the Rift

[PRIVATE] shivering sparks scatter.

Rikyn the Puppeteer Posts: 549
Aurora Basin Lord atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 HP: 70 | Buff: SWIFT
Duir :: Royal Cerndyr :: Earth Spirit Bunnie

What if this whole crusade's a charade
And behind it all there's a price to be paid

It wasn’t long before the snow came after I left my father, snow unlike any I had ever seen before in all my life.  Actually, it seemed almost like I had managed to make it to my mother’s moss draped cave to dwell in the memories I would find there, just in time to watch the world become a vast nothingness of white, occasionally darkened by a powerful gust of wind which tossed the falling flakes, some floating like Goliaths among fine ivory powder, in millions of directions, all of them but down.

It seemed a bad omen.  I quickly darted into the cave after the first bought of frigid mountain air and snow accosted me upon approach, quickly leaving with my burlap satchel (which my father had made for me some long while ago, and which I had cleverly stashed in my mother’s den) out towards the forest to the north and west, where Erebos, Aithniel, and I had often played, and which I knew to be lined with caverns along the mountain face, caverns that would not summon insatiable storms of white.

I had planned to journey out in the morning, to try and find my snowy, gold kissed sister, surely fully fledged into a pair of graceful white wings by now, but leaving in the morning is likely going to be impossible; that she doesn’t live here anymore makes me feel nothing but glad for her, mostly because it means that, by some fleeting hope, she has found a place where she is happy and where others are kind to her.  That I will have to find her is of no consequence – it’s my fault, anyway.

I find the same bittersweet smile upon my face as I often do when I think of her, even with the seeming apocalypse outside the stone frame of the cave I’m hiding in.  The smile falters as I wonder if she will accept the Gods I have brought home to her, or if she will even care now that she’s not trapped in this winter land. 

I shake my head, though no one is here to see it.

I shouldn’t doubt so much; Vaelenne would be disappointed.

As if she hears my thoughts and can manipulate the wind so far from her home, a chilly tendril of the white embellished breeze penetrates the slim cover of the cavern’s opening, accosting me with its frigid (yet strangely refreshing) touch.  The powder of snow clings to my black lashes and tangled forelock, joining the collection I had gathered on the journey over in the slow melt and drip to the floor below.

I shiver.

Perhaps I should shake the snow away, I think to myself, and do so, but it is too late to really be of much immediate effect.  My skin is already wet, and it prickles and tightens almost painfully.
Looking out into the damp pine wood that skirts the open valley of the Basin, I occasionally spy the flicker of orange through the rough, dark trunks (when the snow is gusted aside), and though I cannot see it, I can visualize the steam rising from the warmth of the springs.  All of these things would make me much warmer than I am now, but I can also, unfortunately, see the faces of others around each of these objects.

I think I’m quite alright, thank you.  My head is just too full of all the small changes to this seemingly unchanged place to really have room for their names or chatter at this moment.

‘Negativity seems to be your thing,’ playfully prodded Xynia once, ‘maybe you should try being young once in a while.’

I smile, despite the chill besieging me.  Even this far away from the firefly forest of her people, she is offering me advice… or perhaps only haunting me with her memory, her absence my punishment for abandoning those I had loved here, in Helovia.  Either way, I’m better off moving than standing still as stone and just as cold.

Turning about to examine the cavern I have found rather than the falling snow, and trying to chase the negative thoughts from myself, I find it relatively roomy, with the damp, cool smell of not having been used in a long time, its ceilings some ten feet above me and the room itself nearly as deep, widest at some eight feet; it is triangular, and most narrow near the entrance.  The floor slopes into the far left corner of the room, which holds a smooth ring of water in the round stone dip, which has frozen over.  During the summer, I can imagine it thawed and cool, and wonder if it is most often stale or fresh.

Avoiding the slick, frozen puddle, I walk into the cave and find that, despite the sloping right corner, it is relatively flat, and that the edges of the room are packed with fine sand, worn from the stone of the cavern itself.  My bag, sitting towards the front, catches my eye, and gives me an idea for when the thaw approaches, and the shores of the lake are lined again with beaches instead of thick, frozen rings of combined water and sun softened snow, but for now, I have a more immediate idea to pass the time.

Stepping out into the blizzard with a quick step, thanking the dense branches of the pines for the not so deep snow beneath their overhanging boughs, and hoping they held their burdens for long enough for me to pass, I search for some sort of fallen tree branch or similar something, finding a partially rotted trunk of a small tree not many yards from the cavern I’d been taking shelter in.
Grabbing one of the many knots left from its shorn branches in between my teeth, I proceed to fight the shallow (in comparison to the towering drifts elsewhere) layer of snow to drag the thing back to the cavern.  Again shaking myself once there, I tug the large chunk of wood to the far right corner, spending some while propping it up and assuring that it is stable and stuck where I want it.

With a roguish grin that occasionally steals my features when I think of fighting, I threateningly lower my crown at the trunk and take a wide legged stance, my tail curling for balance behind me.  Lunging forward, my golden hooves clicking pleasantly on the stone floor, I swing my head right and then left, so that the length of my horn strikes along the left side of the trunk, the blunt force rupturing the decaying bark into splinters.  Quickly I withdraw, the cold and whatever miseries cling to me forgotten in the increased pace of my heart, my chin tucked low to shield my throat, I shuffle back before suddenly leaping forward again, this time striking the right of the trunk, and then swiftly the left, the crack and click of hooves and horn filling the cavern (and likely the quiet night wood outside) with their staccato rhythm, the stone floor slowly dusted with shards of tree bark.

[ ooc: For Ashamin! ]
For the blood on which we dine
Justified in the name of the Holy and the Divine.

