the Rift

Shifting [open]

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

The glisten of the snow in the light of the dying autumn sun is orange, like flames cast over the tundra. The icy landscape, with fresh blankets of snow as the season of Orangemoon winds to its close, looks afire. It is then, in that brilliant moment where quiet blue turns to orange and yellow, that a black stallion comes into view, seemingly out of nowhere. He steps forward, obsidian hooves crunching in the snow as delicate flakes stick to his feathers.

A strange unicorn, to be sure, with a horn like a white lightning bolt shooting from his skull, and white markings painting his black hide. The stallion moves with precision and purpose, walking across the Frostbreath Steppe quietly and alone. Where did he come from?

Perhaps, if any viewers were close enough, they would hear a comment almost bitter with sarcasm spill from his lips. "Honey, I'm home," before the syllables disappeared in a mist of warm vapor expelled from his lungs.

Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
A laugh, clouds steaming into the air from a pale muzzle and a small, black beak. The bundle of feathers perched between his ears, kept there by some ungodly balance it seemed to posses and enforce through its sharp talons and thickly padded feet. He preferred the mere weight of the feet to the grip of the talons. But, it was probably a good vantage, he had to cede her that. She saw what happened, more than if she sat on his withers. Someone had once told him that birds preferred high perches, and he guessed that the only thing higher than his poll was his ear, and it was far too flexible to sit on. Besides, his scalp was protected by a thick layer of mane, making less of her clinging attempts come through to his skin, whereas his ear... Well, it'd be a bloody ribbon by now.

She was young yet - very young. She slept most of the time, demanding food every so often. Quite often. She burrowed in his mane and pecked at him for attention, but how was it different from your child's curiosity, and desire to be at the center of your warm eyes all the time? Likely she was too young for this venture and the questions they posed, but it still felt right to take her out here, onto this vast expanse of snow, where the dying sun glittered like a fire in its own right, yet lacking the heat. He preferred it this way, cold and beautiful, more bronze than flaring golden. Mauja drew in a deep breath, chilly air soothing the feverish need in his lungs. Winter. It was coming, and it did nothing but fill his body with a soul-warming joy, something giddy and elated which seeped through his bones. It obliterated what other emotions might lurk in his system.

There was a reason he'd come out here. The day he'd stepped through the portal of light, tossed through the eye of time and back again, he had emerged upon the Frostbreath of another age. The steppe had looked much the same, cold and crisp and covered in snow, the horizons as he knew them - but a tree, an egg, and an owl had awaited him. Not once when he had traversed the landscape of snow, which was more often than he cared to admit, had he seen the tree, or any other tree. A few shrubs, but nothing at all like that thing... Which had been entirely out of place on the snowy landscape.

His gaze swept the horizon again.

Snapped to a dark figure.

Of course, it wasn't a tree, but something about the creature made him stop dead in his tracks, staring with wide eyes. It hadn't been there before - and it couldn't have just sprung into existence, could it? Maybe two hundred yards - or more - separated them, and Mauja's ears flickered back and forth uncertainly. He was fairly certain he'd never seen it before... but why did it feel like something about it crushed against his spirit? Why did he stop where he stood, as if afraid to move closer, afraid to - fool - upset the black stallion?
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Midas was flying high overhead, wings beat calmly and with careless motion. The air over this land was chilling, the wind biting against his autumn pelt—he just wasn’t a huge fan of the cold in general; seeing that the majority of his life had been spent in the desert. Fiery orange ignited the horizon with a final breath of warming light, nothing but a sliver remanded visible. Limbs followed motion of beating appendages; the golden brute quickened his beats with urgency to get home. Foggy breath circled above his head. Mane rippled with each cool kiss of wind.

He had just traveled to the shrine of his lord for worship and prayer, as he did every few weeks. Circling a large grey toned cloud; he angled down and cast a bored gaze across the tundra like landscape. Ice. Ice. Brownish shrub. Ice. Black. Wait. A striking figure caught attention, like a sore thumb the beast stood out from caking white permafrost. Midas knew of most creatures within this land, this one was unfamiliar. Trailing, orbs rose to further scan the area and locked onto another creature, Mauja, who appeared to watching the other.
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Bellatrix Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

A silver form slipped across the Steppe. The dappled mare had entered the area in a dead run, though her body was exhausted from the race. She had not managed to win, even when racing was the very purpose she'd been bred for. The anger and resentment that had been building since her traumatic entrance into this land was at it's peak. Her normally cautious gaze was almost devoid of emotion now. Cold traces of snow and soil flew up in her wake. The girl careened on, not paying any attention to the ivory blanketed expanse or what lay within it.

