the Rift

Bring me to Life [Invasion - ROUND FIVE]

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official
ROUND FIVE
Qian v. World's Edge Herd

In this round, there will be CLOSING DEFENSES ONLY. There should be no new attacks.
This round lasts for 72 hours, the late penalty for official challenges is suspended. Failure to post during this round will result in your character being "knocked out", and unable to finish the rest of the invasion.
There is no posting order. If you are interacting wit someone, be sure to BOLD AND CAPS their name so that they can easily see you are addressing them. Before you post, be sure to refresh the thread and check to assure there have been no posts added since you started writing. It would be wise to advise the cbox that you are in the process of writing your reply. You are not allowed to edit your posts for the sanctity of fairness - We will know if you edit your posts, and you will be penalized. If you need to edit your post, please contact an administrator to have it done for you.
Due to some confusion as to word counters, the Admins recommend Word Count Tool. Please use this to ensure you are under the 800 word limit.

ULRIK HAS BEEN KNOCKED OUT BY MIRAGE. - round two
RISHISMA HAS BEEN KNOCKED OUT by LENA. - round three
RICCIARDO HAS BEEN KNOCKED OUT by MAD MASK. - round three
ARABELLA HAS BEEN KNOCKED OUT by ARCHIBALD - round four
ARCHIBALD HAS BEEN KNOCKED OUT by MONSTER - round four
TORASIN HAS BEEN KNOCKED OUT by ALAN and AURELIUS - round four

Lucius Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
It happened so fast, yet he saw it in slow-motion…

His words had all but died out when a spark ignited before his eyes. At first he thought it to be a stray ray from the sleepy sun which had almost disappeared behind the trees. But then the spark grew into lapping flames and through the flickering veil of orange and yellow he saw a smirk on the young draft’s face. Magic!

”Why you little-“ The pain set in and his voice became a wordless roar. His leg muscles froze and snapped his eyes shut. The sensation was terrifying, excruciating and it drove him right out of his mind. His whole world was pain, white hot, burning pain. He could hear his hair and horns melt, he could see the flickering light before his closed, running eyes, smell the burning flesh and feel the fiery tongues lick his obsidian body. Like a flaming statue he stood there, paralyzed by fear and pain. This is hell… And the draft’s magic; it is sick!

”You fucking sadist!” he roared as his muscles loosened and he threw himself on the ground. ”I will find you! You hear me?! I will find you and make you pay for this!” Lucius needed to see a future, needed to tell himself that he could find and destroy the pyromaniac. He rolled around on the damp, muddy ground, but it had no affect on the fire. He was still burning and the pain was as real as ever. The bull kept kicking his feet, rolling from side to side, pawing, twisting, crawling all the while screaming in pain and agony. He felt his tongue burn and the inside of his mouth dry out and soon he couldn’t even scream.

Kill me, kill me now!

His eyes and nose was running, tears streaked his cheeks without vaporizing but Lucius didn’t think about that. He had no idea that this magic was only an illusion for the pain was too real and it clouded his mind. The World’s Edge Conscript, the proud bull of Helovia, let his tears run freely now that he couldn’t voice his agony anymore. He was convinced that he would die, that Lloyd would have to find his burnt carcass after the battle had ended. He was sure he’d let down his King and herdland, confident that they wouldn’t even mourn him because of the small contribute he’d made to this battle.

I am a failure…

The big stallion was too tired from the fighting and the pain to keep on kicking and rolling. He fell to the side and stopped moving.

…why am I still alive…?

Slowly the pain was subsiding and the Bull dared to open his eyes. The sensation of his throat being completely dried out had gone and surprisingly he found his skin and hair intact. An illusion. That bastard! With some effort the black stallion got up on all four. Around him the battle was dying down and he could not have forced his sore body to engage in fighting again even if the need had been there. His yellow eyes tiredly sought for his brother’s black body. Please let him still be standing.

537 words

Alan Posts: 28
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 10
Adoptable
Torasin should be knocked out, too. <3 By.. idk, Aury and Alan? xD

Pandemonium. Mayhem. Bedlam. Things her chaotic soul thrived upon, yet never tried to make sense of. Why think, when bodies were closing in? Why analyze, when the simple, pure movement was so sweet, so terrifying in its painful intensity? She would not escape that time either, pulling back when KIARA danced in closer. Alan valued her fetlocks quite highly and had no intention of letting anyone harm them, especially not a hornless bitch. So she sidestepped away, the lack of Torasin giving her her left side free, and shoved her head in the bitch's direction to keep her from getting too close, to keep the entire stretch of her long neck between her assailant and her feet. The result was that Kiara's teeth chomped down on her neck, mostly just a mouthful of mane but it pinched the brown skin beneath, just behind her poll. She hissed, pain blossoming, but she could hardly complain - after all, she'd willingly stuck it in the bitch's mouth. At least her feet were safe.

Hooves upon a body, her farewell kiss landing upon another, but what did it matter? It struck flesh. The copper scent of blood in her nostrils, the roan yielding to her shove, peaches-and-cream nowhere to be seen: fog, her beloved forest, stretched out in front of her. Freedom.