Wishlist - Plots

Force/violence is allowed to be used on Rikyn permitted it does not permanently maim or kill him (PM me!).

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen

How many times am I meant to fail?
How many times must I misinterpret?
What is there to be said, or done,
in the face of nothing?
What am I to do, or say,
if I become nothing?

Sunset woke the pair as powerful forces. In spite of the storm Ashamin pressed forward. He could not spend another night locked away inside his cave, tending to his fire and trying to forget about the mirror at his back. He could not bear to face that failure, again.

And so he had kicked his fire into quiet for the time being, and he had gone to the hot springs, as if they would heal him of the malady that was divine rejection. And he had placed his forehooves in that deep bright water until he feared they would burn. He thought about bringing some sort of purity to his body through a pain that reached the soul. But even that had done him no good--even that had left his companion calling for him, begging for him to go home.

It did seem a bad omen, that weather. And the haruspex swore, as he walked east and away from those bitter hot pools and geysers, that every damned flake was coming straight from the distance, beyond Helovia. Even more, as what little of the sky ahead could be seen through the falling white turned from orange to purple then black, he Felt it.

The change, the threat, and the war of the mirror was coming. Soon, this whole world would change.

Time brought him, snow-soaked but burning with a passionate energy that kept weariness at bay, to stand at the entrance of a mossy cave. It smelled of damp desertion, or something else. Darkness, death, maybe. He didn't know the difference, anymore, between anything like that. As the wounds from his fight with Zandora had slowly healed, and as those mending bones had at last afforded him the mobility to leave his den of locked away wisdom, he had begun to lose the sense of optimism that he was quickly becoming associated with. The anniversary of his father's death had passed, and he had worn the same white cloth that now lay over a pile of tinder in his cave about his face, and he had been reminded: in all places, there was death.

Even now, standing a dark silhouette that would not break himself from shadow, watching the youthfulness of one apparently so keen on a fight that he could not tear himself away from its thrill even in the midst of a storm, he could not forget death.

For a time the buck watched silently, his companion shivering at his side, as chunks of wood scattered and filled the cave. There was a strange violence to the act, an almost frightening one. Ashamin frowned, exchanging a quick glance with his companion, and then let his tail strike the cave.

First, the sparks on his coil travelled to the snow. They skittered across it, electric, and leapt to ice on the walls, to that cool ring of a frozen pond at the young stallion's back. Feebly their remains bit at the damp bark--achingly, they died out. But it had been enough to make an entrance, and so Ashamin stood in the threshold, waiting for a turn of the head, a recognition from this stranger, this youth he'd never seen before. He spoke like he had authority. He spoke like he had a streak of shadow, writhing in his breast. If nothing else, he spoke.

"Looking for a fight, are you, boy?"

ASHAMIN
image credits

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

The wind whistled and roared, my hooves tapped and rattled; with slithering smoothness the scraps of the bark and wood skitter and slide across the stone, occasionally threatening to steal my footing, yet never managing to thwart my assault. The sound of my heart begins to pulse in my ears, and soon I forget that I’m in a cave at all, or that the land outside my focused thoughts is full of wandering others who may or may not be watching me.

The dampness of the melted snow is devoured by the heat that builds in my veins, and with a quick movement, my haunches bundle, my front half rises from the earth and I lunge with the precision Furen demanded in my training. My mother would be proud, if she could see her son in the dance our people perfected, my horn whistling through the air to make an oddly loud crack! which resounds through the cavern and sets my whole head to ringing.

So unexpectedly dazzling is the sound that my ears flatten to my skull, my whole body pitching about wildly with hooves dancing about the spark and flicker of dying light on the floor and walls. It is electricity, I know as much, the same ethereal stuff which ran though my father’s machines, which struck dead beasts from the radiant tip of my dam’s horn, but most prominent of my memories involving lightning and the storm are those of the God who ruled them, his form ensconced in the crackling power that he held mastery over. But from where did it come?

A brief terror that it is the God himself, coming to punish me for abandoning his given task, though as swiftly as it rises the fear fades, similar to the smoke, swirling bleakly through the shadow of the cavern, of the dying embers born from the flash of the sparks; the figure that stands in the threshold of the cave is not the awe inspiring strength of the Lord of Storms, but a small, similarly bihued stallion and a curious, deer-like creature, the stallion wearing a horn that makes me shudder and silently whisper a prayer to the First Gods on his behalf that he had been born so blighted.

My breath is heavy, but the panicked beating of my heart is not due entirely to the rush of swordplay, rather that he has startled me. The rush of my heart grows hard as his words hit my ears; the heaviness of my thoughts return, coating my thoughts in a black veil.

Looking for a fight, are you, boy?” he says, and I feel my chest clench and my guts roil at the taunt hidden in his words. He talks to me like I am nobody, and it makes me narrow my eyes at him and fill my mouth with poison. He is the nobody, for I don’t know his name, so brief his years here that he was not among the faces of my youngest youth. I am far more valid than this stunted man, his crown warped and sloping down his face, glowering at me from the threshold of a cave I had been minding my own damn business in.

"Seems you are," I snottily remark, letting my ears remain flat against my head and my lion’s tail lashing behind me in annoyance.

I want to look away from him, to continue my imaginary battle as if he hadn’t come waltzing in to my private space and handed me a note that said, “please kick me in the eye.” I almost manage to turn around before I find myself glaring at him again, my neck arched and chest pressed forward threateningly, all the training in niceties and princeliness given to me by my dam forgotten in a hot rush of anger that rises up out of me like a red wave. The bark crunches under my hooves, the occasional bright sensation of pain reminding me of the sparks that had arced across the littered cavern floor momentarily, a threat given to a stranger by a stranger, and it makes me want to rip his throat out for treating me as small as I feel on the inside.