Ashen ears pricked above porcelain eyes at the sound of a voice in the distance. An ebony stallion loomed a few yards before her, dawning unique markings over his pelt. He was a Unicorn, only the second she'd ever seen. Yet, something was different about him. The lithe mare was able to slow herself to a walk, but something kept her moving closer to the stranger. Elaborate bursts of color painted the darkening sky as the normally wary maiden strode towards the black, some blind emotion pulling her in closer. Like a moth to a flame, she slipped closer until she was but a small reach from the stag. Her midnight locks fell as she bowed her head to the ethereal creature. She was at the mercy of the dark prince now. Sapphire pools did not see the other stallions, but only stared up into an obsidian face.

Helovian Ancient

"I am not going to bite you," the voice suddenly expels abruptly into the air, a boom of a voice, though the stallion did not appear to yell. He simply stopped walking, lifted his horned head and looks around with a dark face lined with white stripes, an strange, symmetrical mask. His obsidian eyes contrasting the stark white as he looked first toward Mauja, and then toward the sky where the pegasus watched silently. "You can either talk to me or quit staring."

It was then that the third body arrived, pristine and silver, tearing through the delicate snow of the Steppe. The stallion's ears slick back in mild irritation as she too comes to stand next to him, eyes wide and ogling his appearance like he was some sort of abnormal creature. Of course, aside from his strange, curved markings and jagged horn, he was a relatively normal stallion. Medium height, medium build, looking to be of middle age for a horse. Average. Yet, there were three buffoons staring at him like he was some alien specimen from another planet. With a frustrated snort, the stallion steps away from the mare who looks up at him with curious blue eyes before snapping forward.

Had you not been watching very carefully, you might have thought the stallion flashed forward a few steps. Shaking off that thought - it could not be so, right? No one can move that quickly.

Now standing in front of this mare a few paces, the stallion turns. Dual toned, short cropped mane wavering with motion but still standing straight as if held by static. "What, mare?" He asks flatly, dark eyes staring down at her own blue eyes. Helovia was not the same place he remembered, but things rarely stayed the same.

Ascended Helovian

The steady, sturdy sound of wings made Mauja's ears shift, flattening for a moment in remembrance of its noise in war, shadows across bloodied bodies, but then they left the safety of his mane. Coal tips stood towards the sky, but he found no desire to look at the vermin defiling the sky with its shape. He did not want to stop looking at the black enigma, for fear of it disappearing just as quickly as it had come. Between his ears, the owl was gripping his scalp tightly, talons sunk into the thin skin and piercing the flesh beneath. Despite the thin, slow trickle of red, he didn't seem to notice it.

"I am not going to bite you," the dark stranger said, a whipcrack, the roar of thunder. It shuddered through earth and flesh, a ghastly finger down Mauja's spine, yet it did not seem angry, or even a shout - just, loud. Embarrassed, Mauja ducked his head, rubbing his cheek against his knee for a moment, unaware of that he nearly pitched his companion into the slush if not for the sudden sharp stab of her digging deeper into his flesh. Apologizing in his head, the pale stallion swept his head up again. A flash of silver, something moving, streaked up beside them, careening straight for the black unicorn. For a moment, fear enveloped the glacial stallion, fear that this unknown mare would hurt the dark one - that she somehow sought his demise, or merely to pound his flesh into the ground. The breath caught in his throat and he started forward, a jerk of a step, before realizing how utterly foolish such a notion was.

"Forgive me my rudeness," he called across the snowy distance, shivering at the force he needed to expel it from his lungs in order to carry - how it was truly a shout, where this stranger had not shouted at all. Still feeling oddly shy, Mauja began to pad closer, even as the mare turned out to be exactly what logic proclaimed her: harmless. But she did seem to have a few marbles loose, staring at the stallion as if he was some kind of God. Snorting, blinking, he stopped again. What..? It was just like when he had suddenly just been there, now he was a few paces in front of where he'd stood last, yet acting as if nothing at all was wrong. Something in his stripes reminded him of Delinne, but the last time he saw her, she hadn't been..moving like that. Was it just natural grace, quick feet, or something else?

