the Rift

EAST OF EDEN | open

Sabriel Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

"call me wild, drinking up the sunshine"

I’ve been walking so long everything’s started to look the same and I can’t remember if I’ve passed the same bush five times or if all the bushes have just all become so similar that I can’t differentiate between them. I’ll put more faith in my navigational skills and hope it’s the latter, but even with repetitive foliage I take notice of the temperature dropping around me. Wherever I’m headed, it’s clearly winter. A chill dances up my spine, stopping at a wrinkle in my nose. Most of my life has been spent frolicking in warmer climates, stalking through forests that were more tropical than arctic. I’m not sure if I welcome the unfamiliar bite of the frosty wind or despise it. 

The longer I walk, the quicker the season changes around me. The air chills rapidly and soon I can see each breath seep from my lips. The trees morph from leafy canopies to naked skeletons whose pointy claws scrape the graying sky. It’s not much longer before I’m crunching through snow and picking my footsteps much more prudently around precariously iced over patches of terrain. Winter, I decide, is dismal, much like my mood. A snowflake floats down from the clouds and chooses to land on the bridge of my nose where it promptly melts away. All I can bother to do is hiss as the cold prickles at my face, but the reaction is more a product of my mood rather than true distress for the weather. I’m beginning to think I don’t mind the cool climate nearly as much as I’d expected to. The stripped-down trees give the forest an illusory feel and for once I’m divorced from the memories of all the time I spent with my mother in the lush woods of my childhood. Winter feels like an escape.

The snow-covered thicket draws me in further, something about it feeling welcoming despite being so bare and cold. It feels safe here, despite my instinct reminding me that nothing about the wild is safe. It’s only now that I realize how tired I am. I’m not sure how long I’ve walked – walking is most of what I do these days so it all seems to meld together. Or perhaps it’s the cold settling into my bones; tricking my muscles into thinking they’re fatigued so it can better sap the heat from my body. Regardless, I do rest, entirely unconcerned of being out in the frost. I’ve survived worse than a simple drop in temperature; this too shall pass.

sabriel | tagged for anyone | 423 words | she's a bit more melancholy than i expected, honestly

Ilios Posts: 200
Dragon's Throat Informant atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 15 :: 4 (Frostfall) HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Isabella :: Common Rougarou :: Flame Parelia
Ilios
A few chilly and lonely days had passed since the boy joined the Basin, and he was ready to be helpful. Parelia had told him this was the place newcomers seemed to funnel into Helovia. Maybe he could find another that was lost, someone that needed a home, a family. Pride swelled within his young breast as his wings beat the air. Even though there were many he had yet to meet the gold and teal hybrid was proud to be part of mighty Dragon's Throat. A charming smile slithered it's way onto his face. It was nice to be out and doing something productive.

It wasn't long before a scent wafted up on the frozen current; a mare. Was she a wandered, or was she new? He did not know, but was eager to find out. Excitement pounded through his veins as the boy dove sharply towards the ground. he didn't want to land on top of the lady. 'That would be a hell of a welcome. Hi, oh ya we always crush new people here.' A deep musical chuckle rumbled from his powerful chest.

Nostrils flared drawing in the frigged air, trying to pinpoint her location. Once he was sure he had the correct place the boy fluffed his feathers careful to cause a ruffling sound. There was no need to frighten her with a sudden appearance. For good measure a warm nicker ruffled his golden lips before he strode forward. Calling up his memories of Kaj greeting new people he copied his body langue. Horned head lowered wings slightly away from his body, trying to look as kind and nonthreatening as possible. It took a minute before he could finally see her. White on white made it difficult her black spots where the only thing the colt could see. "Hello Miss, I'm Ilios. Welcome to Helovia." His deep country twanged voice rang out strong. This might have been his first time doing this, but he was confident.
Wonderings Talking
Words: 303
OOC: Hi! Welcome to Helovia!
His voice
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. ~ Robert Frost
You must be true to your heart..
[Image: silver_dreamer_mist_by_cantatus_promise-d8flci6.gif] [Image: mwaCGuX.gif]
Tag me
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
[ Seconding thaaat, welcome! ]

Slowly—and he meant slowly because it sure as hell wasn't fast—the feeling of having been, well, asleep faded. It was the slow waking, of pulling oneself from the deepest, most remote corners of sleep, and it lingered, making him feel lethargic for long stretches of time. It was almost as if it told him to go back to sleep, and miss out on another season of his life.

He chose not to listen to it, though, and much as he tried to not think about it, he couldn't help but do it. Walking to the Threshold offered him way too much time to ponder it—what had happened? Was it all in his head? It seemed to have had some kind of effect, because the Edge seemed...emptier, but he was still King, no one had butted him off the throne so.. maybe everyone had gone through the same awkward hibernation..?

Blergh. He wasn't sure if he could ask anyone about it, either. 'Oh hi, you don't happen to feel like you've been asleep for a few months? No? Oh, forget about it then.' And besides, anything that had something to do with time left a bad taste in his mouth. He'd had enough of personal fuck-ups from that God.

So. Time to be productive! Yay!

Eurgh no. The lethargy clung to him, and the clouds blotted out the sun, and the sun was about the only thing these days that could re-vitalize his frizzled brain. "Why," he mouthed into the dismal snowfall, breath like white smoke. "Why, of all the things, why..?"

