solemn. The ground appeared untouched, the forests covered by layers of snow. Beautiful. It appeared like any other snow fallen sanctuary. The air could be unforgiving, but today it did not pinch his lungs or sting his lips. It was cool and surrounded his body with a pleasant touch. As long as he kept moving, as long as his muscles contracted, and relaxed by the drive of his pulse, the cold was not that bad at all.

Hesitantly he entered and continued at the pace of a walk. Stopping now and then, to hang his head towards the ground, his muzzle, sniffing the floor for recent scents. He did not understand why he might try to contact anyone else, other than to avoid them and find his own path. But the dreams had reassured him. By some bizarre conviction, he was meant to be here.

Lifting his head he moved along. A whinny rumbled forth, pitched, an invitation for someone to join him.

It was not loneliness that had brought him to such a conclusion. He was not desperate for a companion, since, he thought he had one or two already. He was looking for something he did not understand or know of. Searching, for a sign that might lead him elsewhere. A sound made him stop.

The mere crack of tree limbs echoed out in the distance. Twisting his ears in its direction. The sound of heavy snow, plopping, plundering below into the frozen earth. And what he thought was the coarse ruckus of a crow, before its feathers lifted off, along to somewhere. Away from here.

Essetia Posts: 218
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3HH :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Romul :: Arctic Wolf :: Confusion Linds
Essetia & Romul
But we threw it in the flames and now we're never gonna trace it
The aimless wanderings of a girl and her wolf were all that gave light to the imminent meeting between the stranger and ‘the strange’. Essetia had been born a native to the lands she called home, but they had not always fostered the young Informant nor had they given her shelter all her life. However, her return had been unavoidable and her story just as predictable as the last (so she’d have you believe) and, as the newest resident of the Dragon’s Throat, she had come back to her beginnings in search of another not unlike herself.

Romul, true to his nature, wandered just ahead of his companion –surely scouting out scents of the past and present creatures of the Threshold- while Essetia herself meandered behind, more than content to ruminate over her current position in the Throat. She had challenged the pompous fool Bucephalus for his title as head Sleuth and she had managed to dethrone the prattling, young imp after a bit of persistence on her part, but now it felt more like a dream than any reality she’d ever experienced. In fact, nothing in her life felt as concrete as it once had since meeting the mysterious warrior with his ocean-blue eyes in the depths of the Heart Caves. He was all that the unseasoned mare could picture or yet imagine when she closed her eyes to sleep and he’d given no name and certainly nothing other than his face to remember him by… Perhaps that was why the Gentle Heart’s daughter had been so taken with him… or still remained as such.

Even ideas of her victory were now overshadowed by the questions a mere stranger had revealed despite his absence, and visiting the damned Threshold was all that Essetia could do to thwart her desires to find him again. The coming of winter had stirred an uncertainty in the girl and with herd expectations seemingly nonexistent, the informant-turned-sleuth had sought out other ways to occupy her time.

It hadn’t taken long for Essetia’s mirthful, young wolf to set upon a path that would lead them toward the company of another, but before the hound’s sensitive nose could determine ice and snow from the heat of a living body, that foreign body found them by way of invitation. Essetia was quick to answer it in kind and found that she was glad for the distraction or more so thankful that such a call had managed to find her there despite Helovia suffering from the terminal effects of a harsh and worrisome winter. Had it been summer, spring, or fall, the mare would have lurched along the wooded trail like a frolicsome child, but the years had made her wise or at least wise enough to know that an icy slick underfoot a creature of her size could mean disaster.

Though the Threshold was a large and burdensome land, it didn’t take the badger-faced mare very long to uncover the man behind the song that had lured her from her wanderings. Romul, though rarely optimistic, appeared somewhat complacent at the sight of the newcomer and instead of tilting his golden eyes back toward his companion, he was fairly pleased to practice his newfound talent for complete avoidance. Instead, he bounded through the snowdrifts, throwing up both ice and dirt alike as he disappeared through the tree line beyond. Essetia had come to greet the stranger with little more than a half amused smile, her pale, white eyes alight with mischief. “You called?” she remarked with a hint of a question that somehow managed to purse her lips as she spoke. She studied the great stallion that had wound up at the boundaries of her native land, most likely seeking refuge, and settled –albeit tensely- back onto her haunches. This wasn’t the Sleuth’s first rodeo, she’d encountered stranger creatures than that man that stood before her now, but that didn't mean much when it came to those who arrived in Helovia.