My mother might have exterminated him on sight, so rude is his entrance and so impure his appearance, but, to me, it seems wrong to hit someone so obviously loathed by the fates that they made him a jester among kings, his crown flopping and useless along his less than handsome, large nosed face. I'm so mad that I barely notice the white glint of the gem in the knotted mess of his horn.

"Just who the fuck do you think you are, anyway?" comes my voice; it’s so harsh, so hostile, it bites through the whistle of the winter wind outside and makes a metallic hardness flash through the depths of my eyes.

Wishlist - Plots

Force/violence is allowed to be used on Rikyn permitted it does not permanently maim or kill him (PM me!).

Your impatience,
like his but
I love it.

How can I love him
The way I love you,
if he can't even ask for my name?

Despite the warm and familiar howls of the storm at the Haruspex's back, he was unable to block out the sound of hate that filtered out from the cave. This young stallion, whomever he was, had a venom on his tongue that sounded bitter and insatiable. Ashamin had been lucky in that in all his time in Helovia he had not been made to encounter one so unkind as this. He had been fortunate, and he had been foolish. Somehow, he had believed there were no wicked souls in the Basin bunch.

And perhaps this one was not wicked, perhaps he was just impudent. But the irritation in his voice, the need to errantly curse, were two things that Ashamin struggled to respect. Still, he was polite; still, he was the Haruspex. He would bow gracefully and approach in peace, even if it meant facing the real threat of rejection.

"I value the wisdom that can be gained from the clash in a spar, to begin with," he answered with a subtle snorted exhale, remaining where he was at the threshold and not daring to step further. "But I would not say I seek out conflict where there is none," he added, thinking it might be a useful caution. If this creature was as defensive as he seemed, perhaps it would be best to stay out unless invited. Not all opened their homes as this gold-marked paint, did.

Lochan's tiny temper, one Ashamin had never before seen, flared at the emotion present in the dark youth's tone. It was likely the young cerndyr knew nothing of the meaning of the words, of the curses, but the emotion in them was painfully present and Lochan was an attentive creature. Ashamin dipped his nose to nudge his companion's side and brush between the buds of his horns, hoping to ease his tension.

He would give this upstart an honest answer, and keep the reprimands to himself. But if his father had been alive, still, and if he had spoken such words? Well, it would not have been a day to forget.

"I am Ashamin, I was appointed the Haruspex at our herd's last meeting, but I am afraid I did not see you there," he answered cooly, the latter comment more question than criticism but perhaps easy to misinterpret. His long tail waved behind him idly, still sparking on occasion, still catching the last hints of light in dashes of blue.

Rather belatedly, he remembered how the younger buck had looked almost scared, lit up but the blue light of spark. "I apologize if I startled you," he added, his tone lacking the sort of humble apology he might have offered to one of rank or, well, decency.

But he wouldn't give up on this one, yet. And perhaps, if this stranger really was looking for a fight for the right reasons, Ashamin could help.

ASHAMIN
image credits

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.

The coolness with which he defers my arrogant fury is deflating.

It makes me feel stupid, which keeps the ember of my anger alive, but only just; the harshness that has lined my figure until now eases slightly, my golden eyes softening as I come to regret the suddenness of my tongue. I don’t apologize. It’s not really in my nature to care if I’ve wounded the feelings of a stranger, even if he is a herd mate.

Instead, I stand quietly and let him talk, my tail still curling about behind me much like a cats when annoyed as he instead pauses to touch the between the knobby antlers of his young companion. I’d spent enough time around other creatures to know he doesn’t like me very much - I’m not really sure if I should care.

He tells me he’s the Haruspex, which makes my eyebrows rise – not only because I didn’t really expect him to have been someone of as much importance as that, but because he ironically resembles, in ways, the last man I knew to hold that position. I can’t help but wonder what the Time God thinks of his luck, having not only had one funny looking, small stallion as his seer, but two.

Perhaps, I think to myself, there is some correlation with being maimed and having a deeper insight in the realm of the spirit, and the intangible.

I think I would rather be as I am, if that is the case.

These thoughts distract me from the rest of his statement, which I find myself having to piece back together in retrospect in the seconds following the pause of his words. The ember of my anger flashes brightly, but does not catch.

"Perhaps because the last meeting which I attended was overseen by my mother," I say with narrowed eyes, looking upon the bihued stallion with some measure of daring, my ears still held in a position of hostility but my tone more defiant than angry, as they had been before, "another wore your title then."

I challenge him to deny the truth of my words with an unbroken stare. I can throw fancy titles around too, see?

He says he is sorry if he startled me. I don’t know if I believe him, and surely I am not going to admit as much to the uselessly horned man before me. Looking away from him after a rather visible twinge of my face, I find myself lying, a low rumble of words breaking from my lips.

"You didn’t," is my remark, looking back at him for the first time with my ears raised, rather than reversed in memory of the sudden outrage that had filled me upon being startled and mocked. I don’t want him leaping in afterwards with an accusation that I’ve been untruthful, and quickly jump in with further conversation, trying to lighten the tension in the air which almost crackles around us.

"You don’t look like much of a fighter," I say, running my eyes over his slender build and his short stature, his dangling blade almost the least of his physical concerns when it comes to combat; maybe its rude, but its true, and I have never been one to curb my words for the sake of another’s feelings.

Wishlist - Plots

We are separate entities
for as long as the wind blows in from the East.

Through every war
and conflict, in pairs
your strikes will never be mine.