The air seemed to shimmer and spark with it, whatever it was, even if it was only crystals suspended in the air and lanced with the dying sunlight - figments of his imagination, a weary mind seeking salvation in the winter snows. Mauja began to move forward again, drawn towards this enigmatic stallion for better or for worse. "You merely took me by surprise," he said when close enough to speak at a conversational tone. There was something soft, mildly awed, on his face, like the midwinter snow seeing sunlight for the first time, feeling its prodding rays melt your flesh and re-shaping you with tender hands. Vaguely uncertain, his tail slapped against his hocks, a hollow, swishing sound on the tundra - not at all a part of the music of the world. He glanced at the hornless mare, before turning back to the Unicorn. "I am Mauja. Who may you be, sir?" It felt .. right .. to offer proper respect to this stranger, though why he was not sure. Maybe because he spoke like an earthquake and moved like a whirlwind - or was it merely a trick of the eye, something in his white patterns which made him sometimes ..invisible.. to the eye? Between his ears, the owl and its oddly blue eyes stared straight at the stallion.
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
He had already given thought to how the king of ice and snow might not take fancy to his presence. Considering previous conditions, it could be understood and even respected; but, even a green warrior knew that soldiers followed orders from the heart of their herds. So—even if he was met with despise, Midas held nothing Mauja or any other unicorn for that matter.

"I am not going to bite you," A thunderclap could describe the booming tone used in a slicing voice that trailed the hollowness of the landscape. Absent reasoning, his teeth ground together until jaws tensed painfully, gums began to hurt before he realized just how hard he had been biting down. Midas twisted into a high circle just as the ebony glass orbs chillingly looked his way. Muscles tensed, tawny pits locked gaze.

"You can either talk to me or quit staring."

‘A fair enough statement’, he thought with a snort. A moment was given to decide on continuing home, or staying. He wouldn’t get to think long before out of the corner of his eyes he saw something, senses called attention to another equine who had decided to enter the frozen plain. Usually, these grounds were empty of life. Today though—it seemed to be teeming with it.

Her body bore feminine curve and a coloring that suited a landscape such as this. She trailed at full speed for many long moments and directed attention toward their black stranger. The strange lass slowed to approach—she seemed overly fond of the coal colored stud, dipping skull to earth in a bow he personally saved for the lord of his soul.

Wings dipped down. ‘What was the harm in an evening conversation before heading home?’ He thought quietly. Midas landed gently, golden hooves crunching ice in acceptance of his weight. Mauja had already started approach by the time he had fallen to earth. Feathers shifted along his spine and folded themselves neatly against his heaving sides. Breath came in foggy drawls, still elevated from the effort of maneuvering the sky.

"I am Mauja. Who may you be, sir?"

He caught the tail end of the conversation, forelimbs rose to bring his form a little closer. Keeping up a calm atmosphere he added lightly with a forced smile curving black lips, “Apologies Sir, I don’t often see much company along the Steppe.”A sideways glance was given to Mauja and the other grey colored mare.

Unregistered

Azure orbs danced wildly on the black form. Almost entranced, it seemed, and with good reason. The darkened stallion moved, cutting through the air with an ethereal thrash. Was her mind playing tricks on her? Was this stranger manipulating her vision, creating some illusion? Whatever the case, the grey's body was too exhausted from her recent ordeals to be thinking clearly. She merely stood still as the brute addressed her in a cold voice.

"Who are you?" Innocent chords questioned. Not thinking before the words flowed out, she did not yet wonder if the buck would be annoyed. Her gaze seeped curiosity as it lingered on the charger. The voices of others rang out, their masculine tones breaking her focus. Very slowly, some sense of realization began to dawn on the chrome dove. She started to see that the black buck was not receiving her too hospitably. Beginning to eye the long, pale dagger on his brow, she stepped clumsily backwards. She wanted to feel angry at the beast, for speaking to her so sharply. After all, who was he to talk that way? But rage did not come to her, only a persistant, strange sense of wonder. Taking a deep breath, the ebon locked mare tried to regain her composure. She glance at the two other stallions who had spoken. One, Mauja, as he'd introduced himself, was a tall, spotted thing. He looked cold and uninviting in the girl's orbs, and she gave him a critical look before putting an extra step of distance between the King and herself. The other boy was a painted pegasus, much shorter and less imposing than the others. Maybe it was only the good impression she'd had from the other pegasi she'd met, but it was enough to make her sidle slightly closer to the patched flyer. The ashen doe looked like an unfortunate deer caught in the headlights.

Helovian Ancient

Withholding a laugh, the black stallion smirks at the mare who seems flustered by his harsh tone and quick movements. His eyes hold her tightly, like a vice-grip, as she looks up to him with a stupid question. His smirk rushes from his face, and then he speaks, his alluring voice thick with a sardonic tone. "Typically, only children are rude enough to demand identities without offering their own in return," the statement is flat, and his face turns, streaks of white and black, to see the white and speckled unicorn approaching.