Masanori
Image Credit

--Excuse me while I whip out my 3rd person POV... I haven't written Essetia in 3rd in quite some time. Figured it would spice things up a bit. XD Also, do you want to be tagged every time? You can tag by using: @[Name] (beware, the capitalization and spelling have to correct & it will double tag if you go back in an edit a post.)

◄ Please tag Essetia in all replies!
◄ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
◄ Pixel @ SongsOfInfinity

Unregistered

Masanori

He could hear footsteps upon the earth. It surprised him, despite having expected some sort of answer or another. Not this quickly, surely. Masanori lacked any concrete basis for which he compared the response to. The days behind him were numerous, and easily bled into one another. All recollections of other equine passed by as dull glimmers in a much larger chapter in his life. With quiet passing, their voices had lifted up into soft murmurs. Sometimes, a pair of eyes would meet with his. But he had refused to stop and acknowledge them then. Refused to delve in the social ambiguities tethered to such gazes. And here he was, another set of eyes pale and forthcoming. For a moment he thought, she might see right through them; an empty soul, simple minded, aloof. As if she had caught him bare and naked. Had she commented as such he would have found no argument, and proceed to agree fondly of this observation.

Another noise, subtle, darted from the female to the back of her ‘pursuer’. He lifted his head high with a brief motion. Smelling the air for the predator. His ears flattened, jolted by the realization that a wolf is often settled into a pack of brothers and sisters. And with the height of the winter season settling upon these lands, enamoured by the scent of fresh blood. To his curiosity the mare did not seem to notice or care much for the presence of the creature. Shifting on his feet, his ears relaxed as the wolf ran off. Shaking his head briefly, his eyes resumed as her voice sampled the air around them.

“… and you have answered,” he replied slowly at first. Hesitant, as the words quickly picked up on their own. Became familiar and distant with which the form of his lips took on, having movement and shape without true purpose. His head tilted at that moment. Stepping forward in an air of profound curiosity. “Will you walk with me?”

His voice sought for something. But the level of question did not hinge off of a desperate plea. Subdued as they were, he could not help the rusty edge from which his voice pressed into the air. Weathered but far from being old or weary of his travels.

It seemed strange to make contact in this way. Offering a moment of intimacy by the gesture of his leg, extending it in her direction. As though it were natural for him to suggest as much. Lacking true form, any hint of regal formality, his reactions were as how she had first caught him with her eyes. Exposed, naked in his approach.

But there seemed to be no other way to react to her. And the idea that they were nothing more than strangers kept him calm. The distance between galaxies, as they rushed farther and further from each other, came with a mutual line of defense. However lonely it appeared to some. Even so, as Masanori figuratively surveyed the distant stars of the people around him, his gravity had pulled her to him. Somewhere deep in his psyche, the warmth of this proximity would spread. Uncovering perhaps, more than bare bones and empty soul.

@[Essetia]

- No worries. :3 I'm still trying to wrap my head around Masanori's writing style, and how I should tackle it. ^^; And I don't mind being tagged.

Essetia & Romul
Romul had grown all too accustomed to the worrisome nature of prey animals and had long since enjoyed leaving Essetia behind to ‘man the gate’ when it came to recruiting, but his presence was still often required as proof of the bond the two shared. Besides, he was not one to wander far when the mare was faced with the questionable company of foreigners. The wolf himself hated change and frequently expressed such woes since arriving back in Helovia at Essetia’s bidding. They had been raised in the Edge and had suffered through the invasion of the Falls only to wind up living in the south where even the sands grew tired of the blasted sun. Visiting the Threshold mid-winter was something of a reprieve for the young wolfling and it was a time when he could embrace not only his species, but also the thick, white coat native to his breed. However, his frolicsome romping soon came to an end when the softest of whispers compelled him to return to his ward and sister, more than likely to put a swift end to any fear her newfound friend might harbor for him. Scared? he questioned of the painted garron.

Hold your tongue, was all that was proffered in reply.

Duty-bound, the servant answered his master with no desire to make haste. His golden eyes were the first to be seen, as they contrasted against the pale white robe of winter, and then the faintest glint of two, perfect rows of sharp teeth. He offered the stallion a wolfish smile and came lazily to perch at Essetia’s shoulder. “It appears I have,” she commented soon after, a softer smile turning away the slight purse of her lips. She studied the way the stranger spoke and, were it a texture, admired the roughness of his tongue. He appeared so nervous in her presence or perhaps unaccustomed to her brazenness, but surely none of that mattered so much as how he’d ended up at the borders of Helovia. Somehow, the mare saw in her guest a likeness to herself after spending so many months in the wilds beyond the vast landscape of her god-governed realm. She too had arrived again very much uncertain of the life just beyond the thick of trees that guarded the trio from reality. Somehow she pitied the man his woes and nodded slightly at his request for her company. “Maybe it would be best if you walked with me,” she amended with a knowing stare. “I find that my knowledge of these woods is superior to your own… unless I’m mistaken?” the mare questioned easily and without assumption.