She didn't want to stop fighting, not really, just wanted to get away from the idiots pushing her to and fro, take a moment to survey what went on - a moment to breathe, free from their sickening stench, before plunging back into the swirl of chaos. Heart hammering, skin and muscles itching, groaning, but no blood of her own shed, Alan took what was offered ahead: the wide open world. Kiara was rising up on her haunches, Alan ducked left, narrowly avoiding a collision with KORRA, and intended to break into a sprint. MASKAN's teeth grabbed her left thigh, pinching the skin, his stubborn grip and her own surge for freedom ripping it - a tear, someone carving a line of fire, blood trickling up from the shallow wound as she left a piece of herself behind, a small flap of dark, wet skin in Maskan's mouth. The edge of the pain drowned in the deep throb from an earlier kick, her mind spinning into the blanketing fog, numbing; hooves - KIARA's - raked down her right side, forcing a grunt from her as they traced the contour of her already sore barrel. She'd not be forgetting these bitches and bastard anytime soon, no.

Barely had she moved past the roan bitch and her valiant protectors that it began to rain Pegasi.

It came, quite naturally, from above. And somewhat from behind, like everything seemed to do these days. A flash of movement in the corner of her eye, a head thrown high, white-rimmed eye glaring to take in the sight of a chocolate mare, seemingly quite unsteady, falling towards her. What. The. Fuck.

She was coming too fast, there wasn't much to do, except reduce what she could of the damage. Like some sort of joke of a unicorn she skittered sideways, bouncing in a series of jerking steps to the right, before KRI slammed into her. Teeth got lost in the mess of her black mane, snagging painfully on the long, thick hair, hooves raking down her - her vision became a blur of feathers and fog, and Kri an artist tracing patterns of fire down Alan's legs. Her hind hooves clipped the unicorn's left haunch, narrowly missing the bleeding wound, before thudding into the safety of the soil, but her fore ones raked down Alan's forearm. Only some fetlock-obsessed madness made her curl her leg up under her, bearing her weight on the right one instead, but what does that matter when a Pegasus is falling on you? A shoulder, a wing, they knocked against her, and with a strangled 'fuck' spat in it's direction she lost her balance and went down on her knees. Only some miracle saved her from getting the rest of the mare on her head, or some god of fate who decided Alan's meager intellect not worthy of crushing. Cruelly churned moss and mud absorbed the impact of her knees, and without thinking about what she was doing, Alan thrust herself forward, still grounded hind hooves pushing off and, stumbling, she came a few steps free of Kri - alive, mostly whole, but most importantly, standing.

"Bitch," she muttered darkly after a moment.

[ 751 ]
it's raining Kri, hallelujah, it's raining Kri ~
( skitters sideways to avoid having KIARA on her feet, gets bitten on the poll instead. MASKAN gets a small piece of her thigh, KIARA rakes down her right side, and she skitters sideways again to avoid the brunt of KRI. her teeth get lost in Alan's mane, hind hooves clipping her haunches and then yea idk as Alan is being a dork on one front leg she manages to knock her to her knees before Alan stumbles away and complains. :D )

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
The world was ending.

Everything seemed to slow down, every breath that was taken, every droplet of sweat the cascaded down her side, every rivulet of blood that flowed over the cusp of her wounds seemed to be brought into sharp focus. Her heartbeat raced, thundering along inside her chest, sounding similar to the heavy hoofbeats one might when sitting alongside a busy racetrack. Blood pumped swiftly, achingly, through her entire body, the bruises upon her side and swelling joints down her leg throbbed incessantly. She was faring better than some, worse than others - for half a second, while she fled the intimate nearness of CINEVIAM, she allowed her golden sights to roam over the battleground. She saw a handful of unconscious souls, recognising her own sister and her beloved friend amongst those who had fallen. Dismay and hurt rolled about within her, a sense of hopelessness - she was fighting so that they could survive, not so that they could die!

What was the point of all the fighting if they died before being granted the right to call this realm home? What was the point in exiling an entire herd, when the foundations of their beliefs were acceptance and understanding? Were they as barbaric as the causes they fought against? The mare struggled for the collection of moments that passed as her gaze scoured the vicinity, and in those moments it was as if she were a matador bating her bull, with CINEVIAM being scorched and soon chasing her down. It took an alarmed thought from Akaith to rouse her in time. Just as swiftly as the thoughts ran into her, she threw them away for later consideration - she had an angry bull in her tail, and her distraction had allowed him to gain on her. Only, now he was the matador with the spear aimed at her heart, and she the terrified creature running from his grasp. Heat was felt, but the mare was not afraid of heat not, not with herself being dragon-marked, dragon-bonded, dragon-mated and a dragon herself - heat and fire was a part of her as much as all those bonds, she respected heat, she knew how to get out of its way - she also knew the excruciating pain it could cause if given the chance to cling to hair and flesh - memories of when the Sun God rampaged through these very woods brought old stings back to her forelegs. She did not linger long enough near her mate to experience it again, and was grateful for his careful aim that allowed her to evade it all the easier.

He was running at her, fast. Under normal circumstances, in a race, she held no doubts that her athletic, fit build would outdistance his, that her agile and lean figurine could easily dance ahead of him, away from him. But these were not normal circumstances. She was injured, her ribs ached so much so that sharp pains cramped her sides now whenever she tried to breath. She was deteriorating, every stride brought pains from her ribs, from her left leg, her chest, even her right shoulder ached with pain radiating from her ribs and the harsh contact it had just dealt CINEVIAM before she moved out of his reach. A sharp squawk from Akaith alerted her to his approach, but there was little she could do about it, aside from throw in a random sidestep to lessen his accuracy. A large gash appeared, hot and violent down her left shoulder, from his initial slash. Another warning from above by Akaith, Mirage pushed onwards, breathing hard, raggedly, blindly, avoiding as much of his violent charge as she could - she shut out all else bar escaping him, she pushed through the threshold of pain and forced her weight upon her tattered, exhausted limbs. With Akaith supporting her fragile, battered soul, she earned just another glancing gash from him, further down the left side of her barrel, upon the area of the 7th rib, angled haphazardly across to the 8th rib in an uneven, messy laceration.