A horn of ice, while his own is one of lightning. It makes the stallion smile inwardly, and the heat of the expression rests slightly in his eyes even if it falls short of his face by a mile. With a much more polite and dignant speech, the male begins. "'s alright," the stallion says lazily, letting the first word barely slide from his lips as an offhand acceptance of the apology. A slight chuckle escapes his mouth at the introduction and appropriate question slipping from his lips. Flatly, the strange marked stallion looks toward the mare. "Like that, you see. He proffers his name before requesting mine." A playful wink seems out of place and cold on his face, but it occurs regardless.

"I've been called by many names, but those closest to me refer to me as 'that ass'," an oddly serious expression takes hold of the bearded face as the black stallion speaks. "You can call me what you wish."

The bird lands upon the snow and crunches his way over to the gathering, and the stallion tilts a head to take in the painted figure. Odd golden markings appear on his face and paint his hooves, but the strange ivory markings and blue highlights appearing on his own body would likely make him a hypocrite if he became judgmental. "Such a pity that no one visits," the mystery guest says with a sigh. "I have always loved the snow. Such a static and beautiful world, don't you think?"

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks

Rishima</style>
the frenzied pace of the mind inside the cell.</style>

From high above, a gryphon cried.

Her figure was nearly invisible to the naked eye, a spiraling bird of prey with too long a tail far above equine crown. She adored the cold winter air, sending me flashes of her own adrenaline as she challenged the lack of oxygen and arctic winds, her thick frostfall coat the only defense she bore against the elements. I confess, it terrified me to no end, the way she would lift and dive as though gravity and death were mere playthings to her small yet regal mind. I took some tiny comfort in the fact that were her wings to give out, her fall would at least be softened by snow- small, meaningless comfort, coupled with weary resignation at the knowledge that I was doomed to never rescue my Kali from her reckless ways, abandoned to the ground as she took in the brilliance of the sky above, a shadow to her youthful splendor.

Such melodramatic thoughts I had been entertaining of late, ever since I withdrew back into my chasm of solitude. I could only handle an overload of fools and damsels for so long; and in the end, isn't that all there is in the world, knightly knaves and fluttering femmes? My hooves pressed into crunchy snow, golden contrast against their old blackened state. It is still so strange to me, the dusting of dusky, gold stars that climbs my legs and adorns my underside, the shimmering milky way that encroaches on my flanks. I suppose it sort of matches the crescent already on my rump, but damn it that isn't just what I wanted in life, another marking to make me stand out from the crowd. The hooves change their pace now, kicking snow rather than crushing it, a childish pout that permeates my entire body and brings my spirits down.

Perhaps I am indulging the melodrama. Just a little.

The urgent tug of Kali against my mind forces me to withdraw from my own broodings; she sends me excited thoughts of others, strangers, shiny. I cringe - Let's leave them alone, but she is adamant in her curiosity, and will not be stopped by the strength of my ideas. I can see the small party in the distance now, partially blurred by the fluttering snow and misty frost - in the haze I make out three, perhaps four, with some black and white stallion the center of their gathering. Kali cries again, her descent coming swift; through dark eyes I watch her land amongst them, cursing under my breath and begging her to be careful. She does not yet understand that she is a predator, and equines here will not always welcome her. But she is ignoring me, the little brat, and I pick up a loping canter, irritated at being drawn out of my solitude.

I focus on our bond, keeping tabs on my little gryphon even as I near the group. Kali's blue eyes had already scrutinized the collection from the air; from her perch on the ground she chirps a greeting to the snowy owl, an avian sound to what she believes must be some lost cousin on her raptor side (the poor little chick is not). It is as her attention shifts to the speaking unicorn that I finally catch the group, slowing down to a walk before striding into their midst. There were four, all unknown but Mauja the FrostKing, who I prayed had been too occupied with burning of his home when last we met to recognize me now. A pegasus, mildly familiar, seemed to be the only the only thing keeping a little grey equine from bolting away; poor girl, she looked positively terrified by the brusque unicorn. Who, while perhaps not the most striking stranger physically, at least seemed to have some grasp on what was going on, while the others floundered through pleasantries.