The Sleuth was a clever girl and never too careful with anyone but Romul. However, a spy could be outsmarted if one tried hard enough and it was up to Essetia to determine whether or not the stallion she humored was truly friend or foe. Instead of waiting for her cohort to agree to her terms, the mare began a small trek through the winding path of the Threshold, all the while pushing through a thick layer of freshly fallen snow. She’d allowed a wide berth to her left so that the stallion might have room enough to walk alongside her, an equal. Romul on the other hand had been forced to bound about through the icy thicket at her right -cursing the mare internally for her supposed ignorance- before favoring a different route altogether. “I’m Essetia by the way and that, my friend,-” she motioned toward the general direction of her wolf with a slight tossing of her head, “-is Romul.

Her gait was slow and even as she waded through the ankle-deep snow, but she turned to face the painted man anyways simply because her knowledge of the path was enough to walk it blindly. “Since I seem to have forgotten my manners, I guess it would be proper for me to formally welcome you to Helovia… Is there something you seek here?” Essetia asked with a curious eye fixed on the garron at all times. She was a creature too unabashed by her own confidence, but knew also that she hadn’t always been that way. Perhaps it was well enough that she sensed a certain strength in the patchwork wanderer; it was good that she’d found him when she did.

@[Masanori]
Image Credit

Unregistered

Masanori

His focus shifted when the pale wolf returned. Ears flickering, nostrils taking scent. It was more than habit to taste and smell the earth and air, water and animal; it was a skill set that he cherished most. At the flash of wolf teeth, a wary rumble bellowed from his chest. Cautionary. The sight of their casual approach to one another however, seemed quite… extraordinary. It made his eyes harden.

The stallion thus kept quiet as she took to words. She had offered a change of face, a smile; yes, he could recognize this but did not mirror it. It made her appear warm and sincere. An assumption he could not easily appraise. It was with a simple nod that he accepted her suggestion.

“I tend to take my chances.” The decision, thus, was made. The mare moved forward, her long legs leading him into this unknown. The paint watched for only a second or two before catching up on her left. Now and then keeping sight of the canine to her right. He decided to keep pace with her. Not minding the thick snow as they plodded forward.

She mentioned the wild beast, Romul, she called it. “Friend?” The stallion echoed. “… what do you mean by friend?” He glanced from where the wolf had taken off, to meet her face. Eyes resting, momentarily, on the distinct white marking upon her face before he guided them out and ahead. Avoiding the direct gaze of her eyes as they walked. And instead, relaxed his neck and shook his head. A single eye, sky blue, was all he had afforded at that moment to discern her queries.

“There is something I seek.” Simply said.

“I can’t say what for.” He swished his tail lazily behind him. “I’ve been traveling for a long time. The road gets rough, but I don’t mind it... And then I came here, I guess. Helovia, you called it? Yeah.”

He scanned the forest to his left. Watching how the tree stumps overlapped one another in the distance.

“I’m not certain if what I seek is here.” It didn’t bother him. The stallion was content on being on his own. The physical terrain had fueled him out there. Although, the further they walked, he became more aware of multiple, lingering scents. Hinting, that this world before him was much more than what he had first anticipated.

“I am Masanori.”

He gave his name like an after thought. Something he had almost forgotten to say.

@[Essetia]

Essetia & Romul
It certainly came as no surprise that outsiders, or rather those still unaware of the old power that resided within the very bones of Helovia, found creatures like Romul to be alarming. The cowardly King’s daughter had learned from a young age that not everyone would welcome her wolf to heart as easily as she had done when she was just a filly. However, their relationship was quite different than most would think; Essetia had grown up with Romul. He was her brother, protector, and confidant among other things. He had played the role of father, mother, and friend… He had risen from the chains of servitude and come to sit equal his Queen. They were very much united and very much a single mind forged of two. Together they had shed their flesh and bones; they had merged their very souls and escaped the ashes of a long and volatile past. In truth, they were better rogues than entitled royalty… perhaps it was best that the Gentle Heart had abandoned his throne and weanling daughter. She had grown from the strength of solitude and created a fortress made from wolf song.

I suppose you’ve picked the right companion for your endeavors then,” the mare jested lightly.

