the Rift

[PRIVATE] threads we weave

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit
belladonna, in italian a beautiful lady; in english a deadly poison.

Her world had somehow inexorably expanded and contracted all at once with Murtagh in her life. At last, she had achieved what she'd always wanted - a family to call her own, made from her own blood and love and dedication. Murtagh was everything she had ever needed and craved, and she looked down at him sometimes and was struck dumb by her all-encompassing love for him. All she wanted was for him to exceed her, to surge far beyond what little Lakota had managed with her pitiful life. Made all the less pitiful because she'd somehow brought him into the world. He was her redemption and salvation in one. And Ktulu, her fears unfounded, had fallen just as in love with the little spitfire they'd made together. They had triumphed over the tests of the Earth God, proven that they were fit to be together and have a child together. Both middle fingers raised to the skies they'd told anyone and everyone who sneered at them to go fuck themselves, and happily kept all prejudice and pain from the boundaries of their little trio of a family. 

Except family was something that was not clearly defined at times. Alleo had seemingly vanished, completely unaware of the fact that Lakota had a foal of her own, that he was an uncle. But what often nagged at her was the reminder that somewhere out there, Ktulu had a daughter of her own. She never brought it up, but the curiosity was nearly lethal for the Poisoner. Had something driven the two of them apart somehow? Or had Ranjiri simply grown old enough to find her own path? Lakota still remembered the little newborn foal, the one she'd given her protective amulet to. Did she still have it, she wondered? Even remember who it was that had given it to her? Or had she grown up always wondering where it had come from and why, and subsequently passed it down, an odd sort of legacy from an unknown benefactor?

Lakota had taken Murtagh on a cross country traveling adventure, never straying too terribly far and never into lands Lakota did not believe were safe for her little prince. The morning was crisp and hued with pinks across the desaturated drifts of snow where her babe lay sleeping curled up next to Aodaun. Lifting herself from the little snow nest they'd made together, she pressed her muzzle gently to the bear's head as he lifted it quizzically. Stay with him. I'm going for a walk. Let him play if he wishes, but don't stray. Ao rumbled happily in response, tightening his hold on the gangly colt, sharing his heat and soft fur with the little body with the absence of his mother. Be safe, Kota. Love you. Lakota smiled down at him, overwhelmed with love for the little pair of them, and trickled it down the thread of their link, no words needed as she let him feel her love flooding down upon his own emotions. 

It was far warmer the closer to the Heart she ventured, and she basked in the relief from the cold. Of petite frame, it was difficult at times for her to weather the harsher elements. Alleo always joked that she did so out of sheer stubborn will than actually being physically fit enough to keep warm. It brought a light smile to her face to remember him, staring down into the molten coals and flickering flames in the center of the rocky expanse. She'd return soon enough to fetch Murtagh if he were still asleep. No doubt he'd enjoy the heat jut as much as she. 

Lakota the Poisoner

veerdesigns | larfsalot
on deviantart
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali

ranjiri

i try not to think
about the pain i feel inside
did you know you used to be my hero?

The heart was only a short distance from the Throat and even though it wasn't my favorite place to be it was warm. After getting stuck out in the meadow in a snowstorm I wasn't too keen on going back there. Honestly, it wasn't terrible because I'd been rescued and made a new friend, but it hadn't been entirely pleasant. Anyways, I figured going to the Heart would be okay even if it didn't hold the best memories for me. It was, more or less, a place for me to go when I felt the urge to be alone (which was increasingly often lately).

I don't know how long I stood staring down at the flames and everything else that swirled around down there, but I became aware of someone else approaching. When I lifted my head and looked I recognized her right away. How could I forget Lakota? I'd spent my childhood growing up in the Foothills where she'd been Momma's best friend and, pretty much, as constant a fixture at her side as I had been. She was the one that had given me the amulet that I'd given to Ryuu. I didn't remember her giving it to me, but I'd asked Momma one time and Momma told me that Kota had given it to me for protection.