But he got no answer, and he didn't really know what he was asking about anyway.

He felt in no condition to recruit—his eyes were dull, unfocused, his movements slightly sluggish, matching the pace of his thoughts. They barely moved at all, stagnant like cold syrup, and at about the same time that he decided to call it quits and sleep on the spot—well, he'd already wandered upon something.

"Oh." Something about the startled softness of his voice, the way his forelock hung over his boyish face—he looked like something newly awoken, blinking owlishly. He didn't know either of them, but one—the young stallion—made something in his memories beg for his attention. He had seen that color scheme on a horse before...

"Hi," he went on, tongue flapping even though his mind hadn't caught up. "How are you?"

Gods what am I saying what am I doing what is going on—
lord, the demands you're making-
help the monster on two feet
walk him down the hall, repeat
and when he's strong enough to stand alone
you'll notice what big teeth . . .
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen

Time was slowing in an eerie and unsettling sort of way. Or at least, that was how it felt.

Ashamin felt oddly energized. The sky was dim to the point where neither moon nor sun was clearly seen, but his odd sleep pattern--inflicted by his companion--had left him at a general loss when it came to determining the hour. He knew Lochan was awake, and if nothing else that was an indicator. Then again, just as Ashamin often stayed up at night for his companion's sake, the cerndyr had occasionally joined him to walk in the daylight.

All in all, it was enough to leave the Haruspex more than a little perplexed. That, combined him with his poor navigational skills, had left him without his company, unsure of both when and where he was. So much for wisdom.

When he had left the Aurora Basin in pursuit of, well, he wasn't quite sure, he hadn't been alone. Johnny, the herd's crafter, had been in quite hot pursuit. But Ashamin's energy had left him impatient, and soon the distance between the pair had grown into an eventual parting. Now he was so lost he wasn't sure if Johnny would find him at all.

Lochan led the way, now. Though Ashamin felt a nervous buildup of something inside him, leaving him jittery and anxious, he had slowed his pace for his companion's sake. Lochan was still sluggish from sleep, and though the cerndyr was generally quite speedy, his little black frame did not bound through the forests and snow, now. Instead the pair maintained an easy and relaxed pace, leaving four pairs of cleft hoofprints in their wake with every cycle of steps.

And eventually such motion was bound to bring them into the presence of others. Up until encountering that welcoming circle he'd been uncertain about the forest's identity, but now the buck was sure. They were back at the threshold. It was funny, how he always seemed to end up back where he had started.

With no wide canopies and distracting green to hide him, Ashamin was left in the open clearing as an obvious figure. Still, he stood apart from the others who had come here. He was blanketed in snow, some caught in silk folds, some melting away at the sparks by his tail. He was a coldfront, a newcomer still, a lonesome beast from the Basin that still stunk of its chill. As unfamiliar as he was in and to these lands, they had made their mark on him, from scar to scent.

Lochan brayed softly at Ashamin's side by way of introduction, sending images of the three figures in crayon sketches to his bonded as he did so. The haruspex would not discourage such double-vision; often the young cerndyr, perhaps with that third eye of his, seemed to catch things that Ashamin did not. Even in the crude drawings, there were contained details Ashamin would not have seen.

The others, strangers from distant lands, had taken care of their and the land's custom, now he would offer his own. He stepped forth, closer, long tail dragging and sending sparks across each icy patch, until he was closer to the mare with the fresh scent of an outside land. To the stallions, he extended two nods. To the mare, he extended his cheek.

"Greetings," he said softly, no longer hesitant. At his back, his dark companion lowed quietly, the same.

"" ""
[[Welcome to Helovia, Lark! Permission from Sarah to include Johnny.]]
ASHAMIN

I've grown so used to being lost
sceneries change, the compass remains
a shattered watchface, broken chain,
I stand, irresolute

image credits

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Johnny Posts: 161
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 13 hh :: 10 years
Jellybean :: Common Griffin :: Molten Dagger Sarah

Johnny
“Hot pockets Ashamin you guys can really book it.” Such were the words that proceeded my official entrance into the group as I take my favourite spot beside Ashamin and the cute little Lochan. We had gotten separated on the walk here but did I ever for one moment think that he was trying to leave me behind? Well no, not at all. You see, Ashamin and I have a bond. We’ve cemented it pretty officially so you know, obviously he’s one of my best friends! 

He's also one of the few that haven't gone all squirrelly around me, like they've never seen a pink-pointed unicorn that is made of sugar and peppermint before. Honestly. 

Had I wanted a nice leisurely walk beside Ashamin to wherever he had been planning on going? Why yes. A beautiful, romantic walk through the falling snow. But nooo. It’s okay though, because I’m going to get more chances for such activities. We live in a winter wonderland, after all. 

My stocky legs finally getting the chance to rest, I focus my attention on the rest and blink at them all with bright green eyes. Would you CHECK OUT this fantastic group of hotties that we have gathered here today. And I mean it! Everyone gathered here was so interesting. There was this beautiful spotted mare, with a rather impressive pair of antlers on top of her head. A spotted stallion that could totally be her brother stood nearby too, only he had horns that looked like the most perfect blue ice you ever did see. And there was a pair of wings! Everyone in this merry group had a horn but there was only one with wings, a sandy and turquoise youth.