However, the Sleuth did little to soothe her new friend and his wariness of her predator bond, but instead nodded solemnly at his curiosity. It took a bit of time for her answer though and somehow it seemed just that she would hesitate to satisfy the stallion’s inquisitiveness. What she and Romul shared was a sacred thing and oftentimes she regarded it as mere common knowledge. When had she become so selfish?

When at last the garron fell into stride beside her, Essetia listened carefully to the heartbeat of the wood just in case it yearned to warn of her of any ill fates. She still had yet to provide an explanation for Romul and their queer connection, but was content to let the quiet of the Threshold act as a balm for the secrets she was about to reveal. When she had turned, her lips parted slightly and the words hanging just at the tip of her tongue, she was startled to find herself face to face with the stallion’s dual colored eyes. Whether or not she had simply overlooked them before was debatable, but her shock stemmed only from the fact that he had finally found the nerve enough to face her head-on –if only for a brief moment. Silently, she applauded him his efforts. “I think ‘friend’ would be a fairly loose term for Romul,” she began distractedly. “Helovia’s community would call him a companion, but what ties us together is much more than companionship if you ask me. There’s no good way of describing it really… but in a sense we are bound for life and no one will ever be able to take the other’s place,” Essetia finished on a sigh.

As they continued down the path, the Sleuth strayed slightly toward the right and consequently into a thick of trees so tall that one had trouble seeing their crowns. It was a calculated plan in truth and one that might alarm her guest, but Essetia was not a malignant creature… In fact, she was anything but. While she was busy scouting the quickest path out of the Threshold, the wanderer filled the silence with thought. Everything he said appeared more of an idea to Essetia than a decision. He reminded her of a stalk of grass that bent wherever the breeze blew… he followed life just as much as it led him. “I’ve never believed that we are meant to find everything we seek,” the Sleuth mused as they worked their way through the thicket. From time to time snags of dried bramble caught around her legs and though she was unfazed by their tireless assault, she feared that the garron might find them bothersome. “It won’t be much longer,” she informed vaguely.

When at last the trees seemed to thin and the wide expanse of the Thistle Meadow stretched out before them, Essetia paused to glace back at Masanori. The name seemed to suit the dream-like fellow well enough and she smiled slightly at the sound of it. Just beyond, the meadow lay exposed beneath a fine layer of immaculate white and the frozen stream that weaved through the plane seemed to draw her eyes out across an eternity of cold that had no end. Soft winter rays danced lazily across her back and made her skin prickle from its warmth… It contented her to know that everything they needed to see was right there before them. Helovia was much larger than met the eye and so full of life and mystery that it would be a wonder to leave. “Of course, sometimes its better we don’t know what we’re seeking. At least then, we don’t have to be sure we’ve found much of anything,” Essetia commented absently.

I’d like to invite you to the Dragon’s Throat; it’s a herd land just south of here. You don’t have to know what you’re seeking just yet… but I’d like to think I could help you find out.

@[Masanori]
Image Credit

Unregistered

Masanori

His eyes alighted from the brief encounter of their faces; a low spark, a hint of intelligence perhaps. He wouldn’t have been able to tell, and the feeling from its rare combustion had no description. His response - merely reactionary to the internal spaces of his mind - marked the mix matched lips with a rare smile. One that did not last long without the fuel to keep it growing. As soon as he had turned his head forward, it had long since faded. Capturing what appeared to be hesitation to Masanori. With a second thought he wondered if she would bark a warning for the brief gravity his eyes had fallen from. But to his surprise her long silence came with a reply he didn’t entirely expect.

“Bound by soul, then?”

… we are bound for life, she said. Masanori could not think of any other bond deeper. The idea of love was a concept the stallion knew very little of, and perhaps there was some physical component attached to this idea. The days of his childhood – he knew he must have had one – would not peel back the thick mists that clouded his memory. He was not sure what he might expect. Were he anyone else, perhaps he would have wished for a certain upbringing. Would it have made him stronger, he thought?

Sometimes he would fancy these trivial thoughts for just a moment. Simply because he could not control them – a fool’s game that the fool might enjoy playing. He had enough perception that there was no point to this game, no time wasted on a past forgotten. Bend as he must to the strange and wondrous things in this life, surely, he would find his roots and take stake.

The paint took another deep breath in through his nares. Just to smell the wolf once more. At least it was real.

His gaze wandered about to view the terrain, his ears twisting for the sound of any others. Despite the rich aroma lingering in these halls, there were no others he could hear or see with his eyes. Perhaps they knew these woods too well, and avoided the sight of one accompanied by the mare. Without thinking twice he continued to walk beside her in the thick and wooded path. The light was dim here, partially blocked off by the spider web branches overhead. It reminded him of the dreams, of his ‘companions’ in the dark. Enchanting the stallion, as if by a spell or twist of magic.

