the Rift

[OPEN] Nemo me impune lacessit

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

Time changes everything. Seeds turn from bud to trees in the span of a few years and children grow up even quicker. Change is inevitable, and one would be a fool not to learn to adjust accordingly. With time you even learn to appreciate it for the change in scenery it brings.

But usually you would expect mountains to last for a little longer, and the sea was supposed to be eternal.

So why was it that, as Shadow flew along the southern coast of Helovia, she barely recognized anything? The very shoreline had changed beyond recognition, and while she had been gone only a few years the red cliffs and beaches along the way looked as though it had taken thousands, no millions of years. The skin on her back crawled with unease at the sight and made her shudder in a way that the icy winds had not managed. With delicate adjustments of muscle and wings the black pegasus drew nearer to the sheer rocks, purple eyes examining the stone again. She was no expert in geology, but even a novice could see the difference between smooth, weather-beaten rock and the sharp and jagged edges that would be left after rock-slides, meteor impacts, any damage that might make stone break apart. Had she been further north she might have gone out on a limb and excused it with harsh winters and ice - she had seen the exploding trees in some places, where the freezing sap made them fly apart during cold nights...

It was just that... she couldn't find the debris that should be lying on the bottom of the cliffs, half-drenched by the sea but still visible. If anything natural had occurred then it should have been there.

The absence pointed to something entirely unnatural, which, deny it as she might, still made the mare uneasy. The powers that had to have been in place to move this much land exceeded anything she could imagine, she could only gape in awe and praise the gods for their sheer strength, and quietly she wondered to herself exactly what it was that had made them do all this. Something must have happened while she was gone, something she had yet to hear about.

It was a good thing that she had other landmarks to navigate by. Using the fading blue light of the Veins and the pale morning sun as indicators she hitch-hiked on a north-eastern gale that brought her to where the western coast of the Dragon's Throat once had been. Well there she found herself forced to continue onwards, because where land once had lain she found nothing but dark, frothing water. Thoroughly perplexed the mare scoured the horizon, and just as she thought her former herd-land had disappeared completely she spotted a red line in the distance, smaller than she remembered and more distant. It took her a while, but eventually she found the remnants of the land-bridge and stared at the strange constructions that rose on opposite sides of the vast, salty moat, far wider than any horse should be able to swim.

What in the four winds had happened here? Had they all gone completely insane? Midas had never struck her as the kind of horse to isolate himself or turn the lands of the Sun into a place restricted only to the winged and the blessed, those skin-changers who could carry more shapes than just their own. Unless... but the thought of Midas somewhere other than the Dragon's Throat was almost as ridiculous. Could a mortal even make this happen? Dragon's Throat had been a vast area of desert, red sand broken off by winding canyons and arid plains. Now it had been reduced to an island in the sea, remote and isolated. Had the Sun god done this? Why, to what purpose?

What now? Was she supposed to wait on the mainland side of this water and wait for someone to notice? Bullocks, to the Abyss with that! As if she had the time (or the patience) to stand around for some young idiot to deign pass by. Shadow continued forth, not even bothering to land and rest despite the increasing strain on her wings from the heavy burden of her swollen belly, inwardly seething with irritation over all the change. Quietly she was beginning to wonder whether there would be anyone she recognized in the herd at all, but then she remembered Ampere and their meeting by the Earth God's boat. Their conversation had been... tense, much through Shadow's own doing, but at least the temperamental mare was still around and about. Finding her was reason enough to continue, and discovering whatever other things had changed now felt like an obligation. Was everything she had known gone?

Would there be nothing for Kari to come home to, when he came back? (Not if. If was forbidden. He would come back, she would see him again. Repeat the mantra.)

The blackbird made a point of circling for a while before slowly lowering herself to the ground, grunting softly as she landed in the cold, red sand; gracefully, but gingerly so as not to make any unnecessary jolts or bumps that might damage the fragile life within her. As she folded her wings over the swelling sides she looked around, expecting a guard to come flying or running any minute.

She made herself comfortable, ready - and rather eager - to start cross-interrogate them about what had been going on in her former home.

@[Zéklè]

shadow

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed

Morrigan Posts: 93
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 16 hands :: 7 Orangemoons HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Pongo :: Bongo :: None Xyroca
Morrigan

As I wandered away from where I had been watching the scuffle between Bucephalus and the strange mare that was unrecognizable to me, I felt a sense of pride swell within my soul. At last, I was able to walk away from the Pegasus stallion that had managed to enrapture my heart and mind in ways that I could never understand. While I still found myself deeply attracted to the brute, I don't believe anything could change that, I was able to turn away without any anger or sadness. Perhaps my time away wandering the desert alone had done me some good after all, though I had certainly been put to the test while watching him defend himself in the battle. The only thing that bothered me now was that I didn't really wish to watch him fight. I knew he could stand up for himself, but that did not mean that I desired to see the stallion obtain injuries that I may end up having to heal one day. I had healed him before, more than once, and it was far from a habit that I wanted to continue. If I wanted to maintain some sort of relationship with Bucephalus, even just a friendship, then I knew I that I didn't want our only time of communication to be during healing seasons because he got himself into another scuffle.

A grunt from my faithful companion jolted me out of my thoughts, my scarlet gaze swiftly darting towards the bongo that had been wandering in front of me. Pongo was looking over his shoulder to give me a bored look, evidently he was tired of my emotional ties to Bucephalus as well. "I'm sorry, I'll stop." With a snort, the antelope creature gave a short and satisfied nod. Before he turned back around, something in the skies caught his attention. Following his gaze to the heavens I caught sight of a distant Pegasus preparing to land, though I couldn't recognize anything about them. Picking up my pace to a steady trot, I weaved between the dry brush of the desert plants, careful to not snag my lengthy hair along any stray rocks or branches.

It was only a few minutes before I was able to reach the short mare that had landed, noting that she seemed to be waiting for something or someone. Even closer, there was nothing familiar about her as I approached. "Hello, may I help you?" I found my voice softly escaping my lips as I paused a safe distance away from her, unsure if she would appreciate a stranger's close proximity without so much as an introduction. "I don't recall seeing you before. My name is Morrigan, a healer for the Dragon's Throat. Is there someone you are looking for?"

[Image: spiderglowingsoftly_by_schwartze-d82gn7s.gif]

Verbal/Physical Abuse permitted, no permanently injuring or killing please.