I’m totally the shortest out of all of them but I don’t care, there’s no real way that they can not notice me. I’m red and pink and white and I don’t shut up long enough to be ignored. Oh and I’m sweet, literally and figuratively.

These woods look vaguely familiar to me but I honestly forgot that this was the place where you go to recruit and to greet those that were new to Helovia. So while I’m rather confused about why we’re all gathering here I decide to not question it, and instead make the best of the situation that has led me to three new friends this day. “Hello everyone!! My name’s Johnny. How are you all this glorious day?” Doesn’t everyone love the snow?

I'm your sweet sugar Candyman

Image Credit
Table by Sevin!

WHOOPS <3 

welcome to Helovia!!
[Image: Johnny%20by%20Aud_zpsi3ssx2s1.gif]
magic and physical force permitted at all times
vigorous licking strongly encouraged
please tag in all posts

Unregistered

There’s a lullaby on the frigid wind. I can hear it howling somewhere in the distance but it’s a gentle whisper by the time it reaches my ears. The cold has settled deep into my muscles, working hard to convince me that I’m exhausted. And maybe I am. So I rest, leaned up against the frosted-over trunk of a tree that’s frozen in time, snarling at the dim sky. About the time I’m settled with my eyes closed and my mind and body laid to rest I hear the tell-tale crunch of hooves on snow. For a split second I argue with myself, my cold-numbed muscles crying out for me to stay in stasis and my still-sharp instinct screaming for vigilance. My mood darkens further as I choose instinct over comfort.

I’m not surprised to be greeted by an unfamiliar face when I open my eyes, but I am relieved that he seems to be uninterested in sneaking up on me. Youth shines bright on his face and there’s something disjointed about his movements that betrays him and confirms his inexperience. The stiffness along my spine eases up a bit; this boy seems harmless, though I’m not entirely sure why he decided to drop in on me. I shoulder off of the tree, determined to stand on my own in the face of company even if I can’t feel the hooves that ground me. On second thought, perhaps this little winged boy came to investigate and see if I were truly half frozen to death. Wryly, I wonder if I am.

He drawls out his name, Ilios, and I force a twisted smile onto my chilled lips. I’ve about thawed my throat to speak when a second stallion wanders into our midst. I can appreciate this one both for his familiar looks and the spacey expression that covers his face. He sounds as confused as I feel. “Hi…” The syllable is heavy like my frozen tongue and it falls like a rock in the space between myself and the two strangers.

Another stallion, this time followed by a deer like I’ve never seen before, enters the scene and I start to wonder if this is some sort of strange payback for all the years I’ve spent living in near isolation. I blink away frost that’s collected on my lashes, my expression turned pensive as I survey the collection of stallions before me. The newest one offers a greeting and I nod tiredly, completely unsurprised when our group grows with the addition of one last stallion. This one’s definitely the loudest, in both color and attitude for he seems to have absorbed all the energy that the winter’s taken from me, and probably that of the spotted stallion, too.

Only after I’ve stood staring at the group for what has to have been too long not to be awkward do I remember that I’ve only said one word and it wasn’t my name. I might’ve been raised in a forest and instilled with a predisposition toward hermithood, but I do have some semblance of manners and I’m starting to get the idea that I chose to nap in some sort of welcoming ground. “I’m Sabriel.” The cold air creeps down my throat, burning as it goes. “I’m afraid I wasn’t expecting such a party.” My humor’s as dry as the cold winter air and I can’t help but wonder, where the hell am I?

sabriel | tagged for ilios, mauja, ashamin, & johnny| 576 words | thank you all for such a warm welcome!

Ilios
Silver eyes searched for the antlered maiden's blue-green before turning to look at her body language. He relaxed along with her, if she had meant him any harm, surely the mare would have done so already. A shiver raced down his young spine as frost settled upon his coat. Before either of them could say another word another appeared, he could have been her brother, besides the single horn upon his head. This taller and older stallion looked sleepy and confused. Yet again before the other could offer more than a simple hi their numbers grew by two.

All hope he had for taking this lady to the Throat seemed to vanish with their appearances. Remembering his manners the colt shoved his doubts a side the boy dipped her horned head in greeting. The others were all unicorns, three males and the mare. He was the odd ball out, again. Clearly he was younger not to mention a hybrid. Rolling his shoulders he listened to the words offered. A smile touched his lips as the smaller pink and red stud spoke in a bright and cheery voice. Others might have been shocked by his bright coloring, but it had no affect on the teal ivy marked colt. His gaze flicked towards the mare which seemed taken aback by the large crowd and the bounce male.