“Perhaps.” He seemed to muse along. “There are many though, who will die trying. Seeking becomes obtaining and preserving.” His lips stilled briefly then. “I imagine there are very few things that last eternally. Perhaps it comes down to what’s worth fighting for.”

The stallion’s head bobbed in response to her reassurances. Not far now. He gave little notice to the brambles as they hitched along his feet. Especially as the meadow spread out before them, bringing his heart to quiver. The colt residing in him enjoyed the open pastures, and made his legs ache to race through their pristine, shapely curves. He lowered his head slightly, tossing it to remove the wild locks from his eyes, before raising it high. Resting the weight of his haunches with enough coil to spring him forward, should that need reach beyond its threshold. And yet, he stilled himself for her words.

“I’ve never been in one before, a herd.” Looks to unabashed, and again quieted. Not only for his thoughts, for they seemed to take time now and then to take voice. But because he wondered what sort of response he would invoke upon the mare. “But I’d like to find out.” His eyes sparked again and took another appearance. They embodied the boyish nature of a colt; an energy to explore and test all boundaries. Perhaps a large smile would complete this picture. But he lacked this component.

@[Essetia]

Essetia & Romul
It was certainly strange how many times Essetia had seen the very meadow before her and yet found new and enchanting things to admire each time she visited. The seasons were like a veil that draped themselves over the plains and provided a new palette of color and life… In fact, the seasons were all that painted the vibrant canvas that was Helovia, and they were all that parted the intangible realm between the mortals and the Gods.

With her gaze pressed into the snowy expanse of the barren pasture, the Sleuth nickered casually toward the wood at her back like an expectant mother. Its timbre was almost hindered by its own depth, but it had grown into a familiar appeal when recognized by ears that heard her thoughts, but were not her own. She knew that it would bring the young wolf to heel and once she’d received an almost internal response, Essetia settled again into conversation. “So it would seem,” she answered loosely while glancing back into the trees again. One creature without the other was vexing for either party and it was utterly apparent when at first Romul did not come to join the Sleuth and her painted company. “It’s peculiar really… to feel emotions that are not always your own,” Essetia admitted cautiously, “-but somehow comforting in the sense that you’re never truly alone.

Loneliness appeared to be a constant theme in the novel of Essetia’s life, but it was also something that had taught her to survive and that was enough, she presumed, to have faith in. As if those thoughts moved her to action, the Sleuth lumbered forward into the meadow while listening not only for Romul just behind, but Masanori as well. It was risky for her to lead him so far from the Threshold, lest he decline her offer to join them to the Dragon’s Throat, but again her confidence was shining, a bauble dipped in gold were it a treasure crafted by a talented mason. Her victory over Bucephalus had been short-lived and somehow unsatisfying, but it was victory nonetheless… and it made her impregnably arrogant.

However, her attention was quickly swayed by her invitee and the badger-faced mare turned once to study him as he spoke. Essetia enjoyed the way he observed things and, even more, the fluid way in which he expressed himself. Masanori was intelligent, that much was certain, and the new Sleuth had use for such intelligence… “You’d be surprised to learn that many fight for the wrong things, at least in my opinion,” she began haughtily, all the while remembering the invasion of the Falls. “But you don’t strike me as the type.” Essetia turned, a slight grin curving her lips as she spoke, and sighed.

Ulrik had tricked her, she could see that now, and then abandoned her just like the rest of them. It had been foolish of her to think that she could trust him or his ties to the Basin… It had been foolish of her indeed. Yet, thoughts of the Engineer were so far behind her now… even if they still lingered from time to time.

Memories of her capture though… they were all that kept her strong.

For a short time, both mare and stallion grew still from thought and perhaps a bit of admiration. The Thistle Meadow was a wondrous place, so large and inviting as it was, but it worried the Sleuth to no end that the Throat would entail a different reaction from Masanori. It was a place made up of the desert and its heat… It was a place always rumored to house the best of warriors, even if Essetia had yet to meet them herself. Was it in her best interest to warn the stallion of her secrets or was it best to keep them hidden not unlike her past?

There’s a first time for everything, yes?” Essetia questioned of the wanderer and his preference for solitude. However, there was something else just behind his tongue –was it release? Trust?- and when at last Masanori agreed to accompany her home, Essetia moved forth with more purpose than before. Romul had appeared at some time or another to trail the pair, but the Sleuth paid him no mind… Instead, she chuckled to herself while picking her way through the drifts of immaculate snow. “Good.

@[Masanori]
Image Credit