Without being completely aware of her footsteps, her body brings her to the side of her mate's, it must have been Akaith guiding her, for she does not see him until she is beside him, pressed up against his large, heated form. For a moment, she was a child, seeking shelter beneath his wings, allowing her blood and his blood to smear against each others coats. She is standing, and finally her senses return, and the pain returns, and almost, almost, she is not standing from the shock that rolls through her. But Mirage is there, she is conscious, and she is awaiting the outcome of this battle.

[792 words.

Receives 2 more gashes from CINEVIAM's horn before Akaith guides her to Vikram's side on the battlefield. ]

Tares Posts: 74
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3 hh :: 38 months
Alex
Perhaps I have gone too far. The force drives me to hit home, and flesh breaks as my horn neatly slices the flesh of a tyrant. But there is a sudden spray of blood and heat, a staining of my own flesh as it twitches in violent protest, that puts me off guard. Blood leaves me and a wound fails to close. What strength it took to take me to his side is gone now, what kept me upright has disappeared. I slide past the writhing form of the enemy, my enemy, and falter as I stop short.

LEANDER is before me, bleeding, suffering. His ails extend to a word, one word that I hear among all the chaos of the fray, one word that I realize is a name. Why is he calling to her? The mare that tore at me so viciously, that runs for him now with teeth bared and a hope to injure? It is not why I called to DESCARO- his tone carries no rage.

I realize suddenly that this battle carries more nuances than I understand. There is too much about the art of war I will never comprehend- too much I desire to leave be. Why have I chosen to study this life, this unending cycle of misery and hurt? Surely there are other disciplines; why did I ever think that I could carry out this role as a protector.

Why did I ever think that I could save a life?

The thought hits me, and moments later I am struck down. I had seen his rear at the last instant, but only moved far enough to avoid the fatal blow to she spine or jugular. My own defense had done nothing- I had tried to rear, tried to get out of the way, but it had been useless. Blood loss and exhaustion left me open to any attack, even the most unexpected.

Once more my body hits the earth, this time crumpling uselessly as my confidence and strength leaves me for good. His rear, weak as it was, feels fresh and powerful against my vulnerable body. The blood that had poured from my stifle pales in comparison to that which now flows from my side. My flank swells with pain and breathing is suddenly a struggle. Flesh hangs off to reveal a bloody mess, and faintly visible in the wound is a streak of white; fractured and split, the careful eye can notice my rib poking through frayed muscle.

I cannot stand. The pain is too much to lift myself and the fire I once had for this has parted. My wings turn to ash and I look upon the scene with yellow eyes streaming with tears I cannot contain.

Why did I go back to this? What had compelled me to strike down this killer, to fight him on his own turf where he knew the score? I cannot maintain this mirage of my own strength. I was not made for war- to think I was has cost me greatly.

I wonder if I'll ever fight again.

[[WC: 516 || M/CU: 2/2 || SUM: She rears to try and get away from Descaro's attack, but is not fast enough or strong enough to avoid it, she only changes where it hits. She is struck with his full force on her right side. One of her ribs breaks and tears through skin.]]

Psyche the DarkEmpress Posts: 380
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 8 (ages in Orangemoon) Buff: ENDURE
RayoDeSoleil
You can sleep with a gun but
When you gonna wake up and fight?

Just as the rage of battle overwhelms, so too does it fade.

The pain was returning in the aftermath of her wave of fury. Her kick had struck NED, squarely, though not where she had intended, and she had left him behind; now, with a moment to breath, she took stock of her own injuries. The chunk of flesh missing at the base of her neck throbbed with each step she took; the gash along her side, deeper than she’d first noted, gushed rather profusely. And her right shoulder - perhaps she had misjudged the bastard’s kick, for it to be aching like this, an ache that went down to the bone. It seemed to strain with each new hoofbeat, threatening to leave her incapacitated. This would not do.

And then her moment was over. The shadow-mare was set upon by two this time. NED had found his strength and was rapidly approaching her, slightly to the left; PALADIN, curse him, approached from her right. If she had believed in karma, she would have cursed herself for having followed Giselle’s orders earlier; but as it were, she simply didn’t have time to think at all.

NED had been closer, and so he was her first worry. A quick step to the right saved her left hind from being impaled on his horn, but did not save her already-wounded side from more wear. The wound deepened under his horn, and the shadow-mare screamed with pain and anger alike, intertwined, giving rise to the wailing, screeching sort of sound that lingers, even on a battlefield. Later, she would find that NED had cut to the bone. Gaping, red flesh framed the flash of white each time her muscles bunched and released; in retaliation, she attempted a kick, knowing that it was too late to even come close, not surprised when she missed entirely.

And then there was PALADIN still to deal with. Boxed in now, Psyche slammed her forelegs into the dirt, halting all forward momentum as her haunches kissed the cold ground; a spin to her left placed her body behind NED’s now as she kicked into stride once more, hoping to escape PALADIN’s searching teeth. She succeeded; his bite missed her spine by a hair, and her turn caused his foreleg to miss its original target. But still he hit, opening a new gash on her right hindquarter. A curse left her maw even as she darted away from the stallion, planning a new strategy as she ran.