His deep draw sounded, "It's a pleasure to meet you Miss Sabriel. I'm sure this is all over whelming, but we're only here to answer your questions, and possibly offer you a home." He smiled kindly at the lady that seemed so cold and tired. "I hail from a desert, the Dragon's Throat. It isn't as dry as it sounds, I promise." A gravely chuckle ended his little speech before he turned to hear what the others had to offer this mare. He was sure none of them hailed from the Hidden falls, so that left the Aurora Basin and the World's Edge. 'Now which goes to which?' It was hard to tell since they all had a horn.
Wonderings Talking
Words: 343
OOC: Sorry this took so long!
His voice
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. ~ Robert Frost
[Image: silver_dreamer_mist_by_cantatus_promise-d8flci6.gif] [Image: mwaCGuX.gif]
Tag me
Ascended Helovian

but somewhere here in between the city walls of dyin' dreams
Time stretched in a manner both disconcerting and fascinating. His thoughts seemed to partially freeze in the moment, growing thinner and thinner within his awkward time bubble, and yet he was aware of it—able to almost see it happening, the snowflakes hanging in the air as his heart kept pounding. Ilios—it was Ilios he'd said, right?—was watching the mare with a pleasant kind of concern, and she said Hi like she'd never met anyone before. Shy and frozen. Mauja's ears flicked forward,

—and time sped up again. His pulse surged, vertigo rocked his world and a low roar went through his ears. For a split second everything was upside down, inside out, and when it righted itself they had nearly doubled in numbers. Two stallions and some fancy-looking deer had joined them. One seemed quiet, the other vibrating with so much life Mauja wondered why it hadn't magically turned into spring yet. Without noticing, Mauja leaned a little closer to the fancy pony.. and closer.. his eyes still on the frigid mare, something vacant draped across the clear blue.

The world had slowed again.

Then—

“I’m Sabriel.”

—and there was something sort of rough and hairy against his tongue. It made the winter wind bite a little sharper along it, sort of cold, and, and, and as his gaze flickered he realized he'd bent his head down towards Johnny's neck and—

"AH!" he yelled, and bounced back, almost sitting back on his haunches. His heart was rattling in his chest, tremors running through his lungs as his tongue stuck out for a moment; eww, hair. "SorrysorryIdidn'tmeantolickyou—"

But what the fuck, he had tasted kind of sweet in a way, and.. not at all like a horse... Mauja's 'brows drew together as his now-sharp gaze fell upon the small horse. The gears still ground slowly within his skull. Too slow. His body was awake but the mind was numb, and instead of doing the sensible thing like introducing himself, apologizing in a slightly more sane fashion, or paying attention to poor Sabriel.. he asked this, something heavily thoughtful taking over in his eyes: "Can I lick you again?"

[ Dork Alert. He pretty much licked Johnny's mane/neck. xD ]
man, I ain't changed, but I know I ain't the same

Caleb Posts: 135
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.1hh :: 4yo :: Orangmoon HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Henrietta :: Weimaraner :: None baylee
The amount of spots collected in one area was unusual, but Caleb loved it. He loved seeing the congregation of spots (and candy cane color) on the powdered snow. Each vying for a chance to take this mare home. Each helplessly offering there homes. Mauja, Ilios, Ashamin, Johnny, Sabriel, now Caleb. A mare surrounded by flaundering idiots. He is hidden well, silent, seeing but not shown. Henrietta doing the same, observing.

Then something weird happens. Mauja from the World's Edge, licks Johnny. A deep, masculine, laugh vibrates up his throat, escaping through pink lips as he slips out of the shadows, moving at a casual stroll towards Mauja, the laugh fading as he begins apologizing profusely. Then a question, he asks to re-lick him. "Mauja, did no one ever tell you that cannibalism is not accepted everywhere?" His voice is laced with mild humor, a smile placed upon his whiskered jaw. This dark beast moves into the crowd, choosing to stand near Mauja in the order, simply because it was the closest spot to choose. Caleb is not a peppermint-man-eater (like Mauja), but the very definition of a woman-eater, a helpless Casanova. Perhaps deep within the clockwork of his mind, is a loneliness that haunts him, threatens to bury him in mounds of shit. He covers up this emotional damage with sex, because he cannot find something else to take his thoughts off of himself.

"Ashamin, it's nice to see you." Eyes watch Ashamin for a minute before slowly moving to the hybrid. "You too, Ilios and Johnny." Intense eyes land on each when their respective names are said, knowing the names from listening. Then after each greeting his eyes find Sabriel and settle. He found her attractive, very attractive. The coloration of her hide piquing the interest that lives within Caleb. The heated images of his snout tracing the lines between black and white, igniting fire between them. Blinking the x-rated images away, he focuses on the current situation. He stands, simply there, listening, but with little input. His hound moves from the shadows too, sitting next to Caleb, obedient as ever. Her tongue lulls from her mouth, hanging between white canines, her eyes following the conversation. He doesn't introduce himself nor his canine, as he imagines Mauja or Ashamin will greet in the same fashion as Caleb, spoiling his name to this alien mare. The smirk that played his lips has vanished, leaving a hard face, though handsome, equally frightening in a rough, masculine, murderous way. Would they hate the secretive cloak the beast wears, search for answers that he does not even have of himself? Will they wonder what has happened to the beast to make him such?

ooc: Hope you don't mind my crashing! I couldn't resist Caleb making a remark to Mau about Johnny >.>

Everything brightened, when Johnny arrived. That was always the case. And Ashamin felt suddenly guilty, then, for having quickened his pace even unintentionally and leaving that bright soul behind. It was good to keep someone like Johnny around. Maybe not so good for the nose, but good for the soul.

Ashamin accepted the mare's tired nod as greeting and dipped his head, retreating to Johnny's side. He hadn't expected much else of her, after all--surely she was overwhelmed, as the hybrid youth suggested. Ashamin nodded towards that creature, painted in teal vines, and smiled. He was alone, the sole representative for his herd, and to still stand proud in spite of that filled the haruspex with admiration.