Thought perhaps Ashamin would always fail to notice all that Lochan did, he was still perceptive. And he took note of the upstart's tone, even as it settled down. There was something there--contempt, maybe?

The Haruspex wasn't sure. But he knew this was a more tense situation than most. And for some reason, standing atop that incline looking down at the cave dweller, Ashamin felt dominant. That had never been the case before, not in his childhood and not once since coming to the Aurora Basin, either. He even struggled to feel in control of his companion, most days.

But it was this fellow's impudence, really, his unwarranted pride, that made Ashamin feel that much bolder. Oh, so his mother had lead before? That was good, impressive--for her. This boy had played no part in it. Ashamin let his long tail lash with obvious irritation behind him. How often did this young stallion use his mother's old rank to make himself feel stronger? He was nothing but a bully riding along on the coattails of his ancestry.

Fool.

It was rare for Ashamin to have such a temper, but there was something in this spitfire's lack of resolve that rubbed the paint the wrong way. He wanted to seem tough, but his only achievements belonged to others. He wanted to give off a sense of ownership of this place, this situation, but he wavered even in his anger--couldn't maintain a level of rudeness before letting himself be so easily shamed into veiling it. He wanted to prove his own worth, but all he could do was put down Ashamin's own stature.

The paint was glad this creature's mother was no longer in charge of the herd--he wouldn't have found it easy to respect anyone who had raised such a brat.

He would have walked deeper into the cave, but he would not abandon his manners even in the face of one so unrefined, and Lochan's careful touch held him back, too. He exhaled, slowly, his breath turning a hot white in the air before quickly diffusing in the wind of the storm that raged at his back.

He would have gone closer, would have shown this fellow the two angry scars that draped elegantly across his hindquarters. If you didn't know what they were from, the mistake that had led to their genesis, they served as a threat. Ashamin didn't intend on telling this one anything about their origin.

"The resolve to defend honorably has nothing to do with appearance," Ashamin said smoothly, curtly. "But if that's how you think the matter is best viewed, then by all means, consider me by your own standards. It's true, I haven't been here as long as some others or long enough to see your mother's accomplishments, and perhaps I have misinterpreted this herd's soldier's code," the Haruspex went on, fueled by the embers of spite. Lochan, nervous, started pacing and hung his head as he moved to stand under his bonded and out of the snow's direct path. The sting of that cold air was growing stronger, now.

"I would like to hope otherwise, however," Ashamin ended, his eyes once trained on the ground flashing up to meet the younger stallion's. There, in the black, a calculated frustration grew.

ASHAMIN
image credits

He stands there in the door, taking in all my youthful pride and biting words with the frosty wind to his back, tousling his bihued hair about his slender body. I feel the sweat that has built upon my flesh grow chilly as my heart ebbs in its pace, I can feel each touch of the breeze as it slips past him in this unwarranted waste of time; he smells like smoke, I just now notice.

At first, he answers me with a glare, which is soon followed by words, words which I take in and reply to with a soft smirk, mostly because it is how anyone answers such a childish, hopeful notion.

An idealist, I think to myself, nearly laughing at him in mockery for the foolishness of his statement. What a wonderfully safe world it would be if the desire to be a warrior made one truly powerful. I let my eyes slip across his slender body again, knowing from my slender experience in the field of combat how easily those bones would break without a coating of muscle to protect them, how small he is in comparison the brawny strength of men truly built to bring others to their knees, and I let the touch of my eyes answer his sarcasm with a coldness that reads how little I care for his theological nonsense.

I have grown among the strong, consider myself to have grown into one of the strong. I know my own when I see them.

His companion paces. I glance at him, not noticing that he is uncomfortable, only looking long enough to find no threat in his movement, and swiftly return my eyes to the larger of the strangers.

My smirk grows cold, my youthful face frowning and my golden eyes meeting him without flinching. Furen had been advanced in his talents and a great teacher, and he was not soft on me. There were times I was sure I wouldn’t be able to walk in the morning, so deep were the bruises he’d left on my body (and yet, somehow, each day I rose, I rose to take his challenge, and eventually, I became eager to meet him on the field, and to deliver the bruises that once I had only earned). While I wear no scars, the laws of the Nightwalk having forbid my tutor from breaking my skin, I have paid my dues.

That this Ashamin suggests a warrior can be made with “honor” makes the ember in my chest flare, so much so that I miss a similar rising in the Haruspex's black eyes. My gaze feels molten as I feel my hooves move beneath me, taking a step closer, then another.

Leave it to a philosopher to speak of things he knows nothing of.

"Now, isn’t that an idea," I answer with as much sass as I’ve given most of this conversation, my eyes rolling sarcastically as my words close, "to claim victory with resolve, that no man ever dies while being honorable! I might have saved so many hours of training if only I’d known.”

I’m being impetuous, and I know it. My mother would have already knocked my lights out. That this man hasn’t only further proves he is no warrior. He stands in the cold touch of the wind and uses words to uphold the respect he should demand with his sinew.

My skin is trembling. I realize that I can’t tell whether its from the cold, or from the tension that I have allowed to wrap tightly around my brain, strangling out most of my finer thoughts.

His companion shifts again.

I was going to open my mouth to continue my rebuttal (something about how, if he was a fighter, then I was a pretty lady with flowing pink locks) when I notice the movement. I’m no good at this guessing thing like mother was, and puzzle for the briefest of seconds over his strange motions. Is it fear that moves him, or the cold? Perhaps it is a will to defend…

The thought inspires shame; I was taught - I have striven - to be bigger than this.

My eyes shift away from the bonded pair and move towards the floor, which is covered in a fine veneer of eddying snow that dances in the wind, a transparent ribbon of ethereal ice. It’s so strikingly beautiful, so stunningly different from the tumult of emotions that rages through me in its graceful serenity. It is a shame to soil such beauty with anger, to threaten it with the sticky warmth of blood.