His words about the snow brought a faint smile to my face, a glint of mischief that had not touched my eye for what felt like weeks. "Static, or perhaps the more volatile then you'd like to think." Kali comes to wrap around my legs apologetically as I speak, purring deeply and clenching her wings to her sides for warmth. The snow buries her to her knees, and she finds it delightful, trying desperately to get a good bite out of the stuff. My words hang in the air like a cloud, an abrupt segue into a conversation not designed for me, a spectre suddenly apparated into their reverent circle; and I gaze languidly at the black unicorn with the electric horn, wondering how he will take my challenge, and finding myself actually excited for the answer.

image by tambako @ flickr.com</style>
Ascended Helovian

There were many magical inhabitants in the land of Helovia - what would make this stallion different from any of them? They all had their own repertoire of powers and tricks, illusions or real. Mauja himself had suffered at the power of someone who wielded fire, one which burned in your very skin, triggering every shade of pain your nerves knew how to convey, and yet it left no lingering damage except a memory which you'd rather forget than remember. To simply appear was no great feat in comparison to some of the things he had seen or heard of. Either the stallion could actually teleport, which was quite fascinating, or he somehow bent the rays of light around him to mask his movements, or enhance his nerves to move faster. Nothing of this set him apart from others, and unlike the tribrid Gods, he seemed nothing but a unicorn - black, white-marked, normal. So what about him was it that made the breath catch in Mauja's throat, that made him wary, even eager to please? He gave his head a tiny shake, called himself a fool, and decided to get over it. He'd probably be annoyed too, if he went for a stroll somewhere, and was suddenly mobbed by curious, staring individuals. Who wouldn't? Feeling even greater a fool than the obviously bothered mare, Mauja cocked one hip and rested a hind hoof on its tip.

He gave nothing away, though, of this shift of mind. Just graced the company with one of his slight smiles at the stallion's easy response. Good thing that he wasn't throwing fits about his crowd of fans, though Mauja was slipping back into the comfortable role of himself, and not some coltish gawker surprised by a fancy trick. Not that this decision left the black stallion any less worthy in the King's eyes, but it definitely made him feel more at ease. Surely this dark stranger had his own secrets, reasons for acting like he did and being who he was.

A low chuckle escaped Mauja. "That's a twisted way of both returning the courtesy and not returning it," he said with a wry, lopsided grin. "And as I am not close to you, except in the physical sense, I find myself with a nearly unlimited amount of choices of nicknames." He arched a brow coolly, not exactly smug with his own little trick but amused by it in the detached way he often was. "So what would you say about Asni, hm?"

Talk turned to snow, and his thoughts skipped into the past - not just to the past in which this Steppe had had a tree and an owl, but to the past in this time - his time. To a certain white, red-fringed unicorn, to whom the Ice King had confessed a bit of lunacy regarding winter. Finding Midas' statement entirely unfair, as he himself had come here quite often, he gave a low snort. Between his ears, the owl stared with unblinking eyes at the new winged creature in the sky. "Or we just take different paths, Pegasus." Despite the way his mind snarled out the race, his voice was neutral, lips showing perhaps the faintest hint of a wry quirk - outwardly amusement, where irritation reigned within. His attention slipped back to the dark stranger, even though his ears flickered back to take in the sound of an approach. Snow... The easy way in which this stranger dealt with a sudden crowd, his fondness for snow, the cool, controlled language his body spoke - it felt familiar, somewhat like a mirror of his own self. Perhaps they were not so different, after all.

Of course, the mouthy mare had to ruin it all.

Finally, he swung his head around to acknowledge her presence, easily recognizing her as one of Mirage's loyal followers. Not only had she come to the Edge and shouted things she were entirely unentitled to shout when not being part of the family whose home was being wrecked, but she'd also come with the dragon-mare and her dragonhorse-pet to try and wrench that very home from his grasp. Someone had made short work of her, though, but for the moment, showing her her place again felt.. less important. Too many onlookers. Too many questions. Mauja was tired of being nice, but he had to pick his fights carefully. The rest of Helovia stood united against him, and strong as he and his kin were, that was a dangerous foe to play with. But her words, her gryphon (it was hard to fight the urge to step on it or place little crystals of ice in its veins), made him want to eat her alive. The look of neutrality hardened into something unforgiving, unyielding, a single, resolute word slipping off his tongue: "No." A flash of dark ice in his gaze as he looked upon her, his very being speaking the statement hidden in his word: you are wrong.

No reasoning could tell him why he had reacted as such, why he had so quickly, firmly corrected her - just the deeply rooted knowledge, instinct, that in this thing, she was so very wrong. Keeping his tense jaws shut, he offered no further explanation.

If she did not know snow, then she would never understand if all he had to offer her was words.
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
"I have always loved the snow. Such a static and beautiful world, don't you think?"