Ashamin felt a nudge, a sort of bump against his knee, and looked down to see Lochan, pressing him on. His gaze turned back to the antlered mare, and with it arrived a smile. "Yes, I don't imagine anyone ever expects a crowd like this. Apologies, I am sure it is a lot to take in your first time in Helovia, I arrived not long ago and remember the feeling well." Ilios' question rang in his mind, and as his long tail darted about across the snow he thought he might answer it, at least, and so Ashamin turned to face him. "A good question, Ilios. My companion Johnny and I hail from the Aurora Basin, he is our rather talented weaver and I serve as the herd's Haruspex."

His gaze turned back to the mare's, Sabriel's. "Though our land may be colder than most, the warmth of its citizens is immeasurable," the painted buck assured. And that was true, as far as Ashamin had ever experienced. Johnny was certainly proof of that.

He was only able to offer the mare that brief reply before a series of unexpected events occurred. Ashamin had never met this spotted beast from the edge, but he was quickly learning he wasn't the most serious of sorts. Lochan noticed before Ashamin did, the long tongue pinned against Johnny's pure neck, and flashed the rather odd picture before the Haruspex. Why anyone would want to lick Johnny was beyond him, the smell was certainly more than potent enough, but to actually let go of all inhibitions and do so? Ashamin frowned, about to speak before a friend thankfully interrupted him.

The dashing hybrid appeared as if from the shadows, relieving Ashamin of the words and playing off this edge stranger's odd behavior with a joke. Lochan, seemingly no longer bothered by the incident, began wandering closer to the mare and nosing about her hooves. Immediately, the haruspex relaxed. If Lochan was calm, so was he. "Caleb, a pleasure. Out patrolling, soldier?"

It was a question to change the subject and keep his mind off of what the hell had just happened with Johnny. Instinctively, the haruspex reached to place his neck over Johnny's and pull the crafter closer. He had a feeling the bright stallion wouldn't mind.

"" ""
[[Apologies to all, I haven't fixed Ashamin's profile so Lochan's info was hidden away but it's now there under "other", for reference. He is very young so he still looks like a baby.]]

ASHAMIN

But you're never really alone, my friend
with a home and a heart you can share with a will
You will never be really alone.

image credits

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.

Outcast
Johnny
Well, I might have made some soothing comment, or tried to cheer our intended up a little bit, but umm…. things started happening. We’re all focused on her, the dear shy mare that seemed to be the focus of attention. Or, I thought we were all paying attention to her because I’m about to say something - intrigued as I was by Ilios and talk of some Dragon’s Throat - when something that was unmistakably a tongue came in contact with my neck. 

There’s a time and a place where I expect such things, and sometimes it is in a crowd of near-strangers, but that honestly has only ever happened in my dreams. So instantly I start thinking HEY! Maybe this is a dream. It wouldn’t be the first time Ashamin was in them, though the mare and the other two stallions were a bit of a surprise.

A shiver ran down my spine and it wasn’t altogether an unpleasant one.

A quick look over showed proof that it was the large, spotted unicorn that had decided to go in for a taste and a bright grin instantly appeared. “Why hello to you too.” Okay, so I’m not freaking out because it really wasn’t all that strange for me to get licked. I was a walking, talking sugar cube that happened to collide with a candy cane and it’s all very strange.

So I don’t blame him for wanting a taste even if this wasn’t the right time.

He seemed pretty taken aback by it, as I’m sure was everyone else, and stumbled over himself trying to apologize for what had happened. All in all, it just sort of endeared him to me further because man, this giant intimidating looking stallion was such a dork and I like that in a man. Another showed up (much, I am sure, to the dismay of Sabriel) and it was one of our brethren from the Basin. I gave him a smile but I had to say that I was focused on spots, with a big grin still. Because he was asking me if he could lick me again. Ashamin didn’t seem to like this, however, as he was pulling me closer to him - which, okay, I totally didn’t mind either. Nestled close to Ashamin as I was, those green eyes of mine lingered on Big Spots and I gave him a good wink and a nod in a response to his question. I even flicked my tail for good measure.

In fact, why doesn’t everyone come get a taste?
Image Credit
Table by Sevin!
please tag in all posts

Unregistered

Ilios is more than right – I’m terribly overwhelmed. This is by far the most interaction I’ve ever had at once and I feel stress clawing at my chest as I fight – and fail – to pay attention to everything at once. I force myself to shift around where I stand, the movement breathing a tendril of life back into my frozen muscles. The aforementioned colt continues to talk, giving my frazzled mind something to focus on. He’s confirming my suspicions that I’ve landed in a recruiting area of sorts, though for who or what, I’m uncertain. Ilios is from a desert and that manages to pique my interest because of all the places I’ve roamed, a desert has never been one.