I am just so… so very tired, at least my heart; my body is very much awake, fueled by the endless ribbon of my thoughts. I shouldn’t be so ruthless towards him; he didn’t chase mother away, get me lost, lose my friends, cause the blizzard, or ask to be a part of the change that had startled me so much; he didn’t even really do anything to me at all, at least not on purpose.

I meet his face again, breath a long, heavy sigh, trying to let most of my hot anger escape with it.

"Look," I say slowly, trying to force my voice to remain even (though I still find I would rather shout at him), "it’s been a long day for me, okay?"

The closest thing to an apology he’s going to get.

[ OOC: omg it has taken forever to get this thing out. :| *kicks rikyn out the window* ]

Wishlist - Plots

I'll bite skin off your back
Kick your teeth to your throat
Give me one second,
and I'll show you what I have.

Unless you can offer apology,
unless I can find some forgiveness.

You're lucky I have it,
in wealth, in abundance.

Ashamin was just about to turn around and walk into the storm. He had heard enough, he had had enough, he was done with this. And though the Haruspex prided himself on being able to control his temper, he felt the rush of distaste inside him to be something other than anger. No, it was more like a responsibility to discipline. To challenge this boy now would not be out of spite or dislike, but in an effort to teach him that he wasn't invincible, and that Ashamin was not to be disrespected.

Maybe a little earlier in the season the haruspex wouldn't have had such pride. But he'd earned this position, he'd met and earned the trust of all the leads of this herd, and they respected him. If the reaper, laurelin, and Hotaru all thought he had something valuable to contribute to the herd as a haruspex, then this child of their predecessor--clearly unsuccessful in her rule if she no longer held the position--had no right to say otherwise.

And he had even started to turn, begun to face that white blizzard. He would have gone out and yelled back, challenged the younger buck to join him out there and fight if he was so damn sure he was right.

But the second remark, tinged with something that the haruspex sensed was an apology, was enough to ease the anger. And Lochan's gentle flash of the outside cold helped, too. He didn't want to put his companion through the strain of his own sudden flash of impatience. He would relax. He would accepted.

Ashamin's long tail fell quietly to the ground, a few humble sparks skittering out into the snow and trailing up into the wind. He had turned and allowed the caves inhabitant a glimpse of his gold, gaping scars. Now he turned back, showing his quieter, unmarked side.

"It's alright," Ashamin said in his own way of apology and acceptance given the circumstances, "so have I."

The wind howled at the painted buck's back, ruffling the longer patches of white fur that were scattered across him. His black eyes searched to find some deeper intention in the younger boy's gold. It was a whole scene of empty eyes, bold in their lack of interruption. "Would you bid me to enter?" he asked finally, sighing, back sloping, legs shivering faintly in the cold. "If not me, then at least my companion. He's still too young to wait in such harsh weather," came the final selfless suggestion. Ashamin could bear the cold. Let Lochan be allowed into shelter.

Ashamin could weather a lot of grief and pain.
ASHAMIN
image credits

As Ashamin turns, the glint of gold upon his slender haunches draws my eyes; strange.

The smoke smell grows strong as he moves and lets the wind touch new places of him, making the air smell ironically warm and comfortable despite the shivering that besieges my damp, sweat lined skin and his own, nearer to the blizzard which wails its sorrowful and heavy song outside.

These are the backdrops to my thoughts which touch upon the shining metal, the strangest natural born marking I have ever seen, and so I deduce that it is not natural, that its reminiscence to the jagged white scars I have seen on the pelts of aged, seasoned warriors is not to be mistaken for a pretty trinket given to him at birth by the artistic fingers of creation, as the gilded detail upon my own frame.

Those are wounds born of a horned thing, a being with two blades which rest alongside the ears (or incredibly accurate in their aim with a single blade, to create such parallel markings), much like my darling Aithniel, or my uncle; I have even seen a dragon or two with horns such as these. The scar itself is much larger than those that I can compare it to, and I wonder for a while just how close to dying the little man came when he encountered whatever ramming force had nearly hewn his right hip off.

His tail, long and banded in the strange metal object that had “sparked” this whole debacle into life, drops to the stone floor, again emitting a few dazzling arcs of lightning. I look at the object as if it’s a venomous snake, like I look at most things I don’t understand and which pose some obvious air of threat, but the look is fleeting, my stubborn refusal to seem weak in front of anyone drawing my eyes away from the frightfully foreign coil and to his face, his blackened gaze.

“It’s alright,” he says, claiming to have had a long day as well.

I grunt in response, not really sure what else to say about it, but it doesn’t really seem he was looking for one, anyway. For a good while, we stand in the uncomfortable, crackling silence that is born after an agreement to discontinue a disagreement, and I can’t help but feel like I’m being judged.

No gavel sounds, but Ashamin’s voice, his words luring my eyes back down to the strange, dark deer creature, the softened glow of compassion brightening my weary and aggravated gaze for the fleetest of moments.

"Fine," I say, back peddling some steps so that I am nearest the rear of the cave, leaving ample room for the smaller, painted stallion and his young friend to enter the space, having no need to be nearer to me than they were now. It’s still pretty damn cold inside, but at least the wind doesn’t reach in here as bad.

"He should move if he is chilled," I say as an afterthought and in some attempt at the typical niceties which pass between herd mates, an ear flicking back and one of my legs slipping into a posture of comfort, rather than hostility, "blood warms where it rushes."

Wishlist - Plots

He should move if he is chilled.