She was not a runner. She was not weak. But in this battle, she must recuperate and devise a new plan that would allow her to survive. The shadow-mare had heard the slightest of cracks in her shoulder when she had stopped so suddenly. Now she limped, struggling to put distance between herself and her brother. The femme turned her head to glare at PALADIN, the hatred plain in her amber gaze. I will kill you, my brother. If it’s the last thing I ever do.

[W/C 474
Psyche dodges to the right to avoid NED, but not quickly enough, for he strikes her already deep side wound, exposing bone. She stops and spins on her hindquarters to get away, trying to avoid PALADIN, who scores a gash on her right hindquarter.]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

Psyche

Ned Posts: N/A
Unregistered

The mare moved to the side so his horn would not be driven into the back of her thigh, but he would not let his attack be a complete waste. Rather than turn he angled his head toward her, the tip of it striking true and deepening the wound he had inflicted on her when the fight had begin. He felt every bump as his horn glided over her ribs and he knew immediately from the feeling that he had lade her bones bare to the elements. He kept moving when PSYCHE suddenly stopped and whirled to run the other way.

There was no remorse in his eyes as he circled around and watched the mare as she now tried to escape from PALADIN who was able to cut her right hindquarter. Slowly, the small stallion slowed until he was eventually standing still and watched as the mare limped away. His gaze then swept across the battlefield as he surveyed the injured and incapacitated. His tail twitched and his ears laid back against his head as he trotted toward Paladin, his new General and silently waited for a command from him.

[Word Count: 191]

NYCMarins.flickr.com

Descaro Posts: 77
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1hh :: 8 Buff: NOVICE
imi
Gravity thrust flailing hooves downwards with a satisfactory thud and a crunch of bones, it appeared TARES hadn't managed to move away in time. Descaro stared at her obsidian body that now littered the floor, emotionless and spent. With her wings gone she looked like a regular unicorn and there was something about her that reminded him of someone else. Descaro shook a weary head, he wanted to turn and see what the others were doing. His body just couldn't do it.

Red streamed down limbs and dripped from his barrel collecting on the ground forming a small, bloody pool mixed with saliva and sweat. His stretched nostrils wrinkled at the rancid smell of battle remains, the screams were dying and so was his vision. Descaro couldn't tell at this point who had won the battle as faces blurred into each other, he couldn't even tell if LEANDER was still near him. Where was FAELENE and LENA? Were they close too? The brute was wheezing and one eye now closed from exhaustion. Legs, trembling in fatigue, buckled underneath him and painfully crumbled to the messy earth. Descaro stared the blood soaked ground with one eye, lowering his backend and sighing loudly as he almost fell into the grassy terrain.

He hoped to the high heavens that the battle had finally ended, his heart beat sounding loudly within his lobes and his energy truly spent. Descaro laid his body out, not caring for the red splattered floor, and closed his other eye. Right now all he could do was rest, the steed had given everything for this land. A relatively new land but still, it was his herd. It was strange though, to be on the defending side. The Conscript turned the thought over in his mind whilst his body slowly repaired the fatigue.

[w/c :: 303]
<3 AMY

Faelene Posts: 297
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Sica

Fast as her teeth had harshly sought for LEANDER's skin, they would let go just as quickly. Light was fading even more except for the burst of flame here and it there. Briefly she wished to know where her herd was. Who was alive, and who was desperately in need. Eyes tried to focus with the changing light she just barely noticed AURELIUS. How was he after Azzuen had decided he was his next target? Eyes would falter, and she would jerk her head to fight the dizziness she felt. Whatever she weighed she felt every pound today, and tried to roll it back to her haunches. Where is DESCARO? He is the one her worries are upon, as something black falls to the ground. TARES? Had she finally fallen? Nostrils seek out familiar, but thin at the overwhelming smell of blood, and fear. Those smells trigger too much in her memory, and for a fleeting second she wants to run. It is impossible to run, and not in the red maned to do so. Something calls for her to fall into LEANDER now, but she is too much afraid of that idea, and stubborn. He plays for the other team, and she isn't sure she can forgive nor forget this night.

A moment her heart would want to go out to the black hide mare, but it would only harden further. Faelene had no empathy for the creature, not after all she had done. She had chosen to fight in an effort to steal their home and thus had chosen her fate. Her own wounds reminded her why they existed, and despite it all she felt pride within herself for the first time.

Dark ears forward, she sought out the bay with a white horn. Was it him struggling for breath? Hooves slicing against what had to be tainted terrain, she followed the sound. Reaching him, she could see his own body giving out, falling from high down onto the ground. "Descaro," she utters, but her voice cracks, sounding hollow. A grunt, she skitters around to his head after his body is stretched across the ground. She is afraid he will not get up again. Drawing close she hears the pump of his heart, and pull of air. He is still alive. "Lena? Aurelius?" She says in a stronger tone, but the worry is evident in it's lightness. Protectively she takes stands over the soldier, listening to the dying battlefield, hoping too that it is over. Though it seemed like it had really just begun.