Unfortunately, Ilios’s explanation is the end of the normalcy. The spotted stallion who’d initially captivated me in his familiarity leans over to the small and loud little stallion and licks him, promptly wheeling away, aghast with his own actions. I glance at the rest of the crowd, my former exasperation returning. How the hell had I ended up here, in a land wrought with blabbering fools such as this? The stark foreign nature of this strange and convoluted place does not end with the spotted, nameless male and instead appears to possess the littler victim of his licking. Johnny, he’d called himself, appears entirely unbothered by having a (stranger’s?) tongue placed on his body and I can’t help but think of all the ways I’d tear that tongue out if it’d come near me. Without realizing it, I drag myself a step in reverse, begging my muscles to wake back up in case I might need to flee. The land itself, it seems, can sense my flighty nature as it sends forth yet another stallion into my midst. He seems familiar with everyone though it doesn’t escape my notice that he’s omitted his own name but it doesn’t take much for me to understand that he’s simply here to enjoy himself, be it by belittling the stallion who doesn’t understand boundaries (Mauja, it seems), or looking me over like I’m on display.

“If this is normal behavior, I think I’ll just be passing through.” And yet, where else do I have to go? The next one to actually address me is the lion-tailed pinto of whom I receive a lot of information that my overloaded brain is sluggish to process. He calls this place Helovia, and says he hails from the Aurora Basin. I can only assume that this is his comparable version of Ilios’s Dragon’s Throat. He says it’s cold and I wonder if it’s possible for me to be colder than I already am. I also wonder if I’m willing to find out. “So you’re from this…Dragon’s Throat,” I look at Ilios briefly, “And the three of you are from the Aurora Basin.” I nod at Ashamin, Johnny, and Caleb. With a sigh, my seagreen eyes fall on Mauja. “Dare I ask what sort of land produced you?” I don’t mean to be impolite, though the words still seem harsh in the winter air.

The strange little deer-creature’s wandered up to me, sniffing about my hooves and for a moment I forget the stress and confusion of this place and these men. The little fawn enchants me and I lean down to investigate it, tentatively brushing its neck with my nose. Drawing my head back upon my shoulders, I lock Ashamin in my sights. “He’s not a deer.” I’m observant, clearly. “What is he?” And then, without waiting for an answer I remember how to use my brain and my mouth and the dam breaks and more questions come forward. “You called yourself a…haruspex and the candy-colored one a weaver. What does that mean? How do these places – your homes – work?” I start out addressing Ashamin alone, but the last question goes out to the whole group.

sabriel | tagged for ilios, mauja, ashamin, johnny & caleb | 656 words | sorry this is super awful, my brain's a bit jumbled from taking a spill in my lesson today but i wanted to get this up! also do any of you guys prefer being tagged in future replies?

Ilios
Silver orbs turned towards the other stallions quietly allowing them to all speak to the newcomer. Crowds weren't a problem, not for him anyway, but this was just the weirdest group of horses ever. Twitching ears flicked his worries away as he turned back towards the spotted doe. She really seemed to relate to his words then the painted stud stud spoke. Ilios would never know what it was like to join a new world, but a new herd he could relate to. It must have been extremely difficult to leave their entire homeland in search of another. Or where they made to leave? Had there been trouble in their home that forced them to leave? Words of the Aurora Basin brought the boy back. So they were from the frozen land. He had seen the scars his mother bore, as a reminder to stay well away from there. Would the black and teal etched horn be enough to keep him safe around them? Now wasn't the time to ask, neither were these unicorns. In his mind these unicorns didn't have the authority to answer such an important query.

Before anyone had a chance to say anything else a set of very weird things happened all at once. The spotted stag leaned down and licked the small pink and red male. Raising an eyebrow he glanced at the mare. Now this was the weirdest thing he had ever seen. Why was a dude licking another dude?! What the actual fuck?! Leaning closer to Sabriel the colt whispered, hopefully just so she could hear, "I have no idea what's going on. I've never seen anything like this happen before and I've lived here my whole life." Bright eyes blinked kindly at the girl before the sudden appearance of yet another male showed up. He was much taller than himself, black and white, a hybrid sprouting a feather tipped lion tail, along with an oddly shaped black horn.

Instant dislike sprang to his heart he was cocky and very rude. Handsome brow furrowed the male lifted himself up to his full height watching the other ready to defend the mare if need be. He spoke so the spotted male was named Mauja. He filled that into his memory before turning back to the other. He greeted everyone but Sabriel, which only ticked him off more. He only gives a stiff nod as he is greeted as well. So he had been snooping, another tick against the other. A soft snort rippled from his muzzle as he turned back to the doe. A soft smile replaced the aggravated look upon his face, "There are only two other possibilities Miss, the Hidden Falls, and World's Edge. I've never seen Mauja in the Falls, so I assume he is from the Edge." He paused to glance to the older male for agreement before continuing. "I've lived in both of those lands. The Falls is exactly what it sounds like, water falls everywhere." A deep chuckle then more words, "The Edge is full of Evergreens and mist. It rests on the edge of a cliff that over looks the ocean." His smile flickered as he thought almost longingly of his past home. "As far as I know they are all good in their own ways. You could also live free until, or if, you pick a place." It was the truth, even if he would love to take her home with him. He fell silent as the small deer thing moved towards her and she inquired about it. He was just as curious and added his own thoughts over him, "He is very interesting."
Wonderings   Talking
Words: 608
OOC: Sorry this took so long!
His voice
Tag me
Ascended Helovian

but somewhere here in between the city walls of dyin' dreams
He wished he could rewind the tape, and do things differently. In a way, he wished he had never come here at all, and stayed in the Edge in his odd space of, well.. spaced-out-ness. There, in his loneliness, he was safe. The herd was stretched so thin he could spend his spells alone in the fog, to not subject himself to the sharp gazes and biting words of others.