Ashamin blinked, slowly. It was in some sort of recognition of that flickering of kindness, or perhaps resign, in the younger stallion. What was his name? Ashamin had expected it to come after his own introduction but had been offered nothing. He was tired of having nothing to call the boy.

The moment was still, suspended, awkward. Ashamin lowered his head to nudge his companion further into the cave, but was met with instant resistance. Lochan brayed faintly, turning back and burying his head between Ashamin's stiff and shivering knees. The Haruspex flattened his ears against his head and took a few mock steps forward, remembering Lochan's preference to lead when they walked together. The cerndyr did as expected, bounding ahead quickly, falling into shadow. The paint held back, holding Lochan there with his gaze when the little one looked back in confusion.

Stay, he implored, feeling the cave's owner fade away as the interaction became about his connection with Lochan. After a few moments the cerndyr conceded, slumping to the stone a fair distance away from the more hostile youth and looking forlornly out at the snow.

"Thank you, for that kindness. Might I ask your name?" Ashamin asked then, turning from Lochan to the dark one in the cave's shadows. "I'd like to speak with you, and learn from you of this herd's past, but only if I have something I can call you along the way."

His long tail flicked up, its peppered hairs clogging fast with ice and snow. His hooves, too, were so filled with the stuff from his trek that they appeared to have lost their clefts. Maybe with a conversation, one that put this younger stallion in a comfort zone, on his own turf, Ashamin himself would be invited in. As it were he stood, still weathering the cold, still waiting for hostilities to fade.

""

ASHAMIN
image credits

Not much to my surprise, the deer-thing does not immediately enter the cave, remaining stalwartly at the side of his companion with a strange bleating murmur. What is curious is that the painted Haruspex remains in the threshold, rather than entering, perhaps shy to the notion that I might so easily drop my offense towards him and allow him in.

Even after the little shadow creature skitters into a darkened bit of the cave, Ashamin remains in the cold reach of the snow, even when those large white eyes of his soul bound beast look out at him with a pleading that even my dense sensibilities perceive.

I look from one to the other, my face bleeding just how little I care for whatever interpretation they take of my offer to either of them, finally settling on the unicorn as his voice breaks the monotonous whistle of the wind outside.

My damp skin ripples in a chilled quiver in an effort to keep itself from freezing. I stoically ignore the sensation, for better or worse; my coat is thick, and yet even now I can feel the warmth of my body struggling against the chill of the sweat that evaporates more slowly than it frosts.

How ungodly cold that wind outside; beneath me, I let my legs shift every so often, keeping the blood moving through their thin flesh.

"Rikyn," I offer in a puff of white breath frozen on the wind, not bothering to lie about the name which was given to me as I might a stranger to this snowy vale, as I have before in my life, creating a myriad collection of masks which I might adorn at will. That he wants to ask me about this land makes my heart warm towards him all the more, purring with satiated ego, and that I am confident I can answer his questions is written in every muscle of my body as I more eagerly turn towards him, my golden eyes shining in an interest that has yet to be relinquished in our meeting.

As long as he does not another regaling of my adventures, stretched thin and aching already in their telling to my sire, he can know whatever he wants of the Basin. It gives purpose to the endless hours of my mother’s stories while we walked from one place to another, and it makes me feel useful.

"What do you want to know?"

Wishlist - Plots

I didn't expect to ask this then or
ever, maybe I was hoping
for something more than the answer
I will be given,
thy will be done.

"A pleasure, then, Rikyn." Ashamin said quietly, shuffling further in the cave now that the uncomfortable setting was easing into something more hospitable. Lochan brightened immediately, making a small chirp-like sound at the Haruspex's quiet approach and drawing attention to it. Ashamin slowed, and stopped. Rikyn was speaking again.

What did the Haruspex want to know? And from Rikyn, too, of all the equids in this herd. Ashamin had asked the question half expecting the boy's enthusiastic ego to carry him down a tale without any further prompting. But now that he was asked about the origin of his question, the origin of the herd, he wasn't certain what to ask in particular.

He considered asking about the God of the Spark, but feared that if he was as elusive as He appeared to be, Ashamin might find no answer in Rikyn. What of the herd's old leads, then? Perhaps that was a good question. But no, there was something else, something he'd wanted to know for a much longer time, something he'd always been scared to ask.

"Why does the herd only accept unicorns?"

His voice shook ever so slightly, but it could have been played off as an effect of the cold. His heart trembled, but it could have been played off as a shudder of exhaustion. He wanted to know. He needed to know. He feared the answer.

Up until then he had told himself it was a haven, that the herd had perhaps protected Unicorns once in a time of persecution. He could understand a banding together in a time of fear. But anything else...? He wasn't sure of a reasonable explanation that would sit well in his moral breast.

"I've met so many in this herd, each loyal to different religions and ways of thinking, but never has one of them explained the uniqueness of our population," Ashamin added quietly. Perhaps he sounded a bit desperate; he couldn't look Rikyn in the eyes. "I just thought you might know."

""

ASHAMIN
image credits

He lies.

I don’t know for sure, of course, but when less than five minutes prior the man looked at me like an insect that needed to be swatted into the wall (thus reminded of its smallness), I find I can’t take much from his statement that it is a pleasure to have met me. It certainly hasn’t been a pleasure meeting him, not by my standards, more a disastrous clash of personalities that, had it been a different day, might have genuinely been what he calls it.

I bob my head in mock agreement. That’s what I’m supposed to do, right, acknowledge he’d said something?

Either way, the statement or the motion of my head (perhaps both) makes him comfortable enough to come in, his hooves and tail trailing white chunks of snow among the russet bark and wood. I hadn’t noticed until now that they are layered in white, and that his hooves, compacted with the stuff, and think to myself that they are probably aching, even as a shiver lightly traces along my figure, less harsh than those which had come first.