This land, and all its wild beauty, would never be fully understood by this warm natured soul. He didn’t lay mock claim to even begin to understand it. Just as a desert cactus thought nothing of living within the tundra, he too, gave little thought to lingering among a territory of crystal without reason. The silver mare took a step nearer to his frame; she appeared intimidated by all this. Skull shifted to glance at her, the honeyed pits of his eyes softening for a split moment.

His kind nature came forth at a downfall, even though the moment didn’t last for more than a second; attention turned back and with careful words he responded thoughtfully, “I admire the strength of this terrain, and the mysterious alluring attraction it holds.”

Their mysterious company had revealed nothing of name or any other hint upon the workings of the inner mind. Midas expected nothing less and merely offered a continuing forced smile of pleasantry as the nameless one referred to a rather stand out nickname that his companions used for title. Mauja articulated in a flat response to Midas’s choice words of entrance, "Or we just take different paths, Pegasus." Responsive senses flicked back a notch, gaze shifting to catch the king within his sight, “Yes,” he uttered softly in agreement, they did indeed, take different paths.

Bannered ivory flicked against his right haunch, a chilling wind bite paths along his uncovered spine. Wings tightened their point across his sides in an attempt to keep body heat from escaping. It was nearly dark now, the sun was completely gone. All that remained was a lingering golden flame of vibrant coloring; but, it too was slowly fading from sight. Shiny hooves remained mostly hidden in the snow; the wet cold was making his ankles tingle.

It seems they were all falling prey to this gathering of random souls. Like sheep to a shepherd, equine were coming out of the wood work; flocking to this area. The soft sound of wings tickled the hair along his ears, one swiveled back with gaze following just in time to see a griffon land near Mauja’s side. Brows narrowed together, its owner lay not far behind.

Crushed snow offered his senses direction of her approach without turning to see until she was fully with them, a fresh comment enticing response. He recognized the dark mare from their recent battle, though couldn’t place a name.

Unregistered

Typically, only children are rude enough to demand identities without offering their own in return.
Anger started to make it's way back into her, finally. Yes, she was still somewhat wary of the strange stallion. But where did he get off talking to her as though she were some disobedient child? What did he know of what she'd been through? Wasn't the sweat and dirt lacing her coat and the shadow of ribs along her barrel enough to show that she was no foal; not in mind or spirit? "I see no reason to give my name out to someone so pompous." She spoke in her lilting voice, it's new-found vigor making itself apparent. Being independent was new for her, but speaking to someone so confidently was even more foreign. Yet she did it well, as if it had been something lying dormant within her for a long time.

I've been called by many names, but those closest to me refer to me as 'that ass
"That sounds quite fitting." Sharp tones rang out again, though there was no masking the femininity in her voice. It wasn't easy to speak so coldly, but he deserved it. The dappled mare's stance raised, her marked crown rising higher. Her gaze drifted around the other three more comfortably now, determined not to be put off by any of them. She was stronger now, since the loss of her humans, and she held on to that knowledge. She gave a smile only to the painted Pegasus, for he looked at her without the arrogance of the Unicorn. He was certainly the most likable one in the group. Though Bellatrix's composure had returned, she still had to fight jumping at the sight of the pale, bird-like creature that landed beside their small group. Whatever it was, it's owner seemed to be right alongside it; a tall, dark equine mare, who didn't seem to lack bravery. Though there certainly was a fine line between courage and stupidity. Blue orbs could only watch as the new mistress spoke her blatant disagreement. Another smile played on Bellatrix's mottled lips. It was good to see someone else giving the haughty brute a hard time.

Helovian Ancient

"And I see no reason to be modest when I am obviously a fantastic creature," the stallion says with a laugh at the attempted jab at his ego. A whip of his tail seems to tingle with a surge of electric static, but it disappears instantly. Excitement was building in the stallion's blood, that was certain. It sent a tingle from the tips of his short cropped mane down his spine, making his legs begin to move with anticipation for a few short clipped motions before stilling again.

The unicorn stallion, proud, seems to shake off whatever jitters he had upon the black stallion's arrival, and takes a composure that is most fitting for his icy appearance. Black eyes trace up from his face and toward the small owl at his head before looking back. "Asni is fine, of course," the baritone voice says with much lavishing charm, a smile tugging at the corners of charcoal lips. Speaking up once more, the mare tries for another cutting blow of words.

"If you don't like my attitude, princess, you can leave at any time." A flash of a wink makes one black eye disappear under a curtain of ivory for a brief moment before the expression turns back into one of cold solidity.