Word Count:429

Aaron Posts: 260
World's Edge Protector atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 6 Years HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alanna :: Common Hellhound :: Energy Drain Emily
Aaron could not help but smile, watching his illusion magic at work. On the outside, he was young maybe even looked foolish or innocent in the battle before them. However the shades and seeing the death of many others… Living knowing his Granddam and Sire most likely died to save him had made him strong on the inside. His desire for magic had been to protect those he loves and keep himself safe. However now, he could see that he was becoming just like Madryn and Maskan. He lived for the battle, to see the enemy in pain… But as he stood there watching LUCIUS suffer, his own body shaking from all the fighting. Blood dripping down his side from the antlers of KORRA, would his mother be proud of him now? Would her parents approve of the warrior he had become? Brown eyes looked away, allowing the fire to stop. The words of the unicorn stallion would haunt Aaron for a while. But as long as he did his job and protected his family he felt little remorse.
As the battle died down, he turned moving to where the other Foothills warriors were closer to Paladin. Worry on his face as he hurried his tired body to the side of ARCHIBALD. The big draft was down, knocked out it seemed, or so he hoped. Carefully he nosed the other knight’s cheek, eyes looking to see if his chest was still rising and falling. It was. Carefully Aaron moved, looking around ready to fight anyone who tried to harm his fallen brother.

[Word Count - 262]

Kiara Posts: 171
Deceased atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 13.2hh :: 5 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Keiran :: Black Panther :: Stormcall Emily
As quickly as it all had begun, it seemed it ended. ALAN pulled back as she moved forward in a strange sort of dance. Kiara danced backward as ALAN thrust her horn at her. Her bite hit home, teeth clamping for a moment down on ALAN’s neck. More movement as ALAN pushed forward, her own hooves striking the bay’s right side. However instead of chasing her, Kiara let her go. The battle around them was dying down, and the young roan was exhausted. Slowly, she made her way to the fallen TORASIN’s side. Only once there did she let her legs give way, green eyes watching as KRI fell from the skies onto the bay that she had fought so hard against. She then turned and looked for MASKAN, before checking herself over. The cuts in her white blanketed rear were deep… They would need some sort of healing but nothing a healer surely could handle in time. She looked again to MASKAN, wondering how the steed was still on his feet and wishing she was as strong… She was also wishing her friend Breeze was there to help her home….

[Word Count - 191]

The Heart is Wiser than the Mind

Please Tag Kiara in All Posts
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kiara at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo

When the powerful haunches push off, taking you into the air, you abandon all control to the fates, and time slows to a trickle - that's when you can kick yourself about the marvelous idea to leap through the air to collide with a Pegasus.

The moment he'd left the earth behind was the moment there was no going back. The tip of his spiraled horn embedded itself in flesh, but instead of piercing, it skidded out towards the right, leaving a gash swelling red with blood. Bodies smacked together, his head thrown clear and more or less into JAYDAN's wing before they went spinning down together. Time sped up again, a frenzy of movements, the sickening snap of a bone - for a moment, Mauja feared that it was his, but he felt whole despite the shudders traveling up his legs. Landing, somehow on neither Jaydan nor Deimos, Mauja stumbled and staggered, joints complaining as they absorbed the shock. A shaking snort left his nostrils in a plume of white. What idiot survived being burnt, just to try and kill himself with foolish, grandiose movements?

The Edge King, apparently.

Digging his left hind into the soft ground he spun around to face his attacker, who was charging, one wing dragging, eyes mad, pained. The stench of blood was thick in the air around him, something futile and hopeless in this vicious charge, and Mauja began to turn his hindquarters to the right. Madmen. He pushed back, kicking up onto his haunches, twisting to become perpendicular to the birdbrain's path. The flare of a wing only made him toss his head higher, leaning back further to avoid it, and the horn scraped a stinging path across his bared cannons. It was hard to find purchase there, but the thin skin peeled back before the onslaught, filling up with red. As Jaydan passed and slammed on the brakes, the wing slammed into Mauja's head and with a muffled grunt he tried to fall back onto the ground, to pass under it. The tangle of feathers obscured his vision - breathe! - and all of a sudden he saw the mist again and Jaydan's hindquarters were pressing against his barrel. The first kick went under his belly, and having no intention of standing there and getting his right legs kicked off, Mauja jerked sideways. The next kick grazed his forearm, and, hissing, Mauja spun further left and tore off a few steps in a canter.

The ground trembled slightly as VIKRAM's bulk touched down again. There was no mistaking which way that draconic head was turned, and with a disbelieving snarl - how could he know? - Mauja's eyes sought a way out. A way away. The acrid stink of fire was already thick in the air, and every instinct screamed at him to run.

Fear lent him strength, a burst he had not expected - or perhaps it was merely a lack of thinking. Light bloomed in the hazy twilight, orange and cruel, flickering, hungry. Wide-eyed, his eyes reflecting fire, Mauja stared at the oncoming doom.
Something cold, deep in the earth, answered his soul's frenetic pulling. Three thick, broad spikes of ice soared upwards, and formed a solid wall in front of the King. The burst of fire slammed into its surface, hot but without any substance to make it last. The ice blackened but held, a wave of heat rushing around its sides to lap at the King's hide - uncomfortable, harmless.

He felt like breaking down, sobbing and babbling, to hide his face in the chilled mud and moss. There was too much fire here.

Fire had ever been his doom, and even though the sturdy wall of ice protected him from becoming an easy target for the horsedragon's snapping teeth, Mauja wasn't safe. No, no, never safe from the fires of hell.