I find myself looking at them while he ponders what question he wants to ask. I’d half expected him to have one waiting for me, and that he takes the time to think of one lets my idle, young mind wander off on such ventures as to how much of the evening has slipped by in our awkward social encounter, or how it seems my body is finally gaining some ground on the sweat slicked chill of my frame.

His voice, which has been smooth and even throughout our conversation (perhaps riled by anger at points, but never this shivering wisp of a thing he uses now), trembles through the air, along the lines of his question. My eyes widen, surprised he does not know, wondering precisely how far this herd has slipped out its designated path that their own Haruspex doesn’t know the history of its cultures, forgetting the reluctance that had found itself while he asked, childishly thinking nothing of it or the fact that he cannot meet my golden eyes which search him in wonder of his ignorance.

I guess it makes sense if he is new here and those here have not been forthcoming of our history. Perhaps they, too, do not know – which is a shame. The Aurora Basin and the unicorns within have outlasted many forces which sought to destroy them, to defile the golden glory of their virtuous cause and purpose.

"It has always been so," I answer, hearing my mother’s satin voice ripple through my thoughts, feeling the swell of pride in my breast that I knew the stories, that I remembered, "ever since the Frostheart and the Dark Empress claimed right to the World’s Edge, even after the people were driven from the Moon’s wood by the Qian and their fierce Dragon Queen, Mirage. Before then, too, though I never learned the stories to be more than legends…either way, the God of the Spark appeared to the unicorns, a God who had never before been seen in Helovia, and led them here, to the Basin, a land seemingly made for their people, as none but the God himself had walked its valley before then.”

I do not name their clandestine accomplices, the name of the group of murderers and wolves which had gathered at my mothers summons - the Plague. While my mother’s eyes do not watch, my father is still here, and I can feel the dark shadow of Deimos’ eyes watching the land; in all honesty, I fear them and their retribution more than I ever have my dam.

"I know of no precise reason, but have speculated, as have my kin. The Empress shared tales of her birth land with my dam," I explain further, "it was a land which was divided by race as we now do here on our own, a land which was ruled by the horned. For the Lady Psyche, I believe it was comfort which drove her to her own blood, and of course ambition. I do not know why the Frostheart took such a path; all I know is that we have never cast away their laws, and that many would not seek to, that few challenge them. Who would, when an unknown God saw fit to bless them both with a land, to appear to them first? It is almost as if He approved of their course.”

Growing distant, my golden eyes dim, my mind retracting to the firefly wood and the mammoth cave at its heart; I think of the Starpool and its deep, endless waters, and I feel my heart swell with the resolve that the God of the Spark, son and creation of the First Gods, had indeed placed a benevolent seal of approval on the somewhat violent aims of the Plague and the greater herd that hid them.

"We have a vast right to this world, Ashamin," I say, finding focus again on the black eyed Haruspex, my tail curling with an absent pleasure behind me, "a right which time and time again is presented to us on the lips of Gods. Perhaps that is truly why the Aurora Basin only allows unicorns."

Wishlist - Plots

What arrogant fools
and thin-hearted beasts
This land bore in the past
But look, it seems one still remains.

At first, the answer was innocent enough. It was a matter of religion, a matter of history; as Haruspex and as Ashamin, the paint was able to understand and respect these powerful forces. So he listened with great intent as Rikyn wove a historical tale, wondering all the while how he hadn't ever heard any of it before.

But that was not something he could dwell on.

As the story wore on, Ashamin unconsciously walked further into the cave's enveloping warmth. Lochan wasted no time in closing the gap, pressing his brow against Lochan's knee affectionately. Lochan was scared, and as Rikyn wore on Ashamin began to understand why.

There was pride, in this cave: one of the most powerful and threatening forces Ashamin had ever known. And though the paint had been raised to never feel it himself, he had seen it. He had known, too, that it was part of why his mother had been in the cold and away from her herd on the night of Ashamin's birth--part of the reason she'd died, perhaps.

He wouldn't let it take him, and he wouldn't let it take his herd.

Ashamin narrowed his eyes--his tail slapped against his own legs impatiently. "A good thing that such arrogance is in this herd's history, then," he answered pointedly when Rikyn concluded at last. "To be granted a gift like this by the Gods... it is a miracle, truly. To hold onto that as right is a fool's errand--do not implicate me in in, Rikyn."

It was harsh, perhaps, but Ashamin needed to make himself clear. He needed to show that he was standing on firm ground that had perhaps once been created by a God but not for moral abhorrence. The Basin as it stood now was a testament to that: proud, but not superior. They held no right, as far as Ashamin had seen--simple a noble integrity and a will to survive together.

It was camaraderie, not right.

[[Sorry for the wait!]]
""

ASHAMIN
image credits

Well placed in his rank if his interest is any evidence, my tongue waggles and his hooves cross the stone with a steady cadence; the deer beast bounds across the remaining space between them to envelope his bonded in an embrace of his short neck, and occasionally I can feel his eyes find me. I get the sense that, while the painted unicorn may have eased into my company, his small friend has not – even though I have successfully cooled the anger which swept through me, hot and irrational, unkempt in my youth and arrogance.

What is still unrestrained is my pride, which I doubt will ever find ropes which hold it. I was raised by two unicorns who were proud of their pure lineage, as I would be of mine, and I will be damned if I ever care that this arrogance, this truth, strikes wounds like whips into the soft hearts of half breeds and the hornless, or that it scalds the gentle sensibilities of my kinder kin. Within my heart is a prayer for eternity, and for those who will come after me, and it is with this boldness that I tell the tale of my people, that I pull Ashamin into the beautiful conquest of Loorien that I have seen in the deep waters of the Starpool.