For a moment I wondered if I should approach her or if I should leave her alone, but it had been so long since I'd even seen her... 

"Lakota?" I called out to her as I drifted closer. I was well aware that there was the small possibility that I was mistaking someone else for Lakota, but it wasn't enough to make me doubt myself entirely. No, I was confident that I was right and I wondered if she'd recognize me because it really had been a long time ....

"."

Chan

@Lakota

aud pixel!

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit
belladonna, in italian a beautiful lady; in english a deadly poison.

She wasn't alone for long. The heat was unsurprisingly addictive, warming her flesh and chasing away the pervasive chill of the season. It seemed this winter was determined to freeze them all out, or send them into some sort of species crossed hibernation. Ice felt as if it had sunken into the very marrow of her bones, and the warmth was welcome. The waterfalls of her herdland were not always conducive to heat, after all, with the freezing mists of the unfrozen ones always seeming to drench you when you least wanted it. Lakota had hated winter as long as she could remember, if only on behalf of her brother. Seeing him suffer through the season was like an exquisite torture of her own, and she wondered dimly if maybe that was why he'd dropped off the map. It was hard to keep a positive outlook when Hana seemed to have disappeared for good. Her family had crumbled, and though she had been graced with a beautiful new one, one could not simply replace the other.

Belatedly she realized that perhaps she should go fetch Murtagh. Before she could act on the impulse, a voice graced her ears, bumping along the ridges of her name. It had been too long for her to recognize the adult voice, but when she turned towards the speaker, the figure itself was undeniable. And oddly appropriate considering she'd been thinking of the little lady not long beforehand. Surprise etched itself into her features, and she was instantly turning to advance towards the hybrid dame. "Ranjiri?" she called in bemused answer, hooves carrying her ever closer. A smile broke across her face, or a least her version of it - jagged and rusty though it was. Almost sheepish. Nose was instantly thrust towards the younger mare (for she was a mare, not a mere child anymore) in obvious greeting.

"You've grown so much," she breathed through her smile. Oh she couldn't wait to tell Ktulu. Oh god. Ktulu. Ranjiri didn't know anything, much less that she had a baby half-brother or that her mother was a vixen with an interest for foul-mouthed mares. "Are you well? It's been so long, where are you living these days?" Oh gods how the fuck did she even broach the subject? 'Sorry to be the one to tell you, but your mom is totally boning another mare, and surprise we magicaly conceived your half-brother! How about that weather?' She was going to give herself a fucking heart attack at this rate. 

Lakota the Poisoner

veerdesigns | larfsalot
on deviantart
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali

ranjiri

i try not to think
about the pain i feel inside
did you know you used to be my hero?

I guess I had a little bit of doubt that it was Lakota because when she said my name I sighed a little bit in relief. She moved toward me and reached her muzzle toward me and I smiled a little and bumped my muzzle against her own. It was weird seeing her again after so long. I remembered her being so much younger and looking at her now I could see the lines on her face that came with age. Her body had changed too. She was rounder than I remembered, but .... I wasn't going to point that out. "Yeah." I said, instead, because she'd said my name.

"Are you well? It's been so long, where are you living these days?"

"I am." I lied, but I still smiled and hoped that my surprise at seeing her would hide the tiredness in my eyes. "I live in the Dragon's Throat now... with Cera." I continued on even though I doubted Lakota even knew who Cera was. He'd spent most of his time in the Throat with dad while I'd been in the Foothills with Momma...

"How's uhmm... How's my mom?" I asked and then it dawned on me that it was pretty rude to ask about my mom instead of the mare that was standing right in front of me. "And you?" I quickly amended. "I haven't seen you in a long time, either. Are you still living in the Foothills? Err... Falls?" It was still weird to me that the Foothills had turned into the Falls.

"."

Chan

@Lakota

aud pixel!