From above it came, a stream, crackling, lighting the mist again. Crying out, the King leaped forward, painfully slamming his face against the ice before realizing he couldn't run through it. Quick on his feet he spun, and charged heedlessly, heading away, away from Deimos nefarious magic too. The dried skin on his back, roughly a Z pattern, cracked, though little blood escaped the cauterized blood vessels. The air smelled of blood and singed hair, of fear and death and fire. Of burnt flesh.

His body remembered the sensation of it crawling across his skin, into his ears, into his eyes. Shaking, shivering, he stumbled across a root and nearly fell to his knees, but instinct made him catch himself. The night around him was dark, and weary, the King turned his aching hind the way his face had been, and stared at the mass of bodies.

What had his family done to deserve this?

[ 800 ]
( avoids dying when he fell with Jaydan, derps off a few steps, turns to face him. swings his haunches right and rears, nearly perpendicular to Jaydan, and takes his horn across his cannons and a wing in the head. Jaydan's hindquarters come more at his barrel, first kicking missing, the second on his forearm as he's moving away, runs off from the rest. Due to the Champs prize he manages his magic one more time, creating a shield of ice to protect against Vikram's fire and teeth, before jumping facefirst into it when Fajira fires his butt. Wheels and runs off pretty much to the outskirt of the battlefield where he stops and stares. :< )
Mauja Frosthjärta
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Leander the LionHeart Posts: 184
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 8
Epona

Just as he was tearing towards DESCARO, he felt a pinch to his flank. His head whipped towards the feeling, only to see FAELENE. At first, he thought she was actually trying to attack him. But that wasn't so. It seemed as if she was almost pulling him, trying to get him to leave the dark DESCARO alone. Did she really feel such concern for that brute? Didn't she see that mongrel try to rip his side open, even when he was only trying to protect her? He had risked his life for her, and now she was focused on protecting someone else. The stag pulled his golden frame away from Unicorn stallion DESCARO, just missing a blow from the dogs flailing hooves. He loped away, only to feel the sharp jolt of teeth on his thigh. He felt the flesh rip as AURELIUS bit just above his hock. Thankfully, the injury was not nearly as painful as the long wound on his side. With an annoyed grunt, he moved more quickly away from the pain. In the final moments of the battle, he turned to FAELENE. Bronze pools could only watch in resentment as she went to the fallen form of DESCARO. He was glad that the little beast was down, whether or not he was a friend of Faelene's hardly mattered now. He tried to throw a last look at FAELENE, dying to speak and somehow mend the ache in his chest, but it was not the time.

The palomino throws himself into a trot, painfully bearing weight on his bitten back leg. The black mare, TARES, was lying across the ground, bloodied. Feathered limbs stepped to the mare's side and stopped. He let his sooty muzzle down to brush her shoulder, trying to give her some indication that she was not alone. He was at a loss for words, merely standing next to this girl who had been an ally in the fray, one mahogany wing cast over her protectively. She was torn apart, and he did not know whether or not she would make it. He stood by her, waiting for a medic, for some sign of what to do. His gaze longed to rest on FAELENE again, but he kept his eyes away. She would only hurt him, more than any of the others could. The sooner he got that through his head, the better.

[Word Count: 423]
[ Leander feels Faelene bite/grab him, and pulls away from Descaro as he bucks, narrowly missing a blow from his hooves. He gets bitten by Aurelius, and though the injury is minor, it causes him pain when walking on the leg and weakens him further. He sees Tares, goes to stand by her, and waits for the battle to end.]

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

With the scent of scorched flesh and sizzling hair ripe in her nostrils the dragon returned to her bonded. She greeted him with a triumphant cry that didn't quite manage to conceal the anxiousness she felt at the sight of him, standing like a statue in the midst of a battlefield. Through some miracle their enemies had refrained from going after the obviously wounded horse, and as they together considered the battlefield through the eyes of the White dragon, it wasn't hard to see why. Through the mist and deepening shades of evening they perceived the sight and scent of numerous fires and the smoke it created - flames both real and illusionary, pillars of ice appearing and disappearing and shaded silhouettes of bodies moving in strange ways. In one cluster of tangling bodies it appeared as if the nature was dying. Fajira avoided the area, instincts whispering about death and darkness and the end of life, spreading from a source that contradictorily was alive. She couldn't explain it, and Lace didn't try to understand - for once he didn't feel like knowing about the source of the living death, but simply accepted the existence of the anomaly.

He felt numb. It was as if nothing existed but the pain, the fear and the scent of blood that hung thick in the air. In some ways he had escaped without much injury, because the silver coat and the gilded markings that gleamed upon the back was unmarred, only sporting a light coating of sweat and dust that made it look dull. But in a different sense, he had payed a heavy price for his participation in this battle. With a broken leg his future had suddenly become uncertain, and his survival depended heavily upon whether or not the Qian would prevail. Their numbers had been great, but the Edge herd had fought back fiercely and nothing was certain - as always in war. If through some whim of the Gods they would be forced to retreat, they would find themselves stranded on enemy lands, a prisoner of war with no way of escaping. Fajira would fight for him if it came to that, but there was only so much she could do for him on her own.

Heaviness settled over him, the weight of uncertainty enough to crush him to the knees. But rather than succumbing to it, Lace remained standing, the head held high and eyes facing forward, into the mist of the realm that soon could be his home. There was nothing left to do now but to wait and pray for the safety of his comrades. Hopefully they would all see it through together.

Word count: 447
Had nothing to defend against, so just fluff.