I cannot help that, for whatever reason, my words have wounded him.

His eyes narrow, his tail lashes and his ears pull back in agitation towards me. I find that my own ears fall back defensively, but rather than a snarl of anger, a soft smirk flickers to life on my lips, one that is soft and mocking. That Ashamin speaks of pride being in the past of such a herd as this, ruled and guided by those it looks to, is almost enough to make me laugh – I manage not to only out of respect for his seniority, and his rank.

Has he not met Thranduil (my father had shared enough of the changes for me to know that my mothers literal golden boy – his swollen hubris outmatching, perhaps, even her mammoth ego - was now the Lord alongside Deimos), or the Time God himself?

Like so many of our kin, this man is lost, deluded by the illusion, by the vain mortal hope, that the world is as it should be; his soul bleeds for the weak, for the imperfections which mar the beauty which might be had in their absence. So used to the sight of their winged figures and their hornless faces as to believe that they are a truth which has always been, rather than the deeper truth that these beings were never meant to be, that they are accidents who shattered the serenity made for us by the First Gods – and, perhaps this Ashamin is not of pure blood, or perhaps he is only warped by the imbalance that ravages Loorien in the absence of our creators. Perhaps he feels fear when he thinks of the death, of the thick rivers of blood that will flow if the truth becomes known to more than just the few who remember the oldest tales.

"A miracle, a right," I state with a devious glint to my eyes, a mocking roll of my shoulder, "it does not change that a God condoned the moral path of our fore leaders. It seems more foolhardy to ignore the truths found in the past to suit the softness of your heart, Ashamin."

Wishlist - Plots

--

So it really wasn't going to be that easy, then.

Ashamin had nurtured some foolish hope. He had believed, faintly but resolutely, that Rikyn's speech would take a more sympathetic turn. But with every word Ashamin lost faith in the youth. He struggled to find a way to reconcile his loyalty to the herd, his own attempts to befriend all within it, with Rikyn's hard-headed ignorance.

Perhaps the Haruspex could teach him, something. But Ashamin knew just by catching the gold boy's expression and the glint in his eye that such a task would be difficult at best. And clearly Rikyn could not be convinced to learn anything through words alone. No, action would be necessary.

The paint finally gathered himself enough to frown at Rikyn. Such continued insult to the herd he so loved was growing to tiresome to respond to, and the haruspex had to force himself not to lash his lightning tipped tail along the cave wall again.

"Just as it seems foolhardy to manipulate them to suit your aching one, boy," he snapped against his better judgement, only just barely managing to contain the disappointed hostility in his tone. Hew as aiming for a quick, witty response, but he knew his emotions ran to high to disguise his true feelings. At his feet, Lochan anxiously shifted about and started pushing towards the entrance. "Perhaps the two of us should spar soon, Rikyn. Unless you can't bring yourself to clash with such a soft-hearted fool."

It was a challenge. It was stooping to Rikyn's ignorant level, and Ashamin knew better. Only he didn't care, not anymore. And as he wandered back to the cave entrance, not wishing to deal with the cold but unable to stay here any longer, he found himself caring too much about Rikyn's reply.

What was such hate worth, anyway?

""

ASHAMIN
image credits

@Rikyn Ugh, so sorry Bunnie for the wait, this one (and let's face it everything else) fell off the map a bit for me. Perhaps wrap it up soon/nowish? We can thread again soon and we have the fortify meeting, too.

There is hostility thriving in the cavern again, even I’m not too absorbed in myself to notice, and for once, it is not my anger which heats the air with almost tangible electric crackles, which holds my eyes fast on the slope horned man in my cave. My lips still smile, a soft curve which mocks his outrage, which challenges his logic with the cool confidence of my own. I thoroughly trust in my chosen path – all Ashamin’s anger teaches me is that, perhaps, he questions his more often than a man his age should.

The off chance that my words instill fear in him flickers as a thought, my eyes trailing again down the strange, useless figure of his horn which sweeps down his homely features, lingering on the tip that should be a weapon, not some perverse mockery of our race. It could be he is not pure – which, honestly, is none of my regard, for he looks the part and surely could play it if he chose, though I pity his offspring born broken as their ancestors who lost their magic so long ago.

I bless the Gods for the purity of my lineage, that I will not have to slaughter my own blood to walk among the sacred.

I am torn from my thoughts by the harsh words which snap from his lips like snakes reaching for a passing limb, and for only the briefest of moments does my smile falter – because then he challenges me, a flurry of words cast over his shoulder as he turned to leave (and I would let him, because it meant that I had won our little verbal argument), and I find the smirk revitalized on my lips.

Never will I claim to be modest, for I believe in my strength and my training, and I find it unlikely that Ashamin will leave the spar he calls for as proud as he is now; I eye the tesla coil, and ponder about just what sort of gifts might be bestowed to a God’s chosen seer, but there is a recklessness in my young heart that makes these considerations only singular flashes in the over eager storm of my thoughts.

"Morning of the first thaw," I dictate with a facetious smile, giving me time to train for the spar, and the Haruspex the same advantage, "just before first light. Your place."

I assume, of course, that his place is where the mirror is, where Kahlua’s blue black scorpion watches the valley and the smooth, unfreezing waters of the lake with gemstone eyes. I will ascertain as much in the morrow, or whenever the stupid blizzard slows up outside – surely it won’t be hard to figure out.

[ OOC: It's okay! I know how life goes, and school is more important than a game. :P We don't cost you lots of money lololol ]

Wishlist - Plots