Because in all honesty, they hurt—it was like falling on already-scabbed knees, too weak and tired to catch yourself. So you fell down and tore the skin open all again, stumbled to get up, and kept going like that.

Caleb was the first, his arrogant voice slipping with smug superiority through the cold winter air. Ashamin was the second, putting his neck over Johnny's and tugging him closer—protecting him from Mauja, who didn't know where to look, or at whom. The colt from the Throat was blessedly quiet about it, but on the whole, the ease which with Johnny took it couldn't quite take the edge out of it.

His blue eyes grew a little softer, a little sadder, and as he met Johnny's playful gaze his dark lips curved into the briefest of sad smiles before settling back into vaguely hurt neutrality. Sabriel's question was loaded with the same kind of stinging bite—whispering freak, get away, go away, and all he could think of was Ashamin's neck draped over Johnny's, pulling him away.

Fuck. Life.

And he wasn't even fit to answer the questions leveled at himself anymore, reduced to nothing, a blabbering, mindless idiot of some sort as the colt deduced he had to be from the Edge. A small sigh escaped Mauja's nostrils as his eyes closed and head dipped down a fraction. Today was turning out to be the worst day he'd had in a while.

"The Edge, aye," he said, quietly, when there finally was some time for him to speak. "The Edge is a small herd yet. It.." But the words just felt dead in his mouth, wasted and pointless; bitterness welled up inside, together with the hurt.

I have to get out of here.

"Do not judge the rest of them by me. If—if you like the idea of living on the high cliffs above the sea, you're welcome to come there, and meet the rest of them." His ears and eyes flicked, uncertainly, lingering a moment longer on Johnny—the only one to have shown him some kind of understanding and kindness in this meeting. Still, he supposed he held together well enough, seeming simply a bit subdued and not as outright shattered as he felt.

"I will be going now. Pleasure to have met all of you." And then he simply turned and began to head back west, struggling to keep the serene tears from falling down his face—and failing.

Two owls drifted down from the sky to settle on his back as he moved away, their talons breaking his skin with their squeezes of comfort.

[ He's been odd the entire thread so tbh I'm not surprised he pulled out like this. Tagging @Caleb for being next. :) ]
man, I ain't changed, but I know I ain't the same

Lochan, suddenly realizing he was the center of attention, froze. His white eyes went wide and his short tail flagged up, flashing its white underside to his bonded. Even Ashamin, standing a little further back than the newcomer mare, could see Lochan's fear. He was a shy creature, to be sure. Perhaps age and experience would change that, perhaps not. But not wanting the cerndyr to leave without his curiosity sated, Ashamin stepped forward and nudged him with his nose.

The surface of his horn, rough and pitted, the wide set yawn of his nostrils, brought a familiar sense to the small creature. He was safe. He didn't need to be scared. Slowly he relaxed, taking a few steps backwards, putting himself back between Ashamin's knobby legs.

"Lochan is a cerndyr," Ashamin supplied happily, casting the mare a faint smile as he answered her question. "I believe they are a species unique to helovia. I'm not sure if they're all quite as timid as he," the haruspex added, shifting his legs to rub against the creature's soft fur, comforting him.

But this was just the first of many questions, and the ones that followed all brought a familiar tightness to Ashamin's chest. Hadn't he wondered all the same things when he'd come here, but been too scared to ask?

He watched as the appaloosa excused himself, and cast a nervous look over at Johnny. Had Ashamin offended the spotted beast, in a failed attempt to offer friendship to his weaver? He shook his head, remembering that he'd left Johnny's side to comfort Lochan, remembering the information Ilios had already provided and the questions Sabriel had asked.

"What I spoke of before were our titles. Within each of the herds there are sets of ranks, each specializing in certain disciplines. I serve as a scholar for the herd, Caleb a defender. Johnny..." Ashamin smiled, thinking of Johnny's skill with magic. "Johnny makes items out of cloth to help the herd succeed. His skills are especially useful, in cold months like these." His long tail flicked in Johnny's direction. He was appreciative of the weaver's willingness to help all in the Aurora Basin, even near strangers.

"If you wish to join us on our journey home, Sabriel, I would be happy to accept you into our herd. I have helped others such as yourself find a path to follow in the Aurora Basin, I consider such council to be one of my duties as the Haruspex," Ashamin said proudly, remembering reading the stars for Mortuus' sake. How was that strange stallion, now? Meeting with Lena, perhaps.

Ashamin turned to Johnny then, wondering what the weaver would add, if anything. Ashamin had not come to the Threshold expecting to find a new addition to the herd, but this mare would be more than welcome. He was always thankful for new members of the family.

"" ""

ASHAMIN

[[Sorry you were waiting! Bay went on absent and said to go ahead and skip her so I thought I'd speed this along.]]
image credits

@Johnny @Sabriel @Ilios @Caleb

Outcast
Johnny
Oh! No! Mauja come back! I'm instantly saddened by the void that big spots has left in our little circle. And in my heart. I want to run after him, apologize for being so tempting and let him know that it really really didn't bother me, but... Ugh what is this, a sense of duty? Sabriel, bless her soul, was asking questions about the Basin and their jobs so she drew my attention away. I would, mark my words, track down the cookies-and-cream god and talk to him at a later date. But, for now, Ashamin and this merry little gathering held my body there.