The pegasus was thoughtful, admiring the great icy expanse at their feet, even as the sun made its way toward the horizon. However, this sunset, this burning, dying light, was unusually stretched during this conversation, or at least that is how it felt. Just how long did it take for the sun to sink beyond the horizon? How long would this icy world be trapped in an orange glow?

"Ah, yes, the allure of the shining white," the words fall out with a graceful flick of a feathered hoof, dislodging powdery snow and having it dance a few inches from the surface, illuminated in the dying light. Everything was purposeful, or at least it seemed so. The emphasis on the snow, its beauty. Yet, his speech mildly interrupted by the landing of a griffon. Dully, the black stallion peers downward, toward the white body of fur and feathers. Not surprisingly, a mare follows close in suit, and the unicorn glances up from the griffon to look at its master, wholly unphased.

Even the words which spill from her mouth do not do much to change the expression on his face, but they seem to upset the tower of snow and ice that is Mauja. The flat, abrupt 'no' said more than enough about his attitude toward this mare, and a faint glimmer of mischief crawls out of the eyes of the black and white stallion. This would be fun.

Yet, before he could toy with this new dynamic, there was something he had to set right. Speaking very evenly, without any note of emotion to be traced in his solid voice, in response to her stain upon the lands of the Steppe. There is a sudden wall between this strange stallion and his audience. "Volatile? This kingdom of ice and snow? I know this land better than you ever could, girl. This place is the most constant of any in Helovia, that I will assure you." A piercing dark gaze sets in before his demeanor breaks, shifts, like a switch flicking back on after the toil of seriousness.

He had not intended to give a history lesson.

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks

Rishima</style>
the frenzied pace of the mind inside the cell.</style>

The way they leap to their own defense, the abrupt anger at my suggestion and refusal to even consider it - it amuses me, and at the same time I want to strangle them both. There is no sign, of course, except for the low growl Kali emits from near my hooves. I watch the stallions through bland black eyes and suppress my desire to laugh. Hush, Kali, I cautioned in silence, although her defensive mood only seemed to heighten my own dry mirth. The inability of stallions to even consider the weight of the words offered to them by strangers, the possibility of some flaw to their logic... well, who doesn't find that entertaining?

And it seemed Mauja remembered me, if his great hostility was anything to go by. Alas, that in such little time I had managed to gain infamy within Helovia. I took no pleasure in the recognition - anonymity was not something I felt any happiness at relinquishing. At least Mauja seemed the only one to know or care who I was. The other two, equine and pegasus, remained mute as I spoke, offering neither agreement or disagreement, only increasing my irritation at the very fact that I stood here. And the last, the unicorn with the jagged horn? It was an interesting change that came over him as he responded, a sudden and abrupt separation of he and us that nearly caused me to recoil in surprise. When had he developed such presence, and is this what caused the others to gather so? Who was this black and white stranger - and what?

It took seconds for me to grapple with my curiosity and return to the pressing issue of whether or not I really wanted to argue my point. They had done nothing to convince me, simply stated comments on my inaccuracy, stomped on the suggestion I placed and denied any truth to my words. I kept my gaze on his as he stared me down, matching dark eyes with dark eyes, and for the first time in a long time I felt intimidated.

Odd.

"And yet isn't snow and ice always new, melting into the ground as fresh flakes cover it from above? Time changes it enormously. I would call that volatile, or at least a volatile aspect to what is otherwise a constant tundra." Foolish girl, learn to keep your mouth shut. I let my gaze drift from Mauja, who Kali stood glaring at from the cold ground, to the pegasus and equine, and back to the strange unicorn who caused all that fuss. There is no anger in my voice, simply open curiosity, the slightest hint of a challenge; I will not stoop to their games.

You already have.

image by tambako @ flickr.com</style>
Ascended Helovian

The gray mare honestly had a problem or two to sort out with her own attitude. Mauja's ears flipped back against his neck, a lazy show of displeasure; it wasn't annoying enough that he'd push them flat as if his life depended on it, but someone had to teach her manners. Besides, the mysterious stallion had it right: if she didn't like him, she didn't have to stick around, but she snuggled up to the Pegasus like a leech. He doubted they'd get rid of her anytime soon, and as her sharp reply to his name - or lack thereof - rang out, Mauja turned his eyes upon her, glaring. "And his lack of manners somehow justify your own? Please, stop being such a hypocrite." Besides, she was the one who had started it, running up to him and mooning at him like a lovestruck filly. That he didn't want anyone shoving their face into his and staring as if he was some god, well, that was understandable. Mauja didn't like having strangers in his face either, and that she'd gotten bitchy when Asni had tried to educate her a little about manners didn't exactly raise his opinion of her. Sure, nobody was perfect, but at least Asni was disrespectful in a respectful way.