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Giselle Posts: N/A
Unregistered
Ultimate horror often paralyses
memory in a merciful way
- H.P. Lovecraft

If my opponent had been anything but a pegasus, I might have admired her spunk. The way she refused to go down, and how she even in a state of freezing attempted to defy the fate of death I had prepared for her was admirable. Had she been a unicorn I would have commended the kick to my face, laughed at the blow that landed on the side of my mouth and cracked open a lip. I would have shrugged off the pain and relished the taste of blood, sacrificing it for the chance to admire the strength and flow of life that vibrated within the pure blood.

But KRI was no unicorn, and I had nothing to offer her but hate. Her kick rattled my head and kept me from pursuing her escaping form further. The muscles in my body ached, and with the passing of time I felt the kick to my thigh more strongly as a bruise formed beneath the stormy skin. I tried to put weight on the leg and grunted when pain jolted through the side, echoing the throb under the belly and the tear in my lip. I pushed the tongue against my teeth tentatively to test if they had been kicked loose by the featherbrained bitch, and began to pull away from the battle. I had taken far more damage than planned over such a small scale skirmish, and over something so pointless as land. While I had agreed to join the herd that lived here there was no way I would risk my life to protect a triviality like borders and pride.

No, my cause spread wider than that. Let them have the Edge, if they so wished. Let the tainted take what they wanted for now, so that pride and confidence would soften their hearts and make them less cautious. There were other ways to ensure supremacy than victory on the battlefield, less noticeable ways of decimating the numbers of those unworthy. A cruel smile spread slowly over my bloodstained maw as I retreated, imprinting the look of the pegasus mare into my mind. Just you wait, I'll add your feather to my collection one of these days.

Word Count: 367
Received the kick to the side of the nose, cracking a lip and rattling the head. Then retreated.

Aurelius Posts: N/A
Unregistered

His bite had hit perfectly upon LEANDER’s rear, drawing blood and filling his mouth with the metallic, warm liquid. Drawing back, red droplets fell from his maw as he braced himself for another attack. By now the sun slept, stars twinkling faintly on the indigo canopy above. Everything had turned black and white, mercifully veiling the bloodshed and tragedy in a cloak of darkness. His breath was rapid and shallow, but no more blows were dealt. All around him, the fighting slowly came to an end, the turmoil ceasing as quickly as it had ensued. His body suddenly felt heavy as the adrenaline in his bloodstream disappeared, the pain hitting him like a slap in the face. Having a burnt backside was the worst part, making his scraped and bleeding shoulder seem like a minor scratch. Aury’s head was throbbing and he felt dizzy, but now was not the time to rest. Now, he had to see who was still standing.

Mauja was but a flash of white galloping past, but this time, the small stag did not follow. Hearing a voice shout his name, her perked his lobes and raised his head. Faelene. He hoped the ebon femme had not been hurt too badly; worriedly, he set forward in a waddling limp of a trot, finding her where Descaro had dropped to the ground. “Faelene, I’m here,” he spoke, his voice more shrill and strained than he had intended. It tore at his heart to see his family hurt and scattered, so when he stepped up next to Faelene, it was with a saddened look on his once mild features.

It seemed impossible to get an overview of the battlefield with the thickening darkness, even harder to tell who had come out victorious. In war, there are no winners, only death and destruction, he thought gravely, the ground moist with blood under his hooves. Mismatched eyes peered around for Lena, hoping to see her bay figure approach. Regardless who won, the battle had been devastating, and it would be many moons before both sides were fully recovered. His breath turned into mist as it hit the chill orangemoon air, floating upwards before dissolving into thin air; he was still alive, against all odds, but a small part of him had died with the battle. He had lost his faith in the good in all things living; the face he had seen here today had been pure evil.

Monster Posts: N/A
Unregistered
It was getting darker. The sun was going to sleep and the sounds of the battle also started to die down. What had they accomplished? What had come out of this twilight battle? The beast didn’t know and he didn’t care, he would live wherever Mauja lived, but he knew he would have to leave as soon as he’d figured out if this place was still his home. He had to return to Snö!

The pet raised his head and scanned the battlefield. His sleek horn pointed towards the darkening skies and his red and yellow eyes had lost their glow. He flicked his ears and behind him his matted tail twitched as he searched for the pale body of Mauja. There! The king stood a good few yards away, his body battered and even burned. His face was unreadable as always, but as a good pet the black monster could sense his master’s despair. The beast angled his ears back, feeling regret that he hadn’t come to Mauja’s rescue, that he hadn’t manage to keep his master from getting hurt. A faint wine escaped him and he shook his head as if he could shake the feeling off.

The pet then picked up his feet and started trotting towards Mauja. His body was quite sore, but he never cared about pain, as long as he was able to stand and walk he carried on with his life. His mind never lingered on trivial things such as that, but then again his mind didn’t linger on anything for the most part.

[Ooc; “His face was unreadable as always, but as a good pet the black monster could sense his master’s despair.” --> Allowed by Neo.]

Korra Posts: N/A
Unregistered
Korra
thrilling to think, poor child of sin - it was the dead who groaned within
The fighting ceased. Korra stepped away from the black stallion that she had attacked, KIARA’s blood dripping slowly from the tips of her antlers. The savage raised her head and flares her nostrils, feeling the acute agony of her bruised rib tenfold as her pulse started to slow down. The darkness is threatening to swallow up everything around her, and with a snort, she moves from her spot. Walking slowly, the barbarian tries to distinguish the victorious from the beaten, but all she sees are crippled and wounded silhouettes, faces she does not know, clad in blood and agony.