I wondered how she felt, being in this group and in a new land, and I felt a little guilty. Not a lot, mind you, let’s not get carried away but it was probably absolutely insane for her - here she was, napping and probably lost when all of a sudden there are four dudes crowding around, one of them is licking one of the others and then people keep popping out of the woods like it’s some sort of play! Okay, so this totally sounds like the sort of play I would go to but I understand that it’s not for everyone.

“It’s a little overwhelming, don’t I know it dearie.” Hadn’t been all too long ago when I was in this very forest! I don’t have too much to add, because Ilios did a pretty good job summing up the herds and Ashamin introduced most of the ranks. “Each of the herds have different ranks, healers, spies, warriors, crafters, storytellers, as a way for everyone to give back to the herd and help keep it safe. And if you’re not sure where you belong, you can take some time to figure it out.” See? Candy horse isn’t so scary!!! I try my best to give her an encouraging smile but I’m kind of worried that I just look like I’m high. Or maybe that’s what is scaring her though I hope not. I’ve been told I have a beautiful smile. 

So sweet it causes cavities, they said. “Licking usually doesn’t occur, wherever you feel comfortable with going.” Can I make a joke about that? Too soon? “And if it’s none of our herds, feel free to tell us all to bugger off and let you nap!”

Am I being helpful yet?
Image Credit
Table by Sevin!

sure you can take me in future replies, Lark! 
@Sabriel
please tag in all posts

Unregistered

By this point in time I can feel crippling exhaustion hit me like a brick wall and I’m not entirely sure the cold is to blame. All bursts of energy have been used up and I can feel the drag of gravity like a heavy weight on my back, a convincing incentive to make the ground my bed for the night – all these herds be damned. My thoughts have slowed to a crawl and every processor in my body is blaring red warning signs that shout out ‘OVERLOAD’ but I can’t do anything to stop it. This has been entirely all too much and too fast and though I thought I could handle all the information being poured into me it seems I’ve reached my limit.

Simultaneously everything happens at once and in slow motion. Ilios leans closer to me with a whisper that confirms my confusion. I’m appreciative, so I attempt a dumbfounded nod. My lips can’t seem to cooperate long enough to offer him a smile. Then Mauja speaks again and even through my daze it seems he’s at war with his own senses. There’s some sort of foreign aura around him that I can’t place; it seems almost sad, but even if I had every ounce of brain power I possessed I doubt I would understand. He mentions the Edge where he’s from and my frostbitten heart leaps at the mention of its small size. I can vaguely recall Ilios saying something about trees and mist at the Edge but I’m not sure if it’s some sort of daydream I’ve concocted, mixing this new reality with my yearn to regress back into my familiar, comfortable past. But even as I fight through my own overwhelmed mind, Mauja backs away and bids the group a farewell. He tears a part of my hope away, stealing it as he leaves. “Wait…” But my voice is too tired, too quiet, and too late. The leopard-printed stallion disappears.

I try as I may to listen as Ashamin steps up with his answers. The little deer – or rather, cerndyr – retreats back into the safety of the lion-tailed stallion’s presence and I’m instantly envious. I once had a blanket of comfort all to myself back in my homeland where the trees protected me and my mother’s presence was guaranteed. Until it wasn’t. With a tired look cast on the little fawn I can only hope he never sees his own concrete truths shattered. As Ashamin generously provides me with information I can’t help but drift my attention back to the trees that had taken Mauja. A spark of want lights my insides and I wonder if I just follow in his footsteps would the trees swallow me up, too? It seems like such a familiar escape.

Johnny provides conclusion to both Ilios and Ashamin’s answers and I take time to consider the three of them. Despite the anxiety the meeting has caused me, they’ve all been helpful and gentle. I’ve never had to make a decision of such magnitude and that alone adds panic to the heavy burden already on my mind. I offer them all a smile of gratitude though I’m sure the gesture looks warped as I force all the muscles into place. The line of trees beyond the remaining group of stallions still calls to me with a lullaby of temptation, begging me to vanish between their bare, silver trunks. “You’ve all been very generous to me, offering up your homes and your time.” I pause, my chest suddenly tight with a mixture of fear and nerves. Suddenly I’m jumping off a cliff and into the unknown. “I want to go to the World’s Edge.” I’m in a free-fall, spiraling down and out of control. I move, then, taking a handful of steps in the same way that Mauja had gone earlier. The snow clings to my ankles. In a jumble of thoughts and memories I can recall the black spotted unicorn offering up an invitation into his home and I think, perhaps, if I leave now, I can catch up to him. “I need to find Mauja.” It’s more a thought said aloud than anything I expect the others to respond to. I offer up one last look, paired with a tired nod. Until next time.

Then, the trees devour me whole.

sabriel | 700ish words | that was a bit of a twist, perhaps. thank you all for replying to my thread, I enjoyed getting a taste for each of these awesome characters and I really hope we can all have threads again in the future because this was loads of fun!

@Ilios @Ashamin @Johnny