Both the pegasus and the annoying mare grew quiet when Rishima approached and challenged them all, leaving the three to deal the first blows. Asni remained on his side - not surprising, he felt like someone who would not allow his words to be challenged by anyone - delivering words that traced a chilly finger down Mauja's spine. The most constant... He'd come here looking for a tree, a twisted, stunted, gnarled thing, something of the past - he could not remember ever seeing trees on the Steppe, though. The horizons had been the same, the tundra the same, but the tree was no more. "The trees are gone," he said, a statement quite out of the blue under the circumstances - as if he'd just woken from a daydream full of trees. Briefly, he looked at Asni, trying to see if he'd know. He proclaimed to know the Steppe intimately, so perhaps he'd know of its past - how long ago trees had stood upon it. Or, well, one tree. And then, he could not fight the overwhelming urge to correct Rishima anymore. "Snow doesn't melt when new snow covers it," he said, something vaguely irritated in his voice, compared to its previous neutrality. "It just piles up, higher and higher. If it ever melts, its from the top down, where the sun hits it. I doubt this ground has thawed at all for many years." He shook his head, white mane flying. "Even blizzards are static. Snow does not change."

And that is why I never change.
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
For as long as he could remember, in his whole four years of existence. The Steppe had always been covered in layers of ice and snow. Sickly grey bushes grew from a deprived ground; no higher callings could sprout within this land of stern rulings. It was simply too cold for most creatures and plants to take root; but, what did sprout had a hidden beauty he was only just beginning to realize.

The group voiced two options. He sighted softly, his breath creating a frozen mist. The mares seemed intent upon turning quiet conversation in another direction. Neither option he disagreed nor agreed with; mostly because this territory was not his expertise.

The strangely painted creature spoke again, tone demanding attention and silence. Respectfully gaze trailed up with senses perked toward listening. Mauja inserted his feelings on the matter, and Midas remained quiet until he had finished before speaking up curiously, “Helovia is home to many, are you a mortal son of hers?”

The stranger seemed familiar with their land, but it was hard to tell if this territory had birthed him into existence; or by chance their unnamed acquaintance had been hailed from somewhere else. Either way, his question might shed some light upon a mysterious aura that was being steadily maintained.

Unregistered

The white Unicorn brute was quick to speak up in the other horned's defense. It was then that she began to think that all Unicorn's might be inherently arrogant. What else was she to think? It was quite a coincidence to come into a random group of species, only to find the same types with matching attitudes. After the series of trying experiences she had, it was easy to find dislike with both the horned ones. "Is it really hypocritical to point out the obvious?" The dame spoke, the same cool smile on her maw. Galloping up to the oddly marked Unicorn wasn't the most polite of acts, but it certainly wasn't outrageously rude. Besides, if anyone had even bothered to look at her at all closely, they would have noticed her obviously poor weight and tattered pelt. The ribs poking from beneath the dapples and the hollow areas around her crystalline eyes were clear indicators of poor health.

For the same reason she'd been drawn to him, it seemed, this Mauja was enthralled enough to kiss up to him like some glorious God. Even the Pegasus seemed to still be under the dark one's spell, his words lacking little fervor, only blind agreement. She had come free of the odd sense of wonder that had overtaken her before, and it looked like the other mare was undaunted by any of the group as well. One charcoal hoof cocked lazily as Bellatrix mused, the rest of her feet rooted neatly in place. She would stand here and watch the turnings of this event, even if there was no point in speaking to the two block-headed boys before her.

God of the Spark Posts: 111
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 15.3hh :: Ageless
Admin

"
The spotted stallion was right. Even with the long summer that had called him back from the timeline, the Frostbreath Steppe had not changed. His immortal identity remained a mystery, though a small smirk moved his maw as the painted one seemed to catch on rather quickly to his differences. "Define mortal." He replied those words simply, blue eyes gazing into gold.

Mortality was an interesting concept. Mortality and divinity were oddly linked and distinctly not in a challenging way. Perhaps they would know he was immortal, but without the obvious wings, flash and metallic sheen of his brethren, his divinity was rather obscure.

The malnourished grey was too sensitive, and he snorted. "Yes, when you are making an observation that you are not willing to obey," he replied pointedly before taking a closer glance at the spotted stallion and the black, moon mare. "A hatred is brooding here, and I am in need of a good story," he commented. "What has you two at odds?"