Outwardly, her damages were minor, but her hind leg felt stiff and her breathing was constricted by the pressure of her rib. The gash on her shoulder had bled quite a bit, making her fur sticky and stiff as it fried slowly, but it was the less serious of the beatings the savage had taken. There was not a fiber in her body that did not scream in exhaustion, but she forced herself on, looking out at the destruction, spotting a few fallen enemies that called a smirk to her face. The bloodlust seeped out of her slowly, the tainted lands under her feet and the stench of blood turning her stomach. This fight had been different than the ones she had participated in in the past; it had been her home and her herd that she had bled for, not a selfish desire of freedom or to prove her power. They had been attacked by intruders, and they had fought bravely, she thought; victory was the only option.

Brown globes found the form of her pale chief, turning her gait in his direction; in any other direction, she would have disappeared back into the woods from where she came, and she could not tell why it was not the case this time. Approaching, she looked into his eyes, and what she saw unsettled her. In her own eyes were a stern, morose look that said it all; this war had cost dearly, but no matter the outcome, Mauja was not to doubt her alliance. Even if these hornless and blood traitors should win their home, she would stand next to her pale king and help him win it all back when they had gathered the strength. Loyalty was in her withered heart, and Mauja was the one who had made himself worthy of it.

[404 words]

Lena the Songbird Posts: 663
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 4 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Imogen :: Common Kitsune :: Fire Heather
L E N A
tomorrow will be kinder

The dust settled, and evening shifted into the horizon, veiling, shading, the bloody portals and apertures with Stygian facets. She stood along the threshold of cold armaments, seized and sieged by the cool clamor of crusades and conflict. Her eyes, once frozen from the perils of her own actions, once terrible, horrifying, fierce slits, softened, witnessed the motions of others as the chaos finally began to dissipate. Forms stilled or limped, gasping and prevailing over the sodden grounds, and Lena did nothing, too absorbed, too still. Her previous attack had apparently missed, and she didn’t know whether to be saddened or glorified by this aspect, to be rendered sorrowful that she couldn’t hinder another enemy, or glad that her lacerating sword hadn’t slashed at a fellow, aching soul. She allowed brief breaths to settle over her lungs, until they refused to coil into sobs, and she could manage to maintain an air of composure over the wounds of her brethren and the ailments fostered along her own nimble, lithe body. What had she committed in this fight for survival? What had she become in this noble pit of anguish, in this regal claim for supremacy, victory over the fated antagonists? What would she convert into now, when the warmth was gone from her soul and the bitter, rancorous onslaught of ferocity plunged its strength into her core? Would it happen again? Would she lose herself, in the throngs of battle and the acrimony of opponents?

She tried not to reflect further, directing her attention along those that she tried to defend. She noted Descaro’s crumpled silhouette, drained, tired, and wounded, but deserving the brief respite that the finale offered. The argent mare, Faelene, was a sentinel over him, guarding in the kindred spirit of conclusions and resolutions, when the world was still fragile but those woven by bond remained stuck, never losing their hold upon others. She could hear her own name prospered by the femme, tinged with worry and concern, and only then did Lena truly begin to move, fostering one tender step after another, to assuage, to relieve, the anxiety of a herd mate. With adrenaline gone, fired off and away from maneuvering, swindling cylinders, she was an aching, throbbing mess – limbs yearned to be left alone, screaming against the torrent of minute movements. Each moment of pain led to another, until she almost broke down again. In refusal, that stubborn, obstinate, unfurling tenacity, she continued onward, calm, composed, forever tranquil, ethereal. Before she could reach the two beckoning forms, Aurelius appeared. It was a great relief to see a friend, though scarred, bleeding and broken, materialize from the heathen raptures of war. They were still alive. They’d survived. They endured. She counted this as a blessing as she silently joined the others, refusing to hang her head, yet, still reeling from the whispered sentiments of ruthless blood curled within her veins, waiting.

Deimos the Reaper Posts: 527
Deceased atk: 7.0 | def: 12 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 72.5 | Buff: NUMB
Heather
Oh, now he could wait and watch while destruction, incensed and boiling, tore against the opponents of another nation. This was his predatory moment, to witness the crying, drifting soldiers limping and hobbling, where the weakened minutemen lay strangled upon the ground, engulfed in injury. If only he’d been able to do more, unleash his vicious, vile necromancy upon a ravenous, pulsing throng, enchant them unto an early grave, throw them into their waiting catacombs. If only he’d been able to curse the bodies of his enemies, throttle them into their dying, gasping breaths, slaughtered, damned, and condemned. Instead, he could only relish and be satisfied as they drew away from him, wounded hides rampaging towards another sector, another corridor, not wishing to be caressed by the nefarious armaments of death. Deimos enjoyed watching them run, twisting and turning off towards the distance, where his puissant, intoxicating touch didn’t pull them away from the perils of life – it spurned him on, wishing the bedlam wouldn’t end, yearning for the spells woven into his body to be unchained, again and again, ruthlessly scraping into the weakened doldrums of their vacuous opponents. Even his icy sovereign, once so callously emboldened by a touch of survival, tore into the plains, not wishing to be extinguished from existence. He was alone again, along the open wounds of the battlefield, untouchable and impervious all the more, eternally nonchalant as screams echoed from across the vast borders. So he stood, listening, craving more, but relinquishing the longing for more acrimony, for more violence, by harboring and absconding the isolation and seclusion of the darkened, hovering shadows.